Utah Jazz: Grizzlies rout Jazz 103-85

Comments

March 21, 2011 7:22 p.m.

There has been very little ball movement in the first half, I love how hard Paul works but he is becoming a black hole. Jefferson and Paul have been getting killed inside so far.
    I wish Corbin would play Bell about 15 minutes not 30 plus.

• md Smithfield, UT
    March 21, 2011 8:25 p.m.

They won't reach 41 wins this season.

• Calgary Calgary, AB
    March 21, 2011 8:38 p.m.

Corbin lost his mind or they already tanking it. Playing useless, scared to shot ( and when he does he bricks them anyway), used to be good defender Bell over AK or CJ is straight way to lottery. Grizzlies - worst NBA team in 3 pointers yet they still light us up from perimeter as rest of the NBA... Bell who!?
    The day they lost Matthews will haunt them forever unless they draft something spectacular.
    If I were AK I would seriously reconsider about resigning with the Jazz - for what? 16 min a game???

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    March 21, 2011 8:40 p.m.

This season has been a train wreck and all credit goes to KOC. I can't believe how much this man has ruined the team.

All the Jazz needed in the offseason was a large center and we'd be up there with the Lakers. Move Mathews, Korver, Brewer, you moved your All-Star P.G's friends and wings. So the All Star PG wants out, Sloan gets notified that they're rebuilding again, Sloan quits because he has no energy, PG traded, and now you've got the Utah Clippers.

Well here's to next season....at least Hayward and Favors look bright.
    Hayward's already the best 3 point shooter on the Jazz. 44% Very impressive.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    March 21, 2011 8:47 p.m.

Well,well,well...so much for miles the "10 million dollar man" this is the real cj,worthless lazy,no defense,hopefully gone at the end of the season,where`s miles tonight,in hiding?

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    March 21, 2011 8:52 p.m.

@Anonigma

Do you just have a copied statement on a clipboard to post here every game bashing Kevin O'Conner and living in the past about Matthews, Korver, etc?

Seriously its the same post every single game the Jazz lose. Just makes me chuckle.

I see no downside to the rest of the season. Jazz rookies will get more time on the floor and we will have two lottery picks to get Derrick Williams and Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight.

March 21, 2011 9:00 p.m.

Nobody played well, everyone seemed lackadaisical, no chemistry, no passing / no assists, terrible on the boards. No one players fault but several players didn't play well.
    I like Price's aggressive play but he's not a point guard or a good shooter, CJ shot terrible, Watson no assists, Bell as usual poor play 1for4. Interior defense was terrible, mostly Paul and Big Al.
    Hayward shot OK and played OK, Evans played hard and had good numbers for his minutes, Favors had a good first half, hope his injury isn't too bad that it keeps him out of many games.
    The playoffs are not really a possibility, so I guess we need to look forward to the draft and the development of the young players. Hope Corbin sees reality and shuts down some of the vets, to give the young guys more PT.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    March 21, 2011 9:05 p.m.

@JazzRule

I think it's the first time I've said that.

Derrick Williams is the #1 pick, no way we're getting him. Plus, we need Irving more than Derrick. Need a true PG.

March 21, 2011 9:06 p.m.

The young guys need to get playing time so they can become more assertive and aggressive. There is alot of chemistry issues as players learn new roles. Pt guard is a problem, maybe Harris will come around but he needs to try to look to involve all the other players more than look for his own scoring. I wish Milsap would accept the fact that for the good of the team he needs to say I'll be the 6th man and let Favors start. I don't think he'll accept that, so I hope Corbin has the guts to see it and make the move. I think Favors is the future and we need his presence in the middle.

March 21, 2011 9:12 p.m.

Houdini: I knew you would slam CJ, he didn't shoot well but he's not the only one and he's not the only one that didn't play with energy. You hate CJ so much, your always looking to justify your negative comments about him. CJ has played pretty good for several games and now he has a poor game and your all over it. Sad.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 21, 2011 9:19 p.m.

Houdini......CJ got to the line 9 times so he must not have been too lazy. So he was missing his shots, big deal. He still played hard and his free throw attempts totally contradict your lack of basketball knowledge one more time.

Do they have TV's in Rye?

• as186451 Bellevue, WA
    March 21, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Can anybody tell me why Bell gets 28 minutes per game Maybe I am missing something in Bell's game? Anyone?

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 21, 2011 9:45 p.m.

@as186451--that is the 64 thousand dollar question. It's absolutely crazy. Bell must have Corbin in his back pocket. It makes no sense. I mean both Price and Bell had more minutes that AK....what? AK had 17 minutes? Price 20 and I think Bell had almost 30 min.... What is going on, Corbin? Is AK hurt or am I missing something? Wow.....

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    March 21, 2011 9:46 p.m.

Is it just me, or does the Jazz seem to be playing WORSE since the D-Will trade? The defense is certainly worse--we're now making the most obscure of NBA players superstars when they play the Utah Jazz.

