Utah Utes football notebook: Utes are eager to tackle the Broncos' challenge

Comments

• HomerSimpson South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 1:02 a.m.

Broncos by 50+. Sorry, Utes. You are not worthy.

• firestorm Lehi, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 4:34 a.m.

This is gunna be an EPIC beatdown....

• imcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 6:34 a.m.

Hey Homer Simpson. You'll be just fine with Utep. It's obvious that you're a Y fan and harbor just a bit of resentment. It's ok.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Dec. 7, 2010 6:40 a.m.

Anytime Coug fans predict that the Utes will lose big, the Utes usually do fairly well. I do think the Utes will lose this game, but I think they will surprise us. Cain presents a different threat than does Wynn...now if he could just throw the ball.

• NORCALUTE MoTown, CA
    Dec. 7, 2010 6:41 a.m.

Utes by 14....can't wait to make for all the na-says to see the truth.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 6:45 a.m.

Ok Chris B. I am waiting for you to tell what to "mark down"

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Dec. 7, 2010 6:49 a.m.

Here's one Cougar fan who's rooting hard for the Utes against the Broncs! I hope they put up a good show and win it for their coach and their fans. I believe in miracles and I think the Utes are very capable of pulling off an upset! Go Utes!!! My cougars will look good if you put up a good show, even better if you win. Again, go Utes! Go Cougs! Win your final games and leave the MWC on a high note! And may the future be bright for both programs!

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 7:02 a.m.

This is a huge chance for the Utes to "justify" their season and ranking. They beat up on the six easy teams, went 4-1 against the middle road teams barely beating Pitt and BYU, both of which should have been a far easier home wins, and then got blown out by TCU again at home. Now they have Boise State. Assuming BSU shows up better than Bama did, Utah can show they really are a top 25 team. This is their chance to shine. It would be real nice to leave the MWC by beating the new top dog. This is likely a "stay in the top 25" game. A win keeps them there. A loss, especially if it is like TCU, knocks them out. This is their chance!!

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 7:07 a.m.

You guys are read the future so well, you should play the PowerBall.

Utah will have their hands full for sure. But remember the Sugar Bowl. They were playing another angry, disappointed team then too. You just never really know. That's why they line up an play 'em.

Go Utes, Cougs, Frogs, Aztecs, Falcons. Let's win the conference Bowl thing again.

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    Dec. 7, 2010 7:11 a.m.

The Utes must fix the following problems.
    1. More speed in the running game. Use Asiata less and Wide, Dunn and Brooks more. Spread the Broncos out and use our speed guys for the corners and open areas. Asiata is to slow and predictable. He should get half the carries he normally gets.
    2.Cain should get his running shoes ready. Bring in more option plays and reverses to keep Boise honest.
    3.Trade our offensive coordinators for Boise's. They actually are creative and unpredictable with a game plan that looks like they put more than 10 minutes into it.
    4.If we cannot slow down Boise's passing game we do not have one chance in 100 of staying in this game. We must pressure Moore and the corners have to play better and break on the ball quicker and not wait for the pass to be completed before they decide to tackle the receiver. I would rather get beat by Boise with the run than the pass. Mix up the coverages and play 8 guys in the secondary more often. If they play zone they must play a match up zone and stay with the receiver.

• custer Boise, ID
    Dec. 7, 2010 7:26 a.m.

Remember this is the same Boise State team that defeated TCU last year in the Fiesta Bowl. The same TCU team that embarrassed the Utes this season and last.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 7:37 a.m.

Yes, we remember Alamaba. However, we also remember your last two games against TCU.

The Smurfs will put a world of hurt on the Utes. The Broncos are the ones that will be playing mad with a chip on their shoulder.

Maybe the Utes should do their black out thing. As in going to their own funeral.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 7:40 a.m.

Frankenberry,

Utah was on a roll in 2008, and you cannot say that about this current team. Also, Boise State has something to prove to the Big Dog leaving the conference they will be joining next year--they will play Utah tough. Alabama was disappointed to not be playing in the championship game in 2008, and they played that way. They felt it was an insult to play against one of the BCS busters. They did not prepare for the game. I am not saying that to take away from Utah's win, but it is the truth.

All that said, I will be cheering for the Utes. I think the Boise State fans need to learn what it is like to play in a tougher conference. They may be the second best team in the MWC after Nevada once the two teams join.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 7, 2010 7:42 a.m.

History shows the Utes to do very well in the bowl game and BSU to struggle in non-BCS games. I thoroughly expect the Utes to be ready and this to be a very good game.

Utah by 5

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 7, 2010 7:44 a.m.

