Utah Jazz stun Lakers 86-85 behind 22 from Gordon Hayward

Comments

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 5, 2011 11:19 p.m.

I guess I was wrong. Hayward can do it against the Lakers. Good job rookie.

Favors was very impressive except for his "Fes" like free throw shooting.

I am beginning to think that CJ is tanking the end of the season so the Jazz don't pick up his option. He was horrible tonight offensively. He did hold Kobe in check the first half as he didn't have a field goal at half time.

YOu tell me how they beat the Lakers on their home floor but can't win against anyone else. Ever noticed that when Favors starts, the Jazz win?

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Did Hayward just became the go to guy?

Those of you who think Kobe was just off today should remember that two possesions in the 4th when CJ guarded Kobe. Kobe made 5 points. Then they put Hayward back on Kobe and Hayward pretty much shut out the best player in the NBA. Especially in that clutch situation. Kobe NEVER loses that ball

And this Hayward to Favors combo works. Once Favors becomes a great free throw (70-80%) shooter, he'll be much more effective.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:28 p.m.

Great game for Gordon Hayward. It looks like he is really starting to develop. Maybe Kevin O'Connor's luck in the draft is getting better? We can only hope he can work some magic with the two lottery picks this year.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 5, 2011 11:32 p.m.

All the wrong teams lost and Utah goes and wins. This is not good for the lotto but it is really nice to beat the Lakers.

3-6 and 2-4, 3 point shooting by Watson and Hayward was just enough outside shooting to keep Utah in it, in spite of a weak game by AJ. Favors also played well. Fes could have been useful keeping Bynum off of the boards. The Jazz actually out rebounded LA?

Watson deserves a lot of credit for running the team well, scoring and rebounding. This was a good performance.

It looks like there might be some hope for next year?

Maybe Corbin deserves a raise for beating LA (LOL).

Maybe all the whiners will be happy now for a while.

• zjtech Erda, UTah
    April 5, 2011 11:33 p.m.

There is a light of hope :)

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:33 p.m.

@CjMiles

Don't make that excuse for CJ...matter of fact stop making excuses for him. Hayward is WAY better than CJ right now as a rookie, yes its true

Hayward has figured out how to play in this offense, not to mention he plays better D.

Good job Jazz, your game today made me forget about this horrible season for a couple of days......THANK YOU

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:33 p.m.

CJMiles: Glad you admit that Hayward is going to be good, he has a very good set of skills, he has a toughness about him I like, he shows he has some leadership qualities, he should just continue to get better.
    Favors looked pretty good but has alot of improving still to do, he is very young and should get much better, the more he plays. I think we saw the future of the Jazz with Hayward to Favors.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 5, 2011 11:35 p.m.

so Anonigma, are you trying to say that Hayward caused Kobe to lose the ball or that Kobe just lost the ball? I bet if you asked Kobe, Hayward had nothing to do with it!!

• JazzyMan Meadow, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Couldn't help but to comment. Great job by the young guys especially. Favors,Hayward,and even Evans at times played good out there.The only problem I saw this game from the Jazz besides lousy free-throw shooting was that Big Al took a couple too many shots when he was swarmed by the Laker defense. When Al gets to the point when he can make better decisions passing out of the post when he's doubled,it will make the Jazz a better team for obvious reasons. Milsap ,my favorite Jazz player because he brings it every night had a good game also. Milsap maybe ought to try playing the 3 position more often.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:36 p.m.

C.J. Miles

You are right, the rookies have work to do at the line. That will come. At least Favors has a better stroke than someone like Howard who shoots the same or worse than Favors after 6 or so years in the league.

I think Favors will get to 70-75% before long. Hopefully, like Malone, it will go even higher.

Wow those plays that Hayward and Favors made there at the end were beautiful.

Oh, and awesome Defense!! Tons of blocks, steals, deflections.

• tampicojazzfan West Jordan, ut
    April 5, 2011 11:40 p.m.

Way the go Hayward. We knew you had it and you just needed more PT looks like all of a sudden he has become the go to guy in our team. Gordon to Favors, looks like this 2 guys will bring the glory days back to town. He has been very vocal and is leading the team.

Let's go Jazz

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:41 p.m.

After such an ugly season . . . a thing of beauty tonight.

And Hayward? Guess he was angry about Butler's performance last night. He was simply awesome.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:43 p.m.

KOC has made a lot of Utah fans eat their words from the last draft. Good to see Hayward picking up steam.

Beating LA with basically 2 starters was sweet.

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:43 p.m.

Miles: CJ hardly held Kobe in check. I've never seen Kobe so disinterested in a game before in that 1st half. Gordon woke him up in the 2nd half by beating him on both ends of the court, but Hayward still never backed down. I'm not here to rip you or CJ though, you made great points.

They played the Lakers tough last week before finally getting beat down midway through the 3rd and now tonight. Yet against the Kings, they looked like they THOUGHT they were the better team and forgot to show up. I think that shows extremely poor leadership and poor coaching. Anyone can get up for the NBA champions but why not show that effort against perceived lesser teams.

Enough complaining from me though, that game was great! All three rookies have got me excited for next year. If they can't get a legit big center, i'd like to see Jefferson and Favors start, with Millsap being the go to guy on the 2nd unit. Maybe improve the 1 or 3 in the draft and let Hayward grow as the starting 2. I'm getting excited already. When's the draft?

• JazzyMan Meadow, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:44 p.m.

Every time Hayward has a good game,this motivates CJ to be better the next game. Woudn't be surprised to see CJ have a great game next game. Yes,this was probabably Hayard's best game of his career being that his points were not padded by garbage minutes. What impressed me just as much about Hayward this game was his decision making on where to throw the ball if his shot wasn't there,particularly when he drove to the basket. He did a great job of taking what the defense gave him and making it count.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:45 p.m.

@CJ Miles

Obviously Kobe will never admit it, but Kobe had no where to go. He can't shoot over Hayward, Hayward's got 2 inches on him. Even the fade-away didn't work. So I think Kobe tried to go for a lay-up type of thing or a pass, but that's where he slipped.
    Bottom line is: Hayward stayed in front of Kobe and put the hand in his face, that's defense in my book.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:01 a.m.

C.J. Miles

Come on bud, you should have stopped with that first post. Hayward had everything to do with that, he is a tough defender and makes it hard to get an open look and he length makes it hell for the person he is guarding.

You just don't make sense. Now the guy defending Kobe had nothing to do with him turning it over. If that had been C.J. guarding him you would be here telling everyone how great a defender C.J. is.

I don't get you really. I am trying to understand you. Are you a real Jazz fan or just when C.J. is doing well? C.J homer?

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    April 6, 2011 12:07 a.m.

I thought Corbin did his best job yet with clock management, substitution, and minutes allotted. He seemed to sense when the game was in danger of slipping away and either called time out or switched to a more effective lineup. This was a gem of game management, and I feel renewed hope in the coach too.

P.S.: I know the Lakers could have cared less. Still, pulling off a victory with the bench scraps he had available was impressive.

• Jazzguru Provo, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:08 a.m.

I was intense about this game as if the Jazz were the 1 seed in the west. I love the Jazz, and my hatred for L.A. burns hot. Great job on Kobe Gordon. Early on he blocked Kobe twice and was called for bogus fouls. Gordon will probably get lit up by Kobe next time they play because that is how Kobe rolls, but awesome job by Hayward tonight. Hayward penetrated the defense, had a thunderous dunk, played great d and hit some big shots. He looked more like LeBron hahahaha. It was one game, I know that, but what a game. Good job Jazz! Let's get some momentum going into next year!

• deno22 Rexburg, ID
    April 6, 2011 12:12 a.m.

I agree with Anonigma and CJMiles, Hayward played excellent D on Kobe and stayed in front of him and contested every shot. Although Hayward didn't make Kobe lose the ball he definitely made him go to a move he didn't want to where he then lost the ball. Hayward played extremely well tonight, I loved that play when Hayward picked his pocket and Kobe went straight to the ref and complained while Hayward got a lay in on the other end.

