BYU football: Craig Thompson letter says replay officials in BYU-SDSU game 'weren't sufficiently aggressive'

Comments

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 6:44 p.m.

Obviously this was a fumble, get over it, move on, who cares anymore...GO UTES!!

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 7:00 p.m.

Awesome, SDSU is sending letters to BYU?

Send your letters to the MWC and while we are all sending letters and consulting lawyers, let's review every call that was ever made in error that should have been reversed, but wasn't.

I think I want to have the SDSU fumble looked at again. I want the facemask, that wasn't, reviewed. I want this call and that call reviewed and I want that university to forfeit the game.

The problem with all this, is some official will try and make some bogus call against BYU in order to redeem this apparent mistake.

Oh, and I want the SDSU game plan reviewed. I want the the entire league reviewed!

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 7:14 p.m.

I agree with Wallbanger. It was a fumble. It's also sour grapes by SDSU.
    I like how SDSU glosses over the fact that these are MWC hired employees.
    It's not like it was the last play of the game...
    SDSU was thoroughly outplayed the entire game anyways.
    You lost. Deal with it.
    Best of luck to the Cougs and Utes this weekend...

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 7:31 p.m.

SDSU still has a chance to win the conference with both Utah and TCU on the schedule in coming weeks. Instead of showing incredible unsportmanship by divulging the crews names in the media and airing private conversations, SDSU should be moving forward with their season trying to make the best of it. What they have done instead is shown an incredible lack of class for a University.

• Chad S Derby, KS
    Nov. 2, 2010 7:51 p.m.

Unbelievable that "private" letters from the MWC to SDSU continue to get published all across the land. Why won't the MWC protect the privacy of its officials? Because they want to smear BYU with this non-scandal. What a bunch of poor losers.

• Absolute Truth Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:03 p.m.

Well, being an avid Ute fan, if I were in the replay booth during a Ute game, like Bunn and Moon were, I might have not shown the clear video to the head replay official either. But, that doesn't make it right. Rules are rules - they clearly had conflict of interest and changed the game outcome.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:05 p.m.

"While the MWC found no malfeasance by the officials, all three were suspended because they did not aggressively find all the evidence from live TV feeds in the play."

In other words, nobody cheated, the officials simply botched the call.

The replay officials missed the fumble.

The on-field officials missed the facemasking.

Bottom line, two sets of mistakes cancelled each other out and yielded a fair result.

Time for SDSU to stop whining and move on.

You were outplayed the entire game and lost fair and square.

Get over it!

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:08 p.m.

What I find really sad is that SDSU is so desperate for a "W" in the win/loss column, that they are willing to beg for a BYU forfeit to get it. Come on, Boosters. Have a little self respect.

Maybe BYU should just let the little whiners have it. It's not like the win is really going to help this year anyway.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:26 p.m.

I just replayed the fumble five times. Yes!!! There was a facemask--(no call) just before the fumble. Why does'nt San Diego protest that one? It's there and no call. The TV commentator even mentioned it! He really did! He called it a double facemask. Should have been a fifteen yard walk off. I honestly don't know why it's mentioned.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:28 p.m.

oops! not mentioned.

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:38 p.m.

Hoe about a new NCAA rule that states that if a missed call is seen on the replay, it can then be called. That would add a bit of hesitation to relying always in the replay cameras. It's funny that SDSU boosters make such a big deal of this when the obvious cause of the fumble was the sudden illegal upward movement of the ball-carrier's head (a botched and missed call). It's also funny that they willingly ignore the botched fumble that earlier went SDSU's direction. These boosters need to find better things to do with their time.
    What really surprises me is that the MWC lets all this slander and obvious break of their own protocol go on, when they were so quick to jump on and sanction BYU players last year whennthey criticized Air force's cheap but legal blocking tactics. Total double standard by the MWC.

• RBC Cody, WY
    Nov. 2, 2010 8:48 p.m.

If SDSU were the better team on that particular day they would have won the game regardless of this fumble. In every game there are calls that should not have been made and others that were missed. Folks just take it in stride. The problem here is that the MWC continues to allow "private" letters to become public--in violation of there own policy--all to the maligning of BYU. Without question it was a blown call by the replay officials. But the MWC is handling this in a way that makes BYU look bad. And they are doing it on purpose. In the eyes of Craig Thompson and the conference the Utes leaving was understandable with the Pac 10 being such a big fish. But they interpet BYU's leaving as arrogant and a rejection of the Mt. West Conference. So this is their chance to get back at the Cougars--and that's just what they are doing.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:00 p.m.

The refs blew BYU's fumble.

They also blew the SDSU facemask!

One may have resulted in the difference in a game.

One could have resulted in how well attached a players head was to his body.

Would there even have been a fumble if they didn't literally try to rip JJ's head off? Probably not.

SDSU fans, go cry to your moms. If you wanted to win the game, you should have tried to do it by a method other than a facemask.

• USNGary West Jordan, ut
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:24 p.m.

who cares about the call, yes it is obviously a blown call, EVERYONE knows this. EVERYONE also knew in 1990 or 91 that Colorado was given a 5th down to win a game and tied for the National Championship so obviously no one cares about blown calls.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:36 p.m.

