Utah Jazz falter late against Mavericks

Comments

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 26, 2011 10:06 p.m.

Wow, what can a person say...probably nothing; it's getting to the point of asking myself "why am I even wasting my time posting?" Love the Jazz to just clearly frustrated..

We played decent for three quarters (good thing they were also off in the 3rd) and then comes the 4th. Oh boy-- We managed 30 pts in the second half. I still can't believe they beat us by 17 pts on our home floor; I don't care if they're a great team in the West. We hung with them for 3 stinkin quarters. I left for what seemed to be like 2 seconds and came back to that??? Absolute nonsense. Our top rebounder had 7 (most of the game Price led with 5). I'm in a stupor of thought right now. Good grief......

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    March 26, 2011 10:13 p.m.

Corbin needs to go. I'm officially starting the Hire Jeff Van Gundy Campaign tonight!

Also, would someone tell Corbin that a smart coach, Gregg Popovich/Phil Jackson, plays their best center at PF. What do you have to lose Corbin, aside from your lottery protected draft pick, by starting Fes at C ?

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Wow, the jazz lose again?.. What does Andrew Aragon have to say about this?

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    March 26, 2011 10:44 p.m.

Ronnie Price showed today why he's still here and I hope he stays. Corbin should try the Pri-son lineup again with Earl and Ronnie. It seemed like he was the only one who actually tried when they were 11 down....bleh, this team really needs a 4th quarter player like Williams was.

• NYJazzFan East Elmhurst, NY
    March 26, 2011 11:45 p.m.

Well Jazz Nation you got what you wanted, when Jerry (im not a quitter but I quit) was here half you guys wanted him out.. then you wanted Williams out.. so now you got what you want.. a terrible team with a terrible GM and a small - isolated - market means a terrible team for years to come.... sad times Jazz fans..

• NYJazzFan East Elmhurst, NY
    March 26, 2011 11:51 p.m.

Oh and Kris Humphries is averaging a double double..

• chiefbrady Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2011 12:11 a.m.

One more step closer to the lottery. But great effort Price! Wish more players had your heart.

• Draft dumbie Farmington, UT
    March 27, 2011 12:53 a.m.

I watched the Jazz and Mavs play tough, physical defense through 3 quarters and 5 minutes of the game--without a lot of calls for the most part, even though Dirk Nowitzki got "phantom" foul calls as usual on about every third shot (typical NBA "star" treatment refereeing).

I stopped watching for a few minutes to put my kids to bed, with the Jazz leading 70 to 68--when I came back, the Jazz were down 94 to 77, just as the game ended. I stayed up watching some other things on TV, and switched back over to the Jazz game replay right when the Jazz went up 70 to 68--I was curious to see what happened.

I noticed the teams played about the same the last 7 minutes, but the Jazz had a lot of turnovers (resulting in Dallas fastbreak baskets) while the Mavs got a lot of foul shots. The only real difference during that time was a subtle change in refereeing. When contact by Dallas caused a missed shot, turnover, or lost rebound there was a "no call." When the Jazz made contact, it was a foul--even on offense. How can the Jazz overcome that?

• fan29 Orem, UT
    March 27, 2011 1:04 a.m.

Nice move management. Not a go to guy on the team!! When you give away your All Star, it can take years to get another one again. Enjoy your early summer Jazz players and management. The way things look we, will have many early summers ahead.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    March 27, 2011 3:03 a.m.

the Jazz are nobody going nowhere you Jazzers want sloan out so hes out then you wanted williams out well deal with it now. there will never be a championship in Utah by the Jazz that will never happen am I a Jazz fan ? uh not a chance

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2011 7:04 a.m.

After watching Watson play poorly and with little energy all night, why would you substitute him into a game that you were leading with 6 mins to play. Why would you take out your young future star who was owning the paint defensively at the same time. Finally, why would you take out your best three point shooter over the last 30 days for either a player that is inconsistent and playing poorly or the aging Mr. Bell who still has not got his legs back from a year out of the league. Please, is the coaching staff watching the games or just following a bad old script?

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    March 27, 2011 7:08 a.m.

I don't know why I Bell is out there as long as he is. He is the reason the Jazz lost last night. He blew his assignment twice. He does not shoot well some one tell me why he gets his min?
    Price was amazing never gave up on the game kept playing fighting I love his heart. I Hope that Corbin plays his talent now and sits vets. Sorry to say but its better to tank the rest of the games and get a better pick.
    Corbin on the rest of his coaching is getting better I am sure next season he will be great. I still want to see what out young guys can do with Fes.

