Utah Jazz: National reactions to Jerry Sloan's retirement

Comments

• Andrew J. Marksen Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 3:09 p.m.

This is no way for a hall of fame coach to end his tenure. Run out of town by an owner who does not value loyalty and hard work. A black mark on the franchise. A black mark on Larry Miller's legacy.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:03 p.m.

He was not run out of town,he got tired of dealing with millionaire ballplayers who wouldn`t listen to the coaching staff,don`t blame him one bit for quiting

• rs12to32 Nampa, Idaho
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:15 p.m.

And run out of town in favor of a star who will leave Utah as fast as his contract allows him to.

I was worried when Greg took over the team, and now I see why. Get ready to be the new Clippers/Timberwolves.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:27 p.m.

I am very deeply distraught over the fact Williams and his Merry Band of Charmin ran the greatest coach in the NBA out of Utah. I wish Williams would have left instead.

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:29 p.m.

I'm sorry to see Jerry go, especially in the middle of the year like this. I guess when you no longer enjoy doing the job you have done for years, it's time to make a change, especially while you are young enough to still enjoy life. He's done a great job. The owner and others involved with the organization tried to talk him and Phil Johnson out of resigning, from what I've heard. They did not ask him to leave.

Best of luck to you Jerry. Go enjoy your family, and SMILE a little more! :-)

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:37 p.m.

Thank you coach Sloan and Coach Johnson for many years of fun basketball!

Greg Miller and coach Corbin have a chance to turn the page and put a new legacy together.

I can not lie, I had tears in my eyes when Sloan said he was done today. I am sure Jerry Sloan will have a jersey hung in the rafters at ESA.

I hope fans can ge behind this team and support the changes that the team have gone through today.

LETS GO JAZZ!!

• Slushfund Roosevelt, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Williams vs Sloan....what a joke....Williams is out of here as soon as his contract is up...

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Feb. 10, 2011 4:59 p.m.

Now that Jerry's gone, it's even more painful that he never won a coach of the year award in the NBA. What a stinkin sham!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:09 p.m.

Coach Sloan fit like a glove to the Jazz and the people of Utah because Utahns, that is TRUE Utahns, care more about hard work and ethics than they do about championships.

Sure, championships are nice, but the real "trophy" to be admired is work, tenacity, a fighting heart, teamwork.

God-speed, Coach Sloan, God-speed.

We sure are going to miss you...

• jazz_man Fajardo, PR
    Feb. 10, 2011 5:20 p.m.

A dark day in sports indeed...

• concerned jazz fan Park City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 6:28 p.m.

I expect trade rumors to come up in the next few days involving D-Will. I think because of what happen, it will greatly affect the whole team and D-Will in terms of performing their duties to play hard and play to win in the coming games..I think in order for the team to move on and also in order for D-Will to move on, he must be traded, I admire D-Will a lot but for his sake and for the whole Jazz team, he must be traded.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Feb. 10, 2011 6:58 p.m.

Anybody remember the summer Williams was drafted? He was supposed to go to Spokane and spend a week on strategy with Stockton. In his own words, he had to cancel to get down to Salt Lake "to pick up his new Mercedes." It has been about him, the whole time.

• louisiana jazz man Dubach, LA
    Feb. 10, 2011 8:34 p.m.

looks like dwill on his way to the next boozer. then no sloan or dwill. i think a lot of fans were already tired of dwill and his winning to the media then the preception wether tru or not that sloan retired because of him' will probly get him run out of town next. not a good day for jazz fans

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Feb. 10, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Trade Deron...for the first round pick on next year's draft...and grab Kyrie Irving....

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    Feb. 10, 2011 11:06 p.m.

Not really sure if we've gotten the whole situation cleared up yet.

The real mystery is what was Kirelenko doing in the same room and O'Connor and Sloan in the main office?
    Does this go beyond Dwill and his coach?
    Or is something else brewing?

• Ak Fan Hamburg, GE
    Feb. 11, 2011 12:49 a.m.

Ak leaving town finally.

• T_ville Fan West Valley City, ut
    Feb. 11, 2011 9:30 a.m.

I love how people assume it was D-Will! Honestly were you people there??? No! Until the come out and actualy say what happend no one should be accusing anyone, all that is going to do is cause more problems. We are all sad to see him leave, but it is a new day and we need to support our Jazz team! GO JAZZ!

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2011 10:22 a.m.

BleedCougarBlue | 5:09 p.m. Feb. 10, 2011
    Enid, OK

God-speed, Coach Sloan, God-speed.

We sure are going to miss you...

============

Well said my brother in BLUE