This should be real fun to watch. Write it down.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 8:10 a.m.

My heart is with Utah

My sympathies with the Uties wearing rose colored glasses....

But my money is on BSU.....

This will be a kin to McMahon beat down of Utah

I predict 66-0!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 8:11 a.m.

Us byu cougers will easily win 12 games next year. We just added the awesome Idaho State for next year and they will be really good so when we beat them that will mean we are better than really good.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 8:18 a.m.

JNA,

I'm happy to oblige.

Let's go over the facts:

1. Boise State was clearly overrated
    2. Utah hasn't lost a bowl game since WWII(pretty close)
    3. Utah(unlike tds) actually knows how to get up for the biggest games(see 2 BCS wins)
    4. Utah(unlike tds) has athletes, not students who pretend to be athletes
    5. Whittingham is the best coach in the nation
    6. the MUSS
    7. Cain can scramble

You ready for this JNA....

Utah 34
    Boise 24

Yes - MARK THAT DOWN

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Dec. 7, 2010 8:53 a.m.

I would give utah a chance to win this game, but a very small one. Cain isn't good enough to beat Boise St. He will be pressured into making mistakes by a very tough Bronco defense. He was terrible against BYU. While BYU's defense is much improved from the beginning of the year, they aren't as good as Boise St.
    BSU 45
    utah 21

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 9:04 a.m.

Chris B

1. Utah proved to be the same.
    2. With the exception of the last 10 years, Utah pretty much hasn't been to a bowl game since WWII.
    3. How did that TCU game for for you?
    4. Lets see, a bunch of freshman and sophomores outplayed your athletic juniors and seniors, losing only by a blocked field goal. If that's what you call athletes, I'll take the students.
    5. I'm pretty sure Patterson, Peterson, Meyer, and Kelly just to name a few have Coach Whit beat.
    6. Yes, Utah does have the MUSS.
    7. Cain's going to need to, because he loves throwing those interceptions.

Utah 13
    Boise 52

Reality Check. Mark it down!

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 9:10 a.m.

@Really???

"Alabama was disappointed to not be playing in the championship game in 2008, and they played that way. They felt it was an insult to play against one of the BCS busters. They did not prepare for the game. I am not saying that to take away from Utah's win, but it is the truth."

Wrong.

Alabama used that as an excuse after they lost. Please go to "hulu" and watch the first part of the Utah/Alabama game. The announcers were clear in that Alabama was not taking Utah lightly and their coaches said their practices leading up to the Sugar Bowl were spirited and lively. Utah exploited Alabama's weakness, which was inability to defend against the no-huddle offense. Utah was up 21-0 by the time Alabama figured out how to adjust to it, and by then it was too late.

With this, I do think Boise St. will be a tough game for Utah, especially since Utah has not been able to stop a good passing game all season long. But we'll see.

• 42istheanswer SLC, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 9:24 a.m.

Hard game without Wynn. Good luck BSU, you've had a great season. GO UTES!

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 9:26 a.m.

If the Utes play really well this can be a tight game. If Nevada can beat them, the Utes can beat them. If the Broncos play a really great game it will be over by half time. I'm hoping for a 4th quarter nail biter like against my Cougars. Let's all get behind the Cougs and then the Utes. We can squabble next year just like old times.

• akk2602 Sandy, Ut
    Dec. 7, 2010 9:33 a.m.

I am so glad we are 10-2 playing Boise St and not 6-6 playing UTEP. We have a chance to beat a great team... if we don't there is no shame in that. Utah going to the PAC-12 is exciting. Playing good teams every week will be fun. Having a chance for the Rose Bowl and a BCS championship is exciting. I tire of the jealosy and hypocracy exibited by our rival fans. I am proud to be a UTE and have no need to troll their articles and give negative comments. Enjoy your independance... With your schedule you will always have a good record be proud. Go UTES!!! I'm proud of what you've accomplished!!!!

• Skierelmo Oakley, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 9:42 a.m.

A few points....

First. Anyone who honestly believes Bama threw in the towel before the game started obviously doesn't know any athletes... or sports in general for that matter.

Second. I blame the O.C.'s for Cains sub par performance in the BYU game... in a game of that magnitude you don't send a cold Qb out slinging... and you don't abandon your bread and butter (run game), especially when you just sent in an athlete who can run!!!

And finally...... Hey haters!!! Remember at the beginning of this year we were going to have at least four losses.... Remember when our bowl game streak was ending last year??? Or the year before that?? Keep hating, it works for the Utes!

