Utah Utes football: Sealver Siliga to enter NFL draft

Comments

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 8:31 p.m.

Get out of town while the Utes are half-way ranked...

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 12, 2011 8:56 p.m.

I wish the he were staying, but hope he does well. Good luck Sealver.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 12, 2011 9:08 p.m.

Good luck. Here's hoping things work out gor you!

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 12, 2011 9:24 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas, as opposed to the not even close to being ranked BYU? For a team that was barely .500 you guys sure talk a lot of smack; your team got drilled by the Aggies for Petes sake. Utah's 3 losses (not 6 like BYU) were to good teams (two of the teams in the top 10). Bye bye Coogs, I really wish you would all stop commenting on Utah stories but I guess your jealous insecure nature won't allow it.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 9:42 p.m.

Re: Rock of the marne... I think you're reading something into Veritas Aequitas' comments. No where does he mention BYU. Maybe it is you who has the inferiority complex? Are you concerned that everyone is out to get you? Are you constantly looking over your shoulder to see who is sneaking up behind you? This is what happens when you enter the Pac-12 and realize that you won't be the top dog in the conference more than once every 20 years.

It is curious why two of the top seniors on the Ute team are looking for an excuse to avoid playing in the Pac-12. Do they realize it will be a mediocre season (at best)?

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 10:24 p.m.

@ Rock Of The Marne

HERE'S SOME NEWS: For being a 7-6 team BYU got a vote for the top 25. Early ranking for 2011 season is already out and BYU is ranked 13th. Not bad for a 7-6 team. Google it and see for yourself.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 10:58 p.m.

Careful coogs, we don't want to upset our TUN friends...you see they are a bit edgy of late, losing in a big way last night on their home floor, barely hanging on to beat a 6-6 cougar squad, stumbling and bumbling in their last 6 games to a 3-3 record, will simply relegate Utah's move to the PAC10 to the back page of the local sports pages, w/ the Baggies and WSU Wildcats, as mediocrity sets in for the long haul.

Next years prospects on the Ute gridiron just got uglier now that their best interior DL & DB are leaving to the NFL (that would be "Not-For-Long" for both of them).

Boy the bad news is coming out of the woodwork for the red faced boys on the hill. Sad, sad, days ahead for Ute-ville. Geez boys, start watching more successful sports programs (i.e. the TDS)...Oh the excitement ahead for Cougar sports just never ends...GO COUGARS!

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 11:02 p.m.

Re: BluCoug - there you go again, talking big in the off-season. No one cares about preseason.

@OnlyInUtah - I read many posts and Veritas Aequitas is a zoob. So Rock of the marne is justfied.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 12, 2011 11:08 p.m.

The pebble whines about Cougar fans posting in utah articles every day while alternately posting in every single BYU article. LOL

As to the subject at hand there are a few points here. Yes he is getting out at least in part to avoid the humiliation of next years terrible pac10 debut. He will also get his wish about remaining part of the "ute family" as he will undoubtedly watch every one of their home games standing on the sidelines of res since it isn't very likely he will even get drafted.

He's really in a no win situation. Stay at utah and get it handed to him all year or declare for a draft he has no chance of being picked in.

All things considered he probably made the right choice as it is going to be ugly on the hill next year.

• rogerdodger Logan, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 8:14 a.m.

Come on Utes start watching those successful programs like the 7-6 Cougs. I'm sure everyone is jealous knowing that BYU had to win their bowl game against a team equivalent to Alta High to not have a losing record.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 9:03 a.m.

I actually feel sorry for the kid. Seems he has issues still with commitment. I remember the big article about how he debated going to Utah vs BYU and how he thought and prayed about it. He got a spiritual confirmation he was supposed to go to the Y and how happy he was to go to BYU. Then less than a week later he switched to the U and didn't ever explain how his spiritual confirmation had been switched.

Now he has the same advisors telling him to go pro and step up to the next level while all the pro evaluations are telling him don't do it, the NFL may go on strike and leave him out of both, and his head coach won't comment on it.

I remember a BYU quarterback that thought he was pro material who left after his junior year and then never got a sniff from the NFL.

Don't over estimate your value Mr. Siliga. You are giving up your last year of playing football.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 9:39 a.m.

