Utah Utes football notebook: Offense showing some signs of progress

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 14, 2011 1:39 a.m.

At this moment I'm reminded of an old Wendy's Old Fashion Hamburger ad slogan.

Come Saturday, weather permitting (ha ha), I believe a lot of Ute fans are going to be asking the same famous Wendy's question about the offense.

"Where's the Beef?"

• pittsburgh Ute West Jordan, Utah
    April 14, 2011 5:13 a.m.

I can see Coach Witt's concerns, but it is way to early to panic. First, we dont have Wynn out there so it is hard to say how well the true starters will respond. This is also a brand new offensive scheme and it will take some time to get everyone together on this. This first year will be interesting and I cant wait for it to get started!
    Go Utes!!

• Big_Ben SLC, UT
    April 14, 2011 8:44 a.m.

Excited to see how the offense has improved during the spring game. Glad to hear that Vyncent Jones is only going to be out 3-4 weeks. He is going to be the back up center, but you always need everyone healthy.

I wonder how many, if any, of the recievers will transfer. Going from a lot of 4-5 receiver sets to a lot of 2-3 receiver sets will mean less playing time. But, in the long run, the new offense will greatly benefit the team.

This defense, from top to bottom, is going to be awesome this year. The offense needs to pull its weight to keep the defense fresh.

Great day to be a UTE!

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    April 14, 2011 9:54 a.m.

oh sammyg, you are the hedgehog of byu fans.

I'm particularly excited to see the progress the young quarterbacks have made, I also want to see what our running backs have got. We already know the defense will be good, that's a given with a Kyle Whittingham, but I want to see who really stands out at DB and on the defensive line.

Football season can't come soon enough! GO UTES!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 14, 2011 9:59 a.m.

Wish I could be there Saturday, but I will be anxiously awaiting Duckunter's report on it.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 14, 2011 10:12 a.m.

"I will be anxiously awaiting Duckunter's report on it."

I'm sure Ducky's recap will be dire. Full of gloom and doom. Remember he has very close connections with the UofU athletic staff...he knows what he's talking about.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 14, 2011 1:23 p.m.

hedge;
    You seem to have a lot in common with Duckhunter. Your BYU reports are Dire, full of gloom and doom and you seem to know everything about BYU well enough to have a prediction about every subject that is discussed.
    Neither of you has an intelligence quotient higher than the mid 60's which allows you to function reasonably well in most settings.

Did your Grammy ever say anything to you about twins being separated at birth?

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    April 14, 2011 3:23 p.m.

Everyone say hello to TJ!

He is today's troll!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 14, 2011 3:36 p.m.

No! Defense showing signs of weakness. No bowl game this year.

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 14, 2011 4:10 p.m.

"We challenged them after the scrimmage," Whittingham said. "They watched the films yesterday. They understood what their deficiencies were and they came out here and worked hard on it."

This sounds earily similar to Boylen's constant "we're working hard and getting better" refrain.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    April 14, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Let's give the u offense a rest. They will surely need it this fall!

• uteowl Sunnyvale, CA
    April 14, 2011 5:09 p.m.

I didn't think Salt Lake City (or Provo for that matter) had that many bridges. Where, oh where, do all the trolls crawl out from? Wherever it is, I wish they'd crawl back and wrap themselves in the warm snuggly feeling that comes from dreaming of the National Championship that Jake Heaps is going to bring them in this, their first year of independence. Freed from the shackles of conference affiliation they can chart their own course to relevance and - dare I say it - their first BSC bowl. But nay! They must still focus their little troll brains on the hope that their hated nemesis to the north - you know, the one that left them behind - stub their toes and have a bad year.

The Utes are going to do just fine in the Pac-12. Chow will have the offense firing on all cylinders by the time the season starts.

• SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA
    April 14, 2011 5:12 p.m.

@ Sportscenter Sorry dude, there are Absolutely no similarities between Whit and Boylen. Whit knows how to coach, and produces what he says, Boylen doesn't, he just talks.

The Utes Offense and Defense will be great when the season starts. This is only spring practice. They have only a couple of weeks to work on it.
    The Coaches and the players are not panicking, why are the fans?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 14, 2011 5:22 p.m.

TJ! I couldn't have said it any better.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2011 5:39 p.m.

It is great to have so must interest in U of U football! Of coarse that is what 2 BCS wins in the last 6 years will do for you along with the switch to the PAC 12. I cannot blame people for ignoring other in state football teams. When you consider one local team will play the likes of Central Florida, Utah State, San Jose State, Idaho State, Louisiana Tech, Idaho, New Mexico State and Hawaii, who can blame them?
    By the way, did you see the espn article about the big 12's new TV deal? Apparently it secures the status quo for them for the next 13 years.
    Although Utah has been the bigger football story in Utah for several years now, it seems cemented in that position now. I welcome more attention on Utah football from fans of other in state teams.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    April 14, 2011 6:00 p.m.

