Behind the Mic: Jimmer Fredette took the long path to stardom

Comments

• Gifford VanBuren Holladay, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Mr. Wrubell,
    Thanks for the look into JF's past. I always enjoy them. So did you have to wear a poncho the entire time you wrote this? Or is THAT not really a problem.

• Idaho guy Meridian, ID
    Jan. 17, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Jimmer is simply amazing! Love the kids humility. Kid can play and if he keeps it up BYU will have a deep run in NCAA and Jimmer has legit shot at National Player of the Year! Go Cougars!

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Jan. 17, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Lets get the MC sold out the rest of the year. I don't want anyone claiming to be a Cougar if they live within 40 miles and don't go to several of our home games!

Sell out the Mar C!!!!!

Go Y

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Jan. 17, 2011 2:50 p.m.

I remember talking to my nephew after that tourney loss in Jimmer's freshman year. We both agreed that Jimmer needeed to start the next year. Little did we know how good he really would become. GO Cougars!!!!!

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Jimmer was one of the only guys that was mentally tough in the post season on that BYU roster 3 years ago...Danny Ainge has got to be Number One Cougar all time...I never did see Cosic...but I think you could put Jemmer 1 1/2...right now...and hey...his career is not done yet...Ainge, Roberts and Kite each played close to 10 years in the NBA and they were on that Elite 8 Team...Jimmer will play in the NBA...Davies may as well.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 5:15 p.m.

One of those things that make you go HUMMMM. There is something to be said for earning your stripes. This is a wonderful story on how one grows into a man. This makes me wonder about coach Bronco and how he is going to sell Jake on the Independent firer side circuit ? I know all the talking points about how you stand for God, Honor and team. I still have the video of Bronco's herald burning of the old Uni's and reestablishing BYU back to it's core values. I am just wondering what the message will be over the pulpits in chapels across this nation, you know it could sound something like " Hey all you young men of the church you do not need to serve a full time mission as long as you are the starting QB for the BYU "
    POLY Cougar Nation.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 17, 2011 6:13 p.m.

Ah, Big Hapa, eh tu Brute?

Look, no one wants Jake to make up his own mind to risk it all and go serve the Lord in answer to a prophet's direct call - more than me. But it isn't about Bronco spinning it. It's about the athlete living with it.

I get really pumped about Cougar football, and BYU basketball IS going through a once in a generation thing right now, and I even give thanks in my heart on Monday morning for great athletic accomplishments by BYU and Mormon athletes the day before.

But Jim McMahon (well okay. Not my best choice...) steve young, Ty detmer, they all take a back seat to Eli Herron. See, I don't remember for sure his last name, but I am positive what he stood for.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 17, 2011 10:00 p.m.

Wow.

Maybe this year he'll advance his team beyond the first second round.

Or maybe not....

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Jan. 17, 2011 11:59 p.m.

I think Frank Laytons comments and predictions have more meaning and value that Howard S and Live Hard above. Thank goodness you guys are not coaches. The wrong guys would be promoted and the right guys would sit.

Jimmer is alrady a great college player. When he dumped 47 on Utah it kind of shows his greatness. His story of coming up through the ranks, earning his time and paying his dues. Jimmer is all basketball player.

Go Cougars.

• manutd Milford, CT
    Jan. 18, 2011 12:51 a.m.

don't remember murdock doing all that much. i love how murdock says jimmer isn't that fast, really? makes you wonder if jimmer should have been given the reigns sooner. he was probably ready and was only the backup because of playing seniors who paid their dues instead of raw talent, a common theme at byu, even bronco tends to do it. anyhow, kudos to jimmer for being humble. i like this guy a lot.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Jan. 18, 2011 4:30 a.m.

Laughed at Murdock's comments.

It was really clear, even as a Freshman, that Fredette had star potential.

To his credit, Fredette has fulfilled and exceeded expectations.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Jan. 18, 2011 8:57 a.m.

Big Cougs fan, and I can't wait for the two match-ups against SDSU and hope the Cougs but the Aztecs in their place; however, ENOUGH of Jimmer articles! I don't think there's a day that goes by without reading about Fredette. I understand that he's aguably the greates Coug basketball player, but it's getting old. How about other types of personal interest stories on some of the other players? Last I checked there were 12-14 other players on the team.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 11:27 a.m.

re: AK cougar- Dumping 47 against Utah this year does not show "greatness". We all know Jimmer is good, but 47 against a horrible Utah team means nothing. If and when he scores that much against SDSU or gets his team some wins in the NCAA tourney, then maybe he can be called "great". I do love to watch Jimmer, but I think all the cougar fans have a little "gold fever" when it comes to him. Basketball fans of other college teams see a good player, but we also see a ball hog. Admit it...if your son were playing on the same team, Ball hog would follow his name more than great.
    I am like everybody else, I can't wait to see IF he makes it in the NBA. (remember Aroyo?) All BYU fans thought he would be the greatest and where is he now? Brazil?

• BigCougar SLC, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 11:51 a.m.

I watched a re-broadcast of the BYU vs UNLV in Vegas game from Jimmer's freshman year. BYU led most of the game and then faltered down the stretch when UNLV turned up the heat on defense and BYU struggled to make shots with Murdock running the point.

The offense looked like it was stuck in 3rd gear but when Jimmer got in the game the tempo picked up and things began to happen. You could see the difference very clearly that he was better, even as a freshman, than either Burgess or Murdock and it made you scratch your head and wonder why he wasn't playing more then.

• Cougar Passion Riverton, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 1:24 p.m.

Big Hapa,
    Right there with you, brother. As much as I want to see BYU win, I will have a hard time getting excited regardless of their success if Jake does not go on a mission and continues to start. Jake simply doesn't get what the school stands for if he thinks he is exempt from the obligation of missionary service. We finally got to the point in the mid-1990's where most players, including quarterbacks, no longer conveniently forgot the "every worthy young man" directive. It is also inherently unfair for someone like James Lark, who paid his dues as a missionary, to not get his turn because another kid came in and chose not to go. As self-centered as Ben Olson's choice was a few years ago to leave BYU in the lurch--aware that other quarterbacks went elsewhere knowing they could not compete for the starting job--at least he went on a mission.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 3:55 p.m.

@Cougar Passion and Big Hapa

What you guys are saying is outrageous. It is none of your business whether or not anyone else goes on a mission other than yourselves. Going on a mission is not a pre requisite for going to heaven, being a preisthood holder, paying tithing, serving in callings including leadership callings, having a temple recomend or having any other blessing the church has to offer.

Many people choose not to serve missions for various reasons, I chose not to and I am an active tithe paying temple married member with callings and all else.

You both need to take a look at yourselves and figure out when it was you became so holy that you were appointed to cast judgement on everyone else.

Frankly your comments are more embarrassing to those of us that believe in free agency even more than the rest of us that are Cougar fans.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Howard S. | 10:00 p.m. Jan. 17, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT
    "One of the most accomplished players in BYU history and Fredette only has one tournament victory.

Wow.

Maybe this year he'll advance his team beyond the first second round.

Or maybe not.... "
    ===

Or maybe he will...

Would that make you cry? Just a little?

At least you live in Taylorsville... You can hang your hat on that.....