But the team played well at the end of the game, cause they shared the ball and Favors has great hands and passes well so that is promising. I am sad this season is almost over I love watching these young guys work. AJ just needs to get better at turning into two 7 footers and not shooting, cause that is an option.

• evanston Evanston, WY
    April 6, 2011 12:18 a.m.

CJ spent most of the second half where he belongs.........Next to Corbin. Rookies played great. I was actually into a jazz game for a change. How come Fesenko is always sitting out? Jammed thumb. You make 2 million dollars and can't play with a Jammed thumb? Migraines? Big Toes? Wow!

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:20 a.m.

Good fun game tonight, low score but still fun to watch (2nd half), the Jazz worked hard on both ends of the floor that is the only reason they won. The length of the Jazz starters bothered the Lakers just enough for the Jazz to stay in the game early. At half time it reminded me a little bit of the game last night zzzzzz Good grind it out win, It was good to see them win with a Al J. having an off night. Good team win! Good D! Way to clean the glass!

Good game rookies, the energy you brought helped the vets.....

man-o-man its good to se Kobe whine, but I think they will win it all!

• Draft dumbie Farmington, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:25 a.m.

Goooorrrrrdddaaaann! Tonight Hayward showed he has the potential to dominate even against very good players.

Derrick Favors is beginning to remind me of a young Karl Malone, only with more height and length.

Too bad the Jazz don't get to play the Lakers in this year's playoffs. They look like they could finally matchup against the Lakers.

Tonight's victory makes me want to think of some "what ifs":

What if the Jazz get 3-4 more terrific young players in this year's and next year's drafts?

What if the Jazz's young players quickly develop and reach their potential?

What if Kirilenko re-signs with the Jazz next year for $5-7 mil.?

What if Okur comes back from his injury next year and regains at least 80-90% of his pre-injury form?

What if the Jazz were able to get under the cap, and Deron Williams chose to re-sign with the Jazz as a free agent when his contract expired, so he could lead the Jazz's young players to several championships (if I'm going to dream, I want to dream big).

Finally, what if french fries were good for you??

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:32 a.m.

I am one of the people that did not believe that Hayward did not have a huge upside. I was wrong on great he is. I think he is going to be the Matt Jr. of our team. I love his hustle and heart. I am wondering who the Jazz are going to Draft? I am sure one pick has to be a point guard but what else?

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 6, 2011 12:39 a.m.

I knew he had it in him...Gordon Hayward will just impress us more...when he develops....good solid piece for the future....him favors evans and two lotto picks...nice

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 6, 2011 12:41 a.m.

Haywood is very good at staying in front of his man. His shooting is improving as he gets minutes and gets used to the offense.

CJ has been up and down for years. Some games he has played really well against Kobe. The key point is that the Jazz do not have to rely on CJ to carry them if Millsap can play 3 when he matches up and if Hayward develops in to a consistent offensive threat.

Being able to play AJ, Millsap and Favors together (at least part of the time) gives the Jazz a lot of flexibility. IF they have AK and if Evans develops, they have some depth at SF.

That means the Jazz can draft another PF, SF or preferably an SG/PG (Burkes, Jimmer, Knight would be nice). They can develop a player for a year or more.

2 lotto picks are really going to help this team. AND they should have money to buy a decent FA.

Keep in mind that Corbin beat LA with essentially 6 players. He lacks a closer at this point. The line ups are very fluid. The team leadership is a void.

This will sort out.

• Dick of the NW Bainbridge Island, Washington
    April 6, 2011 12:55 a.m.

A great team win. This game was a tease for next year. With a training camp and new draft picks and some changes in the roster, 2012 is looking better. It is not always talent that wins. It helps. But, playing hard within the team concept with talent will bring wins. After the Summer, the team can look forward to next year without all the drama and changes. Go Jazz!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 6, 2011 1:08 a.m.

Corbin's record against LA is better than most coaches.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    April 6, 2011 2:05 a.m.

Got this from another article. Phil Jackson giving Hayward props:

Phil Jackson, who rarely even acknowledges rookies, gave serious props to Hayward. Used his full name, pronounced it right and everything.

I wish Gordon Hayward would have stayed in college and helped Butler last night instead of kicking our butt, Jackson said.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    April 6, 2011 2:28 a.m.

This win takes some of the sting out of a very bad year,Hayward and Favors!!!,add in a bit of smallsap,Go Jazz,we might just have kept lakers out of 1st seed.Come on Miles,cj tankin it? that performance drops his stock even more.I`m willing to wait til next year and give Harris,Hayward,Millsap,Jefferson and Favors a shot as starters...Go Jazz!

• scalman Temecula, CA
    April 6, 2011 5:47 a.m.

Good goin, Gordon. I know that Butler loss hurt...shows you were able to regroup mentally and go into one of the toughest arenas in pro basketball and show your stuff well. I got a chuckle out of Kobe's comments that he was real fond of Gordon as an all-around player and reminded him of Jeff Hornacek, just more talented. Jeff was a great shooter, set picks well, and tried hard on defense. Gordon is much taller, longer, a better dribbler, and can block shots too and rebound well. I think Kobe could have found a better comparison if he thought about it a while. Anyway, always nice to beat the Lakers. Champagne, anyone?

• sports fan Provo, UT
    April 6, 2011 6:23 a.m.

great pics of celebrities, i understand there might have been some basketball too?

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    April 6, 2011 6:36 a.m.

wow u must tip your hat to that rook, gordo. that was an exciting game, i can finally say i got my moneys worth for one night. already the cellar dwellers are going to come out and they are just afraid that if the jazz win then we might lose a precious spot in the draft, but don't worry, jimmer will still be there when the jazz are on the clock, and hopefully still there after they are off too. hehe.

if you really want to jinx the jazz by rooting for them to lose, then u pull out the worlds smallest violin and make excuses, if the world just did what cellar dwellers wanted. i know i know, they want to protect that losing record coming into the home stretch, deep down they must like haywards game but then they can never be happy unless they make themselves heard, and if you listen to those guys we'll be in the lottery permanently.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    April 6, 2011 7:09 a.m.

First, if we're being honest the Lakers had an off night. That said, it was an inspired game from the Jazz and congrats goes to coach Corbin for sticking with the guys on the floor that wanted to win that game.
    I have been a little hard on Favors and I still wish he would play with more aggression but I think he really showed last night that if he works hard he can become a valuable asset for the Jazz. Hayward was unbelievable! Watson would bring the ball to half court but Gordon was directing the show last night and had AK like stats (when AK was in his prime). Great game and a ton of fun to watch. The Lakers got HAYWARDED !!

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    April 6, 2011 7:25 a.m.

Here is someone that wants to lead and is not giving up like the majority of the veterans. The veterans are dogging it. Switch me paychecks and you will see some hustle.

• Samwise Provo, UT
    April 6, 2011 7:58 a.m.

Finally something to give me hope for the future of the Jazz. I think they will be back to the playoffs for sure next season and after that could be really good if Hayward, Favors, and their two lottery picks this coming draft develop well. Go Jazz!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    April 6, 2011 8:03 a.m.

Y'all are reading way too much into ONE game. Lakers are 17-1 against the Jazz in recent history. This game is the exception that proves the rule. Go Lakers!!

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    April 6, 2011 8:15 a.m.

I'm officially jumping on the Hayward bandwagon. Sweet game.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    April 6, 2011 8:29 a.m.

it doesnt change anything the lakers are in the playoffs and the Jazz are not

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    April 6, 2011 8:30 a.m.

Good to see some life left in the team.
    Rooks seem to want it more than the veterans at this point.

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    April 6, 2011 8:39 a.m.

Good to see some life left in the team.
    Rooks seem to want it more than the veterans at this point.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 6, 2011 8:41 a.m.

