U.S. & World

Mormon missionaries robbed at gunpoint in Georgia

Comments

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 4, 2011 1:36 p.m.

You can't get much lower than this guy has. He obviously doesn't know much about LDS missionaries or he would know they don't carry much money.
    Really happy to hear the Sisters are OK.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    April 4, 2011 2:07 p.m.

This happens a lot, people see LDS missionaries nicely dressed and they automatically think these guys or girls got money. Nope just pass along cards and pamphlets maybe a BOM. Your told not to carry any cash, just the credit card the church gives you at the start of your mission.
    I maybe understand two Elders but two Sisters is really ridiculous. I dont most of the time agree with most byu fans but TJ is right on this one. Very low indeed. Look at the bright side Sisters, you will now always have a good story to tell your families. The Lord will always protect his servants.

• TXJason South Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 2:21 p.m.

I have a son currently serving in Brazil. He was robbed at gunpoint last year. He said it happens to almost every missionary that serves in certain parts of the mission. They are specifically taught not to carry anything of value. His watch was stolen. That was all he and his companion had of any value.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    April 4, 2011 2:21 p.m.

I'm kind of surprised this made news. I was held at knife-point several times on my mission and even held hostage for about 2 hours. I guess it is more rare to happen to Sisters. Glad to hear they're okay.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    April 4, 2011 2:23 p.m.

It would have been nice to identify these as "Sister Missionaries" in the title and early on in the (very short) story. I was quite shaken by the image of two male elders handing over their "purses".

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 4, 2011 2:37 p.m.

Hmmm...on my mission in South America we got robbed about once a month on average. Sometimes at gunpoint, usually at knifepoint. I guess this is bound to make news when it happens in the U.S.

• FarnsworthPMacGillicuddy Layton, UT
    April 4, 2011 2:41 p.m.

Obviously, this fellow was merely masquerading as a "person of interest". Glad the sister missionaries are OK. I personally know of a situation, wherein a man at knife point, two LDS Elders on the streets of D.C. Several witnesses told him to NOT rob the "ministers". As he fled the scene a half block away, he turned to see if the Elders were pursuing him, they weren't, he ran into traffic and was struck by a Metro bus. Thought that was fitting.(my younger brother was one of the Elders) After that, in that part of their Mission, no more street robberies of Elders occurred for several years.

• kiapolo Provo, MA
    April 4, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Uhhhh...the local newspaper report in the the Augusta Times mentions that a cigarette case was an item in the stolen purses...why is that not mentioned in this article? lol...

• gmak Spanish Fork, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:01 p.m.

I looked at the article, and the cigarette case was mentioned. But so was this comment: "The missionaries involved tell me that the vintage cigarette case was being used as a wallet."

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:23 p.m.

If you have served a mission you most likely have been robbed or something interesting has happened to you, its a way of life.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    April 4, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Nice dude, maybe you'll have time to read that book when they catch you...

while you're sitting in jail...

Then, when you get out, the Sisters will arrange your baptism, and you'll be clean from all your sins...

Something to look forward to...

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 4, 2011 3:55 p.m.

My mission president made us promise we wouldn't write home and tell our moms when we got robbed - he would get so inundated by phone calls from concerned parents that he couldn't do his job. I guess that cat's out of the bag with these sisters - their robbery is front-page news!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:07 p.m.

I am glad no one was hurt.

Sad this had to happen at all.

• mountain man Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:31 p.m.

What is this world coming to. At least there was nothing more serious that was done to this women.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    April 4, 2011 5:18 p.m.

I am so glad that these two sisters are ok!

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    April 4, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Time to let the missionaries have a conceal carry permit.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 4, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Hopefully where they can they pack heat. It's the utah way.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 4, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Dude, they would have GIVEN you the Book of Mormon!

• amst plano, tx
    April 4, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Missionaries both elders and sisters have had things like this occurring for years so why is that big a deal? It is good to know the sisters are ok though.

• Wynnsor Ogden, Utah
    April 4, 2011 10:41 p.m.

I will gladly pay for everything they lost.

• JP Chandler, AZ
    April 5, 2011 12:00 a.m.

Ohhhhhhh, SISTER missionaries! That makes a lot more sense. I really couldn't figure out the whole purse thing. I guess I should have read a bit more carefully. It reminds me of the old riddle: a kid who gets in a car wreck and is taken to a hospital where the doctor on duty says "I can't operate on this boy." "Why not?" they ask. The doc responds "Because he's my son." Who's the doctor?

As for the mugging, I've had a gun pulled on me before and it's no picnic. I'm glad no one was hurt and hope the sisters aren't too traumatized.

