High school basketball: Jerry Parker fired as South Summit coach

Comments

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    March 9, 2011 2:08 p.m.

There seems to be some background information left out about the relationship of the coach and school in the story. To have a coach hired, then fired, then re-hired and fired again means there seems to be a conundrum about how things really are going there.

• 3-pointer monroe, ut
    March 9, 2011 2:34 p.m.

What this firing shows is that South Summit is NOT a place to go if you are a coach. I am completely shocked and saddened by this firing. I have watched South Summit the past two years from the other side and have felt like he not only does a good job coaching, but he maintains a program with integrity. It is sad that the principal did not back him more.

If I were in Parker's shoes, I would turn in my resignation slip for football and find another school to work at. It also makes me happy that I don't work in that school district, under that principal, and in that community!

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    March 9, 2011 2:41 p.m.

Nothing is said about his success as a teacher. If competitive sports is about winning instead of education it's time to start a club system for the athletes. Let our schools worry more about education.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    March 9, 2011 2:52 p.m.

This is truely sad!!! This is not the NBA, Mr. Principal!! This coach did a good job of teaching kids the right way to play, and for the Principal to cave in to a bunch of spoiled disgruntled parents is beyond belief.

Yes, coach, find a GOOD school to coach and teach at and then--Resign just before football practice starts and let the principal do the coaching! We all know that he would do a much better job. Sad, Sad, Sad!

• troubs Enterprise, UT
    March 9, 2011 2:55 p.m.

WOW! Fired for taking 2nd. Although I don't think anyone should be the head of two different sports.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 9, 2011 2:56 p.m.

sounds like there is more to the story, and if it's something troubling or unethical, then the principal did the right thing. You don't hear about this happening alot anymore, but parent groups have in the past "ran coaches out of town" In some cases, it was warranted, in others, not so much. Of course maybe the good people of Kamas just expect more success.

• JustAnotherAverageGuy Holladay, UT
    March 9, 2011 3:05 p.m.

Yanks: if there was something troubling or unethical, don't you think he'd have been fired as football coach too? Sounds to me like some parents got a burr under their saddle and wouldn't lay off the principal till he canned the coach.

• reality police Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Bottom line is some Kamas valley residents have unrealistic expectations for success. They figure they should win the state title every year and want to fire all their coaches the minute it doesn't happen.

What the story doesn't mention is the school also ran out South Sevier's current basketball coach, Scott Hunt, in the mid-90s for not winning enough.

Get set for mediocrity Wildcats. You deserve it.

• Bear Somewhere, UT
    March 9, 2011 3:28 p.m.

I feel bad for the next guy that comes in as the coach. He better win state every year or he will be gone or maybe he had better play the right kid so that mommy and daddy don't get mad and have him fired. The only thing I have seen Parker do wrong is put those awful uniforms on the football team.

• SJH BRONCOS Blanding, UT
    March 9, 2011 3:48 p.m.

Ya he would have been canned for football if it was something ethical. The thing is I think he is getting out at the right time. South Summit has nothing after this group of seniors are graduated.

• Jackal Enterprise, UT
    March 9, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Unbelievable. Parents are chasing off good coaches all over the State. Writing letters to administators, and not signing their names. False accusations. Why would anyone want to coach nowadays? Most 2A schools are envious of the good programs they have going on in Kamas - 2nd in football, 1st in wrestling, and 2nd in basketball.

• Wildcat_fan Kamas, Ut
    March 9, 2011 3:59 p.m.

What you people dont see is Parker's knowledge of basketball. There is not much there. He is a good motivator and is good to the kids. I do not like how everyone is saying Parker won the championship and took second. Did the kids or the coaches play? I do not like the way the school handled this but it had to be done. It would have shown that he is not a great coach after these next couple rebuilding years.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 9, 2011 4:07 p.m.

@reality police, ironically, So.Sevier just beat So.Summit for the championship right? Weird, maybe the parent group will go after the old coach again, saying come back, come back!

@justanotherguy, I agree, you would think if it were some kind of violation or something, that he would have been fired from football as well. It's interesting though, because usually in smaller schools, kids play 2 or 3 sports, you would think that most of the BB kids would have played football too.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 9, 2011 4:22 p.m.

"yankees27 | 2:56 p.m. March 9, 2011
    Heber, Utah
    "You don't hear about this happening alot anymore, but parent groups have in the past "ran coaches out of town"
    -----

You don't hear this happening anymore? Really?

Ah, parents....

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 9, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Wildcat_fan | 3:59 p.m. March 9, 2011
    Kamas, Ut

------

So you think the kids would've won it without a coach? Just let them have the gym a couple hours a day and then show up at the game, make their own substitutions?

There is no "I" in team, but there is one in "My kid."

• gonzo Kamas, UT
    March 9, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Twitchell is the one that needs to go! This valley is ran by few families that will step on anyone in their path and Twitchell is just their puppet!!!

• Wildcat_fan Kamas, Ut
    March 9, 2011 4:40 p.m.

RE: In My Humble Opinion
    Anyone can sub kids in.. but a good coach can make coaching changes and actually has his team run an offense..

• 2acat Kamas, ut
    March 9, 2011 4:48 p.m.

To answer a lot of your questions nothing of ethics is the case. Coach Parker got home from the 2A tournament and the principal and the vice principal (former head coach who qualified to the state tournament once in seven seasons), set up appointments with "most" of the parents to evaluate the season. When speaking with the parents many are upset they were never contacted because the administration "already knew where they stood!" Fair? And also for the record Wildcat_fan's son did get cut from the team this year and hopefully with a new coach his son will make the team next season! I can guarantee that Coach Parker will/would win more games then the coach who has no more experience then coaching sophomores at Juan Diego! South Summit School District....what a laughing joke!

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 9, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Wildcat_fan | 4:40 p.m. March 9, 2011
    Kamas, Ut
    RE: In My Humble Opinion

----------

If you think knowing who to play when is something "anyone" can do, you have zero experience in coaching, and probably none in sports.

If you think a team can do it themselves, with egos and over-inflated self-concepts getting in the way, then you have no experience being on a talented team.

If you think "anyone" can keep "every" parent happy, then you are incredibly naive, and have absolutely zero experience coaching.

• cat fan Oakley, UT
    March 9, 2011 5:09 p.m.

Coach Parker is a great coach! From what I have seen, he has helped South Summit come along way in a short time! I understand that it is the boys that win the games, but they can't win the games without having someone there to coach and support them. This is a major dissapointment for me as a parent in the Kamas valley. Someone needs to get their priorities straight. No one is perfect and some people in our valley need to learn that.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 9, 2011 5:10 p.m.

