Utah Jazz preparing for brutal stretch

Comments

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 17, 2011 4:16 p.m.

I think they should always play to win and to try to get into the playoffs, but I won't be too upset if this team doesn't make the playoffs and we end up with two lottery picks. We are young already and adding more young players is always a concern but we need talent and if nothing else it gives KOC more options to work with.
    I think we need to draft to fill the 3 spot with length, athleticism and shooting, I like Barnes, Jones(Baylor), Vesely, Jones(Kentucky). With the second pick (probably 13th or 12th) I wouldn't mind them going for Jimmer, he is a great shooter and he can penetrate and create. His D is the big question.
    With AK's contract expiring, (hope we can resign for 6to8 Mil.)and Okur's questionable health, the Jazz may be able to free up alot of money to go for experienced player(s)to fill some gaps.
    What players do some of you like?
    We may need to look at PG for the future too.

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    March 17, 2011 5:10 p.m.

This team has potential. Look at all the young talent we have, and we'll be adding more. Look what Favors can do at 19. And Hayward, Evans and the other young guys are getting minutes and can contribute. Just in time for the Lakers, Spurs and Mavs to get old and be on the decline, the Jazz will be surging over the next few years. I can't wait!

• scalman Temecula, CA
    March 17, 2011 6:15 p.m.

Captain: I think going with Jimmer with second pick is a possibility, but I would like to see the Jazz get either Barnes or Jonas V of Lithuania with one of the picks. Jonas V would be smart if Corbin and KOC decide Fes is not their answer for the C position (or even as a sold backup C). I would like to see the Jazz trade one of their picks this year for a pick next year, in hopes that a big man more to their liking than Jonas V might be available and also that gives them one more year to play and evaluate Fes. As for the PG position, it is lean in this years draft after the Duke guy. There also, the Jazz might be better off picking someone next year.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    March 17, 2011 6:29 p.m.

Kemba Walker of UConn is a possible pick for the Jazz. He is small but lightning quick. He is a junior, too, so he's had some good coaching by now. Maybe they should try to go Barnes/Walker. I like the SF combo of Hayward/Tomic for the future, though. The coming off season should bring surprises...hope they are good ones.

• josemb navotas, philippines
    March 17, 2011 7:56 p.m.

@scalman... you said one more year to evaluate fes? i've seen fes play for 3 years now. he's going nowhere. he just doesn't have the skills to be a starter or a reliever. sadly, he is just a 3rd string center. he and koofus couldn't even score at garbage time when koof was in utah. favors and okur(if he ever gets healthy again) can man the C position next season. who knows, the jazz may be able to draft a dominant big, also. and i hope the jazz draft a really good wing player that can shoot and defend. i've given up on the jazz this season but i'm optimistic that the jazz has a good future.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 17, 2011 11:28 p.m.

Even though I see alot of potential if Fes, I don't see the Jazz keeping him. Maybe it will be good for him to move on to a different team and see if he can get more PT, so he can develop.
    I hope the Jazz draft a long, athletic 3, those I mentioned seem to fit that category, Barnes isn't as tall & long, but he is very athletic and skilled, Vesely is 6'11 and plays the 3 on a top team in Europe, he runs the floor well, has a good motor and has good hops, he can shoot the 3 ok. Jones(Baylor) is 6'11" and has good ball handling skills, shoots from everywhere, good athlete, maybe the most potential of anyone in the draft. We do need a center but I don't know if there is one worth going after. I'd have to see or hear alot more about Walker to see which one (Jimmer or Walker) I think would be a good fit. I really like how Jimmer can shoot and the Jazz need shooters. Defense ?????????

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 17, 2011 11:46 p.m.

Kanter would be a good pick. He could replace Memo if Memo can't return. Think about a front line of AJ/Favors starting and Kanter/Millsap coming in.

Vesley could be a good alternative to Kanter is AK does not stay. Burks or Jimmer would be a good second pick.

