Utah Utes football: Team won 10 games for 6th time, but season marred by poor finish

Comments

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Jan. 5, 2011 2:45 a.m.

That's okay guys, I'm still immensely proud of my Utes. The past eight years have been an incredible ride!

Two BCS Bowls.
    Good to great teams almost every year.
    And now PAC-12 membership!

How many programs would sell their souls to have accomplished the same thing?

As Bill Marcroft (the former Ute sports announcer) put it so well many years ago ...

"These are indeed halcyon days for the University of Utah."

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:00 a.m.

The Utes are facing some serious rebuilding in the skill positions next season especially at QB and RB. Nobody knows for sure how well Wynn will recover from his surgery and even so, is Jordan sturdy enough to last a full season at QB in the PAC 12?

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:06 a.m.

It's tough for me to imagine anyone being all that down after a season that included ten wins, but that's how things have become in Ute land. Success breeds huge expectations. Still--double digit wins, losing to 3 good teams (please don't try to tell me that Notre Dame was not a good team this season) and the glorious memory of on Brandon Burton---flying in from the side and bringing an entire Cougar nation to it's knees with (wait for it please) THE BLOCK??!!! Sigh-----And so now, we move to the mighty Conference of Champions. An upgrade that we deserve and which represents the high esteem which the University and the athletic program of the U has earned. No, I'm not feeling very MARRED right now. I'm sort of feeling like a resident of football nirvana. Go Utes!

• Pawps Sandy, Utah
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:13 a.m.

Geeezzz, I am from the predominate religion here and a true Ute fan, I have a difficult time reading DN you're so pro BYU and Anti Utah. There is no way Im going to read the other local rag, its the opposite in bias views and spews hatred. DN, cant you guys give us Ute fans a break? We are not sinners! We love our school as do the BYU fans. Write positive articles, A 10 win record is a great season, to go into the PAC 12 is going to be great for Utah.
    Stop showing your jealousys and write like professionals.

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:55 a.m.

C'mon, Dirk -- give ute fans SOMETHING on which to build hope for next season! Rough finish, bad current trajectory, injured QB with many ??? and missing spring ball, loss of many key skill players and d-backs, poor special teams play, and a daunting season ahead. Well, to be be fair, you DID mention that the utes have a pretty good kicker returing next year....

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 8:57 a.m.

Dirk is a Ute homer, so if he's predicting storm clouds on the horizon, believe him.

Utah was very mediocre in the last half of the season. I mean come on, the Utes were lucky to beat a very mediocre 7-6 BYU team, AT HOME, by ONE POINT!

And now they're faced with replacing most of their skill players and possibly having to develop a new starting QB.

Utah's basketball team hasn't shown a pulse in years.

Is Dirk supposed to sugarcoat that just to make us feel good about a season that started 8-0, but finished with three humiliating losses?

A 10-win season is great, but falling from a #5 ranking and possible NC consideration, to barely ranked or not ranked at all, is a huge disappointment.

To put it bluntly, the Utes won't carry any momentum into the PAC 12 in either football or basketball.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Jan. 5, 2011 9:14 a.m.

this 10 win season will look a lot better in 5 years when everyone has forgotten the lucky wins, lucky calls, and the collapse at seasons end. The Utes may just be lucky. Even in 2008 with missed field goals by TCU and a 3 point win over NM, they pulled out a big win over Alabama. Only time will tell.

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    Jan. 5, 2011 9:22 a.m.

Coach Whit said, "We didn't get a league championship, which has been our first and foremost goal." Based on that criteria, they only achieved their foremost goal once in the past six years. And that was in the lowly MWC. Wow, how you gonna top that moving forward?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 9:28 a.m.

I have total confidence in Coach Whit!

He knows what needs to get done and get ready for next season. He's proven to be one of the best coaches in college football. With Stanford on the downhill with Luck and Harbaugh leaving, we'll enter the Pac 12 as the second best team in the conference.

