Dick Harmon: How wide-spread is Jimmer's popularity?

Comments

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 19, 2011 12:27 a.m.

He is not going to win POY award, nobody knows who he is and he is just average at other aspects of the game besides shooting. He is not going to get calls at the Thomas and Mack for the MWC tourney and he is not going to get calls in the NCAA tourney. Prediction....Yners will lose in the 2nd round of the MWC tourney, and if not the 1st round of the NCAA tourney, for sure the 2nd round. Dave Rose's teams peak to early in the season. I don't know how you coach a team when to peak, but year end and out, his teams are great in January, and in survival mode in February, and barely crawling in March. Its been a pretty consistent pattern. Yner fans should be worried, March 10th is coming, the day Boylen is fired and a REAL coach is hired at Utah. Until then, Utah is stuck with the worst coach in college basketball who has destroyed Utah basketball. Enjoy the ride Yners, it is about to end in 7 games, and Jimmer will be lucky to be a 2nd round pick in the NBA playing in Europe

• Delmar the Amazing Las vegas, NV
    Feb. 19, 2011 2:36 a.m.

you really think people in tcu country follow basketball???? They don't even know it exists. Espn is on everywhere. They obviously aren't bball fans. Dumb article

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 19, 2011 5:53 a.m.

Yes dick, you are correct. jimer is not know to the average sportsfan outside of the bubble.

In the Midwest, no one knows about the MWC, therefore no one knows or cares what a jimer is.

BYU will need to get to the elite 8 before jimer gets on the radar screen.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 8:16 a.m.

I read the comments posted so far and it was hard to tell who was whinig.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 8:37 a.m.

If you don't think Jimmer is going to win go see the ESPN poll from yesterday.

47% of the vote. The next highest was Sullinger with 19%. Jimmer won every state but Ohio, North Carolina and Connecticut.

I know fans aren't the voters for the John Wooden player of the year award but I'm pretty sure they reflect the opinion of the majority of people watching college basketball right now.

Jimmer is the best player!

And yes there will always be people like Michelle Peralta or those 4 Texans who don't know and don't care.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 8:41 a.m.

Yeah, no one follows college basketball any more. Go to a Ute game against anyone but BYU and the place is empty. Go to a Cougar game against anyone and you have to pay big bucks for a scalped ticket. Am I surprised that 4 people in Dallas haven't heard about Jimmer. No. Am I surprised by all the national stories about Jimmer. Absolutely. I hope we continue to win. I hope we win at least 2 games in the NCAA big dance. I hope the Utes keep Boylen over.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Feb. 19, 2011 8:44 a.m.

Sounds like "bigutefan" must live next to trevon willis. I think Trevon has learned his lesson though.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Don't feed the jealous, juvenile trolls!

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 9:00 a.m.

The whining seems to be coming from the team up North. Of course they do have a lot to whine about this year. I don't expect the Cougs to win the NC but no matter how far they go the fans will support them.. unlike the yewties who have trouble getting anyone to show up for a game.

• Mrclark Leesburg, VA
    Feb. 19, 2011 9:35 a.m.

They may not know about Jimmer in Dallas, but when I was waiting for a plane in Milwaukee two college aged guys came up to me and gushed about Jimmer (I was wearing a byu sweatshirt). I don't know where they were from, but definitely not from the MWC territory.

Should be fun once BYU has played against SDSU on CBS and then once the tourney begins.

• justmeagain Provo, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Hmm . . . asking 4 random people in Dallas. . . smart? Yeah right! Ask people who know who and what they are talking about. I suggest ESPN, Sports Illustrated, and NBA players. Or I guess you can just ask hedgehog because he seems to know SO much about basketball!

Get a life Dick! Texas is a football state and if you haven't noticed, TCU stinks at basketball. They don't care about Jimmer. They ended their football season with a perfect record and a #2 ranking. If you are going to ask someone who Jimmer is, ask someone who knows something about basketball. My students (even the ones who cheer for the team up north), call out, "Look at me! I am making a Jimmer shot!

We love you Jimmer and Jackson! Keep up the good work!

