Utah Jazz: Jerry Sloan era officially ends; Tyrone Corbin named new coach

Comments

• Resolute Voice Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Greg Miller has zero credibility on this issue. He forced Jerry out when he ignored the coach in favor of a player who is not loyal to the franchise and has constantly whined. Miller's opening statement says it all. He reinforced an idea that did not need strengthening unless there was truth to the reports that Jerry was less valuable than a diva.

Good luck to Corbin I wish him well. Do not upset your players or you will be out as well. Greg Miller has made that clear with his actions and his hollow words.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:45 p.m.

Now if we can just get DWILL to quit and join his ultraego Allen Iverson in obscurity~!

Who needs practice?

Who needs a game plan or aa coach ?

When you are as good as DWill and Iverson...they are the best ever, legends in their own minds~~

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:49 p.m.

Jerry quits because management sided with a star athlete over him. Watch as that star athlete leaves the Jazz after next year(or before) as a nice "THANK YOU" for their support. I am really surprised that the Millers let this go down this way. I wouldn't blame Jerry if he left Utah today and never came back. Letting spoiled millionaire athletes dictate to the teams coach and leaders lead to the demise of that team. Maybe it was time for something like this and maybe not but they way it happened stinks.

• Snark Provo, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:51 p.m.

I loved Jerry's hard-nosed blue collar style of basketball. It stressed execution and team defense. In a small market like Utah that has been a magical combination for alot of years. We will miss you Jerry. Thank you for many, many years of great memories and for building a culture and tradition of winning with class. Bring your John Deere to Utah and hang with us. We will always think of you as a native son!

• GKD43 Maple Valley, WA
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:56 p.m.

Congrats to Tyrone Corbin: Everyone has to start somewhere and he has paid his dues to the Organization much like Via S. Blogs on the coaching changes at BYU.The Jazz are about Family and I'am sure they asked for and received Jerry Sloan's opinion as to the hiring of Ty. There is not a better person with insight to what it take to be successful then Jerry Sloan. Jerry Thanks for your years of service you'll be missed but never forgotten.

• Golfhack20 West Jordan, Ut
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:01 p.m.

I for one will not be sitting in my seson ticket seats for a while until I can cool down. To hear that gutless wonder Greg M. Talk about loyalty and then send the most loyal guys packing. WOW what a joke!!! DWILL is gone next year! His name will never hang in the rafters like Sloan and Johnson. You chose wrong Greg and you know it!!!!

• We the People Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:02 p.m.

After seeing the reaction of the Millers and Sloan, I have no doubt that Sloan was forced out because the team values DWill's opinion more than Sloan's opinion.

I do not blame Dwill's frustrations, though; the Jazz management simply does not care enough to surround him with enough talent.

• Chachi Charlottesville, VA
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Maybe Mubarak will follow his example.

• Boise Bill Meridian, ID
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:04 p.m.

Thanks for all you've done Jerry. You will be sorely missed.

Hey DWill- sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

• djp0203 Holladay, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:04 p.m.

I just can't cheer for a D-Will led Jazz for too long. While I don't agree with some of Sloan's style, who can argue with his ethic?

We'll wait to be Jazz fans again when we get some players who care more than about themselves.

For now, we'll cheer for the Celtics.

• runwasatch Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:04 p.m.

Wow!

The Millers can now save tons of money by letting the punk D Williams be staring guard and coach. He obviously knows more about winning than Sloan...

This will eventually effect the entire league... punk players running rabid over the coaches.

I must admit, though, the resulting NBA implosion will be a joy to observe!!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:06 p.m.

Poor Larry must be looking on in disgust. Larry would have NEVER allowed this to go down this way!! How quickly his house crumbles after he is gone. This is a sad, sad day for Jazz fans.

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:07 p.m.

This is too bad... i know things are going downhill for the jazz but in my eyes things will just go down steeper. that is such a loss and things will be so hard to start back up when something like this happens. hopefully ty can pick things up. but after something like this i dont think it is going to happen. thank you jerry for all that you have done. you will always be in our hearts. and best of luck to ty. i just think it is too late to pic things up and things will just go down from here

• Lifelong Democrat Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:07 p.m.

Nice Deron, I hope you're happy. Andrei how about earning the $17 million and play with pain for once? Memo ditto. Greg Miller is no Larry!

• ElDorado Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:08 p.m.

Afraid this is the first of many moves by Greg Miller that will ultimately mean the Jazz leave the state. Greg will drive the franchise into the ground. Larry could deal with Jerry's ego because Larry knew who he was. Greg always felt threatened by Jerry, given his own insecurities.

Sad day for Utah sports fans.

• rs12to32 Nampa, Idaho
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:08 p.m.

Thanks Coach Sloan for everything, for loyalty and integrity.

Hope everyone is happy with the last year and half we have DivaWilliams for. Gurantee he leaves faster than Raja did when he signed with the Suns.

• Jazzsmack Holladay, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:10 p.m.

It's about time.

