BYU notebook: Brandon Davies' absence makes a noticeable difference

Comments

• Ace Farmington, UT
    March 10, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Fact check: "BYU guard Jimmer Fredette scored 33 and 38 points, respectively, in the Cougars' two regular-season victories over TCU." Actually, Jimmer scored 23 and 21. I'm not sure what stats you are looking at, Jeff.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    March 10, 2011 11:09 p.m.

That absence you are just now noticing ? For real ? Hello this story has been national sport news for the last several weeks and you are now stating the obvious. I don't get it, where have you been under a rock or what.

Poly Cougar Nation

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 11, 2011 6:42 a.m.

"BYU isn't the same team without Brandon Davies." Ya think? They can't jell as a smooth running team in time. It's too late to fully adjust and play together. The season will come to an end earlier than most had hoped.

• IBleedBlue Provo, Utah
    March 11, 2011 9:26 a.m.

I understand that this article was written because of comments made by TCU players, but the title and message are laughable. Yep, we're missing Davies. Newsflash. Not sure if you missed that in the New Mexico or Wyoming games. Thanks for the heads up.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    March 11, 2011 11:10 a.m.

Yes, we all know BYU isn't the same team without their leading rebounder and 3rd leading scorer, but that doesn't mean the Cougars can't still make some noise in the post season.

Like any other good team would do, the Cougars will have to find ways to compensate for the loss of Davies.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 11, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Jimmers scoring struggle against TCU yesterday had nothing to do with Davies. Fredette shot poorly and missed several wide open 3's. He also missed a few layups and 12 foot shots he would normally make. Emery was even worse. They got over 30 between them. If BYU can shoot their season average percentage in field goal's, 3's and Free throws they have a great shot at winning this tournament. If the guards get over 40 pts and Abouo, Hartstock or Collinsworth step up, I think BYU will beat NM today. I also think Rogers is a bom waiting to go off. I wish Rose would leave him in for 8-10 minutes and let him work the bugs out of his shot.
    Go Cougars!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 11, 2011 1:50 p.m.

You got to wonder if jimer has physically and mentally checked out. It seems as if he's good for about 15-20 games and then he burns out... same as last year.

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    March 11, 2011 2:36 p.m.

I'd like to see Abouo take it up a notch.
    He could be the difference maker.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    March 11, 2011 4:32 p.m.

I still think this team can reach the Sweet 16. I think that is a reasonable place for this team to end up.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    March 11, 2011 5:22 p.m.

Great to be a Cougar and have the POST SEASON to look forward to!

Go Cougars!

• 4YNWYOMING Evanston, WY
    March 11, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Tough going. NM is again going to give the cougs a game. They must be on their "a" game or.....4 players must be in double digits and JF is going to have to score 35, at least, or.....I just keep telling myself to keep the faith....keep the faith.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    March 11, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Thanks hedgie. EVERY time you come on here and make a anti-Jimmer comment, the kids seems to go off for 40 or 52!

Thanks again.

Can we mark some more stuff down?

Where is Chris B these days?