BYU basketball: Cougars, 'Zags begin future WCC rivalry on Saturday

Comments

• Striker Omaha, NE
    March 18, 2011 11:07 a.m.

I would not be surprised if the committee set these seeds on purpose...to make for a good bball match up. They did make lots of errors with teams, so who knows. Jimmer needs to bring his A game and BYU needs to be very good on rebounding. They cannot be in foul trouble like the last game. This team is good enough to make it to the Sweet 16...they just need to play as a team and be smart and they can make it.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 18, 2011 11:09 a.m.

BYU will have to play bettter than they did last night to beat Gonzaga. They are capable of beating them if they can hit their season averages in most areas. It is hard to say how good Gonzaga is from last nights game since the St Johns team looked a little lost and flat most of the game. Kind of like BYU the first game without Davies against New Mexoco.
    Go Cougars!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    March 18, 2011 11:30 a.m.

Mark Few comes across as a really intelligent well spoken guy who knows what he is talking about. Great coaching match up.

Cougars had a lot of stupid fouls yesterday. They need to be mentally tougher tomorrow. Should be a fun game and a preview of things to come.

Go Jimmer!

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 18, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Love the "we have faith in our coaches" comment. Such a refreshing change from many college and prep players, and most pros. Detroit things the kid is speaking a foreign language.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 18, 2011 11:44 a.m.

With Gonzaga's high shooting percentage, BYU is dead. Someone please wake up Emery and Abuo and get those guys to pour in some points. Jimmer needs help!!!!!

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    March 18, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Dear international LDS Church membership: Looking for a couple of 7-footers to stand in the middle and contest shots. Scoring a basket or two on occasion is also desirable. Must have a big body. English speaking skills not required. Full scholarship for the right individuals. Please apply at BYU Basketball Office - Coach Dave Rose. Thank you.

• Bruce Angleton, TX
    March 18, 2011 12:39 p.m.

As a proud alum of both of these institutions, I expect the Zags to easily handle the Cougs.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 18, 2011 12:46 p.m.

Few is one of the best coaches in college basketball. He could coach anywhere if he wanted to. He likes Spokane.

Dave Rose will be outcoached tomorrow, no doubt. However, BYU should win the game if the bigs would stop the silly fouls.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    March 18, 2011 1:31 p.m.

I think we can all agree that BYU has to make shots to win. You cannot rebound made shots. But I disagree mightily that Rose will be outcoached. Rose is as good of coach as anyone. With Brandon, I'd be very confident, but without him, we have to make shots. I'm sure Jax, Noah and Charles know that.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 18, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Rose is the most predictable coach in the tournament. There is no creativity in his coaching. It's either man to man or 2 - 3 zone. The offense consists of 3 plays. They never press. They never trap.

You watch the game tomorrow and watch how much Few adjusts during the game plus how many different options he runs on defense and offense.

Few is head and shoulders above Rose.

But again, I think BYU will win because Jimmer is the best player in the tournament and Emery is a great sidekick.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 18, 2011 1:55 p.m.

@CJ

You and one or two Ute trolls are the only ones thinking Rose is not a good coach. Back up your post here. Rose gets a lot of props nationally and has the best record ever at BYU (30 wins most seasons). You've gotta have big guys in the middle who can score and rebound. We play with 4 guards and unless our perimeter game is on, we don't win. It's more down to passing and taking the right shot. Losing Colinsworth and Davies has nothing to do with Rose.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    March 18, 2011 2:21 p.m.

I laugh every time I think about people saying we did poorly going to the WCC. It will be so refreshing playing league teams who have classy coaches, players, and fans for a change.

If I could just figure out how to score tickets, I'd drive to Spokane every year to watch the game and cheer the Cougars. But if you weren't born with season tickets to the McCarthey Athletic Center, Fuggetaboutit.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    March 18, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Hopefully, we can make our layups tomorrow.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2011 2:45 p.m.

Gonzaga is a big team outrebounding St Johns 41-18 (12-4 in offensive rebounding). Gonzaga has a prescence they like to assert and I don't think BYU can handle that type of play well. They do have Jimmer of course so it's hardly worse than 50-50 odds of winning.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 18, 2011 2:45 p.m.

There is a diffence between being a good game-time coach and recruiting good players. He is a great recruiter. That I will give him. But Few will be the better coach tomorrow when the ball goes up.

