Utah Utes football: Utes returning to Las Vegas Bowl for first time since 2001

Comments

• Ute_DanD West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 4:43 p.m.

Any word on an opponent?

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 4:44 p.m.

The LAS VEGAS BOWL. How humiliating. Hedgehog, ChrisB and the rest of the BYU-Haters must be wearing paper bags on their heads after what they spewed forth when it looked like BYU would be relegated to the same bowl for years to come while they went off to the PAC-12. There is poetic justice in this invitation for the BYU-haters. LoL!!!

From one BYU fan to the U ... Congratulations. I wish you well in your last opportunity to represent the MWC. I fully expect Coach Whit to continue the pattern of post-season success. I hope you get an east-coast opponent and thoroughly trounce them.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 5:02 p.m.

I thought the yewts hated the Las Vegas Bowl.. Based on what they've said in the past I have to wonder why they'd even accept an invitation to such a lowly Bowl?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 5:05 p.m.

Does an opponent even want to play?

The bowl win streak won't be ending any time soon.

Utah in a rout(over whoever)

Utah 38
    Team Whoever 10

Mark that down!

P.S. Enjoy New Mexico cewgies(I'd rather stay home for the holidays)

• Balan West Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 1, 2010 5:15 p.m.

Poetic justice.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 5:22 p.m.

Utah vs. Toledo.

Can't wait to get my tickets.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 1, 2010 5:34 p.m.

Nevada, Toledo, Ohio....these are the names being rumored.

I think most Ute fans see the Vegas Bowl as a great destination for MWC teams as it means you've either won the MWC or someone else in the conference went BCS and left you the spot. It's a good bowl in that situation. I'm excited to watch it, and I think it's great BYU has done so well at it.

Going forward, it means probably at least 5th place in the PAC-10, which won't be Utah's season goal--even if it's the season's result.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 1, 2010 5:52 p.m.

I hear Boise is in the mix....

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 5:56 p.m.

This is too funny!.....Is this the same Las Vegas Bowl the Ute fans were making fun of just a few months ago?...That it was BYU'S destiny every year! That their Football program was beyond such lowly Bowls?....Too funny!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 5:57 p.m.

Vegas Bowl -- another reason the MWC is on the way out. New Mexico Bowl -- yet another reason. Bummer. At least it allows for 15 more practices.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 5:59 p.m.

Yeah, baby! Going to the Vegas Bowl every few years is about right.

As a Ute fan I've realized that games are not handed to you on a silver platter, every win is earned. (And then, of course, sometimes magic happens.)

LV Bowl it is! I'll be there!

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Dec. 1, 2010 6:04 p.m.

Congratulations utes. Get used to this bowl, because that is where the 4th or 5th place team from the Pac 12 goes every year. That is where utah is going to finish year in and year out.

• rickski13 salt lake city, utah
    Dec. 1, 2010 6:16 p.m.

couldn't the vegas bowl invited their good friends byu?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Dec. 1, 2010 6:29 p.m.

Question for all you kewgs. What bowl can you tds look forward to in the future?

crickets crickets crieckets.

Yea, I know it's easier to rip on the Utes than to look at your own program. Then again, is it rally a program?

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Dec. 1, 2010 6:36 p.m.

BYU and the Las Vegas bowl are sick of each other. It's time for some new scenery, and Utah is a great pick. It's close enough to Salt Lake to get a good amount of fans and Utah is good enough to beat any team they face (although the same could be said for many, many teams; it just depends on how the team plays that day). Whether they win or not is up to them. I think they'll win (unless they play Boise State).

Although the LV bowl is the best non-BCS bowl a MWC team can get, I'm kind of glad BYU isn't going. Since I will likely go to the game, the New Mexico bowl wouldn't be too bad-- it's early enough that I can get it over with soon after finals and get a nice long, uninterrupted break.

• #1 Jazz Fan Springville, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 6:36 p.m.

Bowl streak started there, and there it will probably end, if they end up playing Boise St.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 7:36 p.m.

Nevada is going to the Maaco Bowl and will beat Utah more than if Boise State was the opponent. Mark that down Chrissy.

Nevada 44
    Utah 12

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 1, 2010 7:59 p.m.

Glad to see little brother (BYU fans) are out trolling once again on stories about the U of U. I would hate it if there was nowhere for you to spout your jealousy.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 8:10 p.m.

Pebble Of The Marne

lol, your BYU obsession is showing.

