Utes' big week is finally here

Comments

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 1, 2010 12:16 a.m.

This is a great week!

All the U haters predicted a loss against AF, now are certain of a U loss to TCU! No matter what you think, the game will be played on the field! And it will be epic! We win Saturday, we will be in a BCS game!

See you at Game Day!

Go Utes! Beat the toads!!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 5:14 a.m.

Even if Utah wins out and doesnt get to the national championship game, Utah may get a chance to play the team favored to win the NC this year - Oregon -- just next year.

• Ross Madison, AL
    Nov. 1, 2010 7:04 a.m.

After Utah blew out AF in the first half, they seemed to go to sleep dreaming about beating Alabama 3 years ago and nearly lost the game. Live in the present Utah, stay focused, or you will never know what could have been.

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 7:44 a.m.

This is what the future holds - national attention for the Utes.

Go Utes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 7:53 a.m.

Never thought that I would say it, but here goes...GO UTES ! Beat those toads!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 8:05 a.m.

"Dreams are starting to come true"

I think by late Saturday afternoon it will be a huge colossal, cataclysmic beat down.

Whether its a nailbiter of just a few points or a blowout it won't make any difference. TCU is coming to town to dish out a beating.

Sammyg's Nightmare at RES, a dream come true. Trick or Treat!

Go TCU. Go BYU.

I'll root for the Utes post-season. Ha ha

• NC UTES 2010 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 8:34 a.m.

I've said it since week one and I'll say it again.

Utah WILL WIN the 2010 national championship.

People from both sides laughed at me early on, but my predictions are gaining support from both sides now.

Boise State isn't a concern with what the final strength of schedules will say.

Mark it down. 2010 Utah Utes National Champions.

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 8:34 a.m.

@Sammyg
    You know this will be a test for TCU as well. They've had most of the same opponents as Utah.

I think it's going to be a very close game, similar to the game 2 years ago when it came down to which team had more mistakes. The Utes have to execute, and execute flawlessly! They can't play like they did in the 4th quarter against Air Force or the frogs will eat us alive!

I have a feeling this will be THE best game to watch this season (with the possible exception of another BCS bowl game.) I'm looking forward to this one more than the BYU game.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 8:35 a.m.

Two top 5 teams playing in the state of Utah.

And neither of them is mighty BYU.

No wonder sammyg is in such a bad mood. Combine the Utah/TCU matchup that the nation will be watching with a pathetic excuse of a football team in Provo, and it's amazing BYU fans are still posting at all.

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    Nov. 1, 2010 8:47 a.m.

Time to open up the play book. The game was close at Air Force because the coaches called a way to conservative game plan. Its like the offense had one play and one play only. I thought the name of the game was to keep your opponent guessing. Air Force loaded up the box with 8 or 9 players and we still ran it on almost every play. The arrogance and bone headedness of the coaching staff almost cost us the game.

• Utahutefan62 West Valley city, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2010 8:50 a.m.

This will be the game of year for sure! Game Day is in town and the Utes are riding a 22 game home win streak. I predict that Utes will win in 2 overtimes and be ranked 3rd jumping Boise State.

Sammyg your going to have to root for Utah in the post season because your team will be no where near it! ;)

• TAGZZ SLC, Utah
    Nov. 1, 2010 8:50 a.m.

Man... I am anxious for this one to start... College Game Day and then the 2 of the best teams in the country battling it out for what could be a NC game... This game is going to be epic, I got my blackout jersey and I am ready to go... This week can not go fast enough!!

• Gifford VanBuren Holladay, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:07 a.m.

Good luck Utes. I'm cheering for you to finish what we started in 1984.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:14 a.m.

As much as a detest Utes Fans (very similar to the SDSU fans I have to put up), this is an epic match-up! What a way to leave the MWC. Go, Frogs!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:17 a.m.

@Shawnm750

You are absolutely correct. This will be a 'Clash of the Titans' game. I'm looking forward to it as well.

In all seriousness, if the Utes come out of this one then I will be convinced of their ability. Doesn't mean that I'm a fan but until the regular season is over... it ain't over.

Until they played the Falcons my opinion was that the Utes had not been tested and all of the fan hype was not warranted. Too many unfortunate errors for the Falcons on Saturday and for Ute fans to claim that everyone of them was a forced error is just not exactly true but that's football.

Several fans almost had a heart attack on Saturday and that just shows that the scales can tip very easily against the Utes this Saturday and in any of the next games where the competition is improved or has had time to improve in the case of BYU.

November will be the month to remember.

TCU by 14.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:36 a.m.

Gonna be a good game, don't really cheer for either team, but looking forward to some quality college football.

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:48 a.m.

It's all on the line now. For the BCS busters and their fans one loss kills the season. Better show up and hang onto the ball. Otherwise, Las Vegas beckons.

• OnlyU Draper, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:50 a.m.