No reason we won't have as good of a shot at the conference title as anyone, especially since we avoid Oregon and Stanford in regular season play.

Those losses were bad this year - but again I think Whit will make the necessary adjustments in the offseason.

Can't wait for next season already!

• PerfectCougar Payson, UTAH
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:06 a.m.

I think it is great that Utah is going to the Pac-12 and has a chance to compete in the BCS and their cooked books. Utah has earned that respect. As a BYU fan, I hope to see the Utes bounce back quickly in basketball as well. The Pac-10 is down now in basketball, which is fortunate. The rebound of Utah in basketball will coincide with the rebound of that conference. I will not be rooting for anyone in the Pac-12 to beat any team from Utah.

Utah football will draw the recruits it needs to fill any holes that develop from injuries or graduation. The traditional difference between the stronger conferences is depth, especially at the top level skill positions. Utah will do fine and I look forward to a great first year's experience in the pac-12. The conference championships will come. So will the return to the BCS.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:25 a.m.

One GREAT THING they accomplished was this, they are now in the Pac-12 where they will be a mid level team at best and have the goal of aiming themselves to getting to the "Vegas Bowl" every year with a 6-6 or 7-5 record! That will be the goal for the next few years.

• blauch Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:40 a.m.

Both BYU and Utah got plastered by TCU. Utah beat BYU by a 1 point and had the better record. It is clear that Utah was the better team last year. But I think BYU Football program is in better shape.

Both had very good recruiting classes. But BYU was able to play a lot of freshmen, while Utah ridiculously thought that they would be playing in the Rose Bowl or a National Championship most of the year and really played a senior offense with a more balanced defense.

Player Utah Lost:
    Asiata, Wide, Smithson, Brooks, Schlouderaff, Taylor, Burton, Cox, Chapman, Manis, Taplin-Ross, Phillips,

Utah Freshmen that played significant minutes
    Blechen, Fitzgerald, Taumoelau

Players BYU lost:
    Rich, Burton, Bradley, Ashworth, Speredon

Freshman that played significant minutes
    Heaps, Hoffman, Quezada, Van Noy, (4 tight ends) Reynolds, Stout

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Kyle has to get control over his program, based on what I saw towards the end of the season and the attitude of the players. They were more concerned with talking trash to the opposition before the games started rather than just coming out and playing with confidence. Maybe that is what inferior teams do to bluster it up to better teams but my Utes are better than that. If Kyle doesn't get that attitude back under control the Utes could be in for a LONG 2011. Oh, btw...season ticket holder and true Ute!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:49 a.m.

CougarKeith,

Rose Bowl within 3 years, national championship within 5

You?

San Francisco Bowl? Fantastic

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 11:01 a.m.

"Rose Bowl within 3 years, national championship within 5"

Maybe for USC.

But, for Utah, not a chance.

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Almost every Ute fan has four goals for the team each year: Go undefeated and play in a BCS bowl; win the bowl game; win the conference; beat BYU.

These are the real fanatics, of course, not the realists.

Only a gnat's eyelash allowed the Utes to reach just one of the four goals that define their fantasy program.

Since the inception of the MWC, Utah has had a better

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Jan. 5, 2011 11:07 a.m.

CougarKeith: so, you say, with a little effort in a better conference, the Utes,in a bad year will equal the record now of the cougars?

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 11:14 a.m.

I stopped in mid-sentence. My apologies.

Since the inception of the MWC, Utah has been terrific. Tremendous bowl winning streak, five ten-win seasons, 3 conference championships, and one tie for the championship.

During the same period, which includes the Crowton years, BYU has played better in bowl games (not as well as the Utes), had 5 ten-win seasons, won three conference championships, and tied for another.

Neither team played for a national championship.

But both programs, Utah 3A and BYU 3B, are looking up at the 2 dominant non-AQ schools of the same time period: TCU and BSU.

The excitement lies in the fact that both teams show great signs of improving in the next few years.

