Utah Jazz notebook: Tyrone Corbin, Kobe Bryant praise Gordon Hayward's effort vs. L.A.

Comments

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2011 9:37 a.m.

Too much praise for Hayward at the moment. The dude had his first really big game. He should have stayed in college one more year.

Let's reserve the love for this kid until he becomes a little more consistent.

• deno22 Rexburg, ID
    April 7, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Most of the guys coming in should have stayed in college a few more years but the NBA teams have to draft them because they will be so good and have so much potential. It is just how it works now, they wanna get paid and I can't blame them. And I agree he is getting a little too much praise, he has been pretty consistent though over the past month in shooting but just never had the ball in his hands that much like last game against the Lakers. But I say we still just let him work hard and don't tell him he is finally "broken" out...this is why players go into slumps once we all start praising everything they do and they don't have that fire anymore.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    April 7, 2011 10:23 a.m.

As Hayward gets more minutes I think he will gain some consistency. I still think because he hasn't played a ton of minutes this year his confidence will be a little shakey. I'm afraid if he misses a couple of shots he will tense up and quit looking to shoot. By next year he will have the confidence to keep shooting through a little slump to get his shot back again. But one of the best thinks about Hayward is that even if his shot is off he still contributes in other areas.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    April 7, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Let's give this guy sometime...Two good games does not make a superstar..Let's hope they do not shower this guy with undeserved cash like they did Ostertag and the equally worthless Kirilenko.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2011 10:57 a.m.

I also agree that Hayward is getting too much praise. CJ and Fess got a lot of praise after the playoffs last year and that hype didn't materialize into what fans expected this year.

I will say this though, because of Hayward and Favors' recent play I am much more excited about Jazz games now than I was 2 months ago. This Portland game is now much more interesting because of how well the rookies are playing.

I do think that Hayward and Favors have a different makeup than CJ and Fess that should equate to a more promising future. There is also the difference between 2 2nd round gamble picks vs a #3 overall and a #9.

Both rookies have a long way to go, but they are showing they are on the right path.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    April 7, 2011 11:03 a.m.

@Sokol

He's on a rookie contract. We wont be dealing with the extension until 2014 when he becomes a restricted free-agent and we can match any offer made.

Same goes for Favors.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 11:05 a.m.

I like the fact he has been brought along slowly this season allowing him to improve his skills and body while he gains more and more confidence every day. We have all watched his shooting improve throughout the year but he has never taken many shots. I have noticed more aggressiveness over the past couple weeks and it seemed to really grow in the Laker game. He had never had the ball in his hands like he did against the Lakers so we will have to see if that continues or not. What I saw, is was what Gordon said. He is trying to be more aggressive. The other thing I saw is confidence from his team mates that I have never seen before. Confidence starts within yourself and grows from there.

When other people start to trust you, your confidence grows bigger. Thats how players become stars. That is the biggest reason rookies struggle in the beginning. It's not that they lack the skills. They simply have to earn the coaches trust and the players trust and mentally, that's a difficult thing to overcome. The NBA is for the mentally tough.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Agreed Sokol. That is the one thing that worries me about this rebuild. How are we going to pay all these players in the next 2-3 years when their contracts are up. We will also have 2 lottery picks coming up as well which could generate 2 more future stars. I guess we just need to let the chips fall and see what happens.

• OrlandoJazzFan Winter Springs, FL
    April 7, 2011 11:45 a.m.

I think the Jazz should go after Grant Hill in the free agent market. I know his best years are behind him - LONG BEHIND HIM - but just think what he could teach in practice each day these young players. He goes after it in a way we had hoped Bell would go after it. Bell is a bitter disappointment.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 12:14 p.m.

I have always loved Grant Hill and have thought the same thing however, I don't think he will leave Phoenix to come to Utah and like you said his best days are long behind him. He would probably just end up being like Bell.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    April 7, 2011 12:30 p.m.

I'm just grateful for a bright spot for one night.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    April 7, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Calm down people. Too much praise? As far as I have read he has not been given praise for anything besides what he has done...which is essentially carry the Jazz IN LA against the World Champs.