Has anyone on our roster played a 2-3 zone before? This zone usually doesn't give up so many layups.

The inexperience amongst our new coaching staff is really starting to show. We now look like the Minnesota Timberwolves--no defense, and AJ on offense--and no signs of improvement. At least it's warmer here, AJ.

The rest of this season is nothing more than an audition for next season, if there is one. The preseason has officially begun. We have some good pieces for the future--we really need to start getting these pieces into place in case there is a next season.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 21, 2011 9:50 p.m.

This was pathetic effort no doubt. No consistency whatsoever. The Jazz had no heart against Memphis tonight. We have a "few" decent prospects and that is encouraging. To Captain L and CJ Miles please stop feeding into certain posts. Treat certain posts as if they didn't exist. I don't event read them b/c they are never relevant to what is going on. Just don't buy into the nonsense--not worth it.
    The Jazz have a lot of issues and something has got to give. Whats wrong with the lineup that brought some excitement? AJ, Favors, AK, CJ and Harris? This isn't quantum physics here. Sap can come off the bench. Not sure what Corbin is thinking. It's not good. Go Jazz.....

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    March 21, 2011 9:52 p.m.

Why on earth would you play a guy who can not shot,rebound,steal,or pass. His name is Raja Bell. Watch the tape he sits flat footed. Fes may be better to play than Al right now too. Al looked like his bags were already packed along with most of the Jazz.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 21, 2011 10:02 p.m.

Amgolfer.......It wouldn't be any fun if Houdini and I didn't go back and forth......

As for Corbin, he is in over his head. He is too afraid to hurt Millsap's feelings. I think the Jazz need to bring in a tough, defensive minded coach who can teach the game. Sloan didn't want to teach, only preach. He would give lip-service to defense. The Jazz need someone who isn't afraid to bench players for not playing some D along the way.

The Jazz are going nowhere fast.......

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 21, 2011 10:02 p.m.

With the loss to HOU the Jazz are highly unlikely to get into the playoffs and may as well improve their lotto status.

Hence almost no one played hard and you had a lot of interesting combinations on the floor. Do not expect a lot of road victories but the Jazz should play better in front of the home crowd.

They are not exactly tanking but they are not playing hard or smart enough to win either.

Corbin is giving playing time to Bell (rumored to be traded in the off season) and Price (should be replaced with DWill's eventual replacement in the draft) and others who need to audition for positions.

That is not a bad thing given the situation. Utah has always been kind to its players and treated them much better than most NBA organizations. That is a reason why many NBA non stars are very willing to come to Utah.

The Jazz core values of loyalty and civility are trumping the core value of playing hard for the sake of playing hard.

The Jazz need the best draft they can get. Kanter and Jimmer would be nice. But so would a lot of others.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    March 21, 2011 10:04 p.m.

Make the most of your young players now Corbin and go with next years people that will be back. You should keep Harris, Favors, Evans, Hayward, Jefferson, Miles, and Milsap unless he is wanted more by someone else who will give up something you need. A.K. would be offered a contract for 7 mil, and Fesenko for 2 or 2.5 mil and if they don't want that say goodbye to them also. Regarding draft picks with the youth we have now I wouldn't draft any rookies in the upcoming draft, but would try to trade for established players with them as to your needs. If that can't be done draft to trade the rookies. Just clean the house the right way being you are 65% there now. Hire a defensive specialist coach and a big man coach, letting Layden move to the front office or wherever. Bring Cousin and Jeffers in for summer and preseason ball and see if either will work. Play in the Orlando & Las Vegas summer leagues and watch young players there also. This boat "will" still float! Go get shipmates!

• scalman Temecula, CA
    March 21, 2011 10:06 p.m.

Looks like Jazz won't be able to get Irvin or Williams. I see that Burks from Colorado had a good game in NIT opener...hope someone watches him Friday night in next game. Captain L mentioned him on blog other night. I am leaning towards him now instead of small quick guy like Kemba Walker. Burks could end up being one of the best defensive NBA guards, who could play shooting guard some and PG/back up PG some. I see Tomic coming in 2013 and I don't think Vesely or Motiejunas or Kanter will prove better than him. Why not go for 2 guards, Burks and Jimmer?

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:10 p.m.

I don't see the Jazz winning more than 2 or 3 games out of the 11 games left. I hope they end up 11th in the west behind the Suns and Rockets and that would give us the 12th pick in the draft.
    This lock out situation could make this summer a long and messy thing. If there is a lock out, no summer league, who knows when pre season would start or if the season would start on time or they may miss weeks or months of the reg. season.
    Let's hope not, it's bad enough to deal with poor play but at least we have a team to root for and talk about.
    I love to look forward to young players developing and helping the team become better, this is a young team and looks to even become younger with the up coming draft picks the Jazz should end up with.
    We've been spoiled considering how the Jazz have almost always produced a winning team to follow. Let's all stay as positive as possible and hope for the best.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 21, 2011 10:13 p.m.