I want TCU's 50-51 victory over BYU in 2007 turned over. I saw a photo in the paper that showed it was a fumble, not a touchdown in overtime. I demand justice. My letters will go out tomorrow.

• dlh Fallbrook, CA
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:37 p.m.

I chuckled the first time I heard the term "Wahz-tecs" but now I am starting to take it seriously. Does anyone remember 24 first downs to 12, 45 minutes of possession to 15? Quit acting like you deserved to win! Bad call. Why did you not step up and stop the cougs from scoring 5 plays later. It is not like no one else has stopped them this year. Get over it.

• Clear Thinker Draper, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:44 p.m.

To absolutle truth: Did it change the outcome? In the 3rd quarter hard to make that argument. Many calls or non-calls may be pivot points, but you like SDSU automatically assume that the outcome would have been changed. The absolute truth is that you have too many biases to present an absolute truth. Work on the biases or change the display name.

• HornedfrogforLife Fort Worth, TX
    Nov. 2, 2010 9:59 p.m.

As an outsider, I have to say, yes it was a fumble, but clearly a facemask which. Both calls should have been made. The facemask was first, if I understand things correctly it should have been a penalty on SDSU.

SOoooooo, why is SDSU still begging. Is my logic correct here or am I missing something???

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 10:08 p.m.

Just my uninformed opinion ...

Ref's have done make-up calls since the dawn of sports. When the head guy (from Nevada) saw the facemask and the fumble was obscured he saw enough. He didn't request any other views because he wasn't about to reverse the call on the field having seen the facemask just prior to the fumble.

Technically, the only thing that could be overturned was the fumble. Morally, the correct call was to leave it alone because of the facemask.

Spirit of the law vs. letter of the law.

Spirit of the law won this time and justice was served.

SD boosters, please stop embarrassing yourselves. Show some self restraint and understand just how petty you make yourselves and your program look.

• Clear Thinker Draper, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 10:22 p.m.

Hornedfrog your logic is correct, but most posters are not interested in logic nor is SDSU.

• OU812 Layton, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 11:06 p.m.

Actually, as a Cougar fan, most of you cougars are embarrassing. The face mask has nothing to do with the replay. And claiming such shows your idiocy. It was a missed call on the field with full speed action, a part of football. A screw up in the booth, of which everyone saw, has nothing to do with the game. The booth is outside the game with slow motion cameras. U are trying to justify people not doing their job with a missed call on the field. SDSU has every right to write letters of complaint.

Incompetence (in the booth) is not the same as human error (on the field)!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Nov. 2, 2010 11:07 p.m.

It's like they're the boosters from East Dillon High.

SD boosters: focus on the rest of your season. If your team was so good and deserving, they would have slaughtered my struggling Cougars.

• labocadelpozo Provo, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 11:17 p.m.

So how does writing a letter to Pres. Samuelson accomplish? What's he going to do about it? That seems like an absurd response.

• Th Tooele, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 11:50 p.m.

Tired of hearing about this. BYU's defense played exceptionally well that day.

Was it a fumble? Yes! Would have SDSU won had the right call been made? Who the heck knows! BYU was ahead at the time. BYU might have changed their defense had they turned the ball over.

SDSU is bitter and rightfully so. I'd be ticked about the call to if it were my team, but theres just nothing you can do.

Go Utes. Good luck cougs

• sbc Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:12 a.m.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is the ref's whistle. If I remember correctly, if the whistle is blown it doesn't matter if there was a fumble or not. The ball is dead. That is the first thing I thought of when it was ruled not a fumble, that the whistle was blown before the fumble. Oh, and by the way, I have seen some comments that this changed the results of the game. You forgot to add "maybe" changed the game. Maybe BYU would have created their own turnover on the next play making it first and goal!

• CanuckFan Vancouver, BC
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:22 a.m.

Facemask ..... irrelevant
    Close game ... irelevant

What really matters is if the two techs colluded in some way to withhold feed from the third decision maker. The apparent evidence of the content of the MWC letters and "heresay" comments from the replay guys seems to suggest that is was a mistake, not an intentional withholding of "evidence".

If a mistake, everyone should just move on. If the action was intentional (and so far there is no evidence to suggest it is), then it would hypothetically put BYU in an awkward position saying they aren't accountable for MWC employees, when some of them have direct connections with the school as employees. Another reason why you don't want anyone with connections to your team being involved with judging the game in any way.

• stonewall Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:31 a.m.

Look, I understand the complaint, SDSU. If I was in their shoes, I would've been upset. I mean, I as a BYU fan felt a little sick about it when it happened. It cast a shadow over what should have been a proud and crucial victory for the program, especially considering the downward spiral we were in. I feel bad the replay was so grossly botched, but I don't think anyone's argument against BYU can actually rest on the premise that San Diego State deserved to win or that a perfectly officiated game would have been to their benefit. I saw no camera view that showed that fumble Van Noy recovered was out of bounds, and there was a facemask on that play as well. Other than that, BYU outplayed them. So I would challenge any SDSU fan or booster not to say that they were the victim of a botched review, but that they actually deserved the win based on fairness. Good luck with that

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    Nov. 3, 2010 6:28 a.m.

