Utah Utes football: Program moving into new Pac-12 era

Comments

• theJman Bay Area, CA
    March 9, 2011 12:26 a.m.

Very excited about the upcoming season. Too many unknowns, but excited none the less. Go Utes!

• uteowl Sunnyvale, CA
    March 9, 2011 1:16 a.m.

I can't wait for next year. AND I hope that Norm will be able to instill a level of discipline that has been lacking on the offense these past few years so that the rash of inopportune, stupid penalties becomes a nightmare of the past.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    March 9, 2011 2:10 a.m.

PAC-12 here we come! Go UTES!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 9, 2011 7:30 a.m.

Dirk, I'd really like to know more about this Thretton Palamo guy. I know he's an absolute freak rugby player but a little bit more information would be interesting to read.

Very interested in hearing how the depth chart shakes out.

• chiefbrady Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2011 7:49 a.m.

You have so many people pulling for you Boo Anderson! Hang tough and know that we're behind you!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 9, 2011 8:05 a.m.

Chiefbrady,

Yea, I'm a Boo Anderson fan... but for whatever reason it appears more talented kids a leapfrogging him.

Let's hope he finds some meaningful playing time this year.

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    March 9, 2011 8:15 a.m.

I'm glad we finally have an offensive coordinator that designs plays based on a QB's abilities! It seems for the past 2 seasons Utah has been calling plays outside of Wynn's (and Cain's) abilities, and our offense was anemic. I think Utah is poised to do very well during it's first PAC-12 season.

GO UTES!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 9, 2011 8:22 a.m.

No discipline? Are you serious? What team have you been watching? The Utes were no less desciplined than any other team in the country.

• conservute Saint George, UT
    March 9, 2011 8:45 a.m.

Best hope for wins against WSU, CO,OSU, maybe UCLA finish 7th in PAC (pathetic alsoran clubs)

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 9, 2011 9:18 a.m.

I'm excited for the coming season. We have some great home games to look forward to and a 9-3 record is not out of reach. I hope the player's goals are high and they expect a lot from themselves.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 9, 2011 9:32 a.m.

Well the PAC-10.2 is just hoping that this new Ute offense will be very familiar to the old Chow offense they are used to!

Glad you Ute fans are getting excited for this, I am too! Just like the time right before the TCU, ND and BSU games last year, huh?

So this new offense is going to be 'tuned' around the QB? That's funny. What's it going to be called, a broken wing offense?

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    March 9, 2011 10:13 a.m.

A little note about Palamo: Played football in High School. Played on the National Samoan team as an 18 year old (youngest player ever) is roughly 6'3" runs a 4.4 forty and weighs in at 220. He has huge hands, palms a rugby ball. He's very shifty and quick, yet can run over you. I think he would be very dangerous on the swing pass and sweep (incredible open field runner). And at that size could run routes over the middle (got great hands). Looking forward to see what he can do...hopefully football isn't too confining for him. But the kid is an incredible athlete...in Rugby 7's Utah won the National Championship, beating perennial power Cal, and Bowling Green who drew skills players from their football team. Nobody in 7's runs slower than a 4.5 and Palamo ran circles around them. His first two steps are lightning fast. Should be fun, but I think he'll need a year to get in a groove.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 9, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Good luck Utes. I'll be cheering for you in every game, except one. Hopefully Wynn will recover quickly from his surgery. If he isn't 100%, it could be a long season.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 9, 2011 10:56 a.m.

"If he isn't 100%, it could be a long season."

Well we'll see how the other two fair in Spring, if they don't look like they can challenge Wynn then you may be right.

Sammyg give it a rest, you posts are so redunant and precictable there's really no point in reading them anymore.

• three11stu Saratoga Springs, UT
    March 9, 2011 11:06 a.m.

I am glad that the era of the mtn is over. I will finally be able to see some ute games this year.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 9, 2011 11:11 a.m.

seeing Chow at the U is shocking. It's like seeing a divorced man with a new wife.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    March 9, 2011 11:16 a.m.

