BYU football: Defensive coordinator Jaime Hill fired

Comments

• the world Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:09 p.m.

Too bad Hill is gone, but hopefully the Cougars can get someone better to replace him. I wonder how long Anae will last.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:09 p.m.

I don't know if I agree with letting him go. Is it really his fault because of the youth and injuries to this team. BYU fans need to start looking at this more realistic and relax. Ute fans need to go away!

• YtxPat Sugar Land, TX
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:15 p.m.

I thought Hill did a very good job over the years. Good luck coach in the future and thanks for the good years. Having played under Schmidt, I think there are many other areas that also need attention.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:17 p.m.

I'm really sorry to see this. I just watched a tape of the game with Utah State and there is plenty of blame to go around. Nobody is clicking on all calendars and certainly key injuries have played a part.

• DH48 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:22 p.m.

Hmm...feels like a knee jerk reaction to a bad start. I hate to see anyone lose their jobs based on a partial season, especially when they have been successsful in the past. On the other BYU looks really inept, but on both sides of the ball.

• blucougr SLC, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:23 p.m.

Jeez, what next?? the wheels have come off this program. Starting to feel like the Croatan (however you spell that) years all over again. Hey maybe we can get Mike Leach!!HAHA

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:24 p.m.

How about revamping the recruiting standards? There are many very talented athletes outside of Timpview that could also contribute to the Y.

• TucsonUte Phoenix, Arizona
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:27 p.m.

This is a shame. No assistant coach should ever lose his job in the middle of the season. This is just treating the symptom and not the cause of the Cougars problems. Has this happened before with BYU assistant coaches? Just curious.

• TizTheSeason logan, utah
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:30 p.m.

What about the OC?

• Y4LYFE Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:32 p.m.

Can coaches fire players? Ashworth gives up and drops balls.

• charlie24 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:32 p.m.

Bronko talked about the problems in special teams. Special teams stunk. How can he fault the defence without faulting himself for the poor play on special teams. He is the special team coach. Now we have coach Hill taking the accountability that belongs to Bronko.

• theJman Bay Area, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:33 p.m.

Averaging less than 16 pts a game and they can the defensive coordinator? When has defense been a priority?

• Marcus Murray, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:34 p.m.

Robert Anae should be next. The most predictable offense on the planet. Hill was even better then Anae.

• Calvin Ball Vernal, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:39 p.m.

How does Robert Anae still have a job? Nevermind a freshman QB. He is the most predictable play caller ever. Why does he continually run the ball on third down in the first half? Anae should have been let go years ago.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:43 p.m.

The problem is the offense, not that the defense was stellar but at least the defense held its own in the second half in four of BYU's five games.

It's also too bad that BYU is losing an African-American coach as well. This won't help bring better athletes to BYU.

I think both Hill and Anae have places in BYU's program, perhaps not in their present positions but I would hate to lose either.

Of course, I wish Coach Hill the best, and if doing this, makes his life better, and that of his family, I wish him the best.

• the world Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:48 p.m.

The reports are that there was dissension in the ranks. That can't be tolerated - especially from a coach.

• From Utah Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:55 p.m.

This story showed up in my inbox as breaking news. I subscribe to breaking news to get notices of imported events, like the trade center attacks, local government events, life changing wildfires. How does anything having to do with BYU football rise to that level?

• ConferenceofChampions Herriman, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:56 p.m.

Pretty stupid to do it right now in my opinion.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:56 p.m.

Everybody's assuming it's because of the Y's poor performance over the last several games. The reasons could be something totally different.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:57 p.m.

As mentioned earlier, your treating the symptoms and not the root problem - Bronco.

Should have kept them all until the end of the season and then make a whole sale change.

• CanuckFan Kelowna, BC
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:58 p.m.

Don't be so naive folks. The decision let Hill go was made weeks ago and they've already lined someone up to replace him.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:58 p.m.

I think Hill as actually gotten Cougar defenders to overachive. Not this season but then everyone is underachieving this season. Is anyone going to be held accountable for the 2 QB decision? It is the resason that Heaps and his receivers have only gotten about a fall's camp worth of reps to this point. I wonder if there was more tension between Mendenhall and Hill because Bronco is a defensive guy whereas he probably gives his offensive coaches a longer leash.

With this move and recent non-LDS player suspensions and transfers it is looking more and more like BYU sports is becoming an all-LDS deal. Maybe given the Code and the culture of Provo in general that is the way it should be.

• full disclosure Providence, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 1:59 p.m.

Coach Hill is the sacrificial lamb and I for one feel bad for him. Forcing him to resign mid-season is incredibly disrespectful and unprofessional.

All, let me repeat ,all of the coaches at BYU this year have not done their part.
    It seems to me that this is a cowardly way of diverting attention to the real problems at BYU and acting like that now that Coach Hill is gone, that everything will be okay.
    If anything, I would think that the offensive coaches should have been more on the firing line than the defensive coaches. Coach Mendenhall on the pre-game show stated that BYU had to score more points than the other team, meaning a lot of points. Didn't see that happen.

Coach Hill we wish you nothing but success in the future.

• CanuckFan Kelowna, BC
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:00 p.m.

And you can bet they have been considering a replacement for Mr. Anae and the search is on. You don't let someone go until you have a contract in place for the replacement. Pure business. Nothing wrong with that.

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:02 p.m.

I don't believe this was a scheme issue. It's a talent issue. I can remember back when LaVell Edwards was head coach. It always seemed that either the skilled positions were new or the Offensive line was new. Never both. On Defense, the Line was young when the linebackers were veterans. That balance seems to be lost. With a new quarterback, we should have a veteran O-Line and at least 1 running back to provide extra protection while the new guys learn.

I'd be looking at the recruiting efforts as much as the D or O coordinators.

• BoiseSuperBlue Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:03 p.m.

I think if anyone needs to be fired it's Jake Heaps. BYU simply cannot survive another 3 years with him as quarterback.

• Old Scarecrow Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:05 p.m.

With a freshman QB, no matter how talented (or not), you're going to forgive the offense more than the D. The numbers speak for themselves on both sides. The only positive on the whole team so far is that Heaps hasn't been hurt. Sorry to see Hill go, we would all have liked to see him be successful here. There has been only one other assistant I remember being let go over the last twenty years during an actual season, but the condition of the team is pretty serious. Something had to happen. I can't imagine how great the pressure the whole department is feeling from outside, as well as their own frustration to win.

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:08 p.m.

Anae may very well be the next in line on the chopping block....

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:08 p.m.

I'm sure the Dnews will never post this but....

Don't you think a little more thought should have gone into the decision to fire a minority coach? What does this say to the already troubled recruiting efforts?

And to think, this type of exposure will be on ESPN for the all the Nation to see .....in HD!

• Carson Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:10 p.m.

Bronko and Anae both need to go!

• Brushowl Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:16 p.m.

How about Bronco? Perhaps he needs to step down or be fired. To loose to teams like USU and Nevada is unexcusable. I wonder if there will be a PPI scheduled between Bronco and his superiors?

• ourtime99 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:19 p.m.

There was an article in the DN just a few years ago about what a great, up-and-coming coach he is. How sad for Bronco to throw him under the bus when the defense is the least of this team's problems.

• paul judd Preston, Idaho
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:24 p.m.

I was at the game last night. Total lack of excitment, energy by the cougs. They for the most part play like girls. No emotion, no energy on or off the side lines. Maybe Bronco should make winning a higher priority. I realise he is trying not ruin Jakes confidencee by minimizing the impotant of each game. That does not requires him and the other coaches to be emotionally dead. Show some heart BYU. Utah State try winning with a little class. Enjoy a well desereved victory but keep the gloating down. It is only 1 game and you have not looked at that great this year. University of Utah fans. Who have you played this year? You are just now getting into the heart of your schedule. Talk after you have done something. Not now. BYU better days are ahead. Head up. smile and get better.

• RealityCheck Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:24 p.m.

