Reports say future Pac-12 has new TV deal with Fox, ESPN

Comments

• mcdugall Layton, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Is there any doubt which school came out ahead?

Utah-PAC 12, huge TV contract ~20mill annually, Rose Bowl, better bowl opportunities, AQ conference

BYU - ~3.5 million Annually, Armed Forces Bowl, Poinsettia Bowl, Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, no guaranteed BCS appearance

Thoughts?

• MESOUTE Karchaj, A.V.
    May 3, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Before my fellow Utes get on here and start pounding their chests, I would just like to remind them all (myself included) where we came from and that money does not great sports programs produce. We need to keep up our blue collar work ethic that our coaches have instilled (or will instill in the case of hoops). Money is great, but it won't make us a winner. That will come from great coaches, finding great kids who want to suit up and show up for the Utes. The money won't hurt though.

• Big_Ben SLC, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:47 a.m.

It's a great day to be a Ute!

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:53 a.m.

That is some serious money going to the schools. I wonder what the Ute's share is.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 3, 2011 8:54 a.m.

"12-year television contract with Fox and ESPN that is the most valuable in college sports."

Deep breaths trolls, deep breaths.

As I have said all along. The PAC12 is now the pinncale of College athletics. Personally I thought it would be bigger ( 250 million per year) but the Fox/ESPN combo sounds perfect.

Although it doesn't need to be said, I must say....I'ts GREAT to be a Ute!

• Jim Marshall Clearfield, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Wow. 2.7 BILLION! 19 million per year for the utes. That is a lot of money.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:06 a.m.

Utah is always following in Big Brother's footsteps.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:08 a.m.

I like what I'm hearing. ESPN and FOX!?! What a great combo! Talk about national exposure. The most widely available cable and satelite sports network as well as access to one of the best broadcast sports networks. I don't know how you could get access to more sports fans. I am relieved to see that Comcast is not part of the deal.

CougarBlue,

The Utes will get an equal share. This deal is big enough to wipe out the USC and UCLA special funding clause. This deal also might be outside the phazed in deal on existing revenue. My understanding is that the Utes would be phazed in over 3 years for existing revenue streams. However, as we've already seen with the Championship game revenue, this is new revenue negotiated after the Utes were signed on. So this may come starting July 1, 2011. Does anyone have definitive answer on that?

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:14 a.m.

BYU will be in bigger Bowl Games more often than Utah...Oregon, Washington, USC, etc will be in the Rose Bowl...the Utes will have played the teams in the Rose Bowl though.

BYU is fine...just watch and see.

Utah is doing well also...but don't get too carried away now.

• MESOUTE Karchaj, A.V.
    May 3, 2011 9:16 a.m.

@cougarblue

The Utah share next year is 2.5 million share from the championship game revenue.

2012-2013 (first year of new deal) would be upwards of 5 million (25%)

2013-2014 would be upwards of 10 million (50%)

2014-2015 would be upwards of 15 million (75%)

2015-2016 would be upwards of 20 million (100%) when full membership is granted.

Only down year is next and we will still make more than what we did in the MWC. It gets better from there. I have no problem with the grading scale on payouts. The other teams have equity, many years of equity, in the league.

• Big_Ben SLC, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:31 a.m.

"BYU fans are going to try and justify this until they are blue in the face, but make no mistkae, this hurts to see."-Hans Olsen, former BYU defensive lineman.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:35 a.m.

Hondo,

Following who? Let's replay a little bit. The Utes played in two BCS bowl games before BYU has gotten even one invitation. The Utes lead the overall football series with BYU. The Utes basketball team has had more success historically in the NCAA tournament than BYU while matching up well over the years in head to head match ups. Of course our basketball team has been down recently, but I'm talking over the long haul. The Utes were invited to the PAC-12 before BYU anounced they were going independent.

I see very little evidence of the Utes as a little brother following BYU. That attitude from you BYU fans really is annoying.

• minerman Pomona, CA
    May 3, 2011 9:42 a.m.