If I ever get so emotionally invested in my favorite team's success that I start writing multiple letters to the opposing schools' presidents protesting perceived on-field injustices, someone please remind me to re-evaluate my priorities in life.

Though I have to admit, a good hissy fit is doggone entertaining to watch from afar. Boo hoo, SDSU fans; boo hoo.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Nov. 3, 2010 6:57 a.m.

Come on Kewgs, you know how it feels to be the victim. How about a little sympathy.

• Max Syracuse, NY
    Nov. 3, 2010 6:58 a.m.

This really does not look good. It reminds me of when Utah played at Arizona a few years ago and a big Arizona booster was a ref in that game. He called a clear Utah touchdown as being out of the endzone. This cost Utah the game. I really doubt it was his intent to cheat, but he was following his heart instead of his head and he should not have been a ref in that game. I think the same thing may have happened here. No intent, but the heart ruled. If it had been an SDSU fumble, my guess is that the video crew would have found a way to be more aggressive in getting those feeds to the ref on the field.

• Kameron South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:25 a.m.

Commissioner getting in his last digs before they leave the conference. Commissioner now hates bYU and Utah for leaving. Had he worked harder years ago, both may have stayed. Can only sit on your hands for sp long.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:37 a.m.

What I find most shocking is that 3 people actually care about San Diego State.

• dumprake Toquerville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:52 a.m.

What a waste of time and venom. Blown calls occur in every football game, every week. To pretend that in sports there is going to be complete perfection and no wrong calls by officials is bizarre. It's becoming increasingly obvious that SDSU has some agenda other than "justice" in the vendetta against BYU. It's time someone call them on their intellectual dishonesty. Move on, get over it, it's a game from crying out loud.

• Big R La Palma, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:03 a.m.

As I said before...SDSU has boosters? You'd never know it by looking at their facilities and crowds. I'll bring the cheese to the next game I go to.

• Big Ben 2.0 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:15 a.m.

Just an honest question,

What if the roles were 100% switched (SDSU wins game, SDSU player fumbles, BYU player recovers, etc etc.)

Would BYU fans be saying so adamently that "bad calls happen every game, get over it!"?

• cougar76 Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:17 a.m.

"...not sufficiently aggressive.." describes Thomson's whole term as MWC president.

• Speed_Altitude Centerville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:20 a.m.

Time for the MWC to take charge of the situation and quit pandering to a bunch of wealthy crybabies. I don't like BYU but I think I like SDSU less after this whinefest. This situation also shows the ineptitude of the MWC. Glad the Utes are leaving. Poor TV deal and poor leadership.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:26 a.m.

Looks like this is clear evidence the MWC threw the communicator and technician "under the bus" to protect its replay official. Suspending all three for what was clearly the replay official's stubbornness and insistence that he had it when other replay views were offered. Another great job by the MWC.

• Logicalperson Alpine, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:40 a.m.

I'm finding by their comments that BYU fans cannot tell the difference between a "blown call" and cheating. Perhaps an analogy would help: an auditor is sent to a bank because there is a report that Mr. Jones stole money from Mr. Smith, he is given two assistants, one of which works for Jones and another is a long time friend of Jones. The auditor announces that he sees no evidence that Jones stole from Smith. At least one and possibly both of the assistants are aware of a video which shows Jones taking cash from Smith's safe deposit box, but say nothing.
    1. Did they act in an honest manner?
    2. Does it matter less if Jones already had more money than Smith?
    3. Does anyone really believe that they would have kept quiet if it was Smith stealing from Jones?

SDSU did not play well and deserved to lose that game. However, there is certainly strong evidence that BYU's win was aided by something very fishy in the replay booth. The win does not pass the "smell" test.

• Waylon77 Logan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:41 a.m.

Well they are obviously not running the replay booth correctly and this incident has helped that to come to light. I think it is idiotic that the mountain network can find the best camera angle for the play in 10 seconds, but the replay officials can't just grab the first one they can find and run with it. Maybe they should just watch the game and go with what the announcers see. They would probably get more calls right that way.

• Rexburg Reader Rexburg, ID
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:55 a.m.

Big Ben 2.0, You make a good point. BYUs fans would be severely ticked if the roles were reversed. And in fact there have been times when it appeared BYU had legitimate gripes about calls not going its way. In those instances, weeping and wailing could be heard up and down Utah Valley.

However, what I find disturbing are the insinuations out there - like from the SD radio guy - that this is some kind of Mormon conspiracy. I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if BYU forfeited this game, but don’t try to turn this into a modern-day Mountain Meadows Massacre controversy.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 10:02 a.m.

Something smells...

There are missed calls in all sports all the time - it's the human element that makes it a sport.

What makes this case different is it appears that the "missed call" seems to be not just missed but deliberately misled.

I'm not saying byu was behind the blown call but perhaps the people involved had their own motivation being either alumni or residents of Provo.