I'll give you a coaching example, Wildcat_fan.

A parent came to the head coach of a team I was an assistant on and said, "My son should be starting." The coach said, "OK, lets take a look. Is he better than this player?" "No," she replied. "Is he better than that player," "No," "This one?" "No." When he'd gone through all the players at his position and she had agreed one-by-one that her son wasn't better than ANY of them, she said, "Well, he should still be starting."

Life isn't fair or flawless. You think sports and coaches are?

Ah, parents....

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 9, 2011 5:11 p.m.

There is also an "I" in "I'm smarter than the coach."

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 9, 2011 5:15 p.m.

@InMyH.O., Really, I don't hear about this happening ALOT anymore, you missed the word alot. Maybe you have, but I haven't, it seems the witch hunts aren't as common as they used to be, at least around here (Wasatch), parent groups got Coach Tree fired back in the 90's then Wasatch re-hired him after some unsuccessful stints by other coaches, the baseball coach was ran out after "lack of parent support" and still no titles from the new guys, maybe life in the SJ is different? I do agree with you about the coach/no coach comment though, sounds like this guy was a winning coach who ruffled the feathers of some powerful parents. I actually wished I had that kind of pull! Let's face it, people get stagnant and change needs to be made sometimes. Wished I knew the whole story about this one.

• phgreek Hooper, UT
    March 9, 2011 5:17 p.m.

@Wildcat_fan

I understand the sentiment that you want someone to teach...an accomplished basketball mind. Good luck finding one of those...there are many who were good players...very few who can relate knowledge/skill to understanding and execution in others...still fewer who can truly motivate young folks to achieve more than they thought they could...this is why most high schools stick with teachers...

But beyond that, this seems sad...the guy likely has BETTER understanding of the game than when he was given the job in '08...he seemed to win...Soooo what changed? Sorry, but it all just seems shallow.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 9, 2011 5:26 p.m.

cat | 4:48 p.m. March 9, 2011
    Kamas, Ut

--------

Really?

I can't count the number of players who "got cut from the team as a freshman or sophomore" and then went on to the NBA, some to the HOF. I will list a few, however, including Michael Jordan, Julius Erving, Nate Archibald, Bob Pettitt. I guess politicking has taken the place of hard work...

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    March 9, 2011 5:32 p.m.

I think sometimes a small town needs some new blood, referring to the admin. Perhaps some of the kids should not marry anyone in the county

• luvsports Kamas, UT
    March 9, 2011 5:34 p.m.

Wow! I was just going to ask if Wildcat_fan was one of the parents of the boys on the team that thought if HIS boy had played more in the state tournament, South Summit would have won. But, 2acat answered that.

Coach Parker was great! It is too bad that a FEW parents (who didn't think their sons played enough or didn't even make the team) can run off a good coach!

Twitchell should have stood up to these parents and supported Coach Parker instead of giving in to them!

• dforth79 Orem, UT
    March 9, 2011 5:38 p.m.

being from a small town, I have seen this before. A couple of parents who's kids didnt make the team but have lived there all of there lives probley got upset because they thought it was there right for there kids to make the team. whined to the school board and the principle until they got there way.

• Right or Wrong Happy Valley, Utah
    March 9, 2011 6:11 p.m.

Here's an idea, how about we hire and fire all teachers and administrators just like this coach. Get a group of "special" parents to decide who stays and who goes. If it's good for the coach then it's good for all!

• JD Books Monroe, UT
    March 9, 2011 6:35 p.m.

This is ridiculous! The only way to build a powerhouse is with continuity in coaching. Why is Scott Hunts program one of the top 5 in the state? He understands it.

• cat fan Oakley, UT
    March 9, 2011 6:40 p.m.

I totally agree with dforth79! So many parents get upset because they just know their kid is better than so and so's kid and don't understand why they aren't starting or the mvp! Guess what that is for the coach to decide, you are not at every practice you don't know what goes on. It is pretty sad that you parents have to take away a great coach just to boost your ego's!!! Also knowing how tough this economy is you should all be ashamed of yourselves!!!

• basketbabe Monroe, UT
    March 9, 2011 6:52 p.m.

As someone who has been involved in the boy's basketball program my entire life, it is disturbing to see the parents dictate whether or not a coach is fired. Everyone who has been around basketball knows that there may be five sets of parents who actually like the coach, and that's the starting five boys's parents, and even some of them may feel that their sons don't get enough playing time or recognition. When the parents can control a coach being fired, it is a tragedy. Principal Twitchell should have said, "Jerry is my man!" and told the parents to BACK OFF!! Now any coach that is hired will have to answer to EVERY set of parents on that team. This will create a program doomed to failure. Shame on the parents at South Summit!!

• justaparent Kamas, UT
    March 9, 2011 7:04 p.m.

When there was a drill team coach that needed to be fired for logical reason, the same pricipal said, "We back our coaches up first." Look how quick they are to get rid of a boys' coach.It took two years to get rid of the drill coach. Since then our drill program has done wonders. Where was the pricipal when an amazing basketball coach needed support?

• 2acat Kamas, ut
    March 9, 2011 7:10 p.m.

Wow! For the majority of parents wanting this change there seems to be an awful lot of support for a great coach! I hope everyone will show up to the board meeting tomorrow at 6:30, lets pack that trailer and stand up for the injustice that has been!

• Just A Parent Kamas, UT
    March 9, 2011 7:11 p.m.

Wildcat_fan: Who are you to critique Parker's basketball knowedge? Are you a coach? If you are, I think they forgot to inform you that you only need FIVE players on the floor at one time. That means somebody's fabulous son/daughter will be cut or sit the bench. Your son was either cut or sat the bench and you can't handle it. I feel sorry for your child! He must have some BIG SHOES to fill that you couldn't fill. Kids need to take their lumps in life. That's what prepares them for adulthood. Obviously your parents didn't let you take your lumps either!

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    March 9, 2011 7:12 p.m.

Really? Another coach gone because mommy and daddy don't like him? I have lives in a few different states and in each place In have been involved in high school sports. While parents are annoying all over, Utah takes the cake for whining, overbearing helicopter parents. And these administrators have not backbone whatsoever. Seriously, what is wrong with parents here? It boggles my mind how much they spend hanging around practices, creating these organizations that on the surface are spposed to help raise money, but in the end become sports mafia organizations. Don't these people work for a living? Don't they have anything else in their lives to do? My son is a varsity athlete and I don't agree with everything the coaches does, but here's a news flash...it's his team. Hey mommy and daddy, get some therapy and live your life through your life, not little Johnny's. You're pathetic.