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 19, 2011 9:54 a.m.

It's amazing that Jimmer is worth all the dead space in the newspaper. Yes, he is a good player but not one that will get the recognition of the other players around the country.
    I'd much rather watch a team playing ball than watching one player take over and hog the ball.
    Go Aggies!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Whatever...

A random survey of people who probably couldn't tell you the name of the U.S. Vice-President either.

Most college basketball fans know who Jimmer is and that's really all that matters.

One thing is certain, all of the fans in soldout Daniel-Meyer Coliseum are looking forward to watching the Jimmer Show today.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Aggie84

You're just jealous.

The Aggies could have used a go-to star like Jimmer in Moscow.

Most great teams have a star -- Magic, Bird, Jordan, Kobe, the list goes on and on...

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:21 a.m.

If Jimmer were black and played for ___________ (fill in the blank) he would get more national coverage. The national sports media has their own agenda related to many things that have nothing to do with sports.

• KoopuTroopu Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:22 a.m.

I am a student living in Nova Scotia. I was working on a project the other day when a Canadian classmate of mine came over to me and said, "How about that Jimmer Fredette"?

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:26 a.m.

bigutefan
    The ute whining and envy about Jimmer is hilarious. All hat and no cattle certainly applies to the tun. With all of the practice, the utes should be more gracious losers.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Aggies

You're a funny guy.

Jimmer is averaging 4.3 assists per game, which is MUCH better than the Aggies assists leader, Brockeith Pane at 3.3 assists per game.

BYU and Utah State both average 15 assists per game.

So where's your statistical proof that Utah State is a much better "team" than BYU?

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Sorry, Dick Harmon, you dropped the ball on this article. Asking four random people in Dallas about Jimmer doesn't constitute a news article. I agreed with the blogger who said you might have asked them at the same time who the VP of the United States was, and they wouldn't have been able to answer correctly. Instead, ask four people standing in line for the BYU/TCU game today if they have heard of Jimmer. Then you'll have your news article! The "man on the street" knows little except keeping his head above water in horrible financial times!

Yes, also ask anyone who follows ESPN sports, and they will easily be able to answer. Jimmer is really a national hero among many sports fans, young and old, now. He is a great BB player, doing really well, and more importantly, it has not gone to his head.

Watch TrueBlue on BYUTV Wednesday nights. They have shown some fun insights on BYU's coach and team.

Go Cougars!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:45 a.m.

TeamJimmer_com has compiled a fun selection of Jimmer highlights for fans who still don't know who Jimmer is.

• Back Overland Park, KS
    Feb. 19, 2011 11:16 a.m.

Who cares how much people know about him, he's our homeboy? This has been a fun season, with lots of highlights - enjoy the ride! Jimmer most likely will make the NBA as a role player, Rose gets the most from above average players, and we get to sit back and enjoy. I love the spirit of the team and the university. I love the effort, and the icing on the cake would be a deep run into the tourney.

Too much fun!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 19, 2011 11:31 a.m.

since when has TCU done anything in Bball?
    who cares if Dallas doesn't know who Jimmer is? They will after today when he drops multiple 3's on them.

And also nobody outside of Hedgie's mom's basement knows who he is either.

• Chad S Derby, KS
    Feb. 19, 2011 11:43 a.m.

Hedgehog, you are wrong. I live in Kansas and work on a military base with people from all over the country. I can tell you that any man who watches ESPN and follows college basketball in my squadron can tell you exactly who Jimmer is and who he plays for.

All Harmon has done is establish that Jimmer isn't as widely known as, say, President Obama among those who don't follow college basketball.

• Rock Chalk BYU Lawrence, KS
    Feb. 19, 2011 11:51 a.m.

@hedgehog, I live in the Midwest, and I teach at a basketball-mad university. Plenty of people know who Jimmer Fredette is. Plenty.

I think the best point Dick makes is that if you asked random people the same questions about POY candidates from previous years, you would get the same result. Dick is just geeking out about Jimmermania, and he he found out that Joe pedestrian was a bit of a buzz kill.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 12:00 p.m.