I have no idea what should be done about this I don't the game's outcome can changed but perhaps it needs to be addressed further rather than dismissed.

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 10:03 a.m.

Why is nobody mentioning the generally bad performance by MWC replay everywhere else?

I don't remember the PAC-10 schools whining when replays showed that calls on the field clearly favored Utah in 2 undefeated seasons.

This is more about San Diego State's inferiority complex than anything else.

Of course, next comes Criag Thompson's hair. Have we had a replay on that yet?

If San Diego State wants to prove anything, try to beat the Utes.

Squish those Horny Toads!

• mysixsons Moreno Valley, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 10:34 a.m.

For those who insist that there was "cheating" involved in this incident, a few historical facts:

1. Chad Bunn has been the head video coordinator for the MWC for many years, because of his expertise and experience (yes, and integrity)

2. Chad Bunn has been in the booth for most or all of BYU's home games for many years.

3. Chad Bunn founded the national association for collegiate video coordinators and is a consultant for universities and conferences around the country. He has a national reputation as one of the best (or maybe the best) in the business.

3. Chad Bunn has NEVER been accused of any impropriety or cheating in all those years.

Why he would suddenly choose a meaningless game in a meaningless season to cheat and do something that would risk destroying his national reputation and national consulting business? For BYU to win its SECOND game of the season? Against SDSU? That makes no sense. Please let this go and quit trying to destroy a decent man.

And yes, many times in the future I have told BYU fans to let it go and get over it when a bad call cost us a game.

• mysixsons Moreno Valley, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 10:39 a.m.

oops, many times in the PAST I have told BYU fans to let it go! I hope the future won't require it (but I'm sure it will)

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 10:59 a.m.

I'm with lobocadelpozo: whatever the merits of SDSU's complaint, what do you want the opponent's school's President to do???

It seems like his two choices are:
    a. Feel bad because you're right and were denied justice
    b. Feel bad because you're wrong and wasted his time
    So, your objective was to make him feel bad??? Do you feel good now?

• Logicalperson Alpine, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:16 a.m.

In response to mysixsons' defense of Chad Bunn, has Bunn made any statement that he was unaware of the video replay that showed a clear fumble? The head replay official has been quoted saying that, but I have heard nothing from Bunn and the other guy. The latest I heard was that Bunn had hired an attorney. If BYU wants to clear the air about this, they need to investigate and find out whether Bunn or the other guy had seen the television replay. If they did see the replay, they need to apologize to SDSU for a clear ethical violation and consider forfeiting. I really don't think that SDSU needs to get a win from this, but neither should BYU profit from an ethical violation by an employee.

If they deny having seen the television replay, and there is no further evidence, then the matter should be dropped.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:39 a.m.

i had a good comment but it never got posted so lets try again tell SDS and their boosters that it happens to all programs........and they need to get over it

• Andre Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:40 a.m.

This is getting ridiculous. Yes a bad call, but I don't see how BYU is responsible. These guys are simply trying to smear and defame the school. Jack Goodall owns Rubio's Mexican Grill restaurants and I'll never go to one again.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:44 a.m.

Listen up Kewgs; however you want to spin it the bottom line is that BYU has received a black eye from the controversy. Going forward whenever a questionable call is made against the opponent (at the LES) a raised eyebrow will occur. Trust has been broken.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:46 a.m.

If the roles were reversed, there would be 400 posts calling for the firing of all replay officials at the game. Then an apology from Thompson and a reversal of who won the game. BYU fans would be crazy right now if it happened to them.

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:55 a.m.

Much ado about nothing. BYU outplayed SDSU. The team that played better that day came away with a victory. Deal with it!!!

Besides it wasn't the only bad call the officials made that day. What else is new? It happens. A fumble should have been ruled in favor of BYU earlier on the other end of the field, which led to an SDSU score, so this game may have been closer because of the officials not despite them.

SDSU is lucky BYU is down this year and couldn't convert on a few more plays, because that was the only thing that kept BYU from blowing them out. Those boosters are poor sports.

• jlbacana West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:04 p.m.

Time to move on. San Diego State is having one of their best seasons in a long time and nobody is talking about it because all the talk is about the two losses and how they lost because of bad calls against Missouri and BYU. How about focusing on the wins and the good things surrounding the program, the players deserve that.

As far as the BYU game, It should have been ruled a fumble. Yes their was a facemask on the play but that call was not reviewable, the fumble was. Still Nobody knows who would have won. At the time BYU was winning 17 to 14. The rest of the game would have been completely different, different field positions, different play calling, different situation. For those that just assume that since BYU scored on that drive and won by 3 points so if you take 7 points away, San Diego State wins by 4 doesn't really know sports. For example, if BYU was down by 4 they wouldn't be running out the clock on the final drive of the game. Unfortunately we will never know how the game would have finished.

• jlbacana West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:05 p.m.

