Mike Sorensen: Staying may be best for University of Utah players

Comments

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    April 11, 2011 5:28 a.m.

I agree that it is stupid for any current Utah basketball player to leave Utah. But if they should, why not recommend the players go to either Utah State or Weber State instead of the universally despised BYU?

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    April 11, 2011 7:01 a.m.

Staying players may be best for Ute fans, but the players appear to think otherwise.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    April 11, 2011 7:14 a.m.

Wow, nothing like the local media trying to persuade the players. So much for objectivity. Journalism is now speculation mixed with ulterior motives.

If I were an objective reporter, I'd start digging into the story why so many players leave the basketball program? I wouldn't be writing an article hinting for them to stay.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Utah will be rebuilding next year so staying means being part of a team that will be lucky to finish above .500 next year. Some players may enjoy being part of that. Others may want to play for a winning program next year.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    April 11, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Er, Allen, could it possibly be, just a slight possibility, that it is because going to BYU would be a step upward instead of oblivion?

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    April 11, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Swoop, finishing above .500 isn't even a remote possibility. Going into the PAC12, Utah is going to be mighty lucky to win one or a remote possibility of two conference games. Football doesn't appear to be any more rosy for them in the PAC12 either. Utah will most likely end up being the bottom dwellers in both basketball and football for as long as one can see, or until the PAC12 decides that they are not an asset and bids them adieu. Well, so much for nice new (and very expensive) facilities that will be less than half filled. Maybe they will be able to figure out some other use for them, like another Olympics.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 11, 2011 9:10 a.m.

@allen

I love "the universally despised BYU" comment. LOL

As a matter of fact so many of the top local high school players "universally despise" them that they flock down to Provo to play for them. LOL

So many of the local basketball fans "universally despise" them that they fill up the 22,700 seat Marriott Center while avoiding the huntsman center like they may catch the plague, or a serious case of losing, just by going there. LOL

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    April 11, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Laser,

Journalism includes opinion and op-ed pieces in addition to straight reporting. This article did not appear on the editorial page but it is obviously an op-ed piece and that is ok. I want to read opinions from sports writers. I thought the opinions expressed were well reasoned.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    April 11, 2011 9:27 a.m.

Yes why are so many players leaving, I know the reason Majerus is not there was Bogut wasn't coming back if he stayed, straw that broke back for Coach. Something is really wrong and the players don't think K is the answer. The Masters was great

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    April 11, 2011 9:36 a.m.

"Journalism is now speculation mixed with ulterior motives."

I was thinking the same thing about Dick Harmon's article on the state of byU football. He was really trying to make us beleive that byU did not lose to Utah State last year and that they are going to beat Texas and Utah this coming year. lol

• Terry Sandy, UT
    April 11, 2011 9:54 a.m.

I think Allen#1 meant to say BYU is universally despised by all religious bigots like him! I went to Utah, but I grew up rooting for BYU, so I still root for both schools when they are playing anyone else from outside the state!

I must say I am not impressed with coach K yanking the scholarship promise Boylen extended to two 6'10 tall local talents because they are going on their mission first. If he wants to make an impression for the local talent, he should probably not alienate the local LDS kids who want to go on missions.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    April 11, 2011 10:40 a.m.

Good luck to new coaches and efforts in a new conf. Basketball will improve with a new start.

Just a question, I guess to Allen#1, or any other "dispisers" of a local program: Why is BYU "universally despised". It seemed like in sports highlights this past season BYU was pretty popular around the country. What is with the "despised" label here in Utah? Is it just local rivalry? Is it the fans? Is it the school and the association? It would be interesting to know.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 11, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Terry,

Where did you hear that Coach K has revoked any scholarships? I highly doubt that is true or at least not the whole story. Give us a source so we know you're not just trying to drum up animosity toward the new coach.

• steve84088 Orem, UT
    April 11, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Does O'Brien lose a year if he transfers to a PAC-10 school immediately since Utah is not yet a member until July 1?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 11, 2011 11:33 a.m.

"It's not surprising that players are leaving, considering an average of nearly four players per year have left the U. program over the past 20 years.

===

Something is wrong with the program, or with recruiting.

Maybe Coach Connor will get the program on track.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2011 11:46 a.m.

I think the BYU posters need to worry about losing their best offensive player in school history, losing the best defensive player in school history, losing their best current recruiter in Dave Rice. On top of all that BYU is moving to the WCC where if you win 25 games and win the conference you are strairing a double digit seed in the face.
    Utah has huge challenges and I do not know how it is going to turn out but I like the hiring of the 2 new asst. coaches and any player that does not want to help, best of luck.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 11, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Steve,

My understanding is that the rule for transferring are in effect. So if O'brien transferred to another Pac-12 school he would lose 2 years of eligibility. He would only have to sit out a year, and could use his red shirt, but he would come back as a junior.

The only way not to lose eligibility is to transfer to a lower level, like D-2.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    April 11, 2011 2:23 p.m.

I thought this article was about Utah's team not BYU's! Why are the Utes so totally adsorbed by what BYU does or doesn't do? Worry about your own team and let BYU will take care of itself!

• joecoog North Las Vegas, NV
    April 11, 2011 6:41 p.m.

gonefisin,
    if your so worried about byu going to the wcc you obvously dont know much about college ball. Gonzaga, you know tht team from the wcc, has been the top seed in atleast one game 7 times in the last 10 years with a top seed of 2 multiple times. Know what you are talking about before posting.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    April 11, 2011 8:38 p.m.

What's surprising is that any ute player would stick around to get their brains beat out next year! What's the over-under on how many leave. So they are up to 4 now!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 12, 2011 9:05 a.m.

Let's not panic about the players leaving the program. Yes, it would have been nice to keep some of the more talented players, but this team was terribly inconsistent all season and the rotation was not very deep. I think Boylen really only used 6 or 7 players on a regular basis. Maybe the players that are leaving are afraid of being pushed hard in practice or being held accountable when they don't play well. If that is the case, let them move on. I like the coaching staff that is coming together and I believe the can build a good team and a quality program. It will obviously take a while, but I believe it will happen.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Joe Coog
    You are now comparing BYU to Gonzaga! One win against Gonzaga with the player of the year and you think your program is as strong. Delusional.....
    By your rational if BYU wins the wcc they will get a 2,3,4, seed? It took almost two decades for Ganzaga to build the respect they have. St. Marys is a better comparsion to BYU. When Saint Mary's has a good year where do they end up? Seed 9 - 13.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2011 11:47 a.m.

gonefishn

When BYU has a good year, where do they end up?

a #3 seed (a #1 if they hadn't lost Davies)

The comparison to Gonzaga is simply to show that it's possible to play in the WCC and still get a very high seed. BYU has already proven itself with five straight NCAA tournament appearances and back-to-back advancements past the first round.

BYU playing in the stronger MWC has had six straight 20+ win seasons, back-to-back 30+ win seasons, and has won four of the last five MWC championships.

The Cougars bring their own deserved respect with them to the WCC, which will be a much stronger conference with BYU.

A 22-point win against the WCC champion, while playing without their two best front court players, shows that BYU isn't going to be the least bit intimidated by the big dog in the WCC.

Every top program has to replace outstanding players. BYU may not see another Jimmer for a long time, but the Cougars will still have a very strong team returning next season.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    April 13, 2011 7:25 p.m.

Terry: Don't call me a religious bigot just because I do NOT like BYU. We supported our 2nd daughter on an LDS Mission and paid most of her expenses to attend and graduate from BYU. If you would like to contact my bishop and stake president to confirm that I hold a current temple recommend, I will be happy to provide you with their names.