The Jazz could possibly trade their 2 picks for the number 1 pick depending on who gets the number 1 and also if the Jazz have a player they just can't live without.

It suspect they will be happy to keep their 2 picks unless there is somebody in the top 3 they just have to have. I personally do not see a player worth 2 lotto picks.

I like Kanter and several of the SFs.

I also think Jimmer would make a decent back up PG but he would take a couple of years to develop. At least he can hit a 3 under pressure and also drive and dish. Smart players help a team a lot.

The Jazz can play when they decide the want to play. However, they have to fix the defense and that is not likely to happen this year. When all of the player changes are finished over summer/fall then Corbin will alter the D to fit the players who are actually going to play next year after the lock out.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Bugoff: Tell me more about Kanter, I see you suggest him quit often, I've read about him some but he seems to be a short (6'10)center and from what I've read he may have knee problems. I read he has good skills but he's not any taller and not as athletic as Favors.
    I'd like to see the Jazz get Barnes, P Jones or Vesely and then a pt guard, Irving(probably not available), Jimmer or Knight.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:25 p.m.

If we're trying to auction off Bell and Price....it seems it would make more sense to say they're hurting and sit them down. They're play isn't helping anyone's cause right now.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:29 p.m.

If Burks can play the point I would be all for going for him. I like CJ and Hayward at the 2 spot and so unless Burks can play the 1, I'd rather see us go for a long athletic 3, Barnes, PJones or Vesely.

• LoveMySports Syracuse, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Put a fork in 'em...

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 21, 2011 10:35 p.m.

Captain L--Walker is going to be the real deal in the next level. He has a lot of game..thoughts? I like Jimmer (I'm bias of course) as he is a shooter and can create. A very very underrated passer as well. I know his family is lobbying for him to go to the Knicks...he would excel in that offense.. Hate the thought though. Irving and Williams will be gone. We don't need Kanter as he would be a log jam.....need #2 possibly a future #1 and definitely a true C (#5).....Keep Harris, Favors, Hayward, AJ, AK (8 million), Fess (possibly), Sap (off the bench but is trade bait), CJ, Watson and Evans. The rest dump...add three newbies--#1, #2, and #5.

If we can hold on to the above and pick a few decent drafts just maybe we could start to look good. I am torn as I do agree with Vinnie as we do need Vets as well--leadership is crucial...

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:35 p.m.

With the Jazz being as young as they are, they may not want two more rookies but then again maybe they are accepting the fact they are rebuilding and the more young talent the better. Time will tell.
    We do need some aggressive, tough, leadership that can still play, Bell is over the hill.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 21, 2011 10:41 p.m.

Now, if CJ and Hayward can prove to be our #2 guys then get a good #3. CJ has what it takes to be a solid #2. We need a #5 and AJ needs to go back to PF. Favors can back him with significant minutes next year. AK can float between #4 and #3--but he may opt out of this option. Now, what about Paul? Interesting. He can't play #3 as he not quick enough. A lot of unknowns...

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:48 p.m.

@Anonigma

Wrong, Derrick Williams is projected to go 5th or higher on every board I have ever seen. Now he may go to 4th since Barnes may not enter the draft.

Ahead of him are 1. Kyrie Irving 2. Perry Jones 3. Jared Sullinger.

Like I said on some boards he is at 7th 8th, some at 5, so at highest 4th. IMO, we should trade both of our 1st round picks to get Derrick, but that is just me. Maybe even for Kyrie Irving, but I doubt a team with the 1st pick will give up Irving. I can see a team giving up Williams for two first rounders though.

And no, not the first time you have posted that btw. :)

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 21, 2011 10:48 p.m.

@CJ Miles--in your opinion what do we need? I mean I think CJ can handle the #2 with some offseason conditioning and hard work. I like Hayward at #3 and #2 at times. He just needs to develop and hone his shot. So what is your opinion regarding the draft. I think a fresh #1 and #5 are needed for sure. AJ needs to move back to PF. Favors is a solid backup PF. Thoughts on a #2 or #3? Have to be careful of the log jam at certain positions. We could potentially have a lot of freshman and sophomores on this team.....hmmmm. Have to be careful. Something has to give though....

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:51 p.m.

amgolfer: I haven't watched Walker at all so I don't know what to think about him, the only thing about him that could be a concern is his size,(his numbers sure are good) but CPaul is about the same size. Not sure if your saying we need a point guard, 2 guard and a center but if that is what your saying I would agree accept that I like CJ and Hayward at the 2, so I think we need a tall, long, athletic 3.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:54 p.m.

I hope the threat of a lock out doesn't cause several of the top underclassmen to stay in school and make this draft even weaker.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 21, 2011 11:17 p.m.

