Utah Utes basketball: Reports claim Alex Jensen says no to assistant job

Comments

• Kiboo West Jordan, Utah
    April 14, 2011 6:59 p.m.

Ouch. He chose to stay with Majerus instead of coming back home???

Things might be worse than we realize.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 14, 2011 7:28 p.m.

Kiboo,

It is more that he is the #1 assistant with Majerus' contract running out in 2 years, versus being the #3 at Utah. I bet Alex has his eye on the HC job after Majerus leaves.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 14, 2011 7:59 p.m.

hedge, you were calling BYU's loss of a BB recruit to Hawaii the WCC effect. What's this called? The Ute effect?

I thought everyone would be running to come to the mighty Utes not that they're in the PAC 10.2.

• B C Park City, UT
    April 14, 2011 8:37 p.m.

So one of the best all-around players in Utah history isn't even interested in returning to his newly minted PAC 12 alma mater?

That's sad.

Weren't we told that Chris Hill could get any coach he wanted?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 14, 2011 9:16 p.m.

I agree with pocyUte. Simple matter of economics and career opportunity. He probably got a nice raise to stay at St Louis and a better position being #1 assistant. He's working with a head man he has loved since he was a player. I don't blame him, but it certainly is our loss.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 14, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Not to make to big a deal about it pocy and mormon ute but according to pretty much every report Dave Rose took less money to stay at BYU than he could have gotten at several schools, including utah. He id it because he wanted to be ther and loves the university.

Alex is supposedly a utah man through and through yet he wasn't willing to let his love of alma mater sway him.

But once again if a guy doesn't want to be there you are probably better off without him.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    April 14, 2011 10:49 p.m.

shocker...hahaha, this is classic. good going there coaches and admin.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 14, 2011 11:05 p.m.

"Not to belabor the point but I have said many times on these boards that BYU engenders a loyalty unlike other places. Of course the wedgies, howies and christina b's scoff at that but I think this is simply more evidence of that fact. "

No one is more loyal to BYU than wedge, howie and christina. The volume of their posts proves that. Even when watching the utes, they are secretly thinking about BYU.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 14, 2011 11:06 p.m.

Jensen will be an asset wherever he is.

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    April 14, 2011 11:28 p.m.

Majerus was well known for running off a few players every year that didnt work out as he had planned. Did he do the same to his current "first" assistant so that he could move up Jensen? I expect he felt like he needed someone to recruit for him like he had at Utah. Doing it on his own doesnt appear to have gone as well at St Louis.

Oh well, if Jensen doesnt want to be at Utah it is probably best that he not come. Maybe he is looking 3-4 years down the road when the next Utah coaching change will take place. By then, he would have an even better resume.

• JustAnotherName Alpine, UT
    April 14, 2011 11:45 p.m.

Hmmm ... no one wants to play there and no one wants to coach there.

Will Utah be fielding a basketball team next season?

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 15, 2011 1:18 a.m.

I can't even keep track of all the Ute players jumping ship. Kupets, too? And Jensen passes on the Pac12 for an assistant position at St.-dadgum-Louis?! Woooooow. This is a disaster.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    April 15, 2011 1:43 a.m.

To Hedgehog, Dave S and all the other Utah trolls who claimed that BYU is in dire straights because it lost a recruit to Hawaii: You can't even get an alum to coach your team.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 15, 2011 5:47 a.m.

Pocy and M Ute are probably correct. St. Louis does have a lot to offer but Ducky is also correct to point out the loyalty thing at BYU.

Had this been reversed, with BYU needing an asst. coach and Jensen as an alumni of BYU, Jensen would probably have come running. There's just that something 'special' about BYU that we don't seem to be seeing at Utah as this coaching debacle continues.

Just as the NTSB seems to take forever to analyze train and plane wrecks it is equally going to take time to sort out Ute Basketball. Happy asst. coach hunting, time to get CC coach!

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    April 15, 2011 6:26 a.m.

Alex wouldn't touch that program with a ten foot pole.

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2011 7:40 a.m.

What!? He's not coming to UTAH!?? But....but we're in the PAC 10! We are prestigious now! Um, uh, PAC 10.

Yes, we are awful...but...um....PAC 10.

I'm not sure there's another school in the country so laughably obsessed with their conference affiliation, as if that somehow makes up for how miserable their basketball team is.