Sloan and hi9 system, and his horrible game time coaching, and lack of ability to strategize other than tinker with lineups has held back the jazz from winning a championship for 23 years.

History has shown you win championships with great or superstar SGs and SFs,

not PGs and PFs, PFs have no abilty to handle the ball and create offense. (and the 5 can't rebound_or_score fromthe 3_point line)

now all the jazz need is get rid of the draft mistake named dwill.

and rebuild the right way,

Slaon was_great if you want to_win_some regular season games,

but he couldn't win a champioship, not even with two of the supposedly greatest players playing_the prime positions of his system,

you_win championships with players who can handle the ball, shoot and create and make things happen.

everything else is a supporting position,
    and you_don't win chamionships with supporting players no matter how good they are.

Hopefully corbin is just filling_in to the end of the season, then the jazz can get a real coach, who wants the best players on his team and not just players that fit his go-nowhere system, and_can_actually_coach_and_stategize

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Greg fought with Larry much like DWill does with Jerry....not surprised Greg didn't learn anything...its telling of the difference between Greg and his father Larry!

Larry would have told DWill to pack his bags.....

whereas Jerry told Greg he was not his father...

• Captain Kanab, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Larry H. must be rolling in his grave. He leaves his son in charge and look what happens. If he was still around we would still have Jerry.
    Thanks for all the good years Coach. I grew up watching you and you are part of some of my fondist childhood memories. I have never know another Jazz coach good luck Coach Corbin. Lets get this team on track.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Great day as the Jazz move forward, now Kevin needs to be next...If people do not like it and threaten to leave, no worries I will take them in Anaheim

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:28 p.m.

Larry just rolled over in his grave...

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:29 p.m.

When a grumpy, turn over prone, Charmin like Williams
    is calling the shots, its time for the fans to move on too. I will miss the last of the great coaches, and men in the NBA...It is a dark, dismal day for everyone..Someone buy Williams a ticket out of town..I hope he leaves like Boozer.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:31 p.m.

I think it's ridiculous that the majority of posters today are making this out to be DWill's fault. The fair weather fans in this state make me sick!!

I recall reading many many posts over the past few months claiming the game has passed Sloan by and how he can't relate to today's athlete. Something has been done about that and you all claim it is our one lone star's fault!! I for one absolutely appreciate all Jerry gave to the organization over his great tenure but I truly believe it is time for the franchise to move in a new direction and I guarantee all you DWill bashers will be eating your words.

• What Yeah Centerville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Thanks, Coach Sloan.
    You are what the NBA should be.
    You are a representation of what we need in society - hard working employees that never complain or place blame on others.
    You have showed up to work every day, and have been an example to me for my entire life.

Good luck, Coach. I'll always consider you as one of the greats.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Jerry Sloan, you are a class act. Now go and smell the roses, enjoy life, and laugh at the circus.

• manutd Milford, CT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:36 p.m.

what is up with dwill. throwing balls at rookies. getting sloan the boot. thought he was better than that.

i guess we have been spoiled all these years with malone and stockton. the new generation just doesn't get it.

i say trade dwill for a legitimate athletic center, and draft jimmer or another point guard and start rebuilding.

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Too many accusations about Miller and Williams.

Much of this looks exactly like what Jerry and Phil say it was.

There will always, however, be the lingering question of how Jerry and Phil lost this team. When your ability to influence what happens on the floor dissipates, there is no reason to continue.

• Michael Drew Austin, TX
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:43 p.m.

Shame on Williams. Clearly he didn't go back to coach Sloan and lobby for him to stay. He has lost my respect and support.

• poorbenny South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:46 p.m.

Jerry Sloan has been an incredible coach for the Utah Jazz. I know of nothing that DWill has said to make this happen. I know something went down to cause the sudden resignation. However, as a true Jazz fan I will continue to cheer for the Jazz no matter what. I even cheered when we had Arroyo and Ostertag...(not pretty years in our history) After 24 years, we can only be grateful and hope that we dont get a coach like Isaiah Thomas. LETS GO JAZZ!

• carabaoU Moab, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:49 p.m.

I guess some of you missed the remarks that everyone in the team management was trying to talk Jerry out of leaving. It started last night in the locker room and they kept trying to talk him out of it until the press conference. It seems Jerry has had enough. Probably had enough teaching to the kids with their ipods in their ears. Don't know what you got til it is gone.

• Lifelong Democrat Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:50 p.m.

I'm sure if Larry Miller were alive, it would be Deron Williams on his way out of town. When will these so called stars grasp their relative insignificance in the grand scheme of things? They get huge sums on money and don't give the effort commensurate with their salary. Where are you John Stockton?

• Cache Valley1 Logan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:50 p.m.

D-Will needs to be booed tomorrow night. We can still love the guy, but he needs to know he ISN'T the Utah Jazz.

• Colorado girl Small Town, CO
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:51 p.m.

A sincere thank you to Jerry Sloan and his coaching team. You will be missed!

• Gdot-aka-whitelightning Roberts Ranch, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:53 p.m.

