Dick Harmon: Donny Osmond visits BYU spring practice, Jake Heaps

Comments

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    March 29, 2011 9:43 p.m.

The Utes may have had Ted Miller visit (because that's what he gets paid to do,) but BYU got Donny Osmond! ;)

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    March 29, 2011 10:13 p.m.

I have no idea who Ted Miller is; but I know Donny Osmond, Jimmer and Jake Heaps!!

Kinda cool and the fact Osmond kept it short shows a lot of class. It sounds as if Heaps got some great advice as his own jimmermania is on its way.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    March 29, 2011 10:47 p.m.

We must truly be in the "taint no sports" season. Tomorrow maybe the DN can report what Heaps has for breakfast. Or maybe he can have brunch with Jimmer and make it a cover story.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    March 29, 2011 10:51 p.m.

I would rather meet Marie face to face!!!

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    March 29, 2011 11:18 p.m.

Just a prelude to star treatment for having all games nationally aired. Jimmer-like attention will be "heaped" upon Jake.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 29, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Even the stars come out for BYU football practices.

• karenella Provo, UT
    March 29, 2011 11:42 p.m.

Well, THAT was random.

• urroner Titusville, fl
    March 30, 2011 5:58 a.m.

I love Donny.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    March 30, 2011 6:05 a.m.

Will there be a press conference?

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    March 30, 2011 7:15 a.m.

Cute human interest story!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 30, 2011 7:21 a.m.

At a National level I can't begin to tell you what a joke this is.

LOL!!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    March 30, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Honor Code: I'm with you, but my wife still has a teeny bopper crush on Donny & had me read the whole article to her.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    March 30, 2011 7:51 a.m.

@ Go Big Blue!!! The DN could always start reporting on a real sports success story - The Los Angeles Lakers.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 30, 2011 7:52 a.m.

Donny Osmond, QB coach. That is a winning combination.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    March 30, 2011 8:31 a.m.

all I can do is laugh why was this article even written ? LOL !

• TizTheSeason logan, utah
    March 30, 2011 8:31 a.m.

Maybe he was recruiting Heaps for a future with "Dancing with the Stars".

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 30, 2011 8:32 a.m.

Is Donny helping out Domain? Couldn't hurt I guess.

• myjazz Ogden, UT
    March 30, 2011 8:44 a.m.

I think that is awesome that Donny would take the time to visit a BYU practice. He makes tons of money for his appearances, but he has always stayed loyal to BYU. By the way Hegelog why would you even bother to read this article if it was a joke to you??? You seem to catch every article about BYU. I never even bother to read the articles about the U.

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    March 30, 2011 8:45 a.m.

My wife's mom used to babysit the Osmond kids in Ogden (late 50's I think), they lived somewhere around 6th and Adams. She said the kids were all great but the dad was a bit overbearing -- that they could hear them practicing at 10:00 p.m. sometimes.

I guess if my Dad was more overbearing, I'd have made something more out of my life than I did.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 30, 2011 9:12 a.m.

farid,

Thanks for sharing..

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:12 a.m.

"You're playing like Betty White out there" " That's not what your girlfriend said"

Love it. Go Cougs!

• UU702 Layton, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:17 a.m.

I would love to make a dig but I can't stop laughing!

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:20 a.m.

I knew this artcle would bring out the complainers, but I thought it was a great article.
    Donny impresses me with all that he's done, and he still seems like such a nice, grounded guy. I love hearing about his family.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    March 30, 2011 9:24 a.m.

How is this in any way cool? BYU's quarterback watches Dancing With The Stars. They're doomed!

• cactusflats American Fork, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:33 a.m.

I don't understand why David Archuleta hasn't visited the Cougar practice yet. Where is the reporting on that?

• Flame of the West The OC, CA
    March 30, 2011 9:35 a.m.

Heaps is probably alittle bit rock n roll...

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 30, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Well we get a similar article everytime Alex Smith visits a utah practice and he has had about as much qb success professionally as Donny has had.

• Clovis Fan Clovis, CA
    March 30, 2011 10:26 a.m.

I thought the article was great and of great interest to cougar fans. Nice to know Jake Heaps is well rounded and appreciates things like Dancing with the Stars. I love Donny and Marie and the way they represent all of us.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    March 30, 2011 10:28 a.m.

Very Funny. This reminds me of the stories of Will Farrell going to USC football practices. It shows that Donny Osmond is truly a nice person and is a good example of how someone can stay grounded while also having fame and fortune.

I am glad this happened in spring practice. In the fall, I expect everyone to be frothing at the mouth.

To commemorate this wonderful story, I am going to sit on my piano later this evening (or jump through it...I will decide later) ala 1978 Donny and Marie.

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 30, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Independent

"How is this in any way cool?"

