Utah Jazz: Yet another bad East team feasts on the Jazz

Comments

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    Jan. 22, 2011 8:31 p.m.

Well there was finally a starting lineup change tonight. I was a little surprised it was Hayward in place of AK.

• JazzyMan Meadow, UT
    Jan. 22, 2011 8:44 p.m.

I thought the key for the Jazz to be a top four team in the West this year depended heavily on the coaching staff either developing Fes or integrating Elson into the team chemistry or both.Another key was how good was Okur going to be when he returned after recuperation from a rather serious injury. So far none of these situations have panned out. At the start of the season and a little beyond,it looked as though the combo of Fess and Elson might give the Jazz enough of a "big man" presence inside to lift the Jazz into a top knotch Western Conference team,but that has surely come to a halt. The question is why hasn't this happened. Is it coaching or lack of desire or playing time for these guys. Is Sloan motivating these guys right or is it Laziness on the part of the aforementioned two guys. I'm thinking it's a combination of both.It appears to me that Fess hasn't really improved his game one iota from the first few games of the year and often looks confused when on the court.I think the Jazz need a trade.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Jan. 22, 2011 8:57 p.m.

Just sick!

• Indricothere Worland, WY
    Jan. 22, 2011 9:00 p.m.

This is really starting to get old. I feel like on all 4 of these games are actually the same game. Lose the 1st quarter, and every other quarter as well. The starting line up change did not do much at all. Same lack of intensity and horrible shooting. We are sinking fast this is pretty bad. I am considering not even setting the DVR anymore. Next up LA, my guess is that it will play out just like the Boston game did. Not sure how we get back on track?

• Nevada fan Washoe Valley, NV
    Jan. 22, 2011 9:04 p.m.

I have kept my mouth shut long enough (so here it goes) I believe Sloan is the one that pulled the trigger on the Hayward pick and I believe he has become the coach's pet. He doses not bring that much more to the game then if Fes was to get playing time or start. At least they wouldn't be able to drive to the basket untouched. The issue about setting screens, boxing out etc is on coaching plan and simple, and if you ask me from the coaching staff right down to but a few players they are all lazy! Good luck in Dallas D'Will you deserve a better team. Dump CJ, Okur, and Hayward.

• Ak Fan Hamburg, GE
    Jan. 22, 2011 9:23 p.m.

Well now it's on coach if you cannot prepare player to game you are not deserve to manage. At least once be like Jets Rex Ryan inspire not criticize or humiliate. There is reason Jerry never won anything in his entire career.
    All Jazz players have talent just need right touch sadly never expect from current coach.
    Nothing to add who played better or not...

• IDJazz12 Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 22, 2011 9:25 p.m.

Where are those people who were so glad to get rid of Korver? Ya all complained Korver could't guard anyone. Well Heyward and Bell can't shoot nor can they guard anyone and both are turnover prone. I would take Korver over these two dunces any day.

• knightrider Hurricane, UT
    Jan. 22, 2011 9:30 p.m.

@ Nevada Fan

The rebounding and screen setting is all about EFFORT, and right now the Jazz are not giving any at all. It's like everyone expects someone else to go get a rebound. You can't teach effort, it has to come from within the players.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Jan. 22, 2011 10:00 p.m.

You wonder if there are internal issues we do not know about. Although suprised Gordon got a chance, he did not take advantage of it and went back to his days here. Afraid. Once he finally got the ball he had chances to shoot but did not.

The Jazz had a lot of sloppy turnovers. CJ now has stunk 4 in a row. He still I feel should be starting and that might be the biggest change needed.

Also now Price had a DNP and now Fes sits again even when we were getting pounded on the boards with Hawes, Brand and friends.

I predicted this would happen 0-5 trip and now 1 1/2 games out of first.

Okur looks terrible

Why was Fes not used JERRY

• Nevada fan Washoe Valley, NV
    Jan. 22, 2011 10:12 p.m.

