Utah Jazz: Team adamant it hasn't quit

Comments

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    March 14, 2011 12:47 a.m.

The Jazz players haven't quit. They just have a lot of problems that need to be overcome. Unfortunately, overcoming all them is not going to happen this year.

I think the best decision the Jazz could make is to allow the injured players to completely heal and play the young/new guys as much as possible. If that combination works to get them in the playoffs great! If they don't make the NBA playoffs at least Favors, Harris, Hayward, Cousin and Evans will be getting valuable experience for next season.

Imagine how dangerous the Jazz might be if they make the playoffs and get Millsap, Okur, Kirilenko and Price back playing again but at full speed, with backup players who by then would have more than 15 games experience?

• josemb navotas, philippines
    March 14, 2011 3:04 a.m.

37-17 in the first quarter... if that isn't quitting, i don't know what is.

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    March 14, 2011 3:14 a.m.

Well they may say they have not quit but they do not look hungry enough to win. Even back when the Jazz used to loose with Jerry they at least had to play all 48 min. I would enjoy watching the Jazz if it looked like they just wanted to play even if they got beat. It seems like when things don't go there way they just give up too easy.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    March 14, 2011 7:00 a.m.

The stats at the end are telling. In the last 27 games, five teams have played worse than the Jazz. 27 games are really more than enough time to evaluate this team. There are currently five teams worse than the Jazz right now. Let's work to get that number to six or seven teams before the end of the season. Next season, let's hope that we can put 10 or maybe 12 teams in the rear view mirror. This is rebuilding. This is post Sloan, Boozer and Williams--and it's going to be tough. Go Jazz!

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    March 14, 2011 8:26 a.m.

rvalens2:
    I do not think anyone would be afraid of Ronnie Price injured or not.

I am not sure that physical healing is what is needed on the Jazz. If I was Millsap I wouldnot have a healthy knee for a couple more months. Who wants to play with that group of guys who hang their heads and give up...in the first quarter?

The Jazz fans have been spoiled but we would still like to see some hustle and fight in the group. The Jazz resemble cooked spaghetti now with very little backbone and nobody responsible for the mess.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    March 14, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Let's not kid ourselves.... they've quit. They are no fun to watch, and I am so glad that baseball season is about to begin!

• Steve Jensen Herriman, UT
    March 14, 2011 8:52 a.m.

Jazz might as well tank the rest of the season and get a better draft pick, they are going to get out of the first round even if they make the playoffs. With a Jazz, New Jersey's & Golden St. draft picks they could pick up a really good player or two. Plus AK's large contract is coming off the books (& Memo's next year)- they could sign a top free agent.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    March 14, 2011 9:01 a.m.

I don`t think they`ve all quit,but it`s hard when even one player slacks on defense,it`s easy for the others to start slacking also,I agree,time to give the rooks/youngins some major minutes,will help them and the team down the road,rooting for Philly...

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    March 14, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Quit? Maybe. Or maybe low basketball IQ (read not very smart). Takes more than effort and physical talent to win at that level. Years ago, Sloan used to say that when he called a time-out, only one person listened in the huddle.....Stockton.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    March 14, 2011 9:06 a.m.

As I look at the Jazz and their decline there is one thing that stands out to me. Early in the season the ball was moving on offense, with "everyone" invlolved. Since that time it started to turn south when D-Will and big Al began to turn it into a 2 man game, leaving out other players unless the 1st & 2nd option broke down. Now what we have is big Al has become a black hole, never passing even out of a double team. That selfish play causes the other players to start taking shots just to get a few and bingo the team cohesion and moving the ball to the open man is lost. On defense we are not guarding our assigned man or area, instead we are always sucking into the middle of the key when anyone penetrates leaving wide open players on the perimeter beyond the 3 point line and inside without a defender within 5-8 feet of them. Of course they will be open, just stay attached more to your man and leave the penetration up to the inside big men for help, but stay out on your men!

• Gifford VanBuren Holladay, UT
    March 14, 2011 9:06 a.m.

AK: I don't think lack of effort is the problem...I shoot the ball every time I touch it. It doesn't matter if I'm not even open or way beyond my range I just let it fly. So yeah, I'm giving 110% effort.

• artinnature Payson, UT
    March 14, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Sounds to me like it is the fans who have quit. Come on guys, we have had to be patient before and been rewarded with good results.

• duke5 vancouver, wa
    March 14, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Let's be a little more specific. I think the Jazz are really weak regarding talent. Some of the players have quit and it shows by their failing to play and give it their all on a consistant basis. Equally important, Greg and KOC need to be evaluated. By their actions in dismantling a good team really shows they are the ones who have quit.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    March 14, 2011 9:31 a.m.