MESOUTE, you need to go back and check your numbers again. We get the 2.5 million from the championship game, but

2012-2013 (first year of new deal) would be upwards of 10 million (50%)

• MESOUTE Karchaj, A.V.
    May 3, 2011 9:48 a.m.

@cougarblue,
    My apologies, my pay grade was wrong. The Utes go from only sharing the championship tv deal money next year (2.5 million) directly to a 50% share in 2012-2013(10 million) and then to 75% (15 million) and finally 100% share in 2014-2015 (20 million).
    Just confirmed with Chris Dodds, I was wrong in my initial post. This news is better.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Mormon Ute- Annoying? More like hilarious! ridiculous!

• MESOUTE Karchaj, A.V.
    May 3, 2011 9:57 a.m.

That is correct minerman. I already checked the figures and confirmed them with Chris Dobbs. My inquiry to him was whether Utah graduated from 0% share in 2011-2012 to 25% or 50% in 2012-2013. This was his reply:

0-50 correct
    Direct message sent by Dennis Dodd (@dennisdoddcbs) to you (@MesoUte) on May 03, 9:42 AM.

So I did check, I was correct in my second post, hope this satisfies you.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:59 a.m.

Wow that massive whiring sound you here isnt' a tornada!! it's troll nation hard at work at their spin machines cooking up a heeping load of spin!!

Who would have thunk??? Does this meet the "exclusive" deal category with ESPN I here so much about on here??

Hey when did ESPN add a "regional" TV network??

What was that you trolls were saying agian about the PAC never matching the SEC or Big10 dollars because they lack the appeal????

I'll sit back and wait for Sammgwhite and the 7 trolls to answer these questions.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:46 p.m.

Congratulations!

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:49 p.m.

This will forever change University of Utah athletics. lets hope the huge increase in funding for the athletic department does not go to their heads and they are able to manage the department as successfully as they have. I sense some huge investments in athletic facilities being announced on July 1.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:50 p.m.

BYU got the deal they wanted.

Utah got the deal they wanted.

All the banter back and forth is to be expected from two close rivals.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:52 p.m.

mcdugall --
    Far as I can see both BYU and Utah come out ahead of where they were previously. Both are accomplishing the goals set for them by their respective institutions. Utah's goal is to maximize athletic revenues and to align themselves with like-minded academic institutions that will progress its research agenda and fundraising - goal accomplished. BYU's goals were to increase exposure, set its own agenda and to "stay out of the fray" of the nasty side of collegiate athletics as much as possible - and if along the way they increase revenues, so be it -- goal accomplished.

Not sure why it has to be a "neener neener we got more", kind of thing. In my view both groups did what they wanted to do.

All the claims that this will automatically make either side better are just guess work. It is up to administrators, coaches and players to do their part with these new opportunities. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink - right?

And before you get all wound up -- I am an avid Ute fan and a long time member of the Crimson Club.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Anything would have been better than watching another football season on the mountain, but Ute fans have to feel like they just won the lottery. Not only did we escape the Mountain, but we went to the power conference that just landed the biggest TV deal in the history of college sports.

The money is great but I'm just glad that the University of Utah is out of the obscurity the Mountain channel created.

• nick Provo, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:15 p.m.

That is great news for Utah. BYU's deal is not as good, but it is much better than had they remained in the Mountain West Conference. What most people don't understand is that BYU's deal with ESPN and its break with the Mountain Network will provide thousands of hours of programming for BYUtv--progamming that would have otherwise cost tens millions of dollars to produce. Under the contract with ESPN, BYUtv can replay ESPN BYU football and basketball games as many times as it wants and without charge. BYUtv will carry and produce about 150 live sporting events a year and will be able to replay them as often as it wants. The past Mountain Network contract prevented BYUtv from doing this. So, when the figure of $21 million for Utah for TV rights is mentioned, I think of the approximately $20 million that BYUtv will not have to expend each year to purchase and produce new programming because BYUtv will have thousands of hours of new sports programming.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 3, 2011 1:17 p.m.

