Dick Harmon: Oversigning recruits can get out of hand

Comments

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 7:29 a.m.

Exactly! and Harmon's point is spot on.

The thing that bothers me the most is how much money a school can make off a kid, how much a coach is glorified and yet when it comes to the student/athletes, they are always the odd man out.

Most coaches, and especially Les Miles and Nick Saban, couldn't coach themselves out of a paper bag. It's one thing to load up on talent and simply run some 120 year old play for a touchdown, its quite another to win a game based on strategy, strengths and weaknesses.

As a side note, The Norm Chow vs Brandon Doman matchup intrigues me.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 8:09 a.m.

DH knows nothing of Utah's recruiting practices.

His job is spin for BYU.

He should not comment on Utah.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 8:45 a.m.

Howard he covers college football. If he wants to write about Utah then he can write about Utah. Oh and wasn't it yesterday that Mike Sorensen wrote about a BYU basketball player?

I bet Dick knows more about Utah's athletics than you do.

Thanks for an interesting article and sad that kids can enroll in school with a scholarship and later be told they don't have one.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 8:53 a.m.

That was an interesting article that brings a lot of light to the situation.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 9:09 a.m.

good article, shows a little of the dirty side of recruiting.
    According to this, Reggie Bush is going to cost 10 kids scholarships and/or the ability to play for USC.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Howard S knows nothing about BYU athletics.

His job is to make outlandish claims on Utah sports.

He should not comment on BYU.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 9:26 a.m.

Uh howard...Dick has known the whittinghams for a very long time. Since the 70's at least. He has known Kyle since he was a kid and both are Provo High grads. He can call him at anytime and Kyle will answer the phone and talk to him as an old friend.

You on the otherhand are a fairly dim troll with no clue about anything but that is typical of most ute "fans".

How do I know this? Well I am also a Prov grad who has known the Whittinghams for 30+ years and attended high school with a couple of them.

You on the otherhand are either 14 years old or else you are 30 years old and still live with mommy. Either way you've never played a sport in your life.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 10:07 a.m.

I was about to write something here to Howard but Duckhunter beat me to it. I'm glad the kids and parents here in state can rely on Whit and Bronco and Andersen (et al) to do the right thing when it comes to recruiting. They are the type of men I want coaching my son if he gets the chance.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 10:47 a.m.

It isnt unusual for BYU and Utah to sign one or two more players than the amount of scholarships each school has set aside. Its a cushion.
    Since Whittingham took over he has NEVER over-signed unlike Bronco last year and then had to pull scholarship offers from the kids who would dare to exercise their free agency and by visiting another school. Whittingham signs good athletes and then builds them a position around their talents.
    Who was that running back from Utah County that Bronco pulled before even stepping on campus? I know that the kids father was way upset. Promise given, promise broken.
    Even if the Utes stand at 18/25 that will leave a lot of options open and not be hard pressed to fill the remainder. Maybe a walk on deserves a scholarship or JC transfer. Coach Kyle builds the player and recruits the best athlete. Sylvester was a basketball player and now is in the NFL. Coaching is the key and Whittingham and staff look to the long term-- Harmon was out of line including Utah in his article as I have never seen over recruiting by the staff at Utah.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Hailstorm, which is it? "It isnt unusual for BYU and Utah to sign one or two more players than the amount of scholarships each school has set aside."

Or, ". . .I have never seen over recruiting by the staff at Utah."

I don't think Harmon is the one who is out of line here.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 12:25 p.m.

Whoa Nellie
    Wrong again.

• Naked Truth Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2011 1:02 p.m.

Hailstorm,

What's wrong with pulling a scholarship offer from a kid that visits another institution AFTER giving a verbal?

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 1:39 p.m.

So you contradict yourself hailstorm and then when you are exposed the best reply you can come up with is "wrong again"?

LOL

• CG Orem, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 1:55 p.m.

As usual, Hailstorm, is so blinded by his BYU hatred that he can't see straight.

Everything is always so "rosy" at the U. Nothing Kyle has ever done could possibly be questioned, whereas every slight twitch from Bronco is heavily scrutinized for even the slightest hint of impropriety.

Take off your crimson-colored glasses stormcloud and realize that your Bronco criticism is based on nothing but your own BYU hatred.

Harmon included both BYU and Utah in the article, because both schools handle oversigning of recruits in exactly the same way - they each offer a few more scholarships than the available scholarships to account for players that may not end up signingon campus right away for a variety of reasons - missionary service, academics, or deciding to attend a different school.

Schools have a limited number of scholarships and many recruits that are interested in those scholarships. If a player makes a verbal commitment to a school, but his actions suggest that he's still shopping for another offer, the school is under no obligation to continue to hold a scholarship for a recruit who obviously isn't fully committed.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 2:46 p.m.

