Utah Utes football notebook: Cornerback Brandon Burton will enter NFL Draft

Comments

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Against BYU, that deflection which was intercepted was one of the most skilled defensive plays I have ever seen.

Good luck in the NFL.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 3, 2011 12:50 p.m.

Good luck Brandon. We appreciate your time at the U, and that blocked field goal puts you in Ute lore forever. Way to keep the D back factory rolling.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 12:55 p.m.

I have to comment on this article. I knew this was coming, even though I did not want to admit it. I have had the chance to meet Brandon and he is an outstanding, thoughtful, person. He is an amazing football player as well. BYU fans will remember him for years to come. The fact that he was not a first team all-MWC player was a joke. He WILL be a first-third round pick. In the last four drafts, Utah has had five defensive backs drafted. Burton is the best corner. And I think he is nearly as good as Weddle.

Thanks for everything Brandon. You will go down as a great Ute and we appreciate everything you have done.

All right Conroy Black, Reggie Topps and Ryan Lacey, its time to step up!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 3, 2011 12:59 p.m.

And yet another Ute goes into the NFL. Might just be the best recruiting tool Kwhitt has to offer.

Don't be a fool to think that 4-5 star rated CB's didn't take notice.

Just wondering, when was the last time a CB from the tds got drafted in the NFL?

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Man, we're gonna miss that kid!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Jan. 3, 2011 1:19 p.m.

We will miss Brandon, but it seems Coach Whit has a way of finding new talent and developing them into great players. Best of luck in the NFL. You'll be on Utah highlight reel forever.

• Just Wondering... Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 3, 2011 1:29 p.m.

I thought Pac 12 membership was supposed to be good for recruiting? This kid can't get out of town fast enough. I wouldn't want to live through the upcoming beat down that 2011 promises either.

• ManBearPig Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 1:30 p.m.

I was thinking that getting torched by AFA, TCU, ND, and SDSU would affect his draft status. I guess not. Maybe Ryan Henderson will step in and get some time as a freshman.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 1:33 p.m.

I commend Burton for his play at Utah.
    Outstanding player and person.
    A football player has only so many hits in him before they start to feel the lifelong pain. Going early in my humble opinion is an extremely smart move by Burton.
    Best of luck in all you do.

Go Utes.....

• Chris B. Midvale, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Sorry TDS, there are dozens of speedy athletes behind this guy ready to step up and dominate again. Oh, its good to be a Ute. Thanks for your service Brandon!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Good Luck Brandon!

"The Block" will be remembered as one of the most skilled plays in rivalry history.

2 out 3 and SCOREBOARD!

• CdA Ute Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 3, 2011 1:59 p.m.

All the best to Brandon. I'm excited to see how our young DB's step up to the tradition of great DB's at the U.

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 1:59 p.m.

another good player from a solid line of ute defensive backs. Just Wondering had a good point though, he did get worked over pretty good by bigger receivers. good for him though, wish him all the best.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 2:25 p.m.

Cha Ching

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 2:27 p.m.

Good luck to this young man. Once they are in the NFL I don't care which Utah school they come from, I like to see them succeed.
    Hedge and Chris. Your BYU obsession is showing again. No one mentioned anything about the Y except you. I can't help but to think that Brandon sees a major struggle next season in store for the Utes and is gettin while the gettin is good. His draft stock could go down next year after playing against PAC teams.

• Nostradamus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 2:30 p.m.

Thanks Brandon - best of luck in the NFL. I agree with the posts on Whitts ability to draft talent and for sure quality athletes will notice the "NFL draftability" of the Utes.

2011 could be a tough year for us Utes - but I would clearly rather be on the path we are on than the dead end that the MWC had us on. Also, Burton seems to be making a good decision (hopefully he will be a generous alumni, as the PAC has huge financial responsibilities).

PAC ready or not, here we come. Utah has many, many wonderful seasons ahead of us!

Oh and "Just Wondering..." I suggest you go back to drooling over Jimmer.

Go Utes!

• Adver Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 2:36 p.m.

He knew when to get out of Ute'sville!

• Utefan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 2:57 p.m.

And a sigh of relief is heard in Provo!

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 3:23 p.m.

Yes he did struggle in some games as was pointed out but he also flat-out dominated in others. Go back and look at his work against Jon Baldwin from the Pitt game and you'll see he is a special talent.

I love this kid and his skills but I just don't see him going in the first round. Every year there are about 90 guys who are "projected" to go in the first-round but there are only 32 spots available. I see him going in the mid-2nd round to early 3rd. Hopefully I'm wrong and he goes 1st but I don't see it happening.

Lastly, leave BYU out of it. We beat them, it's over. The score isn't going to go up anymore by "Ute fans" constantly degrading BYU at every possible turn.

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 3:30 p.m.

Utes have an even better recruit coming in.

Best wishes to Brandon. Hope he lands on a good team.

The NFL beats the PAC 12. The playoffs beat the Rose Bowl.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 3:50 p.m.

An issue that Cougar fans never have to deal with!

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 4:54 p.m.

Best of luck to Brandon.

Hedge and Chris B -- you need help. You both have a bad case of OCtDs.

• Resident1 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 3, 2011 4:54 p.m.

@Hedgehog

The 4 and 5 star recruits do take notice, realized there's much better teams in the Pac, and go to the coast.

Burton is smart not ot waste his time in pac obscurity next year.

@williary

Nice, I like your ignorance.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Speed and technique. Wish Cougars had either one.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 5:11 p.m.

Ute fans can't seem to forget BYU even when they have something to brag about. The inferiority complex comes shining through.

