New Mexico goes long, upsets No. 9 BYU 86-77

Comments

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 29, 2011 1:28 p.m.

Well well well,

It looks like ol' jimmer will be on Versus today. I rarely get to see the tds on TV ( No interest in the Midwest) except the rare occassion when Versus needs a filler.

Guess what. BYU never wins when brodcasted on Versus.

Look it up.

• FreeThinker Magna, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 1:40 p.m.

Well, I do not necessarily have any preference of one university over another. I like to see teams from Utah do well. I was quite excited when the U. almost won the whole thing with Keith Van Horn. I think Michael Doleac was also there, but I don't exactly remember. So what is the point of my rambling? That when a team from Utah gets on a roll like this, just enjoy the ride. I hope BYU does very well this year, because it gives good exposure to the state, and that is what I like to see. Should any other university besides the U or BYU have the same kind of roll, I'll root for them just as much.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 3:43 p.m.

ybu about to lose...

Even we beat New Mexico - LOL

Thanks cewgs for making my weekend!

A still see 4-5 losses, no mwc tournament, a #8 seed, tds crying about their seed, and well, you know where this is going.....

ONE AND DONE

One NCAA win in 20 years - congrats. See ya in 2030

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 3:51 p.m.

And Jimmermania comes crashing down!

Minutes away from a LOBO win.

Top 10 Adios!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 29, 2011 3:54 p.m.

Chris B:

Where did Utah beat them? At the Pit?
    That's what I thought.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 3:57 p.m.

And the clock reads 00:00!

It's over!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:06 p.m.

Does this team have what it takes to make it to the round of 32?

Unlikely

Sunday School boys get exposed again

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:07 p.m.

I'm going to give New Mexico credit. They made the shots in the second half, BYU didn't. Too many guys were afraid to shoot the ball for BYU. There was one possession where Collinsworth and Anderson were playing hot potato under the basket, neither one taking a shot; until they eventually turned it over.

One thing still stands out in my mind, however. BYU was up by 13, New Mexico hits a 3 to cut it to 10...and then the referees suddenly started making (or not making) some of the most awful calls imaginable. Fredette gets sandwich twice in the same possession, then a tied up ball is called when the Lobos never even touched the basketball. Emery is called for a foul...for tipping a ball to a teammate. Lobo players falling down with little or no contact, yet BYU players get called for fouls. Tough to stay in a rhythm when garbage like that it going on.

Again, props to the Lobos for hitting the shots. But the MWC's officiating is an absolute joke.

• Ticky Burden salt lake city, ut
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:10 p.m.

I didn't watch the game . Was it poor officiating and multiple bad calls that cost the Cougars the game ??

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:11 p.m.

The Versus curse... I love it!

Football,Basketball, tiddlywinks it doesn't matter. Put BYU infront of a National audience and the LOSE!!

EXPOSED

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Ticky Burden:

No, it was New Mexico getting wide open 3's and shooting out of their minds in the 2nd half that cost BYU the ball game.

But, yes, the officiating was awful.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:12 p.m.

@ Ticky Burden

Refs were a joke and BYU could not stop the 3

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:14 p.m.

hedgehog

Just like when TCU came to town and utes were EXPOSED 47-7.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:14 p.m.

"But the MWC's officiating is an absolute joke."

The TDS battle cry...LOL!

• Just Me SLC, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:15 p.m.

HAHA

BYU got jimmered!!!!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Except for Fredette, who didn't decide to GET IN THE GAME until the end of the first half, the whole team stunk today. Unless Emery & co. find their shot and bring some defense EVERY game, this team will also not win the MWC tournament and be out after one round of the NCAA's.

• Ticky Burden salt lake city, ut
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Thanks Nevada Coug.. That's kinda what I thought. BYU has never lost or will never lose to anyone in any sport because the other team outperformed, outhustled, or outworked the Courgars. All losses are due, at least in part, due to poor officiating, missed calls, etc., . Thanks again.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Trap game is a term usually used for football but it seems applicable here.

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Just Me, that just doesn't even make sense.