@ Knight Rider
    I agree, and I also think that a NBA player should not need to be told, coerced or whatever you want to call it, but they do need ( per AK Fan)to be inspired, even if it takes 2 days.

• Dolly Sandy, UT
    Jan. 22, 2011 10:19 p.m.

I am so bummed! Is it time for a team meeting and getting down to the nitty gritty on expectations and true desires? Coming up...national TV with the Lakers...getting embarrassed or bouncing back? I see hanging heads, defeat posture, surrender. That is not the Jerry Sloan way. Where is the "fight your way through adversity" and "see what you are made of" and "make yourself a better player"???? That advice has brought me through a couple of surgeries and other dreadful stuff and I don't make the big bucks. Come on, Jazzboys, you are bigger than this and more talented. Figure it out!! We neurotic fans are still behind you and want you to succeed. Hold your heads up!! Enough of this pity party.

Go Jazzboys!! Bring on the Lakers!!

• chiefbrady Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2011 10:20 p.m.

I would LOVE to ask D-Will candidly what he would suggest doing. Trade? New Coach? New starting line up?

My hunch is that D-Will is keeping his tongue tied. I just wish they'd give Price more time. That guy has HEART and I wouldn't care what mistakes he makes because he was the only player the Jazz had who literally fought the Lakers.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Jan. 22, 2011 10:29 p.m.

At least Fes can set a screen, play some defense, and block his man off the boards. This small front line seems alot like Nellie ball. The line up change seemed like a diversion from the real problem of lack of a true center. The power forward experiment at center is getting horrible results. What was it Einstien said RV.

Bell is not working out at the 2 guard either.

• first2third Elmo, UT
    Jan. 22, 2011 10:33 p.m.

@ Vince like you really can't help yourself from throwing up sick. The Jazz are pathetic right now. Hopefully this is just a down time and they will bounce back.

• The Final Word Alpine, UT
    Jan. 22, 2011 11:10 p.m.

It is comical reading all the comments about all these backup and role players....like they are suddenly going to make a difference to win games.

The problem is this: Deron is supposedly THE leader on this team and who is following his supposed example to play better?

Nobody thats who. So what kind of leader is he when nobody will follow all his pouting and grumping?

Millsap? Too short and his stats are dropping every month and he is completely AWOL the last 4 games in a row.

CJ? Sloan will need to go back and get the diapers out for this guy who clearly can't manage to string consecutive performances together of any value.

The starters are stinking it up. Unless your starters are willing to put in the effort you won't be winning games. Hayward, Price, and Fes are all just filler if the supposed starters can't beat the worst teams/lineups in the NBA and that is exactly what happened.

Wizards, Nets, and Sixers? They all stink but they put the boots to our starters.

These players are learning they can't win one on one.

Use Sloans system or fail boys!!

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Jan. 22, 2011 11:31 p.m.

We are starting 3 forwards and a washed up shooting guard and we expect D-Will to carry the load every night. How long can this go on? I am so bummed out on the play at shooting guard, Bell doesnt shoot, drive, assist or rebound. Starting three forwards is terrible because all three are decent around the rim, but cant hit buckets from outside. When one player decides to drive to the hole, everyone else stands around watching, instead of following up for a put back or a possible dish off/assist or rebound. I would rather cheer for Otheus Jeffers then Raja Bell. I say make some trades, dump salary, bring in fresh legs. Lets go JAZZ, snap out of it!

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Jan. 22, 2011 11:51 p.m.

It is difficult with Raja Bell he is very likable, by the way I got banned from team site for expressing my strong opinions. However, no Fes means no rebounds, Paint patrol or any Defense

Once again he is not the second coming of WIlt but I guarantee he is more effective than Okur Or Elson tell me would you rarher have Elson pop in jumper every now and then get 2-4 points and nothing else?

Or someone maybe with 0 points, 5 or 6 boards maybe a block and thwarted maybe good 4 to 6 points that would have scored otherwise?

Be the judge

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 12:07 a.m.