UgottaloveMaxie | 11:02 p.m. Jan. 12, 2011
    SLC, UT

===

Just curious, what makes one a "zoob".

I read many stories, and make comments on what I observe. If I think Tommy Connor would make the U a better program, am I a "zoob"?

If I think that Rock, Uteology, UtahCounty Ute, Dutchman, and Chris B are biased, use insignificant selective facts, am I a "zoob". If I question the logic they use to come to their assumptions, am I a "zoob"? If they amuse me and I push their buttons, am I a "zoob".

What makes one a "zoob". Exercising their right to observe, think, and post those thoughts?

And is the best you have to respond calling third grad names? Have I ever called anyone a name?

My comment on Siliga was that this year might be a better year to go pro, tan next year, based on the reasong that they are considered at least a top 30 team right now. Basing it on reality, no bias.

Come on, YaGottaLoveMaxie, lose the blinders.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 10:32 a.m.

BluCoug - That is great that BYU is ranked #13 now for next year. I would recommend printing up some tee-shirts about going undefeated. Maybe call it Quest for Perfection. Don't worry, if you lose a few games you can always claim that it didn't mean perfection in football but in the priorities higher than football.

BYU - Everyone's pre-season champion - when it really counts.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Good luck to Sealver, hope he does well on Sundays.

For the Utes, this will open up some more playing time for Star and Latu. This is one position that the Utes have the luxury of depth right now.

• erikcwj42 sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 10:51 a.m.

I'd love to know which website has byu ranked 13th.. espn just came out with their rankings im sure byu is nowhere near the top 25... zooby's are my favorite

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 11:18 a.m.

erikcwj42

"I'd love to know which website has byu ranked 13th"

Google: College Hotline With Jon Wilner

He's an SEC homer, though, so you can dispense with the "he's just a BYU homer" dismissals.

Folks on the hill are always so insanely jealous of any positive recognition BYU receives.

Get over it. Being in the PAC 12 isn't going to give U a free ticket to national recognition.

Finishing unranked in the final AP poll is proof of that.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Congrats Jealous U - Put the championship on the books. Print the tee-shirts. Start celebrating. Make your reservations for the BCS.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 12:29 p.m.

UU32

BYU has an infinitely better chance at the 2011 championship than NC2010 Utah.

Have you made your reservations for Pasedena yet?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Marked it Down | 12:29 p.m.

"Better hurry before it's booked solid because all we've heard from the hill since last summer is the Utes will be playing in the Rose Bowl."
    ===

I believe it was a MWC team that won the Rose Bowl this year.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 13, 2011 1:02 p.m.

"College Hotline With Jon Wilner"

Jealous U,

You do realize that if you "google" long enough you will find some yahoo projecting Central Arkansas as a preseason favorite... you do know this right?

How about we leave the "projections" on the shelf for a few months and at that point let the creditable sources take over.

Now go "google" "Jimmer number 1 pick in the NBA draft"....i'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

• Th Tooele, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 1:33 p.m.

First let me say I think Siliga is making a mistake by not coming back. This is probably why KWhitt didn't want to comment on it.

Second, I don't think he or Burton's decisions to leave was because of fear of playing in the PAC12. I do love your assumption though cougar fans.

Third as already pointed out, who in the bleep is Jon Wilner? If you google preseason college football rankings you get about 1000 different blogs which Wilners is one of. Who cares!

Go Utes.... Utah will make this jump fine. It will be more difficult for sure, but there will be plenty of benefits from the move.

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Jan. 13, 2011 1:35 p.m.

hedgehog | 1:02 p.m. Jan. 13, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    You keep JealousU in check there Hedge. The last thing we need on these message boards are posts that cite sources.

Let's keep everyone that can make an argument, and back it up, from posting.

Glad to see you took on the title of hall monitor.

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Jan. 13, 2011 1:37 p.m.

UgottaloveMaxie | 11:02 p.m. Jan. 12, 2011
    SLC, UT

I read many posts and UGottaloveMaxie is a zoob. So Rock of the marne is now un-justfied.

He also loves Max Hall.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 2:45 p.m.

michigancoog and ducky

It amazes me how insecure you both are. How many kids has Utah put in the NFL early? This is nothing new for the U, we deal with it every year.

How many kids have left early from byu? Not including Chambers and Unga.

Good Luck Sealver!

Go Utes!

