Utah

Mormon missionaries in Sendai OK

Comments

• thelogicalone salt lake city, UT
    March 12, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Wonderful news! Prayers are answered, people were blessed, miracles happened. These missionaries will now work miracles as they continue to serve the Japanese people.

• korn75 Cedar Hills, UT
    March 12, 2011 12:46 p.m.

• Bob Cratchet Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2011 1:06 p.m.

Re korn75:

"Oh brother. Hundreds of people are confirmed dead. Thousands more are missing. A nuclear power plant is at a risk of a meltdown and there are unreal amounts of damage.... yet you say "prayers were answered, people were blessed"??? UNBELIEVABLE. I'm sure the poor people of Japan would be so happy to that...

I'm so sorry to everyone in Japan who has been affected and/or killed by this TERRIBLE disaster. "

It was a terrible tragedy but to believe that no one was blessed during it or prayers were not answered is ridiculous. I have family that is in the Sendai mission and I and my family have been praying for them. Our prayers have been answered now that we have heard from them, and they shared how they had been blessed and protected so they weren't injured. Seeing the hand of the Lord in a time of crisis is common, and it doesn't take away from the magnitude of the disaster

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 12, 2011 1:13 p.m.

korn, my heart aches for the destruction and death and potential danger for the people in Japan. But also my heart rejoices that these young men and woman who are thousands of miles from home and doing a service are safe. If I had a family member there and they survived, yes my prayers would be answered and I would rejoice, but also my heart would ache for those that didn't survive. korn75, you are the one out of line here, every mother and that has sent a child on a mission feels relief and joy for the mothers and fathers that know that their child is alive today. This article was about the missionaries who had not been accounted for, so the person who was posting about being happy was commenting on this article. If you are not happy that they are OK, then you probably should not post here.

• K Mchenry, IL
    March 12, 2011 1:14 p.m.

It's ongoing tragedy. Safe is a relative term right now. This isn't over.

Yes I can imagine good to hear loved ones still with us.

• korn75 Cedar Hills, UT
    March 12, 2011 2:48 p.m.

MoJules - You're right. This is the Deseret News afterall. If I don't agree with the church and it's members, I'm probably not welcome.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2011 2:50 p.m.

"It was a terrible tragedy but to believe that no one was blessed during it or prayers were not answered is ridiculous."

It's not that rediculous a thought, and it's easiest to explain by reversing the scenario. What if one of the missionaries was among the victims? Are we going to say that God caused that? That he didn't answer prayers? That people just didn't pray for that particular missionary? Was that missionary cursed instead of blessed?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2011 2:59 p.m.

But don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the missioanries are alright and hope that the casualty count stops climbing (though I'm aware that that's unlikely to be the case for some time). I'm just saying that one person's "our prayers were answered and God gave him/her protection" is another person's "why didn't God answer our prayers?".

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    March 12, 2011 3:31 p.m.

@alt134

You're overthinking it.

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    March 12, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Maybe for that mother or father, his/her prayer was answered. Yes, the death troll is sad and it hurts too but if you have a loved one there, maybe the words would had made more sense to you. And I am pretty sure, those who were praying for their missionaries, are still praying for the people of Japan so they can overcome this tragedy. I am sure they will rejoice with every person who is found and they will pray for every one who is still missing.

• VA Saint Chester, VA
    March 12, 2011 5:49 p.m.

Wow, you negative posters. It is a news story that means a lot to many people, and you do not need to write a post if you are going to be mean spirited.
    I am grateful that our missionaries are safe, and I continue to pray for the people of Japan to have strength and fortitude through this devastating disaster.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 12, 2011 5:50 p.m.

This morning when I woke up and saw the news that 9500 people were missing, and I knew that the epicenter was by Sandai, and that they had not accounted yet for those missionaries. I really thought that they had not made it and was so glad to read this article. I will also be glad to hear of the LDS members in Japan and the people who are from Utah, of all religions and hear if they are safe. But if lives have been lost, I also hope for comfort and help to those people. And what I can do is pray for them. Most of the people in Japan are not Christian, but I don't think that they are going to mind Christian people praying for them.

• Sinder Stansbury Park, Ut
    March 12, 2011 8:01 p.m.

Alt134 is not over thinking it. Too many don't think it through enough. Why does God only get praised for good things that happen? I'm sorry, but the "Mysterious ways" excuse just doesn't cut it for a reason to murder thousands of people. Missionaries are safe, great, so a few prayers were answered...it's just too bad about all those others that were ignored.

