BYU basketball: Jimmer Fredette unstoppable as Cougars beat Aztecs, 71-58

Comments

• Chris B. Midvale, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 7:50 p.m.

San Diego 70
    tds 60

Looking forward to a great game for all of us who love to hate byu.

• Walter Bellhaven Las Vegas, Nevada
    Jan. 26, 2011 8:57 p.m.

@ Chris B
    I don't think so.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 26, 2011 9:05 p.m.

Jimmer has been the man so far. He made a couple of bone head mistakes, but only one (that I remember) that led to a turnover; and it didn't result in any points.

Keys so far: Other than Davies, nobody else has done much offensively. SDSU has played very good defense so far, limiting the open shots. But even when given the opportunity, most of BYU's shooters haven't been able to put the ball in the hoop.

SDSU is also getting away with a bit more under the basket than BYU. That needs to stop. The foul on Anderson, for example, would not have been called on the other end of the floor.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 9:07 p.m.

31-30 at halftime at the Marriott Center, that does not bode well for the Cougars. SDSU beat New Mexico in the Pit, one of the toughest places to play on the road. the Marriott Center does not intimidate them. I stick by my prediction SDSU will beat us because we don't win the big games.

• Chris_B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 9:19 p.m.

Jimmer is a hero and the Cougars will win the game.

BYU 75
    sdsu 60

I lied. I secretly love BYU.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 26, 2011 9:51 p.m.

About 4 minutes to go, and BYU up by 8. It could be a ton more, if Leonard got called for every foul he commits. The guy just mugged TWO BYU players under the basket to take a rebound away, yet it's a BYU guy that gets called for foul? How does that work when BOTH BYU guys had position on the rebound?

The "more physical" team continues to get away with more under the basket than should be allowed.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Jan. 26, 2011 9:58 p.m.

Cris B. Get that crow ready. You said you would congratulate BYU if they won. There is still time to get it warmed up or you can eat it cold.

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:00 p.m.

Bravo, Jimmer, bravo.

BYU basketball is nothing without you. And this is coming from an Aggie.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:01 p.m.

BYU 67, SDSU 54 with 1:04 to go. Now how did that happen?

• ute alumni Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:03 p.m.

chrissy b:
    nice try. you are soooo wrong soooo often. where is utah? really, how many times have you been right? i honesty can't recall a time. listen to what the announcers have to say about jimmer. i'll bet you were the hero on the varsity cheerleading squad.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:06 p.m.

In the most historic game played in the Marriot Center the BYU Cougars take control and defeat the formerly undefeated SDSU Aztecs, spoiling their 20-0 record. Now #1 in the MWC and sure to rise a notch or two in the rankings.

NO FEAR! Take that Ute trolls!

Jimmer on fire w/ 43 pts. Davies great, team great.

Ute troll predictions... not so great!

• Chris_B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:07 p.m.

I feel sooooooo bad. Another one of my predictions misses the mark. Congrats, Cougars. Crow tastes mmmm-mmmm good.

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:09 p.m.

BYU is rocking the world! OK, rocking the college basketball world!

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:10 p.m.

Go Cougars!!!!!!!!! That was an amazing game! They so got Jimmered!!!!!!

By the way Chris B., we know that you really don't love BYU, we are not fooled.

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:11 p.m.

Chris B

Your obsession is showing again. First one to comment on a BYU article.

And once again you embarrass yourself. Jimmer takes control of the game when he needs to, and look at the results.

70-58 BYU wins.

Now please go away...

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:11 p.m.

Chris B. was surprisingly close in his prediction: except for which team got what score. Personally I would be more worried if Chris B. predicted a BYU win, but that will probably never happen.

Great game Cougars! Too bad I had a class and had to miss it. I'm sure it was good, and I am glad to see yet another 40+ performance by Jimmer Fredette. Rise and Shout!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:14 p.m.

BYU started to pull ahead midway through the 2nd half and win by 12. Can't get any better than this.I don't suppose we will be bothered by Chris B or Hedgehog for awhile. Way to go Cougs. Jimmer, great game. Another +40 points. Vandy, at #5 lost so SDSU and Vandy will both drop below BYU, I suppose. Look for BYU to be ranked between 4 and 7 when the next poll comes out.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:14 p.m.