Admittedly I'm not a BYU fan, but I'm a little surprised that Bronco would do this. Having watched BYU play several times this year, I don't believe the problem is as much to do with the defensive coordinator as it is the athletes. It just doesn't seem like BYU has a very athletic defense, and I don't think there would be very many coordinators that would succeed with this current group.

It wasn't that long ago that Jaime Hill's defense held some fairly potent offenses like Oregon State and Oklahoma in check. Of course that was with a different / better set of players. But it seems that Bronco needed to place the blame somewhere and it fell on coach Hill. That's a shame.

• jcmom Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:29 p.m.

Hello people! Don't you think the coaching staff knows something you don't know? You aren't in their meetings, so you can speculate all you want, but will never know the true reasons for any actions they take.

• Frazil man Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:30 p.m.

I made a prediction on facebook during the game that a coaching shakeup would happen. However, I was pushing for Anae and his insistance to throw the ball on 1st, 2nd, and then surprise them with a run on 3rd, or run a shorter than needed route. Poor Hill, I don't think it was all his fault, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:31 p.m.

And so it has begun.........

Good luck Jamie!

• Old Scarecrow Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:31 p.m.

I doubt there's a new defensive coordinator coming. Bronco will be the D coach the rest of the way, in fact if not by title. There's probably someone on the fringes who will join the official ranks, perhaps replacing whoever becomes the secondary coach.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:35 p.m.

"It is the resason that Heaps and his receivers have only gotten about a fall's camp worth of reps to this point."

It wouldn't matter how many reps they get, they are just a bad team. For sample, Heaps and Co. have 90 reps in the last two games yet they are averaging around 13 points per game only because of late scores against the 2nd team defense.

Now compare that to the significantly less reps by Cain/Wynn over the last two games; the team is averaging 56 points per game.

BYUs defense has been getting spanked regularly since 2008 so I could see why he was fired.

• BigLebowski Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:41 p.m.

What do you expect, you give up 260 yards rushing and almost 29 points per game. That is pathetic. I have never been a fan of Anae's play calling and this season his ineptness is showing through, not to mention that the O-line hasn't helped him out very much. If the team doesn't start playing with some passion this is going to be a long season.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:47 p.m.

I cant believe how many people want Bronco out... After how well this team has played over the past 5 years, so many people have already given up. They shouldnt point to the past to make excuses for the present, but still... Its a bad year with a lot of young players that are getting experience and hopefully very soon will get their confidence back and get used to winning again.

• Ferg Draper, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:54 p.m.

I love how all the Ute and Boise fans are saying to fire Bronco and demote Heaps.

Bronco and Heaps will both be fine.

As far as firing Hill mid season... The future is now. No need to delay the inevitable.

As far as ESPN wanting a refund. I'm sure the low point in BYU history still had a higher TV rating than any Ute game will have this season. In part, because Ute fans can't resist a chance to root against BYU. Keep it coming Ute fans, we appreciate the ratings boost.

BYU will only get stronger recruits because of the ESPN deal. Just ask Boise.

The future is bright. The present is another story.

• PAC Member, are U? Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 2:56 p.m.

From reading all of the posts here, it appears that the wheels are truly comin' off.

I'm surprise that most tds fans didn't see this coming even before the season started.

Utah is going to roll the tds SO bad. It will be Utah's "farewell gift."

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:00 p.m.

So who gets fired because players have not been prepared to step in and replace the departed seniors?

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:08 p.m.

Sacrifical lamb? huh?

Did any of you see BYU's defense last year? Florida state, Utah, TCU, and many other teams ran through the Cougars like a hot knife through butter.

to call this a knee jerk reaction is to deny all what Hill has done (his incompetence).

This change has been long overdue. The Cougars defense has been horrible for years. Changes need to be made.

If the offense doesn't improve, Robert Anae should be next.

Sorry coaches, it's up to you to recruit and teach the players that will make you be successful. If that isn't happening, then find another job.

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:09 p.m.

There is more to like about BYU football than winning games. I think we lose some of that with the dismissal of Hill in this way.

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:10 p.m.

Hill has been good for BYU but I believe he is ready to move on. He tried to get into the mix for the SDSU head job but was unsuccessful. He has shown brilliance in some instances, like against Oregon State last year. Also, by being fired he gets a full contract payout. This is how it works in sports and often in business. But for a guy with talent and aspirations, he's probably been at BYU long enough and personally needed a change. And maybe he was planning a move and it was showing in his attitude. The problem with that is the timing doesn't always work out as one planned. Like he said, it's just the business they are in.

I'm no Ute homie, but I still think Kyle is one of the best defensive coaches in college football today. My guess is that Bronco will resume being DC, which he loves. But I'm not clued in on the latest, so maybe something else is in the works.

• VegasCoug Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:16 p.m.

This is what big boy programs do when a debacle is taking place. You make changes. Good to see BYU acting like a big boy program and not a chuch calling!

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:25 p.m.

BTW, if Bronco doesn't take over DC, I think he will surprise us with a young guy like Nick Howell. Not that our LBs have been playing great, but it's not easy to read Bronco's mind.

As for Anae, predictability is a BYU tradition. I keep thinking that Lance Reynolds is better, but he's been in the both for a long time now. One thing about Anae though, in spite of my agreement that he is a terrible OC, is that he is one of the finest people to ever coach at BYU. However, the job has been over his head from day one. I wish there was a family friendly way of handling that one. No ideas yet...

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:34 p.m.

This isn't exactly a mid-season firing. The football season realistically is over for BYU even though they may win some games and could still get to a bowl. The tell-tale sign was the end of the sell out streak last week.

I expected BYU to compete last night and win. USU was depleted, is not a very good team and they still took BYU behind the woodshed. BYU had no defense. The only thing that stopped drives was when the opponent made mistakes. While that worked for BYU in the past, it won't work in the present.

As long as BYU comes prepared and beats the U, I will be happy. That is all that is left that matters. Start preparing now. BYU needs to build a defense, get the recievers to catch the ball and build confidence. They do those things and they still should be able to beat Utah.

• superute Holladay, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:34 p.m.

Fire mid-season? And fire the D-coordinator? The only thing about the defense that has improved the past five years is the play and recruiting of the DBs, thanks to Coach Hill.
    BYU couldn't have picked a worse way to embark upon this independence experiment. For the Y fans who think that BYU draws big audiences, go ahead and look up the nielsen ratings for the Y games that have been on ESPN. Their past five bowl games have had LESS ratings than Utah's bowl TV ratings.
    Utah State was missing TWELVE of their players who played significantly vs. Oklahoma. And they couldn't score a TD against USU's defense who got lit up by SDSU.

Good luck with independence. If you don't see the writing on the wall of where the Y football program is heading, then you're just in denial. The future is not bright.

And if I'm Coach Rose, I'm mad that I'm now in the WCC because of a bad football team.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:36 p.m.

Re: VegasCoug | 3:16 p.m.

"This is what big boy programs do when a debacle is taking place."

Big boy programs don't let performance issues progress to a level that results in mid-season firings.

Big boy program.... phhttttt.

BYU is little more than a mid-major-independent curiosity on a national level. Maybe good enough for a few Thurday, Friday night tv games, but not good enough for the Saturday big time.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:43 p.m.

This was a little too knee jerk for me. I suspect that Jaime and Bronco had major disagreements and this was the final blow. Maybe Jaime already had a place to go and had voiced that opinion.
    Good luck coach HIll. We appreciate your service.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:46 p.m.

I would be surprised if this had anything to do with Football...

• ConferenceofChampions Herriman, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:55 p.m.

Prior to this news, I was willing to say that the cougs might pick up 2 other wins this season. Now I am CONFIDENT in saying they will finish 1-11 with Utah waxing them en route to another BCS bowl.

• Peter Coyotl West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 3:56 p.m.

SO it looks like it is officially the time to panic.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:00 p.m.

Ok, so Hill was responsible for bad defense.
    Who is responsible for bad offense?
    Who is in charge of bad special team play?

Who? Who? Who?

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:01 p.m.

Elk Hair Caddis,

Well said.

• mile high cougar Littleton, CO
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:04 p.m.

Bad move!! Anae should have been fired not Hill. Bronco has lost it big time!