The reason this team is so horrendous the past 3 or 3 months is because they have quit playing team ball. When they were passing to whoever was open and moving the ball they were successful, now they are letting 1 or 2 players get the ball and the rest are standing and watching. It started when D-Will & Big Al started playing 2 man ball in the pick & roll. Now it's big Al getting the ball and instead of passing out of a double team he holds the ball manuvering trying to get his shot off instead of passing right out of the double team when it comes. Start passing the ball and moving guys. On defense stay out on your man even when penetration comes, let the big guys inside slide over and you switch to their man if you get beat. Quit sucking towards the key when penetration happens. Big Al start passing out of the double team and move the ball to the open man. Ball movement has stopped. Just casting up shots is not team basketball. Take it to the hole if stopped pass out and "move" the ball.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 14, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Favors needs alot of playing time, get him in there and make him the focus of the offense and give him experience so he can see the things he needs to work on this summer.
    Hayward has shown signs of coming around but he needs to be told to be aggressive and attack and shoot more, if he does he will get a feel for what he needs to do to be more productive.
    I love Evans athleticism but he is so light, he gets pushed around like crazy, he needs to shoot from 15 to 18 ft and make that something the defense needs to fear and that might open things up for drives to the hole.
    If CJ is going to be a part of this teams future he needs to take more of a leadership role and be more responsible for how things go on the court. He needs to show he can be someone they can count on. Probably won't happen but he needs to see that that is something he needs to assert himself at.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 14, 2011 9:51 a.m.

The Jazz have lost 20 of 27 games (7-27), including going 3-10 since Jerry Sloan abruptly resigned and 3-7 since team leader and star Deron Williams.

Things were actually worse before Sloan retired (4-17). In spite of trying to add 2 new players and also losing DWill the Jazz are better since he left (3-7 vs 4-20). These figures do not adjust for strength of schedule.

The erratic lethargic play has periodically been evident for the last 2 months. In most games the 1Q was a disaster. That seemed to get fixed by Corbin to some extent. Further, AJ is playing much better and that is a Corbin adjustment that gets him the ball much closer to the rim.

The Millsap injury is a major hit and allows teams to focus on AJ and force the guards to shoot.

The D has been bad for months. That needs adjustment. At the first of the year the D was pretty good. Without Millsap/AK the interior D will be weaker/disorganized. Evans/Favors will not know the when to switch.

Some of the problems right now stem from rookies/new players learning complex systems.

• NYJazzFan East Elmhurst, NY
    March 14, 2011 10:06 a.m.

The team hasnt quit, the coaching is solid. The team just doesnt have the talent. I blame all of this on KOC. How or why? Because if KOC had informed Sloan of his plan to trade Williams, Sloan might have stayed. Now the team is terrible, the coach is trying to learn on the fly and some of the players seem disinterested... I did lose a great amount of respect for Sloan due to his quitting.. I am still shocked that he quit on the team.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    March 14, 2011 10:58 a.m.

I don't think the Jazz have quit. Maybe some players have given up, especially if they know they are not going to be a part of this team next year. Players know, agents already know, the writing is on the wall for a couple of guys, so that player will "Ball hog", and try and pad his stats. Why do you think this team is not sharing the ball? If I was a player and I knew that I was auditioning for another NBA team, then I would be helping my team win games. Hopefully the right guys get the right minutes down the stretch. If AK and Bell are going to get a bulk of minutes, they better start making some jump shots, because I for one would rather watch the rookies play and learn the game, rather than watch AK jack up jumpers and Bell always getting split by defender and always a step slower than whoever he is guarding that night.
    Keep fighting, don't quit! GO JAZZ!

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Glad to hear they haven't quit. As a fan, I have.

Nice work KOC.

• holt56 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:22 a.m.

rvalens2, NBA teams settle into a set 8 player rotation as they get closer to the playoffs. This is to ensure the best players are in the best position to win as the postseason begins. Your suggestion would throw all that out the window, allowing less talented players to finish out the season, hoping they get the team into the playoffs, only to be benched for the "healed" starters, who would be out of playing shape and out of practice. Players who sit on the bench for two or three weeks would not even begin to successfully compete in the ramped up playing level of the NBA playoffs. Corbin has a special challenge in this regard. The team he wants to use cannot play together, and what he has left is not NBA playoff caliber players.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 14, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Stop the playoff talk. This team will be lucky to win 3 more games the rest of the year. They are not going to the playoffs. Corbin has made sure of that.

This team couldn't be any worse. Time for a coaching change. All the players are under contract, so you can't fire them. Best to fire the coach at this point.

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    March 14, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Your nuts C.J., your boy for one is not signed for nexr year, A.K. isn't, neither is Price, Elson, and Fesenko, what are you talking about let all of them go and Corbin will be fine. A few trades maybe using draft picks and we are in business, quit the coach's fault bull!

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    March 14, 2011 1:17 p.m.