As good as advertised. I wish I could have seen it. Basic cable isn't very good. I have comcast to see local teams on the MTN? What happened? Nice job BYU. Good win.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Thing is, Chris B was right on one thing: Gay WAS all over Jimmer. And it still didn't matter.

SDSU played VERY tough defense. Jimmer may have taken nearly half of BYU's shots, but he was the only one (other than Davies) who could create against that tough D.

I still contend that SDSU gets away with too much under the hoop. They should be called for more fouls on those rebounds. Not a lot more, but enough that Leonard and White should be in foul trouble more often than they are.

A big thing in this game: Gay had those two early points off free throws, but went 0-7 from the floor. When you take that guy completely out of the game, it's tough for SDSU to compete against a team like BYU.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:16 p.m.

Dear UofU Football and Basketball,

That's how you finish a big game.

Sincerely,

BYU

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:17 p.m.

Chris B will try and be a hero and ruin the image for the school he supports. BYU fans will be all over Chris B and he will selfishly ruin it for his team.

Mark it down.

BYU 71
    SDSU 58

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:17 p.m.

Wow. Just noticed THIS stat:

Blocks in the game:

SDSU 4
    James Anderson 5 (BYU had 9 blocks as a team)

That's how it got done.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:19 p.m.

Ok guys, leave Chris B alone. He ate his crow and gave credit where credit was due. I didn't think Jimmer would have this great of a game but wow, he really is something. I thought San Diego would do a better job but, there is no stopping him. It will be interesting to see how they do in San Diego since he scores better on the road. Congrats Cougars, keep it up, you are looking pretty good right now.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:19 p.m.

Great win with Emery having an off night. Shows they can be even better.

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:20 p.m.

What a great win for BYU! While much of the team didn't shoot as well as usual, Jimmer put on quite the scoring show for the couple dozen NBA scouts in attendance.

BYU's defense as a team, however, was incredible! 9 blocks (5 for Anderson!), 7 steals (3 for Emery!) and holding the number 4 team in the country under 60 points sends a pretty strong message. ESPN had a live game chat going with several of their announcers and they couldn't say enough great things about BYU's D.

By the end of the night, the announcers were all staking their claim for the right to announce the rematch in San Diego. I can't blame them.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:21 p.m.

Way to go Cougars! Great Win!...Jimmer once again took over, the kid should be nation player of the year when its all said and done. Cougars now 20-1 with another very impressive win to their resume. Now onto the pit to face New Mexico, lets go Cougars keep it up!!!

• DavidBoxElder Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:23 p.m.

What a stinkin' shame it wasn't televised in Utah.

• Flame of the West The OC, CA
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:23 p.m.

Way to take it it to the Aztecs Cougs! I can hear their booster club warming up their pens right now in protest for the compromised officiating...

Ute haters...quiz time. Last big time game won in Utah before today was...(think way back)...is still...Miami.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:24 p.m.

Sorry, it was Villanova at #7 who lost, not Vandy. Both Villanova and SDSU will drop behind the Cougs in the rankings this coming week - probably be somewhere between 4 and 6.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Duh: Chris B. did NOT eat his crow. He hasn't posted since before the game began. The others aren't the same Chris B.

panamadesnews: let's worry about rankings after BYU plays at the Pit on Saturday. They still need to take care of business there and not have a let down game.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:28 p.m.

Let's see if crisb has the guts to do what he promised and congratulate the Cougars on a great win. C'mon buddy, stop chewing on the crow and man-up. The score was close to what I predicted but it was a bizarre game. Davies was an animal. His best game I think. Jimmer was a little out of control at times but what a show. I was really happy to see Emery get the dunk but was hoping he would hit a couple of boms. I also would have liked to see Collinsworth and Hartstock hit a few. Maybe this will throw SDSU off a bit when they play in San Diego and BYU spreads it around a little more. Deserving or not, the Cougars could be up to 6th or 7th in the polls next week. NM killed TCU today so I think that will be a tough game for BYU.
    Great Game! Keep it up Cougars.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:29 p.m.