As far as the replay officials, they made a mistake, I do make a note that Bunn who is also a BYU employee was acting as an employee of the Mountain West Conference for that game. The Mountain West Conference hired him for that game not BYU. More blame should be put on the Mountain West for that decision and not BYU. It was good that the rule got changed although all be the first to say that you will never be able to have people in the booth that are not football fans so there will be football biases regardless. I watch many football games and I always have an invested interest of who I want to win even though my team is not playing. I graduated from University of Phoenix so I am not an alumni of any school so anybody can hire me to work in the booth but I still am a big College Football Fan and will be a fan while working the game and will have a team I am rooting for. You just hope that the people hired treat it as a job and throw those biases out when their making the decisions.

• Big Ben 2.0 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:08 p.m.

This is much more than a "bad call" There was a conflict of interest problem and while it looks like Chad Bunn was not the man fully responsible, he needs to step up and apologize.

BYU's last statement in response to the first letter from the SDSU boosters is now irrelevant and they really need to apologize and come out and make a statement indicating they won't allow this to happen again. Otherwise, they are in real danger of losing respect nationally.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:13 p.m.

Did you bother reading the article "Logicalperson"

"the MWC found NO MALFEASANCE by the officials, all three were suspended because they did not aggressively find all the evidence from live TV feeds in the play."

"It became clear the replay official (Angelis) had become disproportionately focused on the Camera No. 5 shot (which had player traffic obscuring the football at certain points) and on the issue of "clear recovery."

NO MALFEASANCE means the MWC didn't find ANY EVIDENCE of cheating.

The head replay official who made the final decision chose not to watch the available replay that showed the fumble more clearly.

Even if SDSU had been given the fumble, however, there's no guarantee that the Aztecs would have won the game. SDSU could have fumbled the ball on the next play; SDSU could have thrown a pick six; SDSU could have gone 3-and-out and had the punt blocked; or BYU might simply have been forced to drive from a little deeper to score their final TD.

What might have happened if SDSU had gotten the fumble they didn't deserve because the missed facemasking is all speculation.

Nobody cheated. Bad calls. Time to move on.

• gbo Draper, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:24 p.m.

Who cares? I would have much rather seen Armando Galarraga's perfect game given to him, but the ump blew the call. Instead of whining, crying, writing letters, questioning everyone's integrity, Armando kept his composure and said things happen. He was a perfect gentleman. The ump apologized for blowing the call. True sportsmanship was shown on both sides. Terrific examples as sportsmen and human beings. Something real I can show to my kids of how to handle tough life situations.

It's sports, not human suffering in third world countries. It doesn't matter. Move on SDSU!

And Hedgehog, why do you care? Just root for your team. They are having another awesome season and could win the national championship this year. Game Day at Rice Eccles, maybe the biggest game in the history of the Utes, and you're posting on this lame issue? Whatever. As a Coug, I say go Utes!

• Solomon the Wise Alpine, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:26 p.m.

CJ Miles

I've seen lots of blown calls that cost BYU games, but I've never once seen BYU fans writing the president of the opponent begging for the other team to forfeit the game.

If SDSU fans were really honest about seeking "justice", they'd recognize the same thing, and drop it.

Two blown calls on the same play basically cancelled each other out and justice was served.

• Serenity Now American Fork, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:27 p.m.

Yes, Hedgehog, BYU has received a black eye from the controversy, courtesy of the MWC. The MWC and its rule/bylaws governing replays should keep conflicts of interest to a minimum to avoid even the appearance of partiality in reviewing calls. But with BYU departing the conference next year, the black eye BYU is receiving suits Craig Thompson just fine...Somehow, I think BYU will survive. Not so sure about the MWC.

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:32 p.m.

SDSU and the Mountain West are losing respect nationally the longer these complaints get drawn out.

Anyone trying to implicate BYU is grasping at straws. The MWC did the hiring and SDSU is complaining about a call when they should blame their team for getting outplayed.

Hair Thompson wasn't in the booth so who cares how he tries to spin it against BYU?

Those of you asking Bunn or BYU to apologize do so off of alleged reasons not off of anything actual. There is nothing more for BYU to say and doing so would only make them look bad. Continuing to talk about nothing makes those who keep wanting more to come from this look worst of all. Another black eye on the anti-BYU fans out there who think they are besmirching BYU. Think again!!!

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 12:58 p.m.

Solomon the Wise,

"I've seen lots of blown calls that cost BYU games,"

Name one.

"If the roles were reversed, BYU fans would recognize that the Cougars got away with two obvious facemasking penalties that caused the fumble and move on."

Is this serious? You are not being honest with yourself. You are giving emotional fans WAY too much credit. This is bologna, and you know it.

But the truth is, BYU needs to apologize, and then SDSU should move on, focus on winning the rest of their games. But, BYU is not being honest with itself if it does not retract its original reply and apologize for the conflict of interest problem, and promise to fix it in the future.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 1:19 p.m.

As a BYU Cougar fan, I FREELY ADMIT the call was blown and that SDSU has a legitimate complaint.

I also admit if the roles were reversed, BYU fans would be JUST AS ANGRY as the Aztec fans. (And as a sidenote, I know the Utes fans would be piling on BYU to "get over it")

But here's my question. If the MWC leaders came forward and said, "We're sorry for what happened and we promise to fix the situation so it doesn't happen again" would that be enough? Should BYU be forced to forfeit the game?