Give me an example where Rose adapted during the game to how the game was being played? He coaches every game the same. Never makes adjustments at halftime. He reminds me of Kruger at UNLV and Sloan when he was with the Jazz. Robots.....

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 18, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Gonzaga is too tall inside. BYU - minus Brando Davies - are smallish inside. BYU will HAVE to be insanely hot from the outside - both Jimmer and Emery - to have any chance at all. Neither Jimmer or Emery shot the ball well last game so things will have to change in a hurry for the Y or it's lights out.

prediction: Gonzaga 75 BYU 65

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    March 18, 2011 2:57 p.m.

Emery needs to pump fake more often on his long shot opportunities and drive to the basket, just like he did ONCE against Wofford. He should be doing that at least 4-5 times a game, especially after missing 2-3 longs in a row. If he does he will produce more offense. Both BYU and Gonzage are capable of winning the next game. Whichever team wants it more and executes best will win. Abouo could be the difference maker, either way. Go Cougars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• majmajor Layton, UT
    March 18, 2011 3:02 p.m.

This match up is kind of funny.

If BYU loses (I hope not), BYU will actually get more tourney money. This happened when Utah move to the MWC, the money stays with the old conference (WAC).

Either way, this game is a win-win for BYU.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    March 18, 2011 3:05 p.m.

BYU prime advantage:
    Jimmer

Zag advantage:
    Rebounding

BYU prime disadvantage:
    Cold shooting in some games

Zag prime disadvantage:
    turnovers

BYU will win if:
    Emery and Abuou hit 40% of shots
    Jimmer stays around 30 points (about his average)
    Rebounders don't have silly fouls so they keep stay within 5 or so boards

Zags will win if:
    BYU doesn't do those things.

I suspect the Wofford game was like the TCU MWC tourney game and that the Zag game will be like the New Mexico game. More rest but even more motivation.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    March 18, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Jimmer sure gets alot of attention for his offense but the talking heads say BYU will lose because of Jimmers defense. I have to admit...It was nice to see Jimmer play a little defense against Wofford.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 18, 2011 3:49 p.m.

This game is epic. It's the beginning of what will be our new rival in the WCC. I suspect we will see these two teams battling for #1 versus #2 in the WCC most years. St. Mary's and Portland will have their years as well.

If we had Davies, this game would favor the Cougs. If we had Davies and C. Collinsworth, this game would be a no brainer. But with a four guard line-up for BYU, this game is a 50-50. It's not a typical #3 seed versus #11 seed. It's a great back court against a great front line. The media know it's going to be a great game, that's why they scheduled it at prime time.

If we hit 40% of our 3's, we will spread the floor enough to win the game. Jimmer will not have as much success driving through the lane with Zags big men as he did against Wofford. Let's hope we have our mojo like we did in the final games against UNM and WY and SDSU (game 2).

• Madden Herriman, UT
    March 18, 2011 5:00 p.m.

I think Rose is a great coach, but agree with CJ on the press and trap. Against teams with mediocre guards, you have to use your advantages by playing more pressing D. Not only does it cause turnovers, the refs see you as the more aggressive team and let a lot more contact go (K-State killed BYU that way last year).

Gonzaga is going to bring it, and I hope Coach Rose has the team bring it right back. Stay aggressive.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    March 18, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Cj, you better let the ute trolls know what you do, Rose is not a good coach and they should stop any all attempts to hire him to resurrect their dead basketball program. I believe in Rose but even he and his talents can't perform that miracle. Winning 31 games and not able to adapt, funny.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    March 18, 2011 5:33 p.m.

to CJ Miles - I can give you 10 examples of where the Cougars second half performance was significantly better than their first half performance, including three that turned a halftime deficit into victories. But, clearly you're a better judge of coaches than those in charge of the Naismith Men's Coach of the Year, who have him as one of their finalists. Rose is widely respected as a very good coach by those who actually know basketball, and your comments clearly put you outside of that circle.

And who are all those stars he's recruited? Outside of Fredette, I don't think BYU has a single NBA prospect on the team, but they've won 30 games two years in a row? I think they consistently achieve above their talent level, and when that happens for several years in a row, it's the result of great coaching, plain and simple, and clear to anyone who's paying the slightest attention.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    March 18, 2011 6:16 p.m.

