Utah Utes football: 12,000 watch low-scoring spring game

Comments

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    April 16, 2011 8:01 p.m.

"In what was likely the lowest-scoring spring game ever, the Reds beat the Whites 7-0 in front of 12,000 or so fans..."

Well, at least we had more fans at RES than they had at LES last week. As far as the offense is concerned, the Utes better make some big improvements in fall camp, or it could be a long first season in the PAC 12.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 16, 2011 8:10 p.m.

I'm concerned that more fans turned out for the spring game than will for the games this fall. Going into the PAC 12 with no offense is more than a bit scary.

Langi was the only bright spot and he's still wet behind the ears.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 16, 2011 8:23 p.m.

Anyone know the deal with David Rolf? He probably saw the writting on the wall at Mich St. when they signed William Golston ( 5 star, top rated DE in the Nation).

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 16, 2011 8:25 p.m.

5,000 fans on a cold wintery day watching real football > 12,000 watching 'flag football' and getting a suntan.

As I predicted, fans go away wanting.

Thretton didn't perform, which kind of means that it's going to be a while until he (or if he) figures out what football is about. Injuries, new offense, and recruiting weakness are hampering progress. Ransom and Langi save the day.

Sounds like the whole team needs to clean RES on Monday.

Still didn't beat CU fans attendance and there you have it sports fans. I had originally thought I would listen to this today. Yawn, I'm glad I worked outside today.

• Delmar the Amazing Las vegas, NV
    April 16, 2011 8:26 p.m.

Everyone better watch out for that Norm Chow offense.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 16, 2011 8:33 p.m.

sammyg,

What was the final score of that real football game?

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    April 16, 2011 8:42 p.m.

Glad they enjoyed good weather. That always help attendance, doesn't it? Oh, for those comparing, how many fans (remind me again) does Lavell Edwards Stadium hold and how many does Rice Eccles Stadium seat (until half-time, anyway)?

• #1 Jazz Fan Springville, UT
    April 16, 2011 9:03 p.m.

What's Joseph Smith doing, playing for the Utes?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 16, 2011 9:04 p.m.

hedgie,

The 'B' team scored more than the total points your Utes put up against TCU, ND, and BSU. Hope that helps. I know you're having problems with short term memory these days.

• Not from Utah Spring, TX
    April 16, 2011 9:13 p.m.

Really? That's what this rivalry has been reduced to? Comparing attendance numbers at the spring scrimmage? It's bad enough that people try to make conclusions about next season from some silly practice that is put on for show, but do we really have to go so far as comparing attendance numbers? Maybe someone could give a report on concessions being sold. Maybe that will provide the answer about which school is better.

• AsSOCiation Football Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2011 9:18 p.m.

That game was aweful. I went and regretted it despite the fact that it was free. My favorite part was when Joseph Smith got an interception.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    April 16, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Where it was a low scoring game, the boys were just having fun with a lot of the twos and threes in there. I thought it was pretty fun to watch. Perfect weather as well. The 2008 Red/White game wasn't all that impressive either, but we all know how that season turned out to be. You absolutely cannot judge an upcoming season on the spring practices. Langi is a beast, if he can stay healthy, he is going to be a monster. White looked pretty good also. I have faith that Kyle and company will have the boys ready come fall.

Look up "Obsessed with the Utes" in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of sammy and duckhunter side by side. Truly it is sad. Go Utes!

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    April 16, 2011 9:33 p.m.

Glad to see sammyg and other BYU trolls out once again like white on rice to any story about U of U athletics letting their little brother insecurity shine forth with their hate based drivel. Please just go back to your mid major independent team's coverage. But before you go I have a question to all you boasting (based upon a 7-6 record no less) Y fans. What does your team have to play for after the first loss? No one loss mid major team has (nor will ever) gotten a BCS bowl invite. So lose just once and you are playing for nothing more than the likes of a New Mexico bowl invitation. And pray tell how many times has BYU had a season without a loss (I'll tell you, only once in over a hundred years of football).

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 16, 2011 9:52 p.m.