• bigj5661 Ogden, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Chris, BYU killed us. We have no room to talk, just like they can jaw jack all they want about football, but bottom line is we won. So, please, stop embarrassing all of us rational Ute fans. BYU played horrible today, couldn't defend the 3, and Jimmer has a weak supporting cast. Jimmer is the best player in the league in my opinion, but he can't score 43 every night. BYU will bounce back and they will do well this year.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Sure looks New Mexico Jimmied BYWho... Way to go Lobos!!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 4:25 p.m.

"The gravity of this lackluster game is we fell out of the top seeds in ANY NCAA bracket, forget the fact we might not even get in!!!"

I think there will be two MWC reps in the NCAA tournament (three if someone upsets the conference championship). SDSU and BYU should be able to make it even if they don't win the conference (unless they really implode and drop at least 4 more games). However, this sets up a situation where whichever doesn't win the conference has good odds of being an 8 or 9 seed having to deal with a 1 seed in the second round.

• iamsure Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 5:12 p.m.

If anyone thinks that BYU lost this game, they are mistaken. BYU won this game. They were the better team and played a better game. However you cannot stop dishonest officiating. Fredette was fouled 20 to 25 times, hard fouls that were not called. He was knocked down, pushed and hit and no calls. He went to the line 2 maybe 3 times. He was bumped almost every shot. One time he drove the lane, and was pushed two feet, hit in the head and then plummeted, again no call. However on the other end phantom calls prevailed. If this type of officiating is allowed then its not worth playing the game: Corrupt officiating.

• Just Me SLC, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 5:13 p.m.

MWC refs are the WORST!!!!

Wednesday night I saw BYU go almost 10 minutes of very physical defense and get only ONE foul called!!!

MWC refs.......they must have reviewed the game the other night and got it right today...based on the whine I'm hearing on this board.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 5:33 p.m.

Everyone loses games from time to time, especially in basketball because there are like 50 instead of just 13 like in football.

Please, just please don't blame it on the refs. I've done it in the past and you can blame a 9 point loss on the refs. If BYU had played better defense against the 3 pointers, that might have made the difference. But lets get out of the bad habit of blaming games on refs, seriously guys.

• chubbuckidahocougfan Chubbuck, Idaho
    Jan. 29, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Here is some perspective that all Cougs fans need so we aren't dissapointed at the end of the season....BYU will only go as far as Jimmer will take BYU. Based on BYU's lack of depth, lack of athleticism, lack of quickness, and lack of interior defense. My fellow BYU fans need to calm down about ever going to the Final Four or even possibly the Sweet Sixteen. This team just does not have anyone else whom can consistently create his own shot besides Jimmer Fredette.

• Just Me SLC, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Another big laugh!!!!

The four pic's the DNEW has on THIS story!!

Hilarious!!!!

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2011 8:36 p.m.

I was also surprised to see that Chris B was on the net spouting off while his Utes were playing CSU at Huntsman. From the TV view at least, it was very sad to see so many empty seats. Had the Utes had a full supportive house, the results may have been different. No question the Pit crowd played a big role in the Y-NM game.

So Chris, do you not support your team. You talk about the U being your team, but are they really?

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 30, 2011 2:03 p.m.

"I am surprised that the DNews let's the Utah guy's comments with all the abusive, offensive talk, and upper case letters through the monitoring process. Seems all hate and nothing more. Don't fit the printed rules."

Absolutely. Especially considering some of the very non-offensive posts that I've tried to put up that haven't gotten through the censors. I'm sure other people have enjoyed the same "fairness" from the D-News' monitors.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 30, 2011 3:03 p.m.

BYU loses for the 2nd time in 22 games and the Ute Roaches are out.... Let me see, when did Utah get their 2nd loss??? Early November I think... They were less than 5 games into the year, I know that.

Then Chris B ( the scarecrow aka the Wizard of Oz.... the guy who only wanted a brain) has the moxy (if you can acall it that, to say "even we beat UNM".... LOL.... Let me see, what was the score again when BYU caame to SLC and played their local college??? LOL... How many points did Mr. Fredette get in that game? LOL. NUFF SAID.