He's been doing a good job on defense and sharing the ball. Now he has the confidence to take shots and make them. Look out Gordon, they're going to start guarding you a lot closer now, but that's OK. You'll stretch the floor and open up the inside game. I also like that Favors kid. These two guys are going to be great.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    April 6, 2011 8:45 a.m.

People,
    I have a dream that one day this Jazz team will rise up and live up to its potential to be a champion.
    I have a dream that one day in the Hills of Beverly, the Jazz will not act very brotherly towards the Lakers.
    I have a dream one day that even the team from Miami, sweltering in the heat of injustice will be punked by the Jazz
    I have a dream that my little children living in the state of Utah will be celebrating a Jazz championship

I have a dream today!!

• squeeze Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 6, 2011 8:46 a.m.

Don't forget that Hayward was a point guard before he sprouted to 6'9". Very nice fundamental point guard-like decisions and dishes in crunch time last night. Along with a pretty good outside game, that makes him very tough to defend against. Go Gordon!

• Jaggie Logan, Utah
    April 6, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Great! Maybe management will recognize that we have a 6'8 sg who doesn't need 30 shots to be effective! Hopefully this will keep them from throwing away a draft pick for a 6'2 who needs 30 shots!

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    April 6, 2011 8:57 a.m.

This game was my litmus test for the young guns and I'm more than happy. Looking forward to next season (that's all we can do now) I'm excited to see what lineups of Favors(5), Jefferson(4), Evans(3), Hayward(2), and Harris(1) can do. I hope Milsap(4) is Ok being the Jazz version of Ginobili.

Let Favors, Jefferson, and Milsap share time at the 4/5 spots
    Let Evans, Hayward, and Weaver? share time at the 3/4 spots
    Let Harris / Watson share time at the 1

CJ has some value. Trade him for a legit backup 2 (Hayward starts) and I'm looking forward to next year.

I'd even take Jimmer as an off-the-bench fireplug. I'm old enough to remember Vinnie Johnson for the Detroit Pistons. He was instant offense off the bench, nicknamed 'The Microwave' (goggle him, you'll understand). If Jimmer can learn to focus on his defense as well as his offense, that would be sweet!

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    April 6, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Regarding Hayward, can't he be eligible for some kind of award for being the first guy in NBA history to lay down a hard dunk while sporting a farmer tan:)

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    April 6, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Oops. I meant Hayward, Evans, and Weaver? sharing the 2/3 spots.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    April 6, 2011 9:07 a.m.

@Jaggie,
    Jimmer needed to take 30 shots for the Cougars to have a chance. Imagine how effective he can be when he is surrounded by other NBA players that can also score and teams won't be able to tripple team him

• 3for5spotshooter Sun Valley, Idaho
    April 6, 2011 9:10 a.m.

Maybe...

Hope springs eternal...

In the hearts of Jazz fans...

It was a long COLD winter...

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:12 a.m.

loved it. I taped the game and watched it until mid night. Also had to watch the post game. I hope GH turns into another momo G. He is so athletic he would be a great point forward. Shoot drive pass defend.

• lench Draper, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:28 a.m.

CJ Miles gets more free passes than a new convert to the church.

'Sure he took the Deacons out for donuts after church...but he's a convert.'

'CJ is just young and developing his game...he's going to be great!'

'I know he swore at the pulpit...but he's a convert.'

'CJ is just a young kid, he'll get consistent.'

If you haven't developed some level of consistency after 6 years in the league, then it's highly unlikely you will wake up one day and start putting together a string of consistent games.

Here is your 2012 Utah Jazz:

PG: Harris/Watson/B.Knight (Kentucky)
    SG: Hayward/Bell/J. Crawford (Hawks)
    SF: Millsap/Evans/Leonard (SDSU)
    PF: Favors - backed up by Millsap, Jefferson & Evans
    C: Jefferson/Okur/Elson, Fesenko or insert any other irrelevant 7 footer

It's not great...but at least it's a playoff team.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:35 a.m.

Next year should be a good one for the Jazz. I'm not predicting a championship but they have some good players, some money to spend if something good comes along and 2 lottery picks to use as they wish. Kirlenko should be gone unless he wants to even the score by signing for 3-4 mil. Okur could be done although I would like to see him come back from this season and have a good one next year. Lose Price pick up a better center with pick, trade or both and see what we can do with a healthy Harris at point guard.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Did Gordan Hayward really just take the game over against Kobe Bryant at the stapels center?

The Jazz's biggest problem over the past decade is that they never had a solid 2 guard, I don't think they have that problem anymore. If at 6'8" Hayward can be our starting 2 and produce like he has been, the Jazz will be back in the playoffs next year.

Favors also played great, he held his own against 3 of the biggest and talented big men in the world. I don't think anyone would disagree with me if I said that this guy has shown glimpses of a future all star. He could be the big shot blocking big man Jazz fans have been coveting since Mark Eaton retired.

I said at the beginning of the season that the key for Jazz success would be the progression of CJ and Fess. Well, they didn't progress and now the Jazz have a losing record. I now think that the key to next year's success will depend on the progression of Favors and Hayward.

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:43 a.m.

This win is enough to give me hope that something good could develop out of this team. Good team work at the end of the game was fun to watch.

However, I hope all the Jazz fans out there can take this win with a grain of salt. Bad teams often come from nowhere to get wins over great teams. They did have a little help by the officials not giving the Lakers the calls they are used to (the Jazz still had fouls to give at the end of the game). There was also a little luck involved also. Kobe dropping the ball on the last possession was just luck for the Jazz.

Even so, I am enjoying the ray of sunshine I was allowed to glimpse last night.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:44 a.m.

A young team...a couple of great rookies...great draft picks...does anyonw know when the 7' from Europe will be coming to Utah?...this just might work out.

• weedeater Murray, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:46 a.m.

I loved Haywards Ju Jitsu move on Kobe when he stole the ball. He put an arm in Kobe's chest to push him away from the ball and gather momentum for himself, then ran the floor for a layup. Yah, it was a foul that Hayward got away with, but that was good hard play against Kobe Bryant. That was fun to watch. Gordon "Grrrasshoppa'" Hayward is smart enough to learn Kobe's little secret dirty plays and then use them back on him (like trading elbows). That's good.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    April 6, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Wow the naysayers and ship jumpers are now scrambling from their rafts for the ladders to get back on board the ship. I have maintained since the D-Will trade that these rookies needed more playing time and hopefully that will continue these last 4 games. Sloan would never have let these guys play like they have the past few weeks but that diifference of mentality has been bridged by Corbin as well but somewhat later than it should have been.

The future for this team lays with Hayward, Favors, Evans, Harris, Jefferson, Milsap and what 2 lottery picks will provide. I still believe Fess can be a good member because of nightly matchups and his size. Get a good big man coach soon and let him work with Fess, Favors, Evans and anyone else added this off season especially on conditioning and all other aspects of NBA basketball. Good luck Jazz and all of you work hard this off-season because we believe in all of you.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Where are the Sloan haters?

I mean when Sloan lost to one of the worst teams in the NBA (that would be us lately) then he was an awful antiquated coach.

So where is the criticism of what an awful coach Phil Jackson is since he lost to a team that just lost to the Kings and the Wizards on their own home court?

Where is all the criticism of the awful triangle? What about their horrible defensive philosphy not being able to stop a lowly rookie on their own home court?

Sloan was repeatedly called an outdated coach when these anomalies happened to him.

Guess it pretty much exposes the duplicitous double-talk bias coming from you NBA coaching wannabe's who think you know everything but clearly don't.

Phil Jackson is a good coach but the same thing just happened to him that happened to Sloan.

Jackson lost a game on his home court, to a couple of rookies, a mash-unit of a roster, with only two remaining starters, in a crucial playoff run for for the Lakers to get home court advantage.

Phil Jackson is worthless...obviously.

• MelancholyMe Ogden, UT
    April 6, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Where was CJ's 40 points last night? I think the rookie just put a nail in CJ's coffin.

