BYU football: Cougars to hold spring game

Comments

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 10:25 p.m.

I will get one chance to see the Cougars before my wife and I leave for the mission field.

Christmas in April!!!!

• -PSUYB- Scranton, Pennsylvania
    April 3, 2011 10:40 p.m.

I think this is a great choice by Bronco. It is rewarding for both the players and the fans to be able to watch their team perform in a spring game. It is probably the best way to track the improvements and also see where more work is needed. Although it is not a real game, it provides a game type situation for the players to show what they got! What a great opportunity! Hopefully there is a good showing at LES! If only the game was aired on ESPN, I would love to check out some of the new talent here in PA! Guess I will just have to wait until Sept. 3 to see my Cougs!

Also I watched the Texas spring game today. The Longhorns have a the new Offensive coordinator from Boise State running a pro-style offense, problem is the entire roster including the QB's are more suited for a spread. If that team does not see some vast improvements by Sept 10, I believe BYU will have a 2-0 start in 2011. An upset in Austin would be HUGE for the move to Independence.

Can't wait!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 3, 2011 10:56 p.m.

With the tough schedule BYU opens with, I think the scrimmage game is critical to really evaluate the talent, and the fans love the game. I think it was in the scrimmage game that Max Hall edged out Cooper for the starting spot, in spite of Cooper's injury. And I don't need ESPN for this one - I'd be happy if they broadcast it on BYUTV.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 3, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Any chance of getting it on KBYU?

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 12:19 a.m.

TV would be awesome! Tivo the spring game and watch it after doing yardwork!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:42 a.m.

Ugh, leaving town on Friday.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 4, 2011 8:13 a.m.

i'm sure ESPN will be covering it. It's been "reported" that bYu will earn over 2.2 million.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 4, 2011 8:39 a.m.

This is going to be a fun team to watch.

Jimmermania is moving on to the NBA...

get ready for

Heaps o' mania!

Soon to be appearing nationwide in true HD!

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Whether or not BYU earns anything for the spring game, they have enough to pay for a basketball coach others want.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    April 4, 2011 9:16 a.m.

One thing is for sure hedgy, the number of fans watching this spring game will out number the ute/usc game this fall....this we know to be true....

• OregonBlue Eugene, Oregon
    April 4, 2011 9:47 a.m.

Any way the spring game can be put on BYUTV? I don't get Utah tv where i live but i do get BYUTV.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 4, 2011 10:15 a.m.

It seems like a fun thing for the players too! The only down-side is now the sports writers have still fill the collegiate sections....

@SLCWatch

Congratulations on your mission call. I'll miss your comments. Where are you going?

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 11:56 a.m.

@Fresnogirl

This is our third together. We are going to Vancouver Canada Mission. Out last one was in Fukuoka Japan. The hard part is we never missed a game in 27 years and now I have to buy my season tickets and let my kids use them...rats...rats and double rats.

But I wouldn't miss the mission field for anything. It is so great to feel the spirit of the Elders and Sisters. We have seen lives edified and miracles all around us and we love the people we serve among. It is definitly something we love to share in our retirement years.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 4, 2011 12:29 p.m.

This will be are first won game in an unbeaten season. 15-0!!!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 4, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Nice, Ernest! Thanks for your comments!

Yes, BYU-TV, YouTube, anything! Just a little something for my addiction.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    April 4, 2011 1:36 p.m.

Nice reward for the players for the hard work they have put in. I hope the injury bug does not bite with any season impacting issues. Rise and shout people.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 4, 2011 1:51 p.m.

Its great to hear they are doing well enough to change Bronco's mind about a spring game. Me and Ernest T. think this means that they are way good now and will won all their games for sur.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Well, all the excitement hasn't taught you to spell, TJ, and it hasn't helped Ernie figure out the difference between "our" and "are". Must be U grads. I'll be at the spring game. It will be fun to watch.

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    April 4, 2011 6:09 p.m.

I'm not sure anyone is concerned with the Spring game in Provo this year. There's nothing on the line for the Cougars next year in football, no conference title and no BCS invite.

Well, I guess if BYU beats all those WAC teams, you could make the claim the Cougs are WAC champs.

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    April 4, 2011 6:13 p.m.

When I look around the country, I don't see anyone who can play with us! I can't believe how good we are!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    April 4, 2011 6:46 p.m.

Did you see that home game lineup? Not a winning season next year in the lot!

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:01 p.m.

Ah football in April, even if its only a spring game/glorified scrimmage its still a fun time for fans to get out and see the 2011 Cougars. Now if only I didnt have work this saturday I could go. Any chance this will be on BYUTV?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 5, 2011 9:36 a.m.

I don't know about this bronco....sounds like someone could get hurt.

• Waylon77 Logan, UT
    April 5, 2011 4:03 p.m.

RE. Real Bass

Well Idaho has had two consecutive winning seasons so they have a pretty good chance to be over .500 by the end of the season, and Utah will probably hit the .500 mark as well. As a USU fan I would like to predict a winning season for the Aggies but I've done so for the past two years and ended up eating crow so I will just remain hopeful that it might happen. Overall though BYU must have one of the easier home schedules in the country. One of the advantages/disadvantages of independence I suppose. Should make all those cougar fans happy/bored to watch all of the eminent big wins next season in LE stadium. Of course an easy win over an inferior opponent is still a lot better than losing a close game to a superior one.