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 9:55 a.m.

skierelemo,

Before you get too high on yourself bud, remember a few weeks ago when you were going to the national championship and your team was one of the "2 best in the nation"(see yewt captain zaney taylor). He'll defend that quote anytime he said.

Utah has had an impressive year overall with many beatdowns given(and a few taken), but the hypocrisy is hilarious as you quote a collective fan base and forget the foolish comment by your own captain.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Dec. 7, 2010 10:17 a.m.

Kyle's a class act and I respect the way he approaches every game and expresses his respect for programs, coaches and players.
    But this has beat down written all over it.
    Again, I wish they'd stop matching up teams from the same conferences or the same parts of the country like they did with BSU and TCU last year.
    This is a similar effort to avoid puting BSU against an Iowa or Florida State or Ohio State.
    All of which BSU would have won, IMO.
    I hope Utah is better next year when they come to the PAC or I'll catch alot of flac for bragging them up.
    But if anyone can re-load and re-build it's Kyle.

• NC FROGS 2010 Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 7, 2010 11:02 a.m.

Let's see, who is the only team to beat TCU in the last two years? Oh yeah, Boise State!

And, what has TCU done to the Utes that last two years? Oh yeah, major beat downs...this won't be pretty, but it will be enjoyable!

Utah's bowl history is mostly made up of wins over mediocre teams in mediocre bowls...except for 2004 when they beat a mediocre team in an exceptional bowl game! But you will always have the Sugar Bowl won't you?

• cougar4ever2 SLC, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 11:34 a.m.

Epic beatdown indeed. I really can not wait to see this happen, and then to hear all of the excuses for why it happened, because if there is one thing Utah is good at, it is making excuses. Jordan Wynn is both physically and mentally weak, and Terrance Cain will be picked off at least 4 times in this game. The QB situation at the U is a joke, and they all know it..the coaches, players, and fans. I would say they got just exactly what they deserved. Nuff said.

• Skierelmo Oakley, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 11:41 a.m.

Im not speaking on behalfof, or to any collective fan base.... except he haters, which I don't believe to wholly encompass any one fan base. I realize that not all of one teams fans are included in said group, nor are all fans in that group required to be fans who only fit a certain mold outside of it. I am pointing out that it is my assumption that the same people posting that BSU will beat the U by forty are probably the same that said Utah would lose to Cal, Bama, Pitt (twice), BYU, ISU, OSU..... The list goes on... For the record... I picked BYU to win their bowl game... because I feel no attachment to the hater brotherhood.

As far as Zane's statement..... I can't speak for him anymore than he can speak for me... or than Max Hall can speak for he Y fan base. College kids say things they shouldn't that's why so many coaches ban twitter and facebook.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 11:45 a.m.

Try a little trickery of our own. Remember the pass that Shaky Smithson threw a mile for a touchdown.
    Stops,turnovers, and trickeration will win the game for team that will use all three.

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 11:44 a.m.

Once again I will echo my previous post: I am glad that this game will be decided on the field of play by athletes, and not by online message board posters.

• Ute4life Sandy, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 12:34 p.m.

'cougar4ever'... you seem to have confused your fan base with ours. When Utah loses (rarely) they can own up to it. For example... TCU is a better team this year no question. ND outplayed the Utes in Southbend this year. Also... what does 'get what they deserved' mean? And one last thing... you must be really rich ... I mean having that crystal ball to predict an 'epic beatdown' and 4 picks by our QB. Is that the same crystal ball you used to predict the 'Quest for Perfection' and other huge ybu disappointment?

• teamnash Mesa, Az
    Dec. 7, 2010 12:37 p.m.

Utah has done well in bowl games and I hope they surprise me, but I just don't see them beating Boise.

• Juggernaut Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 1:00 p.m.

Hey cougar4ever, would 10 and 2 be getting what we deserved or 6 and 6 and getting beat by their rival with the qb situation being a "joke" be getting what we deserved. Utah never makes excuses dude. I can't wait to see the awesome new mexico bowl, that one is high on my list.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 1:11 p.m.

yewty4life and juggernut,

Yewties don't make excuses? It's just my imagination that for the past year we've been hearing how lucky byu was to win a close game in Provo against a freshman QB? Every post on these boards was about how lucky byu got to squeak out a win against a true freshman for months on end.

Yes, our crystal ball is off sometimes yewty4life, just as yours is(see NC Utes 2010 - where is he by the way? I'm starting to get worried). He ran his mouth for several months and then disappeared.

I also wonder what crystal ball captain zaney boy was looking at when he said the yewties were one of the two best teams in the nation?

It's embarassing when a fan says their team is top of the nation and they arent

Even more embarasssing when a player says it.