Jimmer is much quicker and also much faster (when he wants to be) than most people realize. He can play in the NBA. If the Jazz run more up tempo with Harris, Jimmer makes some sense.

Further, Jimmer can develop his passing and PG skills. BYU does not ask him to defend or pass that much. He is not a true PG in their system.

He is about as fast and quick as DWill. I know a bunch of you will disagree but I watched him. He can move when he wants to. He is also DWill's size and is a better shooter. He lacks DWill's experience as a PG.

I think the Jazz do need a much better SG. Lets see how CJ plays the rest of the year. Hayward is a better SG than SF.

Replacing/Backing up AK is a major need.

• Seven27 Ogden, UT
    March 18, 2011 4:48 a.m.

@Bugoff

I would be careful in liking Fredette to DWill in every way except experience. Fredette does not have the same height/size as Deron. Deron is an amazing pro player when healthy. I think Fredette could make it in the NBA at some level, but it'll be interesting to see what he can do when he doesn't constantly have the ball in his hands. Have you noticed just how much he dribbles the ball?

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    March 18, 2011 7:58 a.m.

I compare Jimmer to Steve Nash of Phoenix. Jimmer is a pretty good ball handler like Nash, he can drive and kick, and he can hit the outside shot. I know Nash is an all star and I'm not suggested Jimmer will reach that level but I see some similarities in abilities. Teams playing BYU build a game plan to guard Jimmer and he is swarmed over because other teams know if they can slow him down the cubborad can be a little bare at times and they have a chance to win. In the NBA he will be matched against better players all the time but he will also be surrounded by other good players and won't be forced to do as much, or get double teamed all the time

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    March 18, 2011 8:49 a.m.

bugoff is in his own little world usggesting that Jimmer is same size as DWill. I am not sure how you get 6'1 190 lbs vs 6'4 220 as the same size. I can only imagine the same line of reasoning was used when he inaccurately thought Jimmer was a better shooter.

Although Jimmer is a shooter in college those rarely translate to be better shooters than all star guards in the NBA. There is a world of difference in the levels of play and for Bugoff to even suggest that a college player who hits a relatively low percetnage of his shots can be better then DWill is laughable.

Currently there is a lot of hope for the Jazz young players to develop but it would be nice to root for a team that is polished and plays well together and wasn't in the rebulding or maturing mode forever.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    March 18, 2011 9:00 a.m.

I compare Jimmer more to a JJ Redick,not bad,but not Williams or Nash either

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 18, 2011 9:26 a.m.

Doug: I know you want to rag on bugoff about his comparison but don't exagerate both ways, Jimmer is 6'2 and DWill is 6'3 and Jimmer does have a big frame and is/plays strong.
    I wouldn't you a top ten pick on Jimmer but using the second of our lottery picks on him may not be a bad idea, he can shoot and create we need shooters & creators. Any comparison to an AllStar is probably unrealistic but the way Jimmer handles the ball I can see how redliffs could see that Jimmer could end up playing like Nash, it's a stretch but feasable, if you have a little immagination.
    Your wrong about shooters not translating from college to the NBA, if your a good shooter you can shoot, it doesn't matter what level your playing at. Jimmer forces alot of shots with BYU and if he plays with a whole team of great players he won't be the volume shooter he is now and he will take shots within the offense and he will translate just fine to the NBA. Defense is the big question mark with Jimmer.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2011 9:45 a.m.

@Captain L
    "Your wrong about shooters not translating from college to the NBA, if your a good shooter you can shoot, it doesn't matter what level your playing at."

Ya... just ask Adam Morrison and Morris Almond. Even Ronnie Price shot pretty well in college.

NBA is a faster pace and intimidates shooters.

• MagnaMain Magna, UT
    March 18, 2011 9:52 a.m.

In light of CJ's good performance from the other night, I won't bag on him today. Rather, since a few commentors on here are 'name-dropping' players that the Jazz should draft, let me offer this name for one of the Jazz's potential draftees: Kenneth Faried. Don't know who he is? Ask Rick Pitino's Cardinals if they do or not.

