Real Salt Lake has to play better in finale

Comments

• BMW San Antonio, Texas
    April 26, 2011 8:22 a.m.

WOW! you can almost tell by the number of comments how popular soccer (futbol) is in Utah. To bad it ain't a real sport.
    Give me a dirt field and a tin can and you'll see a soccer game for free.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    April 26, 2011 8:25 a.m.

Remember if your going to go to the game wear red and be there early so we can get that stadium rocking.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 26, 2011 8:39 a.m.

@BMW

Yesterday I watched two highlight videos. The first was of a soccer player in Seattle by the name of Steve Zakuani getting his leg snapped in half (tibula and fibula) by a hard tackle.

The second video was of Salt Lake Bees players scampering off the field in a hailstorm, their gloves on top of their heads so they wouldn't get their hair wet.

Please, tell me more about how soccer isn't a real sport...

• Nussdorfer AC Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2011 8:40 a.m.

RSL also showed what it can do for periods of time. The crowd will give them the boost they need.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    April 26, 2011 10:22 a.m.

re: Brave Sir Robin

Umm baseball players already wear hats bud, I don't think they needed their mits to keep their hair from getting wet.

Good luck to RSL tomorrow night!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 26, 2011 10:36 a.m.

@Kyle loves Zoobs

Their hats aren't waterproof, genius. I'm just reporting what I saw on the news. Real men, those baseball players.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    April 26, 2011 12:00 p.m.

Yeah and putting a glove on your head sure makes it even more water proof maybe getting hit by the hail was the reason they put their gloves on their head. Whatever station did a news report on baseball players putting their gloves on their heads must be pretty pathetic.

As far as trying to make an argument that soccer players are tough, a sport known for players diving will never be considered a tough guy sport. I'm not saying it it isn't tough or a real sport but your argument against baseball is especially silly.

I'm going out of town tomorrow morning but I wish I could be around to watch the game tomorrow night. I'm sure it will be an exciting one.

• legalimmigrant Springville, Utah
    April 26, 2011 12:17 p.m.

@BMW - exactly, you can play soccer almost anywhere! This is why soccer is the most popular sport in the world!

• Thlete Draper, UT
    April 26, 2011 12:23 p.m.

I'm pumped for tomorrow night. I really hope we can finish off the proud Mexican club team and win the continental title! How amazing that an international championship is going to be decided in our backyard.

• AsSOCiation Football Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Oh let me in on this baseball v soccer debate!

Here is my argument on why baseball is not a real sport.
    There is no other "sport" besides golf that players can play day after day after day. for like 5 days in a row. Why is that? Because it doesn't require athletic ability or stamina.

Hitting a 90 mile and hour fastball is like getting an eagle in golf. Sure it's hard to do but look at all of the fat out of shape "athletes" doing it.

Give me a sport where the players are using their fat(football) or give me a sport that requires a person to be in peak physical condition.(soccer, basketball ect. ect.)

Baseball players are good athletes if golfers are good athletes.

The beauty of soccer is that everyone can play it. But not everyone can play it well. Redirecting and 80 mile an hour cross with your head into a pocket about 4 feet high 2 feet wide. Or try it with your feet or your hands.

• sportsfan2k10 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 26, 2011 1:36 p.m.

RSL dragged in the second half in Mexico because it was 90 degrees and humid! Wait until Monterrey has to play at a hostile Rio Tinto stadium in 40 degrees and high altitude conditions. Having the second leg at home is a HUGE advantage and scoring 2 goals on the road was massive as well. The Claret and Cobalt all but have this thing wrapped up! Japan here we come!

• R0B Sandy, UT
    April 26, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Hopefully the comments made by the mexican coach will fire up RSL.

RSL has a chance to really stick it to the mexican and international media tomorrow. Nobody gave us a chance at winning this thing.

I think its pretty cool how the season ticket holders bought out the game to ensure that there would not be a significant monterrey fan base. I bought a 10 pack which allowed me to purchase 4 tickets for the game. Thank you RSL for protecting our house!

ole ole ole oleee reeeeal salt laake! get the singing going early tomorrow.

• joeyT Schenectady, NY
    April 27, 2011 6:17 a.m.

@Kyle loves BYU/Jazz,

Wrong. The only reason baseball players don't flop much is because they don't get much opportunity, because they go weeks at a time with no occasion for physical contact. But Derek Jeter did take a dive (faked being hit by a pitch when he wasn't), and people complained for about one day's news cycle, and then he went back to being Derek Jeter.

There's nothing to that argument but pure hypocrisy. The most ironic part being that the 'toughguy' aspect is only ever brought up by faker wannabes in the first place, so you'd think they'd appreciate the faking.

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    April 27, 2011 7:53 p.m.

more faking in the NBA anyway. phony charges, anyone?