• Gazpacho Logan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:06 p.m.

Fans and media, alike love to point out that “bad” play-calling is to blame for the current offensive woes. The trouble is, lots of GOOD play calls are failing. How can a team fail to get 1 yard on the ground in multiple attempts? How can a team fail to get 4 yards through the air on multiple attempts? How can so many TD and 3rd down passes be dropped? What should the coaches call when the players don’t do anything well? Play calling is not the problem. Execution is.

As for the firing of Hill, it’s unfortunate and untimely, but I have no doubt that this decision has been brewing for a while. Mendenhall is nothing if not deliberate in his decisions.

Need I remind people that BYU has gone 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, and 11-2 the last four years? Bronco turned this program around in 1 6-6 season after the disaster of Crowton. Are we so spoiled and unrealistic that we cannot afford the coach the time necessary to fix this?

• jonjon Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:07 p.m.

-----------------
    Jamie Hill

• What To Do Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:07 p.m.

While I think there is a lot of problems to go around you don't change horses in the middle of the river unless you want to drowned! I guess that is what Bronco and company want to do. This will wipe out any desire left in the defense. Bronco as DC wonder if he will have co-defenses? Anae will be next to follow next week the Bronco after TCU.

• Zencible Bluffdale, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:15 p.m.

Knowing Bronco and Tom H, there must be a lot more to it than poor performance on the field. I suspect there may be some personality differences and/or attitude issues that would warrant mid-season canning.

• Mayfair Claremore, OK
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:15 p.m.

"...was given the choice to resign or be fired."

"...was named BYU's defensive coordinator in 2008, came to BYU in 2006..worked as the secondary coach before being elevated to coordinator."

I'm not at all certain I am comfortable with BYU pursuing the same path as other collegiate teams. Firing like this for a team's recent poor winning record is what is common in OTHER schools.

It is obvious that he must have performed acceptably in seasons past.

Why let WINNING be the only measure of a person/team/school??

• Archie O\'Fallon, MO
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:29 p.m.

Gazpacho | 4:06 p.m. Oct. 2, 2010

"Mendenhall is nothing if not deliberate in his decisions."

What? Bronco hasn't even decided who the starting lineup is. The decision to terminate Assistant Coach Hill's services is probably the ONLY decision he has made this year.

For the past 5 years and so far this year, Mendenhall has repeatedly demonstrated that he takes no responsibility for the shortcomings of his team (performance or incidents off the field).

What happened to Bronco's "football is priority #5" speech? Based on the results so far this year, football probably is close to #5 on everyone's priority list. Instead of firing assistant coaches, they should all be given a performance bonus.

• Archie O\'Fallon, MO
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:33 p.m.

Mayfair | 4:15 p.m. Oct. 2, 2010

"Since BYU takes pains to be a school elevated and above the rest of the world in action, it is distressing to see them take the low road on this."

Apparently you are not aware of BYU's contribution to dismantling the WAC and throwing Utah State under the bus all in the name of "looking out for BYU's interests."

• U Student Y Fan Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:34 p.m.

Although the defense certainly has looked poorly coached at times, the real coaching problem is the offensive play calling. It is unfortunate that Hill becomes the scapegoat because Bronco is unwilling to question Robert Anae, who simply does not know how to call plays. I have never seen a team so ineffective at utilizing personnel. Jacobson, among others, has the speed that should result in short/mid-range completions over the middle followed by yards-after-catch. Instead he is sent only on deep routes or 5-yard curl routes that result in no yards after catch.Watch the way other spread offenses (e.g. Utah) are executed and notice how effective short quick slants and other crossing patterns are at gaining YAC.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:34 p.m.

When your offensive MVP is a guy named after pasta, you will not score much.

Those who think ESPN will help BYU’s recruiting, are up in the night. Players want to play on successful programs and BYU will never be that as an independent.

Coaching changes are best made after the season. Good luck JH.

• statman9 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:35 p.m.

I believe this is a good move in the right direction for BYU, the stats for the defense can back me up.

1) rushing yards allowed, 118th in the nation
    2) passing yards allowed, 28th in the nation (oh wait, everybody BYU has played doesn't need to pass, do they?)
    3) 102nd in total yards allowed
    4) 86th in the nation in points allowed

Ya, they change needed to happen and Bronco at defensive coordinator has always done a good job.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:56 p.m.

For all of Bronco's supposed great management skills and drawing on the best management models have to offer I am missing this one- I supose we could go with firing someone will motivate others but I doubt it in this case and motivated coaches does not translate into motivated players or improve their skill levels- this one baffels and is in many ways not in keeping with general BYU issues of avoiding open displays of possible contention in the system- will be interesting to see what else emerges over the next few days

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 4:59 p.m.

Frustrating season for sure. But I'm not going postal or Ute. I'm going to weather this storm and see it through. I don't want to ever be accused of being a fair weather fan. The coaches will work out all issues on the field and in the meeting room and we will be back to peak performance.

• buryme Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:03 p.m.

Bronco will probably take over as DC so he can strengthen his resume for next year.

• statman9 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:08 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised in the next couple days to maybe see Anae get fired and Doman or a new guy take over as OC

• abr2116 Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:08 p.m.

Too bad, the one non-LDS/African American coach is gone. More white, Mormon will not improve the defense. I'm not sure that anyone can improve the D for BYU, except that the quality of opponent is getting worse (exception of U and TCU).

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:09 p.m.

I, for one, actually think it is refreshing to see Bronco act like a head coach here. The coaching may have nothing to do with the poor performance of the defense but continuing to do the same is yielding the same poor results. I have been critical of Bronco but I still think he is good for BYU football. There is no disputing that he has cleaned up the program. Although I am surprised that he's replacing the DC in mid season, I think any change is a good thing when you're at rock bottom. Now I think he needs to follow through and change out the OC position also.
    I think doing this mid season is out of character for Bronco so I suspect there is more to this than poor performance of the defense. I am confident we'll get more details in due time.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:13 p.m.

This is a travesty! Robert Anae has got to go NOT Coach Hill. Mr Motivation, Coach Mendenhall should have fired himself before firing Coach Hill.

• PAC Member, are U? Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:19 p.m.

The tds and Utah could not be going in more opposite directions.

Utah is joining the strongest conference in the country and the tds is going Indy.

The tds can't buy a victory and Utah is undefeated.

Utah has the Rose Bowl in its sights. The tds has no bowl this year in its sights and no bowl affiliations when they're Indy.

It a great time to be a Ute.

I can't imagine what it's like to be a Cougar with no teeth or claws.

• region1fan Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:23 p.m.

Sad to see Hill used as a scapegoat.

• Executive Lee West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:23 p.m.

@ Observation-ist : The O-line is full of Veterans, and there was a great running back, he just could not wait till marriage to start a family. The problem is Jake is young was should be redshirted… Riley was not the ideal QB, but at least he knew the system by watching it. Anae is not a good OC. He never has been.
    @ Everyone: The defense is soft. Even the “studs” on the team are getting blown back. Hill was not adjusting his defense to the skill on the team. Bronco got complacent with his coaching and this is what he got. That is why you will never see Whit, up at the UoU relaxed. He knows that if he is not pushing his team and other coaches
    I can only hope that things can change for the better. BYU football is far too Big national to have years like this.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:27 p.m.

Defense has out preformed the offense. It was a mistake to fire Hill before Anae. Hill made good use of the limited talent he had while Anae has squandered the little talent on the offensive side of the ball. His inept play calling has totally rendered the offense impotent. I'd be curious to know why Hill was singled out over Anae.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:30 p.m.

First, Thank to coach Hill for the games where his defensive plans worked well in the past few years. Like he said he will land on his feet.

Second, to everyone jumping on Mendenhall.

Head coaches are supposed to manage the asst. coaches. Mendenhall has been TOO detached. All this year the defense had been poor in the first 1/2 then adjusted and done better. Those adjustments were probably made by Mendenhall?

The defense was not working. BYU should (inspite of injury and youth) hold teams like NV and USU to less than 20 points. BYU usually defends AF well. They did not. FSU is proving to be a decent team.