Re Id fan, here I am glad to get rid of Korver, relieved and still thrilled the Jazz pulled the trigger on that. Whoever his replacement Bell or Hayward or water boy or whomever. The Jazz proved they couldn't be successful with a one dimensional part timer. Whoever the replacements they can dribble and pass and don't wilt under pressure. I watched him miss 3 open 3's last week in one game and was so glad he wore another team's jersey.

Mr. Alpine said it right without starters that are willing to really take it to the rim the JAzz are doomed. It doesn't matter how many Elsons or Fesenkos or Prices are on the bench.

The Jazz have a player who makes 17m annually and is playing like one who makes less than 4m and would be good trade bait.

I am glad my last name is not Sloan as I would be pulling my hair out. This team is not working together and so the game is not even fun to watch anymore.

What about getting Ostertag to be the commentator, he is great and fun to listen to.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 12:33 a.m.

Why doesn't Price play? He's the perfect embodiment of what this starting lineup needs.

Gordon Hayward should NOT start....he's no Wes Mathews...

And why is the statistically best player on this team always benched?
    I'll never understand this system...

• angrykernel Ogden, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 12:39 a.m.

Memo to KOC. Next time offer more than the minimum qualifying offer to W. Matthews! DUH. Raja recap. 3 Points PH76ers. 4 Points Celtics, 4 Points NJ Nets and 5 points LA Clippers. 16 points in the last 4 games. Average 4 PPG. You have got to be kidding me! W. Matthews has scored 18.5PPG the last 4 games. All you had to do was extend him a legitimate offer and you didn't. He wanted to play for us and you offered him pennies on the dollar. Hungry and talented and we watched him walk out the door. You fool you gave Ostertag, Kirilenko, and Miles wasted money but not him. Choke on it.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 12:57 a.m.

These guys have given up. What is going on? No heart, no effort and no motivation. I am glad there are a couple of good college teams in the state to follow. I give up on the Jazz. They are not even fun to watch anymore. I doubt they will make the playoffs this year.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 3:03 a.m.

This reminds me of some fast food chain whose jingle is I'm Loving It!

• bobby d Beaver, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 7:00 a.m.

I agree with the angrykernel. What a mistake letting a shooting guard like Wes go. But he's gone. So now what. The problem the Jazz have had since inception is "no center". This year is no exception. When Memo is in the game the running game totally stops. AK runs 5 miles a night but goes nowhere. Trade AK and Memo for a real center, one that actually jumps! Elson can still be the backup but he needs more than 3 minutes per night. Do your job KOC and find a legit center. Also the Jazz front office must work together on player decisions. KOC obviously can't make them. Good ones anyway. Bynum would fit well here. DWill has no confidence in his teamates at this point. Price needs to be on the floor as well. You want to shake things up. Put Price & DWIll on the floor at the same time and run like crazy.

• mfgarcia Richfield, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 7:39 a.m.

It's in the mind and Williams could use a sports psychologist right now. If you've monitored his comments over the course of the 4-game stretch it goes something like this: "We can't...nobody...everybody (in a negative way)...none, need to, have to..." and so forth.

In rationale recovery (from addiction science) and CBT (cognitive behavaioral therapy)--words represent what's going on inside emotionally. If we hear another person speak and pay attention to the specific words he uses--then we can surmise what is happening on the inside of that person.

So I ask: If Deron is truly within the top-3 point guards in the league, and if his dialogue is SO NEGATIVE and if he's considered to be the leader on this Jazz team--then with his dialogue he is leading them into NEGATIVE TERRITORY with his choice of words. Whatever happened with the inspiritaional leadership that goes like, "It's going to be okay. We are not losers we are winners. We can do this guys. Keep your heads up--I'm keeping mine up...?"

Where's positive leadership going to come from with the Jazz?

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 8:19 a.m.

if only cj were getting more shots.............

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    Jan. 23, 2011 8:26 a.m.