Wow,

7-0, that must have been exciting to watch that flame-out. Just a sign of things to come...don't look now Ute-fans, be me thinks I smell a disasterous maiden voyage to the the land of the big-boys...looks like alot of disappointment looms ahead next fall. Oh, but you have Winnie and Normy to save the day...Sorry my red friends to the North, Montana State is looking mighty scary right now, can ya'll say "Houston-Baptist, we've got a problem".

Yousa, its gonna be painful to watch!

• 2TimeBCSbuster Salt Lake, UT
    April 16, 2011 10:09 p.m.

Sounds like some bitter fans of another team.
    I'd take good defense over offense any day.

• Calbrode Vernal, Ut
    April 16, 2011 10:23 p.m.

Sounds like the utes are still playing with the nightmare of "Girlsy State"
    Good Luck PAC-12 Bottom feeders!!

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    April 16, 2011 10:37 p.m.

"A defensive game can be fun to watch too. I know some team down south that would rather score 40 and lose than score 7 and win..."

You mean like

7-47

Sometimes those "defensive" games aren't so satifying.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2011 10:44 p.m.

pebbles

As usual, you're more obsessed with BYU than you are Utah. Not even a mention about Utah's spring game.

Undefeated seasons are nice, but nothing compares to a national championship season. Let us know when U get one of those.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2011 10:52 p.m.

Did someone switch Boylen for Chow, because this new Utah offense seems as inept as Boylen's offense? Hopefully things will improve dramatically when Wynn returns this fall.

• Pedro Sanchez Magna, UT
    April 16, 2011 11:02 p.m.

Hey Cosmo, let us know when you WIN a NC instead of backing into one by complete accident. Not beating a single team in the final rankings just doesn't get me excited no matter what hardware comes with it.

You trolls love to tell us all about your trophies ad nauseum. But they haven't gotten you into a single big time bowl game in the modern BCS era.

Go back to happy valley.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 16, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Wow,

The Utah football experts (aka BYU trolls) are really out in force tonight. I'm sure most of them have some used advanced statistical analysis to compare past 10 Utah spring games and their correlating season (adjusted weather and other variables) to substantiate their claims. Or maybe they're just clairvoyant. Either way, I wish they would share more of the future with us mere mortals so we could also benefit. Something on the lines of the stock picking, or horse racing.

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    April 16, 2011 11:13 p.m.

Re: Utebusters

Yeah you've got it handed to you by TCU for the last 3 years.

Wasn't BYU down 31-3 to USU last year?

A bit Jealous that utes are in the Pac-12?

Remember in 2002 when Utah State was independent in football?

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 16, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Serious question for BYU fans. Plenty here have said how much Utah is going to struggle, while saying BYU will be very good to great. I say this as one who almost never reads BYU articles and I'm not trying to pick a fight: but why are you so optimistic about this year, and why do you think Utah will be so bad?

Coaching:
    BYU: 1st year OC, who has little to no experience calling plays and managing a game. Utah: One of the best offensive coordinators in the history of college football. Yes, I know that Chow isn't magic, and struggled at UCLA, but, he did pretty well in his other jobs (Vince Young was rookie of the year under Chow)

last year: BYU struggled early, Utah late. Both teams had ugly losses, and both teams steamrolled poor competition. Ultimately Utah beat BYU, but both teams were pretty even.

QB comparison: This may stir up emotions, that's not my point. I'm looking for objectivity. Heap's freshman year was pretty similar to Wynn's. Wynn was injured last season, but numbers wise as a freshman was very comparable to Heaps.

cont:

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 16, 2011 11:18 p.m.

I have no idea about what BYU has to replace on the lines or and other positions, I know who Utah has to replace, and I know who the likely replacements are.

Duck asked me and I gave him a very lengthy reasoning behind my optimism and concerns about Utah. Judging from what I have seen, there is nothing that makes me think that BYU is going to take a giant leap forward, and Utah a giant leap backward. I basically think both teams will do reasonably well in their respective seasons, and if the circumstances were reversed, both teams would still do reasonably well.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    April 16, 2011 11:31 p.m.

re: Not from Utah Great Comment! I also liked the Joseph Smith interception. Having him on the team is going to produce some fun comments in the future.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    April 16, 2011 11:37 p.m.