• blauch Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2011 10:10 a.m.

Harrison is my top player. Hopefully NC lays an egg today.
    Jimmer with the second pick would be great - if he is there. Anyone who think Jimmer can't be a point guard in the NBA is nuts. In the NBA if you can make it to the rim you can be successful. The NBA defense is better but Jimmer won't be doubled teamed as much and the current rules in the NBA are pretty much don't touch a guard. Player without elite athletic ability who are very successful
    Nash, Parker, Nelson and Curry. And none of these guys are considered great defensive players.
    Redick is a great shooter, but he cannot get to the basket. He is not Jimmer

The Player I think Jimmers games translate to is Jameer Nelson (on Orlando)

As far a the play-off push
    Actually the Next 3 games - Houston, Memphis and New Orleans are really the only stretch that the Jazz needs to win. If they win all 3 they have a chance to make the playoff if not - They are pretty much done. Considering the rest of their schedule is so difficult.

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    March 18, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Hey Price is returning, suddenly all of the Jazz problems are solved! We are going to make the playoffs for sure now!

The Jazz don't need any tweeners or back-ups. We need athletes. I'd take Leonard of SDSU before I'd take Jimmer, a shooting guard in a point guard's body. We need more Ron Artest defensive types, instead of no defense. Jimmer's testing in the speed, agility and jumping categories could push him from the lotto to the twenties. When it comes to Jimmer, don't say D-will, say Mark Jackson.

• WyattInDenver Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    March 18, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Faried would be cool. although the only game i have ever watched of him was yesterday, his stats show he can rebound though, the Jazz can use that. What is the word on Tomic coming over? with the draft picks next year, Hayward, Favors, and Tomic/Evans I am hoping the Jazz have a good team without the years of a disapointing re-building team upcoming. granted the jazz don't have an allstar, but AJ's looking good, and Favors keeps getting compared to Love.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    March 18, 2011 11:07 a.m.

@houdini
    JJ Redick, really? Maybe I need to watch some game film but to me Redick is a good shooter like about a million other guys in the NBA (he is a white shooter though). Jimmer is a scorer. In fact I think Redick might even be a better shooter than Jimmer. But Jimmer is creative and has the ability to score. When he gets doubled he will split the double team and drive the lane ala Nash. He can score or dish off to another open player ala Nash. And he can hit the open 3 ala Nash. I see Redick bombimg away, and he is good, but I don't see a big similarity to Jimmer imho.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 18, 2011 11:24 a.m.

Play the young players as much as you can the rest of the year and don't worry about the playoffs. They have as much chance of getting you there as the vetrans anyway. Kirilenko, Elson and Maybe Okur will be gone next year. We don't need price anymore but I think Raja would be good to hang onto for another year to see how his health holds up.
    Trade one of the lottery picks for a decent center or good small forward or both for a good, young center. I would like to see Bogut in Utah.
    Draft Jimmer if you have a pick out of the lottery(from a trade) and there is no-one else you love. He is a risk but so is everyone else after the first 5-10 picks.
    In fact, the Jazz should hire me since I know so much. hahaha!

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 18, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Please Don't compare Jimmer to Dwill, Nash or anyone else. Jimmer has a style all of his own. It's like trying to compare someone to Magic Johnson. There will never be another Magic Johnson.

Jimmer is the best college player I have ever watched play. That does not mean that he will be a good or great NBA player. But without any doubt, guys like Jimmer don't come along very often.

I believe because Jimmer can score in so many ways, that he will have a career in the NBA. But he may never be a starter or an all-star.

Jimmer is not a very good passer. But that skill could improve over time.

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    March 18, 2011 12:38 p.m.

Jameer Nelson. Instead the jazz drafted humphries and the guy from nevada. I would've drafted Jameer.

