BYU basketball: Jimmer Fredette named Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week

Comments

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 11:02 a.m.

Well deserved. He was a star against the very good Arizona defense. The Cougars dominated a strong Arizona team that got chippy out of frustration.

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 11:11 a.m.

Jimmer is just an unbelievable talent we won't see again at BYU for some time.
    It's a no brainer he'll make the NBA. Just have to wait and see how his game translates.
    Best of luck Jimmer. Here's to one Jazz fan hoping he makes the leap to the Jazz. Would love to have him here.

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    Dec. 14, 2010 11:19 a.m.

I can't keep his accolades straight anymore, Jimmer has had so many can he even remember them? He's going to need multiple rooms to house his multiple trophies, awards, and honors.

Go Y

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Dec. 14, 2010 11:24 a.m.

I give credit it where its due congrats Fredette. I wont lie byu is much better tahn the U and he is the biggest reason. Hope they beat ucla not a fan in anyway of the y but I dislike california schools more.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 11:45 a.m.

In a shocking move, the MWC also named Jimmer conference player of the week. It's about time the MWC agreed with the national media (see Shaky Smithson being named an All-American but not winning MWC Special Teams POY).

Congrats to Jimmer on his great season(s) at BYU. I'm hoping he and his cohorts trip up at least once this year against Utah but I wish them all the best in their other games.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Dec. 14, 2010 12:05 p.m.

Jimmer is a stud, and he is very humble about it. Even more reason to like this guy!!!!!

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 14, 2010 12:36 p.m.

Great accolades. Jimmer is incredibly fun to watch! How does he make some of those shots?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 14, 2010 12:43 p.m.

In the good ole days when Andre Miller, Doleac, and Van Horn were at the U with Majerus - I had no problem respecting Utah for what they were - a great basketball team. In fact - I was in San Jose to watch them play and even lowered myself to purchase a Utah T-shirt at the time.

Utes21 - you should follow suit and give the Y due credit. Your image will not be harmed by spelling it "BYU".

• killerbees Queensbury, NY
    Dec. 14, 2010 12:45 p.m.

Jimmer Fredette is the best all around College Basketball player in the Nation, period!.......he has improved expotentially in the areas that he was told he needed to and that is scary for any team that comes across Jimmer and BYU. Remember, he didn't even start pouring it on until this time last year. I also think this may be the best BYU team in a long time. If they give UNLV and SDSU good games, come out with wins, keep their rank high, they will make a run in the tournament and Jimmer will have a shot at National Player of the year. GO JIMMER, GO BYU!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 1:21 p.m.

The guy is a great player no doubt but he carries a lot of baby fat and is as white as snow. Walmart sells a product made by Banana Boat. It is a self tanning lotion that cost about $6.97 for a 6 oz bottle. It is found on the skin care isle. I would buy some and send it to Jimmer but I don't know if it is approved by the BYU honor code.

• Ashtrash Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 1:38 p.m.

@Dutchman -

Baby Fat? Um, not even close. From a girl's perspective, there's just no getting around it - Dude is hot.

White as snow? Um, yeah he's white. Do you prefer your ballers Lindsay-Lohan-orange? Mmmmmkay....

If those are the only things yewts can find to pick on Jimmer, then I'm pretty sure he's okay with that....

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 2:40 p.m.

A great honor for a great player.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 2:58 p.m.

@Dutchman

The sun doesn't shine in the gym...

• Poqui Murray, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 3:21 p.m.

This die-hard Ute says congrats James...!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 3:24 p.m.

That's what's great about self tanning lotions, you can spend your whole life in the gym and out of the sun and still get a tan. And contrary to what Ashtrash suggests the Banana Boat product does not leave you looking orange. Yeh, I don't like the Lindsay Lohan or John Behner (House Speaker) orange look either. This product leaves you with a brown natural looking tan. Just ask my wife. Oh, but that baby fat! What to do about that? But, what a tremendous athlete and player. I wish Jimmer was on my team.

• ronnie sandy, utah
    Dec. 14, 2010 4:00 p.m.