It was just a few months ago that Jerry was saying that he would have nothing to do if he were to retire. He said he loves coaching too much to give it up. He even went as far as to say that he would have to become a Wal-Mart greeter if he were to suddenly be fired. I doubt very highly that Sloan called it quits like this, there has to be something else.

• JK Regina, Saskatchewan
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:55 p.m.

sickening !!!!....the sooner they trade williams the better....he didn't want to play here before and now forsure he will want to leave...i do not want to point the finger at dwill but if the report i heard is true and he actually went against coach Sloan's instructions and ran a different play that is beyond obscene...

kevin DO NOT leave this until mid season next year...if not before the deadline...make it happen in the off season...

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Yet agian, the Bulls have something to do with a Jazz loss. This time it's coaches.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Dea Holladay,

When you call a spade a spade it does not make you a fair weather fan.

Deron has been complaining for weeks, actually he spent last season saying the team needed to improve. The jazz imported Bell who used to shoot 3's and Jefferson who Dwill was going to make into an allstar. Too bad Dwill he found out he cannot even communicate well enough to teach Jefferson a simple pick and roll and the thoughts of making him an all star...well anyway

So Deron airs his grief in the papers, chooses his own plays on the court and now you think the coach is repsonsible. I am sure it has been building for quite some time.

Sloan knows how to win and has proven it Deron knows how to whine and now he is about to learn what goes around comes around.

Good luck Jazz

• Red Barchetta Midvale, utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Boy, all you Jazz haters taking these internet reports as gospel truth is rediculas. Jerry resigned because he is tired, plain and simple. It had nothing to do with anything else. So get over yourselves! Corbin is now Coach, so give him a chance. GO JAZZ!!

Thanks Jerry for 23 years! You will be missed!

• itsajelly Walla Walla, WA
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Welcome modern NBA to the Utah valley. Players run the show.

• Laurels Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:09 p.m.

Thank you to Jerry Sloan and Phil Johnson for your work ethic, dedication to the game of basketball, excellent coaching over many years, and for providing us many wonderful memories. I know many people wish you all the best in whatever efforts you turn your time and attention to. We will miss both of you.

All the best to Tyrone Corbin and his coaching staff. You were a class act as a player and we look for more of the same. You have a great tradition to build on.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:17 p.m.

IF the comments from others sources like ESPN, CBSsportsline, etc are true....

Then I think D-Will is nothing but a self centered egotisitcal manaic. I will not support one thing he does with his "Charities" or should I say "Look at me" party.

I will not support Miller family for this outrage by buying Jazz tickets, purchasing products or whatever.

If Larry was alive he would boot D-will and spank Greg.

• Ak Fan Hamburg, GE
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:18 p.m.

Thank you Jerry for all these good years. Great coach could win multiple ring if not stubbornness. Jazz better off Deron. I said before when he came to Jazz too much attitude issue.

It's about time AK please go somewhere else. GO AK

• agentbb007 Lehi, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Red the internet may not be gospel truth but neither are official press conferences. Jerry resigned because he was tired? So why did Phil resign? Was he tried too? Give me a break. ESPN had sources tell them in the first half D-Will ignored two plays Jerry yelled out. So at halftime Jerry got ticked at Deron there was a big blowup. That's when Jerry decided he was going to quit. He spoke with K'OK after the game and there was some type of a scuffle. Millers are mad because they feel like Jerry and Phil and jumping ship. It's a huge mess, mark my words this team will be sold to Seattle within 3 years.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Williams, take your attitude and get out of town. You're a great player, but that's not all that matters. You can't teach humanity.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Red,
    Jerry Sloan has never been one to air dirty laundry. So don't take the "Tired/Energy level" at face value.

D-Will is the cause and should be deported back to Dallas. I can live with not having championships, I can't live with a team that sponser Me-isms....

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:24 p.m.

I hope Sloan read this thread, today. A handful of detractors have been calling for his head for years. Now the real fans speak out. The toughest player and the classiest coach in the history of the league: Jerry Sloan. I hope he goes to coach another team so he can show them how to win, just like he did here for 23 years.

D-Will: I guess we will see about the self-proclaimed best point guard in the NBA.

The biggest victim: probably AK. He won't even get to touch the ball in practice now. D-Will will probably freeze him out of the toilet stalls.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:30 p.m.

@ ElDorado

i think you are right...it may turn out to be like what happened to the Sonics in Seattle...they will transfer the franchise to a more marketable setting...i wish the NBA would lockdown for 5 years...

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:32 p.m.

wow, i was wrong, i thought they were going to trade kirilenko and sloan was flustered but i guess kirilenko just wanted to see what every one was crying about because he was coming out of the coaches room last night, haha, i never thought they would ask him to leave but no one will miss his pep talks because he doesn't motivate with speeches, the farm verbiage however, my life will never be the same without it

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:34 p.m.