Instead of talking about Utah's invite to the LV bowl and the Utes' possible opponent, your only concern is whining about BYU fan.

Once a little brother, always a little brother.

Now tell us how excited U are to be playing in the LV bowl.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 8:25 p.m.

Live Hard

You must be projecting your inner Wyoming ineptness Live Hard. Rooting for the Cowboys is taking its toll.

Even with a mediocre 6-6 record, the independent Cougars won't have any trouble getting into a bowl game EVERY year; and those down years will be few and far between.

No worries. BYU will be playing in bowls every year for years to come.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Dec. 1, 2010 9:30 p.m.

These Kewgs really crack me up.

Bowl payout:

New Mexico: $750,000

Las Vegas: $1,000,000

• johnyutah St. George, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 9:47 p.m.

Hey Cougar Fans go ahead and run your mouths that the Utes are headed to Vegas because your going to the New Mexico Bowl... Joke's on you :)

• WSU Cougar Alpine, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 9:50 p.m.

As a Fan, I for one am delighted to be playing in the Las Vegas Bowl. Traveling to the other Bowls was expensive, a real hassle and is difficult to schedule with Christmas.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 10:13 p.m.

The Utes will become the "Perennial Princess" of the Las Vegas Bowl. This IS poetic justice.

I hope Nevada gets the invite and beats the tar out the Utes this year. It would be a good game no doubt.

If Boise comes (which I doubt) that would be perfect punishment for the Utes cancelling the games previously scheduled between these two.

Seeing the Utes losing this last game of the season would be a grand finale for this "bitter and jealous" Cougar fan.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Dec. 2, 2010 12:17 a.m.

Sammyg,

Utah is committed to playing 9 PAC-12 opponents next year, leaving 3 open dates for non-conference games.

They owe Pitt a game in their home-and-home arrangement.

Utah cancelled their BSU games to keep the BYU rivalry game going. They could have kept their BSU agreement AND played in LES, but that would have given them 7 road games and only 5 home games. Most programs wouldn't agree to that.

I hope the opponent isn't Boise State or Nevada. In the eyes of most of the nation, it would be another year (see BSU vs. TCU in the last 2 bowl seasons) of non-BCS teams playing each other - the football version of the kids-table at Thanksgiving.

Even with last week's loss, Boise State deserves a shot at a school from a more prestigious conference than the MWC.

Utah would be the underdog to either BSU or Nevada, so extending their bowl-winning streak would be very challenging. But hey, that's why they play, right - to see how they measure up against good opponents?

I'm hoping to see the Utah-Iowa State team, not the Utah-TCU version!

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 12:18 a.m.

SoCalUtahFan

So a 10-2, top 25 season gets U a paltry $250,000 more than a mediocre 6-6 season.

Impressive.

BYU will make almost $1 million in their opening game as an independent, and the Cougars won't have to share a dime of that.

Enjoy cracking yourself up.

• Sammyg2 springville, Utah
    Dec. 2, 2010 12:50 a.m.

What i really mean is i cant stand for Utah to be better than my kewgs so my only choice is to try to convince myself that just because the scoreboard said utah won doesnt mean they did

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 1:37 a.m.

Does anyone else find it ironic and/or hypocritical that cougar fans are ripping on the Las Vegas bowl after having been excited to play there as the 2nd or 3rd place team from the MWC over the past several years?

I'm hoping that Utah gets quality opponent, and to those that believe that the Utes would get stomped by such an opponent, remember that somehow, no matter who the opponent is, Coach Whittingham prepares his team very well and as a result, they play a very good game in the post season.

A BCS bowl it ain't, but i won't cry over an 11-2 season.

GO UTES!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Dec. 2, 2010 6:48 a.m.

Bring on BSU!!!

• JMT Springville, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 8:01 a.m.

I'd love to see Utah play Nevada, though not Boise St. I don't think Utah can beat Boise St and overall wouldn't help the whole bragging issue. I think Nevada is a better matchup for Utah. And yes, Nevada beat Boise St but it is all about matchups.

As for BYU going to New Mexico, good for them! No shame at all. Just a month ago BYU was looking to only win a few games this season, now a bowl game. For the team with lots of 18 year olds playing, this is a great chance to improve themselves going into next years big season.

BYU is likely going to have their toughest schedule ever next year, and having a rough season this year as a warm-up is just fine.