I am not the biggest CJ fan, but I do see that he had the greatest potential of all the Jazz players. The only thing that CJ lacked was in his head. He would take shots at the wrong time, would often become a black hole when the team needed ball movement, and just loaf at ill advised times.

If CJ would have just got his head on straight, he would have become Kobe like. Now it will be Gordon Hayward that will take the spot light and CJ will be escorted off the stage.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Hayward's play the last month has shown that the Jazz don't have to draft a wing player in the draft. The wing is still the Jazz's biggest weakness, but I think Hayward's progression means they can take the best player available instead of reaching while trying to fill a need.

The Jazz also might try and play Milsap at the 3 next year if they can't get AK back. Yes Milsap will struggle to guard some of the quicker 3s but those same players will struggle to defend Milsap in the post. If Milsap can split time at the 3 and 4 he also won't wear down as quickly throughout the season. I really believe that the Jazz are going to ask Milsap to drop some weight, work on his perimeter game and get ready to play at least 10 minutes a night at the 3.

• kallen001 Harrisville, UT
    April 6, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Think about this....

In the 2010-2011 time frame, the Jazz will add 4 lottery picks the the roster! That is a serious influx of talent to add to an NBA team in a very short period of time. If the Jazz can luck our or move up and get an elite Point Gaurd (Kyrie Irving) and an athletic shooter on the wing, this team will be very fun to watch next year.

• PalmG Glen Allen, VA
    April 6, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Im sold on hayward now as an important play of the future. Lets pick up CJs option and use him in a trade this offseason. Ben Gordon could be someone you can get. I know his stats are awful right now but that probably because hes in detroit and no one wants to play there. Or corey maggette maybe who can be a good scorer we could use. I hope we dont re-sign kirilenko hes honestly not that good. Same with fesenko. I havent been sold in Devin Harris right now as our point guard, but i say give him a chance next season unless we can get kyrie irving. next season looks more promising if we make the right choices in the draft and get someone who can contribute right away, so we should find a way to get in position to draft derrick williams. Hopefully with this win the jazz can have more confidence in themselves, finish this year strong and come back next year ready to show d-will what hes missing

• PalmG Glen Allen, VA
    April 6, 2011 10:25 a.m.

plus hopefully ante tomics comin (Pau gasol 2.0 apparently) to the jazz next year so he can help our center position

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    April 6, 2011 10:29 a.m.

how do you spell defense, gordon=defense.
    i had to listen to mcchale and webber talk about the ugly game but i was loving every minute, and by the end, mchale and webber were more pysched than i was, and the crowd there at staples were jacked up as well. Why do people think that defensive grind it out ball is boring when all the other signs indicate otherwise, and jazz fans agree, we like our blue collar players especially when they have a motor like hayward. One thing I wasn't worried about hayward was his motor, i saw the predraft workout and he was the only bluechip talent to participate, and he was "working" harder than anyone else, so i wasn't worried about his motor. I didn't realize at the time what a nice frame he had, but I did notice he had good lateral movement which came in handy last night. Hayward led against the lakers last night, surprise attack-fair enough, but it ain't ever easy to ambush the champs, 17 straight losses=history.
    MchaleandWebb, they didn't want to say anything,
    but it was obvious that they were gushing over hayward.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    April 6, 2011 10:32 a.m.

I love all the Kobe rippin'. He reads blogs to get psyched up. This will likely put him in the right mood to lead the Lakers to their 2nd 3-peat in recent memory. We'll worry about playing the Jazz in the playoffs....when?
    Go Lakers!

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 6, 2011 10:40 a.m.

wow we accually pick the right guy in the draft and go get a shot blocker and a few games later we accually look as though we have a promising future to be a contender the two things i have bashed koc over for the last 10 years...now future contender pieces look like they are taking shape no longer a pretender foundation like when we had cj and okur williams and boozer... obviously this will take time and there is much much work to be done.. like the two lottery picks.. I just hope koc doesnt blow those.. Its so amusing to me to see all the comments.. first about how we should have kept wesley mathews (but only after the season was well underway) while last summer i was the only person on here saying keep mathews... and now all the hayword comments.. lol although there were a few ppl besides me saying to give him time bc he is only 20 years old and doesnt even get much playing time.. about 75 percent seemed to bag on him when they should have been bagging on about half of the other players..

• kallen001 Harrisville, UT
    April 6, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Heyward is the reason the Jazz should PASS on Jimmer and Kimba Walker. The Jazz need well-rounded players in the draft. Not niche players.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    April 6, 2011 11:05 a.m.

Veracity:
    Ante Tomic is playing for Real Madrid. I think has a year left on his contract.
    Favors and Hayward can replace CJ and Fez any day in my book.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    April 6, 2011 11:11 a.m.

Veracity:
    Ante Tomic is playing for Real Madrid. I think has a year left on his contract.
    Favors and Hayward can replace CJ and Fez any day in my book.

• tampicojazzfan West Jordan, ut
    April 6, 2011 11:38 a.m.

I liked how Hayward played the last few games, he was the leader very vocal and I liked when he went to Favors and provide some confidence on the FT I don't blame him he is only 19. I had this crazy idea, we should try to make a run for Gilbert Arenas we can pack CJ and Fess or something. He is a PG who can shoot the ball plays defense can lead the team has play offs experience and is a veteran. Arenas,Hayward,Millsap/AK,Favors,AJ. Let's make it happen KOC.

Go Jazz

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    April 6, 2011 12:02 p.m.

This is not good for the lottery. Hayward is still a mystery. However, it is obvious that Favors is the real deal. Their point guard has a "pulled hamstring" which I hope is not in his head. You could move Jefferson and Millsap to forward with the bringing in of Tomic and a strong possibility of Kanter who is a beast. They also have a shot at Brandon Knight. The problem is that they need to sign some "Little Sisters of the Poor" to 10 day contracts to ensure that they do not win the rest of the season.

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 6, 2011 12:45 p.m.

I love the jimmer But not! in the lottery.. are you kidding me.. we already have a launcher in c.j. We could pick up Eric devendorf from syracuse currently in europe who had the big east tournament scoring record untill k. walker went nuts this year who's in europe and he would be a better nba player then jimmer ... nuff said!

• MelancholyMe Ogden, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:47 p.m.

@tampicojazzfan

You are hilarious.

Skip the fact that Agent 0 would never want to come here, but I don't think many Jazz fans would want him. He is a thug, always hurt, and a cancer for any team. That would be a great pickup.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:55 p.m.

I can't believe I just read someone suggest we get the awful player that is Gilbert Arenas. His contract is a nightmare!!!! Almost $18 million! And he is awful. Have you seen him play this year?

I hope that was a joke. Has to be...has to be.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:57 p.m.

GIVE ME THE BIG LINE UP!
    C- Big Al
    PF-Favors
    SF-Milsap
    SG-CJ
    PG-Harris/Watson

This starting line up gives me hope. Air Gordon gives me hope too. This team might go under the radar and shock some people next season.
    2011 draft will go down in history for this team, one way or the other. There is a lot of talent in this draft class, I hope we get it right.

GO JAZZ!

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 6, 2011 1:52 p.m.

I love Jazz fans. It was just a few weeks ago that everyone was singing CJ's praises and shouting at KOC for not finding a shooting guard for the team.

Fast forward two weeks and CJ is a bum and Hayward is the second coming of Kobe and the shooting guard problems of the Jazz.

CJ is not being traded anywhere. The Jazz need him to be successful.

You all forget he was hurt last night and went to the locker room for over a quarter. Why Jerry Jr. had him guarding Kobe down the stretch with a bum leg is beyond my reasoning?

I would like to see the Jazz use CJ more as slasher and cutter and not so much as a set shooter where he fails miserably. Again that is bad coaching by Jerry and Jerry Jr for not using CJ's strong points and giving him the ball where he is most likely to fail.

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 6, 2011 2:00 p.m.