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 3:40 p.m.

utahcountyute,

Insecure? What? Insecure about what? A young and extremely talented BYU team returning next fall w/ skilled players at every position? Whereas the Utes return Jordan Wynn, with no one to pass or hand-off the ball to, that has any Division 1 experience???

As for basketball, even w/ Jimmer and Jackson graduating next spring, we have 3 more quality players to replace them, with all their bigs (Davies, Hartsock, and Collinsworth and 3 more players @ 6'-10")returning...I think you get the big picture.

Utah however is the one including you and all your MUSS types that are the ones that are insecure. I for one, am just pointing to facts that lie ahead...two sporting programs heading in opposite directions: BYU to greater notoriety and success, Utah to obscurity and rejection by its' fan-base as was so clearly displayed on Tuesday night with an empty Huntsman Center. Losing seasons will become a reality/continuation, thru the rest of this year, and for years to come.

GOOD LUCK IN THE PUC12...ya'll gonna need it!

• murray19 Murray, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 4:03 p.m.

You do know that all Utah has to do is finish 1st or 2nd only to USC in their division to have a shot in the PAC12 Title Game? 1 game and the winner goes to the Rose Bowl. I remember a few years ago Utah was playing a team and no one said they has a chance(Alabama remember that one).Anytime you get a 1 game shot to make magic happen you got to be living right. FYI 9-3 in the Rose Bowl is much more attainable than the road the Cougs have for a BCS Game let alone a shot in the BCS Title Game.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 13, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Hey tds trolls,
    I've got a subject ( something the DN seems to avoid) How's your 2011 recruiting going?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Yours truely, Hedgehog

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 4:55 p.m.

michigan coog

Insecure...yup that is exactly what I see.

"barely hanging on to beat a 6-6 cougar squad"

"A young and extremely talented BYU team returning next fall w/ skilled players at every position?"

So these two teams you are referencing above are the same right? Are you trying to make one look bad and the other look amazing? hmmm

Let me just tell you that byu has 11 seniors leaving not including Chambers of course.

Utah has 12 and two more underclassmen declaring for the NFL.

This is normal turn over for a successful college football program.

No worries.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 4:59 p.m.

Hey Hedgie,

Who cares? With a boat load of talent already here, w/ 3 more years to grow better, with many returning from missions as well, what is your point? BYU is only has 15 or 16 spots available, they are getting what they need. If you checked the players coming in, they have mostly 3 starred players coming in, that won't see the field for 2-3 years or more anyway.

As for your Utes, I'd hate to play freshman right out of the gate for good reasons...see what happened to BYU in the beginning of this season...but once the season wore on, you saw the result...victories...yes, against inferior competition, with a 1 point loss to your over-rated UTES, that struggled mightily against a bunch of freshman starters on offense for BYU. That'll be Utah's lot next year, w/ NO ONE with any experience...oh, I forgot about Jordan Wynnie...but he doesn't count either, with the look of fear, and a dear-in-the-headlights look any time he was pressured...Good luck w/ your Uoots next year, I figure 5 or 6 wins max...

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 13, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Michigankewg,

"Who cares? With a boat load of talent already here, w/ 3 more years to grow better, with many returning from missions as well, what is your point?"

My point? Doesn't look like going "indy" has done the tds any favors. almost half of the tds recruits are 2 star or lower (rivals) and well... because Rivals on tracks the top 50 ( that's FIFTY) classes, BYU doesn't show up.

So your answer is "so what?" because you had a somewhat decent class last year ( still ranked lower than Utah)? I guess I understand Y you went Indy.

In three years the tds will be pounding their chest about the big comeback wins over Weber.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 13, 2011 6:02 p.m.

For the record, I've never said Utah would be in the Rose Bowl. The Y on the other hand actually printed tee shirts called "Quest for Perfection". It is an every year thing in Provo. Always talking a big game, never coming through with a BCS season.

But I admire your optimism. You believe, every year, that BYU will go undefeated. Every year they let you down. Every year you are back on the quest for perfection. That takes staying power. I admire you for that.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Jan. 15, 2011 12:30 p.m.

re: UU32 | 6:02 p.m. Jan. 13, 2011

Optimism? Thats 1 way to put the mindset of a war kitty fan.

Einstein's Definition of Insanity might be more accurate.