If BYU is forced to forfeit the game, that means the Cougars will likely finish this season at 5-7, making them ineligible to play in a bowl game, thus denying the seniors on the Cougar team one more chance to play in the post-season, for something that wasn't their fault.

What I want to know is, how should this END? Is an apology enough? Is some type of reform enough? Or should the BYU players and coaches ALL be punished by stripping them of a win and a chance to play in a bowl game?

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 1:39 p.m.

One thing is crystal clear in this case: there was a HUGE conflict of interest which BOTH the MWC and the BYU employees should have recognized.

(2)The fumble was reviewable and clearly would have been called, but for the gross negligence or intentional misconduct of the replay crew.

(3) The face mask non-call was NOT reviewable and is completely irrelevant.

(4) IMHO this should be ruled a non-contest and the loss removed from SDSU's record and the win removed from BYU's.

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    Nov. 3, 2010 1:40 p.m.

yep, and if the same thing happened to utah instead of sdsu, it'd be the same thing also. Just some u fans trying to make it look like only BYU fans are whiners.

I've heard plenty coming from u fans, and even more from wyoming fans and their radio guys. It happens everywhere- just not to the extent of 3 multi-millionaire boosters writing letters to the opposing school's president.

The BBALL game against new mexico in provo last year had some controversial calls at the end, I don't recall any formal protests or letters written by BYU fans over that one.

• P. Sylvan Redlands, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 1:43 p.m.

Wouldn't it be nice if logical people would read the story before commenting?

"In response to mysixsons' defense of Chad Bunn, has Bunn made any statement that he was unaware of the video replay that showed a clear fumble? The head replay official has been quoted saying that, but I have heard nothing from Bunn and the other guy.

"While Angelis, Bunn and Moon have never commented on the incident as per league rules, a source close to one of the three told the Deseret News that Bunn told Angelis there were other camera angles of the play and Angelis said, "No, I got this.""
    ===

Who was "quoted" as saying anything? And when you accuse people of cheating as in previous posts, I see nothing anywhere to back it up. It is clearly a cheapshot at someone who does not deserve it.
    ===

Ben, why should BYU apologize? For what, the actions of the MWC and their crew?

You are usually logical, but you have really missed it on this one. Did Colorado apologize to anyone for their "fifth down" in their NC split year?

Why should they?

It was not BYU's "conflict of interest"?

Apologize?

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:02 p.m.

Big Ben: Dude, your out to lunch on this one. Please read the article again and redo your post. We deserve a better effort from you. You phoned this one in and didn't put much effort into your work...it's like you sent in the first draft.

• Whitecat31 Oceanside, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:03 p.m.

College athletics is supposed to be about honor and fairness. Everybody saw the fumble except the person in the booth who was supposed to make the decision. His views were "Filtered" by the BYU employees.
    All three were suspended without very good explanations why.
    Why should people complain? Because the obvious happened. What should BYU do? They should forfeit the game. Based on the facts on hand, it is clear that the Replay booth official was shielded from seeing the correct replay by the BYU staffers. AKA there was cheating done.
    Just like the players on the team represent the school so do the BYU staffers represent the school.
    Until BYU does the right thing, there is no reason to "move on."

• Whitecat31 Oceanside, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:04 p.m.

Things that don't matter.
    Any supposed facemask calls that were not made the entire game. Calls get missed. This is not about missed calls. It is about deliberately misleading the game official.
    Game stats about time of possession or offensive/defensive stats don't matter as much as the final score. A true college football fan knows that one the most important thing in the game is "To take care of the football" Turn overs are big. They lead to big point shifts in a game in a game that is also affected by emotions and momentum.

• dakuwaqa Seattle, WA
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:06 p.m.

@ Big Ben:
    I'll name one. A couple years back when BYU was at UCLA, the reciever was ruled to have fumbled the ball, but replay showed his knee was down. Should have been BYU ball. We would have won the game. I'm gonna write the PAC10 and the Prez of UCLA right now.

To all those calling for a change in standings due to 1 call, that's absurd. Talk to Colorado about the 5 downs in their championship year. How about the PI penalty in 2008 against OSU that kept a drive alive in the hill. Puhleeez!

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:15 p.m.

@ Wyoming Cougar

A foul in basketball means far less than a change of possession from a fumble in football.

@ P Sylvan

yes, it was the MWC call to have the replay officials in the spots they were. BYU should apologize because they have information that an employee of theirs (whether or not he was working in that capacity at that time) was a part of a situation where gross negligence on his part was shown. I don't think he was trying to help BYU; I don't think he was part of a conspiracy. But there was negligence on his part and he is an employee of the University, regardless of what he was doing at the time.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:19 p.m.

Fender:
    Grow up!

• Solomon the Wise Alpine, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:49 p.m.

What "gross negligence" Big_Ben?

Straight from the article:

"Bunn told Angelis there were other camera angles of the play and Angelis said, "No, I got this.""