But my sad prediction is that neither team will play in a BCS bowl between now and 2015.

By 2015, Kyle Whittingham, rated the fourth most important coach in the country by ESPN, will be the head coach at USC.

At the same time, Bronco Mendenhall, the 20th most influential coach in the country, will be retired.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 11:39 a.m.

10 wins in a mid major conference is great on a local level but hardly noteworthy from a national perspective. 10 wins in the PAC would be worthy of some recognition. Time will tell.

Those predicting that the Utes will dominate in the PAC are the same fans predicting that the Utes would dominate TCU and BSU. They can use a little reality check.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 11:43 a.m.

I sense a feeling of uncertainty within my group of Ute friends(some attneded both the TCU and BSU games)and the media. I sense a feeling of optimism within my group of BYU friends. I doubt if honest Ute fans have ever felt worse about a 10 win season. I doubt if BYU fans have ever felt better about the future after barely having a winning season. Utah really fell off with alot of seniors. BYU finished stoong with a very young team. I would love to see the Utes be successful in the PAC and win a Rose bowl in the next few years but they will have to get much better play from their QB and they will need some players in skill positions to really step up this fall. I predict a re-building type year for the Utes with 6-8 wins. I also predict BYU will end up with at least 10 wins and a top 25 ranking.

• JCH San Diego, CA
    Jan. 5, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Did anyone watch the O-line the last five games? Anyone? And next year, there's no Schlauderaff, Taylor, and Watts?

Maybe that'll be the ol' addition-by-subtraction, but I'm not at all sanguine about our ability to keep Trojans and Bruins and Ducks from smothering whichever short, scrawny, limp-armed, slow-footed QB we put behind center, however deep in the shotgun.

Another thing: what happened to the *quick*-hitting spread? Johnson-to-Casteel, Johnson-to-Godfrey, Johnson-to-Reed, boom boom boom. Now we're the only team in the country running this offense with plays that take longer to develop than traditional, under-center sets.

Good god, the last two months of Ute sports have been torture.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 5, 2011 12:07 p.m.

@Chris B 10:49:

I wrote that one down.

But, you're kidding, right?? Or are you hoping that no one will remember in 3 or 5 years?

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    Jan. 5, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Bygone: "Halcyon days for the University of Utah."

Upcoming: Cyanide days for the University of Utah.

• Friendly Smiles Big City, Utah
    Jan. 5, 2011 12:44 p.m.

In reading these comments I found a lot of "sugar coating." Why try to make sweet an obvious sour season? (and that is putting it gently). I am (was) a UTE fan, even went to school there, how embarrassing to let people, friends, and family know that. I was disgraced and ridiculed for wearing my UTE shirt on game-day against BSU. I do believe the game would of been a blowout against us if Wynn would have played, at least we got
    "3" lucky and lousy points--> BIG DEAL

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 12:46 p.m.

"Marred" by finish or "Revealed" by finish?

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 12:49 p.m.

My dad can beat up your dad. My dog is bigger than your dog......on and on.....ad nauseum.....Please boys, give it a rest.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 5, 2011 12:58 p.m.

Any 10 win season is a good season. The losses were bad, especially given the lopsided nature. Utah will be fine. We have a great staff and continually improving talent. Every team has holes to fill, that's the nature of college football. The keys are Wynn's health and finding an identity on offense. If those two things break Utah's way, I expect them to be just fine, if not, I expect Utah to be inconsistent next year.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 1:00 p.m.

The 8-0 portion of the season was nothing to brag about either.

I think the Utes were really no better in the 8-0 stretch than they were the rest of the way.

I really like Kyle Wittingham, but he's obviously trying to put a silver lining on a cloudy, below-par season.

In my opinion, Utah was arguably the poorest 10-win team in the country.

That said, Coach Kyle has a very tough road ahead and, as a Utah alumus, I say good luck. I wish you well.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 1:13 p.m.