@bigutefan

I happen to be in Las Vegas this very moment. Last night I was at the batting cages on Rancho and Alexander just off of Craig watching my young cousin take some BP. I was wearing a BYU hat. Two of the coaches from his team, non LDS guys, came up and asked me about Jimmer, said they saw him all the time on sportscenter and wanted to know if I thought he was as good as the highlights they see several times per week. I assured them he is.

One of the kids that was also at the cages, not on my cousins team, also saw my hat and yelled out "Jimmer Jredette!" as we were standing there. Now I suppose he might have been an LDS kid as there are alot of them in Las Vegas but obviously he is known, and respected, by fans out side of Provo.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 12:42 p.m.

I'll pay homage to the Jimmer if/when the y makes it to the elite 8.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Dick's "Golden Questions" of Jimmer:

* Have you ever heard of Jimmer Fredette?

* Would you like to know more?

Spreading of gospel of Jimmer, one question at a time...

• BYUBenji Provo, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 2:48 p.m.

I was at a medical school interview in Syracuse and only 1 or 2 out of the 10 there hadn't heard of Jimmer. As soon as I said I went to BYU that's all they wanted to talk about.
    I sat by the wife of Syracuse's womens basketball coach on the plane ride home and she said she and her husband love to watch Jimmer highlights. College basketball fans know Jimmer.
    Your random hotel worker, or Hedgehog's acquaintances in MI might not, but sports fans know him and love him.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Yes the boo birds from the hill are alive and well. It is a slow, very slow BB news day, month, year up at the U so what do bored eutes do ? They come on a BYU blog site and expose there weak minded analysis of basketball.

Get used to the boredom eutes, the basement of the pac 12 will be a lonely place.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 5:09 p.m.

@Big Hapa

When Jimmer boy is playing in Europe, the BYU faithful will quickly realize that the WCC is a low rent district compared to the exclusive gated-community of the PAC 12.

Anyone can get in the WCC. The PAC 12 is a bit more selective.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Howard S. "Anyone can get in the WCC. The PAC 12 is a bit more selective." Uh, did you forget that Colorado was invited in at the same time as the Ew of Ew? Not all that selective. When it come tournament time the WCC does just as well as the PAC10.2.

The bottom team in the WCC beat Utah this year too. Maybe the PAC needs to rethink their selection process.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 5:39 p.m.

@Cougars1

"When it come tournament time the WCC does just as well as the PAC10.2."

Okay, lets talk tournament performance. Utah was in the Sweet Sixteen in 2005.

BYU was in the Sweet Sixteen in 1981. That's 29 years years ago for those who are counting.

I expect a 30 year Sweet Sixteen shutout for the Jimmer lead BYU Cougars.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 6:38 p.m.

It is very difficult to get into the WCC. You must have faith. The Utes would never be invited. Only a weak conference like the PAC10 wanted U after they were rejected by the Texas crowd. Now the PAC12 will be so watered down the Rose Bowl might have to dump them for folks that really matter like TCU. Trash talk is so easy to do.
    So let's just wait a few years and recheck where we both are. Maybe we'll both agree that neither is a power in sports and isn't likely to be any time soon. Things do change.

UCLA and PAC8 used to be the dominant power in basketball. (Big East and Acc now)
    USC used to be dominant in football. (SEC now)
    PAC8/10/12 is bigger but not better. Power is steadily shifting East and South. We both better get used to it or do something about it like Boise State and TCU.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 6:46 p.m.

Yes Howard, and how have the yewts done since then. The last time they were in the tournament they got a 5 seed and got blasted by a 12 seed. Utah is trending down. Boylen has set the program back so far, it may take years to rebound.

As a Utah fan you SHOULD be happy with the PAC invite. FYI, BYU fans are very happy with the move to go indy in football and to the WCC with other sports. I know it can be hard for yewt fans to wrap their tiny little brains around that, but it is the way it is, and the fact is for the past several years BYU has competed with Utah in football and owned them in basketball as well as most of the olympic sports.

This may be the first year one of the schools has lost the football game but still manages to dominate in the Deseret First Duel.