Coug fans on here need to shut up. I bleed blue but you have to love what Utah has done here. Coach Chow will have the offense in full gear by fall time and Utah has tremendous talent. BYU needs to tend to it's own if we want to beat Utah this year. BTW, Utah fans, you might just be happier with Robles under center. Great size and tremendous mobility. He was a handful to coach against when he played at Spanish Fork High.

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    March 9, 2011 11:20 a.m.

Lets talk reality. Wynn was a 155lb high school QB who put on 40lbs to play college ball. He is still a petite injury prone QB who should be playing flag football at a junior college in Thayne, Wyoming. Biggest mistake Kyle has made up to this point. At least with the drop back scheme Wynn won't have to go into his fetal position and scream quite as fast as he did last year.

Prediction and I hope I have to eat my words

4-8 Hello BYU here we come
    5-7 the wheels have come off
    6-6 average
    7-5 good season My Prediction
    8-4 great year
    9-3 awesome
    10-2 Whoa Baby
    11-1 We are on our way to heaven and the Rose Bowl
    12-0 We are in a coma and all this is just a dream to play for National Champ.

I'm a Ute fan but Utah will lose to BYU in Provo this fall...just after losing to USC. 1-2 to start off with. It's gonna take some heart to hang in there. Wynn is injured against USC. Cause....Fear of taking a hit.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    March 9, 2011 11:38 a.m.

I'm laughing to myself thinking about when Utah fans wake up to how they are already being treated by the PAC fans and local sportscasters. All that attitude and arrogance as the supposed big dog of the WAC/MWC is wasted now, and for the first time you will be looked at by an entire conference as the stepchild. You should hear how local sports radio and the fans already talk about how badly they did bringing in UU into the PAC.

If ever a conference and a program deserved each other, it's the PAC and the UU. You guys are going to love the whiny, entitled and obnoxious fans that root for the UW, Oregon, or the "premier" CA schools.

Have a great time! LOL

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 9, 2011 11:46 a.m.

Just watched the Kwhitt press interview from yesterday. Interesting how he called out Palamo be name....

Either the Utes have a real diamond in the rough or the other guys ( who've played RB for many years) need to step it up.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    March 9, 2011 12:19 p.m.

re: WA_Alum&Dad | 11:38 a.m. March 9, 2011

Both Neuheisel & Kiffin liked the addition of the U. Further, I doubt PAC officials are hesitant about the Utes accomplishments and what they can add otherwise no invite would have been made.

It'd be foolish to treat the Utes like they were by pretty much everyone before the 2009 Sugar Bowl. The Utes have beaten enough PAC 10 Teams recently that should negate any doubt.

Unlike a certain private school (in state), The U does not rest on their laurels, focus on the glory days 20 yrs ago, or have a false sense of entitlement for whatever reason.

Respect is earned not given and so if the masses to the west are skeptical all the better.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 9, 2011 12:19 p.m.

"All that attitude and arrogance...You guys are going to love the whiny, entitled and obnoxious fans..."

---WA_Alum,

Sir, with your "LOL" and laughing to yourself, and the condescending remarks referring to the Utes as a stepchild, I figured you must be talking to yourself as well.

It's OK to be hypocritical though, as long as you're having fun.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 9, 2011 12:26 p.m.

I'm bleeding... "you posts are so redunant and precictable"

...as is your spelling.

Utes have some problems this year like... lost a good deal of depth with players graduating, adopting a whole new offense, an injured QB and playing in a better conference. All of this does not weigh in favor of a huge winning season but it will be interesting to see what happens this first year in the PAC-10.2.

Nonetheless, this fall will be exciting to watch, including Ute football.

So in your own words... "give it a rest".

• Al Bundy murray, ut
    March 9, 2011 12:27 p.m.

WA Alum- Utah will be fine! So they were a little down last year, Won the Sugar bowl the year before!!!!

