U.S. & World

Judge sentences Tom DeLay to 3 years in prison

Comments

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 2:38 p.m.

This is a step in the right direction. I just wish that DeLay had been made to serve all of his sentence. Three years (most likelyin Club-Fed) is just a slap on the wrist.

• sniggy Payson, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Almost like a pardon for Texas Justice.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 2:51 p.m.

He was actually a really great Member of Congess. I think this was politically motivated and I hope it is overturned.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 3:03 p.m.

rangel?

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Jan. 10, 2011 3:08 p.m.

How about Scooter Libby? Was that investigation just politically motivated. He didn't really out a CIA agent either?

Tom Delay, Scooter Libby and the like are fall guys for the Bush crime family but they get off the hook in the end. I'm sure they'll be rewarded hansomely later.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Re: "I just wish that DeLay had been made to serve all of his sentence."

He'll never serve another day. This was a Stalinesque political show trial. Nothing more.

Given the Supreme Court's widely known views regarding the right of government to limit a corporation's contribution to the political discussion, the appeal won't even make it as far as the Supreme Court.

Notwithstanding, millions in taxpayer dollars and untold hours of government employee time has been spent on this naked political retribution.

Delay is a politician, so it goes without saying that a close examination of his dealings would reveal unsavory transactions. But prosecuting him for a transaction of the type that is a common feature on the US political landscape only reveals the depth of hypocrisy that reigns in Washington.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 10, 2011 3:24 p.m.

procuradorfiscal - oh well, if it is all over the place and common....well by all means lets just turn a blind eye to these activities. In fact, we should do that with all kinds of crimes, in all places...

Truth - What about Rengle? What in the heck was that supposed to mean? Ok, I will play, Oliver North...... your turn.....

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Russian oil executives contributions, 1998
    House Ethics reprimand for K Street scandal, 1999
    Misuse of federal investigative agencies, 2003
    Jack Abramoff scandal, 2000 - present

I guess these were all just "politcally motivated" scandals as well?

As my grandpa used to say "where there's smoke there's fire."

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 10, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Republican crooks go to jail while Democrat crooks get advanced: Hillary (cattlegate, whitewater missing documents) Clinton, Ted (car in river) Kennedy, Wm (cold cash) Jefferson, Bill (never had sex with an intern) Clinton,and Barney (prostitution ring) Frank, just to name a few.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 5:53 p.m.

@Mounta(i)nman

Did you forget Nixon - full pardon
    Spiro Agnew - never served a day in jail
    Scooter Libbey - clemency
    Karl Rove - never served a day for mail fraud

shall I go on?

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 7:28 p.m.

Re: "Karl Rove - never served a day for mail fraud."

Seems somehow appropriate, since he's never been accused or convicted of mail fraud.

Only liberals, like Obama "Justice" Department appointees and CHS 85, would be upset that innocent political opponents are not in jail.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2011 8:19 p.m.

@procuradorfiscal

I stand corrected on Karl Rove. I mis-read an article.

You guys really need to relax. There's plenty of corruption on both sides and BTW, I think Karl Rove is a political hack, but that's not a crime. It has made him a very, very rich man.