Fact is, coaches and players care more about the SCHOOL, and the situation. Not the conference. That's why BYU and Utah St will continue to win the in state recruiting battles for years to come.

• mamalongarms Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2011 8:13 a.m.

FYI Chris Kupets was cut, he did not ask for leave.

I'm sorry Jensen turned us down but as has been said above, a #1 spot rather than a #3 spot is always more desirable.

I'd rather look on the bright side. The guys like the new coach, he has great plans for them, and they are getting down to business. Unlike many other readers and posters, I would like to give the coach a chance because so far he's earning it.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 15, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Duckhunter and sammyg,

Sometimes when you are building a career, you can't let loyalty dictate your choices too much. I believe Alex would love to come back to Utah, but when faced with the choice between being the #1 assistant under Majerus or being #3 at Utah it was pretty clear which was the better career move. Coming to Utah was probably a lateral move and maybe even a step down, if he was #2 under Majerus.

As far as BYU loyalty, what happened with Dave Rice? Obviously he was faced with something similar to Alex Jensen. The better career move for him was to take the head coaching job. If Jensen had been offered the #1 assistant position, I think he would be here.

Too many people commenting are making far more out of this than it really is. I don't believe it has anything to do with the direction of the program, loyalty or lack of it. While it would have been nice to bring him back here to coach, it won't doom the program to not have him.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    April 15, 2011 8:52 a.m.

The Train Wreck continue's. I can't wait until next week to see what else will go wrong with that high school on the hill.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    April 15, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Ouch.

Now Chris Kupets? Yikes. Who will be the next to ask for a release? David Foster? Jason Washburn? Chris Hines? Larry Krystkowiak?

Not good, utes. Not good.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    April 15, 2011 9:28 a.m.

20 Comments
    BYU 13 Utah 7

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 15, 2011 10:13 a.m.

mamalongarms | 8:13 a.m. April 15, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    FYI Chris Kupets was cut, he did not ask for leave.

===

"In player news, an athletic department official confirmed that Utah has given another school permission to speak with senior-to-be Chris Kupets."

Momma Long Garms, can you please cite you source that Kupets is really even leaving? Or are you just making stuff up?

• mamalongarms Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2011 10:30 a.m.

"The 6-foot, 175-guard, who averaged 7.4 points for the Utes last season as a junior college transfer, has not officially asked for a release from his scholarship."

He did not ask for leave, he was given leave... aka he was cut. I'm not making stuff up I just have better contacts than you do

Also, its mamalongarms or mama long arms, not "garms". Thanks

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 15, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Veritas,

I have no citation, but, I've heard rumblings to the same. I think that coach K is evaluating the talent he has, and is probably "encouraging" players who doesn't think can contribute to look elsewhere (this certainly doesn't apply to Clyburn or O'brien). It think it goes to one of the weaknesses of Boylen. I don't think he was a very good judge of talent. I just don't think Kupets, Guiot, or Dimaria were truly D-1 talents.

Now, as I said, I have no actual knowledge of the actual inner workings, but, that's my guess.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    April 15, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Great comments Mormon Ute. The cougars have all kinds of excuses if and when they loose big recruits, coaches, ect. Ute fans don't need to make any excuses for anything that goes on at the U. This is sports and their is no reflection on ute fans, good or bad if Alex Jensen chooses to stay where he is.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 15, 2011 10:57 a.m.

"mamalongarms | 10:30 a.m. April 15, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

He did not ask for leave, he was given leave... aka he was cut."
    ===

Where did you see he was no longer on the team? He did not ask to leave, you are the only one reporting he was asked to leave... I asked you to cite your sources, and you just game me you "have better contacts"...

I would really like to know if it's as the story reports, and another team asked to talk to him, or if he was cut, as you made up...

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 15, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Thanks Pocy...

• mamalongarms Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2011 11:12 a.m.

I will say again I did not make this up. If you don't want to believe me and want to wait until someone officially comes out and tells you, that's fine. I'll just say that CK won't be on the team next year.

Coach is doing what he thinks is best for the team and so far I am in agreement.

• JCH San Diego, CA
    April 15, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Commenters of Terror: A challenge, in two parts.