Nobody has said he is on his way to an allstar game etc. Nobody said he is supplanting Kobe.

Kevin Durrant and now Kobe have been complementary of him so clearly players who know how to play believe Hayward can.

Give him his due. The guy has shut his mouth and worked hard and finally some of it is working out for him.

Clearly he has more athletic ability than most people gave him credit and clearly he is starting to figure out how to use it.

Of course he is still a rookie and he will struggle and do dumb things. People are excited and rightly so given then fact this team has looked like a dismal mess until Hayward and Favors have showed us something lately.

Everyone is panicking over contracts years down the road. Relax and solve later.

The Jazz always get a core group and make their run. Then if no success, they make major changes and start over.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 12:47 p.m.

Good points Jazz Source... Good points..

• WYOREADER Gillette, WY
    April 7, 2011 2:17 p.m.

I agree he should have stayed in college one more year but he didn't and deserves the praise for this last game. Bigger and better things from Hayward are coming just keep watching!

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 7, 2011 3:21 p.m.

You can spin each game however you want to spin it. However the season is 82 games long and all players have their ups-and-downs.

Looking at all games played, the biggest contributors to the team have been AJ, Millsap, CJ and AK.

Guys like Hayward, Favors, and Harris still need to prove their worth to the team.

Guys like Fes, Bell and Elson have proven they are not needed for next year.

Hayward may be the hero today but where has he been all year? He needs to be able to bring it more often than not. So far this year he has been more "not" and less "yes". Hopefully he finishes the year out strong and brings it next year. Same with Favors.

It takes 8 players to win in the NBA. The Jazz are close if everyone steps up their game next year.

• The Jazz Truth Draper, Utah
    April 7, 2011 3:23 p.m.

What about trading our picks to move up and grab Williams or Harrison and then go get Rip Hamilton. Bam two shooting guards, one for now and a rookie to work in. We have some trade bait. Addressed our shooting needs and have money to go get a good backup center.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Re the Jazz Truth:
    Trading up in the draft is a real possibility, but after what KOC did to Portland to get D Will it's going to be hard to find a GM willing to trade down with us. I think the Jazz will end up keeping the picks.

As far as spending money on free agents goes: if I'm the Jazz I'm more concerned about spending to try and get Tomic out of his contract and bringing him over this year than spending money on older pricey veteran swing players. Neither Fess nor Elson have much of a future with the Jazz, but it sure would be nice to have another young 7 footer with potential if Okur can't stay healthy.

The Jazz should act as if Hayward is the 2 of the future, CJ and Bell will make fine backups.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Not sure if it's credible but I am hearing that Tomic is not coming along nearly as quickly as expected, he plays little defense and does not rebound well. I am not sure we want a guy like that at this point. If we are concerned about Okur's long term health, I think I would look elsewhere. Possibly to a player like Macus Cousin who we signed to a 10 day contract earlier this year or someone else.

I still have faith that Okur will be back healthy and ready to contribute next year. I think he just needs more time to strengthen that calf and let his back heal. When he played this year, he was not terrible so that leads me to believe he will be healthy next year. Also, they were going to try and bring him back before the end of the season but decided it might be a bad idea to rush him. Now he has about 6 or 7 months to get healed up and maybe longer depending on a possible lockout.

Hey CJ Miles: Your just upset that CJ might loose his starting job to Hayward. Common Admit it...LOL

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 5:39 p.m.

@CJ Miles: You're right about Hayward's production for the year and we'll see what he can do the rest of the year but you have to admit, he looked fantastic. He made plays for his teammates. He drove and dished, he went left, he went right and no one could stop him. He made the Lakers great defenders look silly.

I think what really happened is he gained the confidence of his teammates. It's been building little by little. It started a few games ago and came to a head in the Laker game. Before that game he rarely touched the ball. He never had plays run for him and I mean never. The bulk of the plays have been run for Jefferson, Millsap and Miles and that's a fact. In the Laker game, his teammates started to look to get him the ball and that's something that hasn't happened this year at all. They started to trust him and the part I loved the most is that Hayward seemed to want to carry the team. He wanted to be the one to make the play and he excelled.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 7, 2011 5:40 p.m.

