Utah Jazz: Hawks swoop down and embarrass Jazz

Comments

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    Jan. 5, 2011 9:35 p.m.

3 point shooting & boards - massive disappointment tonight - trade for a better 2/3 and trade a big man 4/5 for what currently have. The only players not to trade DWill & Millsap - everyone else lets see what we can do to improve the team

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Jan. 5, 2011 9:39 p.m.

A despicable performance by the Jazz. Although Sloan has made strides this year with adjustments, lineup changes and rotations, his biggest bugaboos always occur.

Not guarding the 3 point line. Scott Layden talks a good game saying how the Jazz have to recognize the 3 point shooters yet the players do not. Nor do I think SLoan addresses it.

I understand Millsap was out. However, real good teams pitch in. They have but not tonight.

If the Jazz ever scout and watch game tape, such as last night, that I watch the team we play next, they get paid to do such things.

Anyone with intelligence would have known Johnson and Crawford have been hot and filling it up. So the Jazz give all kinds of cushion and leave corners unguarded. Only Gordon and Kirilenko tonight showed an effort to play D. Kirilenko was the lone bright spot, he played well shooting and defense.

I have said for people that understand the stat a PLus 10 for the season means you had a good season, That is Road wins-Home Losses. Now it is only Plus 4.

It does not get easier the next 2 games with 3 point threats.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Jan. 5, 2011 9:42 p.m.

The Jazz are not going to win a title or even come close unless they scout teams in the East that might be willing to deal a longer, athletic big. Evans is not ready this year to be that guy. He has to become more diversified in his game.

Elson did nothing tonight. You need a #2 averaging 15 ppg and we do not have that. CJ Miles, as expected went back to garbage tonight

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Does anyone else think that the Jazz need to shake things up somewhere? Flat starts, no tempo, ugly games. The Jazz get whooped on there home floor, that just can not happen. Nobody fouling hard, setting picks, making statements. NO GRIT! Tired of watching this team get out hustled. This game was a joke! AK actually played okay in the loss, for once he was a bright spot in a terrible team effort. I was in my seat booing the product I paid good money to watch. I think we need a trade to shake things up. We need a shooter or two.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:07 p.m.

Kevin O Connor was as creative as he will ever get this offseason. He will not pull any deals and I will bet the farm if I had one on it. Sloan is never going to be in my mind close to Jackson, Holtzman, Riley or many others level. He is a good not great coach. The fact is he will never defend the corner, Scott Layden talks about it, but I wonder if SLoan listens or ignores his advice.

A long athletic wing is needed and either that or a #3 about 6'7 to 6'9 long, will D up hard and score 15 points per game. In the past John Salmons was a type that would have helped in that area. I admit they are hard to find. However, this team is an enigma. They play well on road against good sides but gets offset by losing to these teams on the road. The Jazz have not even gone to San Antonio or the Lakers yet, or Boston or New York or Chicago.

After 36 games I still do not know the pulse or direction of a very talented team.

• carpediem Holladay, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:20 p.m.

There needs to be a new word in the dictionary called "Jazzsistency." It would mean inconsistent but relate to any sports team that's not playing to their full potential night in and night out.

• Lone Peak High School Fan Alpine, Utah
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:28 p.m.

The Jazz need to wake up. they dont even look like they are enjoying playing. Its sad. And they need to learn that you can all of the sudden come back in the fourth. they have been lucky. But you cant get in those situations in the first place. They are not communicating or playing like a team. I dont know how we beat the Lakers or the Heat. They need to make some serious changes. I dont care what it is just do it and play like a team. No Defense in that game. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!! Millsap was hurt but that should motivate them to play better as a TEAM. come on jazz im getting sick of this selfish playing. Ur starting to lose ur fans. Meet as a team and work HARD.

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:35 p.m.

Sit on this game for a while and you will have a chicken because the Jazz laid an egg. They seem to be doing that a lot right now. It is almost as if the intensity level from the first 15 or 20 games is gone. These horrible starts are now, IMHO, the sign of a team unlikely to be anything more than a first-round playoff exit.

Will fans get on Millsap for sitting out? They would have jumped on Boozer.

• Ak Fan Hamburg, GE
    Jan. 5, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Al is too soft to be bigman cannot properly post up. Without Millsap it was hard for AK. He cannot guard opposing 5 players same time. Zone defense against hot shooters isn't smart idea.
    And the end Deron runs this team he should be accountable. When AK was hot never feed him and Sloan taking him out.