"In my personal opinion, BYU is a Final Four caliber team" -Steve Fischer, SDSU Coach

"Aztecs Get Jimmered" -ESPN Top Story

This is just a few minutes after the game ends. This is just the beginning.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:31 p.m.

Didn't see the game, but BYU's defense must have been pretty good also, to have won by double figures when the team didn't shoot very well in the 1st half. They were about 50% for the game however. By the way, I don't think those postings were by Chris B. He does not sign in Chris_B.

• oh ye confederacy of dunces Flushing, NY
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:33 p.m.

BOOM!
    Slim-Jim Freddy is simply one of the best basketball players to EVER grace the NCAA hardwood. For those who are not fans, you haven't watched the guy play--he is absolutely, jaw-droppingly good. To play the way he did with all the pressure surrounding this game is absolutely amazing.
    Huge win for the cougs, despite mediocre games by the rest of the team (except Davies who played well.) We can look forward to amazing things come March.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:35 p.m.

Jackson really struggled shooting but played amazing defense on Gay. Davies played great! Still some bad fouls but Anderson really played great defense in his minutes backing him up. Collinsworth looked a little scared but played good D on Lenard. Hartsock was overmatched but played hard.

Oh and Jimmer wasn't too bad either. Go Cougars!!!

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:35 p.m.

Chris B. still has not issued any congrats. Chris_B did, but he is a different hater.

Come on Chris B. Tell us all how good crow is.

Jimmer got 43 against one of the top point guards? He got Jimmered too.

Congrats to the Cougars. Awesome play tonight.

Now get ready for UNM in the Pit on Saturday. Could be a tought one there.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:35 p.m.

I think this makes BYU the undisputed best team in the conference. . .perhaps?

Way to go Cougs! Can't wait to see how high they climb.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:36 p.m.

What a fun game! Congratulations Coach Rose and the boys. You are truly a great team to watch!

I look forward to many more terrific games like tonight.

Also, all of you Cougs at the Marriott Center -- you looked great filling the seats to the rafters! Wish I could've been there too.

• three11stu Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:36 p.m.

DavidBoxElder:
    I live in Utah and I watched the game in my living room. Not sure why you didn't see it.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Does it matter if your one and done in the tourney?

• KKCC UTAH, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:39 p.m.

Point Guard with zero assists.... This is not basketball

• Neanderthal SLC, Utah
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:41 p.m.

I hope there's a rerun on BYU TV. Couldn't make the game and Comcast Basic didn't carry it. Goodbye, Comcast Basic.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Great win, but the rest of the team needs to show up, offensively. Come tournament time, Jimmer carrying the team on his shoulders is just not going to cut it.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:42 p.m.

thanks for all of you who write on this board...I love nothing more than reading this stuff! Todays notes of interest...
    1. Chris will never make money handicapping games for Vegas.
    2. Some BYU fans concentrate too much on the officials. One dude commented on the big win...but it could have been bigger if every foul was called...I have never figured this out about Cougie's...its always an officials fault that something did or did not happen?
    3. Lastly...because BYU won this game...this big game...Utah's football team does not know how to finish a big game? How do you spell "blocked kick"?

I am a Ute...always have been...always will be...I think our team is an embarrasement and I think BYU will do well in the west coast conference...very good basketball played there with Gonzaga and St Mary's and others...

But please, please, please, regardless of our conference differences...everyone keep writing...especially Chris...this is what sport is all about...

Over and Out...

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Awesome Game...Fredette was amazing!

Go Cougs!

But BYU really needs to dropthe Utes from the schedule......playing them really hurts the Cougs RPI! Even if Fredette dropped 47 on them.....

Hey Chris B...Jimmerz 47 brings a whole new meaning to the days of 47!

• Slim Shady 801 Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:49 p.m.

at three11stu

Yes, I did too...much better than local TV

at DavidBoxElder.....cable or dish bro? I guess not....lol

• JMT Springville, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:53 p.m.