• eagle Provo, UT
    March 9, 2011 7:12 p.m.

Okay South Summit parents.

You got what you wish for so I hope it all works out...

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    March 9, 2011 7:34 p.m.

Well, I'm shocked!

• JJJ Kamas, UT
    March 9, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Did anyone really expect anything less of the school district? The administration chooses to stand up to no one. Whoever they feel will make the least amount of noise gets pushed out and stepped on, and those with the right names and playing the politics right get whatever they want because the administrators are not men enough to fight for what is right, just for what will cause the least amount of problems for themselves. And whenever something gets too messy and things are really in the wrong, it is "beyond their comprehension why parents would pursue the matter."

• WILDCAT FAN kamas, utah
    March 9, 2011 10:07 p.m.

So sad a few parents could cause this school so much bad attention when the athletics departments have had such a great couple years!

• SS players point of view oakley, ut
    March 9, 2011 10:59 p.m.

I play football and basketball for Coach Parker and he has been a great mentor and coach to me. I want everyone to know that some players parents DO support Coach and feel like this was handled terribly, and many players will always support him. Thanks for all you have done Coach.

• San Diegan Poway, ca
    March 9, 2011 11:54 p.m.

As a South Summit alum, I am puzzled by the action of the school district. If Coach Parker's version of events is correct, the principal's actions constitute a complete abdication of his duties. Most would assume that a coach would be reviewed upon the success of his players on the field, their conduct in the classroom and in the community, and upon the Coach's personal conduct. Since the Coach is not being dismissed from the school, apparently his conduct is not in question. His record in two sports speaks for itself, and so I can only assume that the parents were concerned with the lack of success their children were having in the classroom or their behavior in the community. If not, then they were only concerned about personal issues that will become irrelevant as soon as their sons graduate from high school. When that happens the school will be left with the sorry legacy of allowing a handful of parents behind closed doors to deprive a coach of a job and an entire community of a proven winner. It seems to me the leadership of the school should be reviewed, not Coach Parker.

• KamasKing Kamas, UT
    March 10, 2011 12:15 a.m.

my oh my ill tell you once over or ill tell you twice over, what they doin here to jerry parker aint nothin short of shootin a sheriff and killin the deputy! imma lay it down for ya like a flatjack on a griddle, i guess now a day two consecutive state championship appearances is like puttin a two time triple crown winner down in his prime!
    you can judge a man's character by the way he don carry himself, and ill tell yooouu somthin, this man carries himself like a modern day john wayne, nothin but confidence and wins. you ever seen a john wayne movie you don like? i didnt think so, and dats the way i don felt about all them games here that jerry parker don won. what they doin here is a travesty!
    I hope they get somethin right and admit they wrong doin's, cuz ill tell you what it's slim pickins for a good head coach now a days, and what they don is put themselves between a rock n a hard place! and thats all i gots ta say about that.
    -Duke

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    March 10, 2011 5:47 a.m.

I've gone to task a few times in the past with this principal.
    He botched this one completely. The same way the school board botched the firing of Scott Hunt because he didn't have the "backing of the parents".
    This is so silly.
    Good job Coach Parker. Shame on the parents that have made this happen. Shame for the District/principal for listening.

• greenandwhite kamas, ut
    March 10, 2011 6:08 a.m.

okay. Coach Parker was asked to take over basketball after wallace left, until they could find a new coach. the principle, athletic director, and Jerry Parker knew and understood that the basketball position was tempmorary, and he also knew that he would not be there all of the time. why is he making a big deal now? also, the parents of kids that didnt get to play, or got cut all met with Twitchell and learned that MR. Twitchell had a policy that NO PARENT

• a bball fan Kamas, UT
    March 10, 2011 7:07 a.m.

Don't forget about the girls basketball coach who was fired the same day. Under similar circumstances.

• For Kicks Kamas, utah
    March 10, 2011 7:19 a.m.

Once again small town mentality has reared its ugly head. Just to set the record straight, there was no inappropriate behavior by Coach Parker when he was fired this time or when he was fired from coaching football years ago from the same high school. Coach Parker and Coach Hunt were fired because according to the principal and Board of Education, the program needed to go in a different direction. Just so you know, there were a lot of late night phone calls and behind the door conversations with parents then crying because their kids were not getting playing time. Grow up parents, this is life, you kids will probably never play for the NFL or NBA so start worrying about their education instead of how many minutes they are on the floor on field playing. Parents where is your common sense. Kids need a well rounded educational experience which includes sports, but it is not the end all. What parents have done is once again taken a coach who truly cares about his players and disrupted his career. Hope you are proud. I would love for some of you to stand up and admit what you have done.

• TucsonUte Phoenix, Arizona
    March 10, 2011 7:33 a.m.

I have family whose kids attend and have attended South Summit. There is more to this issue than just wins and losses and again those posting in here decrying the principals actions probably dont have all the facts. If success is measured by only wins and losses than Coach Parker has been successful. But wins and championships dont guarantee ones job. Just look at Bobby Knight, Steve Lavin and others in the coaching profession. If the principal believes Parker wasnt doing the job, then it is at his discretion to bring in a different coach. I know from attending some football games at South Summit in 2008 that not everyone is aboard the Parker coaching train.

• wildcatparent Oakley, UT
    March 10, 2011 8:08 a.m.

As the parent of a current player that played both football and basketball for Coach Parker, it is disappointing that the administration decided to make changes in the basketball program but lacked the courage to do so without hiding behind "parental dissatisfaction." If this decision was truly based on the "lack" of parental support then the administration would have talked with all of the parents and not a select few. It should be noted that none of the outgoing senior player parents were contacted. As a result the administration has now created a situation where four championship games appear to be unsatisfactory and "parental input" is part of the job requirement. Who would find this a desirable situation to coach in? I am saddened by the way this was handled. The focus has now shifted from what should have been a post season celebration to a demoralizing termination of a valued coach.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    March 10, 2011 8:26 a.m.

If there is not more to this story, the principal mad a huge mistake! When kids hit high school, it's time to start learning life lessons. One of the things that high school sports teaches kids is that sometimes life doesn't go your way, wether it's "fair" or not. It's too bad there are parents that need to learn that message and instead teach their kids how to be entitled narcisistic brats, as teenagers and adults. It's too bad that school administrators would perpetuate the problem. They clearly don't have the kid's best interest in mind.

• Aggie97 North Logan, Utah
    March 10, 2011 8:35 a.m.