There has been NO pressure on the opposing QBs. The run defense has been a sieve.

See if the defense improves against SDSU and TCU. If it does not then you can jump on Mendenhall.

At least Bronco is directly involved now.

If Anae gets fired who replaces him? Who on the team could replace him as a better play caller this year?

BYU's defense has be poor and the offense predictable for years.

BYU will not be successful without fixing those 2 problems.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:34 p.m.

The defense has played horribly and has looked unprepared on a consistent basis.

Mendenhall has a great defensive mind. I'm sure he saw something he didn't like in the scheming, preparation and/or attitude in the defensive players.

There is definitely a problem when our secondary consistently gets burned for big plays and our defense as a whole is not playing assignment sound football.

• UteFan01 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:38 p.m.

Ahahahahahahahaha!

Steven S Jarvis

They also just need to have Alabama wear BYU jerseys and that may not even allow them to get a win.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:46 p.m.

No question the Y's defense stinks but it has stunk ever since Bronco took over. I'm sorry for Hill - hate to see this happen to anyone in the middle of the season. I never remember a firing ever taking place at the Y in the middle of the season and rarely after the season. I suspect things are getting quite hot in the athetic dept at the Y these days. I really don't blame the coaches unless they are simply not recruiting well. I suspect it is the BYU administration that has raised the bar in recuriting so high for academics and the honor code that the coaches can't get any quality player to come to Provo. If you want good fire side speakers ok but take the fall out of a terrible team record wise as a result. You take a look at the personel the Y has on defense and you see why they are so terrible - small, slow and unathletic. There are no Rob Morris, or Brady Popingas out there.

• Frazil man Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:48 p.m.

If you didn't see this coming look at the sutle hints, particularly after the AFA game and the comments that Bronco made. He gave Hill a rope to hang himself with and Hill did so. The defense is terrible, talent maybe is gone, but the defense has also never looked so lost at all times on the field. That being said, the offense is terrible, the play calling is not what I would consider condusive for developing a QB. How many 3rd and longs does Heaps have to be in, some are probably his fault, but the running game is being largly ignored again. Heck with Harvey the run came with after thoughts of "oh yeah I guess we should mix it up a little." I was on Anae's case last year, though you couldn't hear it unless you were at my house.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Oct. 2, 2010 5:48 p.m.

Maybe with a couple of offers pending from other schools like Portland State where Jaimie was an assistant years ago was a distraction...who really knows??? But BYU Has never been Defensive Secondary country ...!!!EVER!!!... to begin with. We're not Alabama and we are not in the SEC...so we don't draw the talent in the secondary. The Burn in the backfield is just something we live with... Something that we have to overcompensate somewhere else for. We live and die by the pass...NOT THE RUN...the pass is what gets us in the points faster...It's always been our Trump. In another related line about execution someone from Springville questioned my drawing Anae as a run oriented Coach when Heaps threw almost sixty passes vs 25- running plays. It's not the numbers that matter...it's the type and complexity of the passing plays that Anae orhestrated that matter. His running game for various reasons is no longer viable...So I don't see 5 and out as a real viable comback strategy in the passing game. Anae just doesn't have the Aerial plays that his players need to make a difference.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:03 p.m.

Again, bad decisions by Bronco

1) should not have fired Hill mid-season (does he not know who his coaches are before the season begins? How much respect are the players going to give their coaches now? - the players will now blame everything on the coaching)

2) Anae is more responsible for the losing streak. The offense could only muster 1 td against the 1st and 2nd string aggie defense. Not going to win any more games if you cant score.

3) Remember the fable of the mouse and the lion? BYU should have let Hill depart under circumstances that doesnt appear that he is being blamed for the horrible year. In a couple years, this may come back to haunt the cougars if they ever have to face a team coached by Hill, or if they want to get another D-Coordinator with some type of connection with Hill.

Oh well, leave it to Bobblehead Mendenhall to make silly decisions.

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:05 p.m.

Scapegoated

• U Student Y Fan Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:12 p.m.

JNA | 5:13 p.m. Oct. 2, 2010

Well said. If Hill was not getting the job done, he should have retained his DB duties--which Bronco thought was good enough to promote him in the first place--and Mendenhall could have assumed play-calling duties.

I am convinced that BYU's offensive success over the past 4 seasons was a result of having enough talent to cover up how awful the play calling has always been. Consider this, from 2006-2009, BYU had

1) 2 NFL QBs
    2) 3 NFL RBs (4 if Manase Tonga is in the league)
    3) 2-3 NFL TEs (Harline was just not an NFL-type TE but was among the best BYU has ever had)
    4) AUSTIN COLLIE
    5) a number of pro-caliber offensive linemen.

Though you can correctly argue that BYU is less talented this year, a competent coaching staff could do much better with this team.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:13 p.m.

Ref: Blue Rampage & Steven S. Jarvis
    Agreed. Anae is a nice guy and BYU can still beat not only Utah but possibly TCU also...That would be sweet....But let's face the music and pull the plug on the O.C. early and get the staffing situation corrected that is badly needed and get an early start on the 2011 prep. There is opportunity in this situation...but someone needs to reach out and grab it.

• IFJazzFan Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:28 p.m.

I'm huge BYU fan...

1) Recruiting very bad. Forget the Hype! Character and assignment cannot completely replace speed. Why does Whittingham win? Speed. Fault Bronco.

2) Receivers dropping balls all over the field. Fault? Bronco and Anae.

3) Lousy play calling. Fault Anae. The only time I saw BYU throw it as many times was in the Crowtow era. Sign of desperation. How about short methodical passes slowly marching down the field. Why lose downs on these repetitive long passes that the receivers drop anyway.

4) Slowest defense ever. Can't catch anyone running around them. Lousy recruiting again. Fault Bronco and Hill.

5) There had better be another reason for firing Hill. Bronco you are just if not more accountable. Anae as well. You guys might think about this. If it doesn't get fixed Holmoe will have to fire you too.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 6:37 p.m.

Bronco, the genious, has lost it.
    Funny how wall above average players the last few years made him look great. Now that they're average he's suddenly not so awesome anymore.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:11 p.m.

I was listening to ESPN radio or something. Trevor Matich (center on the national championship team and former NFLer) was one of the radio personalities. They asked him about the "firing" of Hill.

He said some insight things though I'm not sure I agree with all of them.

He said BYU is well coached and that it seemed to him Hill wasn't getting it done. He says BYU's players aren't "next level" type of players and quality coaching is crucial to them winning. Basically he seemed to be backing Bronco.

I really don't like the timing however. Hopefully, there are things going on behind the scenes that making this parting of ways a good thing (and for both parties). I hope that isn't because Hill is being made the scapegoat for what has happened.

I think since BYU is a church sponsored school and the church itself has had a peculiar history in regards to African-American membership, that any bad press in this area (of firing the African-American coach) can be problematic in BYU's recruiting efforts and with BYU's general perception in this area.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:12 p.m.

"I will join another team in a couple of weeks."

There is more going on here then a win loss record. Perhaps Hill already had a new position lined up for next year and had given notice. "Bronce, a friend of mine wants me to coach with him next year and I have accepted the position. I'll stick around throught the remainder of the year if you want me to." (We accept your resignation effective immediately). Otherwise there is no way he has a new coaching position lined up in 12 hours on a game day.

I remember when Bronco switched from DC to head coach. Some less than motivated offensive players quit the team. They knew what Bronco demanded, and were not willing to make the commitment. Interested to see how the defensive players react to the change.

Bronco made some comments during Fall camp regarding enjoying coaching special teams. I wondered if he would take a bigger role.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:14 p.m.

I would like to hear Bronco in his interviews say that he believes his team will be a contender to WIN. Saying that the outcome of any game is unimportant...is absolutely the wrong words to come out of a head coach's mouth.

I support the decision to have Hill leave. As a ticket holder, we needed to see that someone would be held accountable. A few other heads may roll.

BYU is a wonderful school. They will pull out of this. I hate the drama. But then Utah is so boring right now. We hate to take all the press and front page headlines. Go Cougars!

