Terrance Cain the silent X factor in Utes bowl game

Comments

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 21, 2010 12:40 a.m.

Cain could make the difference...

between

Utah losing by 30

or

Utah losing by 40+

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 7:59 a.m.

Leave it to the bitter fans to the south to put a fine young man down. Pathetic

Thanks Terrance for doing all the right things on and off the field. Look forward to one last game to shut the naysayers up and go out at 10-1 as a starter.

Go Utes!

• CdA Ute Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 21, 2010 8:12 a.m.

So, what I gather from is article is that TCain is quiet.

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 8:29 a.m.

I think if Cain (and the rest of the team) can find his rhythm, then this will be an interesting game. The 2 weeks that he started, his completion pass completion percentage was almost identical to Kellan Moore's. I felt bad that he did so poorly in the BYU game, but I think to be thrown in with all that pressure probably forced some bad decisions. I think they should have been rotating him into more plays throughout the season this year. I think he earned at least that, but at least now we'll see well he proves himself.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 8:31 a.m.

Utah 34

Boise 24(with a garbage time TD)

Thanks for playing broncos

• cougar4ever2 SLC, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 8:51 a.m.

Let's see, if Cain throws 3 interceptions against BYU in half a quarter, and BYU's secondary is supposedly horrible, according to the mighty Utes, I am wondering if there has been a record set in a bowl game for the number of interceptions thrown. I think Cain has a great chance at setting that record. Congratulations in advance! I won't bother wishing the Utes luck in this game because there isn't enough luck on this planet to help them. They have used up all their luck in the previous three games they have played this year. Too bad they didn't save some.

• UC AGGIE Lehi, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:11 a.m.

Cain has nothing to prove. He is a very capable QB, 9-1 speaks for it's self. 7 of these win came in Utah's rebuilding year.
    GO UTES!!! Make our state proud.
    Side note: I Love BYU fans. Cougar4ever2 reads and posts on every UTE story. I wish he could get something right, Cain didn't throw 3 int's against BYU.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:17 a.m.

Chris B., I can't wait to hear your excuse for why your prediction went so awry. Of course after this game, you will have no reason to post about a football article until BYU opens at Ole'Miss then we will see another predictable "Kewgs lose by 50. Mark it down." Your lousy prediction are becoming so old.

Look forward to seeing what you have to say on Wed. evening.

BSU 52 Utah 24

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 9:30 a.m.

Cain must be ready to run the ball. One of the Utes biggest weaknesses this season has been that the offence is designed around having a running threat at QB, and the Utes have turned into a pocket passing spread instead of rolling out of the pocket. I haven't looked, but I bet Wynn had less than 100 yds rushing on the season. Having a running threat will make the D pause for periods that can open up lanes or give the QB a window to hit the receiver.
    This could be a positive for the offence. A bit of an unknown. Like Ratliff at the end of 2005.
    I will hope for the best for the Utes, but honestly just crossing my fingers that they keep it competitive.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 10:05 a.m.

GO UTES!!! From a diehard Cougar fan here's hoping your QB has a career day and you guys sign off from the MWC with a great victory. Looking forward to September and some great college football.

• youtes taylorsville, utah
    Dec. 21, 2010 10:20 a.m.

Cain can definately beat Boise State. Here comes a win off of a field goal miss. A last second field goal miss.

Utah 34 Boise State 31

• MUSSing with U Baltimore, MD
    Dec. 21, 2010 10:43 a.m.

Nobody is questioning Cain's character, utahcountyute, just his QB skills.

There's a good reason Cain was benched in favor of Wynn last year and why he's only played a backup role this year.

The Broncos know Cain can run, but they also know he's only a marginal passer. They have plenty of game film on Cain and have plenty of time to adjust their game plan to take away his strengths.

Blind belief in Cain's abilities and Utah's "improvement" since TCU won't help the Utes.

Boise State is just plain better and, unfortunately for the Utes, the Broncos will be out to prove they're still better than the Utes.

• slgs5aggie Cedar City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 10:52 a.m.

This has nothing to do with the young man. Some of the comments are accurate. Either QB equals a loss. But come on, that article was horrible written. Loser in the end...the D news.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Dec. 21, 2010 10:59 a.m.

I'd rather play against Wynn than Cain. Wynn can run and they pass about as well as one another.

• Stay the Course Mona, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 11:26 a.m.

I suspect Cain will be very silent this game nothing good hopefully nothing too bad just quiet

• Skierelmo Oakley, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 11:30 a.m.

Im glad Cain is quiet.... it almost makes up for the mind numbing chatter coming from all the haters on these Utah topics.

• CalmDown Frost Free, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2010 11:56 a.m.

I am a Y fan embarrassed by the ridiculous comments made by thankfully only a few supposed Y fans, so far. Be better than that!
    How can we not all get behind a quiet athlete just trying to do his job in this day and age? What a refreshing change. Regardless of the rankings, in actuality Boise State should run away with this game. I was going to just enjoy what I hope will be a good game, but now I will pull for this underdog of a QB to pull his best game ever out of a hat and end his career with one last great memory.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 12:24 p.m.