• josemb navotas, philippines
    March 27, 2011 7:41 a.m.

another loss and more excuses from corbin. i don't really blame him for the jazz woes. the players simply don't have the heart anymore to play this season. what i can't take is corbin making all kinds of excuses or positive spin with these losses. he's coaching in utah for goodness sake. he doesn't have to fear any player. he was, in fact, signed up long term by the jazz. i'm sure he gives good, sound instructions to his players during the game. and they mess up. i wish he would get mad and tell it like it is when they lose.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    March 27, 2011 8:40 a.m.

Even the number of comments is dropping. The "albatorss of the ancient mariner" is becoming heavier. "Mighty Casey has struck out".

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    March 27, 2011 8:47 a.m.

At this point it is all about the draft and development of the players that are going to be on this team next season. In that regard the Stern officiating actually helped us toward toward a better draft pick last night. I only hope that management will wake up an get us the long legitimate defensive minded center this team has been needing for the last 3 or so years. I hope we are finished using power forwards for centers. Go Kevin! Go Jazz!

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    March 27, 2011 9:17 a.m.

i too stepped out of the room for a few minutes during those game changing moments. I left as the jazz were tied, but when I came back dallas was up by four, and in that short time dallas had obviously turned up their game and no one on the jazz did anything on the statement level. The biggest problem for the jazz in the second half was they couldn't get the ball to the rim, i thought corbin should've could've used cj more, he called a couple of plays for cj which didn't work out but went away from it and then the offense dissapeared, should've could've stayed with that until things got going in the right direction, simply because they had to break that zone and the zone broke them instead.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    March 27, 2011 9:30 a.m.

The thing that is frustrating to me is, 1 RBell getting so many minutes. GH is better on both ends of the court. 2 Favors needs as much time as he can get. 3 every team we play kills us from the 3 point line. 4 why don't we have someone who can shoot the ball outside the paint. And last we would be in the same boat if DWill was here.

• Nevada fan Washoe Valley, NV
    March 27, 2011 9:55 a.m.

I really don't see any difference between Corbin and Sloan. They still don't have any real presents down in the paint. They tried early on, but towards the end end it just vanished {use Fes and his fouls}. It just seems that Miller doesn't have the same passion his Dad had.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 27, 2011 10:10 a.m.

raja doesnt have it anymore...i really cant understand why they arent giving the rookies the minutes...i mean...come on...give favors hayward evans the time...the last few games should be used to develop them...

• Viva Los Jazz Garland, UT
    March 27, 2011 10:54 a.m.

The Jazz did really well in the 4th quarter when Hayward and Favors were in - Favors held Dirk to only 2 points in that 6 minutes stretch. Suddenly the veterans go in and Dallas goes on a 13-0 run. Jefferson wasn't getting the calls but the Jazz were allowing dunks and wide open 3's during that crucial point of the game. I like seeing the young players in the game. I can't wait to get some more lottery picks. This draft is loaded with point guards including Jimmer, who we could use our second pick or trade down a few spots and still get him. I'd love Derick Williams or Terrance Morris, maybe Kawhid Leonard. We'll have a Tomac who is like Pau Gasol next year, Okur will be back as well so we won't be taking our lumps next year.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 27, 2011 11:23 a.m.

The way Tomic has played this yr I'm not sure he is the answer we need for next yr. He is not a defensive minded center and is too light weight to be a force down low in the paint.
    IMO we need to draft, Vesely, Barnes or PJones with the 6th pick and then either Jonas, a young aggresive defensive minded, long center, or a point guard for the future. Irving, Jimmer, Walker or Knight with the 12th pick. What does everyone else think?

• allpurposeanimal salt lake, utah
    March 27, 2011 11:53 a.m.

I'm a basketball fan first. A Jazz fan second. We are so lucky to have a NBA team in this state. Thanks to the Miller family. I will watch the Jazz,win or loose. This franchise has always been top notch. We have been spoiled with some really good teams and players. Its been a tough tough year for players and coaches alike. If we are the best fans in the NBA, now is the time to prove it. Many thanks to the Utah Jazz!!!!

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 27, 2011 12:24 p.m.

If everyone thinks Price is the answer, the Jazz are in trouble.

Remember Harris is out. AK is out and that means the bench is lean and guys are playing a lot of minutes and wear down in the fourth quarter. With Harris and AK in the lineup, it was probably a win.

I still think Corbin needs to go. Losing is starting to become a norm.....

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    March 27, 2011 12:44 p.m.