• Serenity Now American Fork, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 5:11 p.m.

Congrats to Burton...a great player with a bright future in the NFL.

As a BYU fan, I wish we could have top-tier DBs like the Utes have had in recent years (Smith, Weddle, Burton, McCain, etc.)

• williary Kearns, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 5:17 p.m.

re: Resident1

Arrogance? It's just a fact, isn't it? When Jake Heaps leaves after his junior season, he'll be the first BYU undergrad to leave early for the NFL since when? I really have no idea. Don't remember it every coming up. Besides with Unga, who was not going to be drafted so he came back.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Jan. 3, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Shaky dropped another pass...

• Mount Olympus Holladay, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 5:27 p.m.

What a smartdecision. If you are projected as a first or second rounder, definitely go.

If not you risk too much. He could have gotten injured next season and lost out on a lot of money. Unfortunate for the team, but good for Brandon.

Thanks for your contributions Brandon Burton, best of luck in the NFL.

• Resident1 Spanish Fork, Utah
    Jan. 3, 2011 5:41 p.m.

Really williary?

Arrogance? Did you read what I wrote?

Again, I like your "ignorance."

Also, good luck in your pac obscurity. I wonder if your new conference rivals (Washington St) will enjoy your ignorance as much as we do?

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 5:50 p.m.

Good Luck to Burton in the NFL. I would be surprised if he goes in the top 2 rounds, but still a 3rd or 4th round selection is nothing to be ashamed of.

We'll be cheering for you on Sundays and hope you represent the U well. It will be great to have another ute starting on D somewhere.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 3, 2011 6:07 p.m.

wwookie,

I remeber very well that most tds fans didn't think Misi would get his name called until the 4th or 5th round......

Based on this I feel very confortable that Burton will be select late first early second.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 6:18 p.m.

He doesn't have to be all that smart to see the impending train wreck next years ute season is going to be and got out while he could.

But hey you guys are signing all sorts of juco guys so maybe you can find another one?

• HerbSewell Las Vegas, Nevada
    Jan. 3, 2011 6:20 p.m.

Always enjoy watching players from utah schools in the NFL.

BTW, to a previous poster, Jimmer deserves all of our attention.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 7:13 p.m.

williary,

Ever heard of Austin Collie? 4th and 18 ring a bell?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Jan. 3, 2011 7:53 p.m.

Doesn't matter where the kid is drafted...

Won't win any games for the PAC 12 - 12th place Utes...

• P. Sylvan Redlands, CA
    Jan. 3, 2011 8:10 p.m.

Burton owes none of his success in the NFL to the U. The kid is a great player, and would have been in the NFL if he played for any University...

SWBU. Portland, Butler, or USD...

(OK, I don't know if any of those colleges have a football tesm... but that doesn't matter)

The Utes are losers, football or basketball.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Jan. 4, 2011 1:44 a.m.

Good luck, Brandon. I wish you were staying for one more year, but I wish you the best of luck.

• Tmac Provo, UT
    Jan. 4, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Can't say I really watched a whole lot of Ute football this year, but in what I did see, I was impressed with Brandon. As much as it pains me to think back on his block in the BYU-Utah game (which still makes my stomach turn) you have to give the guy credit. BYU had controlled the game for 3 solid quarters, but allowed the Utes back in the game due to some controversial/just-bad luck plays and poor play calling from BYU's offense. Even in the fourth quarter I never felt that Utah played for or deserved the stats they were getting. However, Brandon stepped it up and made the big play at the right moment. In my opinion, it was Brandon who won the game for the Utes. Being a Y fan, it was a play I'll never forgive him for, but when a player makes a play like that (even if they're a Ute), you have to give them the props they earned.

I wish him the best of luck in the NFL and hopefully he is drafted as quickly as projected!

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    Jan. 4, 2011 11:18 a.m.

good luck in the NFL.

• AribaD Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 4, 2011 11:32 a.m.

Abandoning a sinking ship?

• williary Kearns, UT
    Jan. 4, 2011 11:34 a.m.

re: P Sylvan

So sad how many Cougar fans are obsessed with putting Utah down. Even after a 7-6 season? Sorry, if you can't finish about .500 in the regular season, you don't get to smack talk, just the way it goes.

Burton was a 2-star unheralded player coming out of high school. Utah turned him into a 1st-2nd round NFL corner. He will become the 4th starting corner from Utah to be drafted since 2008. Smith, McCain, Stafford and Burton. Quite a program Whit is building on the hill. The kind of program that wouldn't be skipped over by a BCS conference. Like another program to the south.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 4, 2011 11:35 a.m.

Food for thought!!
    1) Every team not in a automatic bowl qualifying conference should hope that Utah does well in the PAC 12!!! At first those who rule NCAA football said teams in other conferences could not play with the "big boys". Well, Utah, Boise State, and TCU have proved them wrong!!! (BCS record 5-2 and one loss was forced upon those three as they were made to play each other rather than having the possibility that both would win!!) Now they say non-BCS qualifying teams could not last playing week in and week out BCS competition. Utah has the chance to prove them wrong again. Those who predict doom for the Utes next year are only adding testimony to that train of thought.

Secondly, What team was first in Conference USA last year? Who has won the most titles in the Mid-Atlantic Conference? The Sun Belt? Who knows? And that is how the "big boys" think of the MWC!!! What counts to them is beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl!!! Winning 9 straight bowl games!!! That's just their mentality!!!

• NewJersey Salem, Ut
    Jan. 4, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Can't blame him. He knows the 2011 season will be even worse than 2010.