BYU football: Drew Phillips searching for role at Y.

Comments

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 31, 2011 11:20 p.m.

The weather will improve. Phillips is exactly what BYU needs. Pure speed. He will be very useful in certain situations.

Hang in there Drew, develop a routine. That is something a mission teaches you. However, Bronco did not go on a mission so he understands what it is like to be a young talented football player.

Even if Phillips only makes a couple of plays a game and is a decoy on a few more he will have a big impact by opening things up.

BYU is quicker than most think but Phillips is a burner.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 11:21 p.m.

Drew is going to be a fun kid to watch in the coming years. He had some funny video's on the internet when he got recruited and his 400m state championship video is awesome. This kid has some wheels. He is legit speed. If he gets away from the first coverage he is going to burn people.
    I am glad he doesn't see a problem with fitting in to the lifestyle out here but obviously the coach is keeping eyes on his young speedster.
    I hope he can find a slot and adapt to the Y lifestyle. He seems to have weathered the redshirt year and is enjoying his time at the Y.
    Everyone had amazing things to say about his speed, resilience and his durability. The defense had a lot to say about how if they did knock him down (and they admitted that was tough to do) that he would just pop up and say "let's do that again."
    By the way, that is not a mis-print or mistake. Despite starting the year poorly and being 119th of 120...BYU did end the year 24th in total defense. Thanks to Mendenhall!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 11:25 p.m.

I forgot to mention that Joe Dupaix took the slot position at Navy and took it from being essentially a non contributor to the offense and made it the leading yardage position. With Drew in the slot other teams are going to have to put their fastest coverage on him or they will get burned.

• -PSUYB- Scranton, Pennsylvania
    March 31, 2011 11:26 p.m.

If any of you have the time, look up Drew Phillips senior highlight on youtube.
    My jaw was dropped the entire time. To be making those kind of plays and getting those kind of yards in Alabama 5A football is something really special.

This kid could definitely make some huge contributions in 2011, especially in the return game. It would be nice if Doman could get him in on some screen plays, sweeps, and maybe even some direct snaps. Even if he is just used for a change of pace in the offense I think he will be a huge playmaker.

This cougar offense for 2011 is sounding crazy good, I can't seem to find any position on the Offense lacking in talent, experience, or depth. With a QB that enormous potential, a quartet of RB's that range from speedy to brute, Tall, fast, athletic receivers, and a BIG veteran O-line, I think it is reasonable to look forward to a very good coming season.

I am really excited to see what Doman and Cahoon bring to this very talented offense.

Drew, thanks for choosing to be a Cougar! Keep working hard!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 31, 2011 11:31 p.m.

I'm excited for Phillips to make his debut this Fall. JJ DiLuigi is my favorite player but unfortunately he won't be around forever seeing as how this is his senior year. Drew may end up being my new favorite over the next few seasons. I kind of look at him as being the next JJ, a quick, athletic kid that actually brings good speed to the backfield. I'm also excited to see what kind of versatility he can bring to slot receiver and on special teams. Our kick returners are solid, but what BYU needs is a really good punt returner. I think Phillips could fit that well. If not him, then it would be good to see maybe Jordan Johnson or Kori Gaines if he can come back in the Fall. There are a lot of talented new athletes at BYU that make me excited to see what they can do.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 31, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Re: SLCWatch

Another ironic thing about the BYU defense is they finished ahead of the Utes in total defense at the end of the year. BYU should be vastly improved on both sides of the ball in 2011.

Go Cougs!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2011 12:13 a.m.

Cougar Claws:
    In deference to our friends and neighbors I try not to perpetuate the free for all mud slinging, one-up-manship or harrassment. I try to stay respectful and let my recommendations on the D-news and the "likes" on the Tribune reflect what I am trying to present as a sports fan.

Utah finished 27th overall and that is very respectable in the nation. They played many of the same teams and because both teams were one play away from winning their head to head match it's not worth demeaning one team over another.

I am a Utah Graduate. I am a 30 year season ticket holder at the Y. I know people at both institutions. I enjoy the college game because you see improvement from walkons, 2 star recruits, and neophyte coaches. You see a team come together and that is...wonderful.
    Enjoy!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2011 12:22 a.m.