Part I: Take a few minutes to research and get a sense of the average salary of a #1 assistant at a Div I mid-major men's basketball program. Use A-10 schools, CAA, Mountain West, Missouri Valley. Focus on the Catholic or private schools.

Part II: Search for the average salary of a #3 assistant at fifteen large state schools. Any fifteen. Really, do it. In fact, I'll give you 15 off the top of my head. Texas, UCLA, Cal, Florida, Ohio St., UNC, UConn, Kansas, Michigan, Mich. St., Wisconsin, Kentucky, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington.

There. Now, I haven't done this yet, but I GUARANTEE you that the salary in Part I is much higher than, at least twice as high as, the salary in Part II.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 15, 2011 11:41 a.m.

Those of you who are really rubbing it in the Utes faces should reflect on how you felt last year during the first 5 weeks of the football season. The Jensen issue is pretty minor but the players leaving is devastating. Stop hitting people when they are down already. Oh yeah! I forgot this is all in fun.
    Stay reasonably classy people.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 15, 2011 11:59 a.m.

@Mormon Ute

I agree with you that in building a career you can't simply subvert your future in the industry to a loyalty to an organization. That wasn't really my point. But your Dave Rice comparison isn't really a good one as Dave Rice is a UNLV alum and is not only getting a promotion and opportunity to be a head coach he is getting it at his alma mater. Also if you remember Dave Rose turned down an opportunity to go to his alma mater as the head coach.

Alex Jensen was not getting a promotion but he was getting a chance to return to his alma mater and he declined to do it. I cannot imagine the money at St. Louis is better than utah's much ballyhooed pac10 money is it? There has to be a reason for this. Maybe it was the chance to be a #1 assistant? That would make sense to me.

But I do think there is a difference between BYU and utah in these matters. There is ample example of coaches taking less to be at BYU. I can tell you why but you won't like the reason.

• Glenn A. Salt Lake City, UT
    April 15, 2011 12:12 p.m.

When it comes to Coach Rose, is it possible that some are mistaking loyalty for comfort? Did Coach Rose really stay at BYU because he's so loyal to the university that nothing...absolutely nothing could pull him away? Or, did he stay because he's satisfied enough with the combination of a raise in pay and comfort level of coaching at a school that shares his religious affiliation? I guess it depends on what your definition of loyalty is, but from my view it wasn't strictly impenetrable loyalty that kept Coach Rose in blue. There could have been a number of deciding factors such as a pay raise, cultural comfort, etc. There's nothing wrong with that either, but I'm not sure I can buy into the idea that Rose's perfect loyalty was the only driving force that kept him around. That sounds a little too idealistic.

Regarding Chris Kupets...oh well. I actually considered him one of the more expendable pieces on the team. Next year's going to be rough, but I like some of the things Coach K is doing. I think we Ute fans are in for a brighter future.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 15, 2011 1:03 p.m.

Either way, Kupets had lousy stats. You don't need those stats from a senior. I have no problem letting the kid walk. I just wondered if K2 was that hardcore of a coach.

Alos, if it was between getting Jensen, or Connor, the U got the best of the two.

I wonder why Andy Hill is coming from being an assistant at Montana? Things went from looking like a tight ship with Tommy and Alex, to the Boylen show again, bringing in unknown coaches and wondering why things aren't working out?

I am sure of one thing. Tommy Connor's job is not on the line at the U. Giving up Westminster, you can bet he is pretty secure right now.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 15, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Duckhunter,

It's okay, I know the reason coaches take less to work at BYU and I'm perfectly fine with it. It's the same reason Church employees take less than they could make in the private sector. They are told at the beginning that they will not be paid what the market calls for in dollars, but they will be giving service in the amount of the difference. The loyalty there has less to do with the school and more to do with religion. Not many schools in the country can draw on that.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    April 15, 2011 1:25 p.m.

@Duckhunter | 10:42 p.m. April 14, 2011

"Not to belabor the point but I have said many times on these boards that BYU engenders a loyalty unlike other places."

Yes just like why Detmer, Steve Young, etc. were jumping at the chance to come help BYU transition into Indy? From all those previous greats you found DuPaix?

Also, didn't KWit turn down BYU's job for Utah? He did what was best for him, same as Alex, Steve, and Ty.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    April 15, 2011 1:38 p.m.