Pedro Sanchez

2nd place in one poll, 4th and 5th in the others

• scott Alpine, UT
    April 16, 2011 11:52 p.m.

pocyUte

"Plenty here have said how much Utah is going to struggle,..."

You can bury your head in the sand and pretend that everything is rosey, but just because it's BYU fans who are stressing Utah's offensive struggles, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Chow is no miracle worker. He can draw up all of the brilliant plays he wants to, but that means nothing if Utah doesn't have players who can execute those plays.

btw, if you think a former starting quarterback for BYU doesn't have any experience calling plays and managing a game, you're seriously delusional.

• Utes, Jazz, and RSL Forever Taylorsville, UT
    April 17, 2011 5:30 a.m.

I love the Utes as much as anybody but unfortunately I have to say that their offense looked horrible. They had better hope that Jordan Wynn or Harvey Langi don't go down with injuries or else it could be a long season, and not from playing extra games either. The defense will keep them in games but the offense has a lot of work to do. So does their placekicker, that 35 yard field goal by Marsh wasn't even close to going through the uprights. At least he didn't get it blocked unlike a certain Kitty placekicker from last year. I want to say that we can contend for the PAC-12 title, but after seeing what I saw today I don't think we'll even be in a bowl game this year.

For all you Kitty fans who keep referencing that national championship, keep in mind that they would never have gotten that opportunity under the current system. A BCS bowl would have been as far as they got since they didn't beat a ranked team that year. Remember, your Payne is our gain.

• VegasCoug Las Vegas, NV
    April 17, 2011 7:16 a.m.

Mark it down.... Utes will be in the bottom 3 offensively in the Pac 12 this year and will struggle to win 6 games in their maiden voyage. (My prediction if 5-7)

Ruh Roh!! I smell a disaster coming.......... Have fun Uties!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 17, 2011 7:20 a.m.

scott,

thanks for not answering the question, and attacking me.

Regarding me "having my head in the sand" I've already said my views regarding Utah (see my conversation with Duck under the "defense shines during scrimmage" comments 58-61,65) I think you will find a civil dialogue between 2 fans who mutually respect the game and each other.

My question wasn't about why BYU fans think Utah will struggle. It was regarding why BYU will be so much better.

Again, if you want to reduce it to the lowest common denominator on a par with the a lot of comments on here, that's your choice. All I'm saying again, is, based on the past few years, the teams have been pretty even. Both teams have undergone coaching changes, yet the prevailing sentiment from some BYU fans is that Utah has taken a giant step backward, while BYU is leaping forward. I know why some think Utah will struggle, they've documented that well.

I truly am looking for an honest answer as why BYU has taken a giant step forward.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2011 8:04 a.m.

I sure hope the AP voters see how extreme;y potent our Ute Offense is.....we should be ranked number 1 in the nation going into this fall and should win out a national championship. No one can beat us, we are the best in the nation, we will beat every team by 50 in the Pac 12 and we will beat BYU by 75.....go utes.....

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 17, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Big deal 12,000 people showed up. The DNews goes out of the way again to stir the pot to get all the "My dad is bigger than your Dad" gang all in an uprooar now that there is going to be the summer lag in sports. I'm sure that nearly a third to half of those were BYU fans checking out what Utah has going since a lot of us enjoy coverage on both teams. I don't know why the fact that 12,000 showing up seems to be more critical than the fact that Utah definitely has some major positional concerns on the offense that are behind the 8 ball curve. If you utey's are going to be concerned about numbers then here's one...92,516...any of you utey's familiar with that number??? That's how many pairs of eyes are going to be watching Utah from just the seats at Memorial Collisium. I hope for Utah's sake that fellow BYU fans will hopefully be able to help you to at least have 12,000 fans there the first time you show up. The clocks ticking down. Good Luck Utah!!!

• sandydweller Sandy, UT
    April 17, 2011 8:43 a.m.

I watched the news last night and that 12,000 looked more like 3,000 - was it really 12,000?

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 17, 2011 9:32 a.m.

