Utah

President Monson presides over groundbreaking for Mormon temple in Rome

Comments

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    Oct. 23, 2010 2:59 p.m.

Wonderful! What a blessing to the Northern Mediterranean area.

• On-A-Clear-Day Mission Viejo, California
    Oct. 23, 2010 6:08 p.m.

It is so great for a Temple to be built in Rome. I marveled like many did, when President Monson announced a Temple to be built there.

I am so thankful for the time to be fulfilled, when Temples will dot the earth, and rest will come.

• terrytigger Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 23, 2010 9:01 p.m.

I cannot stop smiling after reading the comments, watching the videos, and looking at the photographs that my Italian friends have posted about this historic occasion. The Italian saints have waited many years and have prepared the hearts of the citizens of Rome for the building of the Temple. Most Italian Catholics, once they have been properly 'educated' about Latter Day Saints look at 'The Church' as an ally in upholding moral values important to core Christian beliefs. Many miracles (in terms of the bureaucracy of building anything in Italy) have occurred to get from the announcement to this ground breaking in just 2 years. I hope the miracles continue until the day of dedication.

• cjf Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2010 2:58 p.m.

I shed tears when I heard the announcement of the Rome temple in General Conference a few years ago. I served a mission in Italy in the late '80s, and knocked on thousands of doors with very little success. Discouragement was rampant on my mission, but we worked on, and did find a few souls who joined the Church. I always knew a temple would be built there, and I thoroughly rejoice in it. How sweet it is!

• JanSan Pocatello, ID
    Oct. 24, 2010 4:29 p.m.

I wonder if the Pope and those who serve under him will go to the open house... wouldn't that be great!

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    Oct. 24, 2010 6:44 p.m.

Yes, indeed, the caravan continues to move ever onward!

God bless Pres. Monson, the Apostles and good people everywhere, no matter their faith!

• TBUK London, n/a
    Oct. 25, 2010 7:10 a.m.

FYI - Castellano NOT the first Italian temple president. Mario Vaira.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 25, 2010 5:06 p.m.

JanSan | 4:29 p.m. Oct. 24, 2010
    Pocatello, ID

===============

It would be even better if WE showed that same level of curteousy to others as well - don't you think?

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 25, 2010 5:11 p.m.

This is great news. I especially think it is cool that there will be a visitors center at this temple.

I think it would be wonderful, but unlikely, that the Pope would come to the Open House. On the other hand, I think there is a good chance that at least one Catholic Cardinal will show up.

• ciaobello Concord, CA
    Oct. 25, 2010 5:37 p.m.

I thought it was more recent we heard about the Rome temple. Rome is my favorite European city, molta bella.