Captain L--we need a #1 and #5 for sure. In other words a true PG and a true C. How would that be a true C. Wow....haven't had that in a long time. Now, as I said in another post if CJ and Hayward can handle the #2 then let's look at upgrading a solid #3. Evans will take a while to develop and he needs to bulk up. Hayward can also play #3 along with AK (if we keep him). Hayward is improving but he is still no threat from beyond. He still needs to develop a lot as we all know. Walker is small, 6'1 listed. CP3 is 5"10 max. I have walked by him and he is NOT 6'0. I would love Irving but he will be gone. Williams would be sweet but not sure if that is a possibility as he is moving up in the draft. I sure like Jimmer down further though. We will see. We could be deep next year but may need to trade someone for some leadership. Sap is trade bait, sorry. I love Paul but.....

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    March 21, 2011 11:37 p.m.

You know, the other possibility is trading for a proven point gaurd.

Eric Maynor's the best the comes to mind. For a pass first point gaurd, he's got an amazing shot. He needs to be a starter somewhere. Lousy AK contract...otherwise, Jazz would have Maynor running the show.

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    March 22, 2011 4:53 a.m.

I like Burks but at the 12/13 pick & hopefully Barnes with the 6th pick
    Benson would be a nice pick in the second round

I like Jimmer & Walker but not sure which one would fit the team better , thats why Burks a defensive beast the can shot would be a lock for the 2 spot,the team then could make a call on CJ which ever way they choose.

• John Wicks Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2011 5:44 a.m.

Ronnie Price is horrible. Does not belong in the NBA. Should have kept Gaines. As far as I'm concerned keep Harris and let every guard go. Then get busy and go down south and get the JIMMER. I don't think the line will be too long today when I go down to renew my season tickets (lol). Greg you have ruined Larry's team in under 2 years. Way to go.

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    March 22, 2011 5:48 a.m.

all you guys wanting a true point guard, this makes me want to retire again, if you can't see that the jazz already have a true pt guard then i really would hate to see you guys try to find one in the draft, what will you be looking for? harris was a huge part of the trade and you're not excited to watch him play, i am, he's pretty good, but its because of opinions like this that i have so little respect for these post forums.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    March 22, 2011 6:48 a.m.

I've been posting for awhile that the Jazz are not a good NBA team right now and if you are still hoping to make the playoffs by now I think you can remove your blinders. It's not going to happen. I've followed the Jazz since the move from New Orleans and always been a big fan and a "glass is half full" kind of guy. Right now, I'm really starting to wonder about the Jazz future. At this point I'm not sure 2 college players from what is expected to be a weak draft can get us back to the upper tier of NBA teams again. I am holding out hope for a brighter future starting next year but there needs to be alot more changes I'm afraid or it's going to be a long and winding road. It's useless to blast individual players on this team because it's not any one players fault. The whole team chemistry is just not what it used to be. But, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things turn around.

• DH48 West Jordan, UT
    March 22, 2011 7:33 a.m.

Think of the high draft picks we'll get this year. No play-offs for us.

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    March 22, 2011 8:31 a.m.

Thanks to Greg Miller and KOC, all this team has is excuses.

• deno22 Rexburg, ID
    March 22, 2011 8:37 a.m.

I really hope Ty doesn't really believe what he says in the postgame interviews, because there isn't any effort. Free throws a great indication of the focus your team has and utah has been missing a lot of them. They get beat on back doors, those are the things that show me they just aren't focused and don't have the effort. Their help defense is way too timid and they get caught not doubling or defending their man so they just give up easy lay-ups. THere are just too many players on this team who don't know the fundamentals which is sad considering it is the NBA.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    March 22, 2011 9:01 a.m.

I`ve watched Burks all season,he`s very good,and under the radar,no one is talkin about him,he would replace miles very nicely,need miles to play good the rest of the season so maybe,hopefully someone,anyone will want him

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    March 22, 2011 9:05 a.m.

Like I stated yesterday this boat will still float, so go get shipmates! Well this A.M. after looking at rosters in the NBA last night and this AM I have found the team to do business with and that is New Orleans. David West has stated on hoopshype that he will more than likely opt out of his last year with them. Wow what a great replacement through trade or whatever for Milsap. West is a better rebounder, defender, and scorer makes 6.7 mil next year and would fit our system just super. Also they have Carl Landry @ 6'8" 250lbs as a free agent, Jason Smith @ 7'0" with qualifying offer option, David Anderson @ 7'0" 245 in a team option, & Trevor Ariza 6'7" on contract for only 6.7mil. We have several options to offer them, Bell, Fess, Okur, Price, Watson, Elson, Milsap(who would be going home)and draft picks, four of the above would need to sign and trade or just let them sign them. Get after them Jazz and get something done. Realizing that the NBA has control of the N.O. franchise.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    March 22, 2011 9:13 a.m.

KOC's experiment of starting two powerforwards and no center has failed. Especially when one of them is way undersized and the other one is a poor defender at best. That was obvious clear back in December if not before.

Ty Corbin is really struggling as a head coach. He forgets what works and he forgets what doesn't work. In many ways he is alot like Sloan. How long will it be before he realizes that the Bell has stopped ringing? If he wants to open up the paint and keep defenses honest he should go with Hayward, his best 3 point shooter and a much better defender than the aging Bell. The players have even lost confidence in Bell and don't pass him the ball if there is another option. He is dead wood out there.