Man, I thought you had to be a horrible coach and not win games to get fired. But a coach who averages 16 wins a year gets the boot. When did parents start telling the schools who can coach and who can't. The same thing happened last year at Logan High and it makes me sick. Good luck Coach Parker you are a great coach and even a better man.

• scotsrock Ogden, UT
    March 10, 2011 8:58 a.m.

I have coached at the Varsity Basketball level for 2 years now agains coach Parker. Through coaching we have needed to email often to make sure that schedules were as they should be. Coach Parker has always seemed to be very on the ball, he is a proven winner on the court, and for someone who apparently doesnt run an offense, his teams always found ways to win and score. He is a good friend and an example of what a mentor should be like to our youth. I am saddened that I wont be able to see him on the court demanding that his team give 100% effort, as they always have. Good Luck Coach, Coach Wilcox

• baldcoach Blanding, UT
    March 10, 2011 9:09 a.m.

re: a bbal fan
    Wait the girls coach was fired as well? How come nothing has been said about that?
    Is this true? What were the reasons?

• Just A Parent Kamas, UT
    March 10, 2011 9:16 a.m.

When are the parents and administration of this district going to focus on academics first and sports second? I love how much effort goes into getting rid of a coach when there are teachers in our district that need some serious critiquing and some should have retired 10 years ago. After high school, these kids have to let their high school athletics go and become adults that earn a living. How many graduating kids from South Summit earn a living being professional athletes?

Really parents? Wake up and face life so that your children can become productive adults instead of helicopter parents like yourselves.

• Bears Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2011 9:22 a.m.

@Yankees:

I know of 3 different coaches that have been ran out in the past 2 years and 1 unsuccessful attempt where the student and family ended up moving because of the drama they had caused with their lies.

It happens.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    March 10, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Small town politics. Very sad. This will probably work out best for Coach Parker in the long run. I think it would be unbearable to coach under these circumstances and there are plenty of places where parents will be supportive and understand their role in helping the team succeed.

The #1 rule in team sports is that the coach is the boss. He runs the team the way he thinks is best. If he fails to produce results, he deserves to lose his job. But when he is consistently producing teams that are challenging for a championship, the cry baby parents have no leg to stand on in asking for his firing. And the administration is NUTS to be controlled in this way. Now the principal is beholden to a group of whiney, immature parents who think they won by getting a good coach canned. They now think they have the power to dictate how the sports programs are run when it is none of their business. Won't the principal be surprised when the next coach isn't good enough either. Or the one after that. SS parents will get what they deserve.

• wasatchalum heber, utah
    March 10, 2011 9:44 a.m.

i have never made a comment on desnews before, buti felt that i had to on this one.

@ picky- i have never allowed myself to get so worked up over somebody elses opinion, but what you said about the head baseball coach at wasatch high school is the most ignorant statement i have ever heard. he is a saint, he is a top notch coach, he brought the wasatch program out of ashes. i have never heard any player say anything negative about him until just this past year.. and surprise surprise, it was from some parents. i played for coach, he is one of the best men that i have ever met. i feel like there is no way that i would be the person that i am today without coach. all of his former players adore him. did you play for him? paul sweat is one of the most incredible principles that i have ever met. if he has confidence in coach, then everyone should. shame on you for being ignorant.

• Hoops Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2011 9:53 a.m.

I can't speak to whether there is some underlying reason that hasn't been disclosed about Coach Parker's firing, but I have been impressed by the quality of the basketball team and their success under his coaching. If this is truly what it appears to be . . . a few disgruntled parents getting their way because their kids weren't getting enough playing time . . . then I am very disappointed in the integrity of the administration at South Summit. And I echo what many have said--the kids have been done a disservice, both those who have lost a good coach, and those whose parents have just taught them that you don't have to respect and honor authority. You can go behind their backs and have them removed if you don't like them or the decisions they're making. Good luck, Coach Parker. May you find a place where the administration has a bit more spine.

• cat fan Oakley, UT
    March 10, 2011 9:59 a.m.

Oh yes and to those who don't know they also fired the girls head coach!
    @greenandwhite-a lot of us know that Coach Parker was only hired on as a temporary but he has taken the football AND basketball program past expectations. So tell me why that is a bad thing. I have seen more school spirit in the past couple years he has been here then I have seen in a long time.
    Education should be the parents number one priority not how much game time their kid is getting. I Coach Parker is one of the best coaches South Summit has had. Coach Parker is one of the best coaches South Summit has ever had!

• K.Jones Pleasant Grove, Utah
    March 10, 2011 10:14 a.m.

I had the opportunity to work with Coach Parker at Granger and South Summit. He is a Teacher. He is professional, ethical, a positive role model, a great coach, and he CARES about his students/athletes.

Coaching is a thankless job. When the team wins, it's because of the athletes. When the team loses, it's the coaches fault. However true or untrue this statement is, it is the reality of being a coach. Coach Parker is aware of this. Although there are many positive aspects to winning there are also positive lessons learned in losing. Coach Parker is aware of this as well. It is unfortunate that the very people who hired and trusted Coach Parker to "teach" are the very ADULTS who still have yet to learn these lessons themselves. The irony in this is that most of these ADULTS have also been coaches.

I wasn't at the game, but, it is disturbing that three successful season's and a man's job are determined by five points.

These ADULTS are forgetting about what really matters, it isn't about the trophies in the trophy case, it's about the kids.

• Boo Ya!!! SLC, UT
    March 10, 2011 10:20 a.m.

Please don't tell me the Coach Hunt referred to that they fired at South Summit is the same coach that is at South Sevier?

Is it?

If it is, then this story speaks for itself cuz' he is a great coach and an even better person.

wow

• sportguru kamas, utah
    March 10, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I too am very ashamed of the principal, although I do not believe he acted alone in firing coach Parker. I believe he had the support of a few members of the school board, and assistant principal. It might be worthy to note that there was an ILLEGAL meeting held with more than one board member and the principal, before the season ever ended. That means that Jerry Parker was still the defending 2A state champ coach. Changing the Head bb coach was the topic of the meeting. The meeting was illegal because in order for it to be legal, notice of the meeting had to be posted publicly, and minutes taken, neither of which occurred. If Jerry Parker was fired for having a few disgruntled parents....then the school board members should be fired for holding an illegal meeting. after all rules are rules

• screenname123 Sandy, UT
    March 10, 2011 10:22 a.m.

Am I reading this correctly? The parents were called in to private meetings and allowed to "voice their opinios"? Who does that? The guy wins a state championship one year and takes second the next and there's a meeting? WHY? The only meeting there should have been was one to plan something to honor the guy! Parents disgust me. First we have the Alta/Les Hamilton situation and now this. Grow up people!