Jerry decided to step down, his decision. Now everybody needs a scapegoat so let's throw D-Will under the bus...Nice. Hey this is what happens every where else in professional sports when things aren't going well, right or wrong, so lets not jump off a cliff people. People who hate change (sloanaholics) are going crazy today. Jerry had 23 years in a professional sports league to get it right and win a championship. No crying, PLEASE!!Nothing lasts forever. Put up his statue, turn the page, let's go Corbin!!

I agree with Todd, time for a new vision/management team. Out with the old and in with the new. It happens everyday somewhere in America!!

• concerned jazz fan Park City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:39 p.m.

I never thought that coach Sloan will leave Utah in this way,I admire both D-Will and coach Sloan so I was very shocked to hear the news..I think D-Will will ask for a trade for the next few days and I'm expecting the Jazz to trade him for sure..I don't think that the Jazz will move on if D-Will stays with the team

• SoCal Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 6:05 p.m.

All I can say is that after pushing a Great coach like Sloan out of the picture,.. D'Will had better step up big time. And I don't mean Individually, I mean as a Team Leader. That Jazz better go on a big time winning streak, or I say trade D'will for a Chris Paul or someone else who is more of a team guy.
    Note to D'WIll, you brought this on, you make it work.

• Digbads South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 6:11 p.m.

Having been in their offices and seen the horrible workplace conditions they impose on their "peons" I would rather eat sand than work for the Miller boys.

• Jazzfan1232 Fort Eustis, VA
    Feb. 10, 2011 6:21 p.m.

I heard something today that said there are a lot of good athletics in the NBA but not a lot of good basketball players. Coach Sloan has been a part of the Jazz since I was 4 years old. I am truly so sad over this and I am very upset if the rumors are true about DWILL. I know that Coach Sloan was getting over but this is not how you treat a Hall of fame Coach.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 6:50 p.m.

I want to hear what Deron has to say about all this mess. If Deron is the reason our coach hung it up in the middle of the season, then the Jazz better trade Deron asap, no one player is greater then the team, I dont care who you are or who you think you are. We all know Deron has been calling for change. I have been calling for a change, not a coaching change, but if Sloan really is stepping down because he says its his time, then lets turn the page and move forward. If Deron was the cause, I will be worried about this teams direction. Time to buckle up jazz fans! GO JAZZ!!

• statman9 South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 7:18 p.m.

I know that it is a disappointing day for Jazz fans including myself, but I feel confident that the Jazz can still move forward, and we have had no confirmations that DWill was the cause of this or was forced out. For now, let's remember what Jerry did while he was with the Jazz.

I am disappointed in Jazz fans for the attacks on DWill and Greg Miller, we don't know if this happened cause of them.

I am excited to see Tyron Corbin coach, I'm sure he has learned a lot from Jerry and I will expect to see a similar style of coaching from him.

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 10, 2011 7:34 p.m.

"Dallas radio KRLD and the Dallas Morning News report that Deron Williams demands a trade to the Dallas Mavs preferably, with San Antonio or Houston as alternatives.
    His complaints were the lack of talent backing him up, (on the Jazz), and having to carry the burden of Jazz fans blaming him for the loss of Jerry Sloan. His agent contacted the Mavs early Thursday morning. Williams said he expects to be booed by Jazz fans everytime he touches the ball, that he has never been happy in SLC, and that he made a huge mistake to sign an extension."

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 10, 2011 7:56 p.m.

Greg and DWill are taking a lot of heat but this day was going to come sooner or later and it had to come. It might as well be now.

Sloan quit on his own. DWill does not have the power to kick him out. DWill is replaceable. KOC was NEVER a real GM because Sloan had veto power.

Greg just resigned Sloan for 5 mill. Sloan just mugged the Millers for 5 Mill.

Gail said it best. The Jazz franchise will go forward. It did not end with Layden and will not end with Sloan.

I expect the following.

1. Corbin will modify the flex and run special plays for AJ so the system does not stop dead all of the time. Corbin will modify the system to get the max from the players he has.

2. KOC will be a real GM and he is better than many think. The Jazz will get better.

3. The 1st round drafting will improve.

4. The D may improve.

5. The Jazz may start winning.

6. Some players may blossom.

Silas replaced Brown and CHA is better.

Gentry improved the Suns.

Corbin and Greg will improve the Jazz.

• Logan Palmer, AK
    Feb. 10, 2011 8:05 p.m.

I've kept watching the Jazz because of Stockton and Malone, and Larry Miller, and Jerry Sloan. Each era has transitioned.
    I hope for my sake that they can remain something worthy of my loyalty. Jerry is a giant. When they put his statue out front next to the boys on the street his mouth better be wide open screaming. Just don't include an audio track, there will be children walking by...

• Utah.sports.fan Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 8:07 p.m.

Obviously no one knows the whole story behind who may or may not have been the reason for Jerry Sloan to resign at this point in time except for the individuals involved, so any blame placed is pure speculation. However, I will say this - I have lost a lot of respect for Deron Williams (regardless of what part he may actually play in this scenario) for the mere fact that he intentionally ignored a play set up by the coach (and that is a fact). Coach Sloan had every right to be upset with Deron. If a coach can't expect a player, no matter who he is, to do what is asked of him, then I feel it's analogous to the patients running the asylum.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Feb. 10, 2011 8:32 p.m.