I agree with many of you posters that Bell needs to be benched and Milsap needs to come of the bench. We will see how long it takes for Corbin to realize the obvious.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    March 22, 2011 9:35 a.m.

One more thing on Alec Burks at CU,he`s listed as a point but this kid does it all,very good rebounder,his head is in the game,smart,he`s a soph,but I think he`ll come out.CU is in the quarterfinals,catch their next game if you can,this kid is a hard worker

• JK Regina, Saskatchewan
    March 22, 2011 9:41 a.m.

pray for the ping pong balls people!!!!!it would be a start..but the wound is deep and needs stitches not a bandage

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    March 22, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Quit dissing Harris, the man is an allstar but who can he throw it to and hope for an assist?

Without a shooting coach this team will continue to struggle, and with the current one it will struggle even more.

Nobody Harris passes to has a prayer of hitting and when it goes to Jefferson it never comes back out.

Was I him I would shoot it every time.

There are lots of kids in the deraft but they will have to go up against Gasol and Kobe and James and Wade etc, I know how young players fend against those people in the league and it is not pretty.

I for one am interested in winning sooner rather than developing players to populate the league with.

Seems like Utah is done with loyalty so be like Boston, draft the players and acquire the coach that will get the team to the winners circle.

Trade Price for Bosh, Elson for Stoudamire, and Fes for Lebron and lets get the show on the road. These are as likely as Jazz developing young players who will win it all.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 22, 2011 10:28 a.m.

am.............. I am fine with the following:

1. Harris
    2. CJ, Bell about 10 - 15 minutes a game
    3. Need a shooting, scoring wing, Hayward playing backup
    4. Favors, Millsap off the bench
    5. Jefferson

Everyone else can go.

You can't play Jefferson in the Post and go get a Defensive center to stand in the paint too. Won't work offensively. If the Jazz are going to keep Jefferson, then he was to play the 5 unless you get a Memo-type center who plays outside on offense.

The Jazz need a scoring back-up point guard. One who shoots first, passes second.

They need a outside threat starting at the 3 who can play some D.

It's not like this team doesn't have players, they just have a horrible bench that can not score or defend.

Need to upgrade the bench by getting rid of AK and moving Bell and Millsap to the bench. Use AK's money to improve the team and trade Memo's expiring contract to get a 3 who can start.

• Steve Jensen Herriman, UT
    March 22, 2011 10:33 a.m.

@ "CJ Miles" - Your beloved CJ is awaful! 1-8 and 0-3 on 3's? See he has one good game out on about 5 or 6 games. Your saying that he good cuz he went 8-9 from the line? Really? So if so other player does that should I be selling how great he is? - NO.
    The problem is defense, which the Jazz don't play.

• Jaggie Logan, Utah
    March 22, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Drafting Jimmer would be a mistake. I know this wont be popular, but an undersized 2 who refuses to bend his knees on D just isn't the solution. Utah has a backcourt full of people who don't/can't play D. The shooting would be very welcome, but that's just adding to a liability.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    March 22, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Lazy. Apathetic. Disinterested. The Jazz have got it all......

• ohplease springfield, il
    March 22, 2011 1:40 p.m.

@Doug10: DWill had the same players to pass to that harris does and DWill averages 10+ assists a game. Harris is lucky to get 5. He is NOT a pass first PG. He's nothing more than a stat stuffer. He'd rather get his points than an assist, and it shows. Furthermore, he does a horrible job of running the team.Watson scores less, but runs the team better.

In any event, this is all moot because this team is going nowhere this year, next year or the year after that. The trades the Jazz have made over the last 2-3 years has strengthened other teams while weakening the Jazz. The Jazz have the dumbest front office/ownership than any other team in the NBA. What you see on the floor now is the result.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    March 22, 2011 2:24 p.m.

Our core group of Harris,Hayward,AK,Millsap and Jefferson will be much improved next year,keep in mind 3 of those 5 are new guys.We do need a solid starting 2 and if Memo doesn`t come back,we`ll need a long defensive 5.Evans will need to prove he can do other things besides dunking. The rest ...adios

• Fred704 Westwood, NJ
    March 22, 2011 2:49 p.m.

I think the Jazz will be in turmoil for at least 5 more years. A team with no good point guard has no future.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 22, 2011 2:58 p.m.

Houdini you are scaring me. Core group of players includes Hayward? Enlighten me on how he is the "Answer". While you are at it, enlighten me on how you think Millsap and Jefferson can play together? Because right now, it is not working too well........

Steve: Do you actually read what you write? One good game out of every 5 - 6? You must be watching Cleveland and its players. CJ is on fire right now. So he was off one game, who cares. If you are a true fan, you would be more worried about everyone else on the team.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    March 22, 2011 3:17 p.m.