Cougar Claws:
    Bye the way. I got to meet and talk to JJ Diluigi last fall at a Skyline game he came to with Matt Marshall. I found him to be a humble, delightful and extremely respectful person. He talked with my wife and was very respectful addressing her as Ma'am and answering her questions sincerely and graciously. He is a credit to BYU and incredibly pleasant. Most of these young men who play in the state of Utah are good, decent and respectable young men. I flew down to the UCLA game with Justin Sorenson before he came to the Y in the row behind us and he also displayed excellent manners, friendly conversation and is now a credit to his team at the Y. That's why I love college sports...there are some prima donna's but most are truly excellent young people that are fun to watch develop.

• Las Vegas Henderson, NV
    April 1, 2011 12:50 a.m.

I can't wait to watch Drew Play! I hope he and J.D. return kicks, and he gets at least 3-5 offensive touches a game (this first year) out of the slot position and in the back field! I read somewhere his nick name in high school was "Show Time" and would love to see him earn that nick name this season as a Cougar!

Drew thanks for choosing BYU, and you have fans all over the country who have never even see you play yet, but are excited to see you play! Keep working hard!

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    April 1, 2011 6:24 a.m.

I sure hope this kid makes it and becomes a contributor on the field. Seems like BYU has guys fall to the wayside every year due to academics, lifestyle, frustration with playing time - whatever. (This is no different than every other college program, BTW.)

Hang in there Drew and good things will happen. The cream always rises to the top!

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    April 1, 2011 7:22 a.m.

Love this kid, hope he works hard to earn his spot on the field.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 1, 2011 7:35 a.m.

Hmm, you would think a kid from Alabama with 4.3 speed would draw a few sniffs from a SEC team instead of the likes of Tennesse Martin, Central Michigan and of course BYU.

I'm quite confident that all the Southern BCS teams had the opportunity to take a good hard look at this kid.

Something just doesn't add up.

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2011 7:38 a.m.

Drew is going to be a very, very good player for BYU.

Look for some punts and kickoffs to be taken to the house this year, courtesy of Drew Phillips.

This isn't your typical BYU team anymore. They've got speed and athleticism to rival any team out there.

• BP Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2011 8:17 a.m.

BYU sounds good, but let's not get carried away. While they are getting faster and more athletic, they can't rival the speed, athleticism, and size of the kids playing in the SEC. Nobody rivals the SEC, because nobody else is able to pay their players as much (or able to get the NCAA to turn a blind eye as well).

With that in mind, BYU beating Ole Miss in Oxford would be a huge accomplishment.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    April 1, 2011 8:19 a.m.

This young man is awesome, watch his highlights. You have to understand the football fever and committment they play with down south. He seems to be a great find, and will be a contriutor and provide some excitement. Hope all works out for him.

Would like to get a kid like that at USU. We are getting there, some early finds hopefully a great year for the aggies.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Drews roll will be to be awesome and scoring tons of TDs. He will dominated and be one of the best ever before he even leaves.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    April 1, 2011 9:04 a.m.

I am absolutely no judge of skill and talent. But I just watched Drew's senior year 2009 highlights. It was fun! Several times he lowered his shoulder and drove into the defense, pushing forward another 5 yards. Numerous times he flat out left the defense in his wake! If there is a way let him contribute, I'd love to see what he can do at this level for the cougs. Good luck, Drew!

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:12 a.m.

@SLCWatch
    Thank you!

• satch Highland, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:17 a.m.

I hope this kid finds some playing time. I watched footage last year on him- and his speed and style reminded me of the way Marshall Faulk would find an opening and be gone. He has pull away speed.

Super fun to watch!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 1, 2011 9:23 a.m.

"Several times he lowered his shoulder and drove into the defense, pushing forward another 5 yards'

Granted I have no interest in looking at the kids vidio, but you have to question the talent of said defense if a 5'10 160lbs kid can push forward for 5 yards.

Like I said, If this kid from Alabama was the real deal he'd have offers from SEC teams. I wouldn't be suprised if he heads back to Tennesse Martin.

• vegassports Las Vegas, NV
    April 1, 2011 9:32 a.m.

we get your point hedge. your post was read. you don't have to repeat in another post. Or are you waiting for a response. You got one.
    If the player is not in red than you question the abilities. If you don't want to watch the kid's video, than don't post.