Frankly, it's much more cool and interesting reading about a true celebrity visiting a BYU practice, than reading about an ESPN beat writer visiting a Utah practice.

There have been some big name athletes who've done quite well on "Dancing with the Stars", or so we've been told here at SportsCenter. It's nice to see Jake is well-rounded enough to realize that there's a world outside of football.

• Juggernaut Cedar Hills, UT
    March 30, 2011 10:52 a.m.

I usually don't interject on these comment boards too much but this time I had no choice considering the nature of the comments and the personal issues (Farid) that are surfacing as well. Geez, maybe that kid from the movie the singles ward will come to my team's football practice. That means we have arrived!!! To those that are proclaiming national prominence, relax, Donny is a nice guy and he just visited football a practice.

• Carson Provo, UT
    March 30, 2011 11:09 a.m.

This proves that the church is true!

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    March 30, 2011 11:24 a.m.

Juggernaut

You sound a little jealous. I didn't see any BYU fans saying this is a sign that "we've arrived". To the contrary, BYU fans saw it as a fun little sidebar story.

Not sure why the Utah trolls are getting bent out of shape and trying to poke fun at what was obviously nothing more than a brief moment of frivolity during an otherwise very intense practice.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    March 30, 2011 12:07 p.m.

wow Hedgie, 3 comments in a two-hour time span. Bored much?

Your first comment about this story being a joke at a national level is what brings my response. It's not a national story, nor will it ever be. It was just a Utah County/BYU interest story that some find fun, and others find corny (I tend to lean toward the latter). However, your three comments show that it definitely drew your attention. Was it because of Heaps or because of Donny?

• huggyface Murray, UT
    March 30, 2011 12:11 p.m.

If you want a good laugh search youtube for the white and nerdy song by wierd al. find the version with Donny Osmond dancing in the background.

It's the only reason I (mostly) like donny.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    March 30, 2011 12:32 p.m.

So funny for all the Osmond/BYU/DN bashers, from out of state no less, to read the article, express how "irrelvent" and boring it is, to them.
    Yet they take the time to click on to the DN, read the articles, then try to convince everyone how unimpressed they are.
    Sad angry little people.
    To me it's so refreshing to see good examples of lives well lived, having a positive influence on others who will likely have opportunities to do the same.
    I guess Charlie Sheen is just more interesting to some.

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    March 30, 2011 12:38 p.m.

Hey hedgehog from Ann Arbor, in response to your "national level/joke" comment, I've got two words: Appalachian State.

Go Cougars!

• Murray Dad Murray, UT
    March 30, 2011 12:45 p.m.

Sweet - Jake knows that Donny is a gunslinga' with mad skills. Maybe TJ can throw down his latest mix....

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    March 30, 2011 12:56 p.m.

I'd rather be at U of Kentucky and get visits from Ashley Judd.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    March 30, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Talk about the most useless article ever...

RaininTime, football season is 6 months away, and last I remembered, BYU barely made it about a .5 record. Jake Hypes is indeed, a hype.

Go Big Blue!!!, haha... I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, especially if the article was written by Dick.

• Z2010 Brigham City, UT
    March 30, 2011 1:46 p.m.

Hmmm... not sure why the excitement for a male dancer visiting football practice. Now if it was Marie... Did anyone see the low cut dress she was wearing for Oprah?

• newwest Ferron, UT
    March 30, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Don't be jealous, Hedgie. If Donnie was a parole officer rather than a singer, he'd be visiting the Utes practice.

• LoveMySports Syracuse, UT
    March 30, 2011 2:20 p.m.

I hate to admit it, but it sounds like Donny can catch better than the BYU receivers did the first half of last season.

• Rainman Syracuse, UT
    March 30, 2011 2:29 p.m.

@ Z2010 - You should see Marie in person...kind of hot.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    March 30, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Having Donny Osmond visit is like bragging about kissing your sister.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    March 30, 2011 3:15 p.m.

"It's nice to see Jake is well-rounded enough to realize that there's a world outside of football."

I know, it's just FABULOUS!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 30, 2011 3:39 p.m.

@LoveMySports--

That was a good one! LOL!

Some of the comments are just a corny as the article itself.
    Oh well, it caught my eye, and I read it. And that is what it's all about as a journalist. Dick got all you guys and girls to read it. So who is the bigger fool?

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    March 30, 2011 3:47 p.m.

The light bulb came on this morning. Here is the biggest difference between BYU and Utah. A simple story about Jake Heaps meeting Donny Osmond generates dozens of comments within a few hours. Most of the other stories about BYU are similar. Yet, if you take the time to go to the Utah section of the DN, there is only one story about the construction of a new football facility that even approaches the number of comments that BYU articles generate daily.

Regardless of the better conference (I'll readily admit the PAC12 is way better than the WCC overall), BCS trophies, etc etc, BYU will always generate more attention and enthusiasm across the country than Utah ever will.