I feel badly for the Utes and for Cain. They've had a slightly overrated year and now Cain is thrown into the mix against a team that's got to be mad about their state. I wish they had a chance in this game but, realistically, there is little chance of anything good for them.

BSU: 42 Utah: 13

• sports fan Provo, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 1:10 p.m.

Cain is one of my favorite athletes. lets play our best game of the year. if we play like we did against Iowa State than we get the W if we play like we have in the past 4 games, not so much.

GO CAIN!!! GO UTES!!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 1:19 p.m.

Have you all forgotten that Utah hasn't lost a bowl game since WWII or something like that?

This streak is not going to end.

If Alabama couldn't end it - how will an overrated Boise?

Broncos are going to get bucked

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 1:40 p.m.

I have to partially side with Chris B. The Broncos are overrated. They hardest games they played before losing to Nevada were against a not-very-good Virgina Tech and Oregon State. I think it could be an interesting game to watch.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 21, 2010 1:47 p.m.

Chris, didn't you mean to say since the first Desert Storm? Is not that about the time they started going to bowls regularly? Surely you realize why I picked the score I did for the game tomorrow. Or was it so blatant that the subtlety got by you. Ok, I will just say it. I think BSU will put the same hurt on the TUN that BYU did to UTEP. If i'm wrong it will be yes sir, no sir, from here on out, All hail King Chris and all that. I will definitely take BSU and the points.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 21, 2010 1:58 p.m.

@ Calmdown - Calm down yourself or go back to your knitting, we are all just having some friendly banter to pass the time instead of going out and digging out from under the snow. At the end of the day we are all just fans and are happy to watch more sports, no matter who is playing.
    I will be glad to raise my glass to the Utes being in the PAC-12, and BYU being independent, and to any school willing to jump ship and get to something they think is better. Merry Christmas to you all.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 2:32 p.m.

"Leave it to the bitter fans to the south to put a fine young man down. Pathetic"

The self righteosness on the hill is pathetic.

Redfeather isn't putting a fine young man down - he's guessing that regardless of how well Cain plays, the yewties will get rocked.

I personally think the yewties will play quite well and possibly win, but the hypocrisy of calling that "trying to put a fine young man down" is nonsense.

When Heaps struggled this year did you yewties tell him encouraging things on these boards, or was it a a slew of classless comments?

Typical self righteous yewts.

It was simply a prediction of what will happen - he said nothing of Cain's character. Surely you have never laughed at any byu players this season right? Because that would be putting fine young men down.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 3:33 p.m.

...and utah wins by 2

Utah 40
    BSU 38

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 3:44 p.m.

Ted... go away.

• Trevvor Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 4:19 p.m.

@tomahawk,

Lame reponse to a true statement

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 4:24 p.m.

Ted, Ted, Ted...

No surprise that you and Mussing come to Redfeather's defense. It's all good.

You mention Heaps. I believe that he was the one that said they were going to go 9 - 0, right? If he puts himself out there, it's kind of "open season". Even when he said that though, I never singled him out. I said the coaching staff should never let a Frosh speak to the media.

To single out a player that clearly has not put himself out there though, is pretty week.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 21, 2010 6:05 p.m.

"Lame reponse to a true statement"

Trevor...how old are you? your reasoning skills are, shall we say....juvinile?

Utes rip of St. Heaps because the bubble media masw him a Heisman candidate before he arrived to the TDS St.heaps himself sad he would win all the games he started in this year.....what do you expect???

• Ted H Sandy, UT
    Dec. 21, 2010 6:17 p.m.

yewty,

You're struggling - let's see if I can help. How did redfeather put the guy down? He just predicted that Utah has no chance of winning, regardless of how well Cain plays.

That's a far stretch to say he was putting him down. Would you agree that John Wall has little chance of beating the LA Lakers in a basketball series? Or would that be putting John Wall down?

See how your logic fails as you were so quick to jump on redfeather?

Again - I've said nothing about yewtah getting killed. I think the yewties are a great team.

And as far as your weak response about a guy becoming "open season," you're saying you've never once said a negative thing about a byu player(even though redfeather's wasn' negative) unless that player has made a ridiculous statement in the first place?

Ok - we believe you

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 21, 2010 10:09 p.m.

Heaps NEVER said that he would go undefeated as a starter. Typical U fans who twist words to suit your lame jabs at BYU. You still take Collies comments out of context and now you misquote Heaps.

It's all good though, cause tomorrow will speak for itself. You own scoreboard this year, but a much improved Heaps playing at home should have something more to say, not to mention a new offensive staff.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 22, 2010 12:21 a.m.

BYU ate Cains lunch! Boise State is four touchdowns better than byu. Cain and the utes crumble in Vegas.

Utah, the true overrated team in America!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 22, 2010 9:22 a.m.

Pavlov

This was taken from an article entitled "Pack of problems ahead for hopeful courgars". This was the day after they were tagged by FSU.

Heaps says:

"We've got 10 games (remaining), so we're going to win those 10 games," again Heaps "From here, the plan is to go 10-0."

And as I said before, I never said it was his fault. The fault lies with the lame coaching staff for letting him speak.