Thanks Jerry for all the dedicated years. I don't blame you for not being able to win a championship, I blame the egos of the players who fought you while trying to do it. I do however believe this is a different era. Jerry said it best, it was his time. He has lost the passion and having to deal with rich spoiled brats doesn't make it any easier. Good luck in whatever you do in life.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 8:42 p.m.

We will miss you Jerry. Your no-nonsense approach to everything about the game was wonderful. Players on the Jazz knew to keep their jersey tucked in, they played team ball or they didn't play, they played defense and they worked hard.

Utah will forever be indebted to the man with a John Deere tractor.

Thank you for everything you have taught us over the years Coach Sloan. You are the best!!!

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 8:52 p.m.

Thank you to all who posted on this thread. I think people like ToddfromSantaAna need a good dose of what a true Jazz fan (and not an xbox playing fair weather fan) is all about. I'm outraged and saddened today. My worst day as a Jazz fan and a much deeper pain than watching my favorite team go down to a great Jordan led Bulls squad. This is the day the music died. For many, many years-the Jazz have tried (sometimes in vain) to do things the right way and today they failed in every way. Since the Frank Layden days the Jazz have done things the Jerry Sloan way. Now we will watch them play for a coach (Bless him) who knows that the star calls the shots. Very different. I for one am anxious to see how Coach Williams plans to set up his defense. Tyrone, good luck--but be advised---this is not your team to run. Tread carefully, young coach. Finally--Deron? Shame.

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    Feb. 10, 2011 8:56 p.m.

Just lost my last reason for watching the Jazz.

• Big Green Tractor Fillmore, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:10 p.m.

Dave S

Thank you. Thank you for saying what the TRUE fans are thinking! He hasn't won us a championship in the 23 years he had been coaching. He only took us to the finals twice.....in 23 YEARS! He also had a losing playoff record. I appreciate everything he has done for this organization, but it's time to move on! This is not DWill's fault AT ALL! We need a spark to get going. The old lame systen Sloan was running isn't going to win us a championship. We need a new lifeblood to this team and it starts with the coach! Get some all stars to play with Dwill, and get rid or Okur and AK!

• goitalone w bountiful, ut
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:13 p.m.

@ Resolute Voice:
    You hit this dead on the money. Miller and O'Conner can spin this any way they like, but they cowered before a baby and watched a giant walk away.
    In his arrogance, shown in his comments and actions, Williams has shown that he does not now, and I doubt ever will, understand the value of "old school". The benefits he rolls in were bought and paid for by the likes of Jerry Sloan.
    The Jazz ought to be ashamed, but then now the Jazz can be like most of the rest of the league, run by the ignorance of inexperience. One less Jazz fan here today.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:18 p.m.

This is why I no longer get excited about the NBA - a league of primadonnas who can't win championships on their own talent so they demand a trade or sign as a free agent with an all-star team like Miami or the Lakers. Here's a thought D-Will; why don't you make the players around you better so you can win?

Too bad Jerry had to have his best team at the height of the Michael Jordan era since he was the only player in the history of basketball who could keep the 97-98 team from winning a couple of rings.

• statman9 South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:29 p.m.

If I know Jerry Sloan correctly, I don't think that Jerry Sloan would step down due to a player. Deron Williams, I don't believe is the cause of this, I believe that Jerry stepped down because he is getting old, and tired, and I believe it was just his time to move on.

• Jzzfan South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:51 p.m.

It is obvious that this Utah is 100% behind Jerry, he was not only an amazing coach but seems to be a very stand up and classy guy. Good Luck in the future Jerry you will be missed.
    I also agree that Deron probably has a superstar attitude but truth is he is the star that the Jazz need and Greg Miller needs to pull his head out and buy Deron some help. I like Deron he has done great things for the Jazz. It is obvious the entire franchise is frustrated and Greg has just let it begin to unravel. Greg has proved he is not half the man his father was!

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:52 p.m.

Jerry was bigger in Utah than any player. Jerry always did things his way. Stop the blame game. Jerry left on his terms. Dwill did not run Jerry out of town. Greg did not run him out of town. It was time for Jerry to hang it up. The team was not functioning well under his direction. He couldn't coach guys like Fes and CJ.

Jerry lasted way too long in one place. It was time to move on. Don't worry about Jerry. He will be fine in on tractor.

• Kramer Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:54 p.m.

I hope the best for Coach Sloan and Coach Johnson. Two guys who were loyal to a fault. Both could have left many times for better jobs but chose to stay for a Team and a city they loved. In this age of me me me these were two guys who always looking out for the best interest of the team.
    Some of our selfish players need to learn this concept. D-will is too cought up in being the so called best point guard in the league. Last night d-Rose proved him dead wrong. AK needs to quit whinning and start playing like he gives a hoot. In my mind the Jazz should keep Jefferson and Milsap and clean house with the rest of our Guys. Grow up Jazzmen.
    What really happened with Coaches Sloan and Johnson may never come out. Both are too classes to bad mouth anyone. And of course what is said in the locker room stays in the locker room.
    As for Tyrone Corbin, I'm sure that he will make a fine coach. He has had two of the best guys to learn from. Good Luck Ty. We are all rooting for you.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2011 9:57 p.m.