I invite everyone to go back and read the Cougar gloating and chest beating of when they signed their cute little deal with ESPN.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 3, 2011 1:26 p.m.

"I invite everyone to go back and read the Cougar gloating and chest beating of when they signed their cute little deal with ESPN"

Johnjacob,

Even Bluto or Duckhunter will have trouble putting the spin on this one!

LOL

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:35 p.m.

Duckhunter or Sammy G will soon come in with the real details of the deal. Until then, this is all just speculation.

• Everest American Fork, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Congrats to the U and to Kyle, who just got himself a big raise.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 3, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Good job coming up with the answers to the question on everyone's mind MESOUTE .

This sounds like a great deal for Utah. It'll certainly pay for all the facility upgrades needed (and wanted). Plus, no more mtn. -- fans will get to watch Kyle and the Utes. Congratulations!

Oh, and Hedgehog calling anybody else a "troll" cracks me up EVERY TIME.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    May 3, 2011 1:51 p.m.

Congrats Utah!

I keep seeing the numbers that BYU is making compared to Utah... Problem is, terms of the BYU deal with ESPN were not made public. Some newspapers have guessed, but those aren't the actual terms and shouldn't be thrown around as fact.

As a Y Fan, I admit that Utah's deal with the Pac is probably more lucrative, but I have a hard time believing that when BYU plays Texas in it's place, they'll only receive about 1/4 (maybe when they play NMSU) of what Utah would receive when they play ASU. The numbers don't add up!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    May 3, 2011 1:58 p.m.

Great deal and much respect. So will the U be playing on Tue, Wed and Thu nights as well? Just wondering if they'd be partering with the Y on ESPN like so many predicted when the Y would play. Does that same argument hold water now that the U is partnered with ESPN? Just wondering.

• uteowl Sunnyvale, CA
    May 3, 2011 2:09 p.m.

@ There You Go Again | 12:50 p.m.

No. We got the deal we wanted.
    TDS got the deal they settled for - and that's what's frosting their cookies. They WANTED the deal we got.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    May 3, 2011 2:24 p.m.

It is indeed a great day to be a Ute!!

We both got what we wanted, BYU just wanted exposure so neither of us should be complaining or trying to justify things... right?

GO UTES!!!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 3, 2011 2:28 p.m.

I would like to request that my fellow Ute fans resist the temptation to taunt our cousins at the team down south and quit trying to "rub it in." I think it is bad taste to keep reminding them that Utah will be making $21 million a year while they get chicken feed. Isn't it enough to know that Utah will be playing for the Rose Bowl every year while BYU can only look forward to the Papa Botulism Bowl? Honestly folks. Just because Sports Illustrated calls BYU's Independence border-line delusional doesn't mean we have to. I know we may think we are entitled to gloat after all the "little brother" talk over the years but wearing those "Fully Invited" T-shirts to Church is a bit much don't you think? So what if this is all about ego? Its a free country! So what if they are sending their other teams to the sink hole of the universe. That simply isn't our concern!

Thank you.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 2:33 p.m.

El Chango

It's not that you're having a hard time beleiving, you're having a hard time accepting....

Posting it 3 times really won't help either.

• -PSUYB- Scranton, Pennsylvania
    May 3, 2011 2:49 p.m.

WOW! I have to admit I never thought the PAC could pull off a deal like this.

As a BYU fan I honestly feel no jealousy or bitterness to the U, they deserved the invite to the PAC and deserve the big payout, they have won 2 BCS games and had 10 years of excellent Football. Although money will not necessarily translate to wins, The University will now have the opportunity to give its students and athletes the best. And that is nothing to tear down or be jealous of, too many good people will benefit from this. So congrats to all U students, athletes, alumni, and fans. What a remarkable achievement!

However, I must defend my alma mater to those Utes who are intent on rubbing it in our face. BYU is a religious-affiliated Private School. And obviously has limitations that the U does not have. Although there is a national and international following through the LDS church. BYU will never fit in amongst the Elite Programs. It is not meant to fit in. We take pride in being unique. Independence is the best option because of exposure. Money is not the most important thing at BYU.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 2:57 p.m.