• Bo Jangles Meridian, ID
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:27 p.m.

Would have fired the OC before the DC. BYU's offense is anemic.

• ds7 American Fork, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 7:47 p.m.

how come our receivers never seem to be open?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:17 p.m.

The ONLY question left for ybu this season...

Who will lose the byu - new mexico battle, not only for the worse team in the league, but worse team in the nation!

GO LOBOS!

• NewMexicoUte Albuquerque, NM
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:19 p.m.

Was this the right choice by Mendenhall? Was Jaime Hill the real problem or was he made a Scapegoat??? Who knows. Everything happens for a reason. The BYU football program is in disarray. I firmly believe how BYU handled its quest for football independence making "under the table" deals here and there to NEVER be #2 to the UofU in the state of Utah, and never be outdone by Utah, especially in football. Now it has come full circle.

I firmly believe in karma, what goes around comes around. Pride and arrogance won't help you succeed in life, humility will, try that for a change. Practice what you preach.

• PapaSmurf Rocklin, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:35 p.m.

1) Dissension was known among coaches and players in August.

2) Jaime Hill is forceful about his opinion

3) Robert Anae was not hired by Bronco but by the administration, no way he gets chopped that fast but he will go at one point.

4) Bronco is in charge and not in danger of being fired. BYU has been very competitive, he toes the company line.

5) Bronco had enough power to fire Hill midseason (on conference weekend even) when BYU tries to have coaches find new jobs or resign. No way Bronco can do this unless he has the full backing of the administration.

6) What Jaime was saying will probably be heard now that the personality conflict is gone.

7) No way BYU goes into indepence with a new staff. They are starting to build for that now.

• Lehicoug Lehi, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:41 p.m.

Unfortunate it had to come to this. Good luck Jaime Hill...

Funny how many are just losing their minds over this bad start. I wonder how many of you have any life experience beyond 15 years of age...holy smoke!

Life is full of adversity and really, really, bad things happen...often when we don't expect it. You can learn a lot about yourself and those who are your so-called friends when the world starts caving in on you. I for one hope the team can insulate themselves from all this negativity swirling around in media-land and the internet.

My gut says true Cougar fans are not part of this assault on Mendenhall and the program in general...I smell a rat...like Ute fans relishing in a bad year for the Cougs.

If you're not with them, you're against them.

The Cougars will be fine....their track record speaks for itself.

Congrats Aggies on an excellent win.

GO COUGARS!!!

• JMT Springville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:48 p.m.

Mendenhall is not hitting on all cylanders. He started this poorly by trying to out think every great coach in the history of the game. Pretending like you can have two starting quarterbacks is just bad judgement.

Now this. Ug.

I'm blue all the way on this though I highly doubt this is the answer. And how many great coaches are going to come to BYU now? Knowing that if it goes south they may end up under the bus mid-year?

Defense is decent. The fact the offense is unable to stay on the field longer than three downs is the biggest problem. Manage some sustained drives and see how the defense responds.

I hope Coach Hill lands in a great situation. Classy guy! Best of luck.

• texlds Carrollton, TX
    Oct. 2, 2010 8:59 p.m.

Edwards showed us the way with his pick for a replacement - Norm Chow.

Now we're suffering with second rate hacks.

• ATL_UTE Atlanta, GA
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:02 p.m.

Bring back John Beck to replace Anae. He would do alot better now that he's had a chance to learn the NFL experience from a coaching standpoint.

• Born in Provo Logan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:05 p.m.

Hill has done a fine job. The games against Oklahoma, Tulane, Wyoming, and Oregon State are a few that come to mind from last season. In 2008, BYU went 10 quarters without allowing a single point.
    All the best to you coach Hill!
    Thanks for giving your best in Provo!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:07 p.m.

@Howard S.

Memo

MidLevelCuriosities?...

DoNot...GetTheirOwn NetworkTVDeals!

Oklahoma lost 5 games last year, they're 5-0, Top 10, this year.

Michigan won 2 games 2 years ago, they're back.

Trust me Howie. BYU will rise again.

For it is they which have a "Big-Time" Network TV deal, their own brodadcst facility and Network.
    As for Legacy? Check out their Hall.

Utes, just remember, BYU's down year

(all great "Legacy Programs" have them from time to time)

does nothing to elevate Utah's stature at all.

Utah will always be...

Oklahoma State not Oklahoma,
    Vanderbilt not Tennessee,
    Washington State not Washington,
    Texas Tech not Texas,
    Tulane not LSU,
    Creighton not Nebraska,
    Indiana not Notre Dame,
    Mich. St. not Michigan,
    Marquette not Wisconsin,
    Ohio not Ohio State
    Villanova not Penn State
    Central Florida not FSU, Florida or Miami,

All Legacy Football Programs, can withstand a bad year or two here and there, and survive.

What Utah needs to worry about is by not being a "Legacy Football Program", you had better never fall off, because you won't recover, ask Washington State or Colorado.

Your November is coming, as are your perpetual 6-6 seasons in the PAC12

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:26 p.m.

So when the defense doesn't perform any better does this mean that Bronco is going to get fired too?

And does the same go for the offense? Will Anae be gone after next week?

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:28 p.m.

Maybe Bronco should become the defensive coordinator and BYU find a new head coach.

• Urpo Sherwood, OR
    Oct. 2, 2010 9:53 p.m.

Wow. I finally have time to sit and write all of you and tell it how it really is. Look's like I am just in time.

New defensive coach has been in the works for some time. Each coach is given three games. A fourth game is a bonus. Once a coach has proven that his special area is not performing, then the head coach gets to choose another. Four games is a season for an assistant.

Head coaches make this decision. Works this way everywhere; we just don't hear about it way out here in the mountains.

Head coaches get four years. Just the way it is.

By the way, Utah State is a good team, entertaining.

BYU is fun to watch. Go to a game sometime. Sing the anthem, buy a hot dog, take your kids for the first time, take your wife, experience the ups and downs.

Football season is great.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:21 p.m.

I tend to agree with PapaSmurf.

I suspect this move was precipitated by Holmoe. Both Mendenhall and Holmoe were at the meeting. There seemed to be no negotiation or option it was resign or be fired.

The talent is on the defense. Much of the talent is young. They should be playing better.

At least something is being done. Maybe this will shake this team up enough they actually start playing.

It is good for Bronco to take over the D. He is a Defensive coach. The offense can only generate 15 points. That is not likely to change soon.

The only hope BYU has against SDSU is if the defense starts playing great.

TCU and especially Dalton are not nearly as good this year. Dalton just turned in another game (against CSU) where his QB rating is not much better than Heaps.

If BYU can pressure Dalton and stop the running game they may have a shot if they get 16 points.

However, they will have to stop telegraphing each play to TCU. The TCU D knows BYU's plays better than Anae.

BYU has needed major change for years. This year is making it obvious.

• Jrifkin48 Fayetteville, NC
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:22 p.m.

Look at the bright side Cougar fans. In 2 years when these stud Freshman are firing on all cylinders we will forget this season ever happened. Look at how bad the Utes were before Urban Meyer came in and they managed to hang on during those bad years. We can manage one bad year if Utah could manage decades of ineptness. And Utah fans need to bug off about BYU going Independent. You guys got the PAC-12 (Though you were plan B) BYU going independent seems to have personally ticked you all off.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:23 p.m.

This was in the works for awhile. I doubt Hill feels blindsided by this. When good players leave the program as a result of words with a coach and it happens over and over and over again, then perhaps the coach needs to go.

As far as firing Anae goes, this is the O-coordinator that has produced the all-time winningest QB, receiver, TE and RB at BYU.

Anae has called plays this year that had the receiver caught the ball or had our QB delivered the ball to a wide open receiver, then our PPG would be higher.

As per usual, fan insight and speculation is far, far from the truth.

• runnin.whitehorse Woodinville, WA
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:24 p.m.

I don't know much about this coach firing bit, at least it's something. However, somebody better get fired up or somebody's going to want to take their name off of "LaVell Edwards Stadium". It isn't about what kind of season it is, it's about how bad you want it, win or lose aside.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:48 p.m.