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    March 18, 2011 2:52 p.m.

@CJ....Jimmer, the best college player you have ever seen?? that might be your weakest post ever! Jimmer with all his greatness, is probably only going to take the cougs to the second rd of the tourney in his great college career. I wouldn't even put him over Ainge at this point, not to mention all those players who have taken their teams to a championship!

I do agree with your post, however, that it doesn't make sense to compare players to other players. D-will is Jason Kidd, except that he's not.

• Fuzzbrain Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 18, 2011 3:22 p.m.

I haven't watched Jimmer play too many times but I like how he finishes at the rim, although he does take a lot more outside shots than any NBA team will ever give him. I'm pretty sure that the biggest reason the Jazz would even consider drafting Fredette is because of the huge crowd of fans that he'll bring with him. That said, I think the Jazz need to draft for size first, followed by athleticism and shooting percentage. Being too small and too slow hasn't allowed them to keep up with the better teams in the league. They also need some star power, but Jefferson may actually get to that level soon (if he improves his defense).

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 18, 2011 3:36 p.m.

Other players had good players on their team. Ainge had much better team than Jimmer does. Don't get my wrong. I am not a BYU fan at all but Jimmer puts on a show when you watch him in person. I have watched him in the Mountain West Tournament the last two years and he does things that no one else can do. He makes Adam Morrison look like he couldn't play and Adam was considered a really good college player.

When Jimmer is on, he is unstoppable. Against New Mexico last week, he was unstoppable. Name a player in college that you can say that about? The only one who comes to mind lately was Curry at Davidson for a few games. Jimmer does it every game.

Would I draft Jimmer? No .....Not til the second round. But he is the best college player I have ever seen.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    March 18, 2011 4:41 p.m.

Jimmer Fredette = Jaycee Carroll. Where's Jaycee Carroll now? Oh yeah, in Spain, he wasn't drafted. Jimmer hype is just that, hype. Nuff said.

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    March 18, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Would that be Jaycee Carroll, who leads in scoring in one of those leagues over there! USU grad who is drawing comparisons to Fredette here.

Jimmer best in the country? Let's compare Kemba Walker's stats to Fredette.

Jimmer 35 minutes a game, 28.6 pts, 3.5 rbs, 4.3 assists, 1.3 steals, 3.5 turnovers, 45 percent from the field, 88 percent from the line, and 39 percent from 3. Plays in a two team or 3 team league.

Kemba 37 minutes a game, 23.4 pts, 5.4 rbs, 4.5 assts, 1.9 stls, 2.2 to's 43 percent, 80 percent and 34 percent from 3. Many game winning shots, his team won the conference tourney and plays in arguably the toughest conference in the country. I don't think Jimmer, who can't even put up the same assists,rebounds,steals and turnovers in a weaker league, would have the same success as Kemba if they were in the same league, let alone the game winning shots and plays.

I like Jimmer, but he is over-hyped! Prove me wrong vs Gonzaga Jimmer, then I might be a believer.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 18, 2011 7:20 p.m.

Jimmer probably has more athleticism than we give him credit for, kinda like Hayward (better athlete than I thought) but the thing that makes Jimmer good is how well he uses the stop and go and hesitation/change of direction plus he has unbelievable range. Time will tell but using our 2nd lottery pick for Jimmer, I think would be a good move. I wouldn't use the first one on him but we need a shooter and he can shoot. He doesn't have the size Korver has, but I think he can shoot like Korver. Jimmer can do alot more with the ball than Korver can/could do and if others on his team can create and get him open looks, I think Jimmer would be a great asset.I
    I think we need Barnes, Jones or Vesely, I hope one of them will still be around when we draft at #6 or 7.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    March 19, 2011 1:30 p.m.

I think Evans has been a solid player for the Jazz....I am not sure what is wrong with Fesenko...He has not developed in three years.
    I personally saw and like Tomic...He is talented, maybe a little too skinny, but
    cerntainly talented.