Good luck in the PAC, honestly; and I hope some day you are able to get over your bitterness toward BYU. Then again, why bother; it actually makes these boards entertaining to read.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 7:07 p.m.

@Cougars1

The Deseret Duel??? The Deseret Dual????

Really... You must work for Deseret First because NO ONE, Ute or Cougar, cares one whit about the outcome of the Deseret Duel.

Oh, except Deseret First.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 19, 2011 7:20 p.m.

"It is very difficult to get into the WCC. You must have faith"

Tommutwoshoes,

What? I'm guessing you just made that up to make you feel better. Most national sports fans have know idea what the WCC stand for - you know that right?

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 8:42 p.m.

Howard S., that reaction would be what one would expect from a fan of the team getting their butts handed to them. I promise the athletes from the respective schools care about the outcome. Try not to let your OCD show so much.

• Bigdude Twin Falls, ID
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:31 p.m.

4 people in Texas haven't heard of Jimmer. That's very statistically telling. If you watch ESPN once a week, you know who Jimmer is, the Utes, Aggies, Aztecs, and Rebels definitely know who he is.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 11:08 p.m.

Can't wait for the Cougars to be on ESPN and BYUtv.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 11:27 p.m.

@Cougars1

Oh, well if you PROMISE that the athletes care about the DFD, then you must be right.

I stand corrected.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 12:12 a.m.

Hey, we know who Hedgie and bigutefan are and we're not impressed. Same old thing, dad after day.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 12:24 a.m.

To Howard S: You are correct. The PAC presidents wouldn't let Peter in, if by chance he wanted in, which I guarantee he wouldn't. Nor will he let but very few of them into the place where he is. Think about it - it is pretty profound. BYU wouldn't fit in the PAC 12 - wouldn't feel comfortable, neither does the PAC 12 feel comfortable about BYU being there. So I think both sides are happy. Why aren't you?

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 12:33 a.m.

Hedgehog: I have an idea about some things and I may have "no" idea about other things, but I do not have "know" idea about anything.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 1:11 a.m.

I agree with Howard. Why would "HE" care? Of course he hides his head in the sand about any statistical data that isn't BCS invite 1-0.

Here, bro, I'll help ya out.

"BYU claimed the 2009-10 Deseret First Duel championship, symbolic of athletic supremacy between the pair of in-state rivals. In 2009-2010, the Cougars won 45 1/2 - 15 1/2, the largest margin of victory to date in the rivalry series' point total. Points are awarded to the winner of the 12 sports in which the two schools compete head-to-head."

This years score is 28-16 BYU. Utah earned 10 points for football.

It compares the "athletic prowess" (Larry Scott likes that term) of both Universities whole athletic program head-to-head.

Your welcome.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 20, 2011 8:46 a.m.

Dick may be a good sports writter, but he's not going to be working for Gallup anytime soon.

The sampling data was frought with mistakes and he had an "n" of 4?

His point is taken though: even those admitted "fans" didn't know who Jimmer was, which means he's not as ubiquitous outside of Utah as some might think. Sure a few med school interviewees in Syracuse and a few RockChalkers have heard of him----but that doesn't mean he's beloved by everyone in the Midwest and East coast. No reason to testify. Still plenty of folks who have no idea who Aaron Rogers is, too.

But who cares? It doesn't affect Jimmer's game. He'll still probably win POY. And even more glory can come in the tourney. Think Wally Szczerbiak. I hadn't heard of his until he was dismantling the #2 seed Utes in round two of 1999.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 9:53 a.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

"BYU claimed the 2009-10 Deseret First Duel championship, symbolic of athletic supremacy between the pair of in-state rivals."
    ****************

Whoa... Hold the presses...

Does the BIG 12 know that BYU has claimed the prestigious DFD (advertising campaign) championship?

When they find out they will certainly, and immediately, extend an invitation for BYU to join their conference.

The invitation will assuredly be accompanied by a sincere apology that they were so shortsighted as to not have extend the invitation sooner.

And of course, when the PAC 12 finds out they will immediately withdraw their invitation to Utah.