Hill did a good job; we don't beat Oklahoma and Utah without him and his recruits.

• buryme Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 2, 2010 10:57 p.m.

Hill's firing has to be for something other than bad coaching. If it was for bad coaching they would ALL be gone.

• VariedHue Logan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:04 p.m.

I thought Bronco was the DC. Hill was just a figurehead. However, as an Aggie fan I can remember when Chris Pella was the coach here at USU and he actually had a lot of talented player but could only win a couple of games a year. I heard later that he. Tolerated a lot of bickering between assistant coaches and he didn't do anything about it. They always played BYU tough so I guess they all worked together when BYU was coming that week.

So, if there is problems on the staff then Bronco is doing the right thing. I do wish you luck the rest of the season. On paper, SDSU should clobber you but football is funny that way and since it is in Provo, I think you have a chance.e

• The Cucamongan Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:07 p.m.

Wow! This action really reveals the character of the man in charge. Maybe Bronco should fire Robert Anae next week when BYU gets trashed by San Diego State and then himself after the TCU whooping when he will sport a sparkling record of 1 - 6 with no bowl bid in sight. ESPN must really feel good about the deal they put together with BYU and its independence. really feel good about the deal they put together. Listen up Cougar nation, let's give Norm Chow a send off present before he retires and let him be head coach for three years and have him develop Jake Heaps. Norms's contract expires after this season with UCLA. BYU is all about drama these days. Let's see this play out!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:08 p.m.

Big J
    "There are lots of problems with BYU’s program but the main one is the lack of talent. You could put a top quality Boise or Utah staff with those players and the results would be the same."

Not true. According to Scouts BYU has the best recruits of all midmajors. In the last 10 years its recruiting class ranks 46, Utah 68, TCU 70, and Boise 72.

NFL talent created in the same period: Utah 27, TCU 24, BYU 20, and Boise 12.

National Stage:
    Utah 2-0 #4 and #2
    Boise 2-0 #4 and #4
    TCU 0-1 #6

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:15 p.m.

We know that it took some major issues for BYU to make this change during the season. We do not know the details and do not need to know. I'm sorry to see this happen, I wish him good luck in the future. BYU is slow to pull the trigger on matters. If I were looking ONLY at on the field performance I think I would have made other moves first. Still, we don't know any other details. Let's hope this is the end and we do not see several players leave because of this.

• fyre Aurora, CO
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:18 p.m.

Wow... What a lot of Drama going on at byu. Nice move by Bronco and the byu PR machine to wrench the headline away from the beating the "individuals" on the football team took from the Aggies and the better coach - Gary Anderson. His second year and he delivered a beating to byu...something not done in 20 trys.

Hill has nothing to lose by being fired since his contract is good through 2011.

It is unfortunate for the athletes and young men playing on the byu team to have to deal with the false hype and then the total crumbling of the team as an actual TEAM unit.

Bronco distanced himself again from the failure by firing Hill...Excuses, excuses but at some point Bronco needs to step up and admit winning is important and he is the head coach and the buck stops with him....but I have always said Bronco is the angel of death bringing in the end of NCAA Div I sports for byu...look at the steps: Joining the WCC and football going independent....next step?

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:19 p.m.

Hey I will take going to the pack 12 as plan B any day! Utah is a great choice for them and they understood that. Great research university, great team, great city and TV market. They really wanted Texas and it's buddies to come, but Utah worked well for them also. I'm happy with that.

I think the way BYU has been coached this year has been horrible, bronco playing the two qb game and benching heaps without letting him get into any rhythm early in the season was the most ridiculous thing. Heaps will be a fine qb, he has poise, he is mature, but the way he has been treated has only complicated his growth, I don't think Bronco has been very smart. Now letting Hill go, Bronco must be dang sure of himself.

• fyre Aurora, CO
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:22 p.m.

Oh and one more thing, Norm Chow as head coach, Ty Detmer as O coord, Gary Anderson as D coord (not happening but it would work).

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:28 p.m.

I remember when Bronco was only the DC here at BYU with Crowton. The offense lead by Crowton was horrid but the defense was amazing. Things are bad at BYU all the way through. The defense is a good place to start fixing things. A dominate defense can set the momentum right win games for you. Just look at the Steelers this season. They been running a 4 QB system and they're the best team in the NFL. Kiesel's TD was sweet. Maybe we can get him to come back and teach the WR's a thing or two.

• Jazzsmack Holladay, UT
    Oct. 2, 2010 11:30 p.m.

ANAE has got to GO,

when he does not have experienced quality players, like hall collie pitta unga, covering for his ineptness,

it shows,

lack of displine and execution, dropped passes, bad and predictive play calling, not picking a starting qb, or starting te,

those players mentioned before succeeded inspite of ANAE,

AnAe should have gone before HIll,

but apparently their was internal dissention and problems with hill,

But what BYU really needs is a coach like wittingham or meyer,

who have the fire and desire and discipline to win,

and the know how to instill that winning fire and discipline into the team.

you can see just looking at them,

but you do not see that with Bronco and his quiet ways

YOu must EITHER be like Lavell Edwards and be a great administrator with vision who can hire the RIGHT coaches,

or be that coach,

but you that need fire and discipline.

• Bo Jangles Meridian, ID
    Oct. 3, 2010 12:21 a.m.

Some of you speak about Holmoe like he's some football genius. The guy went 0 and 50 as the Cal head coach

• Trapper Vancouver, WA
    Oct. 3, 2010 12:23 a.m.

There is more to it than coaching performance. If you have followed BYU/Jaime Hill closely over the last 5 years and have some true insight into the program, you will know that he has had several conflicts with players and coaches. At the end of the day it was not the right fit. It was a train wreck waiting to happen. BYU knew it and Hill knew it.

Hill was in it for himself looking to build his resume for the next opportunity...."it's part of the business." His motivations were not about BYU and what BYU football is trying to achieve.

It looks/feels like we know how Hill is going to treat and talk about his experience at BYU....he's already admitted that he forced BYU to fire him and not resign because he wasn't going to let BYU get away with that (public relations).

Bronco has made a good first step and he needs to make more.

Go Cougs!

• Smoothcall Palookaville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 12:33 a.m.

You've had 4 straight seasons with 10+ wins. Since when is that not good enough?? Hill's firing is not about coaching the defense. It's about finding a scapegoat. It's about appeasing unrealistic expectations from a fanbase that thinks competing for the BCS is a possibility. It's about "appearing" to keep up with the Joneses. But it's all window dressing. BYU's football woes go much deeper than replacing coordinators.

They are having a tough time recruiting playmakers, epsecially on the defensive side. They may have one of the worst wide receiver corps in college football. Jake Heaps: highly touted. So was Ben Olsen. How did he turn out? What we are witnessing, for a variety of reasons, is the unavoidable decline of a proud program. If Heaps is indeed the next great thing, I fear he will not have the weapons around him to succeed.

BYU may get 4 wins this season, 5 would be a minor miracle. Winning 10 games again is not on the horizon for some time. Let's appreciate the past 4 seasons, for the future is bleak.

• Kramer Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 12:35 a.m.

Jamie is a good coach but not a good coordinator. he is too mean and disrespectful for the BYU type athlete. Alot of kids don't respond well to the demeaning tactics of Coach Hill. I wish him the best. I know that football is a rough and tumble sport but coaches need to relize that they are shaping young mens lives and need to treat them with respect.

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2010 1:04 a.m.

I would love to know the back story about this firing. Obviously the performance of BYU's defense on the field was a huge factor in Hill's dismissal, but apparently there have been ongoing personality clashes between Hill and a number of players and between Hill and several other coaches. It is also no secret that Hill has had some sympathy for certain players who thought that the Honor Code was a bit too restrictive for them. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the defense responds with Mendenhall taking direct control. Like many of you, I wish Coach Hill well. He really gave his all to BYU during his tenure here.

• JDS1 Ivins, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 2:19 a.m.