Great game. Is BYU really this good???

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:58 p.m.

We do not care that the haters missed the Jimmer bus, and now can only wish for losses that have not happened. The rest of us are enjoying something special. Chrissy will have his excuses and bring up the past, but we know how good the Cougars are now and look forward to the rest of the season.

B=Bitter

Go Cougars

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Jan. 26, 2011 10:59 p.m.

Wow it took forever for comments to eclipse Jimmers points.

Go Y

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:02 p.m.

The refs called this like a tournament game. That did not favor BYU. This was not BYU's best offensive game. Almost all of it was played at SDSU's pace.

This is an awesome win.

BYU has a really difficult game at the Pit. Hopefully the rest of the team pick it up.

These big pressure packed games are getting BYU ready for the NCAA.

Just keep finding a way to win.

The BYU bigs played well enough to win. They rebounded. They played D. They came thru. Anderson and Abou really contributed.

Emory did not have an offensive night but he locked down Gay.

BYU is on the basketball map.

Thanks for a great game.

• Come On Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:03 p.m.

Great win but I am so sick of people saying the rest of the team needs to show up. How many shots did any one else get....less than half! Ya they missed some shots but kinda hard to get in a rhythm when you never get the ball and Jimmer is shooting so much. You could tell midway through the first half, he was not going to give it up! Geez dude, pass the ball!

• That's A Good One Meridian, ID
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Chris B. - your posts look pretty silly now, don't they? You should stick with prognosticating on something you actually have a clue about. Predicting BYU basketball doesn't seem to be among your strong suits.

Thank you Jimmer - May I have another?

• bkcharles Snowflake, AZ
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:08 p.m.

I know that this is an terribly overused phrase, but Jimmer never ceases to amaze me. Every time I watch him, he does at least five or six things that are so unbelievable! It is so fun to see someone actually live up to the hype. When I first read about this recruit from Glen Falls NY, I thought, he sounds too good to be true. From the first time I watched him play as a freshman, I thought "this guy should be a starter". Way to go Jimmer! Way to go Cougs!

The Cougars are the best defensive team that never gets any credit. It always seems that the teams they play always shoot at a much lower percentage than usual. I wonder why that is? The announcers raved about the defense of UNLV and SDSU as well. "This will be the best defensive team that they have faced this year", and guess which teams shot well below their season average? Which team had the most blocks? Please don't say that the Coug's don't play much defense!

• That's A Good One Meridian, ID
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:13 p.m.

It was billed as "Unbeatable vs Unstoppable". Now all the national sports outlets are just calling it purely "Unstoppable and Wow"...Jimmer

• Northwest Coug Pasco, WA
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:14 p.m.

No surprise the Cougars won but Jimmer is unbelievable. SportsCenter leads with him once again.

Gotta love catching a game in high-def! And Saturday too, but we have to find VERSUS.

• Delmar the Amazing Las vegas, NV
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Just like I said in all my other comments on other articles, BYU by 13.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:15 p.m.

@Chris B, etal:

Well dude, you just got Jimmered!!! Fun, wasn't it.

• Delmar423 Las vegas, NV
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:16 p.m.

Come on

Really? Really? You sound like a jr. Jazz coach.

• jw Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:16 p.m.

why is it, that as a die-hard ute who really dislikes everything and everyone to do with BYU... I cant help but like Jimmer?

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:18 p.m.

re: come on,

I 100% agree with you. Imagine watching Jimmer shoot the ball no matter how many defenders are on him time after time, while 2-3 others are left unguarded? And then trying to do it game after game, it has to get old for his teammates or should I say the four guys just playing defense. 34 shots (including the ones he got fouled on) and ZERO assists! WOW.

• Your Highness San Jose, CA
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:26 p.m.

This just in....Kevin Durrant just tweeted the following:

"Jimmer Fredette is the best scorer in the world!!"

That's pretty good pub coming from KD.

Is there any question? Ladies and gentlemen, your POY, Jimmer Fredette.

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:30 p.m.

"Jimmer Fredette is the best scorer in the world!!"

-Kevin Durant, via Twitter

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:39 p.m.

