Utah

Mormon, Catholic cooperation making strides

Comments

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:50 a.m.

We are more alike with our faith, the Catholics and Mormons, than people realize. I entreat the followers of each faith to attend the other's services, and enjoy the spirit that is felt in both places. It's really a blessing to know of both religions, as well as others. Once we understand each other, much good can happen with relationships.

• jaredc Kearns, UT
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:52 a.m.

Great article. I hope we can all continue to work together for the common good of mankind. I love my LDS and Catholic friends!

• Reverend Ike West Algiers, LA
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:08 a.m.

Both faiths are very much alike in how their respective members are asked to conduct their lives - strong emphasis on family and helping those less fortunate.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    Nov. 28, 2010 11:32 a.m.

Growing up in the South Georgia, some classmates for whom I had highest respect and admiration (because they seemed to be trying to live Christ-like lives, more than most) were Catholic.

Now, as an adult Mormon, I share that same respect and common goal with Catholic friends I meet whereever I may be living. Some of us have continued our communication through the years; I think, because of our common outlook on many fronts and our love, appreciation, and respect for the good we see in each other, and in our beliefs.

• beatrice Beaverton, OR
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:23 p.m.

Please re-read what was written: "The stunning St. Peter's Basilica symbolizes more than a worldwide faith and likewise, the Salt Lake Temple represents more than an international landmark. Two distinct structures, two different doctrines."

Caring for humanity is most certainly a common
    desire. BUT...the doctrines are not the same
    as was stated here. They will never ''come
    closer" in doctrine...but can certainly work
    with each other in Community Affairs...
    all religions and those without religion
    can work together.

• donn layton, Ut
    Nov. 28, 2010 12:46 p.m.

A miracle in Ethiopia, a book by Richard Solberg lists the agencies involved mainly,Catholic charities active in 118 countries and The Lutheran world federation over 100 Lutheran church bodies active in 93 countries. The Mormon Church is not listed in the agencies list, but their 6 million dollars donation was really publicized,they got their moneys worth.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 28, 2010 5:46 p.m.

So what's your point donn? The LDS Church has provided help in many countries where it was needed over the years.

Those who cry loudest against churches who donate to the cause are typically those who don't donate a penny themselves.

• Curtis Hight Anchorage, AK
    Nov. 28, 2010 5:50 p.m.

A Catholic neighbor in Anchorage, Alaska made a donation to my mission, and while serving in Haarlem, Netherlands (19831985) my companions and I rented a room in the personal apartment of a Catholic gentleman. He made sure we were out working and told of us of a time when previous missionaries were renting from him: and when they came in early one day and explained that it was raining, he looked outside and saw that it wasn't raining very hard so he kicked them out and told them to go back to work! Another time he had gone out to a local interfaith meeting, and with great sweetness and delight he told us, that when he had introduced himself prior to speaking at a round table he'd emphasized that he was "ROMAN Catholic" as a way of letting the liberal theologians know where his allegiance was, and then, at one point, when he was through making a point he proceeded to say something like "oh, and this is how the Mormon's view the issue..." and then explained it, which brought even more disapproving looks!

• IndependentLiberal Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 29, 2010 10:04 a.m.

They dont even come close to each other in their respective theologies, but they do share a right-wing triad agendaanti-gay, anti-abortion, and anti-evolution. In this goes the old adage, The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

• LDS Revelations Sandy, UT
    Nov. 29, 2010 10:10 a.m.

I'm encouraged by the movement on the part of the LDS Church towards better relations with the Catholic Church. This is a long time in coming and a quite a ways from the LDS view of the Catholic Church over it's history. The Church has a long history of identifying the Catholic Church as the great and abominable church and it was even taught when I was raised Mormon (70s-80s). Fortunately it appears that teaching has largely been dropped and perhaps this makes for a better environment for repsect.

I must admit though that I worry that this new found closeness between the LDS Church and Catholic churches has more to do with their common goal of blocking gay marriage than any real increase in respect for each others theology. And because I disagree with them both on this issue I find this 'partnership' a little unfortunate. IMO both churches are holding onto beliefs that are harmful and archaic. Birds of a feather, I suppose.

• Vanka Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 30, 2010 8:35 a.m.

Mormons and Catholics getting along as friends... you gotta' love it!

Now if the Mormons would just remove the horrible, condemning words from their scriptures:

You and your missionaries (and every member is a missionary) say you "love" us and are reaching out to us in the spirit of "love".

But your official scriptures say my religion is "all wrong", that the beliefs of my Church - its "creeds" are "an abomination" in God's sight, that my pastors, professors, and teachers (including my father) are "all corrupt; that: 'they draw near to [God] with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof."

You and your missionaries come to my house and post on these boards, NOT out of "love", but in the spirit of "missionary work", which is fundamentally about trying to convince us of the above horrible, hateful things about all other religions!

How shall we believe you and your fellow LDS members?

• Elder Dave Livermore, CA
    Nov. 30, 2010 6:44 p.m.

To Vanka,

The quote that you refer to is What JESUS SAID
    to the boy prophet according to the account of the
    First Vision. Joseph Smith was just the Reporter,
    NOT the author of the words.

When was the last time you personally asked God, Himself, about whether or not Jesus Said those words you apparently don't like? According to the First Vision account God, the Father, was right there with Jesus when the words were said.

God Bless you in your pursuit of really finding out the Truth.

• Anthracite Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2010 9:07 p.m.

Vanka, I would tell you how you should believe, but I'm afraid I'm a bit unqualified. You see, as a member of a non-Catholic faith, I am "in a gravely deficient situation in comparison with those who, in the Church, have the fullness of the means of salvation," according to Pope Benedict XVI in the document Dominus Iesus. So how could I be in a position to tell you what to believe?

Really, it doesn't bother me what the Pope says about my faith, because I don't answer to him. I suggest you get rid of your insecurities regarding what other faiths say about yours.