@Hedgie
    Which real game you talkin about....the one with Harline Still Open or the one last year where Robert Anae handed it to you as a going away present by not kicking the field goal. It certainly wasn't Heaps and the team that handed that game over. If that's what you call a real game it's no wonder utey trolls like yourself are considered the BCS bootlickers of all time. You'll take any little scraps thrown you way and never stand up for what you truly were worth. How much milage do you really expect to get off of that last game???

• That's A Good One Meridian, ID
    April 17, 2011 9:46 a.m.

2TimeBCSbuster | 10:09 p.m. April 16, 2011
    "I know some team down south that would rather score 40 and lose than score 7 and win..."

As ridicuous as that statement is - It is an ironic twist to "I know some team up north who scored 7 and lost by 40...on their own field, as the overranked #5 team in the country"!!!

Incidentally, Boise State, the most recent team to embarrass Ute football, with quite a bit smaller school and community, had 14,445 show up for their blue and orange scrimmage yesterday. Evidently, in Salt Lake getting a bigger crowd to the spring scrimmage game than the rival means something important. I'm just not sure what.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 17, 2011 9:57 a.m.

pocyUte

"why are you so optimistic about this year, and why do you think Utah will be so bad?"

Simple answer: Heaps and Wynn

I may not be an expert, but I have watched, in person, every BYU QB since Gary Shiede play. I've seen the mechanics, leadership, and play-making abilities of the BYU quarterbacks who have excelled, and those who have struggled, and Heaps is an exceptional quarterback.

Doman may be a rookie OC, but he understands BYU's offense thoroughly, and he has a mentor in Lance Reynolds who knows every bit as much about offense as Norm Chow.

BYU is loaded at the skill positions and Apo is flatout going to be a dangerous receiver. BYU's offensive line is solid with a wealth of returning talent and experience.

Wynn, on the other hand, is an average quarterback. If he were playing for BYU this year, he'd probably be 4th or 5th on the depth chart. Utah's skill position players are all new and, with Wynn's injury, the receivers have had no opportunity to work on timing and reads with Wynn, which is crucial in the WCO.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    April 17, 2011 10:03 a.m.

Scott, you said...

"So what exactly did you see in the spring game today that convinced you that Utah's offense won't struggle?"

I'm pretty sure that the Ute's whole offense was on the side line yesterday. As K Whitt stated at the beginning of the week, yesterday was a showcase of the young and up and comers. It is what it is.

I know that Harmon made the 18 - 17 game in Provo last week to rival that of the Miami game a few decades ago but come on, it is Harmon we are talking about.

All the byU faithful on here concerned with Utah's future is really touching and all but maybe you should all be worried about Idaho coming to LES. Scary

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    April 17, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Ha ha, love it, 15,000+ fans show up to the Red and White game. After years of greater success, the Utes are surpassing the team in Provo in popularity and interest.

Let's remember how many showed to the Blue and White game? I think the number was estimated at like 3,000 or so.

15,000+ > 3,000 or so

The future is the Utes!

• MESOUTE Karchaj, A.V.
    April 17, 2011 10:30 a.m.

The past 21 meetings BYU has won 10 games and Utah has won 11. I would say those are two pretty evenly matched teams who have a lot of respect for each other, even if the fans do not.

BYU wins three straight to begin the 90s.
    Utah comes back with three straight over the Cougars.
    The teams split the last four meetings of the 90s each winning two.

BYU wins two straight to begin the millennial series.
    Utah comes back to win four straight (highlighted by a blowout win to propel the Utes to the Fiesta Bowl in 2004).
    BYU wins two straight on fantastic finishes (fantastic from BYU perspective).
    Utah wins BIG and is vaulted to the Sugar Bowl.
    BYU wins a hard-fought OT thriller.
    Utah wins on a BYU-style miracle play to give the Utes an 11-10 advantage over the past 21 years.

Overall head to head:
    Utah 54 vs. BYU 34 with 4 ties mixed in.

Both schools have dominated different eras and lately I would say it is as good of a series as there is in college sports. Evenly matched. Stop the hyperbole on both sides. Enjoy your team.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 17, 2011 10:36 a.m.

"BYU did win a national championship, despite what jealous whiners may think. What did your "big time bowls" get U?"