It's like watching a life long friend die slowly of cancer. Chemotherapy is the only way to stop cancer. The team has to be analyzed to see how chemo would work. AJ and AK appear to have heart. I don't see any other quotes from any other players. They are both playing hard with noticeable shortcomings since when the turmoil broke out. That can be fixed. The heart of the other players cannot be fixed. You have several young players who can be developed. Favors would appear to be a future superstar. The answer for him would be for Karl Malone to offer him special coaching which would include character development 101 for a 19 year old. The pieces are there. Come on Corbin! Put it together!

• Jazzguru Provo, UT
    March 14, 2011 1:48 p.m.

I am not sure I can say the Jazz have quit, but I do not think they play hard all the time either. Why can a team like Minnesota shoot 60%? Not to mention put up over 60 points in each half? That comes down to not playing hard. If the Jazz played motivated and hard, they would be doing better. Teams continue to light them up from down town, and they cannot defend the pick and roll. I think Bell and Elson should play very sparingly as they are not in team's long term plans, but yet Bell is a good mentor so he is an asset to the team. I think the Jazz really lack heart right now and to be fair, maybe it is not heart as much as it is grit, I mean given the 180 they have done from the start of the year, maybe it is just too much to take in right now and they will be more accustomed to the situation by next year. Go Jazz!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 14, 2011 2:20 p.m.

I am reserving judgement until next year. I still think the Deron Williams trade was brilliant with a great deal of up-side. Raja has not paid off, Okur situation is dissapointing and the other injuries have been killers. AK gone next year and hopefully they can buy out Raja's contract. Also, we don't need price anymore. I like the rest of the roster and think they could put together another trade to go along with the draft this summer. We have young, talented players and can get more. Let them play and they could be very good in a year or two.

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Jazz were never as good as that 27-13 mirage, which was mainly due to unsustainable, heroic efforts by DW & Sap, as well as great bench play that was destroyed when Memo was idiotically rushed back far to soon. With all the changes, and now Sap's injury...

The defense & perimeter play atrocious on all levels, Raja (bless him) is done, time to give the kids some quality minutes and see what they have. Insane to play Al 44:44 in a blowout loss. What good is losing 4 straight by 20+ to the Spurs going to do, even if they do miracuously catch fire and sneak in?

But with the remaining schedule, nobody needs to worry about that.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    March 14, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Wow! Lots of negative comments.

I guess I'm just a glass half-full sort guy ... well maybe in this case it's 1/4 full. In any event, I see a lot of reasons for next season's team to be much improved. I also believe we attract what we put out. Spew negativity and it's what you get back.

I may be accused of seeing the Jazz through thick "rose colored" glasses but better that than having a "dark cloud of doom" following me around. Besides folks basketball is just a game. When the Jazz lose that doesn't make any of us losers ... just unhappy fans.

• Jazzguru Provo, UT
    March 14, 2011 2:45 p.m.

I am not looking at it from a negative standpoint, just simply stating the Minnesota effort was unaccpetable. And yeah, it is a game, I will agree, but if I am going to watch a team and even spend money on going to a game, I at least want to see a solid effort you know what I mean? I am with you though, I thnk the team will get better and I just think the Jazz are still recovering from so much change. Defense, and intensity need to be a motto of this team though, too many uncontested 3 pointers and scrub players having their career night against the Jazz.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Of course they've quit. Look at all the "injuries" that keep multiple players from playing. Colds. Turf toes. Sore backs. Diarrhea. Other than Milsap and Jefferson, they're looking for reasons not to play.

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    March 14, 2011 5:32 p.m.

If it plays like a quitter, shoots like a quitter, defends and rebounds like a quitter, even losing like a quitter then By Jimmeny it's a quitter. It's a little bit tough to get together when the bench and on court talent has been ripped right out of the Jazz, but that's getting O'Conner-ed for ya. This would be a super time to dump the name that clearly in opposition to reality. Since we're starting from the bottom anyway, trade the 'Jazz" to New Orleans for the "Hornets" (if that isn't an Utah name, you don't know Deseret son). If some are opposed to the Mormon pioneers beehive deal*, we do a three-way, Utah sends Jazz to NO, NO sends Hornets to Charlotte, Charlotte sends Bobcats to Utah, easy and we have Utah ties to Bobcats.
    I checked with the league office and Dave (Stern) said it was brilliant, he's all for it.

*As in let's forget the Pioneers, from way back 160 years ago, but hang onto Polygamy from way back, 120 years ago to needle the faithful.

• ram Saint George, UT
    March 14, 2011 5:35 p.m.

the jazz have not quit could fooled me

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    March 14, 2011 5:47 p.m.

I know that I've been a bit down on the Jazz, but going through this adversity can make them better players in the future. Also they're only 2 games behind the 8th spot, they can still do it. We believe in you!