Ute success has always been built on the foundation of:

#1- A solid offensive line.
    #2- An intelligent and somewhat mobile QB.
    #3- A solid front four on defense who can stop the run and pressure the passer.
    #4- Fast CBs who can cover man-to-man with ball-hawking safeties behind them.
    #5- Reliable WRs who can convert 3rd downs, block well, and make the occasional home-run play.
    #6- Leadership at the RB position.
    #7- LBs who know how to tackle and tackle well.
    #8- Mistake-free special teams that makes big plays in key moments.

Our solid offensive and defensive lines, decent secondary, decent WRs, great RBs, and good LBs gave us 10 wins this year. Special teams made big plays but also gave up a lot.

Looking forward, our lines will continue to excel and that alone should get us to 6-6.

But, to get to 10 wins next year:
    #1- Wynn needs to learn to run.
    #2- We need a ball-hawk at safety.
    #3- More consistent WR play.
    #4- Hard running and leadership at RB.

The other pieces are in place to get the Utes to double-digit wins next year.

• lordandrew1 Provo, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 1:52 p.m.

I'm interested to see how the Ute D handles their situation at corner--their scheme seems to work only when they have at least one corner who can shut down ANYONE'S #1 receiver (like Burton did).

With most of their better corners gone, what will happen when Utah plays against Barkley, Foles, etc in the PAC-12 next year?

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Jan. 5, 2011 1:52 p.m.

@TJ
    "I doubt if honest Ute fans have ever felt worse about a 10 win season."

This 10 win season feels probably like how BYU fans felt when they went 12-0 in 2001 then got a reality check by a 9-4 Hawaii and #23 Louisville. But unlike that team this Ute team...

A) Didn't struggle against cupcakes
    B) Was above .500 vs teams with a winning record

So even if Utah goes 5-7 like BYU did in 2002, I can still say it wasn't with a mid-major schedule.

Utah will struggle next year, they have too many issues on offense, starting with the OC. You can't average 11 points per game against tougher teams and expect to win in PAC-12.

And as always, wait for it...

Go UTES!!!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Jan. 5, 2011 2:22 p.m.

Its hard to get all the depressed about Utah Football. Its really been a great body of work for both Kyle and Urban.

We've got a greater challenge now, but I think this is the coach to meet them and I believe the fans will be supportive as Utah rises to a higher level of competition.

Go Utah!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 2:35 p.m.

Boise State should have been invited to the Pac 12. With the exception of women's gymnastics, they are superior in every sport.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 3:01 p.m.

Ouch, truth is evidently painful.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 3:32 p.m.

@TJ "I doubt if honest Ute fans have ever felt worse about a 10 win season."

@Uteology "If we were playing your schedule next year then NO but playing in the 2nd best conference in the nation (according to Sagarin) then YES."

You're using another strawman Uteology.

Next year's schedules have absolutely NOTHING to do with how honest Ute fans feel about this year's 10-win season.

If 2010 isn't the answer, then which 10-win season do Ute fans feel worse about and why?

Pretty simple to determine, since the Utes haven't had that many 10-win seasons.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 3:58 p.m.

@ TJ and SwoopWannaBe, What a ridiculous choice of verbage. "...ever felt worse about a 10 win season" That's kind of like asking which of my Mercedes Benz sedans do I absolutely hate the worst. Huh? Sure this season took a disappointing turn. But you negative-Nelly spin doctors should stick to worrying about your own team that can't handle the wounded aggies.

Just remember, LAST YEAR was your year. You had the Senior record setting QB, the phenomonal RB, and TE. But did you go to the BCS? No you sent TCU to represent the MWC. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• I Will Be Till I Die Holladay, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 4:06 p.m.

I'm confident Utah will fill their holes at LB and DB - if we all hearken back to 2 years ago, we were saying the same thing - how are we ever going to replace this defense? And all Whit & Co did was come back in 09 and win 9 games.