... either that... or no one will either notice or care...

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 10:03 a.m.

MiP

"Think Wally Szczerbiak. I hadn't heard of his until he was dismantling the #2 seed Utes in round two of 1999."
    **************

Right MiP - it's kind of like the dozens of nameless players who have dismantled the Cougars since their last tournament success in... let's see... oh, right... in 1981.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Howard S. | 5:09 p.m.
    Taylorsville, UT

Anyone can get in the WCC. The PAC 12 is a bit more selective.
    ===

Utah could not get a WCC invite.

During the massive upheaval of conference affiliations in the 1990s, the WCC remained very stable. It has not had a school join or leave for nearly 30 years (the last change of membership was in 1980, when Seattle University left the conference). Before the 2010 realignment that eventually led to BYU joining the conference, only the Ivy League and Pac-10 had remained unchanged for a longer period.

Although the conference has had public universities as members in the past, and one of its founding members was a public school, the current membership is seen as hostile to admitting any public institutions.

Eventually, with the 2010 realignment opening up new avenues for expansion, the WCC decided to revisit expansion plans. The conference decided that it would only seek out private schools, but would not limit its search to faith-based institutions.

Since you seem happy to base your Universities "athletic prowess" solely on "invites", and refuse to factor in "competition", or reality, using uninformed generalizations, in "your mind only" -- nice arguements...

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 11:18 a.m.

Howard S. | 5:09 p.m.

Utah and BYU are both headed out of the MWC, and are taking different paths. Both have improved their situations, and both are going to benefit from their new affiliations.

I'm going to guess that after going 1-9 against BYU in the last ten matchups, Utah is looking forward to moving out of the shadow of BYU basketball.

Best of luck to Utah.

If they bring in the right coach, or Boylen decides to learn how to win, I would like to see both local schools do well.

But, not is not really the time to claim any meaningful "athletic prowess" by Utah over the BYU.

It just does not exist.

===

Regarding Harmon's poll, really, someone behind bullet-proof glass does not know Jimmer.

ESPN had rolling down the LH side of the screen last night... "The Jimmer Show"...

I'm sure if you polled people in a sports-bar, your results might have been different.

Just curious, is there an editor at the DesNews Sportsdesk that reads these story concepts? How does half of this "news" even get printed?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 5:21 p.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

"Eventually, with the 2010 realignment opening up new avenues for expansion, the WCC decided to revisit expansion plans."
    ***************

V.A. - You make it all sound so rational and reasoned.

The truth is that BYU approached the WCC begging for a spot for non-football sports so the could pursue the path of independence for football.

And of course football independence was drive by the urgent necessity of avoiding any perception that the Cougars were being left behind by Utah in the realignment of 2010.

Bottom line is that BYU makes themselves such a nuisance that no conference wants them, not the PAC 10, not the BIG 12, not the MWC, not even the WAC.

Enter the WCC "deciding" to revisiting expansion plans.

• Everybody Wang Chung Tonight Riverton, Utah
    Feb. 20, 2011 5:21 p.m.

I've said it over and over again, BYU is going to do great in the WCC/PCC. I can't remember which conference it is. Oh well, whatever conference, BYU will do great.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 20, 2011 10:21 p.m.

Howard S., I ama little surprised at your efforts to spin a lie. The truth is that the WCC has in the past expressed interest in BYU joining their conference. The reason is that BYU has explored the option of Independence more than once over the past several years. The truth is that the MWC did everything in it's power to sabotage BYU's plans to go indy because they did not want to lose their biggest revenue producer. The PAC never wanted BYU and that's ok. As a BYU fan even I am willing to admit that the PAC is not a good fit for BYU; mostly because the Presidents of PAC Universities do not want BYU in the conference.
    The Big 12 was about to extend an invite to BYU years ago, but we all know that the Governor of Texas(Baylor Alum) pressured them into inviting Baylor instead of BYU. BYU has been preparing to go Independent for about 10 years, so don't act like they did this on a whim. Utah going to the PAC was part of that decision, but not all of it. Get your facts strait.