Sammy G- As is often the case, you know very little about football!

• Juggernaut Cedar Hills, UT
    March 9, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Yes Wynn is small but this offense will be a good fit for him and if he does get hurt, Tyler Schreve is 6'3 225. According to the radio personalities that saw him at practice yesterday in person, he has a good arm. So the upcoming will be just as effective.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    March 9, 2011 12:49 p.m.

Sad to see the spread go out the door. But I think the offense Chow installs is the one he knows best. It worked for BYU and USC. Glad to see Chow not trying to install the pistol offense.

Still, it's the end of the "Urban Meyer" chapter.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:03 p.m.

WA_Alum please link some of your material, it's easy to spout heresay and make it up on the fly.

I'd be interested to read some of the negative comments from the media, fans don't count, you're never going to make everyone happy. All you have to do is read the Trolls who post on the other teams articles to realize that.

Spelling smack, the last refuge of the unimaginative and boring. Props on the attempt at an original thought though.

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Well, coming from a huge Coug fan, I honestly cant wait to see what the Utes can do there first season in the PAC.

I have to admit the athletes at RB are very impressive. I have had the opportunity to see Thretton Palamo play rugby in Las Vegas, and I will tell you what, if he is even half as good at football as he is at rugby, then look out. I had no idea he was competing for the RB position, that brings a very nice ingredient to the offense. Between him and Langi, it is possible we could see the best talent of RB's ever at the U.

The real problem however, is Wynn. As long as Wynn is leading the offense, we'll see a lot of ugly games against anyone with a decent defensive unit. TCU, ND, BSU, and even BYU exposed Wynn and the Ute offense. Utah was outscored by a total of 117-30.
    The QB position is the most important on the field, ESPECIALLY in a Norm Chow offense.
    This Utah team could be scary good.

But personally, I feel its time to invest in a new QB.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:07 p.m.

"Still, it's the end of the "Urban Meyer" chapter."

Such is progress, anyone who watched the last 6 games last year would agree it's time had come and something needed to change.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:14 p.m.

Al... "is often the case, you know very little about football!"

Could you please site some specifics about what I don't know about football? I'm dying to hear this since you apparently have so much to offer.

I simply state the simple facts and that's for the benefit of those that have a hard time spelling and using plain English. If you have nothing to back up your statements I surely have plenty of Ute facts as recent and relevant as to last season that can shed some light on the current subject.

Winning the Sugar Bowl two years ago is as relevant as BYU winning the NC as to how these teams are going into a new season, into a new conference or independence.

Also..."So they were a little down last year" ... in reference to an overall season of 10-3, yes I agree but when you look at the humiliatiing losses that 10-3 represents it says another story. And that my friend is what this conversation is all about.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Can't wait for this season to begin.

I'm not sure how many wins the Utes will end up with, but I think they will have enough to be bowl elligible and they will continue to build from there.

The jealousy from coog fans is music to my ears though. Keep it up sammyg - afterall your team did get beat by Utah State last year. Yeah you guys are a real powerhouse.

Reloading is something that every team in the NCAA faces every year. The Utes have had more to deal with than the coogs - probably because we have had a few players go into the NFL early. As much as that can hurt having them leave, it also speaks to the level of the program at the U.

I'm confident that Kyle will fill the positions - he does it every year. I'm also anxious to see the young QB's battle it out. Wynn needs someone pushing him and I think both of these guys can do just that.

Go Utes!

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:27 p.m.

"Thretton Palamo play rugby in Las Vegas, and I will tell you what, if he is even half as good at football as he is at rugby, then look out."

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    March 9, 2011 1:34 p.m.

"The U does not rest on their laurels, focus on the glory days 20 yrs ago, ..."

That's because the U doesn't have any glory days to remember and only a couple of laurels to rest on.

The PAC 12 isn't going to be impressed until the Utes actually accomplish something in the PAC 12.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:45 p.m.