What concerns me more than the D are things like the play calling and whether we can get someone to put kickoffs into the endzone on a regular basis. Phillips was great for FG's, but giving up 10 yards field position on every kickoff is not a smart way to win the field position battle.

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 4:56 p.m.

Well I am not surprised to see that yet another article has been turned into a debate over who is more relevant or who has seen more success, or who has a brighter future. Both teams have had moments of greatness, and both teams have had down moments. The debate is pointless.

The best (and worst) thing about the future is that its a mystery, it hasn't happened yet, it is completely unpredictable. Past success really means nothing.

Both schools have a completely fresh start!

Utah is heading onto bigger and better things as a member of the PAC.

BYU is heading onto bigger and better things as an Independent.

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Continued

I know many many Ute fans or Y haters like to downplay the significance of BYU going Independent. But what better route could there be for BYU? A school with a national and international fanbase.

BYU is one of 4 schools in the country that could pull off going independent and doing well. Plus, BYU keeps all revenue and will air games on its own TV Network. Give credit where credit is due. This is a huge step.

Also, there are many Y fans that enjoy talking down Utah's very significant jump to a more prestigious conference. Utah deserves a lot of credit for being able to offer what these BCS conferences are looking for. Utah will make more money, and have better competition week in and week out. I think Utah will do about as well as they did in the MWC. KWhit is very consistent and is a proven force as a coach.

So what say we give these BYU < Utah rants and vice versa a rest. There is no point in predicting future outcomes. Lets just enjoy the ride! Heres to hoping both teams are successful.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Jan. 5, 2011 5:11 p.m.

@Swoop

The question was answered, read the post again.

Let me try again:

Honestly a 10-3 season is disappointing because we had higher expectations.

However, I don't feel as bad as BYU fans did in 2001 when they started 12-0, threatened to sue the BCS, only to be humbled by a 9-4 Hawaii and then #23 Louisville.

• UU702 Layton, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Heading in to the PAC 12 thinking everything is good to go would have been nice but would not have been a good recipe for success. Any season can be picked apart in any number of ways including this one but given a three year span at 33-6 and four year span at 42-10 for 10.5 (W) and 2.5 (L) average shows 10-3 to be right in line with recent history. Those predicting an apocolypse are true ankle biters watching the big time move in next door.

The Utes did not compete in 3 games against teams that will be very highly regarded in year end polls. Those left in the program now clearly know where the bar is for attaining an elite season.
    UTAH will be a solid AQ program that will be a tough win for anybody next year and the foreseeable future.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 5:15 p.m.

how about an update on recruiting. Tell us who is going to come and who is not

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 5, 2011 5:34 p.m.

Swoop " since the Utes haven't had that many 10-win seasons." Maybe not as many 10 win seasons as BYU (who got a bunch of those in the horrible WAC) but far more undefeated seasons than BYU; which do you think almost anybody connected to football views as more of an accomplishment?

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Jan. 5, 2011 5:41 p.m.

--JEFFE--

Well stated.

• Mt Rushmore Arlington, VA
    Jan. 5, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Uteology

How do you know how BYU fans felt about 2001?

BYU lost at Hawaii and in their bowl primarily because their Doak Walker Award winning running back suffered a season-ending knee injury at Mississippi State. That, and BYU had to travel more than 6,000 miles across 6 times zones between Mississippi State and Hawaii.

What was Utah's excuse for suffereing three humiliating losses in their last 5 games?

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 6:38 p.m.

Some perspective:

Utah has lost 6 games in 3 years with an undefeated season and #2 AP ranking to end 2008-2009. All of the losses are to bowl teams and 5 out of the 6 teams finished the year in the top 15.