The truth is, Clyburn was the u's only D1 player last year and he is gone. So the u is in for a long long drought...Jensen could see that. And who said he would be the number 3 guy?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 15, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Uteology | 1:25 p.m. April 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

When have you ever been known to stay on Topic?

LOL, where do you come up with this off topic stuff?

Ute Basketball story equals reference to BYU Football coach, how?
    ===

Since you did bring it up, you have no idea the coaching gem BYU picked up with DuPaix. It was a good hire.

Do you think it was as good as Andy Hill, from Montana the U just landed to guide them into the PAC?

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    April 15, 2011 3:32 p.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

I was responding to the quote. The point was clearly made, try reading it.

BYU does not garner any more "loyalty" than any other school. I am sure the many reasons Rose stayed at BYU are the same reasons:

A) Majerus stayed in Utah in the 90s

B) KWit chose Utah over BYU and Tennessee

C) Why Alex or Steve Young, etc decided to stay put

• Scoreboard Draper, UT
    April 15, 2011 3:38 p.m.

@mormonute
    "As far as BYU loyalty, what happened with Dave Rice? Obviously he was faced with something similar to Alex Jensen."

Huh?! Not even close! Being HC of the school you played for is nothing close to being an assistant. Rice was being loyal, to his school. He played at UNLV during their last NC season. Nobody would expect him to pass that chance up.

Jensen on the other hand is sort of like the High Priest who crossed over to the other side to avoid the beaten man on the road to Jericho in the Good Samaritan parable. Ouch.

The situation at Utah is more dire than anyone thought. Rats leaving the sinking ship, former greats refusing to lend aid, and Coach K is forced into raiding the staff at Montana Tech to try and lure their equipment manager away. I wonder if Coach K is regretting his decision...

BTW, it's rather curious that Wedgie and Chris B are nowhere to be found.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 15, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Scoreboard,

You need to do a little more thinking about Alex Jensen's options. What I believe happened is he came out and interviewed with the idea that the position would be a lateral move in responsibility, but would mean more money and an opportunity for exposure at a higher level. After the interview and before Coach K could get and offer put together, Majerus countered with a promotion and a pay raise. In weighing the two options, he likely is now getting more money to stay with Majerus and is in the number 1 assistant position. Plus he doesn't have to move. I assume he is married and it would be nice to not have to uproot a family. Lot's of factors go into these decisions, but I'm sure if he had been offered the job Connors got he'd have taken it. Maybe even the #2 spot.

I'm not worried about the players leaving. They weren't playing that well as a team anyway and this gives Coach K the opportunity to build from the ground up. We weren't going to be that good next year anyway.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 15, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Uteology | 3:32 p.m.
    Fort Worth, Texas
    @Veritas Aequitas

"I was responding to the quote. The point was clearly made, try reading it."
    ===

I did, and cannot see how slamming a fine coach like DuPaix had anything to do with the point from the quote that you responded to.

Do you think that maybe sometimes you just might try to reach too far in your attempts to discount one specific University in the state?

I love, once again, your selective stats ABC...

Duckhunter is making a point, and if you want to compare longivity of coaches, it's evident that Utah Basketball has been in a transitional state for a bit now.

Why you would want to demean Coach DuPaix, I have no idea (actually, I know exactly why). Maybe to get off the topic of the state of basketball on the hill, the topic of this article?

===
    Look at the Women's Gymnastics at the U. They have zero problem with loyalty from the coaches.

Nope, Uteology chose to slam DuPaix...

I'm estatic the U got Tommy Connor. A loyal, PG/AC. Things will get better. Just wait for it, instead of manufacturing misdirected stats.

Peace.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 15, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Despite all the rhetoric...besides all the crass remarks from both sides of the fence and besides the rivalry that will continue despite going in different directions...I seriously doubt that the PAC 10 isn't having second thoughts about the leftover choices they made with the Utah and Colorado invitations. I can't possibly see them seeing what is shaping up before their eyes as the Dream Super Conference that they were hoping for when they invited and were flattly turned down by the likes of Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska only to wind up with Utah and Colorado. This has got to be playing heavily on their minds...especially the continuous downward spiral of the Ute Basketball program.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 15, 2011 4:32 p.m.

