Brad Rock: Karl Malone demonstrates the gift of gratitude

Comments

• Wild Blue Abilene, TX
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:53 a.m.

So what are the odds he runs to LA to sing the praises of Phyllis Jackson and how he wants to carry on his enduring legacy in a year or so when he retires?

Malone Loyalty?

harumpf.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:08 a.m.

Great article.

I'm not bitter about Malone leaving, he wanted a championship and he tried his best to get one with Stockton (he could have left Stockton.) It was obvious that once Stockton left he didn't have a chance with the Jazz.

You can disagree with me, that's fine. But I just want to say that I'm not bitter towards Malone.

• Making Sense Herriman, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:26 a.m.

It was nice to find myself nodding while watching Malone discuss the oldschool logo on the court and the jerseys while challenging the players of today to play oldschool.

Now Malone needs to use his influence to get a statue of a lofer-stomping Sloan out there next to Malone's and Stock's.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:44 a.m.

Malone would be a great coach but still too much of a loose canon.

But perhaps if the Jazz continue in their current coach hring practices he would fit.

Do any teaams in the NBA fear AK or Hayward or Bell or Fez as a shooter? I would hope not yet the Jazz promoted their shooting coach.

I hope we can only chalk that up to Corbins inexperience as a head coach.

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:55 a.m.

I admit being mad at Karl when he left, but I understand why he did it. He didn't want to retire but he just couldn't play here without John. The fact that he went to the Lakers kinda stung, but lately he has shown his love for Utah.

We saw him last summer at Lagoon, on his birthday (Pioneer Day). Lots of people were approaching him, wanting to chat and take pictures or get autographs. From what we saw he was nice to every one of them, stopping to shake hands and talk to people he knew had been his fans and helped him achieve everything he did. His family had asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday, and his 1st choice was to spend some time in Utah. That's loyalty and gratitude at work. As far as I'm concerned, Karl did more for this state and franchise than we did for him and he'll always be welcome here.

• knightrider Hurricane, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:02 a.m.

Doug10,

Hornacek can only give those players the tools to be good shooters. It's up to the players after that to work hard enough to become good shooters. I think he's a great hire.

• Snark Provo, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:11 a.m.

If you choose to remember the bitter, you will remain bitter. There is too much to remember about Carl that is remarkable to waste mental space or energy fastidiously transfixed on warts. I love the guy and would be really excited to have him take a role with the Jazz again. If that is not possible, I hope that Carl and Jerry form a partnership where Jerry produces the crops with his John Deere cultivated farm and Carl takes them to market with his 18 wheeler. They both have the kind of work ethic and mental toughness that leads me to believe that any enterprize they launched would prosper on the basis of sweat, will and shear determination.

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 9:40 a.m.

MAIL!

• Bulldog8 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Snark,

Love the comments but please learn how to spell Karl...

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Seriously doug10??
    Bell had been shooting very well before he got hurt and Hayward (in his first playing with the NBA 3-point line, mind you) is money from 18 feet and his range will only improve.
    Then you throw in Fes and AK with those guys? Really? Saying Fes cant shoot is like saying Shaq cant shoot free throws... Its a given. And AK needs to stop shooting jumpers but how do you blame that on Hornacek?

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:59 a.m.

Doug: You need to give it a rest. I know you must have something against Hornacek but try and be a little more unbiased. Maybe he couldn't teach the likes of AK and Fes to become shooters but as a player he got by because he was smart not athletic. Maybe he was promoted because of his basketball IQ. Either way, I think he deserves more of a chance then his 3 game sample and his stint as a part time shooting coach.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 18, 2011 11:27 a.m.

This team has no heart. Karl had heart.

A guy like Karl can say whatever he wanted because he backed it up on the court.

On top of that, he had the athletic ability and size to play in the NBA. That helps as much as heart.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Feb. 18, 2011 11:38 a.m.

I started watch Malone when I was a young man, and Malone alone was the person I most admired in pro basketball. His character, his skill, his drive, his loyalty, his heart is as big as Utah. When my daughter was dieing in an Albuquerque hospital, all she wanted was his autograph. We did all we could to get it...It didn't matter....After she got well, we saw Malone, a mountain of a man play the Nuggets in Denver. Malone represented everything that was good about the NBA with Stockton and yes Jerry Sloan. This giant of a man helped my daughter get well.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:10 p.m.

I find it hard to believe that a true fan of Karl Malone would misspell his name and then do it not just once but multiple times?

Too many posers ...

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Doug seriously dude give it a rest! Kirilenko is a much better shooter than before he started working with Hornacek.

You way overrate what a shooting coach can do. These guys are NBA players if they haven't put in the time to learn how to shoot a jumper by now or don't put in the time now it doesn't matter who coaches them!!!

You should be placing the blame for having players who can't shoot on Kevin O'Connor not on Jeff Hornacek. Expecting a part time shooting coach to teach players who have never been good shooters to be good shooters is totally unrealistic.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:32 p.m.

I love the picture of Karl hugging Paul Milsap. I wish Malone would come back in some form of mentoring capacity. He has a lot he could teach the team about defense, conditioning and playing through adversity.

A long time ago I remember watching Karl guard Shaq in a very heated game. He frustrated Oneal again and again by slapping away the ball and by not allowing Shaq to bulldoze his way into the paint.