Let's see how about an invite to a BCS conference that BYU has been coveting for 30 years!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 17, 2011 11:07 a.m.

Re: Where's Stockton

"Which real game you talkin about....the one with Harline Still Open or the one last year where Robert Anae handed it to you as a going away present by not kicking the field goal."

I agree with you!!! The decision not to kick the field goal probably cost the Y the game; however, the decision to not kick the field goal was made by another coach. Another head coach. Bronco said the decision to not kick the field goal was his, BUT HE DID NOT CALL FOR A PASS. Implying that was the dumb part!!!

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 17, 2011 11:37 a.m.

@Who Am I sir
    Bronco took responsibility for the call after the fact... he didn't make the call...there is a big difference.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 17, 2011 12:19 p.m.

Trueblue

I appreciate your response. I don't necessarily agree with some of your statements, but, thank you for giving me your perspective.

Good luck to BYU in their upcoming season. It is going to be very interesting to see how the season unfolds.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 17, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Re: Where's Stockton???

I agree with you, again. There is a big difference. First - what call are you referring to? The call to "go for it" or the call for a pass? I would welcome others to clarify my recall. In the post game comments,as I remember it, Bronco said he made the call to go for it. (Not to kick the field goal.) He then said he was not the one who called the play. In your version, I would respect him... in mine I thought he did not understand the mistake of not kicking the field goal and deflected blame for the call (the pass) on another coach. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

On another note, I would encourage all to visit Utefans.net and see what Utah tailgating is all about. (See Webmonkey's award winning receipe and pictures -surely beats peanut butter sandwiches in the back of a van on the way to a game. My exposure to our neighbor's idea of tailgating at the Y!!!!) Our group has tailgated since the idea started at the U and you can join us (a stake president, two former bishops, etc.) anytime.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 17, 2011 12:50 p.m.

@WhoamIsir
    Unlike Rick Knuheisel who made the mistake to never fully give the reins of the offense to Chow. Bronco let Anae make numerous play call mistakes, but in his usual way as far as I know he always took overall responsibility. I don't care what anyone else had to say about Anae... he just didn't fit the talent that he had and BYU was successful despite that over obvious fact.

Leading by 6 points early in the 3rd quarter on a 4th and inches just outside the red zone is not the time to be gambling when you have a proven field goal kicker who could easily have kicked the easy chipshot and made it a nine point lead and a necessary two score posession differential. Had they got the 9 points then on the next posession went for the 4th and inches it would have been no big deal...the only thing worse that could have happened would have been to have made a fieldgoal have a penalty against the defense and take the 3 points off the board and stupidly gamble and wind up getting nothing.
    They didn't even take time to discuss it

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 17, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Rest assured Utefans, the score next September 17th will not be close...after the drubbing that your boys will take in LA on the 10th, will be quiet a humble bunch of Utes on their way into LES to face a very talented bunch of Cougars that not be in a position to have to kick a FG in the waning seconds of that one. I will say that by that time 3rd and 4th stringers on the blue-side will be getting some playing time. I don't say that to be smug, but after shutting out your so-called veteran UTES for 3.5 quarters on your home RES field, with a bunch of freshman and sophmores leads me to believe that BYU wins by 40 this coming September. Prepare for some down times ahead boys, we cougs had ours last year, but for the next 3 years, the BYU cougars will be continuing in the National spotlight initiated by Jimmermania...Prepare for yourselves for Jake-mania now boys...

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    April 17, 2011 1:10 p.m.

After three losing seasons in the PAC12 and three straight losses to BYU (each by considerably more than one point), the President of the U will probably be very glad to see 12,000 die hards show up for any regularly scheduled home game in the fourth season. Oh, well, they can still use the stadium for high school play-off games.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 17, 2011 1:25 p.m.

pocyUte, I will try to answer your question as well. Last year BYU started their first game with 64 players dressing for the game. Of those 64, 50 were freshmen or sophomores. Jordan Wynn had 2334 yards passing, 17 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions. Jake Heaps had 2316 yards passing, 15 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions even though he split time at qb to start the season. I happen to think Wynn is a very good qb, and that is why I used his stats as a comparison. I do worry how well he will do this year with new receivers and a new OC while coming off of shoulder surgery.