What was Bunn supposed to do, force Angelis to view the other angles after he'd already made his final decision?

Until this particular incident, 5 or 6 other MWC teams were also using alumni or others with ties the host school in their replay booths, INCLUDING UTAH.

Should we also go back and review every questionable call made in those replay booths since replay was instituted just to make sure that a "conflict of interest" that wasn't made public didn't occur?

The MWC determined that no malfeaance occurred. You do understand what that means don't you? It means that even though there was an apparent conflict of interest, NOBODY CHEATED. It was simply a blown call. As was the non-call for facemasking on the same play.

Two wrongs don't normally make a right, but in this particular case, it would have been just as much of an injustice for BYU to lose the ball because of a non-call, as the blown replay was for SDSU.

• jazzbball Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:54 p.m.

A good rule of thumb, ignore all things hedgehog says. They are beyond irrelevant.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 2:55 p.m.

Dakuwaga

So was replay being used at the time of that UCLA call?

If not, it really does not matter because this WAS a reviewable play. A PI is not reviewable along with the face mask on the same play in Provo.

The question is, why was the correct feed not given to the ump to make the right call? I watched the play and it was an easy call to make (on replay).

They should have stopped play until they had irrefutable evidence, but that did not happen.

Let it go.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2010 3:11 p.m.

"I agree, this game, on further review, should be removed from both team's official record books."

Get real!

You only agree because it's not your ox being gored, Big_Ben.

Usually, you're one of the more reasonable Utah fans, but in this case, you're allowing your loyalties to cloud your logic.

If a Utah alum working in Utah's replay booth this year had been faced with exactly the same situation as Bunn and had responded in exactly same way with the exact same result, would you really petition Young to remove the game from the record books and possibly cost Utah a chance at playing in the Rose Bowl just to be "fair" on a play that nobody can say actually determined the outcome of the game?

Would you be demanding an apology from Utah for a decision Utah had absolutely nothing to do with?

If the MWC had felt before this incident that having people with ties to one of the competing teams working in the replay booth was a conflict of interest, they would have had a rule in place preventing that a long time ago.

• P. Sylvan Redlands, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 3:28 p.m.

"BYU should apologize because they have information that an employee of theirs (whether or not he was working in that capacity at that time) was a part of a situation where gross negligence on his part was shown."

Ben, you really can back off this one. An employee that shows negligence while working in their employ might in certain situations cause the employer (BYU) to apologize.

But an employee working for the MWC, with the MWC's knowledge of what he does for a full-time living living, has nothing to do with BYU.

They cannot tell him that he cannot use his expertise working for the MWC. Only the MWC can do that (which they have to avoid the appearance of conflict of interest), but you cannot be serious trying to hold BYU accountable on this.

Do you even understand what the legalities of what you are suggesting? An apology would mean that the University has something they did wrong.

Which they did not.

Slandering officials because you don't like the institution is just a cheap shot.

You, and the rest of your Utah fans, should actually be the ones considering an apology.

(PS... I remember Moose Stubing)

• dakuwaqa Seattle, WA
    Nov. 3, 2010 3:54 p.m.

@ utahcountyute: The challenge issued by Big Ben was to name one call that cost BYU a game. So I did.

Bunn was hired by the MWC ot be there, so it's not BYU's fault. The lead official took charge and had what he thought was enought to make the call.

I agree, it's time to move on...and apparently BYU has, it's SDSU and the HOH that can't seem to move on.

• CalNative Long Beach, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 4:21 p.m.

Wow- rather than manning up to an appearance of impropriety, Y'ners continue to bleat the "bad calls happen in every game" mantra. But they don't with an employee and a homer in the replay booth.

Just like Obama, you don't get it.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Nov. 3, 2010 5:11 p.m.

While we're at it, can we all go back to 2005 (I think it was) and review the horrible call that gave an overtime win to TCU? You know, the one where the guy clearly fumbled the ball before crossing the goal line, which was followed by the ball rolling through the end zone and out of bounds? Which should have resulted in a touchback for BYU, giving them the win; but was instead ruled a touchdown for TCU, giving them the win?

There were PLENTY of other plays in the SDSU-BYU game this year that helped decided the outcome. It's time to move on. Just like we can't go back 4 or 5 years and change a call, it would be ridiculous to try and change the call from a game that ended a couple of weeks ago.

SDSU just needs to quit crying and move on.

• ida-coug Pocatello, ID
    Nov. 3, 2010 5:27 p.m.

As I read the comments its obvious that most of you haven't even read the article. Moreover it shows what your real intent is. You don't care about anything other than showing your hate for BYU. It's funny how the lead official (from Reno) is given a pass but the other 2 should be hung. I was on the fence concerning independence. Now I believe its a good thing. The MWC along with Thompson is a Joke. Thompson could put a stop to this but apparently doesn't want to. Good ridance to the MWC and SDSU.....

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 6:27 p.m.

CalNative

"Wow- rather than manning up to an appearance of impropriety,..."

Interesting that "manning up", by your definition, is simply caving in to a bunch of whiners who can't man up to the fact that SDSU lost because the Aztecs were outplayed.

