Utah Utes football: Kyle Whittingham reticent regarding Urban Meyer's departure at Florida

Comments

• UtahDerek sandy, ut
    Dec. 8, 2010 6:43 p.m.

Whit isn't going anywhere, he is at the end of Florida's list and I'm sure that Peterson from Boise or Mullen would go before Whit. Whit has his staple on this program and finally has the chance to go to a BCS conf. With that will come more money, could it happen I think Peterson is going to go to florida.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 8, 2010 7:38 p.m.

With Boise State unable to improve much with heading to the vacated MWC, Peterson would be the likely candidate at Florida.

Good luck to coach Meyer. Proving that family must come first.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 8, 2010 8:16 p.m.

Wait 24 hours.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 9:13 p.m.

I thought Witt was heading to Miami. Florida would be better if its offered.

I don't see why he would stay if he is given a better opportunity. Utah is crippled when recruiting against the other PAC schools, and is going to be in major flux for a few years as they try to figure out their identity in the new conference. If either Miami or Florida offer I wish him the best.

• mr. j Cottonwood Hts., Ut
    Dec. 8, 2010 11:27 p.m.

Utahs always recruiting against other pac and big 12 schools. they'll be just fine in that area.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 11:31 p.m.

You be a fool to take the job at Florida Kyle. Just stay put here in this state of Utah.

• The Rabbit (in Spanish) Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 12:33 a.m.

This will be an interesting decision for Whittingham. I think he will stay at Utah, not because he owes Utah anything but because he actually likes the school and the area he lives in. That is a rare thing in today's athletic culture.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Dec. 9, 2010 1:19 a.m.

I hope Coach Whittingham stays. He is a very good coach, has an improving program, and is moving up to a much better conference.

Even if offered, I don't see Chris Peterson taking the job. He is certainly qualified, but he fits too well in Boise, and seems to truly enjoy it there.

But $5 million is a lot of money....

• Utefan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 4:30 a.m.

Coach Whit is not going to talk about what has yet to be and may never be offered. He has already turned down millions of dollars from Tennessee and Vandy why would Miami and Florida's money be any more attractive.

To those who think that Utah's football program is going to be "crippled" against other PAC12 programs, I think such speculation is more wishful on the part of some in Utah valley than real. The truth is that Utah's football program has never been more vibrant. They already recruit well against PAC10 schools and now being part of that conference is not going to hurt.

It seems to me that the football program that is really going to be crippled and ultimately in flux is that other school down south. They have no conference, no realistic chance to play for a National Championship. What five or four star athlete is going to want to go there, unless of course it is for religious reasons.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 6:31 a.m.

Whittingham's not going anywhere, certainly not to florida. if he was going anywhere he would have jumped to Tennessee pre-PAC10 move.

• imcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 6:32 a.m.

As I read these comments I have to ask myself - when will Utah and BYU fans get over thier inferiority complex? Utah is in the BCS now. They have one of the better programs in the country. Why would Whittingham leave? Utah fans - relax we are ok. We can now keep big time coaches. BYU fans relax - it's ok if Utah does well. Let's everybody grab some perspective.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 6:34 a.m.

Sweeten the coffer
    Cuz the Money talks.
    If he gets the offer
    Whit will walk.

After that, Peterson will take the U job to get into a PAC 12 coaching position. The big loser in all this will be BSU.

• Commontater Lehi, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 7:06 a.m.

Middle of the PAC 12 or Florida? I think this puts Witt in Florida and Utah is automatically the automatic cellar dweller of the PAC 12 automatic qualifying conference. It's all automatic.

Witt's departure would be great timing for Chris Hill because he can hire a new coach for little, to nothing, because Utah doesn't receive a dime next year for going to the PAC 12. Chris will thank Witt and send him on his way.

You can bet the Utah coaching opportunity will be back loaded based on performance and the football program will be right there with basketball program. Irrelevant and a proverbial cellar dweller.

WOW! How fast of a come-apart is that? A BSC national champion, Rated # 5, to a 2nd place MWC finish, Las Vegas Bowl looser, to the bottom of the PAC 12, all in less than a year.

This is a very sad scenario, yet so realistic. It's a sad time for a Ute fan when so many things of the future hang in balance, that are not even settled on the playing field. I'm afraid it's all about THE MONEY.

Anyway, GO UTES!

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Dec. 9, 2010 7:17 a.m.

Both Peterson and Whitingham are no fools. Both are good candidates for any upper major program. With money like what Florida has to offer... either one would have to really think hard about that aspect and the opportunities that money like that could provide for their families.. It would be an awful hard choice to turn down that kind of money... which for a coach from a lower mid major program could come but once in a lifetime. I'm sure Meyer has submitted names that he would recommend. He's an astute coach who studies coaching styles intensely. He more than anyone else will have more insight as to who should be the next head coach at Florida. You can easily bet that both Whitingham and Peterson are probably high up on that list.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 7:56 a.m.