Sammy

"Utes have some problems this year like... lost a good deal of depth with players graduating"

Interesting that you did NOT mention the players declaring early for the NFL. hmmm. My guess is that would look too favorably on the Utes for your taste and you would not want that to happen. The Utes have dealt with this every year. Nothing new.

Also, you mentioned how the Utes did against teams with a winning record. I'm sure you realize that byU was one of 4 wins that USU had..right? Too easy.

Can't wait for that game in September.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:51 p.m.

"The Utes better keep it close, because if the Utes lose at USC like they did at Notre Dame, lots of questions will be raised about whether the Utes should even be in the PAC 12."

Fair enough, but in reality they have nothing to prove outside of the realm of public opinion. They are not on a trail basis, it's not like they will rescind the invite if they don't win. It may very well require a few years to acclimate to the new confernece, Ute fans need to be patient.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 9, 2011 2:01 p.m.

utahcountytraitor...

You know I simply makes some relevant comments to the subject at hand and you go off topic. So to indulge you...

The first games last year were from a team with an idiotic two QB system and a bunch of green players as you well know. Those last 5 games were very different and by the way, a season is often remembered by how it finished. How was that Las Vegas Bowl, how did that work for you?

If it wasn't for those 3 games last year... EXPOSED

So this fall the Ute schedule is going to be easier than 2010? Right, it is and you're going to win as many if not more games in a tougher conference and with with Wynn. uh huh, yeah, I get it.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 9, 2011 2:23 p.m.

sammy,

You seem to be frothing at the mouth in a manic state of bitter jealousy - aren't you.

It's like you see the acronym PAC12 and fall to the ground in a temper tantrum....sounds like someone needs a time out.

LOL!

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    March 9, 2011 2:31 p.m.

"frothing at the mouth" is what hedgehogs do when confronted with anything positive about Cougars.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    March 9, 2011 3:24 p.m.

@Ibleedcrimson | 1:03 p.m. March 9, 2011
    "please link some of your material"

The fan comments are easy to find--look on any of the PAC-10 fan sites. I wish I could link some of the stuff said on KJR or 710 AM, our local sports stations the week of the announcement, but um, most sports radio stations don't transcribe their broadcasts. But you won't have to take my word for it. Soon you'll get to experience it.

• WA_UTE Kirkland, WA
    March 9, 2011 3:38 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad

"You should hear how local sports radio and the fans already talk about how badly they did bringing in UU into the PAC."

That is 100% false......I listen to 710 ESPN & 950 KJR (the 2 major sport stations in Western Washington) daily and have not once heard a local host say anything ill about the Utes joining the Pac-10.......nice try though.

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    March 9, 2011 3:51 p.m.

What most Utah fans don't realize is that in many places in PAC 10 country, Utah is viewed as a Mormon school, not much different than BYU.

It'll be interesting to see how the Utes react when they're subjected to anti-Mormon slurs when they're playing on the road.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    March 9, 2011 3:57 p.m.

re: WA_Alum&Dad | 3:24 p.m. March 9, 2011

"My point was all about the PAC fans. For the first time, Utah's fan base is going to feel what it is like to be treated like a hillbilly at a society wedding. You've dished it out for years; will you be able to take it?"

Yeah. The Utes and their fanbase have NEVER been looked down upon. Cough tds cough. Its the fans of the war kittys that have a hard time not being the "big fish in a small pond", seeing someone else succeed, or dealing with a contrary opinion.

Truthfully, Interesting analogy. Let me counter by saying that Country Club Republicans seem to like Sarah Palin. So, I think the U will be just fine.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    March 9, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Season tickets now require a large donation. Totally worth it. The crowds will be there. Can't wait to see the likes of UCLA, USC, Cal, Oregon coming to SLC.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 9, 2011 4:46 p.m.

I have to wonder what the Chow/BYU relationship is and for that matter the Edwards/Chow relationship. I have heard rumors that Chow is sour on both but rumors are seldom close to the truth.

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    March 9, 2011 6:02 p.m.