Zoob fans...here's the difference-we've beaten TCU 3 out of the last 4. We have done what you or others in the MWC can't do...match their speed, quickness, toughness and athleticism. They are ridiculously talented but don't look now, so are we. Crazy game, crazy atmosphere, and crazy implications but that's what top programs do. Next year respect will be given through our conference affiliations And of course an even better team, recruiting has already surpassed previous levels and it's something were frankly getting used to. Depth, talent, quickness, toughness and experience is something we'll show you this year, next and for years to come. Just think, the great white hope-heaps will be 0-3 against Wynn before his senior year. You have a lot to look forward to...so do we!!

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:07 a.m.

Love the confidence of the U fans. Top programs and their fans should feel and expect that they can beat any opponent and win every week. The U is such a program. Congrats, on mastering the scheduling like BSU, and then winning.

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:11 a.m.

I am glad Utah gets to play another strong team this year during the regular season. This will show TCU and/or Utah's true colors. Hope the winner gets to take the national championship (and does!).

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:17 a.m.

OnlyUoob fans should wait to celebrate a victory. Your usual arrogance about beating TCU in the past will not win this one. Wynn doesn't translate to win against the Frogs.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:17 a.m.

Utah will need to be laser focused for this game. I am not as confident as other Ute fans that Utah will win this game. It could happen and I certainly hope it will, but if I were neutral on this, I would bet on TCU winning.

Go Utes!

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:19 a.m.

It is sad how far BYU has sunk. Now our biggest week of the year is the week that Utah plays TCU. Sad, and it will only get worse for us. Next year Utah will play a PAC-10 schedule and we will play a bunch of teams from the WAC. Wonder how my fellow BYU fans are going to sell Idaho vs BYU in Provo the same day that Utah is playing Oregon, ASU, Cal, Stanford, USC etc etc etc in Salt Lake. Sad, just sad.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:20 a.m.

When the Utes win this one, what will the cougar fans say? That TCU was overrated? That they played a soft schedule, that Utah got lucky? My personal hope is that I don't see a single cougar fan post on the comment board after the game on saturday, but I know that just won't happen.

There's always an excuse, some lame reason to instill hope into the cougars' fans that they will be able to hang with the Utes and somehow get a victory at the end of november.

Sorry cougs, no Max Hall miracles this season, it's looking more and more likely that the Utes will go into the Holy War 11-0 and the margin of victory will be very large for the Utes.

I'm so excited for this weekend.

GO UTES!!!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:25 a.m.

OnlyU | 9:50 a.m. Nov. 1, 2010
    Draper, UT
    "Zoob fans...here's the difference-we've beaten TCU 3 out of the last 4."

The other difference is that Utah fans continue to call third grade names.

Hey, I like the stat. 3 of 4 against TCU.

So if that means you should beat TCU, logic would carry that if that means anything, BYU, owning 3 of the last 4 beats Utah.

Personally, I'm going to wait and watch the game, and see the better team win...

But, that's just the way I roll.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:35 a.m.

Utah will be no match for TCU. What a shame that ABC's coverage the other night included no mention of TCU or Utah in BCS game scenarios...

• Flame of the West The OC, CA
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:47 a.m.

TCU by 7. Both teams are good but both are over-rated.

• 42istheanswer SLC, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:48 a.m.

Can't play sloppy like they did in the 4th quarter against AF & expect to win. Lucky they still won the AF game. GO UTES!!!!!!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:02 a.m.

Reality will soon set in. The Utes will lose at least two games this year. They were lucky with Pitt and Air Force. Beating teams like San Jose State, New Mexico, UNLV, Wyoming, etc, doesn't mean you're at the level of TCU, Boise State, Oregon or Nevada. It's not that I hate the Utes, but it's nice to see some their fans eat crow. The utes were my second favorite team and I enjoyed seeing the state of Utah well represented in sports, but their fans are rude compared to what I've seen at Air Force, TCU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Alabama. Want to see classy fans? Go to Notre Dame! Their sober and fantastic.

• hedge hoggs Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:11 a.m.

Ute need no gimmicks to win. No blackout, no special under-armour unis, just the best team of the field.

And we all know SDSU and BYU would rather give up than play the game.

And of course, whoever plays them in the NC game will be so afraid to play, they will just hide and the Utew will a NC.

Then Afro14 will go put on his red sweatshirt, stand on top of the biggest hill in the state and proclaim himself a Utah fan.

People will offer good paying jobs, proposals of marriage will flood in, free cars, food and clothing for all fans.

"Zoobs" will be rounded up, moved to the desert, and not be allowed to post ever again.

I'm so excited for this weekend.

GO UTES!!!

(Unless it doesn't work out that way, and they end up playing in the Independence bowl...)

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:36 a.m.

"Dreams are starting to come true"
    This player is off his rocker! Get by TCU, ND, SDSU, and BYU, then start to say that. Barely getting by AFA with 5 turnovers and playing the best defensive team in the nation coming up is a recipe for shattered dreams. TCU has demolished all their opponents this season, and Utah barely got by their two best....BARELY.

I can't possibly see Utah winning...not by a long shot. TCU will jump Boise in the polls after the win.

• Skierelmo Oakley, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:46 a.m.

