Dick Harmon: Success at BYU breeds popularity for Dave Rose

Comments

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Jan. 15, 2011 4:22 a.m.

We have to give Rose his due praise.

I have struggled because BYU consistently does not have the inside power players to do well on the national scene in the NCAA Tournament. I struggled because of the exit of a great player, Michael Loyd.

But this season has been remarkable and fun to watch. I appreciate the way the Cougars guard the three-point line and the fact that Fredette is distributing the ball much better than he did last year.

I continue to be concerned about BYU's ability to rebound and defend internally (e.g., UCLA), but I respect the work that Rose and staff have done in preparing the Cougars.

On a personal note, Rose is a class act who I enjoy and admire as well.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Jan. 15, 2011 6:21 a.m.

It's the nature of sports. If you're winning, every thing else doesn't matter. You will always be smelling like a rose. I'm sure if wasn't winning, some will already be calling for his head right now. It's the nature of the beast...just the way things are! That's not to say he's not a great coach nor an excellent leader. He is all that, and has proven it over and over since he took reign of the program. Go Cougs! Go Coach! You are so fun to watch!!!

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Jan. 15, 2011 8:32 a.m.

He's a big time coach, fantastic winning %, and went through some life changing (and hair color changing) alterations which is inspiring to fans and players alike. Rose has a brilliant future ahead of him, I'm very glad to have him, a very classy guy.

Go Y

• Hoosier Kearns, Utah
    Jan. 15, 2011 8:55 a.m.

I can vividly remember him after some bitter contraversial loses, like Arizona State a couple of years back, when an allowed tip in/game winner was nullified minutes later by the officiating crew. I didn't personally see enough video evidence to reverse the call, but they did. Outside of Tarvenari, the entire team/cocahes took the officails decision in stride. Rose was just as cordial following that game, as he is when he works an opponent by 25.

Rose is just a flat out a cool cat (Cougar), and fine reprentitive of Brigham Young University, with lots of 'newly found' perspective on life.

We couldn't be more fortunate/blessed to have him calling the shots.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Jan. 15, 2011 9:37 a.m.

Not only is he a good coach, but he is a snappy dresser. Love the tie in the photo.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2011 9:53 a.m.

All too true. He personifies the aspirations of BYU and intercollegiate athletics and makes it even easier to be a Cougar fan.

• malwambiwamba Provo, UT
    Jan. 15, 2011 10:25 a.m.

He "speaks the local jargon..."

What is that supposed to mean? English?

• Tequila Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Ute fan here, but nothing but respect for Rose and his program just like with Edwards. That being said, I still hate BYU and always will. Bring back Mejerus and go Utes....

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Jan. 15, 2011 10:55 a.m.

malwambiwamba

Maybe he uses phrases like "every fiber of my being." Or perhaps he refers to Spanish Fork simply as "Spanish" or says "the BYU." Just kidding.

On a personal note, we used to be in the same ward as the Roses. What a wonderful family they are! I'm so happy to see him having such a great year (and career) at the Y.

Go Cougars!

• bonemvoies1 Cedar City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Coach Rose and family have come a long way since Fillmore. Coaching the Eagles and then on to the warmer climes of St. George. Young and brash then. More mature and well rounded now. I am sure he would like to get back to the final four again. This time as a coach. But with that front line, I don't think their tough enough. You never know. When the Eagles took it that year, they got hot at the right time!

• bkcharles Snowflake, AZ
    Jan. 15, 2011 12:52 p.m.

I am afraid that this kind of article breed's criticism. Dick, if you say that Rose is doing everything right, then someone is going to point out perceived problems. Louisiana Cougar commented that BYU doesn't have a consistent inside power presence, and that "I struggled because of the exit of a great player, Michael Loyd".

From what I understand, Michael Loyd departed because of his inability to deal with living according to the BYU's standards for behavior and appearance. If Dave Rose has to dismiss players because of these type of problems, then he is doing his job. From what I understand, BYU's goals are (1) to be representatives of the schools LDS standards, and (2) to be competitive at a high level nationally. So far, goal accomplished! In my eyes, he is doing exactly that. Michael Loyd was repeatedly warned about his behavior and appearance, and he continued to escalate the improper actions. As for the inside power presence criticism, this may be true, but he does an excellent job of adjusting the style of play and strategy to the players he has! Go Coach Rose! Go Cougars!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Jan. 15, 2011 1:44 p.m.

You nailed it Dick. I'm a Ute fan and have nothing but respect for Dave Rose. He's built a great program and built it the right way. This looks like a team that can go a long way this year in the tournament. I hope the move to the WCC doesn't undermine all his work. These guys could be a presence for years to come on the national scene.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 15, 2011 1:50 p.m.

I think we are at the point where we have to say he's the best ever at BYU. I won't name 3 who were an embarassment. I will name one who was in the same court. Stan Watts may be number one, but it was a different era in many respects. Stan never had the media focus, the Internet, and the honor code was much more flexible. He did not have to contend with players on missions. Wats had some limits on who he could recruit, but he represented the school very well. Rose is so good it is hard to believe we have him. He's a perfect fit for a perfect job. He's a great example. I was one who wondered about appointing an assistant, but I take it back...he's number 1. Now...can we keep him.

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    Jan. 15, 2011 2:01 p.m.

Certainly, the way Rose proclaims the churchs message (example) is far better than the way Bronco and the football program does (telling you about it).

Perhaps the basketball program should be treated more on par with the football program(decisions made more for their benefit) at BYU despite the income difference.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Jan. 15, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Seattleview

I would agree with you if Coach Mendenhall didn't walk the walk as well. Different personalities here (same as the mission field), will reach different people.