Can't someone just tell us what the heck happened?! Sheesh.

• Dick of the NW Bainbridge Island, Washington
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:04 p.m.

After reading most of the posts, I would say that most did not watch or hear the press conference. There is no doubt the grind of the work finally took it's toll on Jerry and Phil. They grew tired of it. Just a BIG THANK YOU to Jerry and Phil and the entire Jazz organization for the Jazz. Jerry and Phil have been the best. There have been 245 coaching changes in the NBA while Jerry has been coaching. Thank you Miller's. Some want to find their own demons while the truth is in front of them. The Jazz, during the Sloan era, has been one of the most consistent franchises in NBA history. GO JAZZ!

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:22 p.m.

Thanks Coach Sloan, you did a good job, thanks for the dedication and hard work.

But it's about time, should have happened at least ten years ago.

Jazz management can be loyal to a fault.

All the same, thanks for everything coach.

• Fuzzbrain Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Wow!! Some of the craziest things I've ever read are in the comments for this column. In fact, I didn't finish reading them because there is so much misguided hostility. For my part, thank you Jerry Sloan & Phil Johnson for many great years of basketball. Congratulations Ty Corbin for becoming the new head coach of a wonderful team & organization. Shame on everybody for blaming all of this on Deron Williams. He certainly will not want to play for the Jazz if the fans turn on him. Let's try to look forward to this new day; this new opportunity to win.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:40 p.m.

Thanks for the memories.

• carpediem Holladay, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:05 p.m.

I think this was a "needle that broke the camels back" situation where Sloan decided it was time. I don't think D-Will gave the front office a "me or him" ultimatum. I also know the Millers wouldn't fire Sloan for any reason.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:11 p.m.

I check the papers every day in hopes that the headline is Utah Basketball Coach Resigns or Utah Basketball Coach Is Fired......but not Jerry Sloan. This should be Jim Boylen the worst coach in the history of the state of Utah. Why oh why did my wish not come true, I guess you have to be more specific than "I hope and pray Utah fires it's basketball coach." I should have said JIM BOYLEN. Ugh! Thanks Jerry Sloan for all the memories, you were a class act! Now come on Chris Hill let's keep the changes coming, FIRE BOYLEN!

• carpediem Holladay, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:56 p.m.

The Sports Illustrated article is a nice tribute.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Feb. 11, 2011 12:44 a.m.

To Jerry Sloan: Thank you for everything you have done, and for being the person that you are. The sports world needs many more of you.

To Phil Johnson: Once again, your actions and words were inspiring.

To Tyrone Corbin: You've paid your dues. I'm glad you get this opportunity. Good luck.

To Deron Williams: The NBA is littered with exceptionally talented athletes with even larger egoes. This is your day - you have eclipsed those players today and are now the latest "that guy." I hope you enjoy the attention.

To Greg Miller: Taking the orgainization in a new directio, huh? Disappointing...

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 1:25 a.m.

Go Milkman Go.

• Big Rod South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:26 a.m.

Looks like the fair weather fans and ultra conservative fan base is out in numbers posting here (Sloan lovers). Not me, I'm glad the dictator is finally gone. Hooray for the news thats been over due for 5 years. Lets face it, the Jazz need a change to be successful. The system that Jerry runs is outdated and too predictable, thus no rings with average playoff results. I'm glad Greg Miller isn't like Larry. The Jazz and the organization are finally creating their own path to evolve into today's NBA. The Jazz are no longer Grandpa's game anymore. The transformation won't be instantly, but mark my word the Jazz will become a legitamate league powerhouse that players will want to come and play for. Hopefully, D-Will will be here leading the team when the Jazz win their first ring.

• hotsauce78 Layton, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:59 a.m.

I'm growing tired of some here that are assuming this or that happened. Why can't people just take what was said and quit looking for a scapegoat? None of you were there. You don't know, you really don't know, but you show your complete ignorance and make stupid, unwarranted comments. Take Jerry at his word. That's good enough for me. In no way am I backing DWill, but I feel people are being very unfair. It's like Jerry pointed out, that he's had flair ups a number of times with his players.

I wish Coach Sloan the best. He is to be congratulated and admired. He was always true to himself and the people he worked with. I for one will miss him.

I also am excited for Coach Corbin. He deserves the opportunity and will do a fine job.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Feb. 11, 2011 7:05 a.m.

I can't believe the haters. Do you really not see that Coach Sloan is OLD? His methods are OLD, his style is OLD. It was past time for him to retire.

Don't get me wrong. He leaves a great legacy. Perhaps no coach has accomplished more with less - during the regular season. But one thing will forever stand out - no rings. He was not a good second season coach.