Hold on everyone. This is a good thing. Hill was a lousy d-coordinator. Did you see the horrible schemes used against Air Force and Fla St? The talent is there so I do blame Hill. Glad he's gone.

However, the offense is a different can of worms. As erratic as Heaps has been, he made two great throws against USU. Both should have gone for TDs (one to Ashworth and one to Diluigi). If they catch those balls, the whole outcome is different. I think the Y receivers are horrible this year and that's one of the problems.

Where's Collie when you need him? Oh yea that's right, leading the NFL in receiving.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 3:21 a.m.

Hill was sacrificed as part of the giant PR machine that is college football.

I doubt that Hill played a major role in BYU's current situation, yet Mendenhall had no choice but to give the public SOMETHING as to explain why BYU is 1-3 right now.

When your team is 1-3 with a three-game losing skid, there's no way Mendenhall could've let the status quo go on for much longer. Fans expect teams to make changes when they start losing because most fans feel it's intolerable to just do nothing.

99 percent of the blame for BYU's woes lies with its players. Many are young an inexperienced, and thus BYU's record reflects that. But Mendenhall just HAD to make a move... ANY move, to appease the fans.

It's too bad that's the way it is in college and pro sports. Someone always takes the fall so coaches and fans can have something to blame. In this case, it cost Hill his job.

It's really too bad.

• eastcoastcoug Ridgefield, CT
    Oct. 3, 2010 5:35 a.m.

Fire Bronco and Anae. These coaches obviously cannot recruit or develop talent. Bronco obviously wants to be a Defensive Coordinator again. He has never had a stellar Defense at BYU. Name another 1-A coach who keeps control of an assistant's job.

So much money invested in facilities, technology, PR. BYU will get "exposure" only by doing what Boise and Utah have done: get to and win a BCS bowl. I'm tired of hearing the Honor Code as an excuse. BYU needs coaches who know how to recruit the best and get top performance!!!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 6:59 a.m.

It's not so much the coach as the players that make an offense or defense go. It sounds like Hill had some personal issues that made this firing take place which is unusual especially for the Y. Some say Robert Anae should go which is silly. Take a look at the last 4 years of offense and re-ask the question. BYU's offense led the nation in most offensive categories over the past seveal years so Robert Anae is not the problem. The problem is simply personel...poor quality personel athletically speaking. BYU is simply terrible on both sides of the ball and that is all about talent and they don't have it. Now you could blame this on coaching if you talk about recruiting and not realizing you would need a strong running game this year with a new QB ...then I would say Bronco is fully to blame. As far as what is happening (or not happening) on the field however this is all about player talent and not about coaching.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 8:13 a.m.

Wow look at the ute fans coming out of the woodwork to tell BYU how to run their program.

You guys are hilarious.

You can tell who they are because they spell everything incorrectly.

Listen to Jan on 1280 tomorrow morning.

He will tell you a little more than your little minds can handle right now.

There are plenty of reasons for this happening right now instead of at the end of the year.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Oct. 3, 2010 8:16 a.m.

They gave him poor players and fired him because they didn't play well.
    Another dark day in BYU athletic history.

• 93 COUGAR Orem, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 8:17 a.m.

Funny how the poor ute fans are so worried about us. Enjoy us having a down year. They don't happen too often.

You guys know how it feels. We are finally getting a taste of what it is like. I can live with that. After all, basketball is just around the corner...

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 8:28 a.m.

Even when BYU stinks, they are still a bigger story than Utah.

This goes to the argument, that the Majority, does not really care about Utah, win lose or draw.

When Utah went to the Pac 10, they were so revered in the eyes of the league (Not), that they were told you get no revenue sharing for the first year, 5 years later you may have a larger cut, but, the new TV deal has not been signed yet, so we'll see.

Reality...Utah, with Washington St. will not be sharing equal TV monies with USC, Oregon, UCLA or Washington, at all.

The new model has already been established, (See Texas/Oklahoma and the BIG 12).

What really bugs the Utes is the fact that BYU has enough Clout, Cachet, Legacy, and Respect, that
    THE Major Sports Network, ESPN, was willing to cut a deal with BYU alone.

One bad year is irrelevent, Legacy Programs are not built or lost in 1 year or 10.

This bugs the Utes to no end, not only will BYU realize more TV revenue than Utah, they (BYU) will also have every game on National TV, Basketball & Football.

ADVANTAGE Recruiting: BYU

• Jrifkin48 Fayetteville, NC
    Oct. 3, 2010 8:46 a.m.

Jake Heaps is the real deal. Great arm strength, quick release and great work ethic. As the game slows down for Heaps we will all forget about John Beck and Max Hall real fast. As far as the play calling and offensive problems this year I got to believe it has something to do with the Tight Ends. That is the one variable BYU is lacking this year. Anae's offense in the past has relied on great Tight Ends to create mismatches. This offense with a few tweeks will take off. Unfortunately the defense is what it is.

• Disco Vega Oakdale, CA
    Oct. 3, 2010 8:49 a.m.

I'm just thankful I'm a Runnin' Ute and haven't hitched myself to the cougs wagon, which incidently has no wheels, no handle, and is obviously completly rusted out...and to think they thought they were the chosen team to go to the PAC10...what planet were the cougs on???

Oh, and by the way...the Church is still true just in case some of the coug fans are begining to waiver...

• Big R La Palma, CA
    Oct. 3, 2010 8:53 a.m.

now in typical state of Utah fashion, Hill will be bad-mouthed. I've pointed out that in Utah you are a hero until you are no longer "with us" then you are a bum. Remember Karl Malone? How about every other Jazz player who left the team? BYU and Utah fans are some of the worst in the country. Such a shame when both have good programs.

• Kameron South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 9:33 a.m.

Here we go. The dominoes are falling.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 9:41 a.m.

How is this going to help BYU score points?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 3, 2010 9:53 a.m.

@Big J:

I completely disagree; especially about BSU's staff. BSU has had several rebuilding years and very few players go into the NFL, yet they put out winning programs every season. When was the last time BSU had a losing season? A down year for them is 1 loss. No, BSU has the formula. They know how to WIN with the talent they have, no matter the quality of talent. I have no doubt that BSU coaches with BYU's current roster would win 10 games.

• lanius Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 9:54 a.m.

Bluto - delusions! Independence equals a money grab. That's it. The sobering thing to think about is maybe the last 4 to 5 years are as good as it's going to get for your legacy program. If your recruiting has (and will be) so good, where are the athletes? With a schedule full of question marks and WAC teams or powerhouses such as Central Florida your savior ESPN will regulate you to the worst times and worst channels. If BYU continues to limit what recruits come in it all doesn't matter anyway.

Good program - yes
    Legacy Program - not anymore than anyone else....

Good luck in independence. Spend the money wisely.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 9:58 a.m.

Bluto,

Name one "Legacy" program that has not been to a BCS Bowl. They don't exist. Saying byu is a "Legacy" program in football is like saying Christian Rock is "Rock".

I really feel sorry for byu. This has been a terrible year for them. Watching the Utes get invited to an elite BCS Conference. Watching several recruits jump ship. Watching the Utes handle their leaving the MMC with style, class and professionalism.

All of this must be akin to watching your older brother going steady with Megan Fox while you are stuck dating Rosie O'Donnel.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Oct. 3, 2010 9:59 a.m.

We all need to wrap our heads around the fact that we are now beginning one long spring-fall camp that will finally result in a very solid team by September 2011. Don't look for wins during that time but look for individuals to step up and progress.

• OlpuebloguyInWyo Evanston, WY
    Oct. 3, 2010 10:17 a.m.

The root problem was certainly deeper than performances on the field. Remember, there are 5 goals of the team and the 5th one is football. So, it is deeper than football as to why he was released AND, they must have had a track record of disciplinary issues. In my business, unless there is a serious breach of policies or procedures, there must be coaching plans enacted or written disciplinary measures taken beforehand. In other words, a history of performance issues. So, if performance is not attained and it is time to terminate, then the employees knows what is going to happen. Hill knew it. Something was going on and it appears that the Bronco most likely worked with him, to no avail.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Oct. 3, 2010 12:56 p.m.