Utah in the Pac-12 has ACCESS to the BCS Championship. Florida has a legitimate shot every year. Urban turned down Notre Dame to go to Florida. Why? The greatest recruiting ground in America. If Utah would've been in the Pac, Urban still would've left.

Utah is not Florida. Tennessee is not Florida. If Florida comes calling, if Texas comes calling, if USC comes calling, you listen. You may not go, but only a fool wouldn't listen.

• Wasatch Al West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 8:54 a.m.

Latest rumor:
    Whittingham to Florida - Urban back to Utah.
    Count on it!

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 9:12 a.m.

In spite of all their money, Utah has a better team and program than Florida or Miami right now. Sure Whit could make more money, but he'd have to rebuild (to some extent) either of those programs. Why would he leave right now when his program, that already competes at a "BCS level," is about to move to an actual BCS conference, which will only help improve it?

• TAGZZ SLC, Utah
    Dec. 9, 2010 9:26 a.m.

Why are the zoobs commenting on this article... It has nothing to do about BYwho... He is going to stay at Utah... Look at how much Urban aged while he was at Florida for 6 years, Kyle has a great job here with great success, I could see Chris Peterson heading there before Coach Whitt.

Plus you have to take into consideration when a coach looks at taking another job they have to ask themselves is it worth it, The money may be great but is it really secure or is he going to be leaving a sure deal with Utah to just be under the gun constantly at Florida!!

• UtahDerek sandy, ut
    Dec. 9, 2010 9:42 a.m.

This rumor is going on all ove the country and many analyst have already confirmed, Chris Peterson is in Florida and word is there are discussing contract negotiations.

• Ute Fan In Utah West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 10:15 a.m.

Chris Peterson would be a fool to leave Boise. He's got a sure deal with BSU, and to risk it at Florida with a down program vs. having a program that competes already very well and only moving up would be too risky for me. Then again, I wouldn't even be considered to coach in a Pee-Wee league.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 10:22 a.m.

TAGZZ | 9:26 a.m. Dec. 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    "Why are the zoobs commenting on this article..."

Because many "zoobs" are Utahns, and want the local University to do well...

Because you decide to "define" someone based upon your own values... They are not required to "hate" because you do.

Why do you care about other's opinion anyway?
    ===

Why would Whitt turn down Tennessee and the money? I'm guessing it would have alot to do with the lifestyle of Tennessee vs Utah.

Question is whether Utah and Bosie outweigh the lifestyle of Forida.

I'm sure an offer needs to be tendered first.
    ===

Kyle is a smart coach, and a player's coach. He's more worried about preparing the players for BSU than "what-if's" right now...

That, or his agent is in negotiations right now...

• NORCALUTE MoTown, CA
    Dec. 9, 2010 10:34 a.m.

Coach Whitt cares too much his family to drag them through the whole Floria thing right now...just as Urban explained how it effected his family....Whitt's staying at Utah for at least 2 more years and will lead the Ute's to a PAC 12 Cahampionship and Rose Bowl win in 2013; then he will depart having left a firm foundation for a Ute dynasty for years to come. And why the heck are BYwhos commenting on this story...I guess they are trying to make themselves look relevent. What a waste of time....why don't all you little zoobies go chase that little quest you all love so much...the quest to nowhere!

Go Utes!!

• SoCal Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Dec. 9, 2010 10:51 a.m.

@ ALL Get real folks! Florida is a "Big Time Program" They have to get a "BIG NAME COACH" Neither Utah, Boise or TCU have a coach with a Big enough name nationally to get an invite to Florida.
    Florida supporters are not going to let the school do any kind of "try it and see if it works" approach. They have to go after a name like Jon Gruden or someone with that kind of National Status.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Dec. 9, 2010 12:50 p.m.

"Coach Whitt cares too much his family to drag them through the whole Floria thing right now."

"Whitt's staying at Utah for at least 2 more years and will lead the Ute's to a PAC 12 Cahampionship and Rose Bowl win in 2013; then he will depart having left a firm foundation for a Ute dynasty for years to come."

NorCalUTE: Do you think you are psychic or does Kyle call you up for advice on these things?

Whether he is offered the job or not, I can't see him talking about leaving as he is in the middle of recruiting for next year AND preparing his team for a bowl game.

• TAGZZ SLC, Utah
    Dec. 9, 2010 1:25 p.m.

Veritas... I have seen your comments on this board time and time again and you despise the Utes... You could care less about the local Universities especially since your beloved Kewgs backstabbed Utah State... I don't need a lecture about Zoobs wanting the Utes to do well, Can't pull that one on me!!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 2:46 p.m.