This draft is bad for us bc there is no value at the number 6 pick bc the 6th thru 11 are all the same but someone could slip. lets say perry jones ok good project and i mean project he is like a high schooler but dang he is oooozing potential at 6'10 and unstopable with height/skill if he wants to work usually you get those guys at the 8-16 spot (josh smith 17th)..so we might go there on massive upside even though he will take time the but there are negatives with him but hes to young to know yet..we need to get lucky and jump to top 3 imo espes with koc making the pick.. we need another no brainer ala dwill, like kyrie irving .. so when that doesnt happen and we are at 6 then you assume we get the choice that would come down to burks and jones and some would say b. knight? right now im leaning twards burks..but that could change after pre draft and camps and if sombody else slips burks sg for us can handle shoot penatrate get fouled pass reb.. what else uwant

• gazelle Murray, UT
    April 6, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Must I remind everyone that Kevin drafted this guy. Oh and he was smart enough to get Favors as well. Cannot have it both ways people. Guess the guy knows what he is doing after all.

• gazelle Murray, UT
    April 6, 2011 2:13 p.m.

Dude get over CJ . I mean you just have to accept the fact that this is who he is. Sorry to tell you but his best value will be coming off the bench. Ride his good nights let him sit the rest of the time.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    April 6, 2011 2:13 p.m.

I hope I am eating my words with my thinking Hayward was a bad pick. I keep hoping I was very wrong.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 2:23 p.m.

LOL @ Eric devendorf

A guy who couldnt make an NBA roster, and you want him in the Jazz? yeah ok lets stock pile on the no name talents and hope for the best, while he takes minutes away from the young guys who ARE the future of this team....GREAT LOGIC

Depending on where the Jazz draft with there 12th or 13th pick, name a player in recent drafts in that position have been an all star.......

Whoever we get at 12 or 13 is going to be like other 12 and 13th picks a role player that was either BPA or a player that fits the team's need's.

What we need with our 2nd pick is a back up PG (Jimmer, Kemba, or Nolan Smith) will likely be the best available players left which will fill a TEAM NEED.

With our first pick it has to be a SF that the Jazz need to address, We can not come away from this draft without drafting a SF to take over for AK if he doesn't come to the Jazz.

Sapp playing the 3 is not the answer, he needs to be our 6th man

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    April 6, 2011 2:26 p.m.

Great win, even if most of the game was painful to watch. Hopefully, GH is coming into his own, and last night wasn't a flash in the pan.

The frontcourt is set next year with AJ, Sap, Favors, Okur and possibly Tomic and/or Fes if resigned.

Next year 8 players are under contract, with an option of $3.7M for CJ. Jazz will probably only carry 13. It doesn't leave a lot of room to draft 3 players.

I say re-sign Watson for $1M and AK if cheap.

Look hard at Scottie Reynolds (6'3" 2010 All American from Villanova who was first AA not to be drafted) and Sherron Collins (6' 2009 and 2010 All American- who was drafted and scored 30pts in last summer league game last year, but cut when team (Bobcats?) had to reduce players for trade). This guy (cost $500k vs $4m) would be heir apparent at PG if Harris doesn't pan out, and either is just as good as PGs in this draft.

Package draft picks and/or players (Price, CJ, etc) to get high pick for SF, or obtain worthy veteran SG/SF.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 6, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Gazelle: YOu are totally wrong. Since CJ has been starting, the Jazz are not 10 points behind after the first quarter. CJ is a starter who helps get the Jazz going early. You don't bring a player off the bench that is helping your team start faster. Until the CJ became a starter the Jazz were bad out of the gate.

The part that you are right is he should be benched if he is playing bad or jacking up bad shots. Or being lazy and not playing defense. I have no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is Jerry Jr.

• gazelle Murray, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:51 p.m.

Re Miles: You know I was/am a Raja fan. His shot never came back. Sad really. I think the Jazz took a gamble on that and maybe let him stay in there a bit too long. Mixed with other things that happened I think those were the reasons for the slow starts not so much CJ being the solution.

Believe me I am cheering him when he is playing well. But I still think he is a bench guy. Most times I am wishing he was riding somebody elses bench I have to admit. And that has nothing to do with talent. Its a mental thing for CJ. He does not understood his role. CJ should have went to college to learn how to play with other people.

In my opinion the best thing CJ Miles can do is accept the fact that he is NOT going to be the next Kobe Bryant or Jordan. Nothing wrong with just being another good player. He needs to stop forcing it and just be CJ ,

Whoever that is....

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    April 6, 2011 4:00 p.m.

If Kirilenko were a leader and not just Masha's boy toy, he would be the grizzled player to help them out of this mess.

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    April 6, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Watch CJ is going to have a break out game. He always seems to play extra motivated after Hayward plays well and gets some press.

With CJ it is a motivation issue. Notice how he played out of this world when he was first given the starting position. Now a few months later and garbage time where the games don't matter much he barely shows up.

I say package him and first round pick to move up a few spots. Maybe will get lucky and that could get us a Barnes or Williams.

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    April 6, 2011 6:12 p.m.

I like it when the Jazz win but I love it when the Lakers lose! The only better game this NBA season was when the Lakers lost to the Cavs. That was hilarious!

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 6, 2011 6:19 p.m.

@CJ Miles

again you never miss to make me laugh...i taped the game and watched it...i think it was the third quarter...CJ jacked up a moving three...who do he think he is...Ray Allen?...that's poor shot selection...his feet wasnt set when he took the shot...but im going to try to see it in your shoes...CJ can be a scorer...but anyone can score...you can have 5 guys score 15 and win the game...the difference between CJ and Hayward...when Hayward took over the 4th quarter last night...it was like he was still playing for butler...he became the catalyst...every possession started from him...and its not that he would score all on his own...he created opportunities for others...his court vision is good...and even though he has a shot...and if he sees someone who has a better look...he passes it...4th quarter...dish to Earl Watson for the 3...that's a ball player right there...although Hayward still has lots to learn...but if you had given him 6 years to develop...it would be scary...

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 6, 2011 6:35 p.m.

@ coconutzz im not saying to pick up Eric devendorf what im doing is comparing a non drafted player with one you say we should take 12th along with nolan smith at 12 lol wow on the smith suggestion .. once again ill say that the easiest postion in the nba to aquire is point guard so dont wast picks on them too high...back to eric devendorf and jimmer they are the exact same player both hit three's both take it to the rack with much success despite their heights 6'3 and skin color both white .. both are not true points and both are too small and lack defensive prowis to be a prototypical sg... Although If devendorf got a chance in the nba he would be just as good as jimmer but he will never get that chance bc the nba doesnt like thugs with criminal history unless they have all-star talent..

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 6, 2011 6:38 p.m.

The Jazz have the following players back or most likely back next year.

AJ(14 Mill), Millsap(8), Harris(9), Favors(4), Hayward(2), Bell(3), Okur(11). CJ(4)team option, Evans(1) non-guaranteed, Watson(1) probably renewed, Fes(1)? AK(?)?.

There was supposed to be a deal to trade Bell to MN for maybe Flynn or ?. Okur may be better or could get traded depending on the CBA. CJ is probably renewed. Watson is a steal. Fes is worth 1 Mill.

Most pundits have AK running to NJ but time will tell.

Add in 2 lotto picks and that is 14 players. I suspect there will more change.

KOC is quietly building a decent team and should continue getting talent. He has a model of trading high priced stars for young players with potential and picks. That model can keep Utah in the playoffs without matching LA's salary. He can also dumpster dive for Mathews types.

The Jazz are no longer afraid of change and talent.

They will win when they get enough players (at least 8 with high win scores). That is starting to happen as AJ/Millsap/Favors/Hayward improve. Harris/AK are decent.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 6, 2011 6:54 p.m.