• Walter Bellhaven Las Vegas, Nevada
    April 1, 2011 9:36 a.m.

@HHog,

You're right, not a very impressive class.

Thanks.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 1, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I can see Drew getting some valuable experience this year behind McKay and JJ and being a starter next year in the slot or the running back who can get to the edge. Drew has some wheels.

McKay and Drew seem like perfect prototypes for BYU's slot position. And with Apo and Hoffman at WR drawing a lot of attention, there will be plenty of opportunities for the slot receiver to make some big plays.

I'm counting down the days to September 3.

• shorts Payson, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:43 a.m.

I hope he gets his grades in order and back in Bronco's good side I would love to see him in the slot. And it would be great for him to play at Mississippi. If he dosn't get a chance to play and all him friend and family are there I think it would be sad.

• shorts Payson, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:45 a.m.

RE: CougFaninTX dito September can't get here fast enough

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 1, 2011 9:47 a.m.

"Also recruited by: Florida State, Michigan, Alabama, Cincinnati, Illinois, Louisville, North Alabama, Stanford, SMU, Central Michigan, Utah and Wyoming."

Walter,

Can you sight your sources? Clearly not Rivals, ESPN or Scout.... maybe cougar board?

I'm with you that the kid was interested in the likes of alabama and FL. St....but the interest wasn't mutual.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:48 a.m.

@wedgie

Well we'll worry about who recruited our 5th string rb/slot receiver while you concern yourself with who recruited your pathetic starting qb. His list of schools after his services is a veritable list of who's who of small time programs and jr. colleges.

Of course the results he has produced show us why that is. But then he is the actual starter at utah while Phillips is a hopeful role player at BYU.

LOL

• Koke Spanish Fork, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:52 a.m.

I am consistently impressed by how well Bronco "gets it." Talent is a great contributor to success, but the internal game whether in sports or in life is the game you have to win in order to find your greatness. Drew has talent, no doubt. Like all of us, if he wants to become great, he must develop supreme internal strength and discipline.

I believe that the BYU coaches understand this and will help him to reach his potential. As a result, Drew will contribute to BYU football, but more importantly, he will leave BYU a complete man.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Any young man that is a decent Alabaman and a Christian is welcome at the Y. My ancestry comes from the great state of Alabama and Drew is right about the weather, hot and hotter with plenty of humidity. Good luck Drew with the academics and study hard to stay eligible. Speed doesn't help if you're sidelined by your study habits. I struggled my freshman year but after that I excelled and went on to graduate school. So, keep learning the system and stay healthy and one day we'll see "show time" running away from the defenders for another Touchdown.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 1, 2011 10:01 a.m.

Hedge; as usual your posts are dripping with jealousy and insecurity.
    I was 165 in high school and played full back. I was frequently able to lower my head and drive for 5+ more yards after the initial hit. It is High School!
    As for Drew; he will be frustrating U for the next 4 seasons. I predict BYU will go 4-0 against Ur team the next 4 years. Mark it down!
    Maybe one of the backs from Ur school can win a spot on the Y's scout team now that Drew is gone.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 1, 2011 10:06 a.m.

"your pathetic starting qb. His list of schools after his services is a veritable list of who's who of small time programs and jr. colleges."

Ducky,

Sounds like your lashing out and with that... making things up. Once again, I'll need you to sight your source(s). Rivals,ESPN and Scout don't list any jr. colleges? ( cougar board maybe?).

Truth is Wynn had commeted to Colorado (BCS) before Utah won him over.

Triva time:
    What conference is Tennessee Martin in...

Gulf South.....LOL!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 1, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Why is the word "sniff" so popular with Ute Trolls? I think they just cut and paste each other's comments.

This kid sounds great. I'm glad Coach Mendenhall changed his perspective on his red shirt year so he saw it as an opportunity to grow and develop. I thought it was interesting what he said about BYU being similar to what he knew and did at home because he is a Christian. Ty Detmer said the same thing when he first got to the Y. It's nice to see those similarities in the various denominations of the Christian faith.

Good luck on a great year Phillips. I'm looking forward to watching you play.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 1, 2011 10:09 a.m.

@wedgie

And remind us again of all the schools after the majority of utahs recruits? I see jordan wynn was recruited by san jose state, unlv and idaho. LOL

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 1, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Just watched his 2009 highlights. He looks bigger than he is. Man can this kid run. Smart and very fast! He played D back and threw some nice passes out of a wildcat.