Well now that we both have deals with ESPN that pretty much guarantees BYU/Utah will be on ESPN this year. (quite possibly the game that nationwide generates the most "why can't i see this game?" posts).

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    May 3, 2011 2:59 p.m.

Ibleedcrimson,

Oh, so you know the terms of the BYU deal... didn't think so!

• supainthehills Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 3:15 p.m.

I'm absolutely amped that the deal is going to bring so much money to the U. I knew the move to the PAC 12 was going to be great, but getting more money in a year than they would have in the next 15 if they were a part of the Mountain West is HUGE! I also love that the new PAC 12 isn't going to be confined to the FOX regional deal like they've been in the past. It's so frustrating when there's a great PAC 10 game, but you have to pay for some random 'extended sports package' to actually watch it. Best of all is that this should make the BYU v Utah game a lock with both of them belonging to the ESPN family. That relationship will give both teams a lot better exposure and a MUCH larger recruiting base to build from. Bottom line is that BYU wasn't ever going to be the right fit for the PAC 12...Utah certainly is...and BOTH schools are in MUCH better positions with the new deals than they were last year. GO COUGS!!!

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 3:25 p.m.

"Oh, so you know the terms of the BYU deal... didn't think so!"

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 3, 2011 3:25 p.m.

The only thing BYU is Big Brother in anymore is fellow students turning each other in for the Honor Code.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    May 3, 2011 3:45 p.m.

"Nope! but I guarentee its not 168 million over 8 years which is what it would need to be to match the reported PAC 12 deal, that would be more than they are paying the SEC teams over 8 years of their contract."

Okay, you got me there!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 3, 2011 3:53 p.m.

Nice to see the deal is finally done.

All this comparing to byU is tiring though. Not even in the same league...oops did I say that?

Interesting, I've not noticed Ducky, sammyg,yferlifer, bluto and scores of others spinning on the subject. I guess you can't really spin those numbers in your favor can you?

GO UTES!

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    May 3, 2011 4:27 p.m.

Where oh where are those trolls(Ducky, sammyg,yferlifer, bluto) who come to spin doom and gloom daily on every Utah article???

Go Utes!

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    May 3, 2011 4:33 p.m.

This Coug fan wants to say congrats to all PAC schools. I would not have commented at all except for the disparaging comments against BYU. Hans brother, why do teh words BYU and Utah come out of your mouth in the same sentenc with this story?

Once again, I ask why does this have to be between the Utes and the Cougs. The Utes good fortunes do not hurt BYU. On the U side, there is no spin, no nothin'-this is great for the Utes (and ASU). I can be happy for the Utes and still be passionate about my Cougs.

I am proud that BYU and the Utes stuck together in the MWC over the years. Both teams now have what they want. BYU was never considered for the PAC and never will be-and that is ok. I don't expect the PAC to re-invent itself to avoid Sunday play and I don't expect BYU to put $300 million bones into becoming a research institution. BYU will be fine and hopefully the Utes will be fine and will perform well.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    May 3, 2011 4:37 p.m.

I do have one question. On the radio here in AZ, they keep saying $250 million for the PAC each year ($21 million per team per year). But there was a comment in this article that USC and UCLA will be due extra distribution if the payout is less than $170 million ($14 million per school). Is the overall deal ratings based and how much could it fluctuate.

No hard feelings from this Coug fan. I say take the money and run, Utes.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    May 3, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Good for the Utes. Now can we please make sure that no money from students is going towards athletics! If they can't operate in the black with this deal then they need to get rid of some things.

• Naked Truth Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 3, 2011 4:51 p.m.

Wow, that is a lot of money. Congrats Utah! I guess now it's just a question of how you use that money and if it can translate into wins on the field. BYU has always been able to do quite well with comparatively less, so I'm not worried about that, although by the looks of some of these posts, you'd think Utah was just guaranteed 10 straight undefeated seasons and annual beatdowns of BYU for decades to come! We'll see.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 3, 2011 4:54 p.m.