Al Jeff needs to bulk up...have muscles...he needs to get nasty on D...if he really wants to get into the playoffs...he better learn how to play D...Evans...was getting overpowered by Odom on some plays...he really needs to bulk up...i hope it wont affect his spring like hops...Hayward...well...the game last night...is what i envisioned him doing for the Jazz...he still has lots of things to work on...Favors was a surprise...he is very quick for his size...moves well without the ball...Al Jef should tutor him some post moves...and work on his free throws...He should be the starter and he'd be a perenial all-star...Millsap...i really think he should be a sixth starter...and hope that we could get...either Jan Vesely or Perry Jones in the draft...both of them are 6'11 and plays the 3 spot...think about the matchups they would have...watson should be kept...and be the team's permanent back up PG...

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 6, 2011 6:55 p.m.

If thats true that bell could be traded for flynn im all for it .. Flynn has top flight athletic ability at the pg spot and will be a starter in this league sooner then later ... so with devin harris injury history i would love to get a flynn to develop behind him and potentially replace him..

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    April 6, 2011 9:44 p.m.

@Jaggie--Come on buddy and do your homework; your post was ignorant at best. If Jimmer doesn't put up 20-30 shots the Y isn't ever NIT worthy. Give me a break. Jimmer, IMHO, would be a great pick up as his instant offense. Very underrated passer and his court IQ is amazing. Watched every home game live and feel my observation and assessment is accurate. Take a time out and watch tape. The kid is a stud.

@lench (starting line-up)
    C-Jefferson, Fess, draft/trade(a must)
    PF: AJ, Favors, Sap(at times), AK (discount)
    SF: Sap (develop), AK, Evans, Draft-I would take Leonard
    SG: Hayward, CJ, Draft (Burks, Jimmer), Bell unless we can trade him:)
    PG: Harris (not sold as our future PG unless he can start acting a "true" PG), Watson, Draft--I like Knight but would take Irving ahead of him (wishful thinking I know), Jimmer(could play #1 or #2 here) I don't like K. Walker--not sold on him.

Captain L had some nice pics as well. Not sold on Kantu as his knees scare me--don't need anymore injuries. Go Jazz.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    April 6, 2011 9:48 p.m.

@PalmG --Tomis is no Pau Gasol--trust me. He has upside but most have heard nothing about him this year. I heard a lot about him last year (2009) but not a lot in 2010. He needs to put on weight and develop more. But please understand this, he's not Pau or anywhere in the same league right now....

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 6, 2011 9:51 p.m.

Flynn is not doing well in the Triangle in MN. Maybe you know a reason why he would do well in the Jazz system?

He appears to be a smaller maybe less skilled cheap version of Harris.

Do the Jazz need a shooting big PG of the DWill mold?

Is Corbin going to build the offense around the poorer FG shooting Harris type PG?

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    April 6, 2011 10:04 p.m.

@Bugoff--I hope Corbin doesn't build anything around Harris. I just don't think he is our future. I have commented several times to your post about his ranking. He is NOT a top 10 PG in the NBA as you have eluded to several times in past posts. I could think of 10-15 PG in the league I would take over him and this doesn't include a few in the draft. I will give him a chance but he nowhere close to our last all-star PG. DWill is playing hurt but dishing out some serious/sick assists. Harris is not the man long-term....

• Indy05 Peoria, AZ
    April 6, 2011 10:08 p.m.

@amgolfer

I think that the Jazz have a good chance of moving up in the draft and could maybe get Irving. It would depend on who gets the #1 pick but in 2005 we gave a 6th pick, 27th pick, and the following year's first round pick to move up to #3.

Given that history, I think if we gave our 6th pick, 12th pick, and 2012's first round pick we could get to #1 and get Irving. But it would depend on who got the number one.

I just don't see much worth getting at the 6th spot or the 12th, as far as what we need. I think it would be worth it if we could get Irving. We would then have a franchise PG and we would only need a couple more pieces to make a title contender.

It will come down to what KOC and coach see when they bring them in to workout though. They obviously saw something in Hayward and were right about him.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    April 6, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Bugoff I would take 1. Rose, 2. Westbrook, 3. DWill, 4. Rondo, 5. CP3, 6. Felton, 7. Parker, 8. Lowry, 9. Nash, 10. Wall, 11. Conley 12. Augustine, 13. Holiday. I would also take Irving (in a heartbeat) or Knight over Harris right now--especially Irving. It may be stretch with Conley/Augustine/Holiday but they are all younger and will be better than Harris if they remain healthy. I left off a few other such as Kidd, Billops b/c of age,etc.

I like Felton but not sure Denver will give him up. They like Lawson but he's not better than Felton and they know it.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    April 6, 2011 10:46 p.m.

@Indy05--it would be bliss. We need a future #1. Irving, I believe, is the real deal. I wish he was a sophomore but oh well. He has so much talent and therefore is NBA ready.

I had my doubts about Hayward but after the last few games he has come into his own. There is no way that Kobe, Durant or Jackson make those comments unless this kid is for real... I am starting to like our future. We now need to look for our future PG and I still think we need a true #5. Jefferson is not the answer when we need to go big against Dallas, OK, Chicago, LA, etc....

I lived in Peoria for a short time...that was interesting.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 6, 2011 11:37 p.m.

Kakashi......There have been multiple games this year when the Jazz were down big that CJ went a a scoring bing and got them back in the game. No one else, except Millsap, has done that for the Jazz. CJ can carry the team on his back when he is knocking them down.

Now the downside is he can shoot you out of a game too..........

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    April 6, 2011 11:43 p.m.

I think Jimmer would be worth the gamble. You don't become the most famous college player of the year by being awful. He must be doing something right for the coach to revolve defense and offense around him.

I haven't seen him play that much, but this year's draft is just not good. The CBA will force out a lot of prospects.

I'm VERY excited for Golden State's draft pick next year. If the CBA keeps out players this year, imagine how many prospects will be in next year. We're probably going to go from the weakest draft in years to the strongest.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 6, 2011 11:53 p.m.

@Amgolfer

I am willing to give Harris time to learn the system and the players but my big worries are his poor FG percentage (He is not efficient) and he is not built to bulldoze thru picks.

Efficiency and the ability to set and run thru picks are a necessities in the system unless Corbin is going to replace much of the system.

The Jazz also need a PG who can hit a high percentage of 3s or the paint will pack as the clock runs down.

The other thing is his salary of 8-9 million. A lotto pick PG would be cheaper and maybe better for a few years.

Knight might be okay. If Jimmer can actually play PG in the NBA he has the build, the Bball IQ and the shooting. He may be adequate on D if he can move laterally. I think it would take 2 or more years for Jimmer to develop.

I do not see a DWill replacement in this draft. Irving is only 185 lbs. I suppose he could muscle up. Jimmer is 195. Knight is only 170. How good is Nolan Smith of Duke?

KOC might find a Dleaguer.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 7, 2011 12:09 a.m.

@CJ Miles

my point here is...Hayward didnt necessarily scored a lot to help us win...he facilitated the game...you won't see CJ make plays for others like Hayward did during that game...im not saying CJ cant score...Hayward's approach is just better in my opinion...since he gets his teammates involve...and that's playmaking...

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 7, 2011 12:13 a.m.

I would like to see the draft work out stats before making to bold of statement but I strongly suspect that Jimmer is big enough and tough enough to run thru screens. He got hit hard a lot and scored or passed anyway.

I also think he is very basketball smart. He can run a team. BYU had some talent but they for the most part were not great and Jimmer either had to score or he had to milk points out of the rest of the team.

I know he is faster and quicker than most think he is. He can put it into gear when he wants to. Most of the time he coasted to save energy as he knew he would log 40 minutes.

He has a very quick first step. I suspect he can move laterally much better than most say. The combine stats will tell.

I think Jimmer can develop into a very good PG but it will take at least 2 years. He like Korver will automatically stretch a defense just by being in the game.

I think Jimmer is a sleeper PG but needs time to develop.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    April 7, 2011 12:57 a.m.

@Bugoff

Getting another D-Will to pop up in the drafts is just not real. D-Will is the only one of his kind...top 3.