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 4:05 a.m.

Pretty good story about a game I didn't want to know the ugly details of. Kudos.

• John Wicks Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 5:37 a.m.

What a waste of money for my tickets. Time for Watson to start and move D-Will to 2. Trade Memo and CJ and get someone who wants to and can play. This team has no heart and soul and badly needs a trade to shake things up. I for one am very disgusted with this present team.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 7:41 a.m.

This same group set the league on its ear earlier. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. No doubt they have been playing without big effort as a team. Perhaps some therapy?

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 7:51 a.m.

That game was a perfect storm of bad events.

I'm concerned about the slow starts, inconsistent play, and Jerry's reluctance to change things up.

The team needs player and rotation changes. Looking back at history we know that nothing will really happen.

There will be no league or conference title anytime soon. The Jazz just won't make the necessary moves. DWill will be gone in two years and then it's back to square one.

The wheel is wobbling . . .

• cdb salt lake, utah
    Jan. 6, 2011 8:29 a.m.

Jazz only have one 100% percent mentally tough player . Championship teams have atleast 2 and sometimes 3. Jazz have 2 75% players and the rest are 50%ers or less. That means they are going to be a very inconsistent team all year. What we see is what we get. There are 2 other players that are 90%ers and when they come in it has been a huge spark. But they play in the shadow of d-will so it is hard to keep them on the floor. Maybe we should go to mambe-pambe land and see if we can get some self confidence for some of these jack-wagons. Jazz are a good team but far from being a great team on the mental side of things. I still enjoy watching and will all year long.

• jazzfanzz Farmington, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 8:32 a.m.

Went to the game last night. Yes, the Jazz played terribly, but Atlanta was just hot. I mean they just couldn't miss! You have to give them credit for doing a great job.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Jan. 6, 2011 8:52 a.m.

Add a Kobe,D-Wade even a Paul Pierce to this team,then we could at least contend for a title,I know it`s not gonna happen,but that`s how far we are away...

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 8:57 a.m.

ATL was hot? NO, they had wide open looks all night long, the Jazz rotation was terrible, perimeter defense is terrible, and the Jazz dont have a shooter outside of D-Will and our bigs are soft as Charmin. Our big guys need to foul hard, set hard picks and dunk on some heads to get the tempo going. MAKE A STATEMENT! No energy, focus, passion, hustle, grit, or fight in that team last night. I am worried about this team, mostly because we are so close yet so far. Being a Jazz fan has been hard come playoff time, I for one would like to see this team make a real run at a title. In order for that to happen, I think this team needs a wake up call or a shake up call.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Watching the game last night, the thing that stood out the most from the Jazz was the selfish play. Starting with Deron Williams on down through most of the team. Guys were taking it to the hole them selves missing layups leaving team mates wide open on the wings. This was a very ugly selfish played game from start to finish.

Are we ready to shake up the slow starting, starting lineup yet?

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Jan. 6, 2011 9:11 a.m.

what exactly is a non-wrapping long line,?

• full disclosure Providence, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 9:17 a.m.

One of the problems you have is they are not getting enough production from Al Jefferson, even though there have been games were he has gone for 20+. I don't think he understands the offense and he is always trying to take the ball from the left (never from the right) side and settle fo a jump hook. I worry about his toughness and that he doesn't understand how to run the high screen-roll.
    Without Millsap in the middle it was hard for them to open up anything inside.
    Last night the Hawks were simply on fire and couldn't miss.
    I also think, and when they brought him back i appauled the move, that Raja Bell looks like he isn't much of his former self. I like Raja but maybe time for a change at the 2 and bring Raja off the bench.
    Bottom line the Jazz look discombobluated and those games they stole on the road earlier in the season, won't be happening so much the rest of the season. they better get there act together.

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    Jan. 6, 2011 9:33 a.m.

I'll second the selfish play comment. Does anyone else remember when we had an open 2 on 1 fast-brake with CJ with the ball and Hayward running the floor. CJ kept the ball and missed a poor shot, when one simple pass would have been a breakaway dunk for Hayward. Even the announcers called out CJ on it.

The other thing I noticed is the horrible defense, starting with DWill. Playing zone he constantly allowed his man to split the guards at the top of the key. Would rarely cover the open 3. The same can be said for almost every player with the exception of maybe AK, Hayward, Fes and Evans.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Jan. 6, 2011 9:47 a.m.