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    March 12, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Re korn75:
    I dont know a single person who is not praying for every person in Japan.
    What a selfish and careless attack. I hope your heart will change as I pray for you also. Our church does not teach hate and were are taught to pray for our enemies and accusers also as well as love them.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 12, 2011 9:07 p.m.

korn, no one said you were not welcome, please understand that there is great anxiety for everyone involved in this, but when someone has a connection, then they are focused on those they feel connected to. Say the Utah Jazz were playing an off season game in Japan, and this happened, we would all be relieved to hear of their safety, yet sad for the loss of others.

PS/ Deseret News, I do not try to attack or say things that are sarcastic, I try to be very polite in replies and you rejected a comment I had made in here. I had another one where I listed a website for indexing and so I wrote to you and you said, your welcome to re post, well that is fine when I know which one was rejected, but if I have made 3 or 4 posts, I am clueless, please send a copy of the post, then I can figure out what is wrong, or not and re post it.

• Kramer's Corner Penryn, CA
    March 12, 2011 9:50 p.m.

Keep focus and don't be troubled by those filled with contention. I was thrilled to see that the missionaries are safe.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    March 13, 2011 12:53 a.m.

all the members of the Catholic church are all accounted for also

• Serenity Manti, UT
    March 13, 2011 7:54 a.m.

korn 75. This is the Deseret News afterall. If I don't agree with the church and it's members, I'm probably not welcome.

Sorry you feel that way. Des News is not responsible for what people post as everyone is allowed to their own feelings. But the parents and relatives of the missionaries over there are more concerned about their own sons and daughters then the masses of other victims. Wouldn't you be if you had a son over there now and did not hear from him? Would you not be praying for him and hoping for a miracle? If he were found safe among the destruction, would you not consider it a miracle? Please understand personal ties and family ties.
    We pray for the people of Japan and the Church will do everything to help the victims, as it always does. But please don't condemn the parents of the sons and daughters serving missions in Sendai for being very thankful that their children are safe.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    March 13, 2011 9:02 a.m.

To Serenity: Deseret New is responsible for what people post because they can and do refuse to post some comments.

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    March 13, 2011 1:12 p.m.

It is a wonderful miracle for any who survived that horrendous tragedy. Plate tectonics cause earthquakes not God. Not normally anyway. We are here to deal with life and life includes both miracles and tragedies. Wouldn't we be ungrateful to not feel joy for the miracles?
    The joy is for this mortal life as well. It has a somewhat 'selfish' side in wanting those we love and care for to be with us as long as possible but we do understand that the greater joy is for eternal life not this mortal life. There is great sadness knowing that the ones who lost their life have people who love them and feel a devastating loss.
    Is it so wrong to be happy the ones we care for were saved from death? I dont think so. That happiness does not mean we are uncaring about those who died.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    March 13, 2011 2:30 p.m.

In such crisis situations, our LDS hearts and prayers (and relief efforts) should always go out, not just for OUR missionaries - or even for OUR fellow church members - but for all those affected.

I know that the prayers I've heard in my family and at Church this Sunday were certainly not focused just on our missionaries.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    March 14, 2011 12:22 a.m.

to In Arizona: Deseret New is responsible for what people post because they can and do refuse to post some comments.

Actually, Deseret News does monitor comments. But they do print people's opinions. They are not responsible how people feel and they print all sorts of comments from Mormons and non-Mormons alike; they print the pros and cons to every subject. If the submitters present nonabusive, inoffensive views in 200 words or less, they will post it. They put the rules for posting on the page where the posts for publishing are typed.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    March 14, 2011 8:06 a.m.

The Military also releases statements regarding their American Servicemen and Women.

Every time events like this take place, it stands to reason, the locals want to know how their loved ones are doing.

It does not mean they're only thinking of themselves, nor does it mean their prayers and thoughts and empathy are not also being directred at those they do not know.

And yet, predictably, every time, the Critics come out of their woodwork, once again accusing those concerned for Their Family & Friends as being narcisistic and heartless.

Same old Same old

Just read an article from a Tulsa Oklahoma paper commenting on Noah Hartsog of BYU and how he is doing. Local papers/media report on things which pertain to their citizens and community all the time.

Just more nitpicky "Nattering Nabobs of Negativism"....S. Agnew