O and D line. Last year BYU had a lot of injuries with linemen. This year they may have the deepest and most talented O and D line they have ever had since Bronco became head coach. Utah lost two of their best O linemen and one of their best D lineman, but they seem to be very deep and talented on the D line. I would worry about the O line, but they have a very good O line coach in his first year. They should be solid.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 17, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Cont.,

BYU is very deep at runningback, receiver, and linebacker with possibly the fastest group of linebackers that Bronco has ever had to work with. The secondary is a question mark, but at the spring practice and scrimmage they looked to have more speed there than most BYU fans are used to.

As for Doman, he has far more experience to be an OC than Anae did when he took the job. I actually think Doman will be BYU's next head coach. Bronco will have the defense rockin from the first game.

I am very excited for the season and cautiously optimistic. As for Utah, I hope they have a good showing the first year in the PAC12, I do have concerns, but they have very good coaches who will have them playing ahead of where they should be.

I hope that helps. I tried to take off the blue goggles.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 17, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Cougar1

Thanks for the answer. I agree with what you said about Utah, and I thank you for your insight regarding BYU. I don't follow BYU at all in terms of knowing their personnel, depth charts, etc. so I appreciate the insight from people like that is more than just info on the surface.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 17, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Whoami, I don't know who you tailgated with at BYU, but that is a far cry from the experiences I have had with people from Texas who showed up early to prepare the best barbque I have ever had, and stayed late.

Jute19, why? Beating Utah in 2009 didn't stop the Ute faithful from pounding their chest until the game last year. Get your own house in order first.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 17, 2011 1:45 p.m.

PocyUte, your welcome. I wanted to get into position by position, but there is no way to do that in this kind of forum. I have already taken more space than I like.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    April 17, 2011 2:04 p.m.

All it takes is one hit on Heaps and then we'll have to see what Munns can do. The Cougars seem to think that Heaps is invincible but we all know that one game with the qb on the disabled list and then Ute fans can prepare for the woulda,coulda,shoulda, excuses that are cloned so well among the blue bloods. BYU coulda really been 6-7 if the replay official at San Diego State game woulda been honest.
    How these clones figure such positive predictions for the demise of the Utes is beyond me. Again, Utah has a national COY and an OC that has been awarded the National coach of the year 3 times, and yet the boys in Utah County are of the opinion that these coaches don't know what they are doing.
    I think that the backfield of the Utes may actually be a real surprise to the cougars when they play the Utes. I played winger on the Utah Rugby Club way back in the 70's and the backs on a rugby team can really hammer on their opponents.
    Let's wait until September to see who's laughing.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 17, 2011 4:16 p.m.

Oh contrar my little hailstone guy...we don't think Heaps is invincable, he isn't Jordan "run-for-mommy" Wynn either. Mr. Heaps does not resemble the "deer-in-the-headlights" Wynn. Hetakes his lumps like a man, in both Tallahassie, Fort Worth, and Colorado Springs. And, if he does go down, we have Mr. Nelson or Lark waiting in the wings...all RM's (along w/ Munns that you mentioned), everyone of them All-State players back in high school, and quite capable in stepping up if needed. As for the 2 boys running Utah's offense...well, as Mr. Sorenson put it in his article, were quite "offensive".

The reason is quite obvious that we cougar fans (and many Ute-fans on here I might add), is that proof is in the pudding. Utah did a nose-dive in the last 5 games of last season w/ a veteran team, and lost many from that under-performing group...only to replace them w/ true freshman, that have yet to play a down of Division 1 football...very obvious facts that anyone w/ plain common sense would have to say: "Houston(baptist)we've got a problem"

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 17, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Hey Jute, I have actually been quite civil here. No need to get offended. All I was saying is that BYU trolls aren't the only ones who do a lot of talking when they don't have score board. You should have read the Ute trolls after the 2009 game, or the 2007 and 2006 game. It goes both ways. I don't care for either, though they are quite amusing. As for anything to be proud of in the last 25 years, I would wonder why you choose 25. I assume it's because the NC was over 25 years ago.(Which I do remember, by the way.) So are we to assume that you think that it was something to be proud of? As for the last 25 years, the Cougars have had several conference championships,(and yes, we are proud of them)a Heisman trophy, a Doak Walker award, and we are all proud of the Cotton Bowl season. First team in history to win 14 games in a season, and first team from Utah to play on New Year's day. Also the only team from Utah to have beaten a #1 ranked team.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 17, 2011 5:09 p.m.