Think of all the boneheaded draft picks our hero KOC has done and all of the good players that have been lost for barely nothing. Even Williams had problems and look at Boozer in street clothes again...Now we have four problems never addressed.
    1. A good center

2. Poor 3 point shooting.

3. Poor defenders.

4. Too many undersized players.

KOC has virtually detroyed the team and the younger Miller has no clue about the Jazz.

I think Utah fans deserve better than what they see on the court.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 22, 2011 3:17 p.m.

Fred: You should tell that to Miami and the Lakers.........

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    March 22, 2011 3:25 p.m.

I really believe we had a great coach and two fantastic unselfish players that created a virtual dynasty. Sloan had a greater depth of pure basketball knowledge and discipline that most players and KOC. I think we are floundering
    as an organization thanks to KOC and Miller. I wonder if Malone would be a good fit as GM. We have a disjointed assortment of soft players and no superstar. These problems are stemming from poor management. I think the media has a herd mentality when it crowns some GM as being wonderful. But the fans know that KOC is a cancer for the Jazz.

• Steve Jensen Herriman, UT
    March 22, 2011 4:06 p.m.

@CJ I do read what I write. AK shoots better from the 3 line than your beloved CJ and plays Defense. Having coached college teams Id think that I would know a little more than a 'CJ Lover'. CJ doesn't play D and has a poor shot selection. He needs to take it to hoop more - which is where his skills are. Your knowledge of basketball is way off and laughable. I mean you think Millsap is a bench player. Guys that shoot 53% and gets 8-10 rebounds and leads the team in steals are Not bench players. Players that shoots 41% - (CJ) are bench guys. AK shoots 46%, yep higher than CJs.

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    March 22, 2011 4:24 p.m.

all the promillsap love is laughable, like it was for okur, laughable, it makes good fans need to rip these players up, stop hyping them up or i will start ripping into them,
    none of you have a problem ripping into harris who has been here like 15 games, won't even give him a chance, yet the support for futile basketball is overwhelming,
    and i can't stand hapring,
    he must go too.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    March 22, 2011 4:56 p.m.

Miles,I was one of the first to say AJ and Millsap were getting in each others way.Millsap is gonna get his minutes whether he starts or not,but he WILL be in when the game is on the line.As for Hayward, at 20 he`s already proven that he`s a keeper and will probably find regular minutes next year.What is it that scares you ? the fact that he will soon be more valuable to the Jazz than cj if he is not already? Core group doesn`t mean starters,it means guys we keep to build around,and cj is not one of them,Hayward is

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 22, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Steve.....If you had been paying attention to the Jazz. You would have noticed that since CJ has been inserted into the starting lineup at the 2, he is shooting 50% and scoring over 20 a night.

Millsap is the reason the Jazz are losing most every night. He can not defend anyone in the NBA at his position. He is over-matched. Who cares if he shoots 53%. The guys he is guarding is shooting 60% and he is useless on help defense in the middle. The driving guards shoot right over him. I am sure you know how important interior defense is in stopping the penetration as a former college coach. Millsap is useless helping his teammates.

CJ can score all over the court. NBA teams love guys like him.

CJ had to create his shot with the second unit. AK would just stand there and get a gift from Dwill night after night. Big difference. Comparing apples to apples (both AK and CJ starting) CJ beats him in shooting percentage and scoring, hands down.

But you go ahead an love on AK and Millsap. They will both be gone next year.

March 22, 2011 5:24 p.m.

I agree that CJ has a hx of poor shot selection, that is why his shooting percentage is so low. Most of that is CJ's fault but some of it is because he gets the ball passed to him with 3 or 4 seconds left and he has to huk up some long 3 pointer or shoot an off balanced, hurried shot. In the game against Minn. Corbin complimented CJ for not forcing things and taking shots within the offense. I don't think most of CJ's shots last night were bad shots, 1or 2 were the huk up shots with no time but most of them were within the offense, he just missed them. I see CJ improving and hopefully his consistency improves.
    CJ's defense needs improving, once in a while he is very good, sometimes terrible and most of the time mediocre/so so.
    Houdini: I don't know who you listen to but KOC & Corbin have mentioned many times that CJ is one of there core players they are building around. I know you hate that thought but it is true. I do like Hayward though and have high hopes for him.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 22, 2011 5:33 p.m.

Come on Houdini, you are going to build your team around a skinny white boy? CJ already runs circles around him.

AJ or Millsap? One has to go. Which one do you trade?

March 22, 2011 5:41 p.m.

IMO the core players the Jazz want to build around are Favors, Big Al, Milsap, CJ, Hayward, and Harris. Evans is young and talented and may be in that group but he has alot of improving to do. Harris also may only be short term.
    Okur is probably done after next yr, if he can even get back to playing again.
    Elson, Watson, Price, Bell, hopefully, soon to be gone, Fes probably won't get resigned, and AK might get resigned if they can get him cheap enough.
    With AK's return an unknown, I hope the Jazz are looking to draft a tall, long, athletic, defensive minded 3. Barnes, PJones, Vesely.
    We need a true center and I would have loved to see Fes be that player but I don't see it happening. So, that means we need to find a center and I don't see one in the draft.
    With Harris being a questionable replacement for DWill and probably short term, a point guard is the other position I think the Jazz could look to fill in this draft.
    I see CJ and Hayward best suited to play the 2.