@allpurposeanimal, Well said

I feel the same way, we as fans think that it sould be like it was, hey the Stockton to Malone days are gone those guys will never be back, and the Williams to Boozer days are gone as well. Last year after the draft KOC said gives us 2 years then judge us. Well the way I see it is thats what it still is I think they have a plan in mind and its to build another 10 to 15 year dynasty with these young players.

So I am excited for the future but man o man its hard to see them lose now.

• LVJazzFan Glendale, AZ
    March 27, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Watching March Madness, I have become more and more a fan of Kemba Walker's game. He is a self-made star. He works hard on both ends of the court, is deadly from anywhere on the court and has a great attitude. If the Jazz have him or Jimmer available with the second pick I would choose Walker everytime. He may even be worth the sixth pick the Jazz may have.

It looks like Sullinger is staying at Ohio State for another year which weakens the draft.

I was really excited for the Corbin years to start. But, I have not been very pleased with the way he has coached games. This team is playing like the Nuggets when AD was coaching last year. If they "like" Corbin, they don't act like they respect him. And it seems as if the name of the game is continuity- which was why those who clammored for Sloan to quit did so. More of the same does not get anyone to first place.

• Fuzzbrain Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 27, 2011 1:39 p.m.

I'm not going to make any judgement about the coaching until next season. The Jazz went through something that rarely ever happens in the NBA: losing your coaches & trading your all-stars; all in the same year. The team would have a much better record this season if they had better wing players or any kind of defense in the middle of the lane. My fingers are crossed that those problems get fixed this summer & the Jazz become a much more aggressive team next fall. Until then, at least we have cute Jazz dancers & a crazy mascot to carry the show.

• sports fan Provo, UT
    March 27, 2011 1:53 p.m.

I love Ronnie Price, he deserves more playing time, let him get better and he will surprise alot of people. if Price goes i might just quit watching the Jazz.

• ohplease springfield, il
    March 27, 2011 2:04 p.m.

If JazzNation really believes this team will be better in the next couple of years, you're delusional. There is no bright future for this team, and the sooner people realize that, the sooner you can begin to prepare yourselves to be a fan of a team that will perenially be at the bottom of the league, a la the Clippers, the Wizards, the Kings etc. They're losers, but they still have fans. Those fans know they'll never see the playoffs, but they remain loyal. Jazz fans need to adopt that mentality and they'll be just fine.The days of the Jazz being contenders are forever gone with the wind.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 27, 2011 3:49 p.m.

@ Notthegame-- I quote, "And last we would be in the same boat if DWill was here." Hardly...DWill was most likely not staying in UT as we didn't surround him with the necessary players to win it all but with a healthy DWill this would not be going on or as severe as it has been. He was a closer and could break down any D with the best of them (I know things were unraveling before he left-but that aside he was a winner)....Hate him all you want but this would not be happening with a DWill still here in UT, sorry. Right now we don't have any go to guys at the end of a game....it's a moot point. Go Jazz.

@Viva Los Jazz--I was high on Tomic as well but a Pau Gasol he is NOT. I'm not exactly sure what is going on with him but the hype is not there right now. He is having a subpar year at best and I'm just not convinced right now. We will need to look elsewhere until something changes. Go Jazz...

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 27, 2011 4:04 p.m.

@Sportsfan-I bid you farewell then my friend. Price has heart no doubt and that is about it. He is not even close to what this team needs to WIN. If I could implant his heart into some of the players I would, though. I have to agree with CJ Miles on this one--if we are looking to Price we are in serious trouble.

I've been hard on the Jazz but as we look under the scope on this we are all in unfamiliar territory. The season unraveled with the loss of a top 2 PG and a legend/HOF coach..we have been banged up and fragile at best. No excuses but it is what it is right now. We are done this year and that is a tough pill to swallow as a die hard Jazzer. Reality though folks. We can only hope and pray we get it together and soon. We have a lot of missing pieces of the puzzle to figure out.

@ LVJazzfan--been saying it as well, Walker is the real deal as is Irving-get one. I'm intrigued to see what Jimmer can do at the next level:)

• Richie Saint George, UT
    March 27, 2011 4:04 p.m.

Captain has some interesting draft picks but throw in a shooting guard like Burks and get rid of Bell, Corbin and Laydon Jr. We don't need to worry about tanking the season, the opposition will do it for the Jazz. The big discrepancy in fouls last night between the Jazz amd Nowatski was also evident.

• idjazzman Pingree, Idaho
    March 27, 2011 4:12 p.m.