• sportguru kamas, utah
    March 10, 2011 10:26 a.m.

several posts on here have stated that when coach Parker was hired, he knew it was only temporary... It would be interesting to see if that statement (the job being temporary) is actually in the minutes of the school board meeting when Jerry was given the opportunity to take the job. anyone know when that meeeting took place?

• sportguru kamas, utah
    March 10, 2011 10:32 a.m.

boo ya.... sad but true it IS the same coach Hunt that is in South Sevier. He too had complaints from disgruntled parents...one in particular who was on the school board at the time. (how convenient) The message from the school board was that SS wanted to go a different direction. Wow was that ever successful!! We sure did go a different direction... DOWN instead of UP...amazing how sometimes whining parents get just what they ask for. The problem is SS administration didn't learn from the first mistake...it is a new administration, but you can still learn from others mistakes..if you are smart enough that is.

• footballdad#60 kamas, utah
    March 10, 2011 10:35 a.m.

I have a couple of comments I need to say. Number 1 SJH Broncos I dont think you know what your talking about next years football lacks talent. The JV team went undefeated . If you guys would have brought your JV team up here you would have lost just like everyone else we played also our JV team beat your kids last year during your homecoming. Dont be supprised if we take it all next year. I feel very strongly that a coach should allowed to coach without any input from parents.High school sports are not like the rec league where every kid gets to play if he or she is not good enough they ride the pine .
    I think coach Parker is a great role model and mentor for my son. When my son had a beef with coach Parker I made him work it out without me being involved and thats the way it should be. During the season the coaches are with our kids more than we are as parents I hope the school board changes there mind and reinstates coach Parker his record speaks for its self .

• For Kicks Kamas, utah
    March 10, 2011 10:51 a.m.

A lot of coaching seems to be going on from the stands. Some of you have questioned Coach Parker's knowledge and ability without acknowledging the sacrifices that have been made by him and his family. When you spend 12-16 hours a day with kids, you had better be in the business for the long hall. I am ashamed to say that I live in the Kamas Valley where some of you small-minded people reside. Secret meetings including board members, an administration that clearly does not value or support staff and a board that cowers down to parents with the least knowledge and the biggest mouths. Who will be next? Anyone that had a hand in this should be ashamed. This is a loss for the players and a win for those whining parents. I hope it was worth the sacrifice.

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    March 10, 2011 11:07 a.m.

What a shame! Two years in a row now in 2A where good coaches were let go because of a few parents who probably can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Unless a coach puts a student in danger either physically, emotionally or mentally the parents should just stay out of things. There are parents on every hiring committee and they help choose a coach they should then stick behind their decision and support the coach especially if he/she has established a quality program. Even more despicable is when the administration at a school instead of sticking by their colleague cow down to the pressure and are more concerned about being popular in the community and with the parents than doing the right thing and supporting a coach who gets blindsided. Good luck Coach Parker in your future coaching endeavors.

• sportguru kamas, utah
    March 10, 2011 11:26 a.m.

wow the support for Parker on here far outweighs the critics! hmmm wonder where those disgruntled parents are now. I would like to see a huge turnout (like a crowd at the North Summit vs South Summit games)at the schoolboard meeting tonight. This is a battle worth fighting, I don't know that Parker would take it back... but it needs to go down in history that a winning coach should NOT be ousted by a few whining parents....Let our voices be heard tonight! What is not broken should not be fixed!

• ssal Kamas, UT
    March 10, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Green and White, You have some nerve coming on here as the leader of those whinning Parents, that is to blame this mess. Just read his comment on the article after the State game on how coaching lost the game.

• Hoopfan10 Ogden, UT
    March 10, 2011 11:48 a.m.

There is one good thing that comes out of all of this tragedy. At least other schools can look to beat a team that was once dominate wth coach Parker.

• SJH BRONCOS Blanding, UT
    March 10, 2011 12:00 p.m.

For Kicks.

Ya your jv has been really good the last couple of years. I dont think they hand out jv state championships but its a good accomplishment for sure. What I do know is they hand out varsity State Championships and San Juan has won the last two. South Summit's varsity has four losses in the last two years. I think you know who beat them all those times too. Cant wait to see you guys down in Blanding. Maybe just maybe South Summit will get its first varsity win against San Juan in football this coming year.

• sportsfan40 Coalville, Utah
    March 10, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Coach Parker is a class act. He did not deserve to be fired. In fact, South Summit should be grateful to have such a wonderful person as their coach. It is almost beyond comprehension that their are so many small minded, self centered people in one community. However, having gone through a very similar thing at North Summit, I know that Coach Parker will be better off in future years. Hence, it is not just South Summit with small feable minded people, they also exist at North Summit. When are these people going to realize that the parents need to focus on whatever they do, or purport to do, and not on whining to the school administration about their kids, who in most cases are just not athletes or at least not to the level of their less than objective parents. However, I will say in my case, the Athletic Director, Principal and Superintendent supported me, but the board caved to a few parents who had kids that couldn't play or didn't excell in order to fill the inadequacies of the parents. I hope that Coach Parker moves to a school where he will be appreciated. Sheldon Smith

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    March 10, 2011 12:35 p.m.

@footballdad#60
    So two years ago your JV beat a San Juan C-Team. Thats right a sophomore freshman team. You dressed 35 sophomores to our our 25 total kids only 4 of which were sophomores. As I remember the final score was 22-20 the difference in the game was a blocked punt that was recovered for a touchdown. I know for a fact had San Juan's starting C-team punter been healthy that punt wouldn't have been blocked. So take your undefeated JV season and file it with the rest of the state who had undefeated JV seasons in 2010. San Juan's JV also went undefeated playing mostly sophomores and I'm going to go out on a limb and say SJ's JV played better competition cosidering they played 3 1A varsity teams and a 2 4A JV's. I hope you make it far enough into the playoffs that we meet up and then it will be settled on the field. As for the San Juan fan who said you might get your win this year, I for one don't think so.

• P.Humilis Holladay, UT
    March 10, 2011 12:36 p.m.

A coach getting run out by parents still happens here in the Salt Lake Valley 4 or more at a local High School. And from firsthand knowledge one of them was not justified unless you say parents opinions are most important.
    to:John C.C.
    He probably is a great teacher, but it is nice of you to jump to an other wise biased opinion, do you live in Kamas? I am sure there are some parents there that would welcome you as one of their own :)

• Super Trooper SLC, UT
    March 10, 2011 12:53 p.m.

We may never know the true story, HOWEVER, suffice it to say, prep sports is in serious trouble.