You who are turned off by Jimmer having no assists; please recheck the final score. GREAT game plan. Put the ball in Jimmer's hands. Most team players do not resent a winning game plan. Go Jimmer! Go BYU! That is what team play is all about; sacrificing one's share of personal glory to obtain a team win.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:39 p.m.

Great game to watch tonight. It was a good win for BYU but if I am all the other teams watching this, I start to build my defense around stopping Jimmer. I like BYU but to go far in March Madness you will need a complete team effort. I like the scoring but without assists this won't work too much longer. It will be a different game in San Diego next month but for now, it was a great TV game for fans. If I am Coach Rose I had better start to realize that BYU needs to be more balanced. You need a complete cast to win the big show.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:42 p.m.

Congrats Cougars on another great game.

Jimmer didn't have any assists mainly because Hartsock and Emery missed open 3's Jimmer set up for them. Together they were 0-7 from 3; Jimmer was 5-8. If Jax and Noah had hit their normal 40% from 3, the Cougars would have won by 20!

Regardless of the individual point totals, however, it was a team effort on defense -- blocks, steals, rebounds -- that made it possible for Jimmer's 43 to lead BYU to an impressive win over the #4 team in the country.

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 26, 2011 11:59 p.m.

It has a team effort to win for BYU tonight. Look at following statistics:

PointsJ. Fredette 43
    Rebounds N. Hartsock 7
    AssistsN. Hartsock 3
    StealsJ. Emery 4
    BlocksJ. Anderson 5

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 12:05 a.m.

One of the highlights was at the end of the game when the 22,700 fans spontaneously yelled to SDSU, "You got Jimmered!" over and over. It was a riot! At games' end, the fans swarmed the team on the floor in celebration of the victory. I had never seen that at a basketball game. It was so exciting.

This was a tense, close game until the Y opened the lead at the end. Jimmer was terrific! 43 points! The nation loves Jimmermania. And yet, he remains humble, yet confident through it all. Steve Fisher said after the game, "Jimmer is one of the best players I have ever seen." We all agree, coach.

Go Cougars!

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 12:12 a.m.

I was there and it was an incredible atmosphere. I don't really care where the points come from, I only care that in big games, Jimmer is at his best.

So was Emery, defensively! So was, yep, James Anderson, 5 blocks and also made it so BYU didn't have to double down and SDSU's shooters shot 36%. So was Davies, 14 points.

BYU said, "Jimmer you go score and we'll do the rest." There are many aspects to winning and as long as BYU wins consistently, the rest of the stuff is just talk.

BYU's victory was fun to watch. They are getting lots of national publicity and they are highly ranked. It's a good time to be a Cougar.

• Desert Coug Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 27, 2011 12:14 a.m.

Watching the game in a sports book here in Vegas, it was interesting to see that even people who lost money on SDSU were wowed at Jimmer.

(Easiest place I could watch the game for free)

go Cougars!!!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 27, 2011 12:18 a.m.

Just as I predicted--Hedgehog goes into hibernation. Let's hope the cougs don't fall into a pit or there will be alot of howling going on.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 27, 2011 12:45 a.m.

Congrats Yners on your big win. Jimmer is a good player, was surprised that after Rose pulled him from the game with seconds left he didn't reinsert him to add more points and rub it in. While the yners are good at home, I think altitude and Leonard being sick did play a little tiny part in the game. In San Diego and on a neutral court in Vegas with the majority of the crowd cheering for the Aztecs, I still see the Aztecs winning it all, it will be fun to watch. Enjoy the ride......

• FanofBYU American Fork, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 12:49 a.m.

Re: The Deuce - Are you kidding? The game we saw was by definition, a "Big Show." We watched two very good teams, with very high RPI ratings go head-to-head. Over 20 pro scouts in attendance. Again, it was a Big Show.

• PerfectCougar Payson, UTAH
    Jan. 27, 2011 1:13 a.m.