Even more embarassing when a captain says it.

Yewties have had overall an impressive year(clearly better than byu, yes, I have admitted it all year)

Let's not be childish though and for the nonsense by the yewties though too(including team captains)

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 1:10 p.m.

Best team from Utah playing the best team from Idaho with the game being played in Nevada. It certainly captures the region's interest and the nation will pay attention too as both teams were ranked in the top 5 during the season. One of the best bowl game matchups this year.

• Flame of the West The OC, CA
    Dec. 7, 2010 1:23 p.m.

Top 8 reasons why Utes are playing BSU in Vegas:

1) Chris B.
    2) Hedgehog
    3) Uteology
    4) SoCalUte
    5) Patriot
    6) NC 2010 Champions (deceased)
    7) afro14
    8) karma

Good luck Utes...you're gonna need it (again)!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 1:38 p.m.

Yes Flame,

And I'll be there cheering my UTES handle boise with relative ease.

Final Score will be
    Utah 34
    Boise 24

But it really won't be that close.

Remember the quick start against Alabama - deja vu.

Utah up 21-0 after Q1,

Mark that down

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 7, 2010 1:37 p.m.

Why cheer for the utes when they love to antagonize the Cougars? Especially when a huge majority of u fans take it even further and mock and belittle the LDS faith (the evidence was humungous at the game this year, especially with tailgaters).

This cougar wants nothing to do utah until the better U fans do something to clean up the loud majority of despicable U fans.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 1:55 p.m.

A little reality folks. Utah has NO chance of beating Boise St. Last year, TCU had a chance and in the end lost. This years Utes are not even in the same class as Boise State. They only beat a 6-6 BYU team because Bronco was not smart enough to kick a field goal earlier in the game or go for the logical 2 point conversion. If Utah can stay within 21 points of Boise St., they will be doing well.

• GOUTES! Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 2:15 p.m.

I hate Bronco fans more than any Cougar fan (true story). BSU fans possess the rare combination of being arrogant, unrealistic (You play in the WAC, you're not going to play for the NC, just like any MWC team) and outright cocky.

I haven't met a BSU fan that I can stand.

• Big Thunder Hurricane, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 2:39 p.m.

Hey look at it this way. The two best quarterbacks in Utah history will both be on the Sidelines coaching the Utes with a clipboard in their hands. That coaching must be worth 21 points in the 1st Quarter alone. Where are the last two BYU Quarterbacks? Might I say they are at least on NFL Rosters! But Being on Utahs sideline is just as good as the NFL.

Boise 42
    Utah 10

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 2:48 p.m.

cougar4ever2 | 11:34 a.m
    " I would say they got just exactly what they deserved. Nuff said."

What do they deserve.

Hopefully both teams leave their best on the field.
    ===

OK, that is just classless hate.

Critique the QB's. That is fair.

But predicting picks?

Come on...

• JMHO Kanab, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 3:23 p.m.

Laser made a comment "Especially when a huge majority of u fans take it even further and mock and belittle the LDS faith. I think he is mistaken since most Utah fans are probably of the LDS faith. Don't confuse the lack of respect for BYU's football team with a lack of respect for the LDS Church. I doubt any supreme being cares about the outcome of most football games. The fact that some (not all or any many) BYU fans try to demonize Utah fans adds to the flame. Anyway, I will be wearing my Devil colors (red) on the 22nd. Win or lose I will have a good time. I am betting on a win though.

• Thlete Draper, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 3:47 p.m.

Got my tickets, should be a fun game!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 4:05 p.m.

Once again the byu bitterness is oozing out all over this board! Go worry about UTEP. Geesh

Reality is, Boise is a great team. Are they beatable? YUP! I expect K whitt to prepare accordingly. Heck, they will even have a healthy QB.

Utes 34
    Boise 31

Boise, make sure you bring that kicker because that will be the difference in this one.

• asiata fan South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 7, 2010 4:56 p.m.

It seems as though the "hater" inside the Y fan has beat out the "supporter" in the Y fan. It would be a great thing for the Y fans to show their encouragement and support to their rival in such an EPIC game for the Utes. Just think, you could take credit for your part if the Utes win, and you could say that you wished them the best of luck if they lose.

Or just continue "hating" on the Utes. I think that in either case, your opponent in September will be more worthy in your eyes coming off a Boise State win, or you may feel more dominant going into that same September game with your more experienced team preparing to beat up on your favortie PAC 12 foe to the north.

UTAH 24 (3 tds and 1 fg)
    Boise State 20 (2 tds and 2 fgs)

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 5:03 p.m.