We have AAU leagues in the summer, coaches running these kids onto the ground keeping up with the other "winning" programs (not being critical, just a fact), we've micro-managed ALL these kids from 1st grade on, weeding out kids who might have been successful, but whose parents could not or chose not to pay 1000's of dollars for summer programs and we let those parents with the most influence/money/mouth run good coaches off everywhere.

I've talked to several coaches and parents from many parts of the state over the past month and MOST are frustrated with the state of high school athletics in general and wonder if it is even worth it to encourage your kid to play or even coach anymore. You can't have the influence you used to have as a coach cuz' parents won't let you. Many make an excuse for the kid even before the dust has settled.

PARENTS: Don't take the boulders out of your kids way!!! Learning to get around the boulders is the point!!!!

• wildcatparent Oakley, UT
    March 10, 2011 1:03 p.m.

I feel that there needs to be further clarification regarding the parent sentiment toward Coach parker. Let me reiterate that it is a noisy small minority of parents that have made their voices heard with this administration. The parents did not terminate Coach Parker, an administration did and did so under false pretenses. Parents of six of the seven players who were in the varsity rotation this year were not called in for an "interview with the administration." The seventh players parents were positive in their remarks. It is unfair of the administration to point to a "lack of parental support" as the primary grounds for termination. As parents we are very proud of the accomplishments of this team and coach. Every administration has the right to make changes in their coaching and staffing positions from time to time. Yet this administration has let the parents take the fall for their decision. As parents, we will be at the meeting tonight in support of Coach Parker.

• footballdad#60 kamas, utah
    March 10, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Me,Myself and I it's to bad San Juan didnt bring your JV team up here then we could have proven my point I was trying to get across SJH broncos fan that there is loads of talent left. As far as two years ago ago a win is a win no matter how you look at it. My hat goes off to you guys for wining back to back state championships. I look foward to seeing our teams playing each other again. I just hope coach Parker gets the credit what he has done for basketball and the football programs.You can have all the talent in the world but a good coach knows how to use it to his advantage to win games.Again parents need to let the coaches coach . Parents need to sit back and enjoy watching there kids play the game they love because when they are done with high school there is a very small percentage of kids that will play at the next level. ENJOY THE MOMENT!

• Bear Somewhere, UT
    March 10, 2011 2:05 p.m.

RE: Super Trooper

I think that the coaches are right. It isn't worth putting our children in high school athletics anymore. I think that it is time to let schools worry about teaching our children reading, writing, math, science and other subjects. All amateur athletics should be done in some other fashion. Our schools don't have the resources to teach our children so lets free up some time and money and let them just teach.

• Justmythoughts Richfield, UT
    March 10, 2011 2:39 p.m.

This is why wrestling is the number one sport. It takes a lot of the politics out of high school athletics.

• insidelookingout Blanding, ut
    March 10, 2011 2:39 p.m.

SSHS is always making changes for the wrong reasons. Look at the coaching and personnel history. Football coach Walker walked away from 3 straight tittle games when the parents wouldn't support his decision to discipline players. Coach Coil was replaced by a puppet that they fired and now Jerry is gone for who knows what reason. They need some spine rehab in that school. They also let a great counselor (Bayles) go for no reason and have replaced him twice over. And nothing has been as good as when Woolstenhulme was VP. The Admin needs a big overhaul.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 10, 2011 2:55 p.m.

Wasatchalum: I think the saint you played for is no longer there. Times and people change, so has he. I also don't think you played in the last 3-4 years or it would be clear what I'm talking about. The blacktop warriors, 3time region champs days are over. The main reason for that groups success was an assistant who had college baseball experiance and tons of knowledge that he leant to the two coaches. Since he left, the team has been free-falling. Calling the other posters comments "ignorant" was out of line. It should have been edited. Not ALL the former players paint such a Saintly picture as you, in fact many from the last few years are quite the opposite. It would be awesome to see the baseball program come back to life, but it's just not going to happen with the current staff.

Oh yeah, I too am an alumnus, I don't have kids in the program, but know several who have/do. It should be a concern to any parent exactly what is going on in that program. I'm trying to be nice here...

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 10, 2011 3:05 p.m.

@justmythoughts: I agree! although coaches can still make some lineup changes moving kids up and down the weights, wrestling is pretty pure. If you can beat the kid at your weight, you are Varsity in most schools. It would be awesome if all athletics worked this way. I'm not saying remove coaches, I'm just saying coaches should play their talent, not the kids with the most vocal parents, or whatever. We (wasatch) are blessed with a great coach who loves the kids, challenges them, motivates them, inspires them, and helps them become the best they can be. True coaching! ALL teams should expect the same! If a coach is that, then winning and losing shouldn't matter as much (if at all) to the parents, in fact those coaches who are like that, at least at Wasatch, have overwhelming parental support, the irony is, those who run programs like that, also have won state championships! Go figure huh?

• a bball fan Kamas, UT
    March 10, 2011 4:33 p.m.

to: Baldcoach from Blanding. Yes the girls coach was fired as well. No reason, just felt it was time to make a change. I guess too much success makes a coach's position be in danger. The SS girls made it to State for the first time in about 10 years and placed 4th with a very young team. Not sure what SS parents are hoping for but maybe they will find a magic coach for the girls and the boys. Nobody is talking about this because they are too upset about Parker. A rough week for the coaches at South Summit

• amazedagain Kamas, ut
    March 10, 2011 5:13 p.m.

Coach Parker is a great coach! Not sure the exact reason Coach Parker was let go, but if the rumors are true what a SHAME! I don't have teenagers yet but I sure am learning a lot about how to raise them and how to be a good parent by watching the examples of the parents with teenagers around me. One thing I know for sure is if my child was not putting in the effort to qualify him/herself to make a high school athletic team I would encourage them to train harder and not let that define who there were as a person. I would never blame a coach for my childs inability to perform. Is Coach Parker a perfect coach, NO! NO COACH IS!! That's the irony "they" are looking for that perfect coach that does not esist, because what is perfection....In this case I guess it's parents looking for a coach to make thier child the best rather than expecting the best from their child. For all adults involved in this situation remember we are our childrens greatest example...are we teaching them what we should be teaching them????

• KamasBayles KAMAS, Utah
    March 10, 2011 5:57 p.m.

I am the Bayles (insidelookingout) who was fired without Explanation so I doubt Jerry or Chad will receive one either. The problem here in our little hamlet it that the school board has too much power. They have forgotten that their job is ONLY to hire and fire superintendents and set district policy. Not micromanage the sup's and principals in the district. The parents need to finally say enough is enough and clean house on the school board and stop playing the sycophant.

