Utah Utes football: Monday's scrimmage a big deal for U.

Comments

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 11, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Another smart move by Kwhitt to move the scrimmage to today. As a coach who is well versed in utilizing the "scrimmage" (i.e. actually lining up against humans instead of traffic cones), Kwhitt understood that having said "scrimmage last Saturday would have been highly ineffective due to the poor weather.

• hedgelog Idaho Falls, ID
    April 11, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Whit, they have this new thing called the telephone. You know, the thing your fan took from a BYU fan and threw. I'm sure Larry has one, too! Give the man a call!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 11, 2011 10:07 a.m.

I'm sure if BYU had moved their scrimmage to Monday, and Utah had kept theirs on Saturday - a famous Ute troll would have been calling the Cougars wimps, or worse.

But instead, he is proclaiming what an inspired move it was for the Utes to move their scrimmage to Monday.

In reality, practicing on a clear day versus a cold, snowy day have their unique advantages and disadvantages.

Please let me know if Utes get 5,500 fans for their scrimmage.

• UC AGGIE Lehi, UT
    April 11, 2011 10:36 a.m.

@Cougfanin
    USU has more fan to spring ball then BYU's 5500 and Utah pulls in 10000-12000. When all is said and done how ever we all have a long way to go to get to SEC #
    Good Luck this year to all the in state teams

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 11, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Actually wedgie what has been "highly ineefective" has been utahs offense this spring. The fact is they have to have good weather just to be mediocre. They are dependent on everything, including the conditions, being perfect to even perform at any level of competence.

So you are correct, for utah, whittingham did the proper thing. He needs to convince them that they can actually complete a pass or have a run go for positive yardage. In order for there to ba any chance at all for either of those things to occur he absolutely can't have the slightest distraction or discomfort for these guys. After the way they were dominated by the defenses of TCU, BYU, Notre dame and Boise to end the season confidence in their ability to actually move the ball is undoubtedly sorely lacking. Whittigham knows this, since he is a smart coach, and knows that coddling them, babying them, and slowly trying to build up their fragile confidence and self esteem is a must if they ever hope to even score this coming season.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 11, 2011 11:00 a.m.

@uc aggie

Any more fiction to lay on us? Bwaaahahahahhaaaaaa.....

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    April 11, 2011 11:03 a.m.

@Duckhunter

You're spot on in your analysis of the Utah offense against TCU, Notre Dame, and Boise. About byu's defense though... well, they were good, but I've got to say, "scoreboard, scoreboard, scoreboard."

• Duckhunterr Highland, UT
    April 11, 2011 11:35 a.m.

I like to troll utah articles because I am insecure in my BYU cougars. Think about it. We have this huge run in basketball and where do we get? The Sweet 16. Thats it.

As far as football goes, I live and die by news about Utah's football team. I take fragments of information and exaggerate them to make myself look cool. The facts are, I am scared of losing to Utah this year. It will be 3 of the last 4 and 7 of the last 10. Its not looking good for my cougars.

Please don't be mean to me. I promise that I will not post when my cougars lose this year. In fact, I will be crying at home.

I need another box of tissues.........

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    April 11, 2011 11:38 a.m.

Half of these comments are from duckhunter and byu fans. Who cares!

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 11, 2011 11:46 a.m.

"I like to troll utah articles"

Talk about stating the obvious!

• sports fan Provo, UT
    April 11, 2011 11:47 a.m.

i like duckhunters comments they are pretty funny.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    April 11, 2011 12:10 p.m.

@CougFanin

The Red/White game has been averaging over 8,500 people the last few years. Last year was a new record, it was estimated around 10,500. I think this year, weather permitting, will be even higher than that. So I think we should easily be able to beat out the 5,500 that the Y game produced. But thanks for worrying about us. Can't wait for the game Saturday and the upcoming season...Go Utes!