• common sense 11 Lehi, UT
    April 5, 2011 2:09 a.m.

Hope he reads the Book of Mormon he stole.

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    April 5, 2011 9:05 a.m.

My husband (6'0") served in Brazil and one time a teen (5'2") tried to rob him at knifepoint. He offered the teen what he had on his pocket and leave. The teen wanted the money he had at his apartment. He always wanted to be a police officer so I guess he thought that would be a good time to start practicing because he grab the kid by his collar, lift him and pull him against the walls so he could look at his face and said "you take this money and leave". We saw his companion 20+ years later and his companion still got all freaked out when remembering the story. I know it was very stupid to do it but oh well!

• Lia Sandy, UT
    April 5, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Gotta wonder about the wisdom if sending two gals out alone.

• BYUte06 Beverly Hills, CA
    April 5, 2011 9:22 a.m.

Wow..on the mission we frequently discussed disappointing outcomes of baptismal challenges, but this takes the cake!

Glad the missionaries are both ok - hope the rattled families at home are as well.

• BirdmanKen Fishers, IN
    April 5, 2011 9:48 a.m.

So I guess his response to the ever important question, "Will you be baptized?" is no (right?).

• SamBaUSA Sandy, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:42 a.m.

We get to take cell phones on a mission now? Cool! My son will be exicited to hear that.

• SamBaUSA Sandy, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:45 a.m.

@ Utes21 at 2:07pm "The Lord will always protect his servants."

Please google the words Mormon Missionary Killed and get back to us on the results.

• SisInTX Highland Village, TX
    April 5, 2011 11:29 a.m.

I don't think this story was very well written. It didn't say Sister Missionaries, it didn't say what Mission, and it didn't say their names or home towns (which they usually do, especially when they are adults- over 21). That would have been helpful. I also don't think the argument that it 'happens all the time' is appropriate. Although I think that the comment made about a Mission President counciling his Missionaries not to write home about every offense against them to save the anxiety of their families is an inspired decision for each Mission...I do think this incident was newsworthy in that it happened to Sisters. It's terrible that those innocents were accosted. I hope this inspires us to increase our faith and prayers for ALL of our Missionaries as they leave their homes and families to unselfishly go out to serve the Lord. And for the person who commited these crimes...he needs our pity and prayers as well.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    April 5, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Many years ago on my mission in NC a fellow tried the cut the buttons off my suit jacket. My companion broke his wrist. My adult children think that we should have been kinder.

This guy was lucky he wasn't decked with a 20 pound purse.

• bjak Knoxville, Tn
    April 5, 2011 12:33 p.m.

Dude - Maybe they just wanted their CTR rings.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2011 3:19 p.m.

I don't get how this is news, I went to Tijuana Mexico and getting held up for money was literally a weekly occurrence in the mission. I was never officially mugged, but there was a time that gang members, "cholos", with knives in their pants asked to see what was in my backpack, they looked disappointing when all they saw were books.

I'm no longer active in the church but I will admit that it's a miracle that so few missionaries get hurt. You could not pay me to walk down some of the streets I walked as a missionary.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 5, 2011 5:56 p.m.

byronbca

I served in Caracas Venezuela. There is NO WAY I'd go back now to some of the barrios I tracked in. Ironically, the time I got robbed, we were in the "safe" area. I had about $5 on me and a CTR ring. As he was robbing us, I introduced myself and explained that we were missionaries and even offered him some pamphlets. He politely declined. But he did apologize that he "had to" rob us. Even during it, I felt safe.

• NewsFeed Tooele, UT
    April 5, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Glad they're ok. They were lucky, protected or both.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    April 5, 2011 7:11 p.m.

I'm more concerned about the long-term consequences for this jamoke. Whether he is caught or not, he will one day have to answer for this.

• GaryHurst Marshall, TX
    April 6, 2011 7:15 a.m.

Perhaps the fact that Sister Missionaries were not mentioned is that the story was submitted buy the AP?

I am so happy that the sisters are OK!

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 9, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Well if your mission takes you to Bayone New Jersey... the going price for not getting the crap beat out of you is at least 20 bucks. I'd carry at least $30.00 for insurance just in case the next thug who will accaust you is in a bad mood. Tip: If any of you Elders have any misguided thoughts of fighting back...which I highly reccommend you don't... then at least carry two $5.00 rolls of dimes tightly wrapped in duct tape. If they aren't carrying clubs then they'll have something easy to hide. Brass knuckles are illegal and will add extra jail time if they're caught so they use other equalizers.