Sammyg:

I've got a big challenge for you buddy. Let's see if maybe, just maybe, you could not comment on a Utah board for a least a day. Oh heck, let's make it a week. I know it will be extremely tough for you, but I have confidence that you can do this. We all know how obsessed you are with the Utes. But we understand, most byU fans are in fact "closet" Utah fans anyways. Afraid to be a Utes fan for they may not fit in. Especially in Utah County. Let go of the obsession and hatred, possibly call your bishop or seek therapy. I know you can do this sammyg of Springville, I have the faith. Can't wait for the scrimmage Saturday...Go Utes!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    April 14, 2011 7:03 p.m.

The MWC logo is tons better than the PAC 12 logo. Not everything is better being in the PAC, but we'll overlook that as we rake in cash and get a good opponent every year in the bowl game.

Excited about the D this year!

GO Utes!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 14, 2011 7:15 p.m.

If Clara was here watching this Saturday I'm sure she would say "Where's the Beef!". Of course we all would know that she was referring to Jordan Wynn's absence, wouldn't we? Or is this something she would say after Coach Wynn lines out the problems of the offense?

You poor guys are just so insecure that you can't take a little ribbing. I would be a sensitive too if my team had been hyped so much and then lost the big games and seeing coach's comments in these articles.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Utes and not so much on BYU but you Utesies keep on saying that the PAC is going to be your new playground all the way to the Rose Bowl and all the while saying BYU is going to the dumper. Well I'm just here to be a 'devils' advocate on that.

So at 1:30 am the Diet Coke hadn't worn off and a Wendy's hamburger just sounded so good and then this article popped up right before I went to bed. Amazing how inspiration comes when it comes to comedy and the Utes.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 14, 2011 7:29 p.m.

"So at 1:30 am the Diet Coke hadn't worn off and a Wendy's hamburger just sounded so good and then this article popped up right before I went to bed."

Samyg,

Admit it, the Coke wasn't un-caffeinated. It's ok, it's ok.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    April 14, 2011 8:05 p.m.

SoCalUte

"The Utes Offense and Defense will be great when the season starts."

I'll buy that the Ute defense will be great, it usually is, but what do you base your optimism for the offense on?

Utah has two young, very inexperienced backup QBs, who have performed poorly in practice, and an injury prone starting QB who struggled in every big game last season. Add to that inexperienced players at every other skill position, and a banged up offensive line.

Regardless of the coaching, that's not a recipe for having a great offense to start the season and, unlike last year, the Utes only get one creampuff to start the season.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 15, 2011 5:24 a.m.

sorry, meant to say Coach Whit, not Wynn, duh!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 15, 2011 6:07 a.m.

"The defense dominated [Utah]... They tallied seven sacks, broke up six passes, had four interceptions, recovered a fumble and scored on a safety."

I suppose if there's one less sack, broken up pass, interception, or fumble THAT'S what can be called "Offense showing some signs of progress".

I'm sure it will be better than this but how is this team going to recover in August? I think Coach Whit is preparing Ute Nation mentally for a mediocre season with his comments.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 15, 2011 8:09 a.m.

Sammy

you mean his comments like he made on ESPN that Utah's goal was to win the southern division. To me it sounds like Whit sees the team progressing like it needs to and actually knows what's going on.

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 15, 2011 9:20 a.m.

pocyUte

Goals and expectations are not always the same. I'm sure Coach Whit is optimistic that things will come together next fall, but realistically, there's a very real possibility Utah's offense could struggle early.

USC and BYU are both very familiar with Norm Chow's WCO. It's an offense that relies heavily on timing and precision, and if the Utes don't get that timing between QB and receivers working smoothly, they're in big trouble. Utah's defense can only do so much to keep Utah in the game, but if the offense is constantly going 3 and out, even Utah's stout defense will eventually wear down.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 15, 2011 9:49 a.m.

Sportscenter

Goals and expectations may not be the same, but if they aren't, it is a recipe for failure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Utah's offense won't struggle, but I'm not using reports from spring as a reason to say it will struggle.

In my opinion, success of Utah's offense early in the season will depend on the O'line. If Utah is able to establish the run, it will give the passing game time to work out the kinks.

• Pack Layton, Utah
    April 15, 2011 10:02 a.m.

This is a great time for college football in this state. Both Utah and BYU will get more national exposure in the future. The great thing is that many Utah high school players are helping both of these programs to be successful. Good luck to both Utah and BYU in the future.

• Clear123 Spanish Fork, Utah
    April 15, 2011 4:46 p.m.

What difference does it make if Wynn is out there or not? How hard is it to watch a qb trip over himself and throw to the sidelines?