At the time, Malone was the only power forward in the league that could have guarded Shaq by himself and do a great job of it.

The Jazz need to play more like Karl Malone.

By the way, Karl still looks to be in near prime condition. I'd pay real money to see him go up against Jefferson or Paul in a scrimmage.

Malone might have slowed down a bit but I would be willing to bet he would more than make up for it with cunning and guile.

• SCUte Rock Hill, SC
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:44 p.m.

I love Karl Malone. We have two things in common. We both spell our name Karl the correct way and we both weigh the same. I am unfortunately - too short for my weight...

• Johnny7X Clifton, NJ
    Feb. 18, 2011 12:55 p.m.

I never understood the anger about Karl Malone leaving for the Lakers. He was 40 and past his prime, you guys are acting like he pulled a Lebron. I have been a Jazz fan for about 20 years, and I remember when Malone went to the Lakers, I was happy for him. I watched just about every Laker game that year and rooted hard for him to win a championship. The guy left everything on the court for the Jazz for 18 years, what else did you want from the guy?

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 1:53 p.m.

I recall little, if any, anger at Malone for leaving; certainly not from LHM, Sloan or KOC. He was FORTY freakin' years old! The Jazz had to rebuild and Karl deserved one last shot on the vet minimum salary. Sloan did his career best job that season and Karl gets his ring if he's healthy and Kobe not traitorous during the Finals.

Whatever his deep flaws on (and more significantly, off) the court, Malone and Sloan, Johnson, Stockton & Hornacek gave it their all every game. They couldn't beat Jordan or Olajuwon. Not many could.

Malone would be an excellent mentor/training camp advisor, but not a full-time bench coach. LHM gave a long interview once on why not; mainly he'd get bored, and also wonder why the players didn't play & work out as hard as he did. Great players are very rarely even average coaches, tho Tim Duncan I could see being an exception.

Larry Bird was pretty good but burned out quick, Magic couldn't handle it at all, and Jordan would kill somebody.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Bottom line, at the pro level you can't teach a player to shoot. He can either shoot or he can't. Modest gains can be made (by a scant few) but basically ou can forget about teaching Kirilenko or Hayward how to shoot. You usually can take what they did in college and subtract a few percentage points (for superior pro defense vs. college) and that's what you can expect a player to shoot. Bottom line players John Stockton and Hornacek and even Malone shot a high percentage in college, and they shot a high percentage in the pros. What you can do is coach a player to know his limitations. Kirilenko should never take a shot unless it's a three-pointer in rythym or a dunk. But don't think Kirilenko or Hayward are going to develop a mid range shot that is reliable anytime soon.

Hornacek should be a coach period, more than a shooting coach. Also, hitting coaches don't teach pros to hit either, they usually can screw up a few hitters on their roster thus ending their coaching careers. Staying out of the way generally is the best option...

• sputterish Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 18, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Very nice article. Thanks, Brad Rock.

• the Mailman Melbourne, Victoria
    Feb. 18, 2011 5:44 p.m.

By the look of him big Karl could make a comeback. He still looks in good shape. Even if it is only to throw a few accidental stray elbows around.

That guy is an absolute legend of the NBA and with John Stockton stands head and shoulders above anything else the Jazz have ever produced. The looks on Deron's and Andrei's face sayd plenty about the respect he must still have around the place. How anyone could still be bitter about him leaving is beyond me.

Awesome player but i'm not sure he would have the nous to make it as a coach.. not yet anyway.

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 8:27 p.m.

I don't understand the complaints about Malone, now or then. He was one of the great all time players in the history of the game. He didn't come that way but made himself into one of the greats through hard work and dedication. Like many big men he came into the league with a lot more physical ability than skills but learned everything he could. He couldn't even shoot free throws but became a competent free throw shooter, unlike many other big men pro basketball players. Not living in Utah I didn't grow up a Jazz fan but I would have loved to have him on my teams. Sure, he's not perfect, but who is, particularly living under a microscope in Utah of all places, with no other pro teams to dilute the attention. Again, I didn't grow up a Jazz fan, even hated them for a while, but Malone is one of my all time favorite players, if not my favorite. Hard worker, great player, good man (and I am aware of the mistakes in his life).

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Feb. 18, 2011 10:12 p.m.

Karl Malone has guts...he calls it like he see's it. The fans are not stupid, either.

Boler, Greg, O'Connell, Rigby...The company men...they will spin it! They are fooling each other into buying their own Spin, but they are the only ones fooled!

Jerry Sloan was the Jazz! These other guys were just riding along!

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Feb. 19, 2011 6:23 a.m.

Karl "was"arrogant when he left.
    The only reason he's doing what he's doing it's the last stage he stand on and get the attention he's looking for.
    Cuddling up to Sloan is simply a PR move.
    Nice choke job again Karl.

• Large Tuna Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 10:26 a.m.

This article would have been a great read LAST week. Sorry Rock, I'm looking for news here...

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2011 3:41 p.m.

I am a huge fan of Karl Malone and always will be. I can't understand how anyone can criticize his career here in Utah. His work ethic was second to none, and he gave us everything he had. Too many people act as if he owes them something. I wish him well in whatever transpires in his life. He deserves it.