Bluto,

BYU has had a lot of football success in the last thirty years, but to suggest they are a "legacy program" of the likes of the teams you listed on the right in your first post is a stretch. Only BYU homers would make that leap.

But since you named names, I had to check the numbers. According to BYU's own website (which is pretty good), the Cougars not only have a losing record against the "legacy" teams, but they also have a losing record against the teams in the left column that you obviously don't respect.

Don't you hate it when facts get in the way of your argument?

I for one am not "bugged" by BYU's new deal with ESPN. I am happy with the Utes' Pac 10 move, and am anxiously awaiting to see how independence treats BYU. But the Cougs had better start doing better against quality opponents or their 3 games per year will be on Fridays on ESPN 8 - The Ocho!

• Popeye the Sailor Man Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 1:08 p.m.

Bluto I thinksk you need to calm down or else I'll whips out me Spinach. Anywho look BYU isk absolutely terrible thisk year. The question now isk can they pull out of thisk nose dive soon. I regrets too so say itsk but perhaps the legacy isk dying out. Also the defense has been terrible since oh say 2000 and that needs to be fixed. Here's to hopin the Y picks it up in the years to come. Perhaps less pickle juice and more spinach. A gu gu gu gu gu.

I'm Popeye the sailor man. (toot toot)

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 1:11 p.m.

The only problem with this is that the head coach's defenses were worst before Hill than after his arrival. Here is one of the problems, if you are going to run a 3-4 defense you have to have speed and quickness in the linebacking corp, and quality and depth at nose tackle. The Y does not have these in the program.

Coach Hill handled this about as professionally as it could be handled. The Y not so much.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 1:27 p.m.

perhaps BYU should run a 5-2-4 at least then they could stop the run. Something they haven't done...ever.

• cougar76 Provo, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 1:49 p.m.

Which side of the ball has the most problems. If you are going to fire someone, fire the guy in charge of the offense. It does not matter how many points we give up if we can't score any on offense. The wrong guy got fired yesterday.

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2010 4:37 p.m.

It will be very interesting to see how much Coach Mendenhall reveals about this firing at his news conference tomorrow. Don't expect the local sports journalists to press him much -- for whatever reason, the sports media types here have always seemed reluctant to push Mendenhall to answer questions that he doesn't want to answer (interestingly, they seem to have no such inhibitions when questioning Utah's Whittingham). If our local sports reporters were any good they already would have gotten the real story through leaks and carefully cultivated confidential sources within the BYU football program. Coach Mendenhall could augment his income by giving seminars to other college coaches on how to intimidate those who cover their teams.

• Ida_UTE_byu_daho Lehi, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2010 5:18 p.m.

It is clear there are some very strong fans in the cougars corner. Which is the way it should be. But it is a fact of human nature when you become emotionaly fully invested, you lose rational perspective. So let me help you:

1) Outside of the true blue cougar fan BYU is not a national level legacy program. A WAC legacy program? A MWC legacy program? Fine you can provide evidance to support that position.

2)Something is fishy in Denmark, when an asst. coach is fired mid-season. The negatives of that coach had to clearly out weigh the positives, and most of those must have been in house, maybe tomorrows press release will add light, but I doubt it.

3) Heaps is young with a ton of potential, but he is still young. His O-line has underachieved, his running game is below average, and his receivers have struggled. He will be a much better QB in the future, but please don't compare him to Andy Dalton this year.

4) Stop hating on UTE success, BYU and UTAH are where they are because of choices made and consequences suffered.

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 8:04 p.m.

"CougarForever | 4:37 p.m. Oct. 3, 2010
    Holladay, Utah
    -----------
    They don't press him because he is so verbose. After he takes 10 minutes and a thousand words to say what boils down to a 30 second answer, there isn't any time left.

• tcom2011 Fort Worth, TX
    Oct. 3, 2010 8:38 p.m.

Sorry to lose you Hill, I hope that you all goes well for you. Does anyone know when Apo gets back in, we need some receivers who can catch more consistently. If the offense can get going then that gives the defense a chance. Especially when the D is on the field twice as long as the offense. Here is to hoping, Go Cougs!!!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 9:03 p.m.

Apo is out 4 to 6 weeks. Won't matter cause Heaps will just over throw him.

Bronco had to throw someone under the bus. What will happen when they lose to SDST and UNLV?

Embarrasing.

• Utah74 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2010 9:54 p.m.

It's wrong to single out one coach, BYU has more problems than just defense.
    It's wrong for Bronco to take over the defense, he's the head coach.

But Hey, I'm just a Utah fan, don't listen to me.

• Speed_Altitude Centerville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 10:34 p.m.

If the offense isn't producing that means your defense is always on the field. Seems like the offensive coordinator should have been let go too.

• Big Blue Fan West Babylon, NY
    Oct. 3, 2010 11:15 p.m.

Puleeze, could they get rid of Anae already? He should have been given the pink slip years ago.

• BYU Student Provo, UT
    Oct. 3, 2010 11:56 p.m.

You know what, you should all run BYU, all you that think firing Jaime was such a terrible idea. We don't know the backstory, we don't really know anything except that Hill didn't fit in well and was troublesome for players and coaches alike. I do know this: BYU can score points and has scored many points through the past 5 years. Even when we were slowed against good teams, we still put points on the board. It's clear that this season, we are not able to do that. Receivers drop passes, our QB overthrows the fade routes, our tight ends aren't contributing, we haven't got much of a run game. Fine. But that comes with time.

Defense is different. We have plenty of players, but we gave up tons of points last season to teams that weren't terribly amazing. We managed to have enough heart to stop Oklahoma and Oregon State, but really, our defense doesn't penetrate and doesn't get it done. But they could. Here's to hiring a good d-coordinator. Hopefully Hill finds the right place for him. But contention breeds chaos.

• LEDSFW Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 4, 2010 12:26 a.m.

I am sad for Coach Hill, but not surprised. I like seeing our defenders playing in the same zip code as the ball. The corners almost never press - which means they do NOT do the very thing that tends to work at stopping BYU year in and year out. Pressing disrupts the pass patterns enough to make timing throws very difficult to complete. Our defenders have had so much space to cover the receivers are simply playing catch in the free zones. BYU has great athletes and terrible schemes. Now if someone would just convince Bronco to dump Norm Chow... er I mean Robert Anae. I nearly had a heart attack when yet again I watched BYU run on third down to the short side of the field (12th defender is the sideline dude). He does this constantly and he just needs to learn the game. He's a lineman Bronco...he's Moose from the Archie Comics, not an offensive genius. Let Doman call the plays, PLEASE!

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Oct. 4, 2010 8:45 a.m.

Jaime's defense hasn't been getting the job done. It's been vanilla, and somewhat effective, mostly, because great offenses that have helped to cover up most of the warts on defense.

Jaime's defenses just aren't getting any better.

Jaime almost never puts pressure on opposing offenses, doesn't anticipate, can't cover receivers, hardly ever blitzes, in other words, his bend but don't break defense is completely ineffective against good offenses.

Sad to see Jaime leave, but it's time to bring in someone who knows how to get the most from his talent.

• WinSum Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 4, 2010 11:00 a.m.

The offensive coordinator seems to also have some fault as well. Without making some 3rd down conversions and giving the defense a breather....maybe the focus has been too one sided....?

Long bombs and dropped passes and poor blocking on the OL seem to be contributing factors. Maybe the entire coaching staff is out of sync...?

Good luck righting the ship....

• 3genUTE Chicago, IL
    Oct. 4, 2010 12:11 p.m.

Bronco is neurotic to begin with, but now he is showing signs of cracking. Can you imagine LaVell throwing a coach under the team bus in the midst of a team failure to win?

"Bronc" is no LaVell Edwards, who was able to represent his religion without shoving it down the throats of his players, many of whom are there to play football, not go to sacrament meeting.

The LDS Church is also showing signs of wanting to use the football team as a proseletyzing tool- a big mistake.

How's about you fire "Bronc", and figure out how you are going to schedule consistently good teams an an "independent"?