• DENNIS BLACKETT RIGBY, IDAHO
    March 10, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Coach Parker is the most dedicated person, any county would be proud to call there coach. He works very hard for the players, to all hours of the nights, and weekends and on his own time never complaining. He has put his heart and soul into the wildcats, and to have this termination happen for no reason is a shame. This rural Summit community and the people of Kamas,Utah have lost a great coach, and the respect of the people who live there !! The players and the kids are the real loosers. I hope coach Jerry Parker realizes he is a winner and they can't take that ! DB

• WiLdCat SF Kamas, Utah
    March 10, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Coach Parker is my favorite coach! whoever was to blame for his firing should feel ashamed! i hope he gets his position back! He is just one of those coaches that makes you feel good about yourself, he's an awesome person! i would know!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    March 11, 2011 2:39 a.m.

Kamas is a nice place to fish and hunt.Hunt for trouble and fish for compliments.

• screech redmond, ut
    March 11, 2011 9:11 a.m.

I feel sorry for the ball players. South Summit should learn from history, They let arguble the best high school basketnall coach ever!!! go in the 90's ( and was winning) and I know personally I would love to have my boy's play for. and now they have done it again and will live to regret it aswell. Coach Parker go to a school with some integrtiy.

• Captain Kanab, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:55 p.m.

Wow. That is all I can say. People in Kamas must have forgot about SS beating the two best teams in 2A last year and arguebly the best basketball team to come through 2A in the last 10 years in last years south sevier team then taking 2nd to an unbelievable South Sevier team this year. Not the brightest move by the principal or the parents. Coach Parker, come on down and Coach at Kanab. We could use you.

• North Summit 05 Coalville, UT
    March 12, 2011 2:34 a.m.

SJH broncos fan sure you guys are wonderful when your playing in the 2A north division but as I remember you guys werent so confident back when you were in the south with milliard the main reason you guys won your state titles is because your in the north region now I dont know enough about the situation with coach parker to comment although I know from experience's back when I was at NS but not going to get into that

• AH!CV Cedar City, UT
    March 12, 2011 10:10 a.m.

All I have to say is that I would urge people, before they jump to any conclusions based on a one-sided newspaper article, that they understand that there are two sides to this story. I am in no way associated with Kamas or South Summit at all. I've heard, however, from multiple people that it wasn't even necessarily about "parent support" or the lack there-of. There were other issues involved that were neither unethical nor political that, I'm told, drove this decision. Before we start sensationalizing something, as we all seem accustomed to doing, realize that we are talking about a position that probably pays about as much money, if not less, than what Coach Parker put in. We aren't talking about big time college basketball type jobs here. Most of us who are involved in High School athletics, this stuff becomes so important to us, while often the powers that be, don't see it that way. Not that one opinion is wrong or right, I just think we are judging another groups perspective without sharing the same viewpoint.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    March 13, 2011 9:00 a.m.

If I lived in the SS School District and I was raising an athlete I'd be moving to Monroe.

• eagle Provo, UT
    March 13, 2011 11:39 a.m.

i know the DN moderator denied my post. But I was asking a legitimate question.

You can't say that this coach was fired for not winning games because if you take second in state after taking state, those are ridiculous standards to judge a coach. He probably should have been fired after taking 6th in state after his first year then.

The principal cited "lack of parental support." Well this article currently has 94 posts and the VAST majority of posters are supportive. No posts have been made citing anything substantive about firing Parker. I don't think the one guy saying it was obvious that he isn't a "basketball" coach means a lot. I think there are people that can simply coach. They can motivate, lead and they understand athletic talent. So maybe Parker isn't a John Wooden in his basketball knowledge but evidently based on three years, he gets the job done.

So again I ask, what school board member's son (or relative) was on the basketball team and is upset about playing time or something else. It is obvious that Coach Parker has powerful enemies and this is a legitimate question.

• Anonymous dude Heber City, Utah
    March 13, 2011 9:09 p.m.

What is a matter with you people. Their is power in numbers. If you really love your coach you would start a petition of names to get him back. The school board and administration can't overlook it. I have seen this happen and take place in other school districts.

• SJH BRONCOS Blanding, UT
    March 13, 2011 9:35 p.m.

North Summit 05

We have played in 7 state championships in football since 1998 and have won five of them. So we won three while we were in the south region. I dont know what you are talking about bro and the two times we lost the championship we were in the south region as well.

• gubitnik holladay, UT
    March 14, 2011 5:04 p.m.

How do you fire a coach that has reached the state finals the past two years?And won it last year!! Politics in High School are so prevelant it's not even funny.

• Slammer Lehi, UT
    March 15, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Wildcat_fan:

There's an old adage, "you can't argue with success". Apparently a tiny minority of hillbillies in Kamas has found a way. Shame on you parents who got Coach Parker fired because your "little Johnny" didn't get enough playing time or didn't make the team. congratulations to the majority in the valley who are standing up for the coach! I hope he gets rehired - you're going to need him for the inevitable building years headed your way.

• SS Cedar City, Utah
    March 16, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Hey Coach Parker, come down to Monroe and coach with Coach Hunt. We love our Basketball Coaches, you will find success and plenty of support from the parents and community!! Our Football program could use your help too! I can't believe South Summit could possibly get rid of so many great coaches in such a little amount of time! I feel sorry for the athletes that would have played under such great coaches, but didn't get the chance because of people that aren't even influenced directly by the coaches.

• Takeastand Kamas, UT
    March 19, 2011 4:41 p.m.

Community Meeting
    Please attend in support of
    Coach Jerry Parker
    Monday, March 21, 2011
    6:30pm at Kamas (Senior Citizens) Community Center
    At the school board meeting on March 10, High School Principal Mr. Twitchell stated that if Coach Parker gave permission and attended a meeting, reasons for his dismissal as the head basketball coach would be further addressed.
    A formal invitation has been extended to:Coach Parker, Principal Twitchell, Mr. Coil, Superintendent Walker, and the school board members to attend this meeting. Please note that this meeting will be organized and standard courtesy will be required.A spokesperson will be designated to conduct the meeting and there will be time allotted for public comments.
    Please support your community and attend this meeting.

• Takeastand Kamas, UT
    March 19, 2011 6:59 p.m.

@AC!CV
    Re: your comment
    "I am in no way associated with Kamas or South Summit at all. I've heard, however, from multiple people that it wasn't even necessarily about "parent support" or the lack there-of. There were other issues involved that were neither unethical nor political that, I'm told, drove this decision"

As someone who is in no way associated, you seem to know a lot. I was at the school board meeting and have also personally spoken with Coach Parker. So please....enlighten us to these "other issues" that no one will talk about. Why all the secrecy??

