Utah Utes basketball: Larry Krystkowiak bringing 'we' philosophy to Utah

Ute coach says he'll pour his 'heart and soul' into program

Comments

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    April 5, 2011 5:43 a.m.

It certainly lacks soul. And heart, and grit, and talent, and a whole lot of other things.

• Dyer Gary Bountiful, UT
    April 5, 2011 7:44 a.m.

I hope Utah now has a good coach. Now to get some good players-not washburn and the other flatfooted center. Clyburn needs some help from out of state. good luck mr k! Should be easier to get recruits now!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 5, 2011 8:32 a.m.

I'm excited about the real coach K. George Matthews has already reaffirmed his commitment to the Utes, along with Washburn and Foster. I'd love Clyburn and O'brien to stay as well, but I only want guys who want to be here.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    April 5, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Yeah, that "we" philosophy will make it easier to spread the blame around later...

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Hopefully he has more than soul to add to the equation. That would be like making cookies with nothing but flour and water.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:51 a.m.

After watching his video clips him coaching elsewhere on the news, I really look forward to his cursing and rantings at courtside. Another reason not to renew my season tickets.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:21 a.m.

I liked what I heard at the press conference, but words and philosophy don't win games. As was pointed out by some other news sources, Giacoletti and Boylen sounded good in their initial press conferences too. I'm more hopeful now than I was, but I'll reserve judgement until we see how the recruiting and play goes.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    April 5, 2011 12:37 p.m.

I hope the Utes can succeed in the PAC12, but their road is steep.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 5, 2011 2:06 p.m.

@Mormon Ute

I was actually more impressed by Krystco's press conference than I was by boylens. My 1st impression of that guy was that he was a psycopath. I thought Krystco aquited himself quite well and he may be the coach utah needs.

Conversely I thought chris hill came across as extremely disingenuous and a bit shell shocked by this entire episode. I think it was obvious that he had over estimated what he believed to be the prestige of the position and over reached in the coaches he pursued. The rejections seemed to take a toll on him personally to the point that he seemd to be over doing it at this press conference.

But the good thing is that none of that will matter one bit so long as Krystco wins games. Ultimately that is really all anyone cares about.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 5, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Hedgie/Chris B, can go to the bank on this and refocus from cougars to utes. Adios!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    April 5, 2011 3:02 p.m.

worf | 2:52 p.m. April 5, 2011
    haha, nice try but not a chance, they are closet Cougs.
    Although I am wondering how they will get along now that their hero Jimmer is gone.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    April 5, 2011 3:48 p.m.

gee whiz what ever happened to ( winning isnt everything ) and ( its not if you win or lose its how you play the game that counts ) lol !

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2011 4:40 p.m.

I guess we have to give him a chance, but there's a lot of typical coachspeak in this article.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:30 p.m.

Coach K will rescue the Utes and turn this thing around to have a winning record within the next ten years. Mark it down!

• nunya sacramento, ca
    April 6, 2011 1:55 p.m.

how bout maybe bringing the "WIN" philosophy.....it's obvious to me that his past indicates that he is not a winner. wow, kind of similar to your chao hire.