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    Jan. 15, 2011 3:01 p.m.

Re: Seattleview

I think it's unfair to compare to two coaches. The media scrutiny is so intense for football, that Bronco can't blow his nose without it being examined and interpreted six ways from Sunday.

Bronco by his very nature seems to be a quiet, reflective individual, who prefers to remain outside the spotlight, and keep his religious observance a private thing also. Just a thought.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    Jan. 15, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Good human interest story. Not surprising. The man is a good coach and will stay at the Y a very long time.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2011 6:19 p.m.

and 1 tourney win!

Woo hoo!

Some program/coach

Only 500 other coaches have that honor

• ted cantrell OREM, UT
    Jan. 15, 2011 10:13 p.m.

Chris B:

You are unreal. Don't you wish that Utah could just bet BYU, let alone go to the big Dance?

• ted cantrell OREM, UT
    Jan. 15, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Chris B:

You are unreal. Don't you wish that Utah could just beat BYU, let alone go to the big Dance?

Sorry, I need a good typing coach!

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    Jan. 16, 2011 12:19 a.m.

Fresno girl and Coug:

I understand the difference in media attention between these programs. However, Bronco goes well out of his way to tell people how he feels BYU players are better people (not players) than at other schools. He publically trys to put some type of religious spin on any situation he can. He could do that privately and be just as effective with the players if that is his concern.

You will always teach more effectively by showing an example than you will by telling others how they should live and what they should do.

I simply admire Coach Roses "example" more than I do the talk / hype that we constantly hear from the football program.

Hopefully, this independance move will be beneficial to both programs.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 16, 2011 2:09 p.m.

What a great guy he is and a motivater. Keep up the fast pace game coming with fun entertainment.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 16, 2011 2:20 p.m.

His chances of getting a real coaching job at a real program has never been higher. I would imagine his is secretly compaigning with the ligit conference teams about coaching opportunities. Rose might have to step into an assistant role for a year or two but in time, I could see him coaching in the PAC12 or one of the other big six conferences.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Jan. 16, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Great Job Coach through all the adversity. Its fun to be a Cougar fan. I think that they will have a great season, my prediction will be they will lose both games to SDSU and the road game at the pit in New Mexico but I think they will win the rest of the games.

• bjfcubsfan Wellsville, UT
    Jan. 16, 2011 7:31 p.m.

You ask who hates Dave Rose? Pretty much every single Aggie student. Mostly because he temporarily halted what is now the best basketball rivalry in the state by taking a year off and then going to a neutral site. They had played at least once a year (often twice) for at least 50 years, and Rose put an end to that streak. I still love him and think he is a great guy and great example, but that is hard to swallow. Especially because there is no contract to keep playing because BYU "has scheduling conflicts".

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Jan. 16, 2011 8:20 p.m.

This is a great article. I agree winning solves a lot of problems. But Rose is just an awesome guy. I like the point that he has the faith but doesn't wear it on his sleeve. I like Bronco too but the style is different and Rose comes across a little more mature. But we are fortunate to have some good coaches who are also LDS. Was a time when the talent pool was a lot smaller. Now if we can just continue to get most of the top LDS recruits, the sky is the limit.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 16, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Rose seems like a great guy. Maybe I will have to find some interest in b-ball this year and watch my BYU brothers play and see how far y'all go. I find b-ball mind-numbingly boring, but maybe this year with BYU looking good in the tournament I might watch a game or two. And, who knows, I might even find myself rooting for my BYU brothers!

Good luck!

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Jan. 16, 2011 10:55 p.m.

And he has a great team with lots of local players helping out. Can't wait for Emery Jr. and Haws Jr. A long long future of success.

• hoopsman Provo, Utah
    Jan. 17, 2011 6:58 a.m.

bjfcubsfan...

USU/BYU Basketball scheduling has been written about and pretty well documented in the last year.

Here is the chronology of where the games were played:
    2003 Logan
    2004 Home and home in both Logan and Provo
    2005 Logan
    2006 Provo
    2007 did not play each other
    2008 Salt Lake City
    2009 Logan

The issue has been and still is, Coach Stew's stubbornness. In 2008 Stew wanted BYU to come to Logan (of course) for the 4th time in 5 years of play, not counting 2007, when they did not play each other.

Where is the equity in that? Who's ego is getting in the way??

So BYU agreed to play in Salt Lake City in before going BACK to the Spectrum in 2009!!

Check the record. It shows that BYU has traveled to the Spectrum for 4 times in the last 6 years the teams have played...swallow that!

USU has darkened the doors of the Marriott Center just twice...

Rose and BYU are committed to playing home and home in the future...they are not the problem.

Stew's ego is...

• cynic Appleton, WI
    Jan. 17, 2011 12:38 p.m.

hedgie:
    You are so right. I'm sure Dave Rose is out there campaigning right now for a job in the awesome PAC-12, the 7th or 8th best conference in the land. Maybe he wants the job in Salt Lake, where they haven't had a winning program since Majerus left. Or maybe he wants to join you in Ann Arbor. The only time they had a decent program, they had to cheat to get it. Yeah, I'm sure those jobs are high on Coach Rose's wish list!

• AggieNation St.George, Utah
    Jan. 19, 2011 12:01 p.m.

Hoops Man,

If Stew's ego was the problem, why in the world didn't BYU schedule 2007? You conveniently ignore that year. It was only fair to have BYU play at the Spectrum since their last meeting was in Provo. You'r logic is very questionable. And SLC may as well had been the Marriott Center from what I heard from fellow Aggie fans.