I am more than a little frustrated with the comments on this board that the only players who stepped up today were Davies and Jimmer. There is no question that they were the two effective offensive players - certainly. My problem is that posters are not recognizing SDSU for their incredible defense. Emery was never open for an uncontensted shot - never! Pressure was coming to all our players no matter how fast we passed the ball. SDSU was able to double Jimmer and get back to pressure the other players when he passed the ball. Hats off to a tough SDSU defense!

The same is true for a lack of respect for the play of everyone on defense, which is where the game was fought and won. Jimmer did enough to beat their defense and our team did enough to beat them inside.

I cheered loudest for Anderson!!!!!!!!!!!! What a man! He deserved to be considered first runner up for player of the game with Davies.

K. Collinsworth and Abouo were terrific on the offensive boards. Hartsock had a tough time with his first few open shots but worked extremely hard all day. (He should have kept shooting). He was great!

• True Blue Champions (1984) Provo, Utah
    Jan. 27, 2011 1:18 a.m.

Wow, amazing game!!! I may be overly optomistic but I am very excited about this team for various reasons.

1. Jimer out did himself again. This boy is amazing.
    He may well be one of the best scorers of all time. He will probably be picked in the top five of the NBA draft and if he is not picked first it will be due to the bias most of the nation has against my Cougs.

Considering the NBA games last much longer than a College game, I can see him scoring in the 30's each game as a Pro. It was just classic at the end of the game when everyone chanted "you got Jimered!!!" (I think pretty creative and intelligent fans!!!)

2. All of the other players on the Cougs would be super stars on any other major college team. We are very lucky to have a great group.

3. Looks like we will be getting a number one seat. If we play our cards right we may not only have a College Football Championship.

Thanks for the memories.

Go Cougs!!!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 1:28 a.m.

Felt like a sold out Springsteen concert in there. The mood was electric. What mood, the chaos was electric.

Great defensive plan drawn up by classy coach Steve Fisher.

Emery played amazing defense, causing SDSU to take a T.O., and Abuo causing another about fifteen seconds later.

Students rockin' to the rafters.

Anderson blocking shots.

And Jimmer, getting defended better than I have seen draining shots, from every zip-code.

Haters are missing out on a great ride. Makes ya sort of feel sorry for them.

Regardless of who scored what, that was a team "W" tonight, including coach Rose.

BYU beat a legit 4th ranked team (Defense was spectacular - but Jimmer is just that good).

I'm still pumped. Anyone wanna go to Dennys and get some breakfast?

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 1:57 a.m.

Come On & Sports Nutz

You really don't watch the games very closely do you. Jimmer took very few shots during the first 10 minutes. Seeing that the others just weren't scoring the strategy changed. Are either of you aware that we had 14 double digit scorers in the past 3 games?

You don't get assists when the guy you pass to misses the shot. Do either of you understand that?

Why do you watch the games? So you can find SOMETHING to complain about?

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 27, 2011 6:36 a.m.

Three classy things happened at the game last night. At the tip-off all the SDSU players did just shake hands with Jimmer they gave a quick man hug. I thought it was a great gesture of respect a sportsmanship. During the game right off the bat each team was helping the other of the floor there was zero thug mentality, even though it was a physical game. Finally, at the end of the game I never heard the fans chant to SDSU "overrated". They weren't, that was a great team.

Big props to SDSU for a great display of maturity and sportsmanship.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Jan. 27, 2011 7:09 a.m.

A college athlete like Jimmer Fredette comes along once in a lifetime. We probably haven't even seen his best game. Ask those who have had to guard him if he's too small, too slow, too un-athletic, doesn't get enough assists for a point guard. If I were his coach, I would never tell him to pass the ball more. I would tell him to shoot until he could no longer lift his arm!

• PerfectCougar Payson, UTAH
    Jan. 27, 2011 7:12 a.m.

Ii agree regarding SDSU being a class group of young men. They played hard and the game was much closer than the final score, as can happen in these types of games. Leonard was terrific and got light appluause from the crowd a number of times for his great plays. He is one of my favorite players. His ability to produce offensive rebounds is amazing and frustrating - kind of like what SDSU fans experience with Jimmer!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 7:13 a.m.

Nice win.
    That kids a gem.