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    April 11, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Wow, 10,500 to your Spring scrimmage. That's about the whole season's worth of attendance for the Huntsman Center this year. Welcome to Utah Coach K.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 11, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Wow, smack talking spring game attendance. I think this board has hit a new low.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    April 11, 2011 2:36 p.m.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 11, 2011 2:42 p.m.

"Smack talking attendance is the only leg coug fans have to stand on anymore. Sad and extremely pathetic.'

Yea, but harlines still open...right..uh,...anyone...eerr.

crickets crickets crickets

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2011 2:52 p.m.

- Duckhunter

You are mistaken, the offense is coming along just fine. Both Qb's were impressive last scrimage. By the way they are both back ups that can throw more than 10 yards down field unlike Riley "duck and run" Nelson. Talk about offense, wasn't the score of the spring game like 3-6? you better worry about your own offense. You know, the high flying offense that has a zero coaching experience at the OC and Wr positions.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    April 11, 2011 2:54 p.m.

It was a Ute that brought up the attendance numbers ... I don't know what she thinks that signifies. Speaking of sad and extremely pathetic smack talk, it's nice to see Hedgehog over on the Ute boards for a change.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 11, 2011 3:48 p.m.

"it's nice to see Hedgehog over on the Ute boards for a change"

Where else would you go to find a plethora of BYU fans?

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    April 11, 2011 6:52 p.m.

@In Stitches
    "It was a Ute that brought up the attendance numbers."

Um actually...no, it was your good buddy CougFaninTX with his comment "Please let me know if Utes get 5,500 fans for their scrimmage."

• utahman19 Bountiful, UT
    April 11, 2011 7:23 p.m.

-In Stitches

Get your facts straight.
    It was not a Ute that brought up attendance numbers - it was CougFaninTX at 10:07am who said the following
    "Please let me know if Utes get 5,500 fans for their scrimmage."

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    April 11, 2011 7:24 p.m.

Wallbanger:

That doesn't change the fact that you will get that many to a meaningless Spring scrimmage in football, but not to an actual homegame in basketball. Once again, welcome Coach K to the loyal ute fanbase!

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    April 11, 2011 7:41 p.m.

I enjoyed going to the packed Marriott center when the Cougs were down. It was electric the way the fans supported their team, even in a losing season...I mean they actually paid for tickets knowing their team would lose, filled the place, held hands in solidarity, and gave everyone on the team a participation trophy...it seriously was so classy. And this year they had a winning year and were still classy, making cool videos for young adult talent shows and never once a negative comment. Sports is so much more fun when nobody really cares about winning...Cougars rock no matter what!

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    April 11, 2011 8:11 p.m.

In Stitches:

You are really pathetic and your insecurity is blinding me. Talking about our basketball team on a football article. Your not a byU fan, your a Ute hater, trying to say anything negative about the Utes to make yourself feel better. I for one am excited to see how both teams do this fall.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    April 11, 2011 8:43 p.m.

@hedgelog

Talk about little-brother behavior. Now you've taken to copying the board names of rival fans. Nice job.

It's like this. Harline's not open. George isn't still running. And the team in Provo isn't winning.

Things have changed, and you need to come up with some new material to go with your new conference affiliations. Nobody's going to know what you're talking about in the WCC/WAC.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 11, 2011 10:17 p.m.

So the scrimmage went pretty much as predicted. The offense did not have one single scoring drive. Not one. The only time it scored, or even came close to scoring was when they did the red zone situations where they started inside the 20 yd line. Of course not being able to stop a pathetic offense in the red zone doesn't bode well for the defense either. LOL

On top of that ineptitude there were litterally 10's of fans there to watch it. That was probably for the best though. LOL

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    April 11, 2011 10:26 p.m.

I Still Can't Say It

I guess hedgelog is right up there with duckhunterrrr.

I actually used to like Ute sports until Hedgehog, Howard S., Chris B., hymn to the silent made me rethink my position. Actually, I STILL like Ute sports, I just think the Ute fans are arrogant and hypocritical. Something else Coach K. gets to look forward to -- if you all keep him around that long.