The Jazz are lazy, disinterested and apathetic. End of story....

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Jan. 23, 2011 8:29 a.m.

ID Jazz,not only would I have Korver back,but Brewer,Matthews and Maynor also.Bell and CJ are both worthless,Bell is a has-been,CJ is a never was been.I`ve said for weeks the 3 PF`s will only work against certain match-ups.We need Memo to pull a big out,then Millsap or AJ can go to work

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 23, 2011 8:39 a.m.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a little odd that the toughest kid on this team gets NO minutes last night--when this team is clearly displaying a lack of toughness? What does Jerry want out of Ronnie Price? He plays EXACTLY the way that Jerry preaches basketball should be played. Not the most talented, but the biggest heart and that is what the Jazz need much more of. How many times this season have Ronnie and Earl Watson come in and cleaned up the mess the starters made simply by playing harder? I think Ronnie must rub Jerry the wrong way in some fashion. Well, I'm disgusted with this recent set of woes but I'm not a bandwagon fan and I'll continue to pull for these guys. These next two might be more painful than pulling teeth. Go Jazz..........

• Nevada fan Washoe Valley, NV
    Jan. 23, 2011 8:56 a.m.

Check out "hoopshype" site. D Will is soooo outta here thats its not even funny. Can ya blame him?

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Put the monkey on Fez and Hayward. I noted the two rookies feed of each other. Haywood seems to have a high basketball IQ and Fez can hang around the rim and dominate, having fun at the same time scoring. Fez needs to play, be tested, and then go from there. We need a big to help the program. Look at what Malone did feeding off of Stockton. Big Al may not be big enough, strong enough.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Jan. 23, 2011 9:58 a.m.

bgl,Ronnie Price plays hard but lots of times he`s out of control and tries to do too much,he needs to scale it back just a bit,play hard but within the system,just think if CJ had half of Ronnie`s heart and desire....

• louisiana jazz man Dubach, LA
    Jan. 23, 2011 10:27 a.m.

they are playing like the dallas cowboys. who were i guess trying to get rid of the coach. soon as he was gone they played better.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Jan. 23, 2011 11:09 a.m.

These are all very good comments. My favorite player is "Fez". He could really be developed into a powerhouse. This is not happening. Why not? Kirilenko is my seond favorite. Last year, he was terrible. This year, he hs done everything asked of him. Last night, he had twelve off the bench. He doesn't even get the ball according to his shoot stats and has a high percentage. Okur is next on the list. His injuries have decimated him. It is obvious that his serious injury was caused by "shooting him with pain killers" and putting him on the floor. I saw pictures of his "Achilles tearing" Under normal circumstances, the stepping on another foot and twisting his ankle should not have been this severe. The Jazz are "heading south for the winter". The Lakers will finish them off and then the Spurs will "feast on the remains". Something has to be done and like "now". Semper Fi.

• Holiday St. George, Utah
    Jan. 23, 2011 11:33 a.m.

Why don't the Jazz try trading for Rip Hamilton? He seems like a guy that could really help the Jazz's offensive woes. He moves hard without the ball and cuts hard off of screens and can hit that 20 foot jumper consistently and he's for sale. He seems like a perfect fit in the Jazz's system. The only problem would be taking on his salary and who do we trade for him (although noone on our team is playing good, so we might as well trade ANYONE for him).

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 11:59 a.m.

We need a shooting guard and a center. We have a center, but for some reason coach likes playing 3 forwards and a washed up shooting guard that doesnt shoot, rebound, drive or assist. As long as I can remember the Jazz have had a Big man in the middle altering shots and rebounding. I wonder why Fesenko doesnt get the starts and CJ Miles doesnt start at the 2? Bell is worthless. I am hoping for a REAL line up change, not that I dont like Air Gordan starting for AK, I just dont think that is the major problem, I think not having a center and a higher caliber 2 guard to help Deron is killing us!

• jazz_man Fajardo, PR
    Jan. 23, 2011 12:32 p.m.