But he WAS a class act, a consummate professional, an example of a great work ethic, and a man you could admire. Try finding another like him in the ranks of NBA head coaches....NOT.

• Something to think about Ogden, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 7:12 a.m.

There has been alot of speculation about the reasons for this happening. I've coached at an upper level for 17 years. I've learned over the years in situations like this, there is partial truth in all the rumors. Sports is a unique culture. It is a culture that is very complex. It is rare that one thing here or one thing there leds to coaching changes. It's usually a collection of things, with one final blow. Perhaps DW delivered the final blow during the Bulls game? It's tough to say what the real truth in this matter will ever be!

I wish Coach Sloan the best. I'm not a basketball fan, nor then a Jazz fan, however I due appreciate Coach Sloan's efforts. There's a reason he lasted this long...HE'S GOOD! Congrat's to him on an outstanding career. (Coach Johnson too!).

Final thought... part of the sports culture... "There are two kinds of coaches. Those that have been fired, and those that are going to be fired." Reality of the culture.

• ? Fort Knox, KY
    Feb. 11, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Thanks Coach Sloan for all you've done.

• DH48 West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 7:52 a.m.

I really can't believe the comments on here. I'm glad the Jazz have such know-it-all fans. Are you really naive enough to believe everything the press tells you? Have you never noticed their tendency to want to create controversy so they can sell themselves?

Let it go people and move on...that is what Jerry is doing.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 8:07 a.m.

Nothing but pure CLASS with this no nonsense coach. Thank you Jerry you are truly the "MAN" thank you for the memories.

Aloha Pumehana

• WinSum Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 11, 2011 8:23 a.m.

Jerry Sloan did a great job for the Jazz for a long, long time....thanks and best wishes. A class act.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 8:30 a.m.

I think John Stockton said it best."Jerry and I had confrontations all the time. It comes with the territory of being a point guard. You are an extension of your coach out there on the floor disagreements happen. Nobody could have pushed coach Sloan out if he was not ready to leave. We talk regularly and Jerry was growing tired. Maybe he doesn't want to argue with any more point guards, he's earned that right and I'm happy for him and Phil."

I think it was Jerry's time. I was at the Bulls game a few rows up from the Jazz bench. I took note before the game how Jerry Sloan kept gazing up into the stands at the fans. Occasionally waving at fans he reconized or made eye contact with. He seemed to have a tear in his eye before the game even started. He seemed to be taking the fans in and reminising about cherished memories. After seeing this I new something was weighing heavy on Sloans heart but I didn't know what til the next day when the news broke.

Lets all pull together and support Ty and the team.

• deno22 Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 11, 2011 8:39 a.m.

First it was boozer, now it is DWill. I swear you fans have to hate somebody or you don't know what to do with yourselves. I think it is sad Jerry stepped down but I don't think anyone forced him out. He has thought about quitting for a while now, he says it all the time. He just is old and doesn't have the energy to argue with players and get them to do things. He doesn't have the energy to prepare and work this team as hard as it needs to be worked.

Let us honor Jerry's legacy with some common sense and humility. It was no one's fault, he just felt it was time to go. Let's support the team we have.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 8:56 a.m.

Thank you Sloan for all you have done. you will be missed.

• Lifelong Democrat Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Deron, I understand South Beach weather is really nice this time of year. Interested?

• Mark Benson St George, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 9:55 a.m.

re: SJ Bobkins

So do you have proof of you KRLD report cause I'm on their website now and see nothing? This would be a big enough story that surely they would have some kind of a story if there were any truth to it. I wouldn't have a hard time believing but I would like some solid evidence.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Only Jerry Sloan could coach a small-market team to win over 1000 games, without the resources of a big city like Chicago or L.A. Especially when he never had a poor enough record to get a superstar draft pick. He had to develop his own superstrars, like John Stockton, the best point guard ever (who still holds the career record for total assists AND total steals).
    And by the way, only the Utah Jazz would keep a coach for 23 years.
    Thanks to Larry Miller and Jerry Slaon for making the Jazz great.

• Me, Myself and I Blanding, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Wow!! No wonder Jazz fans are made fun of throughout the league. You love almost worship D-Will when the Jazz were winning. Call for Andre's head when he was in his multi-season slump, now thats forgotten. Not to mention those who called for Sloan to be let go who are now changing their tune. Nobody hated to see what transpired with Coach Sloan more than I do, but to all the finger pointers and know it alls you really need to remember the words of former NFL football coach Buddy Ryan, "There are two things every person in America thinks they can do. Star in a movie, and coach a football team. People are stupid!" I think the same can be said about any sport. There will always be people who know more than the professionals who have experience and training that most people don't. In closing remember how much you hate D-Will when the Jazz start winning consistently again.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 11:12 a.m.