• Triple B Milford, NH
    Jan. 27, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Awesome game! I'm paying the price today for the late night but it is worth it. Jimmer is incredible. He made a very smart move returning for his senior season. Can't wait to see him play in the NBA!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 27, 2011 7:41 a.m.

The SDSU players are a reflection of a coach (Fisher) with total class.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 8:03 a.m.

Awesome game!

Good job SDSU, you played well and were very classy. Good job Jimmer and the Cougars! All around awesome game from all of you!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 8:13 a.m.

I'm doing my "We'er not worthy, We're not worthy" hand wave.

43 points, no assists to go along with 4 turnovers. He is a special scorer in the college ranks for sure. He took over the game when his whole team did not respond. Pretty amazing. Enjoy it while you have him cougs.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 8:54 a.m.

Not since I attended the first games held at the MC (wasn't Cosic fun to watch) have I witnessed such a supportive and energetic crowd. We need to fill the arena up the rest of the way. Jimmer, Brander, Noaher, Kyler, Jameser, Charlier, and the thief were a joy to watch on defense against some very tough customers. The battle under the boards was a war and most shots were tightly contested. Hard to believe Anderson blocked those shots and actually made a shot on an offensive rebound put back. Jimmer had to shot great to win this one. Signs held by the students were funny and plentiful. Please stop the booing because that is not who we are.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 27, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Two great teams, two classy programs. Game was all it was billed to be.
    Way to go COUGS!
    I hope my Dukies don't run into this team in the tourney, might get ousted.

After the overrated Utesies got blown out by TCU little Chris B. crawled in a hole for months. Maybe this will shut him and his "predictions" up for good.
    I can hope anyways.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Right on 3 grandslams but I want to add a fourth classy thing that I saw. As the SDSU time filed out of the arena after the game, BYU fans in the seats along the ramp reached down and slapped hands with the players thanking them for the great game they played. That was cool. One other thing. Anybody who doesn't think Kawhi Leonard isn't the real deal needs to get their head examined. 22 points and 15 rebounds is a monster game.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Jan. 27, 2011 9:12 a.m.

"Jimmer will try to be a hero and ruin the game for his team. Gay will be all over Jimmer and he will selfishly ruin it for his team."

"San Diego 70"
    "tds 60"

"Looking forward to a great game for all of us who love to hate byu."

I usually don't like to give Chris B. attention, but I just couldn't pass this up. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 27, 2011 9:31 a.m.

"As the SDSU time filed out of the arena after the game, BYU fans in the seats along the ramp reached down and slapped hands with the players thanking them for the great game they played."

Conversely, UNLV fans would have spit on the opposing players, dumped drinks, etc, etc.

• DesertRat Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 27, 2011 9:38 a.m.

Oh my heck.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 10:57 a.m.

TheSpiker | 1:57 a.m. Jan. 27, 2011
    Alpine, UT
    Come On & Sports Nutz

===

If they really watched the game, Jimmer passed up quite a few open shots to try to work his teamates into the game.

As part of a team, eveyone does whatever they need to do to win a game.

Who complains when a runningback gets 200 yards rushing?

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 27, 2011 11:35 a.m.

If this keeps up, more people will be watching Jimmer play basketball on TV than will watch the superbowl!

• Resident2 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 27, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Credit SDSU for Jimmer not having any assists. They pretty much shut down the rest of the team, save Davies. Even when Jimmer would thread the needle they'd take the shot away from the other guys. Typically Jimmer has more assists.

Great game to attend. The atmosphere was electric.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Mountanman | 11:35 a.m. Jan. 27, 2011
    Hayden, ID
    ===
    ???

Maybe over the top?

I will say this media attention for a college athlete is something I have never seen before, but then we have never had this type of social communication availible.

Even the NBA players are having fun with it.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 27, 2011 1:00 p.m.

After this spectacular win the ute trolls rise to their full stature and try for an ankle bite - sorry and pitiful. With all of the hype, storming the court was just what the Cougar fans needed to do. If all the ute fans stormed their court it would be empty. Now focus on the Lobos and go for it.