Irving's in the draft and he's very good, but Harrison Barnes might pull out so that means Jazz's pick gets worse. Walker and Knight won't cut it at the PG spot. Jazz do best with a pass first PG.

Trading up to get Irving would be ideal, but Jazz fooled Portland in getting D-Will and remember how mad Portland has been ever since? Looks like Minnesota will get Irving and they need a PG bad...so unless something crazy happens...Irving looks like he's out of KOC's hands

• Indy05 Peoria, AZ
    April 7, 2011 1:35 a.m.

@Anonigma

It all depends on how the lottery goes.

We have a lot more to give this year to trade up than we did when we got D-Will. We gave Portland #6, #27, and the next years first round. This year we could give #6, #12, and we have two first rounders for next year. It depends on how much KOC thinks Irving is worth.

Our best shot for trading up would be if Washington or Toronto got the number one since they already have solid PGs.

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    April 7, 2011 7:43 a.m.

brilliant, trade away all the assets to move up for a 'franchise' pt guard, and along the way treat harris like he's garbage, ignorance based on bias, i wake up to whining about dwill?? let's have a big circle and sing kumbaya and reminisence.

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 7, 2011 7:46 a.m.

kyrie Irving is to me the only pg worth using a lottery pick on ... as i always say you just cant use high picks on pg's unless they are just about sure thing all- stars and its my opinion that kyrie irving is potentially a cris paul.. and in this draft if we get the lucky ping pong bounce we haaaaave to take him... as far as Jonny Flynn I doubt its even a legit rumor for bell but I watched flynn alot in college and now in the nba and although he maybe hasnt blown anyone away (yet).. lets thing about how many pg's do in their first year or two ..I believe it was Bugoff who asked isnt he just another devin harris and other than the fact that they are both exceptionally quick it ends there... flynn is stronger, more athletic, finishes at the rim with both hands (dunking over bigs) lockdown defender, clutch,smart player , leader, and very very competitive....just needs to improve jump shot ..and become more of a distributor. i like his potential...this would be his rookie year had he stayed at syracuse and he got hurt this year.

• WYOREADER Gillette, WY
    April 7, 2011 8:17 a.m.

Last year on draft day I called it!! I knew the Jazz would choose Hayward! Way to go rookie! I knew you had it in you!

• Indy05 Peoria, AZ
    April 7, 2011 8:21 a.m.

@Jazzcop

First, no one is whining about D-will. We are talking about getting a PG that better fits the system in Utah. Harris is ok but doesn't look to pass enough which is something a PG should do. His career average is 5 assists a game - not that good. And his other numbers are just ok.

We have good players currently and we have assets. I don't think that we are going to pick up anyone at the 6th or 12th pick that is going to be an all-star. So why not use those and a pick for next year to get someone that everyone is saying will be an all-star?

Favors, Hayward, Jefferson, and Millsap all have all-star potential so if we could get one more we would have a solid starting line-up.

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 7, 2011 8:24 a.m.

Ive got to say with Gordon Hayward now showing us what he probably will be as a player in this L helps us tremendusly in the upcomming draft... Here's why ...Hayward can be facilitator/distributor/ball handler on offense for 1 we accually could draft jimmer if hes there at 12 and i guess im okay with that bc he is a dynamic player with a skillset that is rare and this draft is weeeaaaak..also we dont have to feel like we haaaave to get a sg now bc G.H. isnt just a sf he can also play sg...This also would alow us to take a chance on a player like Perry Jones... so think about that lineup (not saying all starters lineup but a exciting one).. pg jimmer ,sg Hayward 6'8, Perry Jones 6"11,Favors 6'10, Jefferson...Thats dynamic athletic... height advantages, shotblockers, defense, shooting, ... the future looks good and thats exactly why i wanted to trade dwill and have been saying it all year...

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 7, 2011 8:40 a.m.

@ Indy05 you cant just go get a all star at pg without giving up a ton just like we got for dwill ..why would we have traded him just to blow up our team and trade for another one.. and look at the teams who have been winning championships and guess what its not the teams with the best pg.. Devin Harris if he can get healthy and stay healthy coupled with a back point who is a very good distributor will just fine especially with gordon hayward being a facilitator...but hopefully we can get kyrie i think he is a once in a decade point guard.. and maybe we could trade up for him if cleveland could get him especially since teams like cleveland would want an extra pick..we would give them both our picks and we get theirs plus their second rounder and a player..just a thought not even sure i would so it but maybe depends on if/what player they would throw in...

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 9:05 a.m.

I love what Hayward is doing right now and I love his confidence and what seems to be quality leadership skills. I have been wondering who's going to step up and be the leader.

I think we have a few players who might be able to be that person. Harris is confident, has a great attitude and very well spoken. Big Al seemed to show signs of being that leader but he's never really been a winner and he seems to have come down off that cloud just a bit. Maybe it's cause we have a few other players stepping up and taking the weight off his shoulders. Millsap leads by example but he is not very vocal. Then you have Hayward. I think this kid might have all the skills. He is positive and has been a flat out winner at every level.

If Ty and the players start believing in him and trusting him, he could be that person. He is very talented, makes very smart decisions with the basketball, gets his teammates involved and simply creates plays and breaks down defenses. I love him.

• Indy05 Peoria, AZ
    April 7, 2011 9:13 a.m.

Jcrotty -

There is a difference between D-will and Irving. D-will was an all-star and Irving is projected to be an all-star. He hasn't proven himself at the NBA level yet, so we wouldn't have to give up nearly as much.

I don't think that he is a once in a decade PG, but no one knows for sure. He will be good which is why I think that trading a 6th pick and a 12th pick for a sure thing in a weak draft would be a great deal.

And Cleveland already has two picks in the top 8 so they probably wouldn't be willing to trade since it wouldn't really benefit them that much.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 9:38 a.m.

Draft:

Look, we cant give our second pick in this years draft to move up a bit just for Kyrie even if we end up around 5th or 6th pick. I think there are at least 4 quality point guards in this draft that will go in the top 15; Jimmer, Kyrie, Walker and Knight.

We also need another SG/SF. I would love to see us take either Williams, Vesely, Jones or Burks with our first pick and take a PG with our 2nd. If Jimmer is there with our 2nd pick, I think you have to take him. If we can sign Kirilenko for 5-7 Million we could be very deep next year. I think this draft is actually very good 1-15 and is deeper than many give it credit for. We can pick up some great talent with that second pick. Imagine next years team of:

PG: Harris/Fredette/Watson
    SG: Hayward/Miles/Bell
    SF: Kirilenko/Perry Jones
    PF: Favors/Millsap/Evans
    C: Jefferson/Okur/Fez

You pretty much have quality players at every position that could make up 2 starting lineups. That's a potential championship team in the near future. Go Jazz.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 10:00 a.m.

First, no one knows where the ping pong balls will bounce so it's kind of silly to start talking about trading picks and players to move up. Right now, all we know is that we will have 2 lotter picks. Remember the 2008 draft? Chicago had a 1.7% chance of getting the number 1 pick and they got it. Remember the Spurs when they got Duncan? You never know where the balls will drop. For all we know, we could end up 1 and 2 or 11 and 12. We just don't know yet. Some how, I feel that things will turn out better than we anticipate. The stars a aligning.

To Be Continued.....

• gazelle Murray, UT
    April 7, 2011 10:23 a.m.

JazzfanMontana that is such a good point I think. Lets wait and see...

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 10:23 a.m.

I feel like the stars are aligning.

Jazz started the season with zero picks in this years draft and were confidently heading into the playoffs. However, somehow things just didn't seem right and they were having to make huge comebacks on a nightly basis. All of a sudden all heck breaks loose and Deron hurts his wrist, becomes frustrated, the team starts loosing and Sloan quits. Deron gets blamed for the disaster and ends up being shipped off in a block buster trade. This gives us draft pick number 1 plus a lottery pick from last years draft in Favors and a future pick from Golden State.