In all of the following games, with the exception of ND this year, Utah was the lower ranked team going into the game;

@Oregon 2009 (Played in Rose Bowl and now in NC Game)
    @TCU 2009 (Lost to Boise in Fiesta Bowl)
    @BYU 2009 (Close loss to a good team in 2009, FR QB on the road against a Sr QB)
    @ND 2010 (Bad loss, but ND finished with a decent season and win over Miami in Bowl Game)
    TCU 2010 (Won Rose Bowl)
    Boise State 2010 (1 Bad loss to Nevada on a missed FG or they play in the Rose Bowl)

I can handle one bad loss to a ND team on the road in a 3 year span if it comes with a BCS win over Alabama and #2 ranking in 2008-2009.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 6:41 p.m.

Rock Of The Marne

lol at Utah's many more undefeated seasons

1926 7-0
    1928 5-0-2 (TIED 7-7 by Creighton; SHUT OUT by BYU 0-0)
    1929 7-0
    1930 8-0
    1941 6-0-2 (TIED 6-6 by BYU; SHUT OUT by Denver 0-0)
    2004 12-0 #4/#5

1996 14-1 #5/#5
    2001 12-2 #25/#24
    2006 11-2 #16/#15
    2007 11-2 #14/#15
    2008 10-3 #25/#21
    2009 11-2 #12/#12

Frankly, I'll take BYU's 10+ win seasons over Utah's leather-helmet era "undefeated" seasons, anyday.

Did you notice that BYU's 1996 14-1 team finished #5 in the Coaches poll, tied with Utah's 2004 #5, and only one place behind Utah's 2008 #4 undefeated teams.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 6:53 p.m.

Rock Of The Marne

"not as many 10 win seasons as BYU... but far more undefeated seasons than BYU; which do you think almost anybody connected to football views as more of an accomplishment?"

BYU's 10+ win seasons would win by a landslide; it wouldn't even be close.

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:00 p.m.

@ Jeffe

It seems that many "National BYU Fans" and the even bigger followers in China and Chile were not able to make it to the New Mexico Bowl this year.

It's not that we want to down play independence, most of us simply don't care anymore about a irrelevant mid-major. We just have to continue to respond to posts like yours out of fun.

This is an article about Utah's football season, which was successful by the way. If you are looking to feel better, there are a few articles related to Jimmer Jammer and Doman as the new OC where you can go talk "greatness in independence" with your friends.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:09 p.m.

The DN falls all over itself touting the positive in BYU's 7-6 season, while focusing on the negative of Utah's 10-3 season.

Wow...

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:10 p.m.

There were actually some pretty good teams in the WAC during the 70's and 80's. Unfortunately, Utah wasn't one of them.

BYU was the most consistently good, but Air Force, SDSU, Hawaii, Wyoming and even New Mexico (10-1 in 1982) had some good teams. Arizona State was very good, but BYU even beat the Sun Devils a couple of times before they left the WAC.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:22 p.m.

UteMan

Most BYU fans stayed home from the New Mexico Bowl so they could watch Jimmer right after the bowl; a two-for-one deal.

btw, how many Utah fans showed up to the Poinsettia Bowl last year -- 2nd lowest attendance in Poinsettia Bowl history?

Guaranteed, when Utah settles into the middle of the PAC with regular 7-5 finishes, attendance for the Mighty Utes at RES will drop like a rock.

Check out the HC this season if you don't believe how quickly Utah fans jump ship as soon as the Utes start losing.

A #5 seed in 2008 can't even get 8,000 fans to attend a game anymore.

Enjoy being irrelevant in a bigger pond.

• Alaskan Ute Fairbanks, AK
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:31 p.m.

While I am honestly worried about the success of next year's team, I've very excited about the schedule. We have great games each week, except MT State. I'm sure BYU's schedule will improve in the future, but it's hard to get excited with over half of the BYU games in 2011.

Ute 2011 Schedule

at Louisiana Tech
    Idaho
    New Mexico State
    at Hawaii

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 7:41 p.m.

you're quite the joker (deceiver) @mussing around.