DuckHunter

"Not to belabor the point but I have said many times on these boards that BYU engenders a loyalty unlike other places. Of course the wedgies, howies and christina b's scoff at that but I think this is simply more evidence of that fact."
    ===

Many Universities in the country garner loyalty from their alumni when it comes to coaches. Many highschool coaches are just as loyal.

BYU's loyalty might be "unlike" other places, but the Y does not corner the market on loyalty. Loyalty is a two way street. Many instutions have given people opportunities they would not otherwise have had. I would guess Majerus has given Alex Jensen opportunities, and respect that he is loyal to Big Rick.

What was surprising to me, was that Jerry Tarkanian was there to meet Rice. If anyone should feel betrayed, it is Tark.

But he was able to seperate the institution from the University President that drove him out.

It's refreshing to see people put loyalty ahead of money in sports.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 15, 2011 4:41 p.m.

Where's Stockton ??? | 4:22 p.m. April 15, 2011
    Bowling Green, OH
    ===

They had a "dream", but worst case scnario, the PAC-10 wanted the TV money from a football playoff.

So maybe it is a worst case scenario, but it still benefits the U.

Independence benefits BYU.

Both are much better off than they were in the MWC.

(And in my book, just the addition of Tommy Connor has HUGE benefits over a Boylen led team).

I'm looking forward to in state sports, and the end of the U and BYU being in the same conference.

• Scoreboard Draper, UT
    April 15, 2011 4:49 p.m.

@Mammalgram
    "has not officially asked for a release from his scholarship."

Doesn't say anything about getting cut and doesn't say anything about the school having released him from his scholarship. Nice try at an excuse but Methinks thou doth protest too much.

• Scoreboard Draper, UT
    April 15, 2011 4:51 p.m.

@JCH
    "Factoring in that Majerus is one of the five best college coaches of the past thirty years, do you still really believe that Alex's decision is a commentary on the quality of the Utes' program?"

Bwahahahahahaha (cough*sputter*cough). Sorry, I was drinking milk when I read your post and snorted it out my nose laughing so hard. Majerus WAS a good coach at one time for about a 5-6 yr stretch but ABSOLUTELY not one of the best 5 coaches the past 30 yrs. Its not even close.

Let me throw some names out there for you: Bobby Knight, Coach K (the real one), Dean Smith, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim, Lute Olson, John Calipari, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Brad Stevens, Jerry Tarkanian, Denny Crum, Billy Donovan, etc.

let's get a dose of reality here or post a warning not to be drinking milk when reading your posts.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 15, 2011 5:55 p.m.

@Veritas
    Oh there's no doubt about the PAC 10 wanting two divisions over one for a playoff... but had they drawn the likes of a Texas an Oklahoma or a Nebraska they would have made a significant staus enhancing fulfillment. But what they are ending up with has to be undeniably a huge disappointment. There definately has to be some murmuring about the way things are not falling into place. Utah will no doubt benefit but the PAC 10 commissioners and the other School Presidents have to be groaning and moaning.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 16, 2011 1:35 a.m.

But Stockton, let's face it. They were all winners in football locally.

The PAC would have preferred getting some real programs in there (Texas instead of Utah or Colorado... easy).

Didn't happen. Wouldn't have happened. Too much money to let them go. So Utah wins the lottery, and will pick up PAC revenue.

Fun question for all the Ute fanatics, how much TV revenue will come from Utah's footprint? The PAC will soon find out, TV sets being counted, but more would have been turned onto BSU football (or BYU) -- true, or not???

Now---

Basketball, the winners will come with winning games. The MC or HC need to fill up to bring in revenue. BYU can play away in 220 capacity wardhouses, and if they fill the MC, every game, they will do fine.

Meanwhile, if the Utes play to empty gyms at home, they make no money.

Both schools will do better than filling the other MWC gyms, but BYU would have filled the gyms and stadiums, and the Utes won't.

Sunday play has cost the PAC.

And given BYUtv futbol in South America.

Across the board... advantage BYU... Not the PAC.

Agreed?

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 16, 2011 8:15 a.m.

@Variates
    Wholeheartedly agreed!!!... but laughingly still doesn't deminish that the PAC 10 was fishing for monster bass to hang on the wall and caught a couple of tiny bluegills instead...Right!!! You do fish don't you??? Making a meal out of the catch was never the intent....so the dream fell short.