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    March 22, 2011 6:08 p.m.

jazz are really faced with a problem, milsap is a good guy to help a team get over the hump, i'm not sure you build around him though, i want to see his contribution going forward but at what he is making you can probably pay ak47 the same, and ak47 can play more than just pwfwd. i trust ak47 more, not the scorer but millsaps scroing is thworing everyhtbnuing out of rythyems.

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    March 22, 2011 6:19 p.m.

ak47 is more mature bball, better veteran thats why i trust him more, not because of pure heart though.

March 22, 2011 6:25 p.m.

If Favors is the future and I think he is, then Paul is the trade bait to get what you want at some other position. I love how hard Paul works and those kind of players are hard to find and almost impossible to replace but he is undersized and Big Al and Favors are more than likely anchors of the front line. Depending on who the Jazz get in the draft could depend on who they try to get via trade or FA.
    If Paul would accept going back to the bench, playing Big Al & Favors to start and bringing Paul off the bench would be OK but we'd still be undersized. I'd look to trade Paul for a legit center or improve at the point.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 22, 2011 8:30 p.m.

Vesely and Kanter are the best possible options...if they are still available...and they are better than Tomic...there is another one...Jonas Valanciunas...if he is still in the draft...Jonas and Kanter are rivals in the euroleague...but Jonas gets the MVP awards...he is decent on D...and gets a block or two a game...Kanter on the other hand is mature...and would do anything for the team...heck he is even willing to come of the bench if that is what's best...Kanter is much more offensively polished than Jonas....Vesely...is riding his recent stint in the euroleague...he stands 6'10" or 6'11" i think...and shoots the three ball quite well...and can finish around the rim...some say he is like the european blake griffin...but i think its a bit far off...both vesely and Kanter's stock are rising...due to their potential...i would give Kemba Walker a chance...if we couldnt get Irving...Harrison Barnes i think needs one more year in college...he has the body...but im not sure if he'll be as good in the NBA

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 22, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Burks for Univ. of Colorado is going to be good. He is very athletic at 6'6" and I like his game. He made a sick up and under--very impressive (Kobe style). He needs to work on Defense and his outside shooting is mediocre at best. He is only a Sophomore and I think that staying in college at least one more year would be to his advantage. Now, with that said just maybe he is worth the risk; just not sure... Go Jazz....

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 22, 2011 9:05 p.m.

if it was up to...my honest opinion...my trade baits would be...CJ and Millsap heck even Al Jefferson...I know Trevor Ariza is having one of his worst season as a pro...but if he's a free agent..and CJ...would demand or command a higher pay...then..i'd rather have Ariza...a proven clutch defender...if we could get David West...he is best suited in our system...on the draft...we couldn't say how the ping pong balls bounce...but...Vessely and Kanter is probably a good option...if they are available...their stocks are rising pretty fast...so is true with Harrison barnes...i'd gamble with Kemba Walker...i would be willing to keep hayward...and would give him time to prove himself...same goes with Evans...i'd keep watson...he is a quality back up PG...I'd keep Favors and AK...i know AK is not the player he once was...but he still a great weakside help defender...Bell is disposable for me...im just hoping we could get great pieces by next year...lets all be optimistic...

March 22, 2011 9:21 p.m.

I looked at Vesely last year and wanted / hoped maybe the Jazz would get a chance at him but he decided not to stay in the draft. He's nothing like Blake Griffin, he's skinny but has very good hops, he is 6'11 and has ok handles and shoots outside ok, he runs the floor very well and has a good motor. Not sure how he would defend in the NBA but I like him.
    P Jones, 6'11" has the skills to play the 3 at the NBA level but has been playing the 4 for Baylor, he needs to mature too, great upside, maybe the most upside of any player in the draft.
    If Kanter could play very physical, like a Perkins, his size wouldn't be a problem but I don't know that much about him.
    Watched a little of Burke tonight and he looks good, I just don't know if he could play the point,if he could I'd love his size. I don't see us needing a 2, both CJ and Hayward play the 2 and both are bigger and similarly skilled.

• deno22 Rexburg, ID
    March 22, 2011 9:21 p.m.

I am surprised there isn't much talk about Hayward, he has been shooting really well lately...his 3-point percentage is up to 47% which is exactly what everyone wanted out of him. He has improved his shooting and hopefully that continues now i just hope he gets better at creating shots for others. But I think he will be a good player for the jazz.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    March 22, 2011 9:33 p.m.