Dear GO UTES:

Sorry you feel that way. Would like to meet you in Vegas.

Personally, I don't know many Broncos fans who harbored realistic NC aspirations. It was a dream to be included in the conversations, though. I think they were deserving of that. A BSC bowl game expectation was reasonable too, until the Nevada loss.

To some, BSU fans may appear to be arrogant. I prefer to think of it as confidence and great pride in what our program has accomplished in a relatively short time and with very little resources. We have great respect for the Utes and what their football program has achieved. It's too bad the teams won't play in the same conference. Sad also that the Utes cancelled next year's return game in Boise, although I understand why it was done. This could have developed into a great regional rivalry.

Best wishes next year in the PAC 12. BSU would love to send the Utes out of the MWC with an appropriate departure gift.

Go Broncos!!!

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 7, 2010 5:27 p.m.

This coug fan wishes U good luck in the bowl.

I could see BSU falling flat on their face as they try to softly land from their NC aspirations two weeks ago.

I could also see BSU getting up to try and show the U that BSU deserved a look from the PAC-10.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Dec. 7, 2010 6:42 p.m.

@Ted H.

Every one makes a mistake, even Heaps when he said they'll go 10-0 after becoming a starter.

FYI... only one fan base wears "Perfection" t-shirts in the preseason and celebrates at airports for a 1-0 team.

Boise is a good team, while Utah has played mediocre the last five games. Utah still needs to prove that they are a top 15 team, Vegas is their last chance.

Go UTES!!!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 7, 2010 8:01 p.m.

Chris B is hilarious! Trying to remember Chris B's predictions from games with TCU and ND. Also trying to remember CB's pick in last years TCU/BSU bowl game?

Utah is not in BSU's league this year or last year. On the bright side 10 and 3 isn't too bad.

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    Dec. 7, 2010 8:06 p.m.

I'm a Ute fan but I have to admit that Boise is one heck of a good team. They are just like Utah but have taken winning to a new level. We both have beaten BCS teams when it mattered in the fight to destroy the good ole boy network of the BCS. The BCS is like communism.... The guys at the top get all the money and power. What happened to the survival of the fittest and we'll settle this fight on the field of battle. Boise is Utah and Utah is Boise. We should be brothers in the fight. I admire them and it is obvious this year that they are better than the Utes. They should beat the Utes but that is why they play the game. Peterson their coach has to be one the brightest minds in the coaching ranks. He has guts and puts it on the line.
    Should Boise be playing someone ranked around the top 10 instead of the top 20...you bet they should but the BCS like a corrupt union has the power and they protect their own because they don't want to be embarrassed by Boise

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Dec. 7, 2010 11:11 p.m.

@Uteology...

Is there any team in your life other than BYU?

Seriously, call yourself anti-Cougology.

You are not even a Utah fan.

The Majority of your posts are about BYU.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 9:50 a.m.

yewtology,

You seem like a decent person in your last post. "Everyone makes mistakes." Is that what you will say next time a byu player, fan, or coach makes a mistake?

There is another poster named uteology who does nothing but talk trash, but clearly there must be 2 uteologys.

Also, I believe heaps said "the plan is to win the next 10 games." Although not the best thing to say after a terrible start, not quite the same as declaring your team deserves to be in the national championship(for being a top 2 team) only 2/3 through the season and having a strenght of schedule somewhere around the national deficit amount. Isn't it "the plan" of any good program such as USC, Flordia, Ohio State, yewtah(yes I think yewtah has a great program), byu) to win all their games? Saying its the plan is not quite saying "We will win every game."

Again, I'm curious to see your next comment when a byu person "makes a mistake."

The self righteousness coming from the hill these days passes anything ever seen in Provo.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 8, 2010 3:50 p.m.

Eager just like moths to the flame.

• swaps Las Animas, CO
    Dec. 8, 2010 6:25 p.m.

We now know that Wynn was ailing the latter part of the season, but still the Ute defense fell apart. No excuses for the defense.

I want to see Utah win, but Terrence Cain will have to put aside any inner angst or feelings he has about being passed over and just pass over the BSU defenders.

When he came into the BYU game he was rusty but this time he will have had reps with the first team and he knows he has a lot of respect from the team and community behind him.

I also think that this year Nevada was and is the equal of BSU. Uta will give a comparison for how good these two WAC teams were.

• Sammyg2 springville, Utah
    Dec. 8, 2010 11:52 p.m.

i dont understand why its wrong to think your team is the best in the nation. What kind of fan are you if you want your team to go 8-4 obviously every fan wants their team to go undefeated and win the national championship so why not cheer for them to do so