You meant to say that the poinsettia bowl attendance was the 3rd largest in that bowl's history. Remember, they played CALIFORNIA in CALIFORNIA. that doesn't reflect bad on the utes who were out in force, but more on the "home" team.

Are you feeling insecure after hyping up your "fact" that BYU could turn out 100,000 fans at even the lowliest of bowls, but then the real facts were completely against your empty claim?

Utah had a great year, but it is always hard to end the year with a loss. And Utah will be fine in the PAC 10 and most likely end up in a good bowl next year and a lucrative purse to go along with it.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Face it the utes are in shambles in boyh basketball and football. No way to paint it any other way. Ask Burton, who jumped ship!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Jan. 5, 2011 10:55 p.m.

@Mt Rushmore

Nice spin. Wishful thinking that Luke would have made any difference.

Please tell me how Luke, a RB, was he going to stop Hawaii from scoring 72 points standing on the sideline?

Even with Luke BYU struggled in 4 road cupcakes (see below). When they played their only 9 win team on the road, BYU got exposed as a fraud, BCS wannabe.

A) This Ute team ate up cupcakes, your 2001 team struggled vs cupcakes:

9/29 @UNLV (4-7) W 35 31
    11/10 @Wyoming (2-9) W 41 34
    12/1 @Miss State (3-8) W 41 38

B) This Ute team went 4-3 vs teams above .500 (beat two 9-4 teams on the road).

BYU barley beat a 6-5 team on the road and the best win was against 8-4 Utah at home:

10/13 @UNM (6-5) W 24 20
    11/1 CSU (7-5)W 56 34
    11/17 Utah (8-4) W 24 21

In conclusion, yes this 10-3 Ute team was disappointing but we didn't print "Perfection" t-shirts (10-3 2008 BYU) and not as bad you were in 2001.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2011 11:12 p.m.

As usual, your conclusions are all wrong Uteology, but thanks for playing.

• CRB Woods Cross, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Utah left us wondering unless you consider two things. The very nature of a non-BCS schedule (including BYU's next year non-BCS independant schedule) is that you have 2-4 tough national attention attracting games and then you have 8-10 easier games that no one cares about nationally and 6 of those are complete walkover games that could be won by the second string. Utah had the classic BYU 10 or 11 win season this year and those that would beat up Utah should also beat up Bronco because that is the best he has ever done at BYU. Sure Utah beat mid-level Air Force and SDSU on the Road but no other notable wins are present including a win at home against bottom 50 BYU. Utah had three opportunities to get on the national radar and was 0-3 in those games. To their credit like many BYU teams especially under Edwards, they won the games the were supposed to win but they couldn't perform on the national stage, at least offensively. They did have a great defensive performance against BSU but with A-Rod in the box that will never be enough.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 11:06 a.m.

CRB

Utah's schedule in the PAC 12 won't be significantly tougher. Sure Washington State, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State will be tougher than New Mexico, Colorado State, UNLV and Wyoming, but I doubt beating any of those teams is going to create a huge buzz in the national media.

With USC severly weakened by scholarship cuts, the PAC 12 South is going to resemble the Big 12 North of years past; the weaker brother of the strength of the conference, at least next year.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 11:33 a.m.

The weaker Big 12 North of years past would still terrorize the MWC. Dream on.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Jan. 6, 2011 1:37 p.m.

The weaker Big 12 North of years past would terrorize the bottom half of the MWC, but not BYU, Utah, TCU, and AFA. Nebraska and Missouri would have had all they could handle trying to win the division against the upper half of the MWC.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Jan. 6, 2011 1:53 p.m.

@CordonBleu

As usual BYU fans can't refute the message so they go after the messnger. Please enlighten us on why my conclusions are all wrong.

If BYU fans are going to call out the 10-3 Utes as one of the worst then they first need to look in the mirror.

Here's another fact that you can try to refute:

vs Cupcakes

Utah 6-0
    2001 BYU 9-0 (Not including 6-5 UNM)

So please tell me why your 12-0 was so great.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 3:44 p.m.