Montana....... I don't need to worry about that. When Bell and AK are healthy, Jerry Jr. will make sure neither CJ or Hayward start!! Jerry Jr. likes the slow starts which is Ok with me. He just makes CJ look better when he comes in and gets them back in the game.

Okur will never step a foot on the Jazz floor in a Jazz uniform. He is toast!!

If Tomic were so good, don't you think the media would be talking about him? There is so many media members, they are always looking for a story. Tomic is not in the mix nor does he have the talent.

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    April 7, 2011 6:09 p.m.

Hayward was Williams punching bag.

Williams is gone.

We all know how Sloan treated young players.

Sloan is gone.

The season is "over". There is no pressure coming from a super star or a veteran coach.

Can you imagine Williams saying what Kobe was quoted as saying about Hayward?

Hayward is beginning to "show" what he has.

Time will only tell what he will bring in the future.

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    April 7, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Not sure why anyone would say that CJ is a major contributor in the Jazz season unless you are saying a major reason why the Jazz didn't make the playoffs!! 40 percent shooting doesn't cut it. The biggest thing I liked about Hayward's improvement this season is his ability to put the ball on the floor, see where all 5 guys are and make the appropriate play at the right time. That's pretty good for a rook, let alone someone who has been in the league for several years.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 6:26 p.m.

@cj miles: your pretty funny. Ak may start again if he comes back but Bell will not. I'm just hoping Ty get's the future starting lineup figured out before the end of the year so we don't have to come into next year experimenting.

I'm not sure why you keep calling Ty Jerry Jr. He does not coach the same at all. He is shifting lineups all over the place to try to figure out what works best. He has made more changes and adjustment since he took over than Jerry ever made. I was clamoring for Bell to be coming off the bench all year and Ty made that decision fairly quickly. Coaching in this league is not easy and often times it takes minor adjustments. You can't take over and just go making huge changes or you could loose your team. Coaches have to gain confidence in their players as well and I think Ty is gaining more confidence in Hayward every game. Watch out CJ, you might loose your starting job if your not careful. Gotta love the competition. FYI.. I love CJ just want more consistency.

• The Jazz Truth Draper, Utah
    April 7, 2011 7:03 p.m.

Ive seen CJ enough to know he's a bench guy and not a starter. The problem is will he except that roll and thrive in it? The same goes with Millsap.

Our lineup next year should be:

Harris
    Haward
    AK if he stays
    Favors
    Jefferson

Bench:
    Watson
    CJ
    Evans/Rookie
    Millsap
    Tomic? FEZ

Of course there will be some new blood, Bell and Okur and Price should be gone with Weaver in Price's spot. Both teams have some scoring balance and some D

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 7, 2011 7:09 p.m.

Don't forget just a week ago against the Lakers, CJ was making Kobe look silly with all his moves to the basket. Funny how everyone forgets so quickly.

When Hayward is consistent over 3 - 4 months I will change my screen name to "Howee" and take up my loyalties with him. Until then, I am staying with CJ as my man to save the Jazz.

Funny thing is CJ has better rebounding totals than Matthews, who everybody just misses so bad. And their scoring averages are within a few points and Matthews plays in a guard-friendly system. CJ will get his money in the next contract.

• Southern Utah Fan Enterprise, Utah
    April 10, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Why do the negatives stand out more than the positives?

Dont forget were a rebuilding team now, and have been sense Jan. You dont rebuild with out problems. I have had fath in Hayward and Favors sense the day they came to the Jazz. Evans needs 30 lbs of beef then we will have 4 good players for the front line. Would be nice to have a 7 footer that draws respect..
    I see Hayward as a player that will be able to play the 1 2 and a small 3 spot if need be.

Bottom line is Hayward and Favors have shown they deserve a chance at starting next year. At worse they have earned 30 min a game. I say start....