BYU, Utah and USU football: Live updates on letter of intent day

Comments

• Chris B. Midvale, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 8:16 a.m.

Going to be another dominating day by Utah.

Let's compare the choices when someone is considering byu or Utah

Utah
    Coach who knows winning is #1
    Team that has proven it can go to a bcs game
    Team that has proven it can go to bcs gameS
    Team that has proven it can win bcs games
    Teammates who are athletes
    Team playing in big boy conference

vs.

Coach who thinks winnings is 6th most important
    Team who has proven it will never be in bcs game
    Team who will never have chance to win bcs game
    Teammates who are sunday school boys
    Will never play in real conference

Please tds fans - let's not bring up facts from 20 years ago to state your current national relevance. You will never again be among the nation's best, ever.

Choose U!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 9:09 a.m.

The yews win one game by one point on a gift from the reef's and suddenly they are the best team in the state.....lets not consider that Max Hall beat you the last two years! And outside of Scott you have never produced a big time QB....?

The yews glory days have surely passed them and the recruiting means nothing.....4 stars for Langi? Give me a break~! All those stars come with a disclaimer!

• KH Holladay, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 9:18 a.m.

"Max Hall beat you the last two years!"

No he didn't. BYU beat Utah last year in overtime, but two years ago Utah slaughtered BYU 48-24 to go to the Sugar Bowl and an undefeated season. It seems that you do not speak the TRUTH.

• softshack89 Bountiful, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I'll take Heaps over Wynn any day. Chris B, you make me laugh. :) See ya in September.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 2, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Re: TRUTH
    "The yews win one game by one point on a gift from the reef's and suddenly they are the best team in the state"

Well, we tried to make a play for 3rd-best team in the state but BYU beat us to it.

• pocyUte2 Pocatello, Id
    Feb. 2, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Soft

And I'll take my Utes over the Cougs any day.

looking forward to sept.

congrats to the cougs on their signings today.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Alright Alright...you yews win....

Wynn was 6 stars and look what a bust he turned out to be...

BYU will kill the yews the next three in a row!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 2, 2011 11:46 a.m.

u class fits 6th in pac...sounds about right. Let's just hope you can finish that high!

• HawaiianAggie St.George, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2011 12:01 p.m.

Utes, Cougars, you both need to play nice. I try to be neutral, but I'm just more proud of Utah and their BCS accomplishments. Hopefully BYU can do well with their independent schedule. I also hope Anderson will do something for your dreary football team up in the frozen tundra of Cache Valley.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 2, 2011 12:16 p.m.

Looks like the Utes just stole Quinton Pedroza WR away from AZ st....

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 12:36 p.m.

HawaiianAggie---
    Agreed and may I ad that Weber State is now filling their stadium. Football in Utah is getting a lot of positive P.R.-- Take Snow College in Ephraim is doing great at their level.It's all good being a High School player in the state. to me, this deja voodoo attitude of living vicariously through the years past years and performances gets a bit old-- we aren't waltzing around with " Catus" Jack or Lavell any more and only this year matters. How the players and coaches pan out is for us to see come this fall.
    It does look as though all of the 4 Universities did a very good job stocking the shelves. Should be really interesting from a local viewpoint seeing how Utah and the Y adapt to their new positions whether it be a new conference or no conference affiliation. The jury's out so I wait until fall to see how the situations play out. I am hoping that Weber and Snow go to the playoffs and the other three become bowl eligible-- come fall it should be a white knuckle ride.
    I wish good luck to them all.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Utah is in the top 50. #7 in the PAC. I count 2 4-star recruits so the U lost out on most of them. BYU is about 12 or 13 spots behind.(just ahead of Boise). BYU also has several very good RM's in some key positions Not the dominating difference the no class crew predicted but pretty solid for Utah.
    See you in September.

• Kankles Miami, Florida
    Feb. 2, 2011 4:27 p.m.

USC has signed 31 kids this year! I thought that they were under sanctions, and if they take those two kids that are considering utah and usc they will have 33. Someone please explain how usc has 15 scholorships and they are going to sign 33 kids?

Its been a dissapointing day but at lest we got a couple kids today. Pedroza is a 4 star according to espn and denham is a 4 star too. so two out of five kids Whit was targeting for today signed. I guess thats alright..

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Chris B I think I saw you in the stands at the basketball game with your mommy. I knew it was you because you kept reiterating the same story about athletes and we should be winning, but we are not. Next time I will say hi and bring you a sucker.

• Kankles Miami, Florida
    Feb. 2, 2011 5:16 p.m.

Bottom Line:
    That was literally the dumbest story ever told. I know that it wasnt directed at me but it was so bad I had to comment on it. Wow that was bad,wow wow wow. What did the other girls think of that joke when you originally told it in relief society?

• Kankles Miami, Florida
    Feb. 2, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Bottom Line:

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 2, 2011 6:00 p.m.

• KH Holladay, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 6:36 p.m.

"Again the utes left with crumbs and leftovers. Will not rise to the level of the frogs, broncos, & cougars. Utes and buffalos add nothing to the pac."

Of the four teams that you mentioned, Utah, byu, TCU, and Boise State, minus Colorado, byu is the only team to not go to a BCS game even once, let alone twice. You think byu is on the same level as TCU and Boise State and Utah isn't. You are very delusional and live in a bubble.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 2, 2011 7:29 p.m.

ESPN ranks the Ute class 5th best in the PAC12. Maybe more importantly for the Utes is that they beat out all South Division rivals ( except USC) for the best recruiting class.

With USC signing some crazy number of recruites (33?) and most likely being hit with sanctions the next 3 years...I expect the USC 2012-2012 classes to be no lager than 12 or 13 max.

look for Utah to break into the top 25 next year.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 2, 2011 7:58 p.m.

@kankles
    USC has an appeal on going. They're padding and hedging right now. It's a gamble but... they're pretty sure that they're going to win. A number of players have already left...opening up their scholarships...3 of them are coming to BYU. If they lose...it will be a mass exodus. If they win then they've insured themselves to not have lost a step. There USC...they've really nothing to lose based on what was previosly going to happen anyway.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 8:13 p.m.

Hailstorm, that is the best post from you that I have ever read. I really don't see why people get off by belittling other people, and so I appreciate your analysis all the more so.

And you are absolutely right. McBride has done great at Weber State, I think Gary Anderson will take Utah State to new levels, the Utes are obviously a force to contended with, Snow College is one of the best in the nation at its level, and I will always be loyal to BYU.

I will confess to a little nervousness about the future, unknown as it is, but I am excited to see what happens. Of course I was loyal during the pre-Lavell days, so even if the experiment does not work, I will support the Cougars. But I really do expect good things in the future. I don't have to have a national championship to stay with them, but I would accept it if it ever comes.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 2, 2011 8:14 p.m.

• cjf Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2011 8:39 p.m.

@worf

"We'll see next year BYU being on level with TCU and Boise. Mark my words. Probably higher."

ROFL!!!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Feb. 2, 2011 9:48 p.m.

WEARESC "It's the same daunting fight song you hear 5,000 time a season"

• flintrock Rigby, Id