I hope both BYU and Utah dominate and TCU gets a shot at a national championship. Auburn should be dumped for paying their quarterback more than Mississippi State offered.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 2, 2010 8:14 a.m.

This Coug fan congratulates UU. Congrats on the win last week and the invite to LV this week.

I hope you make it 10 bowls in a row in LV. Good luck and best wishes in the PAC-10 next season.

Look for me in my BYU gear at the next ASU-UU football game in Tempe. That is the cost of losing a bet on the game last week. Be nice please. Knowing my creditor, I will be sitting in the visiting UU section.

• Pete Queen Creek, AZ
    Dec. 2, 2010 8:34 a.m.

Apparently there are a few Ute fans who have forgotten their disdain for the LV Bowl. It sounds like now they are going to a National Championship game. Like it is the best bowl game ever. There is no bowl game better than the LV Bowl. Good one.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 8:41 a.m.

Hey, Facer, I don't quite understand how it's possible to "return for the first time."

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 8:52 a.m.

Future byu bowl tie-ins: the Provo bowl.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 9:06 a.m.

I don't see the BYU fans ripping on the Las Vegas Bowl; I see them ripping Utah fans for their last six years of utter hypocrisy.

The Vegas bowl was dog meat until Utah lost to TCU. Now suddenly, Vegas is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Personally, I liked the Vegas bowl as far as location. Easy to get to; decent competition.

If it wasn't played in such a dumpy little stadium and wasn't run like a Las Vegas infomercial, it could be a better bowl than the Holiday Bowl.

Utah fans are hoping for Boise State. Be careful what you wish for. Utah's bowl winning streak will be history if the Utes play the Broncos.

Wynn's confidence heading into the PAC 12 would be shattered.

• Disco Vega MoTown, CA
    Dec. 2, 2010 9:18 a.m.

I am proud of our Utes...Las Vegas Bowl will be great and the Utes will make it 11 consecutive bowl wins...the longest in the nation...impressive. I hope they play Boise, that will show everyone just how powerful the Utes program really is when the Ute's blow them out 38-10. Go Ute's!! You are God's Team! Make Us Proud!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Dec. 2, 2010 9:51 a.m.

yarrlydarb,

Of course it's possible to "return for the first time." That means you have been "there" twice. Any visit to a location, other than the first visit, is a "return."

If that's too complicated for you, then maybe you should back away from the keyboard and just read for a while.

• BYU#1 Visalia, CA
    Dec. 2, 2010 10:10 a.m.

I guess kyle whittingham is going to regret his comments about Las Vegas and the Las Vegas Bowl for years. AHHH, the poetic justice. I can see utah in the Vegas Bowl for years to come, if they can win 6 or 7 games.

• TheNun Tooele, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 10:35 a.m.

To Blame it on the officials,

The only reason the U accepted the Vegas Bowl was so BYu has to go elsewhere, as in New Mexico to play the always dangerous Miners from UTEP. Nice!

I guess the Park City Miners were busy that weekend.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Dec. 2, 2010 10:37 a.m.

Yes, I realize some Utes fans have disdain for the Vegas bowl but, I'm excited. It's a destination I can afford and I like going to Vegas in general.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 2, 2010 10:44 a.m.

The Vegas bowl is awaiting the outcome of the UW-WSU game. If UW wins, they will be bowl eligible at 6-6 and be a worthy pac10 opponent for the U.

I think BSU would be tourqued if they went to the Vegas bowl.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 10:59 a.m.

Hope the opponent is Nevada. Utah would beat them soundly as they have a great run defense.

Boise State could end our current bowl winning streak.

Fingers crossed that we get Nevada.

And why are there so many cougar fans on this board? Do you all want to become utes too? You´d have to work hard and maybe move out of your mom´s basement, but if you´re willing to step up and show a little more class, we would welcome you and forgive your past. We understand that a lot of bad judgment comes from immaturity, but we are willing to look past that.

Go UTES!

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Dec. 2, 2010 12:36 p.m.

About time to get used to go to the Vegas Bowl, you utes fans.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Dec. 2, 2010 1:31 p.m.

Hey, Hedgehog! Your "computer" must be working now. I'm still waiting for your insightful breakdown of your ewts' meltdown against TCU and the nat'l power Notre Dame? You seem to have such "good" insights to our might Cougar program. Oh, please enjoy that nice pay-out that the LV Bowl provides. Just a little less than a BCS bowl, huh? You asked about what bowls we, Coug fans, can look forward to? I'll turn that around and say unless your ewts during your own "game" around, the big boys of the Pac 12 will definitely take care of business! Enjoy the LV Bowl-- cha, ching?