@Nevada fan. I checked the articles in question but I believe Williams was speaking solely in a hypothetical scenario. I'm still not convinced that Williams departure is imminent. I believe that management has quite a few options here and there to at least try to keep him happy.

• Fuzzbrain Pleasant Grove, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 1:20 p.m.

The Jazz are playing basketball on one set of legs--DWIll. Stockton wouldn't have ever become the high caliber of player that he was without another great player to dish the ball to. The Jazz need to either upgrade their weak points at center & shooting guard; or find another blue-chip player to go with DWill. One All-Star isn't enough, that's why Boston, Dallas, San Antonio, Miami & the Lakers are the best teams in the league.

• thewholetruth West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Jazz right now, just don't play the game honestly--with any fire or enthusiasm.
    Yet each makes [a] million[s] but can't 'motivate' themselves to play a GAME82 times?! And worse, they're feelin "sorry for themsel[ves]"? What?
    Coach J-Slo has said he's "not a motivator". What CEO, manager, supervisor, or any corporate officer holding responsibility over people, a team, or work-group, absolves himself from being a 'motivator'!? When the Spurs lost a couple of games recently, Coach Poppovich was observed fiercely displaying some mental and emotional toughness, getting fired-up during timeouts. He got it into the heads of his players what he wanted (they were being out-rebounded). They responded and won.
    Jazz of the past were notoriously tough. Have they lost their Jazz-tough veneer, and become cream-puffs? I don't know, but this much I do know, is that the ONLY ones who bring real mental toughness, and who man-it-up at the defensive side is Price, Millsap, D-Will (usually). Fez and Elson used to, but even Fez has lost his bullish-ness under the basket!
    Simply, what the Jazz lack is "motivation"--away from 'coasting'.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Jan. 23, 2011 5:33 p.m.

Front Office needs to trade...for me...i dont think Hayward should start just yet...after being at the bottom of the rotation for awhile and then started...the kid still has shaky confidence...he deserve some minutes...but starting?...i think its too early...i think CJ Miles deserve a shot to start...i mean...what's the worse thing could happen? if he busts out early in the quarter...we could salvage him by putting on energy guys like price...Jazz needs to trade...inquire about Josh Childress Brandon Rush Austin Daye Reggie Williams Chris Douglas-Roberts...loads more talent out there that's not being used...

• concerned jazz fan Park City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2011 6:33 p.m.

CJ Miles should start in place of Bell, AK must start instead of Hayward.. and last but not the least, please don't be too overconfident in winning games in comeback fashion, teams are now smarter, so it is going to be tougher to do that, set the tone as early as possible

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Jan. 23, 2011 8:55 p.m.

Bobby Knight wrote a column one year during the final four. One of his comments: "It is much easier to be a sports writer than a coach. As a writer, I don't have 30,000 idiots trying to tell me how to do my job."

• tomo keystone heights, fl.
    Jan. 24, 2011 5:51 a.m.

I agree with Holiday's suggestion about aquiring Rip from Detroit..I love AK and once spouted off that he was more valuable than Gasol but boy was I wrong..If it takes AK to get him I say ,let her rip..

• tomo keystone heights, fl.
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:06 a.m.

ak for rip & ben wallace financially would work..

• MESOUTE Albany, NY
    Jan. 24, 2011 8:48 a.m.

This is not a good basketball team. I projected the Jazz to win 41 games this season and miss the playoffs. I stick to that projection.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    Jan. 24, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Really I am not Coach Sloan, but Fesenko, Evans, Price not playing and letting those other slumping
    heartless, no passioned quintet start is beyond me.
    Does anyone remember when Sloan started a different crew in the 1990's, when no one was performing?
    He needs to do more drastic steps rather than playing 'Opie Milicic' Hayward.

• TerryHaimes Sturgis, MS
    Jan. 24, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Somebody tell Sloan that the 8 man rotation will get another lottery pick, if that is what he is looking for.