Those coaches mentioned with all the rings...look at the players they had.We`ve got Williams,then a step down to Millsap,Jefferson,another step down to AK and Memo,then a big step down to the rest

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 9:58 a.m.

It is getting harder and harder for me to watch the Jazz play. Turned it to a much better BYU game after the first half of the Jazz game. These guys make millions, yet they have a hard time getting motivated half the time. At least when a college player or team struggles you can say it is only a scholarship and you can even eliminate players if needed. In all professional sports you have to suffer through and pay at least part of the contract before you can get rid of a player. Pro ball would be much better if players would get paid based on performance rather than potential.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 10:37 a.m.

Best thing I ever did. take my wife's suggestion to watch the ballet and turn off my big screen before half time. Wow, what a terrible performance by men who are millionaires and on the take from the fans.
    This includes the owners and coaches too. I could see this coming earlier in the year. Where do we go from here....try rebuilding again and scrap the season? We had false hopes.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Jan. 6, 2011 11:13 a.m.

If I were CJ I wouldn't throw the ball to Hayward either!!

It was pretty simple last night. Hawks were HOT, Jazz NOT............

Jerry is the one who allowed the slow start by starting a non-scorer in Elson. Stupid move by him. It's time to start CJ and get some life in the 1st quarter.

• jazzer South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 11:13 a.m.

1 of 2 options need to happen or else we will be seeing D-will leaving Utah.

1) either need to change the starting line-up and get better starts. There is no reason in the world that we should blow out teams that have half as many wins as we do. We are giving bad teams a chance to beat us.

2) We need to make a blockbuster trade and get some real help to make us a deep playoff team. I wouldnt mind seeing a trade but we all know that KOC is gonna keep with his BOYS.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Jan. 6, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Houdini, the Jazz sum should be be better than most teams individual parts. I hear what you are saying a Superstar who takes a team on his back. DWIL does it some nights, not every night. I am becoming CJ'd OUT. I have said for weeks Raja should be coming in off the bench. I watched Lakers in past, and saw Mo Evans hit shots from corner. My point is the Jazz are slow to react to things. The fact is even in man to man, DWIL will play way off his guy, the Jazz do not get into ones faces defensively. The reason some nights they get away from not guarding perimeter is because some players and some teams are not as good simple.

Against good teams, with good shooters, the weakness gets exploited.

Memphis handled OK City, good young team who would be a playoff team in East and Houston with all the 3 point weapons are likely to hurt us badly this weekend.

• klepsydra Longmont, CO
    Jan. 6, 2011 11:46 a.m.

CJ needs to go, he is a cancer on this team.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Jan. 6, 2011 12:09 p.m.

You make some good points Todd.Bottom line,we are a second tier team.In the west the championship goes through LA,Dallas and SA.As good as Williams is,I still think Stockton was the best

• I Will Be Till I Die Holladay, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 1:49 p.m.

I had the misfortune to attend this game last night. Best things about it: hanging out with my daughter, sharing some (wildly overpriced) Russell's ice cream, and seeing Hayward and Evans make some nasty blocks.

I agree with what someone early on page 1 said - the Jazz philosophy about guarding the 3-pt line needs to change. Sloan would rather play the %s and double down in the post, but when a team gets hot like ATL was last night, he needs to be smart enough to say OK guys, tonight we match up inside and out, and don't give their shooters wide open looks. I mean, ATL shot 10 points higher % from 3 than from 2 for Pete's sake! Be flexible Jerry!!

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Rip Hamilton for AK, anyone?
    I know AK didn't do too bad, but if you look at the starting lineup, there's really no consistent perimeter shooter. Jazz need someone who can come off that curl and make that shot every time.
    AK's awful at offense....inconsistent is the problem followed by an ugly stroke.
    Rip would be amazing on this team.....even Ben Gordon would do...

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 3:12 p.m.