Coach Whit is just a narcissist in a coach's clothing. Meyer retires and all he can think about is his next big thing.

As for recruiting, even a down Florida team has better recruiting opps than an up Utah team, and any argument to that is just silly.

• Wookie19 Murray, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 2:50 p.m.

I love how the zoobs say that we troll their boards; however do you count how many of those homers comment on our boards! Go look at the comments regarding Utah vs BSU in the Las Vegas Bowl. The first 20-25 comments are zoobs. Then read a BYU article and the first 2-3 comments are U fans and the zoobs want to riot. BYU's little brother hypocrisy knows no bounds!

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 3:25 p.m.

wookie,

Funny you didn't mention the 60-70 comments from lUsers on the BYU schedule article.

Last I checked that article had around 115 comments, again showing that regardless of good or bad(and this year was admittedly bad) the focus will always be on byu, by both byu and lUser fans.

The self rigteous hypocrisy on the hill these days passes anything ever seen in Provo

• Thlete Draper, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 3:58 p.m.

Sad that Coug fans' only hope is that Utah loses their coach to Florida again. Didn't work out so hot for you guys last time, why do you think it worries the Utes fans now? I think Whit will stay, but if he leaves, Utah will be fine. How many schools are getting on the horn with Bronco with all these great openings?

• I Will Be Till I Die Holladay, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 4:21 p.m.

@ SoCal: remind me where Urban was before he got hired at Florida? It's on the tip of my tongue... oh yeah - it was UTAH you dolt!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Dec. 9, 2010 4:25 p.m.

Johnny Triumph

That seemed a little harsh. Why are you hatin' on Kyle? What has he done that has been narcissistic? How do you know that all he can think about is his next big thing? And, if he is considering Florida, why is wanting that a bad thing indicative of bad character? I'm a Cougar, but I don't understand the animosity for Coach Whit?

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 5:14 p.m.

If Whittingham goes anywhere, it will be to USC after they fire Lane Kiffin. He would only do that for ego.

He can achieve everything he wants as a coach at Utah in the PAC 12. Once Utah starts plucking recruits away from UCLA, ASU, USC, and Oregon, the program will explode.

In another year or two, when the PAC 12 money starts coming to the Utes, he'll get a nice salary boost.

Even with that, he already knows that money is not why he coaches.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 5:51 p.m.

Chris Hill is going to open the check book again. Whit will stay in SLC.

It is great to have your coach wanted by big programs. Majerus went through this every off-season as well. It is part of being a good program. It is a lot more fun than trying to figure out who on the staff needs to be fired because you had a down year -- we've seen enough of that in the past (and are currently experiencing it in basketball).

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 6:21 p.m.

Urban can not come to Utah. His daughter is at Geogia Tech and his family comes first.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 7:45 p.m.

Update to wookie

BYU article now has over 140 comments, over half of which are lUsers.

• Spitvalve Denton, TX
    Dec. 9, 2010 7:58 p.m.

I think Whit's happy with his contract at Utah. He makes more than enough to take care of his family's needs, and I don't think additional millions would be that tempting if it means leaving the state he loves and uprooting his family. He had a good NFL career before he became a coach. Money is likely not an issue.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 8:05 p.m.

TAGZZ, some of us do care about the state University even though we are fans of a private one. More of my siblings went there than to my school.

Also for the record Wittingham went to BYU and was a captain on the national championship team so I think he does have something to do with BYU, but that's just me.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 9, 2010 8:16 p.m.

TAGZZ | 1:25 p.m. Dec. 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    "Veritas... I have seen your comments on this board time and time again and you despise the Utes..."

Sorry, there Tagzzzzz...

Tell me that I expect more out of Ute Fanzz, and you have got me.

Quote from my post why you think I despise the Utes...

Personally, I want the most for my tax buck. I pay for the Utah program.

Cal, Vegas folks don't pay a dime.

I call things how I see them.

No one in FL wants Kyle right now.

Sorry, as much as the Utes want to be relevant, they are not, and won't be soon. The "Maaco Paint Bowl" was more relevant last year, and this year, no matter what Ute fans say, isn't a big deal to anone but Utah fans, and with most Ute fans being Anti-BYU haters, that is about 10,000 people...

So good luck at keeping Kyle...

Since no one wants him...

(sourse:ESPN)

• Wookie19 Murray, UT
    Dec. 10, 2010 4:18 p.m.

Update to Dead Head Wanna Be Ute Red Ted,

You keep proving my point!

Thank you for being a being a typical TDS fan.

• Wookie19 Murray, UT
    Dec. 10, 2010 4:19 p.m.

Ted,

Brian Blechen is still unblocked!!!

Go UTES!!!