This is why they hate us so much, no matter what they do, BYU still has most of the spotlight, and the jealousy drives them mad.

Interesting thought, no?

p.s. Ute fans, I do wish BYU had two BCS trophies in their case, I'll admit that.

• Danish American Payson, UT
    March 30, 2011 3:59 p.m.

Ute fans, I do wish BYU had two BCS trophies in their case, I'll admit that.

You also have to admit that BYU has one more National Championship Trophy than Utah has. I know, lots of Ute fans disparage that--but guess what? It was earned under the rules of the day and lots of teams would like to have one even if it was pre_BCS.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 30, 2011 4:03 p.m.

It was a fun, lighthearted article. I would've paid money to see the expression on Mendenhall's face when Donny asked him for a job. That's hilarious!

Yes, I realize the trolls are out and think that this somehow this validates their negativity toward everything BYU, but that's just silly. We can look forward to many more months of these "human-interest" stories while we await football games to start again. Take them for what they are.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    March 30, 2011 4:23 p.m.

idablu, take a step back and look at the website... Utah only gets articles from these sports columnists for big events and are usually taken light heartedly, BYU on the other hand gets an article when Heaps talks to some guy.

You have to admit, if you want U of U articles, DNews is not the place to go, and even the readers are more BYU fans, seams kinda one sided if you ask me.

Regardless, we still have 6 months to wait.. let's be patient, it will be a great season for everyone! Utes start their grand debut in the Pac, and BYU starts their season in Independance with Notre Dame and... wait, who else is in there? I thought there were a few but nobody knows about them anymore...

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    March 30, 2011 5:17 p.m.

Hedgie: Are there any papers or articles in Michigan, oh ya you have Detroit, the wolverines, spartans and lions. I am sure the press is depressing and limited. Too bad, you could have something to say I would like to know about.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    March 30, 2011 5:31 p.m.

@ Danish, excellent point, thanks for the very pleasant reminder

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 30, 2011 5:56 p.m.

@ Clovis Fan

Hey Neighbor. I liked your comment. Well stated.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 30, 2011 8:08 p.m.

Aggieblue, having lived in the "downriver" MI area, I can tell you the sports radio/news there is very good. There are sports outside of Logan and St. George, you know.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    March 30, 2011 8:34 p.m.

So let me get this straight, its only a spring practice and yet BYU attracted a celebrity to attend the practice, pretty cool story. I guess even the celebrity's take an interest in BYU, course when you have players like Fredette and Heaps, its understandable. Oh the national exposure BYU is gonna get now that they have ESPN on their side, im really liking this independence move and BYU has barely even dipped into it.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:27 p.m.

@Carson

Very funny...

And when you're living right Magic Happens..

That will get them riled up at the little Red schoolhouse on the Hill

• Just Me SLC, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:59 p.m.

Nothing says "Don't hit the QB" like a green practice jersey and purple socks!!!

I heard Donny showed up cuz he there was going to be a new Mormon Band.....

"Band of Brothers".....he actually thought it was a reunion tour with his family!!!

Truth be told he was disappointed to find Jake Heaps was "a little bit country"

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    March 31, 2011 1:21 a.m.

Dick, this is NEWS????, or even a decent report from practice????? If you want to get into the Mormon celeb business start your own teen mag, but PLEEEEEAAAAAASE there has to be more going on at practice than a 60's pop star's visit. Put your Osmonds 45's back in the dusty covers and DO FOOTBALL.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    March 31, 2011 6:37 a.m.

Now if we could get David Archuletta to pump up the linebackers and the kid from Napoleon Dynamite to sit in on coaching strategy meetings the college football world would really perk up and take notice. BTW--for all of you who so casually toss around the word "fame"--let's get one thing straight. Donny Osmond is famous because he was once a teeny bopper idol. He has made no music that has stood the test of time in any meaningful way. If it's meaningful for you--you might just still be a teeny bopper. He is famous in the way Danny Bonaduce is still famous. Let's not make too much of that. As long as we see that for what it is, this is seen as a state with nice people with a sense of humor, rather than the biggest bunch of nimrods west of the Missouri.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    March 31, 2011 8:02 a.m.

It has just been announced that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir 2011 summer tour will now include a stop and concert in Jake Heaps' hometown of Issaquah, Washington. Any chance the concert will be televised on ESPN or BYU TV? Gosh, I certainly hope so. I get tired of those summer reruns.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 31, 2011 9:32 a.m.

Dutchman

OK. That was funny!

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 31, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Yawn! This is sports news...or more appropriate on Entertainment Tonight??

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 31, 2011 5:54 p.m.

jjjheimerschmidt... great comment about Ashley Judd and U of K!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    April 1, 2011 12:57 a.m.

I wish Donny would come watch my Utes....