I keep saying to you message boarders that the Jazz is simply entertainment nothing else. Why even discuss the players this and that....it is fruitless. As I've said before, when an honest, objective analysis is made of all the rosters you then should be able to come to a conclusion that the Jazz simply do not stack up talent-wise with any team above them in the standings, as well as some teams below them for that matter. Why worry about it. Just be kind and tone down the rhetoric...be "civil" as our leaders are suggesting and things will work out. Right! There are enough excuses to go around with management and players without constantly pinpointing and finger pointing. I still can't go with ballet as Elcapitan has suggested....sorry, that is just unacceptable for me. There are just too many franchises in the NBA/NFL ( as in a subfive hundred miserable Seattle Seahawk (SeaSkunks) outfit making the playoffs....give me a break) and all the other professional sports leagues across the country....too many games being played in these leagues....too much money being paid to people affiliated with these leagues...etc., etc.,
    Love.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 4:06 p.m.

someone said they had wide open 3's yes they did we have wide open 3's to. The difference is they make their's we miss ours. I can't understand why so many teams have all theses three point shooters and we have none.

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 4:14 p.m.

This team is extremely talented as is. Their problems are all mental, focus-associated. They still have a pretty good record, but they'd better fix their issues or they won't after much longer. This is the year they can get past the Lakers if they can just get their brains together.

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    Jan. 6, 2011 4:19 p.m.

I'm glad I tuned out to that game and found a real game to watch- utah @ AFA. (j/k) sorry utes.

The BYU @ unlv game was exciting, had athletes on both sides hustling like crazy and actually acting like they wanted to be there.

I love watching the JAZZ overall, but this is exactly why I'd rather watch college sports over these over-paid cry-babies any day.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 4:35 p.m.

Sloan should have played only AK from the starters and the second team. D-Will forgot what an assist was.

• carabaoU Moab, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 4:37 p.m.

Junior jazz games are a lot more entertaining than so-called "professional" Jazz games. I'm glad I'm not wasting my time and money watching that garbage this year. At least junior jazz is always free.

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 4:38 p.m.

They all need to stop wearing those weird colored mouth guards too. At least keep them in their mouths. Love them all, but I think they're spending all their energy chewing on those things and they don't have enough left in the tank for basketball. All that chewing and tension in the jaw...could that be making the rest of their bodies tense? At this point ANY answer is an answer.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Jan. 6, 2011 5:35 p.m.

CJ Miles should be traded along with Memo and AK...Al Jefferson should come of the Bench Behind Millsap...or get millsap of the bench...he is way effective as a 6th man...since he will be guarding and be guarded by bench players...millsap has first string talent with a second string body...Al Jefferson should work on getting more Physical and just man-handle his way to the rim...if Kendrick Perkins was not injured i'd grab him...CJ Miles...the 5 Yr inconsistent wreck...should be traded...his style of play wont proper in the Jazz system...trade him and a TPE for Brandon Rush and Tyler Hansbrough...then Trade AK for Trevor Ariza or Shane Battier or Tony Allen + Xavier Henry + a pick...Trade memo for Brad Miller...at least Brad Miller is meaner than Memo...let Fesenko start for 5 games and see what happens...if we dont make trades...then let Fes and CJ start the next 5 games for evaluation of their talent...because you dont want another 5 years to bring out the supposed upside of a former HS player...yep its you CJ Miles...

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Every team other than the 96 Bulls has at least 4-5 horrible losses like this per season. That said, unless Al really picks it up, we're going nowhere in the playoffs. Good health would help too, and at least Sloan is trying to find a mix.

For a trade to shake things up, how about AK & Raja for Rip & Tayshaun? ESPN Trade Machine says it's +6 wins for the Jazz, and would save them about 5.5 mil this year. Detroit has to start rebuilding and this clears most of their books and they're not going to be getting any great offers for those two relics from the glory days.

I've hated this trade before as Rip has two more years left on his contract, but he's having a better season and is 1.5 years younger than Raja so I've come around. We have to get more dynamic on offense without losing too much on D, and those two would be ecstatic to be back on a winner.

I don't think Philly will trade Iguodala now, and there's no other deal out there I can think of.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    Jan. 7, 2011 8:46 a.m.

I don't understand why D-Will never gets any flack on here. He missed ten shots ant had 5 turnovers. In the previuos game, he made three dumb mistakes in the last five minutes. He plays no defense, he dribbles too much, and he walks the ball up the court. Superstar? I just don't see it. Meanwhile, everyone rags on CJ and AK, endlessly.

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Jan. 7, 2011 10:42 a.m.

I see what you mean Ed. DWill is my favorite but he hasn't been as good the last several games. A little out of sorts maybe. He DOES need to push the ball. But I do have confidence that he and the team will get this figured out soon.