Fresnogirl;
    the word sniff is popular with the trolls because everything they post smells of obsession, jealousy, insecurity and ignorance . The only thing you don't get a sniff of in their comments is class.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 1, 2011 10:58 a.m.

Whatever you pay attention to, you get more of.

Please, folks, pay attention to the positive comments. Ignore the trolls.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    April 1, 2011 11:02 a.m.

hedgehog

Why are you still trolling blogs of such a mediocre, small potatoes, independent? You would think that a fan of a "major conference" school would have better things to do.

Can't wait to see Phillips bust a big return against the mighty Utes!

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    April 1, 2011 11:05 a.m.

Hedgie etal. What are your sources, Rivals you pay to get into, so what.

The more the trolls attack someone, the better he must be. This kid has got to be good or they would ignore him altogether. Looking forward to seeing him get some reps.

• warnason Provo, UT
    April 1, 2011 11:15 a.m.

I am reading all these posts about who was recruited by what school and what conference they come from and that's not what it's all about. Granted, for the most part the best athletes go to the bigger schools, but we all know where the greatest reciever of all time went (mississippi valley state). Doesn't mean I'm comparing Phillips to Jerry Rice, but I am saying that any kid that had that much success in Alabama with 4.4 speed is worth taking a look at.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 1, 2011 11:24 a.m.

"I see jordan wynn was recruited by san jose state, unlv and idaho. LOL"

Ducky,

Again, I must ask for your sources.

Back to the point. I'm sensing BYU is and has been very desperate for speed. So much so that they've "reached" a bit with some Gulf South talent. But hey, mabye he is the next Jerry Rice.

• tracer Paradise, UT
    April 1, 2011 11:25 a.m.

Nice article on the kid...certainly holds in reserve any prospects of him having a profound impact on the team. I like the fact that the article reserves that reconition for performance on the field. I can only imagine that it must be frustrating to have been so prominent in H.S. while looking at only limited action at the college level. However, Hedgehog and Ernie Bass (who are kind of half-empty kind of guys) certainly do their part to stifle the aspirations of a young student-athlete. Should be another fun year for football in the state of Utah at all the major institutions.

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    April 1, 2011 11:49 a.m.

RE: hedgehog

"where are your sources?"

It took me 30 seconds to google "drew phillips recruit" which linked to Sand Mountain Report, the local paper for Boaz, AL. It said that Phillips "received scholarship offers from Wyoming, Idaho, SMU, Central Michigan, Louisiana Tech, Samford and Tennessee-Martin. Other schools who expressed interest in him were Illinois, Louisville, Birmingham-Southern, Jacksonville State, Memphis, Central Florida, Mississippi State, Florida State, Stanford, North Alabama, UAB, Troy, Utah and The Citadel."

It took another 30 seconds to google Jordan Wynn. Rivals website quotes Wynn himself saying that "I ended up with scholarship offers from several schools: Colorado, Colorado State, Iowa State, Utah, New Mexico, and San Diego State. There were various schools that were very close to offering, but I made my decision and am very confident with it."

Who had more interest and the better offers? Wynn, of course, he was a much higher profile recruit. Who can actually look up sources for discussion board material?...

I'm looking forward to seeing what Phillips can do. He's fast and is a great 4th or 5th option for the offense. Go Cougs!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    April 1, 2011 12:12 p.m.

The LA Angels' center fielder Peter Bourjos was called "The fastest white guy I've ever seen" by Tory Hunter. Bourjos' nickname should be "Dash". All-Star center fielder Tory Hunter moved over to right field to make room for Bourjos in center. With Veron Wells in left, the Angels probably have the best outfield in baseball. Bourjos is jaw-dropping fast on the base paths, too. A deep drive to the wall will see Bourjos at third. He can beat almost any throw. And he can hit, too. He might be a game-changer.

The addition of a real burner with skills can make a huge difference in a lot of ways. I'd like to see Drew Phillips in the slot and see what he can do. End arounds? Going long? Can he stay in school? Lots of questions, but if he's as fast as people say he is, and if he has the skills, he could be a game-changer, too.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2011 12:24 p.m.

hedgehog | 9:23 a.m. April 1, 2011

Do you remember that few people had an interest in Eric Weddel or Jimmer Fredette? Or was your comment just an April Fool's joke?