• Ross9act Oakley, Utah
    March 20, 2011 5:36 p.m.

South Summit School District is AWFUL!
    Hey lets get a bunch of parents to complain and get Twitchell the heck out of there...he is the real problem!

• 2acat Kamas, ut
    March 21, 2011 12:11 a.m.

I would like to encourage everyone to attend the meeting tonight at 6:30 at the Kamas Senior Citizen Building. Coach Parker will be attending and will hopefully be able to to give us all a better understanding of exactly what has taken place. Please show up and make sure your School Board Member is representing you and your concerns. I feel like it is a good idea for everyone to attend even if you do not have kids involved. Come and show your support and hopefully get some answers.

• soamazing kamas, utah
    March 21, 2011 8:04 a.m.

Just so all of you know out there.. It was not the majority of parents who complained about coach Parker. 3 or 4 squeaky wheels rubbing against a school board member who's son did not play a lot.. and having someone who the principal thought would step right in and take Parkers place, are a few factors in his release... the rest have yet to be brought out in the open. It would be GREAT to have a lot of support fromt the community tonight at the meeting. I reallly think all those who were involved with the firing of Coach Parker should have the courtesy to show up and give the public and Coach Parker the rest of the pieces to this puzzle. If the reasons are good enough to fire a coach, then they should be good enough to announce to the community.... after all isn't that what the school board SHOULD do is represent the voices of the community?

• Just A Parent Kamas, UT
    March 21, 2011 8:17 a.m.

If you are tired of a handfull of parents controlling our school board and administration, please come to the meeting tonight at 6:30 p.m. These few parents have now got their own way. Our athletic programs will now suffer just so a few parents' kids can be on the team or be the star of the team. We elected these board members and it is their duty to listen to everyone's concerns, not just a select few. If we do not take a stand now, it will be too late. We need to keep the pressure on our superintendent and school board to start practicing legal and fair policies and procedures. I would also like to extend this invitation to the SELECT few parents who succeeded in firing two coaches without merit. Show your faces and own up to your actions.

• Wildcats Kamas, Utah
    March 21, 2011 3:15 p.m.

i think we should just run out the board and the principal and start fresh. if they are going to listen to a few parents then if parents want them gone they are the ones listening to the parents. give them a taste of their own medicine. start at the top and get rid of them all down the the athletic director

• SS Wildcat Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 21, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Wasn't there a school board meeting last week? The administration is required by law NOT to share with everyone the missteps of employees. Coach Parker knows the reasons why the change was made and the parents were way down on the list. I would be very surprised if any of the administration or school board members show up tonight because there is a forum for this and it was last week. Time to realize the decision has been made and it time to move on. This continuation of this issue isn't helping Coach Parker be reinstated to basketball coach. There are five members of the school board and a superintendent that are good and just men. All were in agreement to the change. Wouldn't that tell a reasonable person that there is more to this story than a few parents? This is about education not about sports, or even religion as some have suggested. Time to turn the page people.

• Wildcats Kamas, Utah
    March 21, 2011 4:11 p.m.

here are the reasons that coach parker was fired. 1. lack of parental support. 2. didn't develop the sophomores enough. 3. negative with the kids. 4. didn't use the coach brought in by the school when his staff was all ready full to coach the jv instead of the coach that was all ready hired.

now here is the truth. 3-4 parents mad. i have heard that some of the sophomores were the most improved players that coming from the coaches. ask any of the kids if he was negative. his staff was full and the assistant was brought in under his nose nothing against the coach brought in but a lot against the school for going behind the coaches back. and shouldn't the coach fill his own staff not the school?

If you hire the coach you should back him not let a few parents dictate his fate. how is the coach going to be replaced where are they going to find a coach that will want to come here just to be fired in 2-3 years. let a lone a coach of the caliber that was lost. Coach Parker should be reinstated.

• soamazing kamas, utah
    March 21, 2011 9:51 p.m.

SS wildcat, you sound like you must have been one of the higher ups who had a hand in ousting the Coach. Funny thing tonight at the meeting. Superintendent Barry Walker said that those were the only reasons Coach Parker was fired. talk about trying to drum up reasons...give us break. And if you are not aware, good and just men do make mistakes..... some realize it, others are too bull headed to. This has really brought the community together huh! way to build school spirit and unity!

• ssalum kamas, ut
    March 21, 2011 11:28 p.m.

Could someone who went to the meeting tonight explain what was talked about?

• k-town_fan Logan, Utah
    March 22, 2011 12:11 a.m.

All I can say is WOW!! @

Greenandwhite are you happy now???

• Chas99 Kamas, Ut
    March 22, 2011 11:17 a.m.

SS Wildcat,
    Privacy laws protect the board from having to release the details of the firing. However, the employee can speak of it if they so choose. As some have pointed out, there have been a few different agendas and reasons for firing Coach Parker. None of these are fully accurate. For example: Lack of parent support. Any chance the parents lacking in support are part of the Kamas good ol' boys club? There were a lot of parents supporting coach at the rally last night. And at the Board meeting. And at the games. There is a process clearly defined in the District whereby conflicts with parents are to be handled. These include talking to all parents on the afefected team, and involving the Coach. Policy was grossly disregarded. Perhaps the board members are good men, but they were not just in the firing of Coach Parker. Furthermore, religious bigotry played a part in the Coach's firing in 94'. Why wouldn't some assume that is related here? I dont think anyone has said that that is the whole story. But the root of the disdain which some hold for Coach P IS belief oriented.

• Chas99 Kamas, Ut
    March 22, 2011 11:19 a.m.

SS Wildcat,

• Takeastand Kamas, UT
    March 22, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Guess what SS Wildcat -
    We're not turning the page and we're not forgetting about this issue to make a few people comfortable. We will stay involved to make sure that this type of misrepresentation does not happen again by our elected officials. This coach had overwhelming support from the community and we will do right by him to see that this does not happen to another coach in the future.

• Takeastand Kamas, UT
    March 22, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Guess what SS Wildcat -

• Takeastand Kamas, UT
    March 22, 2011 6:18 p.m.

And just to keep facts in order here, lack of parental support was number 1 on the list that the principal gave Coach Parker in his statement at the community rally and Superintendent Walker did not dispute it. NOT "way down the list". There are no hidden issues left here to hide behind. All of the reasons were disclosed by the employee who is supposed to be protected by the law that these officials are hiding behind.