On paper this looks like a BYU loss. The talking heads blathering about how tough St Johns were and well, you know.

The Zags are on a roll, and the Cougs are small.

Spread 'em out and shoot the lights out, BYU wins. Let them pack the middle and miss from the perimeter, BYU loses.

And BYU might just lose anyway because the Zags are on a roll.

Fortunately, they'll actually play the game so we'll soon find out.

Sure wish we had Davies and Collinsworth (the big one). But we do have Jimmer. Maybe he has another miracle game in him. If he does, CBS execs will be dancing in the streets. Highest ratings yet - the Jimmer Show.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 18, 2011 6:36 p.m.

Few is better than Rose. Watch tomorrow and let me know after the game who was the better coach. Not who won the game but who coached the game better.

• BYU Red Squad Lafayette, Or
    March 18, 2011 7:13 p.m.

I'm just looking forward to the rematch of SDSU and BYU! Go MWC, (this year anyway)!

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 18, 2011 8:27 p.m.

I would love to see the cougs win tomorrow but I don't see it happening. Gonzaga is too big and talented. Without Davies & Chris Collensworth we don't have any size to compete around the basket.
    We could win if we shoot lights out and get positive contributions from Emery, Abuo, Hartsock and Mag or Rogers but they haven't all played well together too many times this year. Coming up with steals/turnovers could help, if we can convert. An uptempo game would be helpful.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 18, 2011 8:29 p.m.

I guess because BYU won that first game and didn't end the season one and done, the ute trolls have been pretty quiet.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 18, 2011 9:41 p.m.

Gonzaga turned the ball over 20 times against St. John's. If they do that against BYU, they may be in trouble.

I don't know how this game will turn out. It could be a blowout in BYU's favor. It could be a tight game. Or Gonzaga could blow out BYU (cold shooting again would do it). I would love it if it was the 1st option. I would be perfectly fine with the second option, win or lose. I would be severely disappointed in the last.

Go make us proud BYU. Just please do NOT play like UNLV did tonight.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    March 18, 2011 9:42 p.m.

CJ Miles - no one said Few wasn't a great coach, or that Rose was better than Few. Everyone here is merely challenging your ridiculously ignorant claim that Rose is not a good coach who can't make adjustments to win games, and only wins games because of all the star power he has supposedly recruited. By any and all coaching standards, Rose is a fantastic coach that BYU is lucky to have. That Few MIGHT be better than Rose does not diminish his status at all.

Actually, considering Gonzaga's record this year, which is worse than BYU's despite a lower RPI and SOS, and the incredible talent they appeared to have in last night's game against St. John's, it tells me that Rose has done much more, with less, than Few, so your conclusion that Few is so decidedly better than Rose is certainly debatable. Admittedly, Fredette alone makes up for a lot of BYU's offensive weaknesses, but the rest of the team makes much of Fredette's success possible with good defense, rebounding, hustle, etc. - all the stuff that works because of GREAT COACHING!

• Murray Dad Murray, UT
    March 18, 2011 9:43 p.m.

Go Bulldogs!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 18, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Here's the really scare thing. This really will be a look into the future, since this Gonzaga team only has one senior on it. We'll be seeing pretty much the exact same team at least twice next season. So we'll have a good idea what to expect from them in the future.

Without Fredette and Emery, what will BYU look like next year?

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    March 18, 2011 9:55 p.m.

To Murray Dad - in just two words you managed to expose your small, blind, bitter, pointless animosity toward a good and decent team of young men who deserve local support. Very pithy.

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    March 18, 2011 10:21 p.m.

Rivalry? Doesn't a rivalry have to prove to be competitive over time to be a rivalry? :) @DSB in a childish, non-thought out, single sentence you have managed to show everyone how childish and presumptuous local "every one should see it as I do" attitudes are! There can't be Gonzaga fans here that want to root for them? Anyone doing so is automatically "small, blind, bitter, pointless?" Talk about bitter, small and childish! I am local and I am ONLY pulling for Kansas and Texas! But because you are a BYU fan and I live 25 miles from the campus and because they are a "good and decent" team, they deserve or must have my support? Oh, and by the way, in case you think I am bitter over something, I can't stand the Utah basketball program!