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    April 1, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Blue husky:

It's a small thing but his name is spelled Torii Hunter.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 1, 2011 5:20 p.m.

I went to You Tube and watched Phillips, Quezada, Shaky Smithson and Gayle Sayers.

Phillips reminds me of Sayers. He flows. He has moves and timing. He can hit and catch. He is also fast. One of the top 3 or 4 fastest HS runners in AL for 2009.

Quezada looks like a football player and a good one.

Phillips makes Shaky Smithson look slow.

Sorry Utes.

Hit the books kid. You may be undersized by you can play.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    April 1, 2011 5:28 p.m.

The SEC would have been all over this kid if he is as good as he is pro-ported to be. I agree with Hedegie ( Wow I almost threw up in my mouth ) noway they let an all star, blue chipper out from under there collective thumbs. I for see home sick country boy heading back down south, but then again miracles do happen look at Jimmer he was over looked and passed over, so maybe he grows up and becomes an all american.

I guess he could ask James Lark, Riley Nelson and Munn's he will find out that being a return missionary gets you a 2ND, 3rd and 4th string position. Thats right if you serve then be prepared to not be a starter, but at least you are paraded out at fire sides.

Gotta keep up the impressions and the church school facade.

Really, come on BYU you gotta walk the walk and talk the talk either you are "different" or you are like all schools that need blue chippers. Gotta pick one or the other. No fence sitting !

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 1, 2011 5:41 p.m.

@Big Hapa

The SEC has the same kind of speed but with more size. Phillips will fit in fine in BYU's offense. You can't teach the speed or the timing. It is just there.

On the mission, I am not even sure he is LDS. It sounded like he might be non denom or Baptist based on his comments about BYU standards and adjusting to BYU.

Why the bitterness on the mission?

There are a lot of BYU players who served and came back to start and eventually go to the NFL.

Not all the BYU athletes are going to go on a mission. Each situation is different. If you can't serve a mission you can help in other ways.

If BYU wins on national TV it is serving well.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    April 1, 2011 6:42 p.m.

Wow I watched the You Tube moves and this kid he is tremendous. The videos show off his slippery and shifty moves he has the skills.

Regarding the mission question, the school is known for being " Different " and what makes the school and the sport's programs different, when you break it all down, it is the 19 year old obedient man that hears the word of the Lord from his Prophet and listens and obey's, not that he fully comprehends the decision to serve but he goes faithfully. He puts the world on hold for 2 years and looses himself in the work.

It makes me wonder about the message Heaps and others who have no desire to serve have when they a paraded out in fire sides ? Is it packed full of made up platitudes, or real faith promoting statements ? I wonder, do say " Hey when you are blue chip player god will look the other way.

You are correct, Drew is not a member, but what is the message sent from those who are members who do not fallow there Prophets call ?

Walk and talk gotta match-up ?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 1, 2011 6:57 p.m.

Big Hapa Phillips isn't even a Mormon. Read the article before going of on a tangent or even worse actually thinkng you agree with wedgie about something. Just the fact he posts tells you he is wrong.

• MyCoug2011 Boaz, AL
    April 1, 2011 7:39 p.m.

It's amazing how some are fans of a kid they've never seen play while others seem to try & discredit everything about him.
    #1 - Rivals, Scout, ESPN, etc - they evaluate players based on combines, camps, coaches, etc. If a recruit doesn't attend these or have anything submitted for evaluation there's nothing compared to a recruit who attends several & gets their name out. At Michigan..Rivals was following a recruit but when they left they knew who Drew was...Michigan's RB Smokehouse Challenge Champion. Michigan didn't need Drew ..they had a RB/QB in Robinson. Oh and it's funny they came to the MWC for U of M background..Coach Hoke!!!
    #2 - SEC teams did offer but Drew along with his family chose what was in his best interest. Here in SEC country they recruit "smashmouth" RB's which is what Drew is not, plus how many SEC RB's are Drew's ethnicity? He is not LDS but wanted to be a part of something special so BYU was the fit for him.
    #3 - Yes he ran a 4.3, was State Champion in the 400m & 4x400 relay, is 6' and weighs 178.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 1, 2011 8:28 p.m.