Next, injuries strike and the season turns into a total disaster leading to pick number 2 otherwise lost to the T-Wolves had we made the playoffs. Because of the injuries, young players receive more playing time and our future starts to take shape. Hayward and Favors start gain confidence. Kirilenko's huge contract comes off the books and suddenly we have a strong core and huge assets. The stars are aligning, so don't be surprised if we end up with 2 top 8 picks. Go Jazz.

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 7, 2011 10:45 a.m.

@jazzfanMontana .... accually its not possible to end up at 11 and 12 dont you know how the draft works..??? the nets pick depending on the finishes could only drop 3 spots and thats the biggest iiiiiffffffff ever thus putting us at 9 or 10, and none of the top 3 worst records stay in the top 3 picks and then they are automatically at the 4th... so saying we pick 11th isnt even possible ..and to say that none of the 3 worst records get a top three pick even though combined they probably make up 80 somthing percent chance between the three of them to get the numer 1 pick alone..cant and wont and hasent ever happend .. in most drafts only one team sneaks into the top three and the rest is determined by worst records..

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 7, 2011 10:55 a.m.

@jazzfanmontana ... So tell me why we cant move up for kyrie again bc we cant give up the 12th pick

last 7 number 12 picks , 04 robert swift,05 yaroslav korolev,06 Hilton armstrong, 07 thadeus yound, 08 jason thompson, 09 gerald henderson,10 xavier henry

If we traded that pick we could have this for dwill... kyrie irving biggest cant miss in draft (future all -star and career could rival dwill)

Derrick Favors....devin harris ... 2012 first round pick...

just saying??? thats not bad ...

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 11:25 a.m.

Like I said before, we don't have a number 12 pick first of all. We have to wait for the balls to bounce and see what we end up with. Second, Jimmer could easily fall to 12th and he could be a star. If I had the opportunity to get Jimmer and Perry Jones or just Kyrie, I take Jimmer and Jones any day. Plus there is no guaranteed thing in the draft. Look at what happened with Portland when they took Greg Oden.

Let me ask you, does jcrotty25 stand for John Crotty Ex Jazz guard? Need I say more?

If you are a fan of John Crotty, your opinion can't be valued.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 7, 2011 12:05 p.m.

There isn't a clear cut number one player in this draft, in fact there are probably at least 3 if not more players that could go number one. That being said, I don't think there is a player worth giving up our two lottery picks to try to move up to get. Irving may be good but I don't think he is that good that I would give up two lottery picks to get him.
    Jimmer would be a good pick up if we could get him at 12/13, PJones, Vesely, TJones would be good picks at 6 or maybe even Jonas as a defensive minded, rebounding, shot blocking center.
    Coach Layden (Frank) thinks we need to get a big center to clog the middle.
    I was hopeful for Tomic last year but this year he doesn't seem to have progressed and I have my doubts that he would be able to have much of an impact. He isn't defensive minded, he isn't even that good of a rebounder, he looks to score and that's about it. Jonas is young and still too light but he has the right attitude etc.

• jcrotty25 Meridian, ID
    April 7, 2011 12:07 p.m.

@jazzfanmontana...my opinion isnt valued bc of my name lol ..is that all you can come up with .. come on man you dont even know how the lottery works maybe you should worry about that and not my name... perry jones is projected at number 5 and jimmer is projected at around 10th so how do you think you are going to get both those guys let alone even one of them lol.... and unless we sneak into the top 3 with our own pick how the heck do you figure we wont be 12... the only way we arent is if we get top 3 which is about a 2 percent chance or one of the teams behind us in the lottery somehow gets top three picks then we could slip back to 13th thats if our record dictates we dont pass anyone with a better or worse record of the non playoff teams before the season ends and with 3 games left the only thing that might happen is we end up with a better record then phoenix suns and they go 12th and we go 13th as long as neither of us get top 3

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 12:45 p.m.

jcrotty25: Wow...that was the longest run-on sentence I have ever heard. You seriously need some lessons in writing buddy.

You are right about me not knowing every draft rule. It's only because I spend my time learning real skills rather than looking up meaningless NBA lottery draft rules that rarely affect the Jazz. I didn't know every rule in the draft but we still don't know were we are going to be drafting so give it a rest. Look, great stars are always drafted later in the draft and early draft selections often fail. Look at the history. Lets let the balls fall and let KOC do his thing and see where we come out.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    April 7, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Wow--JazzFanMontana relax, please. No need to rip on someone's grammar. I type very quickly and don't add words to conserve space, etc. Stick with the Jazz and please stop the all the bashing.

Let's wait and see what happens with the draft. Irving would be a great pick up. If people think that Harris is the long-term answer they're crazy. He is not a first pass PG and his numbers show it--this isn't going to work with Jazz basketball. We don't need an all-star PG but someone who can lead and dish. Irving is not an all-star yet. I promised Jazzcop I would give Harris a chance but not long-term. Should DH turn into a spectacular floor general and "true" PG I will eat every word.

Our chances of getting Irving are slim but you never know. A lot of you have mentioned other great picks as well. Jones, Burks, Barnes, Vesley, etc. But plase not Kemba Walker. I like Jimmer a lot better and I feel he has great upside-maybe not an all-star but a great role player. Go Jazz and good luck.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 1:37 p.m.

@amgolfer. You're right, I shouldn't have typed that. I just couldn't hold my fingers back! I have been reading these posts for a while and respect much of what you have to say. I obviously don't feel the same about a few others. I think you understand.

Lets talk Jazz. I am not sure that DH is a great floor general either but he is a very nice player and definitely a score first PG. I still think we need him to be the starter next year but possibly not long term unless he changes his game slightly. He does not seem to have the court vision a true PG might have. Like many others have already stated, there are some nice PG's in this draft but you never know how they will convert to the NBA. I happened to check out some draft history today and found it very interesting how many top 10 picks fail. The other thing that is interesting is that there is always a late round star and sometimes several so as long as KOC does his homework, the Jazz will be fine. Go Jazz... and beat Portland.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 7, 2011 6:13 p.m.

@JazzFanMontana

im going to agree with you that there are uncertainties in the draft...but there are also sure things in the draft...Tim Duncan...Hakeem Olajuwon...Lebron James...Blake Griffin...if you are worrying about draft busts...it just means its poor talent evaluation on the part of the team...or the player just never lived up to his potential...like Olowakandi...Joe Smith...Kwame Brown...some hindered by Injuries...Sam Bowie(yes if he werent injury prone he would've had been decent not MJ level though)...Greg Oden...Oden has the potential...and showed glimpses of it when he played...double doubles and 2 blks...

@jcrotty25
    i agree with you with Kyrie Irving...i think he is a better CP3...although im wondering about health issues...i hope he isnt injury prone...although he is a cant miss player...i think its best to have two players than 1...it adds depth to the lineup...but if we scored on some good free agents...maybe we could move up...

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 6:33 p.m.

I really have not seen Kyrie play so I don't have a credible opinion on the subject but when comparing numbers, it seems that Knight has very similar numbers as Kyrie. Have you guys actually seen Kyrie play? What makes him so special? Do you guys think he is a guaranteed great pick? I have seen pretty much all the other high prospects just not Kyrie. I'm very impressed with Derrick Williams and I think he is a sure thing. What do you guys think?

• Indy05 Peoria, AZ
    April 7, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Draft -

I think that Kyrie would be great but unless the lottery goes our way or we give up all of our picks this year and some next year it won't happen.

If you look on draftexpress it has Jonas Valanciunas going #3. Apparently he has all the talent of Kanter but is taller, no health issues, and a great work ethic. Also he's 6'11" with a 7'6" wingspan. Other mock drafts have him going around 10 but apparently he has a lot of potential. He says the pick and roll is his specialty and doesn't play in the post much on offense so he wouldn't get in the way of Favors or Al. If he could fall to #6 then get Jimmer at the #12 that might not be bad.

Then get perimeter player in free agency.