The key to success in 2011 is JORDAN WYNN. Kyle has put all his eggs on Wynn and I for one think its the biggest mistake of his coaching career. Its not IF Wynn goes down its WHEN he goes down. Wynn lost the team at the end of last season with his poor play and can't take a hit fact. Can he get it back? Only if Utah runs the ball 70% of the time and he only has to hand off the ball and not pass it. The receivers gave up on Wynn. Ball to high, Ball to low. Pray for Utah..... They are going to need it. With his shoulder injury he will be even more paranoid about getting hit. Could be a long year

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    March 9, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Sammy G is immature. Don't criticize grammar or punctuation on a comment board. This is not a term paper. Relax! Your cougars will be fine. My Utes will be better.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 9, 2011 7:10 p.m.

IbleedCrimson, a good example of a great rugby player that turned out pretty good at football is Highland's own Haloti Ngata.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 9, 2011 7:22 p.m.

sammyg soundbites:
    "So let's be honest, if you don't like a comment, simply state so but arguing against facts makes you look silly."

I think I'll give it a try.

"It won't be a cupcake season like you're used to and that's my point. Utes did not do well against teams with winning records and that's a fact or do I need to remind you?"

Utah's 2010 record vs teams that finished with a winning record: 4-3
    BYU's 2010 record vs teams that finished with a winning record: 2-5
    BYU's 2011 schedule has 8 teams that had losing records in 2011, 4 that had winning records (and that includes TCU in [place of LA Tech).

"Those last 5 games were very different and by the way, a season is often remembered by how it finished."

You're right. People will remember the "block party" for years to come.

"You can talk all the smack you want but by September the Utes will be again in that all too familiar fetal position."
    Utah's record in September from 2008-2010 seasons: 12-1.

sammyg, keep up your passion!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 9, 2011 7:25 p.m.

correction: BYU's 2011 schedule has 8 teams with losing records in 2010.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    March 9, 2011 7:45 p.m.

"I don't know squat about Rugby, are there other examples of a player who came from that sport that excelled in college football?"

Does the name "Morgan Scalley" ring a bell? Two-sport high school athlete: Football and National high school championship rugby player. "Palamo: Two-sport high school athlete: Football and Worlds youngest player to play at Rugby's highest level. He's the real deal...just have to see if he can find himself at the next level.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 9, 2011 8:55 p.m.

Mippy... you seem to think that I'm comparing BYU to Utah in all things, far from it.

I remember very well the last six games the Utes played, watched them all. Call me a closet Ute fan if you will. There were problems in every one of those games for the Utes.

AFA, exposed and almost beat the Utes.
    TCU, totally exposed
    ND, the luck of the Irish and a bench QB miracle
    SDSU, a come from behind lucky win
    BYU, one play, a twist of fate.
    BSU, say what you want.

So when I say the Utes had difficulty against winning teams you should truly understand the spirit of what I'm saying. So your stat of 4-3 does not really reflect the 'difficulty' factor I was referring to.

So with those last 6 games you feel the Utes have some real momentum going into a stronger conference this season? I'd say there are some concerns.

So don't try to compare apples to oranges, this is not about comparing BYU to Utah except for that one special game this September.

September can't come soon enough!

• WA_UTE Kirkland, WA
    March 9, 2011 9:39 p.m.

BYU is just another non-conference game to me now, a non-AQ team at that. I'm looking forward to bigger and better things. Hopefully Ute fans will move on as well and let the BYU fans rant and rave all they want........from the little kids table.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 9, 2011 10:27 p.m.

MiP

Projecting next season's SOS based on last season's records shows just how little you know about college football.

Teams like Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma can go from having a losing record and no bowl game one season to national championship contender the next season.

And, it can just as easily go the other way with a national championship contender having a break even or losing season the next year.

btw, people will remember that 7-47 meltdown against TCU in the biggest game in the history of Utah a lot longer than they will Utah lucky win over BYU. Not to mention Utahs embarrassing losses at Notre Dame and in the Las Vegas Bowl.