@AZguy

I think that minimum to avoid extra payments to USC/UCLA was based on some first estimates being thrown around last summer. At that time, I don't think many, outside of Larry Scott, had high hopes for over $200M. Considering the Pac-10 was stuck with the then-lowest BCS conference TV contract.

• BYU Deek Spanish Fork, UT
    May 3, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Have to give props to the U, for doing what was necessary to make it to the PAC. President Young, and Dr Hill are smart guys, and they did a great job of elevating their program. That said, I have never routed for Utah, I just don't really care that much about them. I'm a BYU fan, and after that I am a USC fan. It's a slow news day in sports and I stumbled upon this article. I don't post very often, but I wanted to give mad props to the U's athletic department. They've worked hard, and they are reaping the rewards. Hopefully soon BYU's hard work will pay off. I personally think Independence will be a good move for them, but only if they win. Hard work is the key to happiness in life. Hard work is the key to most anything. Utah needs to keep working hard so that it can show it belongs in the PAC.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    May 3, 2011 5:05 p.m.

This is an awesome deal the PAC-12 has signed with ESPN. Plenty to go around. However, before you boast too much, remember that ESPN signed this TV deal with the PAC-12, not with Utah. Utah gets a chunk of it because they are in the PAC-12, but they were not the deciding factors in whether or not the deal was signed. BYU's deal is BYU's deal.

Congratulations on your bright future in college football (even if the very near future is less bright). Things will get better. Same goes for BYU. What a great time for the state of Utah!

I usually cheer for the Utes, but all the BYU haters who comment on the BYU articles almost make me wish they lost every game. Keep it classy, everyone. Some BYU fans should back off, too. You don't want to be compared to hedgehog, especially if there is enough evidence to make the comparison.

• Cougar in Texas Houston, TX
    May 3, 2011 5:43 p.m.

Congrats to the Ute football program. You peaked at the right time and were rewarded for it.

By the way, the earlier poster who said BYU's TV contract was only worth 3.5 million is about 2x too low.

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    May 3, 2011 6:32 p.m.

Wow!It would appear that the Utes just hit the jackpot. Congratulations to the Ute Nation. As a cougar fan, am I jealous of the U's membership in the PAC, sure. I think many Cougar fans would have loved an invitation into that, or any of the BCS conferences. But things are what they are. If anything, being left out keeps us hungry, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    May 3, 2011 7:15 p.m.

If BYUtv turns into a sports network and Fox and ESPN show the top 3-5 PAC 12 games and all the rest is on the PAC 12 network, I don't even care about the money. I am so excited to have all of it and a few TiVos too. Bye Bye Mountain channel! Now Utes, get a bigger stadium so I can get a ticket once in a while at least. Never happy am I?

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    May 3, 2011 7:31 p.m.

Great news! Great to be a Ute Fan! Great to be a member of the Conference of Champions!

Just remember, the 21 million per year does not include revenue from Bowl Games, merchandising, or revenue from the PAC12 Network. Indeed, Utah's share per year from the PAC12 has been estimated at 30 million per year.

Yes folks, you heard me right, 30 million per year. Awesome.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:05 p.m.

BYU did get a good deal in that they get $1 to $2 million per game that is aired on ESPN. Probably closer to 9 to 10 million annually plus keeping bowl money. It's as good as they could expect going independent.

Utah fans can relax knowing their deal is better financially. Stop the arguing over money. Argue over wins and losses.

Both did better financially but nothing matters if they choke on the field.

• BYU still rules Nephi, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:41 p.m.

Surely a great day for the PAC 12 and the Utes. You may want to hold off on those assumptions that more money equals success on the field. Look at last year when the PAC 10 had a losing record against the MWC in both major revenue sports last year. (football and basketball) Conference of Champions indeed.

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    May 3, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Congratulations Utes! There's no argument from this Aggie that the U has the best college football team in Utah since college football began.

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    May 3, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Whats amazing about this tv deal, Is the Pac 12 will make more money than the Big 10 and the SEC. Thats something to be proud about! Larry Scott has done a fantastic job as commissioner.