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    March 18, 2011 11:00 p.m.

It is easy to be a great coach when your players make the shots.

• Alberta Reader magrath, ab
    March 18, 2011 11:00 p.m.

Where is Chris and Hedge?
    PLEASE make a comment on how BYU will lose so in fact they will win.
    Please we need you now

• Bronco Loco Henderson, NV
    March 18, 2011 11:11 p.m.

BYU and Gonzaga will also be fighting for the lone bid to the NCAA Tournament from the WCC.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    March 18, 2011 11:27 p.m.

@Captain L....Don't worry, when BYU loses they will be out in full force. BYU might win tomorrow but moving forward will be a tall order they won't be able to fulfill. Who knows, they could get lucky.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 18, 2011 11:40 p.m.

@bronco loco
    The WCC will have 2 or 3 bids most year. SMU should have gotten a big this year, instead of Georgia. Portland is another team that is coming on strong.

WCC will be a stronger basketball conference than the MWC next year.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    March 19, 2011 8:34 a.m.

To Weber fan - welcome to the comment boards. If you have followed comments in the slightest, you would know that Murray Dad has an irrational hatred of BYU, and only posts snarky comments as put-downs of BYU. I'm quite positive he's no Spokane native or Gonzaga fan - just a typical BYU hater. Seems to me you're the presumptuous one here.

Good for you for having loyalties - I don't think anyone holds that against you, even if you cheer for your teams when they go up against our local ones. I'm all for friendly rivalries. Have some class about it though, and if Utah has a good year and aren't up against Texas or Kansas, is it really too much to ask that you either support a local product or just keep quiet? Why be a hater?

I know it's just too much to ask for some people, especially including (as we all know), Hedgie and Chris B, and less often Murray Dad.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    March 19, 2011 8:46 a.m.

To Weber fan - welcome to the comment boards. If you have followed comments in the slightest, you would know that Murray Dad has an irrational hatred of BYU, and only posts snarky comments as put-downs of BYU. I'm quite positive he's no Spokane native or Gonzaga fan - just a typical BYU hater. Seems to me you're the presumptuous one here, especially considering your unfounded generalized slam on the attitude of local people.

Good for you for having loyalties - I don't think anyone begrudges you that, even if you cheer for your teams when they go up against our local ones. I'm all for friendly rivalries. Have some class about it though, and if Utah has a good year and isn't up against Texas or Kansas, is it really too much to ask that you either support a local product or just keep quiet? Why be a small, bitter, pointless hater?

• Bronco Loco Henderson, NV
    March 19, 2011 10:13 a.m.

@CougFaninTX

I think you're pretty optimistic about WCC basketball. You have to keep in mind most years WCC is ranked between 8-13 in conference rankings. With a conference ranking like that the WCC won't get 2-3 bids. Look at St. Mary's this year. The MWC is consistently ranked between 4-7 in most years and has usually gotten 2-3 bids with no problem. The core of the MWC is stronger than WCC. SDSU, UNLV, and New Mexico will usually be the big three. CSU looks promising too. The core of WCC will be BYU and Gonzaga but, if Rose leaves for a better job it will probably be Gonzaga. St. Mary's coach will eventually be leaving soon. I see the coaches of the big three of the MWC sticking around since Alford and Kruger are paid over a million a year. Fisher has been at SDSU for almost 12 years and I don't see him leaving anytime soon. Oh, what if MWC makes a move for Gonzaga? A very real possibility.

• YtxPat Sugar Land, TX
    March 19, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Didn't Rose say at the half of the Wofford game that we need to go inside and press? Was that not an adjustment from the first half? I will be at the Bering Chapel on April 3rd to hear Rose speak at the fireside. I took classes with his brother Gordon at the Y. I have a hard time believing any Chris B rumor of Dave joing Chris Hill. I also grew up with Jeff Judkins. That is the person if anyone who is currently blue may go back to red. Seeing Kyle W and Norm C as red does not bother me either.

We would have had a better match up with St John's and the Zag's will be a good test, but we beat the Aztec's 2 out of 3 times and the Zag's are the same type of team.

Look for a repeat of the last New Mexico game or the first SDSU game.

Rebounds will be low.
    The Cougs will be hot!
    Few can't adjust the clock or the timer.
    Fredette is the game,
    we will win with the Jimmer!