The nation was watching in all three of those games, and Utah laid a dinosaur-sized egg in all three.

Most fans outside of Utah couldn't even tell who won the Utah-BYU game.

• Texas Ute Fan Austin, Texas
    March 9, 2011 10:30 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad | 11:38 a.m. March 9, 2011
    Marysville, WA

You do understand that the University of Washington has one of the worst BCS football teams in the country, right? Only Washington State is worse.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 9, 2011 10:32 p.m.

"BYU is just another non-conference game to me now, a non-AQ team at that."

Sure it is!

Utah fans are totally obsessed with BYU, even when the Utes aren't playing BYU.

Losing to BYU will always hurt 10 times worse than losing to any PAC 12 team.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    March 10, 2011 2:25 a.m.

@sammyg

Yes like USU 38 BYU 16. Ooops that you.

Utah lost to 3 teams: #2, #9, #27

BYU lost to: #108

Does Utah have concerns in 2011? YES.
    But then again we could it be worse, we can be in BYUs shoes...

Hasn't won a non MWC final ranked team since the 90s.
    Hasn't played in January in 15 yeas.
    Hasn't had a undefeated season in 26 years.
    Used to have players like Steve Young... now they have Max Hall.
    Used to put more players in the NFL... now its Utah.
    Used to talk about joining a PAC-10... passed over for Utah.

Ron McBride:

"In the early years, I think BYU felt that they had outgrown the conference and their people were talking about how BYU would go to the Big 12 or the Pac-10. They used to come into the Utah game always talking about who they would be playing in their bowl game.... When we started beating them, they stopped talking about their bowl game.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    March 10, 2011 5:32 a.m.

Redfeather

Actually, most of us Utah fans do understand that Utah is viewed as a Mormon school and we get plenty of flack for it.

The first thing I heard when I got out of my car at the TCU game in '08 was, "Go home you (blank) Mormon)," yelled from a parking garage a block away.

I also spent some time in Tucson, when the whole student section chanted anti-Mormon slurs during a the '04 season.

So I don't think it is going to be that big of a change at all.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 10, 2011 7:26 a.m.

WA-Ute,

A total agree with you "BYU is just another Non Conference game".

Just like Montana St ect...

The tds should be iternally grateful Utah threw them a bone in their time a desperate need.

Going forward I hope Dr. Hill eliminates this game from the Utes schedule. As an elite conference memeber of the PAC12, one must chose its non-conference games very carefully. Does BYU offer enough upside to warrent being on Utahs schedule? I don't think so.

Y put the Utes in a position to play in essence a "practice" game for the Utes againts a school who's entire season rides on it? It's just bad business.

Utah now holds the dominate football position in the state of Utah....Y risk playing the downtrodden underlings... only bad can come of it.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    March 10, 2011 12:50 p.m.

re: Just the FAX | 10:32 p.m. March 9, 2011

"Utah fans are totally obsessed with BYU, even when the Utes aren't playing BYU."

The obsession is mutual.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 10, 2011 3:54 p.m.

"Does Utah have concerns in 2011? YES."

Well uteo that's a tremendous step for you isn't it? My point being made.

"Does BYU offer enough upside to warrent being on Utahs schedule? I don't think so."

Full of yourself, hedgie? That game is bigger than a good majority of what the Utes will play in the PAC-10.2, money wise and exposure.

Of course it won't look good losing to BYU on national tv as a non-conf will it? So I guess in a way I agree with you... and that's probably a first.

On the other hand as BYU's schedule improves (aka SOS) with the help of ESPN partnerships it could prove quite valuable IF the Utes can win in the future.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 10, 2011 5:56 p.m.

"Of course it won't look good losing to BYU on national tv as a non-conf will it? So I guess in a way I agree with you... and that's probably a first"

Sammy,

Glad we can agree.

Just ask Saban if he'd like to play Alabama St. on an annual basis...probably not.