As a Cougar fan I was disappointed by the teams showing this year. We would have loved 10 wins and a win over U. Sadly it didn't happen. The U only lost one game that it should have won (at ND). They had a chance against BSU but dropped at least 21 points that looked like good reads and throws by the qb. TCU was just so good with their senior qb. U should feel great about the body of work done by some very good players. Celebrate the 10 wins and try to learn from the 3 losses. I think you'll do just fine in the PAC12. Wish we could have gone with you. So long and farewell to our old friend up north.

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    Jan. 6, 2011 6:05 p.m.

I am a huge Utah fan but lets be honest. We are screwed for next year. The QB play is the number one problem. Wynn was 6'0 and 155 lbs in high school. 2011 will be worse than this year. He will be running for his life and falling down and going into his fetal position. He was an embarrassment this year. He has zero running ability and we are playing a spread offense. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! He will be a paranoid schizzzzzoo thinking he will injure his shoulder again. Dump him now and get a real man. Someone who can take a hit and is not afraid to play football instead of flag girl ball. The little know fact is Wynn has lost the team. The players do not want him back. Coach Whit go get someone at least 6"2 and 210-220 who can run and lets play a real spread and speed up the play calling. I am so glad the slow as molasses Asiata is finally gone. Utah will go no better than 6-6 next year. I will bet the farm on this one.

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 6, 2011 6:43 p.m.

Wow, are you people serious?

Now Burton is jumping from a sinking ship? I guess we ignore that fact that 1st and 2nd round picks make millions of dollars in the NFL. It must be a Utah thing to send players to the NFL early, so I am sure you wouldn't understand.

I guess others like Krueger and Sean Smith just wanted to get out too. After all, a 33-6 record over the past 3 years with 2 out of 3 wins against your rival and an AP #2 and BCS victory is the definition of a sinking ship in cootertown.

If the Utah ship is sinking, BYU is without a ship in the land of independence.

It is funny that you same clowns pounded your chests with 10 win seasons not too long ago.

• Brettski2024 Concord, CA
    Jan. 6, 2011 8:40 p.m.

I love that this was run alongside articles touting BYU's awesome year/future after a 7-6 season. Thanks DNews.

I guess the DN can't get over the fact that Utah heading to the PAC10 is the biggest thing to happen to the state's college sports scene in decades.

I'll take 7-8 win seasons in the Pac10 over 10 win seasons against Idaho Tech, La Tech, New Mexico State etc

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 7, 2011 1:20 a.m.

How silly do the BYU fans look that keep talking about Utah not making any money next year?

Perhaps someone can do some quick math on the equal share they will recieve out of the 25 million dollar Fox deal that was made today for the PAC-12 Championship game.

It appears one game will be worth more than an entire year in the MWC.

This is also a great indicator of the massive deal that will be cut for the main PAC-12 TV deal that Utah will be a full member of with equal revenue sharing within a couple of years.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 7, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Uh bretski...considering that 7-8 win seasons will be the utes high water mark then you will (occasionally) get your wish. The rest will be 5-7 or 4-8 with an occasional 2-10 mixed in just for fun.

But I'm glad to see some of you ute "fans" have at least gotten a little bit of a grip on reality and are preparing yourselves for your future seasons results.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 7, 2011 11:21 a.m.

Sure I can "do the math" uteman, O% of 25mil is 0. That was pretty easy. What makes you think the utes would get any more of that money than the rest of the money they won't be getting any of?

• J1234 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 7, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Truth hurts... Get used to it.

• UteMan South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 7, 2011 4:23 p.m.

@Friendly Smiles

I am not sugar coating anything when I tell you that the Utes don't need your kind of support.

95% of the teams in Division I would dream of Utah's success over the past 3 seasons that includes a 36-6 record, BCS victory and PAC-12 invite.

You can choose to support anyone you would like other than Utah, but good luck finding one that will live up to your standards.