You really have to be a sad person to say you are not a fan, but you post about the jazz. I don't remember this many negative people even when the jazz only won 20 something games a few years back. I do agree with most that the rookies should be playing more minutes for future development. I have liked what I have seen out of Favors, and I think Gordan is coming around. Playoffs are out and to be honest its not a bad thing. We get two nice picks this year. I am pretty sure I am not delusional like ohplease thinks I am, but the future is bright. To say we will be like the Clippers and others is just an opinion from a person that obviously doesn't know what rebuilding means or takes. I am no expert nor do I claim to be but if you live anywhere near Chicago I am sure you seen the bulls rebuild. It took a while. So relax and breath deep. I do know one thing. We were not contenders with our all-star D-Will either.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 27, 2011 5:24 p.m.

ID Jazzman--why even end your post with "were not contenders with our all-star DWill either." Is this suppose to make a person feel better about getting rid of him? Losing an all-star is tough man. It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever bringing up DWill. Last time I checked he's not wearing a #8 Jazz uniform. Let's stick with the present and future of this organization. DWill is an amazing player no doubt--your post will not change that; just leave it at that. You need 5 guys to understand their roles on the court not just ONE--when that happens on both ends and trust (coaches/players etc) is involved you have a winner. Jordan was the best but also had an excellent supporting cast that mastered their respective positions. We have had none of that this year despite having a winning record for most of the season. We have had "our moments when DWill was here" but that's where the buck stops. It will take time but let's fix this thing. We have talent and with a few more players we could do some great things--vets/drafts-need a mix

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    March 27, 2011 6:31 p.m.

Everyone down on the Jazz should go back and watch the Knicks from earlier this year. One Great Player and good role players with a Great Coach equaled a winning record.

The Jazz have a great player in Big Al. He is a top 5 Center in the NBA and would thrive playing at the PF position ala Duncan. The problem was Sloan and is now Corbin. Big Al isn't a pick-and-roll player. He is an isolation post-up player, yet they hardly ever isolate him and always send cutters to the lane to make his life more difficult.

Bring back Korver, or any decent spot-up shooter, and space the floor and the Jazz could dominate. Oh and did I mention starting Fes/Favors at the 5?

Alas, Corbin was mentored by the legend who never made an in game adjustment in his career and relied simply on players' hustle.

Hire JVG! Hire JVG!

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    March 27, 2011 7:32 p.m.

Walker is the real deal, I would take him ahead of Jimmer.
    I do like Burks as well. Derrick Willams & Irving are them cream in this crop
    This draft is full of superstars but there is still some good players to be had if the Jazz pick wisely

Ty does need to play Evans, Fes, Favors & CJ more to see what he wants for the future, he cannot make that judgment with them on the pine.
    Elson, Bell and maybe Price are done - even though I love Ronnie's heart

Put Ronnie's heart & attiutde in Fes !!!!!!!!!

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    March 27, 2011 7:40 p.m.

What amazes me is the number of different ways the Jazz end up losing. Last week, they lost even though they had a much better shooting percentage and more rebounds. Last night, despite the team's effort and heart, the Jazz simply could not keep up with the intensity the Mavs ratcheted up to in the fourth quarter.

If Corbin is auditioning for a job next season, he is not doing a very good job. He continues to play the same players with the same game plan as all the other games. End result: Jazz lose by 10-15 points. I would have hoped Corbin is talking with KOC and even Greg Miller about preparing for the next season, but those conversations don't seem to be taking place.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    March 27, 2011 10:53 p.m.

I don't get the love affair some have with Fes. He's big and that's good I guess but I see him sitting on the bench all the time acting like he doesn't even cares about what's going on. I'm sure the coaches see what he can offer during practice and I'm sure if it was solid basketball skills he would be on the floor more. I think he will be gone next year. Also, I keep hearing about all the potential in Favors and I guess I'm net seeing as much as I would like from him either. He looks a little disinterested and not very motivated to me sometimes. However, I am patient with him because he is so young and probably still lost in the Jazz system. So I agree we should get him and Hayward and Evans as much time on the floor as possible the rest of the year but I don't have a big desire to see Fes taking up time from others players we need to develop for next season

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    March 28, 2011 8:52 a.m.

The jazz would've been a contender IF mgt would've surrounded
    Dwill with talent after the boozer debacle.

Instead they traded the farm away to save some money.

The current roster is combination of washed up/injury prone "veterans" and mediocre rookies (ok, except for favors and big al; still not enough though).

The jazz are reaping what has been sown by KOC and GMiller. I feel bad for Corbin actually.