I think he is proving that he belongs in the NBA after this year.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 4:40 p.m.

Jimmer is his given name.

• BYU Student Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 4:50 p.m.

Seriously? Critiquing the man's skin tone? It's December. C'mon.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 5:23 p.m.

No one complains about Deron Williams and Jason Kidd being white, so what is wrong with Jimmer being white? Dutchman, there is nothing less appealing than a deep, dark tan at Christmastime. I'm dreaming of a white Christmas! Go Jimmer!

By the way, if you look closely, you will see evidence of weight-lifting beneath Jimmer's baby fat.

• bjfcubsfan Wellsville, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 5:36 p.m.

Actually, James is his given name. He has always gone by Jimmer, but it is just a nickname.

• posterized Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 5:57 p.m.

@Linus Dude...Deron's definitely not white haha. Not that it matters. Go Jimmer!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 14, 2010 6:30 p.m.

Come on folks - no whiter b-ball players than a BYU b-ball player.

Danny Ainge, Greg Kite... the list is endless.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 7:00 p.m.

You rock Hedge...

Larry Bird...
    Chris Mullin...
    Keith Van Horn...

Oh, wait, the first two were solid college ball players....

• palerider Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 7:08 p.m.

You mean "Jim

You mean "Jim Fred-ette"?

• modad Salt Lake, Utah
    Dec. 14, 2010 8:31 p.m.

It's nice to see positive, honest allocades re. Jimmer from u fans. Yes, it's fun to have someone like Jimmer playing for BYU. I will enjoy it while it lasts, just like the u did a couple of years ago with all the great players they had when they were on top.

• Ogdenite Lincoln, NE
    Dec. 14, 2010 9:15 p.m.

hi there

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 10:13 p.m.

Thriller - this article stated that the weekly national award recipient is chosen from the weekly conference players of the week.

Jimmer is a gamer!

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Dec. 14, 2010 10:52 p.m.

Congrats to Jimmer on the well deserved honors! he is a stud

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 12:06 a.m.

"It is the nation's oldest award and the only one named after a former player."

You know, unlike the one named after a Purdue All-American -- John Wooden.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 1:06 a.m.

Now that he got this week award - win more for BYU team. Go Jimmer, Jackson Emery and team. Hope Hartsock feeling better.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 15, 2010 8:00 a.m.

Why was my comment deleted? All I said is that Jimmer is not NBA talent. I stated that Coach Rose has a terrific team system, but that does not translate well into the NBA. I also commented that I've noticed a trend, when Jimmer is guarded one-on-one by more athletic guards (i.e., Creighton game) he is non-existent. Your restrictions are poorly implemented. I understand that you restrict freedom of speech, which I find ironic as I see that you enjoy freedom of press....

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 11:13 a.m.

Wookie | 8:00 a.m. Dec. 15, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    "Why was my comment deleted? All I said is that Jimmer is not NBA talent."

I'm guessing to protect you frome embarassing yourself.

But I agree, if complaining about tanning is a valid subject, yours should be too...
    ===

"Your restrictions are poorly implemented. I understand that you restrict freedom of speech, which I find ironic as I see that you enjoy freedom of press...."

I agree, free speech should be protected, no matter how idiotic it might be.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 12:11 p.m.

This is basketball, not ethnicity/racial genetics. Lots of immature/immaterial comments.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 15, 2010 1:32 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas, thanks for your comments. Time will tell if Jimmer's talent translates into the NBA. As far as track records of BYU players under Rose, how have they fared? I may not be as up-to-date on his players as you are? I commented on the games I witnessed including flying out to Omaha to attend the game, he was embarrased by a couple of no-name Creighton guards. I think they held him to 13 points. The used 1-on-1 coverage which completely shut him down. In games where coaches have set up defenses similar to Creighton, Jimmer has struggled.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 15, 2010 6:13 p.m.

Wookster

If you think Jimmer has struggled, you do not understand basketball.

Throw three players on him, and he and his team still rolls through them.

Understand the game, bro.

But your comments are still valid.