I consider myself one of the saner Utes fans, and am in no way going to guarantee a win.... but food for thought. Doubters/Haters... remember in 04 when there was no way we would go undefeated... win a bcs game... in 08 when there was no way we'd beat byu at the end, and a snowy day in Miami the day we beat the tide... this year when there was no chance of us beating pitt, beating a big 12 team on the road, were going to fall asleep and lose to AFA...... now tell Utah they don’t stand a chance against TCU... Keep telling Utah what they can't do!!! They genuinely seem to enjoy providing you wrong!!!

Go Utes!!!!

• Skierelmo Oakley, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:49 a.m.

Proving... not providing..... thanks a lot droid autospell!!!

• hedge hoggs Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 1, 2010 11:53 a.m.

Worf, you are a Ute hater. A "Zoobie". Name me one other top-ten team in the country that could have beaten San Jose State, New Mexico, UNLV, and Wyoming the way the Utes have!

Just one.

I will wait.

Can't do it, can you.

• Capt. Smash Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 12:01 p.m.

BYU should drop down to Division I-AA or II. That way they can feel good about the program.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 1, 2010 12:05 p.m.

Veritas: "Someone help me out here. Is that the number * team in the nation? Utah fans... #8??? #8??? really?"

Uh...no, that would be #5. Did that clear things up for you?

SammyG: "I still don't see a NC even if the Utes run the board. Plenty of stronger programs out there."

I would have to agree with you there partially. If we go undefeated, which is a great likelihood if we beat TCU, we will be in a BCS game, just not the NC. Too many things have to happen which makes it unlikely. Now the plenty of stronger programs out there part is an opinion only. Could not possibly know unless it was played on the field, just like we did against Alabama and we will Saturday against TCU.

Go Utes! On to victory #9!

See you at Game Day!!

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:09 p.m.

@ hedge hoggs

You pretty much listed all my hopes and dreams that will come as a result of a Utah win over TCU!!!

However, you forgot one.

That cougar fans will stop being delusional about their own team and jealous of the better football program in the state. However, just like everything else that both you and I stated, this hope is in vain.

Good luck against UNLV, the zoobs are going to need all the help they can get.

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    Nov. 1, 2010 9:20 p.m.

The only outcome that would surprise me is if Utah wins in a blowout. It would be great if Utah could beat TCU but if they don't, that's fine.

I don't know where some of you haters think that this game will be my worst nightmare. This season has been awesome and will continue to be so. Utah wasn't expected to do this well in the first place. This year is just a great opportunity to get ready for the move to the PAC-12...practice, if you will.

If I were a hater, with my team going independent next year and our in-state rival moving to the fertile recruiting grounds of the PAC-12, this season would be nothing but a nightmare.

Yeah, Utah will be just fine, win or lose this Saturday...and I'll sleep well. I can only imagine how the haters will sleep if Utah manages to beat TCU. :)

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:02 p.m.

Well judging over the past forty years--The Cougs have the highest win and TV revenue totals in the conference. The Cougars have been the best thing for the conference.

The Utes are good this year because of BYU. Here are some reasons for that:

1. Using the BYU passing game.
    2. Using ex-BYU players for coaches.
    3. Decades of receiving BYU TV revenue.

Although no ute fan will acknowledge this, the Cougars have nothing to be ashamed of and will make a comeback.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Nov. 1, 2010 10:56 p.m.

Sorry Yewetes but I have to go with Lou Holtz on this one...TCU for the win. However, if you were in the PAC 12 this year you'd be playing UO for the Conference Championship...hopefully you will do this in 2012.

As a Coug, I am still planning on winning at the RES on Nov 27th. Dreams can come true...

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 2, 2010 1:04 a.m.

afro14:

"When the Utes win this one, what will the cougar fans say?"

I know the answer to that. We've been there and done that already...with both TCU and Alabama in our 2008 season.

Do you remember any of these?.....

(1) "Utah got lucky. They would lose that game 9 times out of 10."

(2) "Utah won on account of good old fashioned Home Cookin'. No way they would have won that game if it were played in Ft. Worth or on a neutral field."

(3) "TCU wasn't worthy of their Top-5 ranking. They should have really been ranked somewhere around #16-20.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new twist as well. Perhaps some sort of conspiracy twist wherein the BCS would prefer to see an undefeated Utah team over an undefeated TCU team since Utah will be part of the BCS next season, thus taking their prestigious bowl and laudatory season with them, thus crippling the MWC's hopes of earning AQ-status points.

BUT...we'll have to beat the Frogs first. That hasn't happened yet. I expect an intense game.

GO UTES!!!

• Peter Lemon Providence, UT
    Nov. 2, 2010 7:29 a.m.

worf,

Whittingham saw the light and converted. There is still hope for you...if you humble yourself. You did confess that you are from Mcallen. That's a big first step. :)

• P. Sylvan Redlands, CA
    Nov. 2, 2010 10:23 a.m.

Naval:

And if the Utes lose, they grab something out of the post game interview, something that a TCU player said and, defelct all attention from their inability to do it on the field.

You've been there and done that already...