The MWC has already determined that there was no impropriety, so an "appearance of impropriety" is meaningless.

You lost. Get over it.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:14 p.m.

Hey, the BYU officials in the booth are just following the lead of the BYU offense - laid back style and all. Can't blame them.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2010 7:42 p.m.

"(3) The face mask non-call was NOT reviewable and is completely irrelevant."

Why do people keep saying this? We know it is not "officially" reviewable since it wasn't called, but the fact that it happened but wasn't called makes it somewhat relevant. Isn't that what the controversy is all about-- a bad call by the officials?

Like I said, we know it isn't "officially" reviewable, but the officials in the booth probably unofficially considered it and made their decision knowing that it SHOULD have been called, and had it been called, a personal foul ALWAYS trumps a fumble call, and BYU may have even been given 15 yards for it.

As far as "what-if"s and "if-only"s, we can make our own-- if only the refs had called the facemasks, BYU would have been given more yards and would have scored more quickly, leaving time on the clock for yet another BYU touchdown after a 3 and out by SDSU. See? Pretty silly, aren't they?

Get over it SDSU. BYU won fair and square.

• Y4LYFE Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 8:04 p.m.

They got away with one, so did BYU, report both of them if you're going to cry a river.

Oh well, the mwc can cry all they want, since they are losing their money makers next year.

Mr. Thompson, we won't miss you,
    signed BYU
    Co-signed ESPN

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:53 p.m.

Riverton Cougar

Since you don't get it, let me explain. The teams go into the game with an understanding and agreement about what the rules will be. Both teams understand that if the refs miss a face mask infraction there is nothing that will be done about it. That's why it's completely irrelevant. No one had any right to expect the non-call would be reviewed and reversed.

On the other hand, both teams agree and understand that questionable funbles or loose balls will be reviewed and that if the video replay shows clearly that the referees made the wrong call, that call will be reversed. SDSU had an absolute right to expect that would happen.

It didn't happen, because the replay crew (some or all) were at a minimum negligent or, in the worst case, dishonest (no, I'm not alleging that).

Finally, making matters worse, two of the replay crew were employees of BYU with a clear conflict of interest, which as reasonably intelligent people, they must have recognized. Yes, MWC hired them, but they should have foreseen this problem and declined the employment during BYU games.

• SoCalUtahFanToo Irvine, CA
    Nov. 3, 2010 9:54 p.m.

Bunn and Moon should not be allowed to work in the video booth just as I should not be allowed to work in the video booth for Utah-TCU or Utah-BYU game.

As much as I want Utah to beat TCU and BYU, I would not really stand so low to have those wins at any cost of integrity.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2010 10:32 p.m.

fender

We get it. You're such a hater that you can't even accept facts:

--the MWC hired all three officials to work in the replay booth
    --Bunn was the only replay official who was a BYU employee and the MWC knew that Bunn worked for BYU
    --BYU was not alone in using officials with ties to the school in their video booth; other MWC schools have been doing the same thing for years
    --the MWC did not view this as a conflict of interest
    --the head official understood that there were other views of the replay available
    --the head replay official decided he didn't need to look at other replays to make his decision
    --the head replay official made the final decision on the fumble
    --even though the call was made incorrectly, the MWC decided that nobody cheated
    --every team expects the officiating to be fair and BYU had just as much right to have the facemasking penalty called correctly on the field as SDSU had to have the fumble called correctly in he video booth

So what are we missing fender?

The fact that it was a series of mistakes that lead to a correct result?

• skinnysmitty Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:05 p.m.

How about a 2nd replay booth, to review the review taking place in the first replay booth!!

• deibu Roseburg, OR
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:10 p.m.

What did Thompson say with regards to the equally obvious SDSU fumble a few drives earlier also viewed on "national tv" by dozens if not hundreds of fans across the country? Did he write a letter to BYU Boosters? Did the reply crew also botch this call, or fail to be sufficiently aggressive? The media, including the Deseret News by allowing the focus of the poor officiating to remain on just one call has allowed the story to become distorted. I guess I am equally guilty though cause I continue to read these stupid articles and give this stupidity the time of day. :) Poor officiating is something we are all used to...let's get on with life (and football).

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Nov. 3, 2010 11:15 p.m.

Wow, way too much is being made of this. And for Utah fans, you do not even have a dog in this hunt. Your time would be better spent preparing for TCU.

For SDSU fans, all except 3 have gotten over it. BYU fans, keep commenting on this and it gives credibiltiy to the accusers. Leave it alone.

I am glad SDSU lost and BYU won.

Go Cougars. Get ready for UNLV.

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 6, 2010 8:19 p.m.

This is getting beyond rediculous. How is BYU responsible for a call by an official from Reno NV?
    What does a letter to the BYU president accomplish?

One more thing, when a play is up for video review wouldnt the official look at every camera angle available every time? There cant be more than 3 angles available. I cant even imagine why an official wouldnt do that every time unless the call was so clear the first time that it was not necessary to look at the others.

MWC officials are where any anger should be focused and not BYU. Everyone else is just looking for a reason to criticise.