I don't hate BYU , never have, in fact my wife played volleyball down there. It's the bigotry and double speak of SOME of the fans that I find frustrating.I have always said that competition with the Y brings better attention to both schools but it's shenanigans like the Jumbotron taunt that puts a black eye on the institution and brings out the best of my pen. I am a card carrying member so I contribute to the athletic department as well....I suppose. Back down a bit boys, the posters here on both sides tend to generalize and we never will see the world through the other persons eyes.
    Go Utes.. I hope tomorrows class is just that..get the best athlete and then let the coaches do their work

• Naked Truth Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2011 3:19 p.m.

That was a pretty nice 180, Hailstorm. It's the microscope that's constantly on anything BYU and those hypersensitive to anything seemingly hypocritical that gets old real fast.

Take your example of the Jumbotron: some dumb kid at the controls does something completely idiotic and the school still takes a ribbing for it. But yet when similar things happen elsewhere, it's quickly forgotten.

Another example is how Max Hall will forever live in infamy for stating his true feelings for the rivalry yet similar things said by the likes of Stevenson Sylvester or Morgan Scalley are quickly laughed off and forgotten.

• ida-coug Pocatello, ID
    Feb. 1, 2011 3:23 p.m.

"Hailstorm" It's the bigotry and double speak of SOME of the fans that I find frustrating."

You were calling out Bronco not the fans and questioning in his recruiting tactics then you talk about Kyle walking on water. Whether you want to admit it or not you do have an ax to grind. I'm a "member" but I've never received a "card" to carry. Don't "suppose" that any of your "contribution" goes to BYU football. It pays for itself. Maybe you should think about "backing it down yourself" since you seem to be spewing most of the dung........ Pot meet kettle.

• Naked Truth Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2011 3:23 p.m.

Also, Hailstorm, care to comment on your own contradiction, by stating in the same post:

"It isnt unusual for BYU and Utah to sign one or two more players than the amount of scholarships each school has set aside"

and

"I have never seen over recruiting by the staff at Utah."

So which is it?

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 3:27 p.m.

You can't over recruit but you can over sign. I should have said that Coach Whittingham has not over signed or given a scholarship offer above his NCAA quota. He tends to leave a few so he has some in reserve for the walk on who earns it. Koa Misi comes to mind as a walk on kicker yet ended his career as a great DE.

• Naked Truth Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2011 3:52 p.m.

So coach Whit has never gone over his NCAA quota, but Bronco has? And you base this on the one kid that reneged on his verbal by visiting another institution? Don't you see you're grasping here?

• cougarmanIam Glendale, CA
    Feb. 1, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Dick, you are a great writer. However, I think you got some facts wrong on this article. You seem to imply that USC is leading kids on by recruiting as though it has 25 scholarships when it only has 15. This is incorrect from everything I know about USC's sanctions. Because the appeal with the NCAA is pending, USC can sign up to 25 students this year, but if it is unsuccessful on its appeal, then it will have to make up the loss of 10 scholarships per year in future years. Meaning that next year USC will be limited to 15 scholarships. Obviously Ryan Henderson will have his scholarship this year, even though you imply that it could be taken from him if the appeal is unsuccessful. I believe that you are incorrect.

Otherwise I agree with your article that oversigning is a problem, especially in the SEC. I think I read a report which has shown that schools that do oversign generally are more successful than others. I thought the report showed Alabama and Auburn as the worst violators of oversigning, and we know their success. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the report.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 4:18 p.m.

I said back down a bit boys. Let's just wait and save the testosterone until tomorrow.

• Naked Truth Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2011 5:01 p.m.

Classic antagonizer, throw out the baseless, inflammatory comments and then tell everyone else to calm down.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Ida Coug, you are the one spewing DUNG here, and Duckhunter, I am SOOOOO glad that you went to highschool with Whit. I bet that makes you 2 the best of friends, and if you were to call him up and ask him about his recruiting practices, he would tell you everything about them. In Whit's 6 years on the job, going into his 7th year, not ONCE has he over recruited with his limit of scholarships. This year will be no different. Also, to the moron who wrote about USC sanctions and how many players they can recruit, you are WRONG. They absolutely CANNOT recruit more than 15 players this year unless their appeal goes through. If their appeal is denied, they have to get rid of some players. If that is a player who is a senior or one of their new recruits, they can only have 75 on their roster for this year. I guess we will see how this class plays out, as for now though, the UTES have the edge in talent.

• cactusflats American Fork, UT
    Feb. 1, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Welcome to Utah: home of thin-skinned fans who can't stand NOT taking offense at any possible affront, however slight, to their preferred team.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Hailstorm must live is some sort of alternate universe if he really believes that Kyle leaves a bunch of unused scholarships sitting around waiting for a gifted walkon to claim one.

Utah never over commits? Utah never promises more scholarships than they have available? Utah never wastes scholarships?

Tell me, Hailstorm, how is Kyle so clairvoyant that he knows exactly which players will choose Utah tomorrow and which will change their minds and go elsewhere?

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Feb. 3, 2011 8:12 a.m.

Papasmurfute

You are wrong! SC is stockpiling this year due to the reduce in scholarships over the next few years. Stick to utah football.