What a bunch of know nothings we have for commentors. You people that want to draft rookies to team them with more rookies apparently have never played any competitive sports let alone at anything above little league. I commented earlier that we need some experience when getting rid of the has beens and non players. Once more- you keep Harris, Favors, Evans, Hayward, Jefferson, Miles and Milsap. A.K. would be O.K. for around 7 mil but no more. Go to new Orleans and see if they would swap David West for Milsap or just offer West a long term contract at the same rate he is at now around 7 mil. That would also send Milsap back home to La. They also have 3 7'0" centers on their roster. Carl Landry is a free agent. We have draft picks an, expiring contract, and Bell. If we keep 7 we need 6 more. Bring Cousin, and Jeffers back for the summer leagues & preseason and watch for free agents and players in the summer leagues to see who has enough ability to contribute. Get a Defense & big man coach and roll with it.

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 22, 2011 9:44 p.m.

Vinnie, one problem. Let's say we get West....now we have Favors, AJ, AK, Sap, and West???--log jam my friend. Won't work. Even, if we get rid of SAP. I would like to get a true #5. West is not that. Now, many will say keep AJ at the #5 position? I hate him at #5. Lakers and other big teams will still eat us alive underneath. Our rebounding has been better as of late but not what it was last year. We need a solid #5 would can rebound and play D. I have agreed with you many many times regarding VETERAN leadership; it's a must. We can't have a bunch of rookies and expect to win.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 22, 2011 9:56 p.m.

@Captain L

i dont think Kanter is a banger type...Perry Jones is still raw...but Vesely would be a good pick up...the Blake Griffin comparison...is probably because of his hops...not his built...Jonas Valanciunas...on the other hand...has very long wingspan @7'6"...and he is a pick and roll player...and he admits that its his bread and butter play...he finishes well inside...but he needs to learn back to the basket moves...he doesnt have the girth to power his way in...his long wingspan attributes to his 1-2 blks a game...

@Vince
    Oklahoma City is a prime example of rookies pairing up with rookies...and they did well...the difference is...they have durant..and we dont have anyone like him...the reason why we were talking about rookies is because of the two lottery picks we get...im not saying they are the answers for next year...but they are pieces that could be built upon...we wont win now...and im not sure we will win next year too...but im optimistic on what they might bring 3-5 years from now

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 22, 2011 10:14 p.m.

@Kakashi-I'm all about getting missing pieces buddy for the future but waiting 3-5 years???? Seriously? No way will most fans stand for that. Wow, up to 5 years? So, what you are saying is mold our talent and then take the risk they leave the Beehive state? Up to 5 years puts us into 2016...bad bad idea. We need to use some of the talent and make an upgrade. We need VETERAN leadership as well. Vinnie is only stating the obvious. Sure we need some young talent to develop; I just can't stand that our brass let them go....huge risk. I can see next year being up and down but we need to do something sooner that your so called 3-5 year time frame.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 22, 2011 10:34 p.m.

A lot will depend on who we get in the draft and who we resign. If Okur can't play next year his contract may have insurance on it and give the Jazz some money to work with, with AK's contract expiring we should have about 8 to 10 mill. to work with. Letting some of the other vets go should give even more money, so KOC should have at least some moneys to work with to try to bring in some vet leadership and talent.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 22, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Oops, in stating that we would have 8 to 10 mil to work with regarding AK's contract, I was assuming and hoping they could resign him for 7 to 9 mil.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 23, 2011 12:16 a.m.

@amgolfer
    i know...it sucks too...but anything can happen during the off-season...and yes Veteran Leadership is what needed...that's probably why the brass opted to bring in Bell...the 3-5 year time frame is my estimate...im not paid to do this as a job...so im pretty sure it means zero...this is just an opinion of mine...if we really want to win now...we wouldn't have traded or we should have retained the pieces that were proven and working...it should have been minus Boozer Plus Al Jefferson, Hayward and Evans...instead..we went on a different direction...minus Brewer,Matthews,Korver,Boozer and D-Will...we actually took out most of the guys on the lineup who were on the western conference finals a few seasons back...so with that...it seems that the brass are rebuilding...and its pretty clear that they wanted to go young...if you want to have veteran leadership...you still need a guy who is still young enough to lead the squad...bell is too old...i dont think there is one out there that would fit the mold...

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    March 23, 2011 2:18 a.m.

after seeing what big al did after dwill left and without millsap, i'm pretty convinced the team can build around big al, it was like we saw the real big al for a minute but he has since gone back into hiding, he is not bold enough to take the team over, if jefferson ends up being a dissapointment it could be a 3-5 yr rebuild as we'll be with him for the next three years and then it could take a couple of years after that, so keep your fingers crossed that jefferson can be the go to guy.
    corbing talks about playing jazz bball, but does anyone really know what it is?
    jefferson is too passive to wrestle a leadership role, and who would want that anyway, corbin is going to talk jazz bball, he needs to preach it, i think we saw it when millsap was injured,
    its making jefferson accountable for 20 plus points a night, and he is very able to put those numbers up,
    then the second option is cj, who i also think can put up 20,
    and they compliment eachother,
    but everyone defers to millsap, that must stop.