• Utah Alum Orem, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 2:58 p.m.

wwookie

"...why are there so many cougar fans on this board?"

Do you even understand how ironic that question is coming from someone who spams every BYU article?

...

The Utes should enjoy the Las Vegas bowl, easy to get to and a fun destination; but they'd better hope they don't have to play Boise State if they want to keep that bowl winning streak alive. Boise State's defense would have Wynn so flustered he'd be lucky to survive the 1st quarter.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Dec. 2, 2010 4:48 p.m.

As a die hard Cougar fan, why on Earth would I want to see Utah defeated in any bowl? I want Utah to do awesome in the Las Vegas Bowl and in the PAC 12, I want BYU to do awesome as an independent. If Utah does well it brings attention to the State of Utah plus millions of dollars of revenue to the school, if BYU does well it brings great attention to the State of Utah and millions in revenue to the school.As a matter of fact, I want USU to get going and make some bowl appearances as well. The only time I will NOT be pulling for the Utes or the Aggies is on the day they play the Cougars.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 2, 2010 8:40 p.m.

Ute Fans, Enjoy the last bowl game that you will see for awhile. I hope you play Nevada and they work you like they worked BYU and Boise St.

Enter the Pac-whatever with your last game as a loss. The bowl win streak ends in Vegas. Mark it down.(Yes, I can make excellent predictions too.)

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 2, 2010 8:45 p.m.

Utah 17, Whoever they play, more than 17.

@Chris - Utah 38???. the same team that came up with 20 points in two games against .500 teams! Who is the homer now?

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Dec. 2, 2010 8:50 p.m.

wwookie one of the funniest comments I have ever seen on the boards

• Texas Ute Fan Austin, Texas
    Dec. 2, 2010 11:05 p.m.

sammyg | 10:13 p.m. Dec. 1, 2010
    Springville, UT

Hey Sammy, at least you admit that you are a "bitter and jealous" Cougar fan.

You should be bitter and jealous--BYU 6-6 and unranked. U of U 10-2 and ranked #20 in the only poll that counts. Poor Zoobs!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Dec. 3, 2010 12:39 a.m.

JNA,

You, my friend, have more insight and maturity than most of us on these boards.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 3, 2010 9:40 a.m.

"#20 in the only poll that counts"

Unless you're in contention for a BCS bowl, the BCS poll is meaningless.

Since #16 in the BCS ranking is the official cutoff for BCS bowl eligibility, all a #20 ranking does for Utah is make the Utes officially NOT ELIGIBLE for a BCS bowl.

At least being ranked #14 in the BCS poll at 10-2 last made BYU officially eligible for a BCS bowl.

BYU fans are anything but bitter and jealous of a team that fell from 5th in the BCS to completely off the radar in two weeks.

The only polls that count as far as season-ending rankings are the AP and the Coaches polls, in which the Utes are currently ranked #21.

About where BYU finished in 2008 in what Utah fans characterized as a disasterous season for BYU.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 3, 2010 2:08 p.m.

Before people start beating the BSU drum, the vegas bowl has a tie with the Pac10. Arizona State won last night to become bowl eligible. If UW wins tomorrow, they also become bowl eligible at 6-6. That means that the Vegas bowl would/could take UW or ASU...both teams would be 6-6.

I think those are more likely opponents for the U.

• bigdaddyak Anchorage, AK
    Dec. 3, 2010 2:27 p.m.

Utah vs Nevada would be an interesting matchup and would make the Utes only a slight underdog. If it's Boise St that gets invited then they can kiss their bowl streak goodbye.

I guess most Ute fans are praying for Toledo or Ohio so they can keep their streak going another year.

• IdahoAl Kuna, Idaho
    Dec. 3, 2010 2:38 p.m.

Arizona State is not bowl eligible, unless they get a waiver from the ncaa. Portland St and N Arizona do not count as wins...

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2010 4:34 p.m.

Only thing worse than playing in the vegas bowl is....

playing in the Rice Bowl!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 3, 2010 4:38 p.m.

My bad on the ASU info. Sorry bout that.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 5, 2010 11:29 a.m.

And guess what - if they're real lucky - Utah might be in the Vegas Bowl next year. How cool would that be??