MyCoug2011,

What SEC team offer him a scholarship? can you provide a source?

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 1, 2011 9:36 p.m.

hedgehog

Since we're speaking of sources, who is the mysterious source you and Chris B. keep referring to when speaking of an alleged dinner between Rose and Hill? And give me an actual person who would be in a position to know, not just a rumor-mongering blogger.

• MyCoug2011 Boaz, AL
    April 1, 2011 10:09 p.m.

hedgehog

Tennessee, Miss St. and Alabama with Alabama coming back later saying he would have to gray shirt for the first semester per his high school coach. Auburn invited him down but previous engagement prevented him from going. Once he committed to BYU before his Senior year school backed off. The family was told had he not committed so early he would have had more offers especially after his record breaking Senior year.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    April 1, 2011 11:55 p.m.

Gotta love the comic routines of some of your comments. It will be truly interesting to see what he does.

Just because some of the self-annointed schools did not seek him out does not mean he does not have talent. Let us judge him on performance, not what many of the couch potato QB's and self-appointed coaches determine his fate.

Drew get your grades up, because without good grades you ain't playing at all, regardless of how fast you are or how shifty you are.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    April 2, 2011 1:53 a.m.

I know that Drew is not LDS, I stated that in the blog. What I did say is what do players like Drew think when you are attending a school that talks of Prophets speaking the word of God and sees the walking away from that word when you are a starting QB, RB etc.

That is my point talking the talk and walking the walk must be the same or you simply loose credibility. Remember what does it profit a man if he gains the world but looses his soul.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 2, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Mycoug,

A lot of words but nowhere did I see the words "offer" and "SEC" in the same sentance.

Again, Phillips recieved offers from

Tennesse-Martin
    Central Michigan
    Wyoming
    BYU

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 2, 2011 8:36 a.m.

Big Hapa

I have no doubt that Drew, like some others of us should, doesn't spend his time judging others. I'm sure he realizes personal decisions are just that and judges people based on their behavior towards others rather than whether or not they live up to the expectations of people that don't even know them.

• MyCoug2011 Boaz, AL
    April 2, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Hedgehog

You don't see it in writing because it wasn't published. He was also offered by Samford, SMU, Jacksonville State but evidently you are seeing something that doesn't include them either. Let me guess you are reading something on Rivals or Scout? If that is the case FYI they never followed Drew and never updated anything on him. Do you have a specific problem with Drew or something? You don't see anything about all the teams who showed interest in him either. You definitely aren't his parent so therefore do not know what all transpired with his recruiting process.

Drew does not judge people on expectations as most people can't live up to them. Drew also knows it is not our job nor duty to judge others as we are to love each other as God loves us. Personal decisions right or wrong have an outcome. It is how you react to the outcome that makes us or breaks us and defines who we are.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    April 2, 2011 5:12 p.m.

Duck hunter

I do not expect anything from anyone, people are free to do whatever they choose. I am confident that we all, including myself, man up one day it is inevitable.

Our credibility, integrity and self confidence grow from our lessons learned in life. That's it, no more no less we choose and live with the consequences of those choices, nothing unusual or profound here just mere consequences, that's it.

I think Drew made the correct choice to be a Cougar, after watching the You tube clip's he is the slippery, shifty complement to the "O" when DiLuiggi is out. I am excited to see him run back punts & kick off returns.

Anyway, Rise and shout Duckhunter

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 2, 2011 11:47 p.m.

MyCoug2011, thank you so much for your comment. People can be really insensative sometimes, and it is frustrating. This is one Cougar fan who donates a lot of money to the program and feels it a pleasure to have Drew in the program. What an honor to have him associated with BYU.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 3, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Hedge, why don't you put 2 and 2 together and figure out that MyCoug2011 knows what they are talking about because they are much closer to the situation than you could ever be. Ann Arbor is a long way from Boaz, Alabama.

• Politicallyminded Spanish Fork, UT
    April 4, 2011 2:30 p.m.

Hedgehog...Although I often laugh at your posts, as they can be quite entertaining, I would greatly appreciate it if you would consult a dictionary before posting. You "cite" a source, are "desparate" for a quick runningback, and need to be "committed" to your own boards, not ours. In the end, BYU will have a far better football season next year in comparison with Utah. It will feel like basketball season for you all over again.