Easy Jute19

I was cougar1 was answering a question I posed earlier in the thread. I appreciated his answer and it was posed to me. I think if you have the posts you would have noticed what he was referring to. I hope you wouldn't have attacked him with a more complete knowledge of the circumstances.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 17, 2011 5:23 p.m.

12,000;
    That's great. It would be fantastic to see Utah sell out their entire home season this fall win or lose. That would be a great accomplishment for their first PAC year. It always helps to know that your fans are behind you.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 17, 2011 6:22 p.m.

TJ,
    I suspect all home PAC12 games will be sold out before the season starts

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    April 17, 2011 6:39 p.m.

re: "It would be fantastic to see Utah sell out their entire home season this fall win or lose"

There is already a long waiting list to become a season ticket holder. The few remaining single game tickets will be gone soon after they are up for sale.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    April 17, 2011 6:53 p.m.

Some of these comments, I don't know! Let me remind everyone that the games begin in Sept. Unless there is an unfortunate injury this means nothing. Both teams have a lot of work to do, some more than others. I am a BYU fan and this fantasy of stupid comments really need to go.
    Jeff

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 17, 2011 7:01 p.m.

Jeff, I would agree, but the excitement of Utah in the PAC12 and BYU playing an Independent schedule are just too much to bear. I know I can't wait.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    April 17, 2011 7:12 p.m.

Hedgie, I expect that someone from Ann Arbor might just be an expert on the vagaries of Utah sports fans. Thus, you must concede that for the second year in the PAC12 (after finishing with a dismal record in the first year) there is little chance of being sold out before the season starts. And, in the third year (after dismal records in the first two years) there will be large gaping holes not only in the football teams D line but in the seats in the stadium. And, in the fourth year (after dismal records in the first three years) the President of the U will probably be very glad to get attendance up to 12,000 per game.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 17, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Jute, come on...lighten up a bit. For those who post for the sole purpose of attacking the Utes, I agree 100%. But, maybe you need to spend a few minutes reading the posts on Cougar articles. If you all have moved on like you say, then why are half of the posts from Utah/BYU haters? It goes both ways with the trolls. For example, over 125 posts on an article about some guy who wrote an article about the Honor Code being racist, and half of them are from Utah fans. Now that's foolish.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    April 17, 2011 9:59 p.m.

@Hedgie

You're 100 percent about the games at RES getting sold out before the season starts. I suspect the phones are going to jam up and the computers are going to crash at the box office when they go on sale -- like last year.

Meanwhile, you'll be able to hear a pin drop down at the LES box office for some time to come. I can only imagine how big the demand is going to be for those big games down in Provo -- Idaho, New Mexico State, etc....

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 17, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Will Chad Bunn be suiting up for the cougars in the replay booth when Utah comes to town?

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    April 17, 2011 10:40 p.m.

To I Still Can't Say It:
    You cannot be so infantile or senile as to not realize that LES will indeed be sold out by BYU fans to watch their team dismantle Idaho, New Mexico State, etc.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    April 18, 2011 4:37 a.m.

Many of the comments from Ute fans I find really puzzling.

When Utah joined the PAC 12, I heard more than one Ute fan BYU was now beneath them; that comparing the two programs was like comparing the New York Yankees to the Ogden Raptors; that Ute fans now had bigger targets to go after than puney ole' BYU.

But then you read comments like, "There were more fans at the RES scrimmage than there was at the LES scrimmage" or "We're going to sell out every game while BYU won't sell out any," and you can't help but ask, why is Utah still so obsessed with BYU?

If BYU is beneath you, then why not compare yourself to other PAC 12 schools like Colorado, Arizona State or UCLA? After all, do you hear Cougar fans bragging, "We had more fans at our scrimmage than Weber State?"