BYU basketball: Jimmer Fredette's rise is no surprise to those who knew him

Comments

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:20 a.m.

When Jimmer signed with BYU and I read about his shooting abilitiy I thought he could be that secret find every coach dreams about. I wish I could have bought stock back then. And he is a likeable and honest spokesman to boot.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Feb. 28, 2011 6:19 a.m.

Jimmer is the kind of young man every Mormon father would love to have his daughter marry. Heck, he wouldn't even to have to ask me twice. He's is that special! Just win out and let the chips fall where they may come selection day! And if you do great and get to the Final Four or even win out the tournament, then it will be that much sweeter!!! It's such a fun time to be a Cougar fan. Go Jimmer!!! Go Cougars!!!

• Middle of the Road Home Town USA, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 6:59 a.m.

I think the word for surprise is more like the feeling SDSU has is dumbfounded. Dumbfounded that their double coverage on Jimmer was fuel for the fire. He outsmarted them by passing the ball to the open team mates and stole the show to boot. He is a selfless player and is there to win even if it means orchestrating the assists to make it happen.

He thinks quickly and is way ahead of the opposing team. The opposing coaches can see it for what it is. He is a smart cookie! Dave Rose has done a great job and has a similar quality of the Jimmer. He has watched Jimmer and helped develop his legend.

Great things are yet to come in an NBA career. But let's be grateful for his talent and ability on the court in NCAA games and focus on now.

BYU has a great team and they all work together. That is what is so prominent in watching them play so well. There appears to be a definite system out there when you watch them play. And play they do!!

It takes much self discipline to produce that.

Go COUGARS!!

• myjazz Ogden, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 7:05 a.m.

He carry's himself like a true winner and one that is respected. He will be a great pro. Jazz maybe?

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    Feb. 28, 2011 7:26 a.m.

I really like BYU this year. But there is always the fear that we will think we are good and loose to worse teams because we do not give our all. Come on Cougars. Stay tough in every game. Play like you did against SDSU in every remaining game and you will go far. Let up for a second and you will be mediocre.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 8:00 a.m.

good article

good shot Jimmer

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Jimmer's a great player, a great guy and a great missionary. I just had to say that!!!!!

• BYU Girl Kearns, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 10:31 a.m.

I love the Jimmer!!! and the Jimmerettes!!! Great Team this year. Go all the way Cougars--make us proud!!!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 8:57 p.m.

I think all the news stories about Jimmer and his life, his competitive nature nurtured by his brother, T.J., and his continual training to be better, all make for a terrific role model for all of us. Do your personal best, remember who you are, and act accordingly!

Go Cougars!