Stud an Studly meeting of the minds in 98 very cool.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Got to appreciate Jerry's feelings. The spirit is willing but the body is not. The time comes when you realize that you are spinning your wheels and it's time to find a better road. It will be hard to fill the void that is there, but that will pass and Jerry will be able to sit down and become the armchair coach like the rest of us. Thank you, Coach Sloan, for the many years of sacrifice and dedication to the Jazz organization. You has been a wonderful example for the youth who have grown up with the Jazz.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 11:13 a.m.

I'm guessing the folks in SLC were hoping for a coaching change further up the hill rather than this one.

• SoCal Roger Costa Mesa, CA
    Feb. 11, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Is this the best that the Jazz and the people of Salt Lake can do?

Doesn't Jerry Sloan deserve better than this? Did it really have to come down to his hasty departure?

How do you replace a legend?

• athought Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Where's Paul Harvey with the "rest of the story" when you need him? I agree with the posters that Sloan will be greatly missed. I agree that DWill has more to do with this than we know. I have seen firsthand the divalike, demanding, and downright rude behavior of our star player. I have absolutely no respect for DWill as a person. Something took place in the lockerroom during half-time after DWill didn't execute the plays called out by Sloan. Someone needs to tell DWill this isn't street ball with players doing their own thing. I can totally see Jerry coming out of the locker room steaming and saying he was fed up with it all and being tired of dealing with the prima donna's and being their babysitters. It was sad to see the JAZZ lose to the other JAZZ Wednesday. The ones who left our team showed everyone what they were capable of, and that may have been the straw -- we lost some good players and they won the game Wednesday. DWill blew the chance to go ahead with 30 some seconds left. Why? Good luck Ty -- you'll need it!

• hardware Erda, Ut
    Feb. 11, 2011 12:02 p.m.

Thank you Coach Sloan...thank you...enough said.

• squeeze Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2011 12:09 p.m.

I know that Sloan and Johnson resigning at the same time seems perplexing, especially with Tyrone Corbin figuratively being thrown out there naked so to speak. I am sure he will do well nevertheless.

Try this on for size:
    Bring in Jeff Hornacek for Assistant Coach after the All Star break. And tender a serious offer for Jerry to take over a GM, perhaps after the lockout.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Feb. 11, 2011 12:26 p.m.

It is what it is. Management sided with the franchise player over the coach. I like Corbin from DePaul. This was handled badly. The time for change was before the season. Corbin should have taken over then. No problem. It was time for a change. However, this "ended badly". The way it was handled "stunk to high heaven", O'Connor punked out and Rigby and Miller "punked out" with him. Now, you have a prima donna running the team. When he sat on the bench injured, did you count the bling? Sloan must have said something because the next game it was gone and now Sloan is gone. Boo hoo!

• 7th period class Richfield, Utah
    Feb. 11, 2011 12:51 p.m.

Jerry Sloan is awesome! He ran good plays for the Jazz. He's a very attractive man! We wish he wasn't leaving the Utah Jazz. We'd rather DWill leave than Jerry Sloan!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 4:17 p.m.

The one thing the last 24 hours has reinforced for me is how good we once had it. The combination of Larry, Sloan, Stockton and Malone was a match made in heaven and something I think we all took for granted. Sloan was the last remnant of that golden age of Jazz history and now it is gone forever. There will never be another Jazz team like that one and I am just grateful that I was around to witness it and will just have to be content with the memories. Thank you for everything Coach Sloan! I hope you enjoy a happy and well earned retirement!

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    Feb. 11, 2011 4:31 p.m.

One of the things I have most respected about the Jazz organization is that they did things the right way. They did not go after players who were trouble-makers. And if a player became a trouble-maker, he was quickly sent packing. It was also made very clear that the coach was the coach and the players were the players. The coach did not try to play and the players did not try to coach. All that has, apparently, changed. It appears the Jazz have become another asylum run by the inmates. I, for one, will not support the insanity. Good luck to Ty Corbin. He is going to need it.....

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Feb. 11, 2011 6:27 p.m.

Man, oh man, OH MAN!, are we gonna miss Jerry!....

Good luck, Coach Sloan. Here's to forever holding your head high, good health and happy days ahead.

You've earned it.

• jedivan Ogden, UT
    Feb. 13, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Most of these comments miss the point. With the exception of Karl Malone's rant, everyone to a man has claimed that Derron Williams didn't force Jerry Sloan out. Jerry just felt fatigued and that he had lost the energy. How many times in the past did Jerry say that he would coach until it wasn't fun anymore? Derron Williams himself told the media, "I would have have left Utah first before I forced Jerry out." Kevin O'Connor verified that Derron never approached him or Greg Miller about having Jerry leave. Jerry's decision took them all by surprise. He made the decision after last Wed.'s loss to Chicago and the administration asked him to sleep on it. When the answer was the same on Thurs., they begged him to stay. Jerry refused. Stop blaming Derron Williams! Had this occurred last year, rumors would be circulating that Boozer had forced him out. Had it occurred in the 1990's, rumors would be circulating that The Mailman forced him out. Take Sloan, D-Will, O'Connor, Randy Rigby, and Greg Miller at their words. Sloan wasn't forced out!